Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120278
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Make your own Yes album!
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Make your own Yes album!
Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 18:58
I'm not sure why Yes was excluded from this series but here we go. Same rules as the other make your own album threads(one song per album). 

Replies:
Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 19:29
Side A:
Siberian Khatru
Perpetual Change
Mood for a Day
Into the Lens

Side B:
Awaken
On the Silent Wings of Freedom
To Be Over
The Remembering

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 19:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure why Yes was excluded from this series but here we go. Same rules as the other make your own album threads(one song per album). 

Not excluded at all, in fact they were next on my list. (You beat me to it) 
 Anyway...
  1. Time & a word
  2. Perpetual Change
  3. Heat of the Sunrise.
  4. Close to the Edge
  5. Parallels 
  6. Does it Really Happen 
  7. Hearts
  8. Shock to the System ( Yes, I went with Union!) 

Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 19:46
Oh ok. I figured maybe it was because there were other Yes threads going around. ;)

Anyway, here's my list:

Time and a Word
Perpetual Change
Southside of the Sky
And you and I
Ritual
Sound Chaser
Parallels
I'm Running (yep, went with Big Generator) 

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 19:49
Astral Traveller
Yours is no Disgrace
Heart of the Sunrise
Close to the Edge
Gates of Delirium
Awaken
Machine Messiah
Fly From Here (suite)

Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 19:51

I'm Running (yep, went with Big Generator) 

One of their very best post-1980 songs. I just ran out of room on my list. “Hearts” and “Our Song” also didn’t make the cut.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 21:22
- Starship Trooper.
- Roundabout.
- Close to the Edge.
- The Gates of Delirium.
- Awaken.
- Machine Messiah.
- Owner of a Lonely Heart.
- Endless Dream.
- In the Presence of.

As with Pink Floyd, I couldn't cut out the 9th song, though.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: June 10 2019 at 22:02
What about your own Yes songs?

Yes protests against STD shaming with their song "The Clap is No Disgrace."

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 02:53
1. Does It Really Happen?
2. Astral Traveller
3. Perpetual Change
4. South Side of the Sky
5. The Gates of Delirium
6. And You and I
7. Awaken
8. It Will Happen

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 03:22
this is hard but I'll give it a try

I See You
Astral Traveler
Heart of the Sunrise
Starship Trooper
The Revealing Science Of God - Dance Of The Dawn
Parallels
Machine Messiah
Changes

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 03:32
Starship trooper
South side of the sky
Close to the edge
The revealing science of God
The gates of delirium
Awaken
Machine Messiah
Changes

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 06:30
Survival
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/astral-traveller/id629923572?i=629923586&uo=4&at=10l59k" rel="nofollow - Perpetual Change
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/south-side-of-the-sky/id296556659?i=296556665&uo=4&at=10l59k" rel="nofollow -
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/close-to-edge-i.-solid-time/id272123432?i=272123443&uo=4&at=10l59k" rel="nofollow - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/to-be-over/id272124167?i=272124259&uo=4&at=10l59k" rel="nofollow - https://itunes.apple.com/be/album/on-the-silent-wings-of-freedom/id302092507?i=302092519&uo=4&at=10l59k" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 14:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Starship trooper
South side of the sky
Close to the edge
The revealing science of God
The gates of delirium
Awaken
Machine Messiah
Changes

^ Going to have to be at least  2 or 3 albums/ CD's for this one. You did all the epics! Wink

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 21:36
Astral Traveler
Starship Trooper
Roundabout
Close to the Edge
The Revealing Science of God
Sound Chaser
Tempus Fugit
Fly From Here

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 22:06
No.   Just no.   Their albums were very carefully crafted.   You can't just cherry pick songs, shove them together on some imaginary record, and expect it to be as impactful (or even very good).   Tull maybe, but not Yes.

This is a travesty of a mockery.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: June 11 2019 at 22:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

No.   Just no.   Their albums were very carefully crafted.   You can't just cherry pick songs, shove them together on some imaginary record, and expect it to be as impactful (or even very good).   Tull maybe, but not Yes.

I can see your point: at least on Close to the Edge, Relayer, and especially Tales from Topographic Oceans, context matters. But on Yessongs, for example, they mix up the songs from The Yes Album, Fragile, and CttE, and that running order works fine, now that I’ve had 30 years to get used to it!

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 08:14

Sorry I have to take issue with this one . Every band that has been around for any length of time ( Including Yes) has done this in the form of " best of" or "Greatest Hits " (Classic Yes comes to mind plus about a million live albums)  I don't think I would classify it as a travesty. 

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 08:23

Back in the 90s, i bought a compilation called "Highlights - The Very Best of Yes", i thought it was great, made me explore the band even more. 

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 08:35
I'll try to make a less obvious one.

1. Yesterday and Today
2. Astral Traveller
3. Holy Lamb
4. Endless Dream
5. That, That Is
6. Leave It
7. Into the Lens
8. Big Medley (The Word Is Live version)
9. Onward (Keys to Ascension version)
10. Don't Kill the Whale (Live in Montreux version)

I kind of cheated with 5 and 9, pretend I picked Keystudio for the album for 5.

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I'll try to make a less obvious one.
{snip}

6. Leave It
7. Into the Lens

Definitely less obvious, but not less good!

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:31
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Sorry I have to take issue with this one . Every band that has been around for any length of time ( Including Yes) has done this in the form of " best of" or "Greatest Hits " (Classic Yes comes to mind plus about a million live albums)  I don't think I would classify it as a travesty.

You wouldn't?   I know I would classify most Best Of's & Greatest Hits as exactly that.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Back in the 90s, i bought a compilation called "Highlights - The Very Best of Yes", i thought it was great, made me explore the band even more.
And that's great, but when's the last time you spun it?

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:37

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

And that's great, but when's the last time you spun it?

it's been a while, but the point I was trying to make was that that compilation did its trick. 
You are taking this list way too seriously it seems. 

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:38
Of course, I'm a proghead.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 14:22

You wouldn't?   I know I would classify most Best Of's & Greatest Hits as exactly that.

I think you are missing part of the point of these threads. If you look at the song choices most people aren't picking Roundabout or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Many are picking deeper tracks that resonate with them. 
 I haven't seen any list that look like a cookie cutter "BEST Of" album.  Everyone has some surprises on their list , that's what makes them interesting. 

Posted By: TenYearsAfter
Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 14:27
- Clap
- Roundabout
- Close To The Edge
- Excerpts from The Six Wives Of Henri VIII (Yessongs)
- The Gates Of Delirium
- Awaken
- Don't Kill The Wale
- Starship Trooper (Keys To Ascenion - my favourite Wurm version)

By the way, these are nice topics, inspire me to listen to some to Classic Prog after many years, a kind of forgotten beauties!

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 15:22
Looking Around
Sweetness
Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper
Roundabout
Owner of a Lonely Heart
It Can Happen
Leave It

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 15:55

I think you are missing part of the point of these threads. If you look at the song choices most people aren't picking Roundabout or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Many are picking deeper tracks that resonate with them. 
 I haven't seen any list that look like a cookie cutter "BEST Of" album.  Everyone has some surprises on their list , that's what makes them interesting. 

Well, it would be kind of difficult(though not impossible)to put a list of Yes songs that were just hits or songs trying to be. I'm sure you could do it but it would probably be much easier to do that with Genesis. For me personally I like a mixture. Sure, most of my favorite prog is the epics and longer tracks but I kind ofd like it when a band says f- you to predictability(and often their long time older fans who expects them to do a certain thing)and puts out a song like "owner of a lonely heart" or "rhythm of love." It's why I also don't hate later Genesis even though with them it was more the rule than the exception. A lot of fans don't seem to understand that a lot of bands get tired of doing the same thing over and over again whether that's prog or more poppy stuff. You have to mix things up at some point to keep things fresh(to some degree anyway). Plus there was also the factor that bands had to survive(another thing many longtime fans can't seem to understand)and had to put out more commercial material to put food on the table and pay the bills.

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 16:28
Yeah!

Date Posted: June 12 2019 at 16:31
Daggone. FKC's on fire today.

Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 00:57

No I get it, it's 'Create your dream album'. 

Yeah... no.  It ignores the structure, order and rhythm with which the band set down the cuts.  In Yes's case that's fundamental to their music as a whole.  Even shuffling tracks on a Yes record is questionable though I have done it. 

1987 called, it wants its mix-tape back.

-------------

Posted By: oka2112
Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 01:35
Side A:
Cinema
Tempus Fugit
Perpetual Change
Heart of the Sunrise

Side B:
Awaken
Starship Trooper

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:28
Side A:
Awaken
Future Times/Rejoice
Yours is no disgrace
Going for the one

Side B:
Sound Chaser
Everydays
Heart of the Sunrise

Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 09:47
I listened to my dream album yesterday. It was interesting to hear how their sound changed over the years. I also tacked on Rhythm of Love, The Calling, Open Your Eyes, Fly From Here, and Believe Again.

Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 09:59
Big Generator ... chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga

Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 10:27

Yeah... no.  It ignores the structure, order and rhythm with which the band set down the cuts.  In Yes's case that's fundamental to their music as a whole.  Even shuffling tracks on a Yes record is questionable though I have done it. 

I apologize to the Yes gods for committing blasphemy . I'm going to call Jon Anderson later today to beg his forgiveness!

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: June 13 2019 at 13:38
1. Then
2. Perpetual Change
3. Siberian Khatru
4. The Revealing Science of God
5. Going for the One
6. Release, Release
7. Owner of a Lonely Heart
8. Love Will Find a Way

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: June 14 2019 at 15:57
1. Roundabout
2. Starship Trooper
3. Close To The Edge
4. The Revealing Science Of God
5. Sound Chaser
6. Awaken
7. Tempus Fugit
8. Endless Dream

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:44
Originally posted by oka2112 oka2112 wrote:

Side A:
Cinema
Tempus Fugit
Perpetual Change
Heart of the Sunrise

Side B:
Awaken
Starship Trooper

Nice sequencing, “Cinema” —> “Tempus Fugit” and “Awaken” —> “Starship Trooper” especially.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 28 2019 at 16:31
"Survival"
"Then"
"I've Seen All Good People"
"Heart of the Sunrise"
"And You and I"
"Gates of Delirium"
"Awaken"
"Into the Lens"

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: August 28 2019 at 17:08
A few people here either didn't understand the rules or were intentionally breaking them. Sure 8 songs for Genesis but skimp out on Yes. I'll take your prog card please. Thank you. Tongue

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 28 2019 at 23:50
Yes Sir Bob

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. South Side Of The Sky
3. And You And I
4. Ritual
5. Gates Of Delirium
6. Wonderous Stories
7. Future Times
8. Does It Really Happen

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: August 29 2019 at 09:09
Good to see some of the more obscure early Yes songs make the cut. Surprised to see no one has mentioned my personal favorite - Dear Father. Even after all these years that song still touches me deeply. Symphonic Prog at its best.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Date Posted: August 29 2019 at 17:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes Sir Bob

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. South Side Of The Sky
3. And You And I
4. Ritual
5. Gates Of Delirium
6. Wonderous Stories
7. Future Times
8. Does It Really Happen

I'm surprised to see a list that has wonderous stories instead of awaken but wonderous stories is actually very under rated among fans so I'm ok with that. I think because it's such a short track most yes fans have a hard time rating it very highly and yet if any other band who wasn't known for super long songs did it then it would be considered one of their best.

Date Posted: August 30 2019 at 00:15

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes Sir Bob

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. South Side Of The Sky
3. And You And I
4. Ritual
5. Gates Of Delirium
6. Wonderous Stories
7. Future Times
8. Does It Really Happen

I'm surprised to see a list that has wonderous stories instead of awaken but wonderous stories is actually very under rated among fans so I'm ok with that. I think because it's such a short track most yes fans have a hard time rating it very highly and yet if any other band who wasn't known for super long songs did it then it would be considered one of their best.

basically it still gives me goosebumps. The vocal harmony work in particular is fantastic but it just all works. I would never have picked Awaken although I do think its a highly original epic. Either Parallels (I love pipe organ generally and it has a great bassline) or Steve Howe's wonderful acoustic guitar work on TOTC would win out over Awaken for me. I just wish Steven Wilson would re-mix the whole thing!

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 30 2019 at 09:45

Could we avoid this controversy by phrasing the title as "Make your own Yes concert"? After all; Yes literally did a tour where they play one song each from their first 10 albums in a row. Seems they didn't really care that too much for the sanctity of the album when they performed live, what with picking and choosing songs from different albums to play, playing the Close To The Edge album in reverse order on the TFTO tour, and eventually dropping The Remembering from their TFTO performances.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: MaxPap
Date Posted: August 30 2019 at 09:47
Side One
Close To The Edge

Side Two
Yours Is No Disgrace
Heart Of The Sunrise

Side Three
The Revealing Science of God

Side Four
Awaken
To Be Over

Posted By: zawesomekid
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 18:23

1. "Siberian Khatru"
  2. "Sound Chaser"
  3. "Close to the Edge"
  4. "Heart of the Sunrise" 
  5. "And You and I"
  6. "Gates of Delirium"

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:35
just a reminder of the 'one song per album' rule  Wink 

Posted By: ProjektGemineye1
Date Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:44

Side A
1. New State of Mind
2. Looking Around
3. Turn Of The Century
4. Southside of the Sky

Side B
5. Hearts
6. Sound Chaser
7. And You And I
8. That, That Is

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:02

I love these Make Your Own Album threads where you choose your favourite songs from each of eight favourite albums. I'll have my list ready for you as soon as I've listened again to my classic YES back-catalogue. Smile

Date Posted: October 25 2019 at 04:16
1. Survival (YES)
2. Time and a Word (Time and a Word)
3. Starship Trooper (The Yes Album)
4. Heart of the Sunrise (Fragile)
5. Close to the Edge (Close to the Edge)
6. Ritual (Tales from Topographic Oceans)
7. To Be Over (Relayer)
8. Awaken (Going for the One)  

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: October 25 2019 at 09:59

1. Starship Trooper (The Yes Album)
2. South Side of the Sky (Fragile)
3. Close to the Edge (Close to the Edge)
4. Gates of Delirium (Relayer)
5. Awaken (Going for the One)
6. On the Silent Wings of Freedom (Tormato)
7. Machine Messiah (Drama)
8. Changes (90125)

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: October 25 2019 at 15:54
1. Survival

2. Time and a Word

3. Starship Trooper

4. Heart of the Sunrise

5. Close to the Edge

6. Ritual (Nous Somme du Soleil)

7. To Be Over

8. Awaken

Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 10:49
I already made my favourite YES album and now it's time for my favourite YES concert. I'm posting the concert here because I couldn't  think of anywhere else to post it without starting a whole new thread, and this IS a YES appreciation thread in all but name after all. Yours is No Disgrace if you want to skip the concert and make your own YES album instead though. Smile
The concert below features the classic YES line-up of:- Jon Anderson; Bill Bruford; Steve Howe; Tony Kaye; Trevor Rabin; Chris Squire; Rick Wakeman; and Alan White.

Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 19:02

I agree. Many of my favourite albums are "Best of" compilations, and that includes Classic Yes. Smile

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 11 2020 at 19:56
This is my Yes compilation. It's a double album
DISC 1 (unaltered Close to the Edge basically):
1. Close to the Edge
2. And You and I
3. Siberian Khatru
DISC 2 (Fralayer xD)
1. Gates of Delirium
2. Heart of the Sunrise
3. To Be Over

Oh smokes. I didn't read the rules. So yeah, If I were to play by the rules, I simply wouldn't do a compilation at all. ;p IMO CTTE is so well balanced that taking out one song just would make it way less appealing. But, when it comes to Relayer, I just don't like Sound Chaser all that much so to me replacing it with a more exciting song with a similar duration is a good choice.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk