Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119911
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 16:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What band are you in to now?
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: What band are you in to now?
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 10:55
 It could be someone you just discovered or an old favorite you are revisiting.
Lately for me it's been King Crimson & Marillion. How about you? 

Replies:
Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 11:25
Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens

What an amazing album this is! It has even managed to prematurely divert my attention away from All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light, itself an amazing album.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 11:35
Lately been playing The Doors.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 12:26
Mister Knopfler

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 12:41
Motorpsycho, their high points are excellent.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: VicRelayer
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 14:32
This year my greatest discovery is Roy Buchanan, his You're Not Alone.

I'm not a great Blues Rock fan, but this album mixes that with Prog and Space Rock elements, and it's simply awesome. 

Posted By: hieronymous
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 14:48
I was listening to a lot of Miles Davis - mostly the transitional band between the second great quintet and the electric period:

But I picked up the Grateful Dead Pacific Northwest 1973-74 set (all with store credit!) so that's what I'm spinning the past three days:

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 15:22
Maustetytöt

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 15:33
The Lennon Sisters

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 15:52
Stephen Bruner, known as Thundercat.   Doing some amazing progressive/regressive fusion~

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjM5MqHg8nhAhUKwMQHHbFXD_oQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scpr.org%2Fprograms%2Fthe-frame%2F2017%2F07%2F18%2F58037%2Fmeet-thundercat-the-go-to-bassist-for-everyone-fro%2F&psig=AOvVaw2WCCUAdb2fv6_mgGSbxZvb&ust=1555105877983455" rel="nofollow">Image result for no one calls thundercat stephen bruner

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 16:20
Praying and preaching with Slade Smile

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 17:31
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens

What an amazing album this is! It has even managed to prematurely divert my attention away from All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light, itself an amazing album.

I'm pretty sure this is the correct answer.

Ikarus - Mosaicmic
The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits
Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Smells Funny
Charming Hostess - Eat

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 19:34
The Martin Barre Band, a great opportunity to hear his talents as a guitarist and composer.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: April 12 2019 at 06:31
Cellar Darling, Eluveitie and Devin Townsend

All 3 have released superb albums in the last month or so!

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: April 12 2019 at 07:08
Tritonus, oddly I have just recently discovered them, though they are compared to Triumvirat a lot.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: April 12 2019 at 10:25
Godley & Creme's "Body of Work."  Crazy, man.

Posted By: Single Coil
Date Posted: April 12 2019 at 13:10
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Cellar Darling, Eluveitie and Devin Townsend

All 3 have released superb albums in the last month or so!

The Devin Townsend album is wild... I love it! But it's just too much for my family who is into Addicted & Sky Blue.

-------------
If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!

Posted By: Ozexpat
Date Posted: April 12 2019 at 18:12
Some new, some rediscovered;
Anubis
Blackfield
Caligula's Horse
God is an Astronaut
Gordian Knot
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Karnivool
Kikagaku Moyo
Mono
The Mute Gods
Unitopia
Wolf People

-------------
And for a moment when our world had filled the skies, Magic turned our eyes,
To feast on the treasure set for our strange device

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 01:37
Haken

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 20:57
Hi,

For a joke, I am usually listening to things that PA rarely mentions ... yesterday it was the Sadistic Mika Band. And then some of the solo albums by Simon House ... it's just more interesting to me to hear something and not have to be influenced or twisted by someone else's opinion.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 22:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

For a joke, I am usually listening to things that PA rarely mentions ... yesterday it was the Sadistic Mika Band. And then some of the solo albums by Simon House ... it's just more interesting to me to hear something and not have to be influenced or twisted by someone else's opinion.

Other people’s opinions can be very damaging. I had believed those telling me the quality of Tangerine Dream’s albums declined steadily until becoming worthless at some point in the late 1980s and was trying to work out exactly when that was. Having bought a cheap 10 CD compilation a couple of months ago out of curiosity to see just how bad they were in the 1990s though I discovered they started to become interesting to me again around 1997 and have gone on to find many worthwhile albums from the the last 20 years. Maybe people will say they’re no longer “progressive electronic” but I happen to like drum machines, loops, techno, remixes and ambient and they fit in more with my “non-prog” collection. So what I am into now is this later Tangerine Dream.

-------------
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 10:02
I've been listening to a lot of Beatles lately. From early Beatlemania stuff like "Meet the Beatles" and "A Hard Day's Night" - soundtrack, to Sgt Pepper and The White Album. The other day I listened to the "Let It Be" album all the way through, very underrated in their catalogue imo. So yeah the Beatlemaniac in me has been coming out big time as of late lol.

Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 12:23
^ the great thing about LiB is the relaxed, under-produced garage sound they got. 

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 12:40
Neal Morse, I can't get enough of his music.

Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 13:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ the great thing about LiB is the relaxed, under-produced garage sound they got. 

Yes, I noticed that. And also the songs are just really good, the obvious ones like the title track, Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Get Back.. but also stuff like One After 909, Dig a Pony, For You Blue, Two of Us. It's just a really good album to my ears. But then so much of their stuff is that it kind of gets lost in the shuffle I think.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 14:08
As I made that transitional albums poll I ended up spinning all those Miles Davis-records that sort of makes a bridge from his second great quartet to the electric period. Namely Miles in the Sky, Filles De Kilimanjaro + the later released Water Babies and other relevant material such as: Circle in the Round, Water in the Pond, Teo's Bag, Side Car, Splash... from different collections I own.

Other than that i've been obsessing with bellydance music from the 1970's. Some of its just crazy awesome. If you like prog for its rhytmic complexities, virtuosity and stuff... or Secret Chiefs 3 there's really no reason this couldn't/shouldn't similarily blow your mind

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:08
Klaus Doldinger's Passport

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Yes, I noticed that. And also the songs are just really good, the obvious ones like the title track, Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Get Back.. but also stuff like One After 909, Dig a Pony, For You Blue, Two of Us. It's just a really good album to my ears. But then so much of their stuff is that it kind of gets lost in the shuffle I think.
Oh the songs are terrific.  Have you seen the rooftop concert from '69 ?  

[/QUOTE]

-------------

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:53
PFM and De Andrè. 

Next month I'll see PFM in concert singing De Andre's songs.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 17:45

Oh the songs are terrific.  Have you seen the rooftop concert from '69 ?  

No. I tried to watch it on YouTube but says it's blocked on copyright grounds. The Beatles people are almost like the Harry Potter people lol. Oh well, guess I can't really blame them.

Date Posted: April 14 2019 at 21:02
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Right on!Thumbs Up

Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 07:57
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Other people’s opinions can be very damaging. I had believed those telling me the quality of Tangerine Dream’s albums declined steadily until becoming worthless at some point in the late 1980s and was trying to work out exactly when that was.

I'm one of those folks that likes to EXPERIENCE the music on his own ... opinions don't really matter and ideas neither. And, I guess, that you could say that I speak like that here, because I get tired of the pop comments by so many folks about their favorite guitarist ... geee, which girl has the best _____________??? It's not even about the person, or his/her art anymore ... it's just a preference!

There are a lot of new things out there, and some older folks also doing some great work, that are not getting credit, because we pasted "progressive" to a bathroom wall in some john in the late 1960's and early 1970's ... and yeah ... it's hard to repeat "time" ... but music and the arts? A very different animal, and people today can do "progressive" as good, and better than yesterday ... but we think that Shakespeare (so to speak!) is the only writer for 300 years ... because no school or anyone reads anything else except pulp, or cheap commercial imitations of the real thing ... they sound good ... that's about it, but the vanity behind it is ... too much perfume ... sickening!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 09:13
Hopelessly lost in an RPI fog only occasionally relieved by Neal Morse.

Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 14:44
^ That's a good fog to be lost in

-------------

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:00
My big four at the moment seem to be...
The Neal Morse Band
Haken
Camel
Gentle Giant

Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:09
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Other people’s opinions can be very damaging. I had believed those telling me the quality of Tangerine Dream’s albums declined steadily until becoming worthless at some point in the late 1980s and was trying to work out exactly when that was. Having bought a cheap 10 CD compilation a couple of months ago out of curiosity to see just how bad they were in the 1990s though I discovered they started to become interesting to me again around 1997 and have gone on to find many worthwhile albums from the the last 20 years. Maybe people will say they’re no longer “progressive electronic” but I happen to like drum machines, loops, techno, remixes and ambient and they fit in more with my “non-prog” collection. So what I am into now is this later Tangerine Dream.

Basically the 'classic era' ended with Underwater Sunlight in 1986. However they came back strongly in the 00's especially with the Booster series. You are correct that there was a 10 year period when they wer not so good as Paul Haslinger and Chris Franke departed and it took time for Jerome Froese to bed in. The music did not become worthless. There was also the series of albums they made with opera singers that I strongly recommend including Purgatorio
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=116361" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=116361
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=116361" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 19:31
I’ve been listening to Zappa’s 200 Motels at least a couple of times a week for the past few months.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 15 2019 at 21:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I’ve been listening to Zappa’s 200 Motels at least a couple of times a week for the past few months.

That's a good one. It has some slow spots for sure, but when it gets going it really gets going.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 16 2019 at 03:01
Riverside, Universal Totem Orchestra, Chris Cornell this week

.....but I'm enjoying Lene Lovich, too Embarrassed

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: April 16 2019 at 04:37
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Right on!Thumbs Up
I think it was reading your reviews years ago that turned me on to the band - so cheers for that

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: heavydrum
Date Posted: April 21 2019 at 15:35
been trapped in the fugazi tunnel for a month now, i've hopelessly fallen in love with their 'in on the kill taker' album. i'm also following the 'europe 72' grateful dead tour date by date, day by day and i'm falling asleep almost every night with the voice of john martyn.

-------------
i refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Date Posted: April 22 2019 at 07:46
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Hopelessly lost in an RPI fog only occasionally relieved by Neal Morse.

(... and to stay on topic, yes, I did go listen to a lot of NM and SB ... )

I have listened to both the albums and some of his earlier material.

While I do not think, in general, that he is being a bit on the vain side of things, in some ways, I do think that his beliefs are getting in the way of the music, in that he has to tell the story as he sees fit, and it's not that bad, and yes, it is OK, but I think I would rather go read T. Lobsang Rampa, or the more occult writers of the past 100's of years, to find something that is more interesting and challenging, than being told that you are not doing it right, and we don't know what it is, because the heavens will open and the clouds will dump a lot of rain on us, if not thunder and lightening! ... it's all because ... 

I do not doubt his honesty, and his belief. I find it rather refreshing, considering how much lyrics in a lot of "progressive" bands, are so simplistic, boring and even insulting to anyone's intelligence.

But, honestly, I don't think I would compare, the spirituality in TFTO against Neal's ... as one of these comes off as a weak Sunday preacher ... and the work he is quoting and singing about is far older than the book that Neal is singing about. In fact, Neal's book has a lot of copied moments from the older book, and is the worst news reporting ever done of a "supposed" event, and was "written", nearly 300 plus years after the event. Makes one think that Twitter is the only real news place!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Magog2112
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:54
I've been listening to the discography of Phideaux as I am preparing to interview him on Zoom.

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 12:06
Listening to a lot of 'Arena' at the moment. Smile

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: July 25 2023 at 12:52
Maybe not a band, but a genre.
I've been revisiting a lot of the 80's bands releases in the 'Euro-Pop, or Synth-Pop' genres on vinyl.
Yaz, Naked Eyes, Klaus Nomi, Thomas Dolby, Men Without Hats, Men at Work, OMD etc.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: IncogNeato
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 06:32
Currently, I can't seem to get enough of Thank You Scientist.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 07:22
I've been playing a heck of a lot of Focus recently....

before that, I was on quite a Mike Oldfield kick...

before that, it was Caravan...

interspersed through all of this, there's also been a fair amount of Camel and King Crimson...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 07:51
When just considering what's in PA:

It's been Swans for quite some time, and with the release of The Beggar, it's Swans even more-so. And I have been listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, black midi and the artists Anna von Hausswolff and Björk a fair amount recently.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 08:25
I've been mostly listening to chaotic stuff, like Upsilon Acrux and Alex Ward, among others. My brain seems to like to immerse itself in these "walls of sound" and tries to dissect the chaos. I find stuff like this is even influencing some of my own creations I've been slowly piecing together this year.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 09:37
It Bites, Ghost

-------------
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell

Date Posted: July 26 2023 at 09:54
For the last week or so, Greg Foat and Trees Speak

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 08:11
The Filibuster Saloon
Rascal Reporters
Eyeless Owl

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 08:52
I've been listening to, and doing research on Miles Davis' music from 1970 to 1975, especially the band that toured with him from 73 to 75.

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 08:58
I have been working my way through the 'Mostly Autumn' catalogue recently.

Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 09:08
Dina Ögon. Gorgeous, dreamy Swedish psychedelic folk with lovely vocals (in Swedish)

-------------

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 10:10

new, very pleasant album discovery (recommendation)

Thought Industry (USA) - Songs for Insects (1993)

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 11:27
Mostly just one album

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

-------------
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album| https://atmosprog.bandcamp.com/album/atmos-i" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 12:11
I've always struggled a bit with The Flower Kings, but I'm slowly starting to appreciate them more as I plough through their discography. I do wish there was a little less filler with some of their songs though.

Also everything by Rikard Sjöblom - Beardfish, Gungfly, Bootcut - brilliant.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 17:55
Chicago (Terry Kath era)

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 18:23
Can't really say currently that I am particularly into any given bands or a band. Listening to lots of different music these days.

Non-Prog, been returning to Eels yesterday. In PA, been returning to much Dead Can Dance recently. I now appreciate its post 80s work a lot more than I used to.

-------------

Posted By: Zappastolethetowels
Date Posted: September 04 2023 at 20:53
Tull, but only until Zappa made his return again Approve

A bit of National Health as well.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: September 05 2023 at 00:56
Went through Yellowjackets' and Moon Safari's discographies earlier this year. Checked out Pageant and Oaksenham. Now I'm on to Niacin and Casiopea.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: September 05 2023 at 07:19
I'm obsessing a bit over Il Bacio Della Medusa upon release of their latest, Imilla.

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: September 05 2023 at 07:23
Lately, I have been getting back into PFM.....my fave of theirs, Chocolate Kings, and also the under-rated Passpartu album of theirs from 1978, and some live recordings from the seventies. There is so much going on; kind of hard to put into words why I appreciated it, but I do.....

Date Posted: September 05 2023 at 07:26

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Right on!Thumbs Up
I think it was reading your reviews years ago that turned me on to the band - so cheers for that
For some reason, I did not see your remark about reading my reviews until now; glad I could be of service! I recently got most of the 1970s Passports on original Atlantic lp pressings and am enjoying them immensely!

Posted By: Fercandio46
Date Posted: September 06 2023 at 23:51
Hi, now I'm listening to bands from the Canterbury scene, particularly the Italians from Homunculus Res, who fuse everything, but that Italian vibe that gives them personality. And I also discovered Dan Britton, whose compositional complexity does not fall into the common places of neo-progressive bands that for me, at least, do not go beyond the instance of "influences". Dan has Birds & Buildings and Deluge Grander.

Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 00:06
Welcome to the forum, Fernando. I very much like Homunculus Res, Birds & Buildings and Deluge Grander.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 10:00
Indeed that recent Homunculus Res album is delightful. Also check out Lumsk if you like 'personality' and warmth , their forth album called Fremmede Toner is lovely , incredibly 16 years after the 3rd album.
Dan Britton, could do with more from him. I love Deluge Grander especially.

Posted By: Dapper~Blueberries
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 11:24
Been listening to a bit more alternative prog rock, specifically Hail The Sun. Really been enjoying their latest album!

-------------
D~B

Posted By: Fercandio46
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 11:28
Thanks Richardh, I'm going to listen to Lumsk!

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 15:29
I've been listening to particular Van der Graaf Generator / Peter Hammill tracks a lot lately... much more than usual.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 16:26
I know this is the prog forum but Ive been playing more classic rock lately....also playing a band called RIval Sons whihc is in classic rock / heavy blues rock.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 16:43
Jethro Tull : Broadsword boxset

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 18:43
Been exploring The Osees and all the name variations aa well John Dwyer's other projects, Will take months to explore.

Posted By: doors_1
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 22:00
Well, a message four years late, but the Doors were my first favorite rock band mainly because I could understand Jim Morrison's accent and more importantly, there keyboard driven sound by Manzarek set them apart from other rock bands.

Currently, I am listening to some Fela Kuti and Alquin, the latter have atleast two good prog rock records.

Posted By: doors_1
Date Posted: September 07 2023 at 22:02
I like some VdGG albums a lot. Their unconventional sound makes for great listening, songs like "Emperor in his War Room" or "Lemmings" are great. That being said, I never could go into their later stuff like "World Record".

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk