Print Page | Close Window

who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120329
Printed Date: September 20 2024 at 18:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?
Posted By: BaldJean
Subject: who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:46
by this question I mean: who is in your opinion the artist who most releases album after album in short intervals that are mostly not necessary at all?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Replies:
Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:52
Too many on the Psych Rock and Prog Electronic genres to mention, especially those who seem to release every improv session they play Ermm

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:08
Two artists that come to mind right away.  Both of them have had some excellent albums, but have also had some that have failed, probably because they put out too many at a time.  Motorpsycho is one that is guilty of this, especially in their earlier years, but have also had some albums that were quite stellar.  Another is Buckethead who might hold the record for releasing the most albums in a single year.  There are many more, but those were the two that came to mind immediately. 

Oh yeah, another is The Residents.  They have some great albums, but seem to have gone through an extended period when their music was sub par.  I know part of that has to do with their humor, but a lot of their output during the 80s and 90s was unnecessary and they also seem to release everything they record, including incidental music and even background music played during intermission of their shows.  I love the Residents most of the time, but they do tend to wear out some of their jokes.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:38
I don't listen to him, but I cannot imagine that Bucket Head's 150 albums, up to 30 in one year, are all of high quality.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:39
Buckethead and Soniq Theater. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:59
For a while, Yanni held the crown, hahaha!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 12:10
Mario Pelchat, supreme futility.

and if he read my comment he will surely try to punch me in the face...that could be a an interesting fight.

-------------

Posted By: Erenan
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 13:18
Anyone familiar enough with Omar Rodriguez Lopez's solo work to know if he applies here? (I'm not.)

-------------
https://lukesimpsonmusic.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:10
Most incontinent artists?

Sounds like a Monty Python Skit

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:11
Buckethead.

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:37
I think King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are making a run at this distinction.  

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

There's a compelling theory that 'Close to the Edge' is about being on the toilet with stomach flu:  "rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace.  I get up, I get down..."

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: MoebiusStreet
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:57
Tangerine Dream has been around for a really long time, so they've had the time to release a lot. But there really is a huge quantity, and while some of it is wonderful, some of it is ... not.

Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 15:52

I thought this word best described an artist that can't hold back his musical excretions, like an incontinent person can't hold back his/her body excretions

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Erenan
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 16:15
LOL GLOL LOL
I love this topic. I'm so disappointed in myself that I didn't get the metaphor until you explained it

-------------
https://lukesimpsonmusic.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 16:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Buckethead and Soniq Theater. 
Of the bands/artists I know, I would also pick these two. 

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 17:26
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I
though this word best described an artist that can't hold back his
musical excretions, like an incontinent person can't hold back his/her
body excretions

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 17:27

I'm sure many of the old prog guys in their 70s are incontinent.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: June 19 2019 at 18:41
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Buckethead.

Yep, the Bucketed One is who I would have said...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 00:08
As much as I am a fan of his seventies work (and I also like the Retro albums and The New Age trilogy) I would put Rick Wakeman somewhere up there . He has released over a 100 albums and too many boring live albums imo.

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 01:18
I feel Neal Morse could hold it in a bit.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 03:25
Names like Buckethead and Senmuth burp up in my mind when it comes to a diagnosis of artistic dysenteria. 
Tangerine Dream and Frank Zappa also qualify for imodium.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 04:20
Not mentioned already, Phrozenlight. A man who keeps the percentage of albums without reviews on PA very high. Senmuth is not currently releasing albums. I think he's currently involved in some archeological researches in Egypt.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 06:06
Robert Pollard/Guided By Voices

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 07:05
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Names like Buckethead and Senmuth burp up in my mind when it comes to a diagnosis of artistic dysenteria. 
Tangerine Dream and Frank Zappa also qualify for imodium.

As creative and different as TD and FZ were, to consider them incontinent, I wold suggest that the presenter has not heard a whole lot, and neither has he/she been aware of the history of the instrumentation to have a better idea of what it was like, not only to put together what they did, but to actually present it on stage.

As for the other two, I have not listened enough even though I saw Buckethead in 1999 in the SF Progressive Music Show, however, I thought then, that he really need some help with his presentation lest half his audience would fall asleep ... and not very good music for some of the monsters in the movie stuff behind him.

Some incontinent ... I suppose that Bob Dylan and Peter Hammill fit ... but we love their words to give a damn about the music!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 07:19
GG Allin

Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 07:21
Well, having remembered Phrozenlight I've seen that his discography wasn't up to date. Since when I stopped updating it in 2016. I have now added about 45 albums and now only 2018 and 2019 (36 albums up to now) are left. Then there are all the singles and the EPs... currently he has 302 full length and exagerately full length albums on Progarchives. 

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 07:32
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

GG Allin

For the win!

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 08:05
Has anyone mentioned Rick Wakeman yet?Smile

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 08:13

Yes.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 08:13
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Well, having remembered Phrozenlight I've seen that his discography wasn't up to date. Since when I stopped updating it in 2016. I have now added about 45 albums and now only 2018 and 2019 (36 albums up to now) are left. Then there are all the singles and the EPs... currently he has 302 full length and exagerately full length albums on Progarchives. 

302!!! That's got to be the winner surely.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 08:26
I made this list on RYM a while back that lists all artists who have released more than 50 albums. Even though i'm not familiar with all of them and some of them are even my favorite artists (Buckethead, Residents, Bob Dylan etc), i think they all qualify because there is a lot of crap padding the hidden jewels. This list has more artists than you could possibly imagine.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/artists-with-more-than-50-studio-albums/" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/artists-with-more-than-50-studio-albums/

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: FXM
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 08:29
I had never heard of Phrozenlight until now, just looked up the discography - that makes Tangerine Dream look constipated !

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

I had never heard of Phrozenlight until now, just looked up the discography - that makes Tangerine Dream look constipated !

Yeah and out of the 218 albums, how many do you think are even worth hearing if any. I've never listened to even 1. 

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 10:32
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Yeah and out of the 218 albums, how many do you think are even worth hearing if any. I've never listened to even 1. 

If Silly Puppy hasn't listened to any of their albums, I ain't getting anywhere near Phrozenlight.

Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 10:34
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

GG Allin

His "concerts" certainly fall under "what cannot be unseen..." LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: June 20 2019 at 22:04
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

I feel Neal Morse could hold it in a bit.

Not so much frequency of albums, but in producing 2hr CD's with about 40 minutes of actual music.

Date Posted: June 21 2019 at 00:17
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If Silly Puppy hasn't listened to any of their albums, I ain't getting anywhere near Phrozenlight.
I have also reviewed a bunch of them. Sometimes he makes something worth, but usually he looks like somebody playing with his equipment and recording everything he does. 
Currently the albums are over 300 and I still have 36 to add. Then there would be some hundreds of singles and EPs, but I'm not sure to be wishing to add all them.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 21 2019 at 05:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

As much as I am a fan of his seventies work (and I also like the Retro albums and The New Age trilogy) I would put Rick Wakeman somewhere up there . He has released over a 100 albums and too many boring live albums imo.

This!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: June 21 2019 at 07:51
Hawkwind is the most incontinent band of all.

I did a check of their releases on Discogs, and this is what I found:

261 unique releases (albums, singles, compilations, videos, misc) -- not counting re-releases of the same album

1060 different compositions (i.e. named songs)

So, by my calculations, any one release contains only, on average, 1060/261 = 4 new tracks -- the rest being repeats!

It's actually even worse considering that many of the named compositions are actually repeats, but are counted as different because of spelling variations, or errors in Discogs bookkeeping. So there are actually fewer than 1060 unique compositions spread out over the 261 releases.

I mean, consider "Master of the Universe". It appears as 125 different recordings (a total of 351 different tracks) on their 261 releases. Almost one out of two releases will contain this song.

I like Hawkwind's music. I just don't like how they keep recycling the same music over and over.

Date Posted: June 21 2019 at 08:09
Sorry but Phrozemlight has more than 300 full length albums (excluding Lives, EPs and compilatioms. It's almost the same track repeated for ages, but this is what the Berlin school sometimes looks like.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

261 unique releases (albums, singles, compilations, videos, misc) -- not counting re-releases of the same album

So, by my calculations, any one release contains only, on average, 1060/261 = 4 new tracks -- the rest being repeats!

It's actually even worse considering that many of the named compositions are actually repeats, but are counted as different because of spelling variations, or errors in Discogs bookkeeping. So there are actually fewer than 1060 unique compositions spread out over the 261 releases.

I mean, consider "Master of the Universe". It appears as 125 different recordings (a total of 351 different tracks) on their 261 releases. Almost one out of two releases will contain this song.

I like Hawkwind's music. I just don't like how they keep recycling the same music over and over.

There are certainly myriad compilations/collections and live releases, but they do have many wholly unique studio albums, all the way up to the present.

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2019 at 07:37
It looks like we have another contender in Phrozenlight. Wow, this guy(?)is heading near Buckethead proliferation.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 22 2019 at 07:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

There are certainly myriad compilations/collections and live releases, but they do have many wholly unique studio albums, all the way up to the present.

And most of their compilation albums and many of their live albums are not authorized by the band at all and should be removed from the archives, for example "The Text of Festival" or "Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin".

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 25 2019 at 01:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yes.

LOL

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 25 2019 at 22:31
all the ex wives need supporting 
Big smile

Posted By: The Ploot
Date Posted: June 26 2019 at 22:36
Incontinent? Hahahahaaaa! I believe you mean "inconsistent".

Date Posted: June 26 2019 at 23:02
The most incontinent artist is the one who poops the most.LOL

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: June 27 2019 at 10:10
I did three yesterday. Does that count or do I have to do three everyday?

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: June 27 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by The Ploot The Ploot wrote:

Incontinent? Hahahahaaaa! I believe you mean "inconsistent".

no, I definitely meant "incontinent". you should read my initial post; it is all explained there

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 27 2019 at 15:43

by this question I mean: who is in your opinion the artist who most releases album after album in short intervals that are mostly not necessary at all?

Perhaps prolific may be more appropriate?

Incontinent has other implications.

Date Posted: June 27 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Perhaps prolific may be more appropriate?

Incontinent has other implications.

I chose the word on purpose. as I said earlier in this thread: I thought this word best described an artist that can't hold back his musical excretions, like an incontinent person can't hold back his/her body excretions

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: June 27 2019 at 18:34

It looks like we have another contender in Phrozenlight. Wow, this guy(?)is heading near Buckethead proliferation.

Yeah I was noticing Phrozenlight's crazy discography just the other day.  What has he got like 30 new albums so far this year?  It's like a magazine subscription or something.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk