Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120509
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 21:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First 5 Kansas Albums
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: First 5 Kansas Albums
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 02:08
I honestly don’t know which to vote for, all maintain a really great standard of quality and each has some monster tracks, today I’ll vote song for America cause the title track and lamplight symphony are just out of this world, ask me another day and it might be leftoverture or the debut

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 02:24
I suppose leftoverture, but I can leave them all. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 04:58
Love them all.
POKR the least though.
Masque is the one I play the most these days;
So Masque.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 06:06
1. Leftoverture - A+
2. Point of No Return - A
3. Song for America - A
4. Masque - A
5 .Kansas - A-

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 10:29
One vote for "Kansas are not very good"

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 10:32
1. Leftoverture
2. Masque
3. Song for America
4. Point of no Return
5. Kansas

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 11:10
Leftoverture is when all the right pieces fell into all the right spots.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 11:19
Song For America..though Leftoverture is a close second for me...but as doug said above there are really nice tracks on all of their early albums.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 11:53
Kansas was a take em or leave em band for me until I saw their documentary. Pretty amazing how they brought classically influenced rock to small-town, middle-America.

Anyway, Leftoverture, simply for Magnum-Opus.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 15:44
Close, but Leftoverture gets my vote.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: July 16 2019 at 21:24
Those first 5 albums shows us one thing ... Kansas were very good back in the 70's. 
 I voted for Song For America though its close I like very much all those albums. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 00:08
The debut flows really well and they were trying really hard to be a 'real' prog band. By Leftoverture they had evolved into a 'crossover' band!  I'm never sure why that album gets so much love.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 00:21
Leftoverture.

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 01:31
Leftoverature.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 02:00
Although inferior to all its precdecessor (batr maybe Masque), I would've added Monolith to that list, if only because it's by miles their best artwork (both the outer and inner gatefolds)

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The debut flows really well and they were trying really hard to be a 'real' prog band. By Leftoverture they had evolved into a 'crossover' band!  I'm never sure why that album gets so much love.

Indeed, the debut is their best, IMHO

And TBH, LO has only Magnum Opus and Cheyenne to get me listening up, as the rest bores me

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 04:11
The debut is the one I go back to the most. It's really hard to compete with an album that has Belexes, Journey From Mariabronn, Apercu, and Death of Mother Nature Suite. 

Not to say the others don't have some great prog songs, they do but taken as a whole, the debut works best for me.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 07:55
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

One vote for "Kansas are not very good"

make it twoLOL

Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 08:29

Because it's freaking brilliant from end to end. 

Look, I'll take prog over pop any day, but having elements of crossover doesn't automatically invalidate music, even prog.  That that album could crossover and still be so excellent is just extra testament to its greatness.  

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 11:26
Leftoverture gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 20:04
Leftoverture is a really great album Easily their best. 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: July 17 2019 at 23:21
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Look, I'll take prog over pop any day, but having elements of crossover doesn't automatically invalidate music, even prog.  That that album could crossover and still be so excellent is just extra testament to its greatness.  

Probably a third of my prog collection is 'crossover' so I can't really disagree and I never said it was invalid I just don't get why its the automatic pick. Admittedly I've never liked Magnum Opus at all although there are some decent songs. Kansas are one of the best bands I've ever seen live but that album just feels a bit flat to me and has no real dynamics. IMO of course.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 01:07
I've always preferred their first album the most.

Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 08:29

Probably a third of my prog collection is 'crossover' so I can't really disagree and I never said it was invalid I just don't get why its the automatic pick. Admittedly I've never liked Magnum Opus at all although there are some decent songs. Kansas are one of the best bands I've ever seen live but that album just feels a bit flat to me and has no real dynamics. IMO of course.

Interesting.  I find it to be the liveliest of their albums. It's not quite as intense as Point of No Return and it doesn't have the epics of Song for America, but it has tremendous variety; every song has something that makes it entirely unique and special, thus holding my interest from end to end.  I love each individual song, all for different reasons, and yet they somehow all come together for a most satisfying listening experience in toto.  You've got power and you've got laments, you've got big guitars and swirling keyboards and truly grand symphonic prog, you've got soaring vocals and plaintive balladry.  And where else in the music world (including classical) can you find such fantastic 4 part  counterpoint as centers Miracles out of Nowhere?  

Sorry, I could gush about this one for hours.  I loved it when it came out, but unlike most such albums where burnout becomes a factor, this one has actually continued to grow even further on me over time.  

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:24
It's close but that debut is perfection!!! (Leftoverture is a very close second but those first six Kansas albums were awesome.)

Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 17:34
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

It's close but that debut is perfection!!! (Leftoverture is a very close second but those first six Kansas albums were awesome.)

Yes! Monolith is badly overlooked by most. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:25
I voted for Song for America, because Leftoverture has a big lead, but I love ALL these albums. Every one of them is indispensable. It's a magnificent five-album run. Kansas is awesome!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:00
As good as song for america is I still think leftoverture is their best. The only song on there I'm not that crazy about is "what's on my mind." The rest is mostly mind blowing.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:30

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:03

Yes! Monolith is badly overlooked by most. 

I LOVE MONOLITH!!!

Date Posted: July 21 2019 at 02:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I guess your such a great fan you just couldn't find the words to express your appreciation Smile

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 21 2019 at 02:27
Left

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 25 2019 at 03:19
Leftoverture

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 25 2019 at 05:21
all 5 are legendary albums and particulary their best albums in their career. For me Song For America tops anything by them

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: August 23 2019 at 07:50
Gotta go with the majority here...

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 23 2019 at 07:54
It seems I already voted here and posts cannot be deleted on the phone. Ignore this

Date Posted: August 23 2019 at 08:13
(Monolith should be included here.)

The debut is one of my all time favorite LP's with Leftoverture close behind.

Great, great band.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: August 23 2019 at 15:18

(Monolith should be included here.)

The debut is one of my all time favorite LP's with Leftoverture close behind.

Great, great band.

Not a fan of monolith, very uninspired and downright cringe worthy at times (stay out of trouble)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk