Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120106
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 08:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The best prog album of all time?
Posted By: Foxprog
Subject: The best prog album of all time?
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 10:56
Okay folks, the same old discussion but this time albums get eliminated easily. In my opinion, if you are looking the best album of all time, it can't have a single "bad" song. For example,

Selling england py the pound, I know what I like for me is somehow always a little turndown... (Steve Hackett live last week was great tho!!) That means it drops automatically off the list. It has some masterpieces but they do not replace the "bad songs".

Close to the edge, on the list. Siberian Khatru is maybe the only one but then it's also a really solid track.

Pawn Hearts, on the list. Lemmings is the weakest link but still a classic one too.

Pink Floyd? I love all floyd albums but all of them have weak links, money, shine might get little bit boring, wall has some but Animals maybe? For me animals is the most solid work of floyd and might get a place on the list.

Thick as a brick, prolly the list, only part I disagree little bit is the drum solo on the beginning of the 2nd part.

If you decide the best album of all time like this, then there is not going to be many albums to choose from. Which classic albums should be eliminated and which included? What do you guys think :D

Replies:
Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 11:02
Close to the Edge no doubt.

Posted By: Davels666
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 11:38
Umma Gumma. No doubt.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 11:46
none of the usual suspects. there are so many better ones that unfortunately are too obscure. I would vote for "Fairy Tales" by Mother Gong

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 11:53
Close to the Edge would probably be my choice. I think The Yes Album and Moving Pictures are strong candidates as well but they are a little less proggy.  I think CTTE checks all the boxes. 

Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 12:03
Need to give that mother gong a listen

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 13:49
It's impossible to determine which is the best anytime, all of the time.  It all depends on so many factors and there are too many essential albums.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 14:20
That is ultimately true. Top five could be way more easier to rank than just the number one.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 14:23
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

It's impossible to determine which is the best anytime, all of the time.  It all depends on so many factors and there are too many essential albums.

exactly Clap

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 14:54
I can't pick my absolute alltime favorite but Wobbler - Rites at Dawn has no bad songs on it. Also, Once and Future Band's self titled album.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Univers Zero - Ceux De Dehors

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: BaldFriede
Notwithstanding the fact that everyone has different opinions about what is essential.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 15:04
The one that probably influenced more musicians than any other to get into prog -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1y7nuu6PiAhVOrJ4KHVUZDlUQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTarkus-Deluxe-Emerson%2Fdp%2FB008FPZQRO&psig=AOvVaw1on5EBIxbbiDfThnQNkiaQ&ust=1558213428885393" rel="nofollow">Related image

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 17:23
No such thing. Exists in the mythical universe of the individual mind.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 17:37
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Eloquently stated !!

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 18:46
Ok, well, 

We have to understand what it means best prog album of all time. 

It could mean 

1) the most progressive opera, or 
2) the most beautiful progressive opera. 

That is to say, there is a FORMAL aspect of respect for those canons that make "progressive" some rock music, and there is an AESTHETIC aspect that relates to the beauty of music, and that is transverse, not only about Progressive, but all kinds of music. 

We must talk about what is art.
What did Lukacs say about Emile Zola, "naturalist" writer?

Naturalism is a precise type of literature, which had as a program that of transforming the novel into a scientific experiment, where the characters moved according to the environmental Conditionings and Genetic, that is, according to Darwin's theory. Scientific positivism was the soul of naturalism, and therefore Zola was striving to narrate a story in a completely objective way, as a scientist, without putting any romance, without representing any hero but only people who corresponded to the average Statistics. 

Well, what did Lukacs say about Zola? He said that his naturalist art, so conceived, limited the beauty of many of his works (the desire to respect certain formal canons limits the aesthetic beauty) but fortunately Zola often, unintentionally, broke the canons of naturalism, and dashed his Characters not in a goal but romantic, getting involved, and precisely for these violations of the canons of naturalism he has achieved great results as a writer or he has written very beautiful novels. 

Behold, I believe that this applies to every art, including prog: the most progressive work, the one that respects every canons of progressive rock (changes of rhythm, long songs in suite style, instrumental solos etc.) will hardly be the most aesthetically Beautiful. It will be the most "proggy". But the most ingenious, original, inspired, in all likelihood, will be a work that has not been written according to the standards of progressive. 

For example, every albums that you have quoted is very proggy. Classic prog. Are they the best prog albums of all times? I would answer No (but Pawn Hearts, in my opinion, could be candidate, together with In The Court of...). Instead, I believe they represent in a perfect way the canons of prog.

In particular, "Close to the Edge" is a very representative work of progressive, it respects all the canons and the patterns of prog, it's perfectly proggy, but in my opinion it is aesthetically much less beautiful than a work like "Rock Bottom", which none of us would take as a perfect example of progressive work. 

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 20:20
For me it is easily Close to the Edge. Indeed Siberian Khatru is it's "weakest" track, but it is still very good. And it almost the description of prog itself.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 21:58
I'd say Close to the Edge.   It was a "perfect storm," a band of amazingly talented musicians who found their groove together & captured lightning in a bottle.  

Bruford's drumming on the album is under-appreciated in my opinion, it is some of his very best work!  

I saw them on the Yessongs tour, Sept 22, 1972.   I was expecting to hear the AM radio hit "America" and hadn't heard a single song off of CTTE, so imagine my surprise!!  They played like the devil was chasing them.  

There are many worthy albums to mention (Foxtrot, SEBTP, etc.) but they all have some minor weak point or slow song....CTTE had none.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 17 2019 at 22:10
Personal opinion aside I believe it is "close to the edge" by Yes. It would still probably make my personal top ten. It's number one on here and mentioned a lot of times over the past ten years and has a cruise named after it for a reason.

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 00:36
In the court of... is also a contender. Five great songs, unfortunately moonchild's 9min jammin section gets sometimes a little boring. Same problem with providence in Red. Maybe Larks then?

Camel - Mirage?

As you said, CTTE checks all the categories and could be the one :)

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 02:47
Agree with most of the comments here. There is no right or wrong answer, it's completely down to personal opinion.

My opinion has always been clear on this question.

The answer is Close to the Edge.

I'm sure there are many gems of prog rock that I've not yet discovered, but, of all the albums I've listened to, Close to the Edge is the only one that I regard as 100% perfection and I would not change a single note on the album.

So, on that basis, it is, for me, undoubtedly the best prog album of all time.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 04:24
"Close to the Edge" is an o.k. album; I would give it 4 stars. "Relayer" is much better; it is a lot more daring. "Close to the Edge" is just too conventional to be a 5 star album

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 04:36

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 04:43
This is a meaningless question.

The correct answer is Burnt Weeny Sandwich by the Mothers.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 05:20
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

"Exists in the Mythical Universe of the Individual Mind" is an excellent prog album and should be considered one of the greatest of all time.

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 05:32
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

This is a meaningless question.

LOL true
I so wanna troll this topic, but I won't (though struggling Big smile)

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 09:35
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Close to the Edge" is an o.k. album; I would give it 4 stars. "Relayer" is much better; it is a lot more daring. "Close to the Edge" is just too conventional to be a 5 star album

Conventional compared to Magma maybe. LOL

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 10:13
CTTE, conventional?

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 10:35
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Ok, well, 

We have to understand what it means best prog album of all time. 

It could mean 

1) the most progressive opera, or 
2) the most beautiful progressive opera.

It could also mean the most popular album, in terms of sales -- in which case Pink Floyd's DSOTM would win.

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 11:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Conventional compared to Magma maybe. LOL

I like a challenge when listening to an album. "Relayer" is definitely more challenging to listen to than "Close to the Edge".

now "Pawn Hearts" - that is an album I could agree upon. but many don't like it, or VdGG in general. which is one of the reasons I could agree upon it. the best works of art are often controversial.

but generally speaking there is no such thing as "best prog album", simply because de gustibus non est disputandum

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:21
Pawn Hearts...with the The Lamb and Topographic Oceans rounding out the top 3 Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 21:31
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'd say Close to the Edge.   It was a "perfect storm," a band of amazingly talented musicians who found their groove together & captured lightning in a bottle.  

Bruford's drumming on the album is under-appreciated in my opinion, it is some of his very best work!  

I saw them on the Yessongs tour, Sept 22, 1972.   I was expecting to hear the AM radio hit "America" and hadn't heard a single song off of CTTE, so imagine my surprise!!  They played like the devil was chasing them.  

There are many worthy albums to mention (Foxtrot, SEBTP, etc.) but they all have some minor weak point or slow song....CTTE had none.  

I guess when you saw them it was already with Alan White? Did the band even get a chance to play the album live before Bruford left? I think I remember he didn't.

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 22:53
I am fine with it being Close to the Edge, a most creative and impressive album.

-------------
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 23:22
Yeah, Close to the Edge is hard to beat.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 03:10
So I have to eliminate Brain Salad Surgery (damn that weak Karn Evil 9 track) and go for CTTE.

Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford , Squire and Howe were the ultimate prog line up. However Fragile does have higher musical peaks imo just not as consistent.

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 04:33
"And You And I" is a bit too sugarcoated for my taste, which is why "Close to the Edge" is not the masterpiece that most people think it is. I prefer pepper to sugar.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 05:09
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The one that probably influenced more musicians than any other to get into prog -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1y7nuu6PiAhVOrJ4KHVUZDlUQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTarkus-Deluxe-Emerson%2Fdp%2FB008FPZQRO&psig=AOvVaw1on5EBIxbbiDfThnQNkiaQ&ust=1558213428885393" rel="nofollow">Related image

Although Tarkus is high on my list of favourite albums, it is not a perfect album because it has "Are You Ready Eddy?" at the end, which is short enough and positioned not to affect the greatness of the album, but it does prevent it from being perfect (as required by the opening post).

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 05:20
I consider Pawn Hearts to be not just a perfect album, but a step above all other albums (that I know). That is because there is something about Pawn Hearts that I don't get from other albums.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 05:26
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Although Tarkus is high on my list of favourite albums, it is not a perfect album because it has "Are You Ready Eddy?" at the end, which is short enough and positioned not to affect the greatness of the album, but it does prevent it from being perfect (as required by the opening post).

I don't object to "Are Your Ready, Eddy?". To quote Frank Zappa: "Does humor belong in music"? Answer: Yes it does! So I like tracks like "Are You Ready, Eddy?" and the equally disliked "Jeremy Bender".

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 05:57
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I don't object to "Are Your Ready, Eddy?". To quote Frank Zappa: "Does humor belong in music"? Answer: Yes it does! So I like tracks like "Are You Ready, Eddy?" and the equally disliked "Jeremy Bender".

I don't object to the humour (the subject matter). I just don't like the track for whatever reason. And yet I don't have a problem with "Jeremy Bender" (or "Benny The Bouncer" from Brain Salad Surgery).

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 06:13
As for humour in music in general, it seems to me that humorous songs usually have stupid music, so I'm generally not a fan of humour in music. But if the artist produces great music along with humorous lyrics, then I have no problem with the humour. An example of humour in a track I like a lot is "In Every Dream Home A Heartache" by Roxy Music. Also, I purchased the Godley & Creme album "Consequences" specifically for its humour.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 06:30
I could make sense of this if the question would be something like "what do you think is the ultimate album to represent prog", because my real personal favourites are probably too niche to fit here. The album I rank highest out of the top 100 (that one could maybe call "standard choices") is Discipline. Discipline is not quite as niche as most of my other top choices, but cannot really represent prog, as it takes a distinctly new and different turn in some respects. Out of those that are always named I'd probably choose Thick As A Brick, which is probably the most homogeneous of them all (contested by Dark Side of the Moon). Close to the Edge is not a bad choice for this kind of question, it just showcases so many essential elements in a good and at times spectacular way... except that this comes with a certain "showing off" factor that stops me from ranking it in the top spots of my personal list.

Thick as a Brick and Discipline would probably make a wonderful pair of best albums to represent prog, or let's say the prog I like, the "mainstream prog" that is. (I'm not bringing up Czukay, Talk Talk or Cardiacs here.)

By the way, I don't think "no weak track" is a good criterion, because an album that I really love takes risks and surprises, and I will forgive the odd step that seems wrong to me. As it happens, though, TAAB and Discipline have no such steps.

Posted By: handwrist
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 12:38

It's weird because some of my favourite bands don't have perfect albums, there's always a song or two that are just short of the brilliancy of the rest - Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink could be perfect, but has that short little nuisance in the middle. Soft Machine's Third could be perfect, but Facelift is more noise than song, and it seems like filler right at the start. Zappa's albums in general are a mixed bag, despite his genius - and even Joe's Garage, which is flawless in its three acts, is not really representative enough of prog rockery, too much on the fringes, to be considered best of all time. Same with Christian Vander and his vulcanic piece of genius called Lava, I mean, Magma. I feel the title of the best prog of all time, the one you would choose to show someone, can only come from Britain.

Having said that I don't think we should choose obvious choices like Pink Floyd's Dark Side or The Wall, or Genesis, or KC or even ELP. For me the best representative of prog rock has to be one that is both iconic, but yet not mega popular, as I think that a certain snobbery, that 'hidden gem', not for everyone, quality is part of what prog rock was, is and always will be.

So for me it's a tough choice between Camel's The Snow Goose and Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant. They are both perfect albums. But I'd go with Camel because it's just so iconic of a perfect sound - whereas GG is more oddball.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 13:20
obviously it's Merci

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 13:33
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

obviously it's Merci

LOL

maybe Giant for a Day?
In the Hot Seat? 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by handwrist handwrist wrote:

Soft Machine's Third could be perfect, but Facelift is more noise than song, and it seems like filler right at the start.
Its probably not many that would pick Facelift as a personal favorite but for the album experience I certainly wouldn't want Third to be without it.

So for me it's a tough choice between Camel's The Snow Goose and Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant. They are both perfect albums. But I'd go with Camel because it's just so iconic of a perfect sound - whereas GG is more oddball.
The one flaw for me with Snow Goose is that it doesn't really excite me the way my favorite music does (and not like Mirage). I like it quite a lot and enjoy playing it every once in a while but I wouldn't give it more than four stars. If I had to choose between those two I'd go for the oddball. Oddball is good.

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 20:41
Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 21:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

obviously it's Merci

LOL

maybe Giant for a Day?
In the Hot Seat? 

YES!!!! THat's it! Giant for a Day is the best album of all eternity!!!!!!
I actually do like the album a lot more than most proggers :)

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: handwrist
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 01:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Soft Machine's Third could be perfect, but Facelift is more noise than song, and it seems like filler right at the start.
Its probably not many that would pick Facelift as a personal favorite but for the album experience I certainly wouldn't want Third to be without it.

Good point. It might be because we are in the digital age and the first time I've listened to the album I actually got to Facelift last, instead of being the starter. That may have skewed my perception of it. It does have a slow start, but I might have been too harsh.

I do find TSG exciting though, even though I can understand why you would say the opposite. It is a very specific album with a specific 'world' - but to me that just makes it so iconic of proggery. It's a one off thing. A bit like ELP's version of Jerusalem, only this type of music can take something and turn it into something beautiful, daring and magical.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 07:34
Snow Goose, as someone pointed out, or maybe Soft's, or perhaps Fish Out Of Water, or ... let me think -  a double album with orchestra  (not that many, pick one) - NO, it has to be:

GODBLUFF !!!

Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:58
I have nothing against humorous songs. our own band Bald Angels has a humorous track on the first two albums too; they are even the title tracks. "The Goat and the Donkey" is a track that illustrates how it would sound if a donkey played piano and a goat sang to it (the track is actually based on a joke about a pilot crashing in the desert near an old man who owns a donkey and a goat with these qualities). the second album "It's a Dog's Life" (with a very daring album cover Wink) has us imitating several dog sounds

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 10:12
It's the old "favorite" versus "best" argument. 

The "best" Prog LP is going to be one a majority can agree on: Close To The Edge works for me.
But my "favorite" Prog LP's rarely appear on any list...

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 00:53

"And You And I" is a bit too sugarcoated for my taste, which is why "Close to the Edge" is not the masterpiece that most people think it is. I prefer pepper to sugar.

Obviously you have your taste but for me it's just Anderson being Anderson. All about cosmic and spiritual love and not really about 'boring' common of garden human love.

I would also argue that it gives the album a bit of balance and in any case it just wouldn't be Yes without it.

I'm not convinced that anything is really a masterpiece if you let taste get in the way. I mean I hate improvised tracks but I still reckon that Red is one of the best albums ever ( only behind Brain Salad Surgery and CTTE in my list) even if Providence is a hard sell to me personally. Can taste really decide these things? Sometimes applying an intellectual criteria is a better approach.

Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 02:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Obviously you have your taste but for me it's just Anderson being Anderson. All about cosmic and spiritual love and not really about 'boring' common of garden human love.

I would also argue that it gives the album a bit of balance and in any case it just wouldn't be Yes without it.

I'm not convinced that anything is really a masterpiece if you let taste get in the way. I mean I hate improvised tracks but I still reckon that Red is one of the best albums ever ( only behind Brain Salad Surgery and CTTE in my list) even if Providence is a hard sell to me personally. Can taste really decide these things? Sometimes applying an intellectual criteria is a better approach.

But even intellectually I can't consider "Close to the Edge" as the top prog-rock masterpiece. My choice would be "Pawn Hearts".

-------------

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: May 21 2019 at 08:47
Impossible to pick/decide/agree on.  But it definitely would NOT be CTTE for me, it's way too messy for my ears.

3 I would nominate:

IQ - Road Of Bones - totally brilliant and not a duff track across the double CD version.

or

Ayreon - The Human Equation - my favourite album of all time, still thrills me whenever I listen to it

or

Dream Theater - Images And Words - a prog metal masterpiece from start to finish

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:26

But even intellectually I can't consider "Close to the Edge" as the top prog-rock masterpiece. My choice would be "Pawn Hearts".

Yep definitely a contender. Probably I'm a bit late to the VDGG party but this is certainly a massive album. The PA top ten is close to bang on when I step back from my personal taste.

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:29
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Impossible to pick/decide/agree on.  But it definitely would NOT be CTTE for me, it's way too messy for my ears.

3 I would nominate:

IQ - Road Of Bones - totally brilliant and not a duff track across the double CD version.

or

Ayreon - The Human Equation - my favourite album of all time, still thrills me whenever I listen to it

or

Dream Theater - Images And Words - a prog metal masterpiece from start to finish

with you to a certain extent on IQ although the second disc is more powerful to my ears.

Ayreon - don't really know enough to have an opinion. I think I have this somewhere in my CD library.

Dream Theater - the electronic drums hurt my ears which is why I prefer Awake from that era although A Change Of Seasons is my favourite DT album.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 00:36

The OP asks for "best" album with no bad tracks.   Best is not the same as perfect.   In fact best is often imperfect, e.g. the White Album, Led Zeppelin ll, Trespass, Electric Ladyland, The Yes Album, Tarkus, etc.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 23:49
yep it's all too easy to equate consistency with perfection.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 23 2019 at 12:55
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I can't pick my absolute alltime favorite but Wobbler - Rites at Dawn has no bad songs on it. Also, Once and Future Band's self titled album.

Rites At Dawn.....one of my favorite prog albums......Clap

but like some one else said farther down the thread..there is no such thing as one greatest album......
I will always go with ITCOTCK...for many reasons but I'm not sure it's the 'greatest'.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: May 23 2019 at 13:20

The OP asks for "best" album with no bad tracks.   Best is not the same as perfect.   In fact best is often imperfect, e.g. the White Album, Led Zeppelin ll, Trespass, Electric Ladyland, The Yes Album, Tarkus, etc.

Actually, I equated no bad tracks with perfect. A best album does not need to be perfect, but a perfect album needs to have no bad tracks. However, I do recognise that imperfection does not necessarily take the form of a bad track, but can be a perceived defect within an otherwise good track.

-------------

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: May 26 2019 at 11:26
I prefer the Yes Album:

Yours is No Disgrace ... a personal fave
Clap ... not many of today's guitarists can pull this off
Starship Trooper ... a crowd fave with the best outro chord progression in the history of the universe
I've Seen All Good People ... another crowd fave. The harmonies though!
A Venture ... a lovely contemplative and interesting piece to break it up
Perpetual Change ... prog fury!

(I also love Rush, especially A Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures ... but don't make me decide! If so, Exit Stage Left should cover it!)

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: May 26 2019 at 14:21
10:There 
9:Is
8:No
7:Best
6:Prog
5:Album
4:Of
3:All
2:Time
1: Foxtrot

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: May 27 2019 at 00:49
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

10:There 
9:Is
8:No
7:Best
6:Prog
5:Album
4:Of
3:All
2:Time
1: Foxtrot

lmaoooooOOOOOOOooooo

Whether agreeing or disagreeing this is some funny stuff, right here.

-------------
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: May 27 2019 at 06:16
For your Pleasure and Hero and Heroine rule my waves! 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 06:48
Close to the Edge.

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 02:25
Wish You Were Here is my favourite prog album of all time.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:31
The Dark Side of the Moon.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 02:14

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 02:30
I don't have an absolute favorite, but Per Un Amico is probably every bit as great as whatever you pit it against, and consistent too!

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 03:25
If I had already discovered ‘the best Prog album of all time’ (which is, to date, most likely Khan - Space Shanty) my record collection wouldn’t be taking up precious real-estate. There’s just too many perfect albums within all genres, to pick just one.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 05:07
Easy. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 09:43
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1y7nuu6PiAhVOrJ4KHVUZDlUQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTarkus-Deluxe-Emerson%2Fdp%2FB008FPZQRO&psig=AOvVaw1on5EBIxbbiDfThnQNkiaQ&ust=1558213428885393" rel="nofollow">Related image This albums in my all time top ten at 1

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 09:44
And this is 2 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:45
5uu's - Hunger's Teeth

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 11:26
I must update my Foxtrot comment from last year and say my favorite is Moonmadness, closely followed by Les Cinq Saison, Foxtrot still up there. I've found over time I'm not as keen on ranking and comparing albums because some stuff I like more than others simply depending on my mood or the day. I'm sure that those two are my top 2 favorites however.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 13:52
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Easy. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.

Hehe

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 15:28
A quick check In case I did post last year.... it has to be...

Foxtrot! (I'm nothing but predictable at times!)

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 17:50

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 18:39
^ Such a magical album........

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 21:20
While I commonly have problems with notions of best, other than perhaps best for the individual -- it is so subjective/ dependent on taste plus none of us have heard all of the albums -- and I could list many that I find superb, I will mention Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom even if I don't think of it as particularly prog per se. Perfection is not how I'd describe the album. I find the album to be poignant. It's melancholy, but also playful.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 21:52
Perfection doesn't exist because human beings aren't perfect. Even the most perfect painting, the Mona Lisa has a changing horizon and one half of her face slightly different to the other. If you look for perfection in a prog rock album you won't find it. If you look for the best you won't find that either because what's best today is relegated to something else the next day. And even if you settle on what is best, someone else will have another best and then which one is best, his or yours. Answer is they are both the best because no one opinion is superior to another.

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 22:44
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Perfection doesn't exist because human beings aren't perfect. Even the most perfect painting, the Mona Lisa has a changing horizon and one half of her face slightly different to the other. If you look for perfection in a prog rock album you won't find it. If you look for the best you won't find that either because what's best today is relegated to something else the next day. And even if you settle on what is best, someone else will have another best and then which one is best, his or yours. Answer is they are both the best because no one opinion is superior to another.

I don't think the Mona Lisa is the most perfect painting, just the most famous.

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 22:22
I think this has asked many times before, anyway Wigwam: Fairyport has been my all time best album in all the genres already many years!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 03:03
As expected I see a lot of people ranks CTTE as their all time favorite, I'll just say it's not in my top 20 although I would rate it 5 stars, for some reason the more obscure ones tend to connect with me more than the usual suspects. If I'd have to choose an album from the more well known bands it would be Red.
Otherwise my all time winners would be:

Dun - Eros
Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys (not prog)
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 04:59
For me, definitely not Larks or CTtE or Red. 

I think of Foxtrot without the first track and the very ending. I may think of Gentle Giant's Debut album or their Three Friends or TPATG. 

Spring and Fantasy made excellent debut albums. Cressida's Asylum is among my favourites, very vivid keyboards. 

GG's Three Friends is probably the one. 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:55
Ridiculous...The candidate for this acolade hasn't been written yet....and never will be...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 11:43
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Dun - Eros
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Good shout for Maxophone, an album that has your habitually feisty rodent reduced to tears Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

As expected I see a lot of people ranks CTTE as their all time favorite, I'll just say it's not in my top 20 although I would rate it 5 stars, for some reason the more obscure ones tend to connect with me more than the usual suspects. If I'd have to choose an album from the more well known bands it would be Red.

Dun - Eros
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Maxophone is awesome.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 29 2020 at 09:54
My vote is (and always will be) for Tales From Topographic Oceans. Hardcore Yes. Haters be damned!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My vote is (and always will be) for Tales From Topographic Oceans. Hardcore Yes. Haters be damned!!!

Aye. I would have to agree that it nails the zeitgeist of symphonic prog and is the paradigm of what a symphonic prog track should aspire to.....
GOOD CALL...😎

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:10

The original "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is great. But the remastering is a catastrophe.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:18
Still a meaningless question.

The correct answer is Bubu's Anabelas.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:32

The correct answer is Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales".

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:22
I can't even agree with myself as to the Best 100 Prog Albums of All-Time! How can I ever hope to agree with you hon-yocks?

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:32

The correct answer is Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales".
The correct answer is Henry Cow's Western Culture.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:35

The original "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is great. But the remastering is a catastrophe.

I didn't care for the Steve Wilson version for some reason. I'm not sure which one you are referring to though but if it's the SW one I agree.

Date Posted: May 31 2020 at 03:25
^ yep are we talking 'remix' or 'remaster'?

Anyway Gates Of Delirium pissed on everything else Yes had done to that point imo. Pity the whole album wasn't as good although Sound Chaser at least showed a band that was still trying to progress.

TFTO has some good parts but it just goes to sleep at times. The idea of it is so much greater than the actual reality.

Date Posted: May 31 2020 at 05:15

Anyway Gates Of Delirium pissed on everything else Yes had done to that point imo. Pity the whole album wasn't as good although Sound Chaser at least showed a band that was still trying to progress.

TFTO has some good parts but it just goes to sleep at times. The idea of it is so much greater than the actual reality.

GoD on YesShows pisses all over the studio version...The extended remixed version of TFTO is BOSS...extension and bombast are essential...for true symph prog...but for those who think that Turn it on again is good...I can see them HATING tobys graphic gocart...😎

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 31 2020 at 06:15

In terms of technical skill and musical prowess, I absolutely agree that GoD is the pinnacle of Yes tracks up to that point.

In terms of impact on progressive rock as a whole, Close to The Edge still holds that crown IMHO.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk