How many albums have you listened?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120113
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How many albums have you listened?
Posted By: Foxprog
Subject: How many albums have you listened?
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 11:46
From the top 100 of progarchives. I'm clocking around 71/100. Still missing some Italiano and more jazzy albums like "Miles Davis".

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:13
I've never been curious how many albums from the list I know and listened. 

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Tastes differ within the discography and genre and subgenres. I personally do not like Gentle Giant's In A Glass House for its repetitiveness. "Way Of Life" looks like an attempt to fill the necessary space on disc. Gentle Giant's debut album is among my favourites. Genesis' favourites are Trespass and Foxtrot. I prefer the first album by Fantasy (which is Paint A Picture) and Spring.

I don't count them. I'm too impatient and egotistic for that kind of things.

Anyway, respect to the creator of the topic. There may be more patient and less egotistic persons among us here.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:01
I listened to 64 of them, and there are a few of the remaining 36 that I have no intention to listen to at all

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:52
As it currently stands (since the bottom of the list is always changing around a bit) I own 92 and have listened to (most of) 5 more. But admittedly, that list has been a guide for a good part of my collection.

-------------
Z

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:55
Wow, nice collection you have :)

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:57
you should see the collection Friede and I have; it is really huge. but our tastes are not very mainstream

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:59
Haha, I've noticed that :) Btw, Tanz der lemming is great on the first listen! (still 30mins to go)

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 22:39
I haven’t paid any attention to that list but as you ask I make it 45 that I’ve heard. I’ve collected all 50 albums on the list in Julian Cope’s book Krautrocksampler plus the others he mentions and am currently working through a lot of Tangerine Dream albums using the PA discography and review pages but in a selective way and am not aiming for completionism here.

-------------
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 18 2019 at 23:12
No idea.

-------------

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 02:31

Posted By: paulindigo
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 02:47
I own 99 of them and have listened to most of A Drop of Light, which of course is on my purchase list :))

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 05:31
There are 22 I haven't heard at all and some 25 more of which I have only heard bits and pieces and then decided to not bother listening to the whole thing.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 06:22
I'm missing 10. Mostly metal and some newer stuff.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Kempokid
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 06:52
Listened to 62 of them, still missing basically all the jazz and canterbury bar a few bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra. I've also not listened to any neo prog other than Marillion's debut album

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 07:07
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

From the top 100 of progarchives. I'm clocking around 71/100. Still missing some Italiano and more jazzy albums like "Miles Davis".

88 out of 100.

Not sure that I will have enough life time to catch up with all the others, and some of them are (for me) not really "progressive" as they should be, comparing to lesser known things that deserve to be listed but won't be because one group is listed 5 times, another 5 times, etc, etc ... which means that folks that deserve to be there won't because of far inferior albums by better known bands, because of their fame, and everyone sucking up to it!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 11:56
When I started coming to PA (and restarted paying attention to good ol' prog) I used the genre top lists as a guide to new discoveries, and for good measure I did so, since it helped me a lot at the beginning  ... but then I moved to take advice from  particular reviewers' lists/ratings/reviews which I little by little came to discover had similar tastes to mine.

I guess I ended up by listening to almost all of the global TOP100 but own now maybe about 50 (lately mainly FLAC downloads)

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 12:50

Me neither. To be honest, I have my list of favorites, and that's what matter when I'm going to listen to music, either favorites or something new to discover. The rest come in second, albums that I occasionally listen to.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 14:27
Seems I've heard 95 of them, maybe 70 I'm really somewhat familiar with.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 14:45
I've got 21 of the 100 as it currently stands.

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 20, 35, 38, 39, 42, 49, 51, 56, 63, 71, 74, 76, 83.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 18:10
67/100 have I listened, 59 of those I own. There are a few, mostly RPI, that I want to hear and a few more I would like to own.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 19:18
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Me neither. To be honest, I have my list of favorites, and that's what matter when I'm going to listen to music, either favorites or something new to discover. The rest come in second, albums that I occasionally listen to.

For me, being next to someone actually playing all of these things on radio in the 70's and 80's, it was different ... it was mostly about the NEW STUFF, because it was, usually, different and far out and neat to hear these things and no one knew what they were!

Thus, since then, my listening, tends to be about the new stuff and the different stuff, and rarely the best known material or the most famous ... for example, with the exception of one album (PP), Jethro Tull is the most over rated and least listened to in my ears!

Likewise, seeing a "top ten" turns me off from listening to a lot of things ... because I will concentrate on the stuff that is not mentioned, or worse ... even discussed because everyone else is just a fan, and not always attuned to the music itself.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 19 2019 at 23:52
From the top 100 list I counted 18 I hadn't listened to before. Another 20 or so I've only listened to once or twice and have little interest in. Of the remaining albums from that list I would have listened to at least to at 10 times or more so would classify them all as all 5 star albums.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 01:19
71/100

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 01:31
Listen to implying having played the whole album and listend to it more than once around 50 albums. There are some more where I did listen to a few tracks but didn´t feel the urge to explore them further

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 06:57
As the list stands right now, 85.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

88 out of 100.

AND, I will state that I have heard all of those albums quite a few times ... why? 

It's the fact that I love the music, not just a band, or a style ... and as such I can play it anytime, and it is STILL as satisfactory as it was 40 years ago ... and I know that this is something that most here, specially in this poll, will not appreciate, but GREAT music, will always be loved and enjoyed ... and above all ... remembered!

In that sense, I would say that PA has helped ... but we always want more, don't we?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:52

Thought it would be more!

Of those, I don't consider OM by Queensryche to be prog, and I don't think it's very good either....

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 09:02
Only about 35 all the way through. I have heard pieces or a few songs form another 20 or so. Guess I have some catching up to do!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 09:56
I think I've heard at least parts of all of them.
I own 47/100.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:07
I can't count past 50.....I'm math challenged.
;)
I own 78 of the top 100....heard all but 5 or 6 of the rest.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: May 22 2019 at 19:09
I'm missing 10, well distributed across subgenres.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 23 2019 at 00:02
Most of the top 50 I've heard apart from Miles Davis (is he really 'prog'??)

After that there is a lot of stuff I've not heard. Overall about 70-80 albums I have heard.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk