Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120526
Printed Date: November 20 2019 at 03:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Genres and Artists
Posted By: TCat
Subject: Prog Genres and Artists
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 08:59
This is a two part poll, so please make sure to follow instructions and avoid having spats about which genre or artist is the best of everything since it is all about your opinion.

1.  Choose your current favorite genre from the poll options.
2.  In your message, please list at least 2 bands that you have recently discovered that are from your favorite genre that help support your choice.  It doesn't matter if they are a new band or old band, as long as it is someone that you have recently discovered for yourself.  Hopefully this will help avoid having all of the Prog Metal lovers pick Dream Theater or all of the Eclectic Prog lovers from listing King Crimson (unless you truly have recently discovered them).
3. Optional:  If you want to explain why a certain genre or band is listed, go right ahead.  Let's just avoid getting into arguments if possible.  Remember, this is your opinion and everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I will go ahead and list RIO/Avant as being my current favorite genre and will mention the recently discovered artists for me in that genre are "French TV" and "Lost Crowns".

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:07
1. Jazz Rock/Fusion

2. Casiopea, and Sun Ra (I'm new to his stuff and I love it!)

-------------
Lying on the hill; crawling over the windowsill into your living room...

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:26
Symphonic. Always symphonic.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:59
Symphonic. Finally heard Anglagard. Fantastic.
Other favorite genres include Prog Folk, J/R Fusion, Proto-Prog, and Prog Related. Just acquired John Martyn's One World, a truly special album from a Prog Folk artist.

To me, Symphonic is the heart of Prog. Adventurous, but still rooted in melody. Fine musicianship required to succeed. Yes, Spock's Beard, Renaissance, ANT, Moon Safari, Kansas, Genesis, Flower Kings, The Enid, Cast, Anglagard (yes, I went down the list) are all regular listens of mine if not absolute favorites.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 11:32
Experimental/Post Metal: Tool, A Perfect Circle, and of course one of my mainstays King Crimson...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 11:52
Don't like to pick just one... but Heavy Prog. Haken and The Aristocrats

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 13:46
RPI by a smidgen.   Symphonic, Crossover, and Jazz nipping at RPI's heels.  

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:18
RIO/Avant

Tough to say which artists I've recently discovered...I guess I'll go with Piniol, Chromb!, Ni, and The World Heritage 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:26
Symphonic just over Eclectic, Xover, Heavy and Zeuhl. 

Artists: Oaksenham, Wobbler.

I mention these bands because I was not familiar with their work and they had high rankings in my last two AotY lists (Oaksenham topped my 2018 list, Wobbler ranked #3 in my 2017 list).

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:32
Symphonic includes Yes, Genesis(70's anyway), Camel, early King Crimson and the Flower Kings so symphonic for me.

-------------
Yes is for Rush fans who grew up.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:00
This exact poll has been done before, but with new members joining our group it's worth repeating from time to time.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:17
Symphonic, and Wobbler and Moon Safari would probably the new bands I like more, among the ones I've recently discovered. 

Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:51
I kind of hate to say it but in my opinion(I can't stress that enough ;)) RPI is not a real subgenre. Again MY OPINION. The reason why I feel that way is because it opens up a can of worms for every country to have their own subgenre and to me that's ridiculous. Yes, I understand it was influential but it was not(and is not) the only country with a vibrant prog scene. Ok, end of rant. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

1. Jazz Rock/Fusion

2. Casiopea, and Sun Ra (I'm new to his stuff and I love it!)

Interesting that that band Casiopea is not on this website. Tons of other fusion stuff to explore though. 

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 18:36
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

This exact poll has been done before, but with new members joining our group it's worth repeating from time to time.

There is always that fear of repeating a past poll, but like you said, new members are always joining, plus everyone is always exploring bands that are new to them, and there are always new bands to explore, so this poll isn't really static either.  Anyway, I wanted to get an idea of what people were listening to and discovering on their own, plus it also gives me ideas of other bands to explore for myself.  So, yeah, it's a little bit selfish too. 

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:36
I really can't pick a favorite genre. I pretty much spend equal time with Symphonic Prog, Heavy Prog, Progressive Metal, and Jazz/Rock Fusion.

That favoritism is based on mostly longstanding favorite artists.  Because I keep up with those genres fairly well, I don't have any recent discoveries there.  

My favorite recent discovery comes under the Prog Folk heading; the s/t album from Agusa.  (Agusa is listed on this site as Psychedelic/Space prog, but the 2019 self titled release is much more Prog Folk).

My other recent fave discovery is Experimental/Post Metal, Soen

Another recent new love is Crossover Prog, Phideaux

For my favorite genres:
Under the Heavy Prog, my most recent discovery (about a year ago) is Haken.
Under the Symphonic Prog heading, although I've long been a Spock's Beard fan, it was much more recent that I found The Neal Morse Band. 

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:50
Symphonic

Genesis
Yes
Camel
Anglagard
Wobbler
Jordsjo
Renaissance
Neal Morse

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:32
hmmm...

Krautock, Heavy, RPI, RIO-Avant, Psyche/S.R

-------------
[QUOTE=Nogbad_The_Bad]Christ you talk a lot of crap.[/QUOTE]

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 18 2019 at 21:19
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Symphonic. Always symphonic.

Same.

although I do like jazz fusion too.Smile

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 03:49
I'm a big fan of a lot of Crossover bands, so we'll go with that. The bands I've started listening to most recently are ELO and Big Big Train.

-------------
Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 03:58
Symphonic & Crossover I guess.

There's something good in all proggy subgenres.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 05:26
Definitely Symphonic.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 07:55
For me it rotates between Prog Electronic, Psych/Space and RPI. I'm on a PE mood lately so it gets my vote, although I only discovered anything new from the artist evaluations. From these I particularly liked Michel Moulinie and Jean-Michel Desbouis, Zadri & Mo and Ose.

Posted By: handwrist
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 08:49
Canterbury, Eccletic, RIO/Avant and Zeuhl

Hard to narrow it down further than these 4.

-------------
http://handwrist.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - My Music

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9405" rel="nofollow - PA Page

Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

I'm a big fan of a lot of Crossover bands, so we'll go with that. The bands I've started listening to most recently are ELO and Big Big Train.

In my opinion many if not most crossover bands are really art rock bands and that is not(again imo)true prog. 

-------------

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 12:01
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

In my opinion many if not most crossover bands are really art rock bands and that is not(again imo)true prog. 

\_(ツ)_/

-------------
Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 21:05
prog folk of course.
Hexvessel and Sangre de Muerdago are both relatively recent discoveries

Posted By: winterwizard1987
Date Posted: July 19 2019 at 22:33
Neo-prog and Crossover for me. Symphonic is certainly up there, but I find myself returning to those two subgenres the most frequently. Lately I've been enjoying Gazpacho and Mystery quite a bit.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: July 20 2019 at 06:04
Most definitely Krautrock. But I can't really say that I recently discovered anything; I have an excellent knowledge of that genre.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: July 20 2019 at 08:03
I cast the first vote for Psychedelic/Space Rock, although I could equally have jumped on the Symphonic bandwagon. Why? Most of my reviews posted on PA fall into that genre.

A recent discovery of mine was OHEAD (a Dave Hendry project). If you like Ozric Tentacles, Tangerine Dream, or even Shpongle, check 'em out here:  https://www.ohead.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ohead.co.uk/

Date Posted: July 20 2019 at 09:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Don't like to pick just one... but Heavy Prog. Haken and The Aristocrats

In my opinion Haken should be under prog metal and Riverside should be under heavy prog. The Aristocrats are jazz rock fusion on here or maybe should be.

-------------

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: July 20 2019 at 10:09
Agree.
Ani I love Haken and Riverside. Need to spend more time with Aristocrats.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: July 21 2019 at 16:00
Symphonic, Neo prog beeing a close second.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 21 2019 at 16:57
Voted RIO, bands Aranis and A.P.A.T.T., although I don't constrain myself much by genre and several genres are represented in the recently discovered bands (and/or bands that fit nowhere and anywhere have been classified somewhat randomly).

Date Posted: July 21 2019 at 17:16
I'm always curious if there is someone out there who is big into both neo prog and RIO(the two most diametrically opposed prog subgenres). :D My guess would be that most neo fans have very little if any RIO and most RIO fans have very little if any neo. That's just how it seems like it would be but I could be wrong.

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: July 21 2019 at 17:42

In my opinion Haken should be under prog metal and Riverside should be under heavy prog. The Aristocrats are jazz rock fusion on here or maybe should be.

I agree. The Aristocrats are classified as heavy prog on this site. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 23 2019 at 08:41
Hi,

I can't vote on this ... 

1. I don't listen to "genres". 

2. There are times when something from the 16th century attracts me, and I might go after some of the better known composers, or I can put on something like the Third Ear Band, or some Gryphon, to get some notions, and ideas or thoughts about some of the feelings in that music, and how it comes out.

3. Symphonic is not a "genre". The history of "music", is almost EXCLUSIVELY about it all being "symphonic" going far back and then some. My main concern is that we are calling something "symphonic" simply because it has keyboards, and while it is a "string section" to be sure, there are times when a lot of music is "symphonic" but it is not considered that ... best example is CARAVAN AND THE NEW SINFONIA, and how well their music fits a classic symphony of folks, and how well versed and intelligent musicians ) more than likely musically well educated!!!!), in order to create what they did ... and it goes back to their second album (did I get it right? For Richard) ... and the like.

"Symphonic" has evolved, since in the 16th century, orchestras did not have 100 folks ... and now they have more than that more often than not. Thus, 19th century composers were, by far the most "symphonic" in composing things for a complete orchestra, that kind of ended, or at least changed, when Stravinsky came around, even though he also used a full orchestra.

4. Jazz is not properly considered or determined, and in fact, in this poll some variations on the "jazz" theme are the only options ... a more straight away "jazz" option would make better sense to me.

5. The 1950's and 1960's black jazz pioneers were quite "symphonic" even though their main appeal was within a jazz context. I think that this, along with its melodic content, was what brought many more folks to the music.

6. There were very tough musical elements that were trying to break out of the "symphonic/orchestral" concepts in music ... and some of them are mentioned above. In almost all cases, you will find that the folks playing it, are highly educated musically and they know what they are doing. In that respect they are very "classical", although we might consider the music ... something else.

It is, however, a very interesting poll ... but I'm not sure that a good/proper conclusion can be made out of it, that would help us learn more about each and everyone of those "genres'. Yes, I know they are there to represent a style at the time and place (baroque, romantic, modern, etc) but sadly, some of the descriptions for the listings are almost secondary to another group, at least in the way I see it.

I look at all music when I see something like this ... not just a few things I listen to because I'm tired of Pink Floyd and Albinoni, all of a sudden sounds so much better as done by Thijs Van Leer. 

And things like that have a way to rip apart these polls for me!

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:37
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Experimental/Post Metal: Tool, A Perfect Circle, and of course one of my mainstays King Crimson...

King Crimson are listed here as eclectic prog not Exp/post metal.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I can't vote on this ... 

1. I don't listen to "genres". 

2. There are times when something from the 16th century attracts me, and I might go after some of the better known composers, or I can put on something like the Third Ear Band, or some Gryphon, to get some notions, and ideas or thoughts about some of the feelings in that music, and how it comes out.

3. Symphonic is not a "genre". The history of "music", is almost EXCLUSIVELY about it all being "symphonic" going far back and then some. My main concern is that we are calling something "symphonic" simply because it has keyboards, and while it is a "string section" to be sure, there are times when a lot of music is "symphonic" but it is not considered that ... best example is CARAVAN AND THE NEW SINFONIA, and how well their music fits a classic symphony of folks, and how well versed and intelligent musicians ) more than likely musically well educated!!!!), in order to create what they did ... and it goes back to their second album (did I get it right? For Richard) ... and the like.

"Symphonic" has evolved, since in the 16th century, orchestras did not have 100 folks ... and now they have more than that more often than not. Thus, 19th century composers were, by far the most "symphonic" in composing things for a complete orchestra, that kind of ended, or at least changed, when Stravinsky came around, even though he also used a full orchestra.

4. Jazz is not properly considered or determined, and in fact, in this poll some variations on the "jazz" theme are the only options ... a more straight away "jazz" option would make better sense to me.

5. The 1950's and 1960's black jazz pioneers were quite "symphonic" even though their main appeal was within a jazz context. I think that this, along with its melodic content, was what brought many more folks to the music.

6. There were very tough musical elements that were trying to break out of the "symphonic/orchestral" concepts in music ... and some of them are mentioned above. In almost all cases, you will find that the folks playing it, are highly educated musically and they know what they are doing. In that respect they are very "classical", although we might consider the music ... something else.

It is, however, a very interesting poll ... but I'm not sure that a good/proper conclusion can be made out of it, that would help us learn more about each and everyone of those "genres'. Yes, I know they are there to represent a style at the time and place (baroque, romantic, modern, etc) but sadly, some of the descriptions for the listings are almost secondary to another group, at least in the way I see it.

I look at all music when I see something like this ... not just a few things I listen to because I'm tired of Pink Floyd and Albinoni, all of a sudden sounds so much better as done by Thijs Van Leer. 

And things like that have a way to rip apart these polls for me!

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: July 23 2019 at 14:48
Mosh, my man, you're unique and totally irreplaceable - long may you live !

(go easy with the smokes, though)

-------------
Yours Sincerely

Date Posted: July 23 2019 at 16:12
yeah.. we love the Mosh. The great tragedy of f**king [email protected] not taking me on that offer to sell the site and getting me to turn this site back into the brothel and saloon it used to be..

it was not letting me do what I wanted to do.. put Pedro in charge of it all..  he is the site's voice and intellectual center. God bless him.. and his f**king dealer haha

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 00:27
Symphonic as it includes ELP , Genesis and Yes.

The only other bands that I care about as much as those are Rush and IQ. I'm guessing that Rush are in 'Heavy' category not prog metal? If so then when you include Porcupine Tree and Haken then that is a sub genre that I also like a lot. As far as Neo goes , IQ are probably the only band in that sub genre that I really love. 

On the general point about classifications it seems to me that a lot of RPI falls into Symphonic anyway!

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 08:17
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Mosh, my man, you're unique and totally irreplaceable - long may you live !

(go easy with the smokes, though)

Weird ... I don't do dope at all ... ask my neighbor who takes it medically for his Parkinson's ... and I do not drink any alcohol at all. One can of Diet Coke a day and the rest all water. I think I last had a glass of some local hops over a year ago!

I just live way too much inside the music, the keyboard in my computer, and the things that I write. 

I do "record" a heck of a lot of my dreams, which for all of you would explain some of the appreciation and attention I have to internal details, and specially how they are used in creativity, within a painting, a song, or a book!

Now you know why there are no "genres" for me ... the source is internal for all of us, and it feels like saying that because one is black, that is a genre, because one is white, that is a genre ... and for me IT NEVER IS ... since it is ALL about us, as human beings ... and how much we care about our own inner visions!

It's hard to feel like I have been placed by PA on one of the drawers in Gala's breast ... and it was closed down ... in fact, it is weird and much more surreal than Dali himself!

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 08:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah.. we love the Mosh. The great tragedy of f**king [email protected] not taking me on that offer to sell the site and getting me to turn this site back into the brothel and saloon it used to be..

It was not letting me do what I wanted to do.. put Pedro in charge of it all..  he is the site's voice and intellectual center. God bless him.. and his f**king dealer haha

I would be the biggest and best anarchist EVER, in charge of it ... but at my age, I would not want to manage it at all ... I would rather just enjoy being better than GONZO, at least when it comes to a lot of the music, and the arts, which to me ... is ... shall we say ... sacred?

The only change? The top ten would be down tomorrow and be replaced by the top ten bands ... no more sucking up to one album or two for any band! We will treat them as ARTISTS ... and that's that ... and it is what will make "progressive" important, rather than songs ... which no one remembers anymore ... 

I find it weird to see all this sucking up to commercial stuff ... and the lack of respect for "progressive" which started as a counter measure to the commercial appeal.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 08:34
and that is why you would be perfect for the job...  this place when it was great.. was a controlled form of anarchy.  Of the Darwinistic sort..  rule by the strongest and fittest.  i remember one cat we had here years ago from Swedem.. some of the old timers might remember here. Teafax.  Man oh man was he smart as a whip, know his sh*t, but had zero time for fools and was prone to shoot down anyone that he felt was talking nonsense.  Actually a really nice guy once you got passed music.. we sort of connected over.. Swedish style Pizza of all things. Go figure..

anyhow.. yeah...  take my teasing of you as a very inside joke.  Endaring for you know I love you brother. I don't do drugs anymore.. well..   once in a blue moon (see the 67 album thread for the last time haha) but the funny thing is.. no one believes me.  In fact my office gets calls regularly from customers.. especially older farts saying...  well.. this is hard to say for Michael is a lovely guy, very nice, and very friendly and is doing good work.. but.. ummm.. I do have to ask.. have you done a drug test on him.. he is talking to himself as he works. laughing at whatever he is saying to himself, suddnely singing to music he must hear in his head .. though I must say. he really does have a lovely voice

my bosses standard reply..   oh yes..  we know what you are talking about and yes.. believe it or not..  he is regularly drug tested..  he is just ... umm.. sort of odd.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 09:26

he is just ... umm.. sort of odd.

Sorry micky, but that made me chuckle.

The thought of you and Pedro in charge here is a bit like BJ being our PM - it could work out ok but...

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 09:40
For me it would be symphonic prog followed by fusion. Then heavy, avaunt, crossover, eclectic, psychedelic, neo...

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 09:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

he is just ... umm.. sort of odd.

Sorry micky, but that made me chuckle.

The thought of you and Pedro in charge here is a bit like BJ being our PM - it could work out ok but...

LOL

oh don't underestimate me my friend.. long have I played the politics of PA's and know how to win. I know what the people love here.. not f**king umpteeth Genesis or f**king Camel threads.. but excitement.. violence.. blook...and sex!!! woo hoo.. You'd see how well it worked when you got the surprise gift I'd send over a flimsy nightie and nothing else to all the old time collabs to ensure their loyalty and support as Pedro and I weave our dastardly deeds on this now Leave it to Beaver like forum and bring back the days of the Soprano like forum of old when Mick ruled from his seat in front of the stage at the Bada Bing deep within the Collab zone....and ordered hits to his enemies... and freebies given out to his buddies and cronies.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 11:04
^^You guys are too funny.  Part of me wants to start a poll for "Favorite PA Member "  but I'm pretty sure they would pull it down.  Lots of interesting characters here. , always fun! Wink

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 12:04
I'm game, micky, take me on board and make us a ruling triumvirat ClownDeadWacko

-------------
Yours Sincerely

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 12:24
ahh man.. don't think just because I don't come by and troll you and Eugene's work anymore that I don't have immense respect for the work you guys do for the site.  That sh*t as always the nitty gritty unglamorous side of doing work for the site. 

We.. the genre team leaders were the rock stars of the site back in the day. Especially for me as I had my hand in many and led multiple teams. And that made us popular. I've had offers booze, drugs, women... even friendship haha... tossed at me by desperate bands wanting to get their bands exposure through addition to teh site.  (yes the site has changed that much. It once was like that)  but you guys..  you toil away and keep the site going and going strong through its real value. That database.. so yeah..  you and Eugene always had a place in my plans for the site. While Pedro would rule over the forum, the discussion side, you two would lord over the database.   

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 14:48
Ok, ok, enough flattering !
I accept the plan with one condition, our future site anthem has absolutely to be ...

-------------
Yours Sincerely

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 16:34
So what is poast metal? Is that like toast metal?Wink

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2019 at 19:03

Ok, ok, enough flattering !

hey man..  if you get flattered from me. .who the hell you going to get it from.  Take it and wear it proudly. You both earned it 

I accept the plan with one condition, our future site anthem has absolutely to be ...

awesome!  but well..time to break you in to the ways of the old AR Thug's... you get your first assignment as we are jumping the gun here... my first job for you might be to make [email protected] disappear since the motherf**ker didn't have the good sense to sell the site to me. 

huh what's this.. A theme song..  cool.. 

*spits beer on monitor*

what the HELL is that.. there wasn't even a mandolin in it.. much less car crashes..  blood..  naked women.. guitars..  or sex. Jeez.. i think you aren't quite AR Thug material.. 

you sir.. are fired....

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2019 at 02:52
LOL

Have a nice b-day, my friend !
(hope the round number wont carry too much weight, it did on me back then)

-------------
Yours Sincerely

Date Posted: July 25 2019 at 05:42
thanks buddy.. yeah... it is a big one.  It helps that Raff told me with a completely straight face that I don't look a day over 30.. which is great.. but still sucks because at 40... I was (completely serious here) still being carded for cigarettes.. so yeah advanced decrepitude is creeping in.

It is a big one for me as I am making some substantial life changes.. both in career and in how I have been abusing myself. The stress of work gave me an excuse.. but eliminating that gives me little excuse with the better half anymore hahahah

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2019 at 07:00

So what is poast metal? Is that like toast metal?Wink

In the old days of FM radio, that was known as MOS .... more of the same!

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 06 2019 at 17:25
I voted Canterbury cuz I love the way the music entertains in a light, happy-go-lucky way though the musicianship and composition is always strong.

Two recent discoveries: 
AMOEBA SPLIT (both albums)
HOMUNCULUS RES (three albums, the debut being one of my favorite five albums of ALL-TIME)

-------------
Drew Fisher,
retired radio DJ and dormant music blogger
Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 03:05
Great Poll! Thumbs Up My vote goes to Psychedelic/Space Rock, as you can probably guess from my username. Tongue

-------------
"I always insist on being politically correct." - President Donald J. Trump

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:33
Impossible to say

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 07:56
Really hard to say. Probably a toss up between RIO and JRF over the last couple years. Neo is probably the only one that I dislike as a whole. I will probably go RIO.

Favorite fairly recent discoveries there: ni, Piniol, Tracteur, Emme Phyzeme

Although my favorite discovery so far this year is The Pneumatic Transit, which is listed as JRF, but isn't really representative of the sub.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 08:05
I just discovered what R.I.O. means - Rock In Opposition. I thought it meant Brazilian Rock at first. Tongue

-------------
"I always insist on being politically correct." - President Donald J. Trump

Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 09:41
I'm surprised there's only three for fusion and two for prog metal.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 12:42
A tie for me between Eclectic, Canterbury, and Symphonic.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:37
Triple tie for me between Crossover, Symphonic & Prog Folk.  Wish there were a Chamber Prog category, also enjoy many of the Proto Prog artists and have been known to like "Psych/Space Rock,"  too.  But voted for Crossover, as I have a special interest in it.  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 13 2019 at 03:07
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I just discovered what R.I.O. means - Rock In Opposition. I thought it meant Brazilian Rock at first. Tongue

me too LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk