Print Page | Close Window

LAMB ... Making of

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120468
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 10:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: LAMB ... Making of
Posted By: Quinino
Subject: LAMB ... Making of
Date Posted: July 11 2019 at 08:46
They were still five, then, but sadly not for long ... read the whole not-so-secret story https://www.loudersound.com/features/genesis-i-was-aware-there-was-something-going-on-with-peter" rel="nofollow - HERE

Replies:
Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: July 11 2019 at 09:40
Like the Tales piece, there’s nothing really new here. But these stories never get old! The author does a really good job of weaving the making-of story, the history of the band, and the story of the concert tour. Thanks for posting.

P.S. All of the guys, but especially Collins and Gabriel look so young!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 11 2019 at 13:04
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Like the Tales piece, there’s nothing really new here. But these stories never get old! The author does a really good job of weaving the making-of story, the history of the band, and the story of the concert tour. Thanks for posting.

P.S. All of the guys, but especially Collins and Gabriel look so young!

Indeed, nothing new, but always fun to read when you come across an article of this nature. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 11 2019 at 13:54
Love this! Thank you for sharing, one of my favorite Genesis albums 😎.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: July 13 2019 at 12:39
You're welcome, couldn't keep it only for myself, fun reading indeed.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 08:17
Hi,

Having been around at the time, I did NOT hear GENESIS until the album SEBTP came out ... and while there was some far out stuff in there, I did not miss a lot of it ... I already had my ANGE, VANGELIS, ALAN STIVELL, AMON DUUL 2, TANGERINE DREAM, KLAUS SCHULZE, YES, JETHRO TULL, ELP ... and so on ... and adding GENESIS was almost an after thought although I like a couple of things in it. But it did not, until TLLDOB, have the strength and innovative feeling that so many others did, and the sad thing for me, is that they tried hard to put together something like TLLDOB and then could not "finish it" and had to add a song for the radio, so people thought they were not just an artsy crafty band ... and this time, they were going around without all the costumes, which left a lot of fans weirded out, because they NEVER GOT A CHANCE to see all that stuff and the big hoopla about it ... by the time you heard of GENESIS, it was really over, and it became just a hit band with Phil Collins!

I mention the "innovative feeling" because I had been (and still AM!) into film, theater, literature and the arts in general, and the late 60's and early 70's were MASSIVE in the arts of all kind, of which the world of rock music was way too far behind, because most of the media about it, was only centered on what sold, and early GENESIS did not sell, therefore it wasn't good enough! 

And I already knew 50 years ago, that this was a media fabrication and ash kissing of said media!

The last bit of GENESIS I ever read about and saved, was the foldout (alas no tootsies!) in Melody Maker where Peter Gabriel was interviewed and he did not say a whole lot about the band, except that there were some ideological and artistic differences, and that he was hoping to go more theater/film with the whole thing, but too much of it was taken off his hands ... and then later, of course, other band members started talking about what a mess the album was ... which was their reasoning for thinking the album did not sell as much as other stuff was there was doing, and was about to be jumped on by the record company, to show that PG was not the integral part of the creativity of the band!

My thoughts at the time, were that PG wanted to go towards the other arts, and preferably into film ... but when his first solo album was just a bunch of songs, and it sold, he gave up ... he became just another rock'n'roller that thought he had more to say than you or I or anyone else, and ... that was the end of PG for me, and by the time he got to the hammer, I was gone, and not interested. Peter Hammill was my style ... not Peter Gabriel's pseudo pop! Or Genesis, for that matter!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 09:08
I hadn't known that Rutherford wanted to make an album based on "The Little Prince"; it would certainly have been interesting. @Peter Gabriel: "The Little Prince" IS NOT TWEE AT ALL Angry

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 16:54
Do mean the children's book by the French gentleman who died in a plane crash in WWII. St. Exupery, wasn't it?

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 17:09
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Do mean the children's book by the French gentleman who died in a plane crash in WWII. St. Exupery, wasn't it?

Not quite right. He was in a plane crash but he survived. His death is a mystery in that he sort of pulled an Emilia Earthart and disappeared.

Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 17:24
Ok thanks. But I'm on the right track, yes? I remember reading that when my French was better. I loved that story, with all the neat little drawings. I'll have to go back and read it again.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 17:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not quite right. He was in a plane crash but he survived. His death is a mystery in that he sort of pulled an Emilia Earthart and disappeared.

as did Roald Amundsen, conqueror of the South pole, in 1928 when he went on a rescue mission for the crashed Nobile zeppelin expedition to the North pole

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 17:28
I saw his statue in Tromsoe, and watched the sun go around and around in the sky.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 14 2019 at 23:17
Reading Moshkito's comments he mentions the 'song for the radio' . I assume he means 'It' which personally I like and never had a problem with. The end of the album is a bit like the end to Monty Python and the Holy Grail which coincidentally came out in the same . It's that stepping outside of itself thing isn't it? Anyway I love the first two sides and the final side. Just that trick third side that I'm not totally convinced by but I know a lot of people love The Waiting Room. I can see that up to a point but it's not really for me. 

Date Posted: July 15 2019 at 07:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

…
 It's that stepping outside of itself thing isn't it? Anyway I love the first two sides and the final side. Just that trick third side that I'm not totally convinced by but I know a lot of people love The Waiting Room. I can see that up to a point but it's not really for me. 

This is the part of "music" that is really hard on the folks composing something … music history is full of moments where the music goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time, and you and I do not sit here and say that Mozart is _______, or that Verdi is ____________ or that Stravinsky is __________ … but we hear Side 3 of a YES piece and then side 3 of a GENESIS piece, and we get upset and disappointed because it does not have the "flow" and the "lyrics" (specially this to tell you/us what it is about!!!!!!!!! We're children you know?) … for us to know what it all is about and what it all means … and of course, some of the musicians in the bands (both of them!) immediately trash it with the rock reviewers, so that they can stay on the side of the "fans", and make sure that album sales for their next bunch of songs comes out … ohhh … in two weeks! (so to speak!)

I find it weird … "stepping outside of itself" … and no one having the notion, or the ability to check this in some other music, and specially in the history of music for the last 600 years or so … the comment makes no sense to me … because it is like saying that the composer is an idiot and would not know how to put together something of a story … but we stopped looking at this story … because the lyrics did not TELL US what it was about!

There is no writer, or artist, out there, that does not "step outside oneself" … their work would not develop if that were the case, and the simple continuation of "ideas" in our heads do NOT have the immediacy and the excitement that … dreams do inside our heads! We simply "dismiss" what the dreaming has to show us and tell us, which is one of the main reasons why these odd ball things are never understood … we already dismissed a part of ourselves … now we're working on the the City of Lost Children … making sure that we dismiss the rest within ourselves and all the others around us!

There is NOTHING weird in the YES and GENESIS version of these Side 3's … our imaginations and lack of desire to study/read it, is more at fault than anything else … just sad how we think that one person with this and that is cool, and in the next sentence, they are totally stupid! 

These Side 3's are both GREAT … and I love them dearly!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 15 2019 at 08:50
My second favorite album.

Date Posted: July 15 2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

…
 It's that stepping outside of itself thing isn't it? Anyway I love the first two sides and the final side. Just that trick third side that I'm not totally convinced by but I know a lot of people love The Waiting Room. I can see that up to a point but it's not really for me. 

This is the part of "music" that is really hard on the folks composing something … music history is full of moments where the music goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time, and you and I do not sit here and say that Mozart is _______, or that Verdi is ____________ or that Stravinsky is __________ … but we hear Side 3 of a YES piece and then side 3 of a GENESIS piece, and we get upset and disappointed because it does not have the "flow" and the "lyrics" (specially this to tell you/us what it is about!!!!!!!!! We're children you know?) … for us to know what it all is about and what it all means … and of course, some of the musicians in the bands (both of them!) immediately trash it with the rock reviewers, so that they can stay on the side of the "fans", and make sure that album sales for their next bunch of songs comes out … ohhh … in two weeks! (so to speak!)

I find it weird … "stepping outside of itself" … and no one having the notion, or the ability to check this in some other music, and specially in the history of music for the last 600 years or so … the comment makes no sense to me … because it is like saying that the composer is an idiot and would not know how to put together something of a story … but we stopped looking at this story … because the lyrics did not TELL US what it was about!

There is no writer, or artist, out there, that does not "step outside oneself" … their work would not develop if that were the case, and the simple continuation of "ideas" in our heads do NOT have the immediacy and the excitement that … dreams do inside our heads! We simply "dismiss" what the dreaming has to show us and tell us, which is one of the main reasons why these odd ball things are never understood … we already dismissed a part of ourselves … now we're working on the the City of Lost Children … making sure that we dismiss the rest within ourselves and all the others around us!

There is NOTHING weird in the YES and GENESIS version of these Side 3's … our imaginations and lack of desire to study/read it, is more at fault than anything else … just sad how we think that one person with this and that is cool, and in the next sentence, they are totally stupid! 

These Side 3's are both GREAT … and I love them dearly!

fine … I'm never going to muse over this to that degree. Yep I'm probably not that open to weirdness in music and I readily admit it. I'm also pretty convinced that a lot of prog is deliberately 'out there' because there was actually a competition at the time. However I like the ending that still retains a sense of reality and even suggests tongue in cheek that the previous 70 minutes may or may not be a load of pretentious bollocks... but you have the power to decide so all is cool. The might be the biggest difference between Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel I suspect.

Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 09:00

fine … I'm never going to muse over this to that degree. Yep I'm probably not that open to weirdness in music and I readily admit it. I'm also pretty convinced that a lot of prog is deliberately 'out there' because there was actually a competition at the time. However I like the ending that still retains a sense of reality and even suggests tongue in cheek that the previous 70 minutes may or may not be a load of pretentious bollocks... but you have the power to decide so all is cool. The might be the biggest difference between Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel I suspect.

Every artist out there, regardless of who they are, and what field they are in, have a bit of the internal that is very difficult for anyone to make sense of.

That they can "picture" it, and occasionally show it, is a valuable sign that they are in touch with their intuitive and artistic side when they are working on their work ... there is a "link" that allows us to see that ... and the best example I can give you is Picasso and Guernica ... that is in pieces on purpose, because that was what the young man saw out on the streets from his window, in the early days of the Spanish bruhaha ... that went after artists and writers as well, to ensure they did not create more words/works that made the government appear even worse. 

The "view", "thought", and "idea" of something like this or what happened later in a few places in Germany, is not something that would have a keyboard, a bass, a guitar, lyrics ... and then a singer telling you about this and that and this and that ... it would be very different, abstract, and in many ways giving you and I an idea of something that we know, but don't like ... fear and ... the unknown coming right up!

A lot of those "abstract" pieces, are for me, the very best ... totally the BEST ... because some folks DO KNOW how to illustrate a lot of things ... and the part that bothers me, is that we "accept" that the lyrics are the end all of everything ... and that the music behind it is not important ... and of course, when you separate the two, all of a sudden they don't mix very well! That's rock'n'roll for you ... we're TOLD what is supposed to be good ... we're not allowed to see and think on our own ... specially here!

20th Century music has a lot of "abstract" music ... and really, a lot of it is telling us that there were a lot of horrors in that century ... that now we're trying to erase from history, by making sure that the artistic way it was interpreted is destroyed and hidden ... and you and I know that is totally wrong ... and a social/media thing that needs to get addressed ... like the school erasing a mural because they think it tells American History incorrectly! Who the fudge are they to say they are interpreting it right in the first place?

We need those oddities in the arts ... they speak more than any lyrics out there in any song ... but we're such vicious and malicious people ... conveniently using the "media" and "public" to support what we have been told is the truth ... even if it is from the worst book EVER translated in the history of humankind!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 09:14
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Do mean the children's book
by the French gentleman who died in a plane crash in WWII. St. Exupery,
wasn't it?

Not quite right. He was in a plane crash but he
survived. His death is a mystery in that he sort of pulled an Emilia
Earthart and disappeared.

as did Roald
Amundsen, conqueror of the South pole, in 1928 when he went on a rescue
mission for the crashed Nobile zeppelin expedition to the North pole
the Roald in Roald Amundsen infleunced the parrents of a famed cildren authrr to have the name Roald followed by Dahl.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 10:00
Unlike Yes/Tales, which I fell in love with immediately, I really didn't dig Genesis back in my teen years. I can't ever remember relating much to the Lamb at that point. It was until much more recently that I truly began to enjoy Genesis beyond the cursory spins, in the same way I would a Yes album. Now, when I play the Lamb, it is a unique experience because I do not have it assimilated in the way I do other albums of the era because I rarely played it as a youth.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 13:12
I guess it's inevitable - the music you grow up with lands in your brain in a special way much different from what you experience in your later life.

Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 13:22
Different, yes, but music embraced later is no less appreciated or less welcome to me. I have never stopped checking out new music and I love much of what I hear. I don't only appreciate what I loved at 15 or 20.

These days, I'm into a strange combination of mid-century jazz/swing and current indie rock, many of the latter the work of 20-year-old female rockers. There is still plenty of great stuff I haven't heard, and I embrace it.

That said, I will always return to Bon Scott and the first Rush album with zero guilt and without looking down my nose at it. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy music that isn't "progressive" or cerebral. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 23:42
I just find I have a boredom threshold. ACDC never did it for me even when I was 15. I don't mind a bit of trashy dance music though!

Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Unlike Yes/Tales, which I fell in love with immediately, I really didn't dig Genesis back in my teen years. I can't ever remember relating much to the Lamb at that point. It was until much more recently that I truly began to enjoy Genesis beyond the cursory spins, in the same way I would a Yes album. Now, when I play the Lamb, it is a unique experience because I do not have it assimilated in the way I do other albums of the era because I rarely played it as a youth.

I already had all of YES albums when I got into GENESIS. I already had 3, or was it 4 -- can't remember, JETHRO TULL albums, when I first heard GENESIS in 1973 I think it was ... SEBTP ... and while I liked that album, that same night I went back to my headphones and played SPACE RITUAL from HAWKWIND, which ought to tell you how it hit me ... it was interesting, but not overwhelming. 

Almost a year later, I was working at the restaurant (10-6 graveyard) and my roomie was on the air ... and what did he play? Right at midnight ... THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY ... and he PLAYED BOTH ALBUMS IN THEIR ENTIRETY ... and when done, he said that he got so many calls and appreciation for doing that ... he played the whole thing again!

THAT, became, my most memorable and enjoyable day with GENESIS, and I enjoyed that album and its story and emotion ... it wasn't exactly just a bunch of wannabe rock songs for radio ... it had meaning and it was strong and deep! Sadly, it was OVER ... the following week or month -- something like that -- PG had left, and such a wonderful work was over and done with and would never get played again!

The loser in that event ... is you and I!

ART is valuable and important for all of us ... and in that album, PG and GENESIS said more about it all, than their complete listing of albums, and "little stories" that meant this or that because the lyrics told you.

It reminded me of the day I saw TFTO ... when I left, crying during the encore ... you know it ... that hit! ... that it had been the first and the last outstanding classical music concert done by a rock band ever done ... that I would EVER see in my life! Already, the media was controlling everything and trashing "progressive" just because of the word, and saying that long cuts were history ... like they did not even exist in Woodstock, or in the scene in the late 60's ... why? 

Just like the other set of postings, everyone hated the "meandering", because they did not understand it ... and you know my comment then? ... you didn't go into the FILLMORE and get stoned ... because if you did, you would likely have appreciated some of the musical excursions ... not just the stupid songs and how they fared on the radio/listings today!

The love and respect for the music itself ... is gone ... now only a bit of it is music and the rest sux!

Worst of all ... we allow it and a bunch of folks says that I am the old man gratefully dead!

From Peter Michael Hamel ... there is an old man on top of the mountain and he is playing a one string something or other ... and he is dancing and singing with it ... I got it ... I got it ... I got it ... and a visitor comes by looks at him, and says ... WHAT?

Maybe one day, that visitor will be artistic enough to ask and learn a thing or two about listening and playing and understanding the artistic heart!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:39
^
Great story, Pedro. I too have some memorable first exposures to classic albums like that. Some during restaurant work, too, as well as in the dimly lit basements and attic bedrooms of some long lost friends. Sometimes the moment becomes the extra catalyst to a beloved musical attachment, whether live or off recorded media. Keep the faith!

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 01:12

Reading Moshkito's comments he mentions the 'song for the radio' . I assume he means 'It' which personally I like and never had a problem with. The end of the album is a bit like the end to Monty Python and the Holy Grail which coincidentally came out in the same . It's that stepping outside of itself thing isn't it? Anyway I love the first two sides and the final side. Just that trick third side that I'm not totally convinced by but I know a lot of people love The Waiting Room. I can see that up to a point but it's not really for me. 

It's the 4th side that leaves me relatively cold. Side 3 has Lilywhite Lilith and The Lamia ( the former I would have liked to have been developed a but more). I can cope with the Waiting Room. I must admit I enjoyed more when I was high, but it was good to hear such a 'stiff' band, freaking out.

The whole Lamb package works very well for me. When I first heard it, it chimed with my interest in sci-fi, horror and general weirdness, and anyone else I knew at the time, who had an opinion on Genesis, one way or the other, despised it when I played it to them.

Anyway, that's quite a good site. The pictures are fantastic.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 06:57

^
Great story, Pedro. I too have some memorable first exposures to classic albums like that. Some during restaurant work, too, as well as in the dimly lit basements and attic bedrooms of some long lost friends. Sometimes the moment becomes the extra catalyst to a beloved musical attachment, whether live or off recorded media. Keep the faith!

Thanks ... I read a lot about artists, and specially in their own words, poetry, and other works. To me, they are the greatest teachers of all. You will notice in the listing of film reviews, how many of the films are about the arts and artists ... and it is, for me a "life study", and a lot of this "progressive music", is the same thing for me ... I love the music and its expression, and don't go around saying that all the ad-libbing and experimentation does not belong ... it's hard to describe and explain our very own internal dreams, the ones past REM and all that ... when there is no explanation, and ... it's all just there ... and you can't say that it does not belong to you (or within you!), since it happened to that SAME PERSON ... yes, there could/would/are many things that sometimes are confusing, but I would rather see them than have someone use a song's lyrics to tell me what religion is like, and what faith is like ... and how valuable that is to your inner constitution. 

In going back to that memory, there is something quite magical to the FM radio signal that is never discussed, and mostly because today no one bothers to listen to it (too much merde in the music and the commerciality of it all I bet!), to learn, how valuable the signal was to this new music and how it made it stand out ... today, all of the signals in the FM dial here in Portland/Vancouver are not even close to the quality of the old days KMET/KLOS/KTYD (Santa Barbara) that graced the airwaves and made so much of this music seem so damn good. The mp3 quality that most listen to these days, takes away a certain percentage of the LIFE of the music, which I am not sure that most of us can understand or hear. I can not, for example, play TFTO, CTTE, TAAB, ECHOES, YETI, EGO ET DEUS and many other things, on the car ... because their quality doesn't drive me all of a sudden.

And I think that is one of the subtle things that drove the music that I am not sure folks, TODAY, can relate to, and it reduces the music to just a song ... just a song ... just a song ... 

And it makes you wonder why we would like ... just a song ... when there are millions of them!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:48
^
Agree on that too. I'm younger than you, but I remember my older brother telling me how adventurous FM radio was earlier in the 70s....I missed the boat.

I actually still enjoy radio because I admit (blushing) that I also love pop and rock and classic rock, all of which are still available locally. If I want to listen to something like the Lamb, I'll grab my CD and blow the car speakers senseless. If I just want some rock, I'll usually stick with radio.

Unless we're talking about a long vacation drive....then I bring a CD case with at least a dozen titles.

-------------

Date Posted: July 20 2019 at 08:40

Unless we're talking about a long vacation drive....then I bring a CD case with at least a dozen titles.

Heck, I just burned up my CD player on my car ... ohh, btw, I had over 55 CD's in there with mp3's that I made from my 1500 CD's ... I think I had a listing once of about 45 different bands, and at least 2 or 3 albums for all of them in those CD's.

Some of my favorite road music bands, are Caravan, Hawkwind, Guru Guru, Focus ... some of the others I have the CD's of, are also there, but driving with Djam Karet on the player, is hazardous to your imagination and attention span on the road ... hehehehehehehe .... 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk