Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120036
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 17:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Health Care: Traditional or Alternative
Posted By: Finnforest
Subject: Health Care: Traditional or Alternative
Date Posted: May 03 2019 at 19:47
Feel free to elaborate. Do you think Mainstream medicine is a good for emergencies but poor at wellness? Do you think alternative/natural medicine is quackery?

Have you ever tried to heal yourself outside of traditional doctors and been successful?

Doesn't matter who "wins" the poll. I'm just curious for impressions.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 03 2019 at 21:40
I voted 'Both' because it seems like the wisest option and trad. healthcare has basically worked for me, but that's because I'm healthy and have good genes and it's easier for me to look at both Alt & Trad healthcare as viable because either way I'll heal.   If one is in a catastrophic situation then thank goodness for modern medicine, but I've also gotten excellent guidance from Eastern doctors who steered me away from unnecessary surgery and treatments.

I don't know... I guess I've always depended on the kindness of strangers. Tongue

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: May 03 2019 at 23:37
I can only suggest you look into how the bodily systems that pharmaceutical drugs mess with actually work and what the drugs do to them before deciding whether to take any .

-------------
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: May 04 2019 at 07:55
Neither, but I would rather go for alternative.

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: May 04 2019 at 08:27
I will vote for both.  Some things kind of seem to work better with traditional medicine, some alternative.  I think because of the variations in patients, it just stands to reason that there is no panacea.  I take quite a lot of supplements, I have found that some help and some don't, will usually take a new one for a while, then back off of it and see if it did make any improvement to whatever issue.  Same with dietary changes.  

I also prefer to stay away from invasive things, unless absolutely necessary. And then, at my age, will weigh whether to prolong it is worth it, when the time comes.  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 04 2019 at 09:16
I tend to cling to traditional health care. Although some alternatives may be fine, many others may be dismissed as quackery.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 04 2019 at 09:32
Until such time as you see a homeopathic ambulance in your rear view mirror, best to leave this to the professionals methinks....

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 04 2019 at 11:18
Well...being an actual OD..Optometrist...I'll choose Rx drugs and surgery because if you are truly sick or need surgery natural stuff just won't cut it...in those cases. But I'm not against supplements like natural herbs , vitamins, and exercise, etc  as an adjunct.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: May 04 2019 at 14:02
Yep, and they can certainly assist if whatever it is isn't so severe that it requires surgical intervention.  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 03:13
I'd go to a traditional doctor, than witchdoctor/herbalist etc, any day. Medicine is a science, and science is validated by data, not unverified anecdotes.

There's something to be said for the placebo effect, of course, but i'm depressed at the number of charlatans on Youtube telling you how to cure stage 4 lung cancer with carrots.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk