Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120616
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 11:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The future of PA
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: The future of PA
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:47
I am a newbie on this site and I have come to the conclusion that most forum members like prog from 50 years ago more than current prog bands. Most discussions/threads are about Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, much more than newer bands. That’s ok… I guess.

I have also read threads that mention a lot of members left the website. Why? Did they tire of discussing the same bands from the 70’s or just lose interest in prog? So, I will pose a question. If the PA website survives for another 75 years will members still be discussing bands from the 70’s more than anything? Will the PA top 100 prog albums change?

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 10:06
I doubt the site will last another 7.5 years, let alone 75.

Anyhow, it is the way it is. If you go to Progressive Ears, it is exactly the same. The Yes threads can be interminable, although there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on that site, and I contribute occasionally.

The 70's was the start of it all, and many of us are of an age where we have very fond memories. These bands were the founders of the genre, so it is natural they get more attention. This is precisely the reason, btw, that Prog magazine always carries the "stars" on its covers. A Yes cover will sell a damn site more than, say, some obscure modern prog band nobody barring the band members mums and dogs will have heard of.

That said, I agree with you. Modern music will be the future of the genre, and there is a lot of good stuff out there, and we do discuss and review it, to be fair. If you want more of it, then simply open up threads so we can look, listen, and appreciate.

With regard to your point about people leaving, as ever human nature is more complicated than that. There are a variety of reasons why people leave, many of them quite personal.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I am a newbie on this site and I have come to the conclusion that most forum members like prog from 50 years ago more than current prog bands. Most discussions/threads are about Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, much more than newer bands. That’s ok… I guess.

I have also read threads that mention a lot of members left the website. Why? Did they tire of discussing the same bands from the 70’s or just lose interest in prog? So, I will pose a question. If the PA website survives for another 75 years will members still be discussing bands from the 70’s more than anything? Will the PA top 100 prog albums change?

You get this far but leave out the elephant in the room.  Is there really going to be much deliberation and debate about MUSIC, esp non classical/jazz music, per se in another ten years?  Not the way things are going.  On the one hand, rents keep going up and live venues keep closing, making it harder and harder for bands to eke out any kind of living performing. On the other, if P2P was bad enough, now we have moved wholesale to streaming.  You'll need maybe 1 billion subscribers across the world to generate a total revenue of $12 billion annually at the abysmal rates these services charge.  And then, they will hand out the bulk to the genius wannabe Zuck who started it and his/her brilliant techies before handing over whatever remains to the musicians.  

With music getting so royally f**ked in terms of the economics, is it any wonder that discussion about new bands has dried up on this website?  It used not to be this way even six-seven years back.  Fewer and fewer albums get made, fewer still rise to the level where they can evoke the interest of any significant number of members here.  All very understandable and depressing. "One of the wonders of the world is going down, and no one cares enough."

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 11:18

As long as bands from the classic era continue to attract new, younger fans, there is going to be demand for a site like PA.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 11:23
Believe it or not, bands from the classic era continue to be unearthed.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 12:02

From the perspective of the whole history of music, Rock is still the latest thing Tongue

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 13:31
This is a comment that has been made before.  There are a lot of people that make this claim and complain about it, but there are very few that really do anything about it.  If you want to spread the good word about newer bands, that's fine, let's do it already.  I do it through reviews.  As far as the forum, however, your best response is going to come from bands that people already know, the ones they are the most familiar with.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that forums about newer music get ignored completely.  Many readers think, I must check that out, and then they forget about it, unless someone reminds them that they were going to check it out by giving more exposure to the band or album through reminders.  But the more you push it, the more people will remember.  I find the best results from getting people to listen come from the reviews, especially when the reviews are consistently good.  If you want to spread the word, write more reviews.  There are plenty of new releases in 2019 that still haven't been reviewed and I bet some of them are  excellent.  I keep finding them all the time. 

I have seen that you have tried to start discussions about newer bands before, and that's great.  But give us more to go on by doing reviews too.  Find some way to get the interest going and I bet you'll start getting responses.  But it won't help by pointing out an issue that has been pointed out before.  People have a somewhat common reference when it comes progressive rock and it usually seems to be with the older bands, use that to your advantage to present newer bands.  And most of all, don't give up, let people search in their own ways because if you start telling them what they should do, then they will tell you where to go, hopefully in a nice way.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 14:36
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I doubt the site will last another 7.5 years, let alone 75.

Anyhow, it is the way it is. If you go to Progressive Ears, it is exactly the same. The Yes threads can be interminable, although there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on that site, and I contribute occasionally.

The 70's was the start of it all, and many of us are of an age where we have very fond memories. These bands were the founders of the genre, so it is natural they get more attention. This is precisely the reason, btw, that Prog magazine always carries the "stars" on its covers. A Yes cover will sell a damn site more than, say, some obscure modern prog band nobody barring the band members mums and dogs will have heard of.

That said, I agree with you. Modern music will be the future of the genre, and there is a lot of good stuff out there, and we do discuss and review it, to be fair. If you want more of it, then simply open up threads so we can look, listen, and appreciate.

With regard to your point about people leaving, as ever human nature is more complicated than that. There are a variety of reasons why people leave, many of them quite personal.

Some people harass others and some people just don't see the point of constantly dealing with the trolls and downright bad behavior. I don't blame them for leaving. Fortunately this site seems to be in a pretty good place right now and I have noticed very few incidents where people on here need a time out.Wink

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 16:11
^ It is a trade-off:  things are less heated around here which is good, but it makes for less passionate and dramatic exchanges and that attracts fewer participants & onlookers.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 16:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ It is a trade-off:  things are less heated around here which is good, but it makes for less passionate and dramatic exchanges and that attracts fewer participants & onlookers.

I disagree(at least with part of your premise). I don't think you need to resort to baiting and insults to be passionate about the music. I see plenty of passion around here without the jr. high mentality.

Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 16:23
^ That's true, you do, but things were just a bit more interesting when people were having fistfights, shouting matches, blasphemous outbursts, shadowy backstage dealings, quiet coups, and threats of preemptive nuclear strikes.

I can go either way.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 16:55

^ That's true, you do, but things were just a bit more interesting when people were having fistfights, shouting matches, blasphemous outbursts, shadowy backstage dealings, quiet coups, and threats of preemptive nuclear strikes.

I can go either way.

Well, we have the news for that. LOL Not the prog news either unless it involves the members of Yes. Tongue

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 19:18
It used to be MUCH MUCH MORE FUN around here. Now it's rather tame..

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 20:48
As far as modern Prog goes, I am very open-minded and have found some things to be happy with. However, I discover new stuff at a snail’s pace. I don’t think that one fails as a Prog fan if one is not altogether current. A lot of new stuff I have gotten into is from old obscure artists who have been ignored throughout their careers and are still putting out interesting stuff. So, I might actually get to some newer artists once they’ve been ignored for sufficiently long too. I also still buy music, and I have limited money to do so given how much I spend on guitar pedals. I do enjoy reading discussions of newer bands if they’re descriptive enough to pique my curiosity.

I don’t think there’s any one reason for leaving the website, if leaving is even possible. I was just on a hiatus of sorts partly because life (grading papers, then traveling) got distracting and partly because I got a new phone, I didn’t know my PA password and I hadn’t gotten around to resetting it, because my email wasn’t set up after I reset my Apple password and forgot what it was. I’ve been around long enough to see some members return and newcomers join, but the losses in the ranks have been huge. Where the hell is Dean, anyway?

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 20:55
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

This is a comment that has been made before.  There are a lot of people that make this claim and complain about it, but there are very few that really do anything about it.  If you want to spread the good word about newer bands, that's fine, let's do it already.  I do it through reviews.  As far as the forum, however, your best response is going to come from bands that people already know, the ones they are the most familiar with.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that forums about newer music get ignored completely.  Many readers think, I must check that out, and then they forget about it, unless someone reminds them that they were going to check it out by giving more exposure to the band or album through reminders.  But the more you push it, the more people will remember.  I find the best results from getting people to listen come from the reviews, especially when the reviews are consistently good.  If you want to spread the word, write more reviews.  There are plenty of new releases in 2019 that still haven't been reviewed and I bet some of them are  excellent.  I keep finding them all the time. 

I have seen that you have tried to start discussions about newer bands before, and that's great.  But give us more to go on by doing reviews too.  Find some way to get the interest going and I bet you'll start getting responses.  But it won't help by pointing out an issue that has been pointed out before.  People have a somewhat common reference when it comes progressive rock and it usually seems to be with the older bands, use that to your advantage to present newer bands.  And most of all, don't give up, let people search in their own ways because if you start telling them what they should do, then they will tell you where to go, hopefully in a nice way.
  I think I may have enough posts to do reviews now (need to check on that, I think there's a minimum number of posts and then you can) and am considering reviewing Offa Rex, who I promoted to this site and they were added.  And will likely do once some things in my life are settled.  I do think that much of prog is less affected by time, much like classical music.  So no, I do not think there is no future for it.  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 20:59
if there is still prog being made, this website will still be around and active, there's plenty of new fans including myself 

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 21:05
the PA site will still be here in 7.5 years and longer i think.

i still keep coming back to read reviews and check out new stuff.  first time i have posted here in several years though. 

still enjoy the year end top 100 list.  have discovered several bands on those pages.

good stuff still showing up here.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 22:33
We should be honest here. The future of PA has nothing to do with the future of progressive rock. 

It has to do with the website collapsing from its antiquated design and other neglect from he who shall not be named.

This topic is really a non sequitur. Do you complain about classical music for always referring to Mozart, Bach and Beethoven when there were literally hundreds if not thousands of other artists?

Same with jazz with Coltrane, Miles and Mingus always appearing in the conversation even though jazz has been around over a hundred years now and has spawned encyclopedias worth of artists.

Musical genres need mascots just like Disneyland and prog's happen to be the bigwigs like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and all those ancient bands that somehow still sound brilliant enough to continue to win over new generations. 

If  you pay attention to the forums, i've seen plenty of threads about Wobbler, All Traps On Earth, Porcupine Tree and just about any other artist that has caught on in the prog world.

So watcha talkin' bout?!!!! Wacko

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 22:54
^ he's a Grumpy prog fan, what do you expect?  ;)

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 29 2019 at 23:37
The thing is though is that many revered prog bands (Gentle Giant , VDGG , PFM are the obvious ones) were never that successful in the first place. Prog was so dominated (commercially) by about 6 bands in the seventies it's ridiculous ( and I don't even need to name them)

So there are 2 tiers of discussion anyway and I doubt anyone left because there is too much chat about GG or VDGG. On the other hand we did have the 'ELP wars' when the site first got up and running. There were (supposedly) too many ELP threads that it got really nasty at times. There seemed to be deep resentment that this band was getting so much chat. I think the result was that many ELP fans  ended up leaving although a few like me hung on! If you wonder why their albums are seemingly underrated on this site then that is probably one reason.

In more recent times it seems to be more balanced in general and I see a lot of discussion. For me there is a lot of good stuff out there whether you want retro or something a bit newer. I wish I could spend time reviewing like I used to but I like to come here (on the forum) as it stops me thinking about work for 2 minutes and I feel I don't have to be deadly serious. Generally people are polite so that's nice!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:07
It’s hard to predict the future, but if PA lasts another 75 years, I certainly won’t, that would make me 139 years old, so I won’t be there to see it.

Posted By: TenYearsAfter
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:13
When I returned to PA after 10 years (due to the demand of an increasing amount of Dutch bands and artists to support their prog) I was shocked about the situation: so many good reviewers that had left, or stopped to write reviews, less attention for genuine prog (like so many overlooked new interesting bands from Latin-America, Spain and Japan), and a lot of cynism on the Forum. Nonetheless, there are stil some good and prolific reviewers. Important: the owner knows that the frustrated reviewers will leave, but there are always new reviewers that will replace them. Because writing reviews and seeing these published is a kind of ego-gratification thing, more or less part of the personality of every reviewer. And this is what the owner benefits from, however, in my opinion PA is going downhill every year, but it will survive, like the appreciation for the progrock dinosaurs. But it will never be like between 2004 and 2006, when reviewers could add bands and albums in freedom, based upon their motivation and knowledge of genuine prog, without the obstruction of those who consider themselves more important than serving the visiting progheads on PA. I consider this as the main problem on PA, so frustrating that reviewers call it a day. Or stop being active, like me, as a current prolific reviewer (400+ reviews) and updater of bios, I have done my best, I have been nice, but I am fed up with the uninspiring, unwelcoming, lacklustre and apathic situation here on PA. Yours truly, TenYearsAfter, aka Erik Neuteboom.

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:37
My own opinion. When you start introducing or allowing threads  and comment on things like American Politics and Religion some people will alienate others as viewpoints differ drastically. This site is about the music - keep it there.  I don't come here to see what others may or may not think about Donald Trump or about Boris in the UK - I come here to explore the music that I love. 

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:38
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

When I returned to PA after 10 years (due to the demand of an increasing amount of Dutch bands and artists to support their prog) I was shocked about the situation: so many good reviewers that had left, or stopped to write reviews, less attention for genuine prog (like so many interesting bands from Latin-America, Spain and Japan), and a lot of cynism on the Forum. It all comes to me as a pretty lacklustre atmosphere. Nonetheless, there are stil some good and prolific reviewers. The owner knows that the frustrated reviewers will leave, but there are always new reviewers that will replace them. Because writing reviews and seeing these published is a kind of ego-gratification thing, more or less part of the personality of every reviewer. And this is what the owner benefits from, however, in my opinion PA is going downhill every year, but they will survive, like the appreciation for the progrock dinosaurs. But it will never be like between 2004 and 2006, when reviewers could add bands and albums in freedoom, based upon their motivation and knowledge of genuine prog, without the obstruction of those who consider them more important than serving the visiting progheads on PA. I consider this as the main problem on PA, so frustrating that reviewers quit. Or stop being active, like me, as a prolific reviewer and updater of bios (as TenYears After, aka Erik Neuteboom).

Hi Erik (I see you're in Aruba, now and I'm still in my Nood-Holland dunes),

I had no idea you'd returned... some two years ago, in terms of historical members, the place was still doing ok (but no more), but mailto:M@X" rel="nofollow - M@X had the terrible idea of installing that Captcha (I'm  sure you've  encountered it), which angered everyone, and quite a few did leave totally disgusted by inactions from him.

He finally gave in (roughly 9 months ago), but it was too darn late.

well for the perenity of the site, I'm not sure its
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

My own opinion. When you start introducing or allowing threads  and comment on things like American Politics and Religion some people will alienate others as viewpoints differ drastically. This site is about the music - keep it there.  I don't come here to see what others may or may not think about Donald Trump or about Boris in the UK - I come here to explore the music that I love. 

Disagree quite a bit... the forum's strength was its liberty of tone and it was part of its success...
Part of its slide was that there was a lid gradually put on top of it
Some memorable non-music threads and huge fights were (mostly) fun but sometimes painful

We've also survived many trolls and even good members going trolls.
Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:43
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

It used to be MUCH MUCH MORE FUN around here. Now it's rather tame..
The fun got permabanned.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:48
I think PA will still be here in 2026. This site is an excellent resource. I don't see the main site or even the forums really going anywhere. There's too much magic here; someone would do best to archive said magic just in case.

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

As long as bands from the classic era continue to attract new, younger fans, there is going to be demand for a site like PA.

This.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Also, this.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I disagree(at least with part of your premise). I don't think you need to resort to baiting and insults to be passionate about the music. I see plenty of passion around here without the jr. high mentality.

One thing I've noticed, after being a member of dozens and dozens of "niche" forums over the years (music and otherwise), is that there's always going to be what I like the call the "haughty, derisive" crowd. The small group of elitists that think their standards for artistic integrity represent some objective measurement everyone else must bow down to...lest they be considered a non-genuine fan!

SMN metal forums was by far the worst in terms of that type of Jr. High BS.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:15
As someone who's equally invested in Rate Your Music, i have to say that there are many bands that are on PA that are not on that site so as long as this site remains a relevant resource, it's going to stick around. Yeah, it may ebb and flow and not be the same as when it started but why should it be so? 

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:31

^ he's a Grumpy prog fan, what do you expect?  ;)

Yep, and I have to uphold that reputation.

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 10:06

<snip>
I have also read threads that mention a lot of members left the website. Why? Did they <snip>

I’m pretty sure this is said on every forum on every topic: a bunch of the old-timers are gone because this or that forum sucks. It seems more likely that the number of missing old-timers is smaller than we think and that there are regular patterns of people, even longstanding members, joining and quitting most forums. Since they aren’t here to discuss why they left, we can only speculate.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

[QUOTE=Grumpyprogfan] <snip>
 It seems more likely that the number of missing old-timers is smaller than we think and that there are regular patterns of people, even longstanding members, joining and quitting most forums. Since they aren’t here to discuss why they left, we can only speculate.

but there are some of us left...

no . smaller.... not likely at all..  this site lost not a few but a great many old timers.  And I can point to exactly where the brain drain started...

M@X.. and f**king Torman Maxt...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 11:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The thing is though is that many revered prog bands (Gentle Giant , VDGG , PFM are the obvious ones) were never that successful in the first place. Prog was so dominated (commercially) by about 6 bands in the seventies it's ridiculous ( and I don't even need to name them)

So there are 2 tiers of discussion anyway and I doubt anyone left because there is too much chat about GG or VDGG. On the other hand we did have the 'ELP wars' when the site first got up and running. There were (supposedly) too many ELP threads that it got really nasty at times. There seemed to be deep resentment that this band was getting so much chat. I think the result was that many ELP fans  ended up leaving although a few like me hung on! If you wonder why their albums are seemingly underrated on this site then that is probably one reason.

In more recent times it seems to be more balanced in general and I see a lot of discussion. For me there is a lot of good stuff out there whether you want retro or something a bit newer. I wish I could spend time reviewing like I used to but I like to come here (on the forum) as it stops me thinking about work for 2 minutes and I feel I don't have to be deadly serious. Generally people are polite so that's nice!

There used to be a decent sized contingent of metalheads, though.  They've gone.  Like simply disappeared.  Maybe got tired of the DT ribbing (guilty as charged on my part) which they all seemed to be fond of.  But Mike's gone and then there was Hugues, also not seen in a long, long time.  Same with Pessimist/Liquid Eternity, many others.  

Cert1fied was an interesting poster and contributor and also doesn't participate here anymore.

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 11:12
anyhow.. thanks for the heads up David.. yeah sort of right up my alley isn't it.

Anyhow... I agree with the earlier comment..  this likely has less than 7.5 years left in it than 75.  And it isn't just any failure of the site, though it won't have helped it as the vibrantcy and passion that drove this site, and for the music itself has for the most part died off in the last decade or so. The site exists through a sort of inertia but how much longer will it...

the great prog revival gave birth to it and other prog sites... yet that revival ended in 2011. The day Nearfest cancelled.. and the great split between old farts and their nostalgia for the retro scene smashed right into the wall of the newer scene of progressive artists and fans.  Let me repost one of teh greatest posts ever made on the internet regarding this music, the scene around it.

Jacob said: 
I'm just going to chime in on the original post, dunno what's been discussed over all these pages. 
I whole-heartedly applaud every prog festival organizer who has ever walked the earth for their amazing contribution to the entire prog revival. Without people like Rob and Chad and Greg and Steve and George and the rest, a lot of us in prog bands would simply be nowhere. Progfest and NEARfest in particular have been essential to the growth of Scandinavian prog in the 90's and noughties. 

It just seems that the time has come now for prog to find a new way. The festivals have become, as was mentioned, nostalgia get-togethers. They have been artificial life-lines for stagnant acts, rather than fertile grounds for new, exciting acts. And those organizers who have tried to feature some new blood have been punished by a rather backwards-looking audience. As with NEARfest this year. I don't think blaming either the audience, the organizers or the bands has any virtue. What I think, is that the prog umbrella for too long has tried to shelter two very different things under its shade: On the one hand, the nostalgia scene, which features both the old acts that are still around, like Yes and whatever Italian band you care to mention, and "old-new" bands like Flower Kings and Transatlantic - bands that, though newish, cater mostly to very conservative audiences. On the other hand, the new progressive scene, which could include anything from The Mars Volta to Gösta Berlings Saga, and which really isn't a scene at all, especially considering that many of the bands themselves have no awareness of being part of a "prog scene". These two strands really are extremely different. There's plenty of people with a love for both (including, to a certain extent, myself). But to throw the typical fans of both scenes (the former, ageing, follicle-challenged geezers - bless'em all!, the latter young, dynamic listeners brought up to endless eclecticism and irreverence to genres - bless them too!), might just be too much of a stretch. Maybe it's time for a divorce. Let the geezers have their nostalgia-fests, and let the "new prog" bands get out on the regular rock circuit and compete with any other rock genres out there rather than put them in the geriatric ward of "prog" where the smell of old age will make them unpalatable to both the rock media and the major labels. No disrespect to either!!! :-) 

And as an a propos: Prog labels that sign new, fresh and exciting bands should be careful how they market and present the bands. Selling them in the traditional way ("washes of mellotrons, recall Eloy in their heyday, rave reception at Bolivia Art Rock Fest (BARF)") will, quite simply, sell them short. It's a new world out there

Indeed it is a new world out there, and many don't see it still being stuck into their favorite old bands or worse.. the whole retro prog scene that is as progressive as my left toe. See what any 'old timer' has seen has not as much been a decline in the forum per se.. the members we have here in large part are no worse than what we had here in the past.. they are just different and thus the forum has reflected it.  Once the blood and semen ran down the streets in this forum.. now...  it is just so polite.  It has changed as has the bigger picture regarding the scene and this sites' place in it. As Jacob noted and foresaw in fact.  it is the falling off of the cliff  by the artists themselves.. and in very large part also the fans of those groups..

There was once a time we were literally besieged by artists wanting their bands to be added... for the exposure the site once offered. Now today..  pretty much crickets chirping.  Those artists largely don't indentity with the prog scene.. or more accurately.. what it has become. A refuge of retro nostalgia prog.. but largely apathetic to new bands trying new sounds and styles.  So the apathy has likely been returned and then some.  They and their fans largely get on great without the site.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: TenYearsAfter
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 12:02
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

When I returned to PA after 10 years (due to the demand of an increasing amount of Dutch bands and artists to support their prog) I was shocked about the situation: so many good reviewers that had left, or stopped to write reviews, less attention for genuine prog (like so many interesting bands from Latin-America, Spain and Japan), and a lot of cynism on the Forum. It all comes to me as a pretty lacklustre atmosphere. Nonetheless, there are stil some good and prolific reviewers. The owner knows that the frustrated reviewers will leave, but there are always new reviewers that will replace them. Because writing reviews and seeing these published is a kind of ego-gratification thing, more or less part of the personality of every reviewer. And this is what the owner benefits from, however, in my opinion PA is going downhill every year, but they will survive, like the appreciation for the progrock dinosaurs. But it will never be like between 2004 and 2006, when reviewers could add bands and albums in freedoom, based upon their motivation and knowledge of genuine prog, without the obstruction of those who consider them more important than serving the visiting progheads on PA. I consider this as the main problem on PA, so frustrating that reviewers quit. Or stop being active, like me, as a prolific reviewer and updater of bios (as TenYears After, aka Erik Neuteboom).

Hi Erik (I see you're in Aruba, now and I'm still in my Nood-Holland dunes),

I had no idea you'd returned... some two years ago, in terms of historical members, the place was still doing ok (but no more), but mailto:M@X" rel="nofollow - M@X had the terrible idea of installing that Captcha (I'm  sure you've  encountered it), which angered everyone, and quite a few did leave totally disgusted by inactions from him.

He finally gave in (roughly 9 months ago), but it was too darn late.

well for the perenity of the site, I'm not sure its sustainability will be assured for another 15 years if some renovations (not just cosmetics) are not undertaken in the database, but whether that is achievable is a mystery. Whether the site should change hands for a new life is also dubious and a very much a gamble

We've also survived many trolls and even good members going trolls.

Nice to hear from you Sean (I think many don't know I am back), I remember very well that great Prog Archives meeting in The Hague (2006?), with PA members from the UK, France, Belgium (including you) and of course The Netherlands (including me), we ended with the entire group of 10 in a very cosy beer restaurant, but you were glad they served whisky too, haha!

That Captcha kept me from publishing a lot of reviews, so many strange signs that I decided to delete the publishing of my reviews.

And M@X …. well, he acts like the average arrogant millionaire, considering people as objects, he has no idea of empathy or how to talk in a social way, poor man, I am sure he is not really happy, very empty inside. And now I am gonna take my siësta (mid-afternoon on Aruba), I live in the morning and evening, bey.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 12:40
^ Man, these are very harsh comments. I never met or talked to the guy so I won't go there...all I can say is that he doesn't seem to like music a great deal.

The future of PA?

The database will stay but the forum will probably closes it's doors eventually.

-------------

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:00
I predict we'll still be having these discussions hereabouts in a decade or more. The 2020s will bring us another crowd of new bands, new fans, and new sounds. Some will be the greatest music made in our lifetime.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:05
The site where I spend most of my online time these days (a trivia site, and a great one at that) has been around since 2000, and still going strong. For being a forum, PA is doing quite well, in spite of everything. ProgEars lost a lot of regular participants when they changed servers a few years ago, and from what I can see does not get more traffic than PA. Other forums I know (not necessarily music-based) are all but dead. I don't see PA going away any time soon, but on the Web anything can happen.

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:13
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ Man, these are very harsh comments. I never met or talked to the guy so I won't go there...all I can say is that he doesn't seem to like music a great deal.

The future of PA?

The database will stay but the forum will probably closes it's doors eventually.

well...  to be blunt my good friend.  You haven't spent years involved with him so yeah.. I can honestly and with some degree of reason call him out for the motherf**king pond scum he is.

and he is why this site has such a short life span. forget the nice plattidues.. the peace and love and good dope of the music sustaining the site.  This is and was always a money making venture for him. The piece of sh*t treated the man who started this forum and created it like a dirty sock...  drove off a good many with his Torman Maxt stunt... and the list goes on.. and hey I'm being nice. He did give me my greatest forum victory over Ivan.. but that can only take one so far before one has to call a spade a spade.  

There will likely be a day.. and sooner than later that he tires of this. He doesn't care about the music.. only the money he can get from the site and it will die.  Far from accepting offers like mine of case of buttwiper and my seriously hot but completely batsh*t crazy ex wifes phone number as compensation for all the work WE put into this site.. he'll likely be like that cat we saw some time ago and want thousands for the site.

and who the f**k is going to pay that...  thus the site will die...

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:43
^ Frankly I'm amazed he hasn't sold it yet.   I guess he missed his chance when the site had a higher revenue and value.

-------------

Posted By: mickcoxinha
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:57
M@x is a smart man. He used people's passion to run the site for him for free. In the end, it caused many people to get angry and leave (not because they realized how smart M@x is, but because they didn't get the power and recognization their egos demanded), but now, regardless of the state of the site, it is one of the most trustworthy and complete sources for prog music, so it will stay relevant for a long time.

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:58
Re David: He has tried to sell it in the past, but the asking price was very very high and there were no takers.

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:04
"People come and people go," is the common attitude shown by the site/forum owners. It seems to be working to keep things going. The alternatives can be risky, or even utopic. I've never seen a popular platform that has kept all its contributors/staff. For personal reasons as well as out of a change of heart, lifestyle or priorities; some people always go. I admit that this forum used to be in its prime in the previous decade; yet what wasn't before the social media thing? Most people preferred to create their own sphere, follow, see, read and interact with the persons they choose and kept their hands off the heterogenous forums and such. The nominal "social circle" allured great masses of internet users, so the forum culture has been trying to endure, ever since.

Of course I'm not among the staff, so I cannot make profound criticisms and present deep insights about the situation of PA. Frankly, I don't see a very special case here. Even, this forum has been going better than the -rather recent- progressive music productions, from my perspective and regarding my interests.

A slight revision, though risky, might work. I don't think here needs a complete overhaul and alteration. Perhaps I'm being selfish, as this is the only music forum that still interests me. Cool

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:14

...word

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

"People come and people go," is the common attitude shown by the site/forum owners. It seems to be working to keep things going. The alternatives can be risky, or even utopic. I've never seen a popular platform that has kept all its contributors/staff. For personal reasons as well as out of a change of heart, lifestyle or priorities; some people always go. I admit that this forum used to be in its prime in the previous decade; yet what wasn't before the social media thing? Most people preferred to create their own sphere, follow, see, read and interact with the persons they choose and kept their hands off the heterogenous forums and such. The nominal "social circle" allured great masses of internet users, so the forum culture has been trying to endure, ever since.

Of course I'm not among the staff, so I cannot make profound criticisms and present deep insights about the situation of PA. Frankly, I don't see a very special case here. Even, this forum has been going better than the -rather recent- progressive music productions, from my perspective and regarding my interests.

A slight revision, though risky, might work. I don't think here needs a complete overhaul and alteration. Perhaps I'm being selfish, as this is the only music forum that still interests me. Cool

Yes, people come and go. It happened long before the internet. People come and go out of our personal lives. Places where people get paid to be there actually have people leave. Who knew?

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The future of PA?

well...  to be blunt my good friend.  You haven't spent years involved with him so yeah.. I can honestly and with some degree of reason call him out for the motherf**king pond scum he is.

and he is why this site has such a short life span. forget the nice plattidues.. the peace and love and good dope of the music sustaining the site.  This is and was always a money making venture for him. The piece of sh*t treated the man who started this forum and created it like a dirty sock...  drove off a good many with his Torman Maxt stunt... and the list goes on.. and hey I'm being nice. He did give me my greatest forum victory over Ivan.. but that can only take one so far before one has to call a spade a spade.  

There will likely be a day.. and sooner than later that he tires of this. He doesn't care about the music.. only the money he can get from the site and it will die.  Far from accepting offers like mine of case of buttwiper and my seriously hot but completely batsh*t crazy ex wifes phone number as compensation for all the work WE put into this site.. he'll likely be like that cat we saw some time ago and want thousands for the site.

and who the f**k is going to pay that...  thus the site will die...

I hear your arguments and I certainly don't defend him but it still doesn't sound right to me. There must be more than 'only in it for the money' and 'no compensation for the hard work' for this strong resentment?

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:20

I can go either way.

These were cra-cra times...it was awesome!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:22
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think PA will still be here in 2026. This site is an excellent resource. I don't see the main site or even the forums really going anywhere. There's too much magic here; someone would do best to archive said magic just in case.

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

This.

Also, this.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

One thing I've noticed, after being a member of dozens and dozens of "niche" forums over the years (music and otherwise), is that there's always going to be what I like the call the "haughty, derisive" crowd. The small group of elitists that think their standards for artistic integrity represent some objective measurement everyone else must bow down to...lest they be considered a non-genuine fan!

SMN metal forums was by far the worst in terms of that type of Jr. High BS.

As for your last comment I don't disagree. I think progressive ears is one of the worst offenders in that category. If anyone wants to see what elite prog snobism is about go there. That's not just my opinion either. Other's have noticed that as well. Another one is gnosis but they aren't a forum but instead just a bunch of raters with ratings and some reviews.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:33
OK, After reading the lats few posts on page two I feel like i need a history lesson on this place. 

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:51
^If you've seen Star Wars and any Mexican soap-opera, just imagine a mash up of the two and you are there. Keeping in mind I only know the 2004-7 era second hand.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:54
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

OK, After reading the lats few posts on page two I feel like i need a history lesson on this place. 

*spits some sort of interesting 7-11 Hibiscus green tea concoction all over monitor*

just wait for the movie.. and the soundtrack LOL

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120041" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120041

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:05
Originally posted by mickcoxinha mickcoxinha wrote:

M@x is a smart man. He used people's passion to run the site for him for free. In the end, it caused many people to get angry and leave (not because they realized how smart M@x is, but because they didn't get the power and recognization their egos demanded), but now, regardless of the state of the site, it is one of the most trustworthy and complete sources for prog music, so it will stay relevant for a long time.

hmmm... interesting. I don't who the f**k you are. Sound like you think you were there. However many of those that left.. were my friends.. one in particular was then and is today one of my closest friends and damn nicest people you could ever know. Yes he left because of Torman Maxt.. and it wasn't because of that bullsh*t you are spreading there man.

He left.. others left.. not out of ego. Oh yes.. there were some serious ego's involved but M@X never stepped on those. He was very hands off of our work... where the problem began.. and ended for a good number of our 1st generation collabs.. were having some a****le profit off of our work. We did it for nothing other than our love of the music and enjoyment of mass murder and senseless violence on a forum scale.

when he compromised the integrity of the site and in the manner he did with Torman Maxt he lost a good many here.. and those that stayed.. did knowing what the score really was regarding him and his f**king puppets and yes men on the admin team... and they continued on anyway for even though we did what did for the site with no expectations of anything but .. well.. respect which we sure as not only earned but largely received

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:07

Yes, people come and go. It happened long before the internet. People come and go out of our personal lives. Places where people get paid to be there actually have people leave. Who knew?

I wanted to emphasize my neutrality about the case in PA. (I also have no other choice as I wasn't involved as a staff member, contributor or even observer; except for some disjunctive events that I witnessed.)

I also was a reviewer in a popular music platform in my country, and left for personal reasons. I even bashed harder than this after I left. So I don't mean that your attitude is groundless, unjust and all. I just am not informed enough to have a personal conviction. Geek

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

There is a small blurb in the "about" section. 

Other than that my recollection is that prog archives started out as a sister site to prog toes and prog lands. There was also a site called prog frogs but I'm not sure if that was related.

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:29

I wanted to emphasize my neutrality about the case in PA. (I also have no other choice as I wasn't involved as a staff member, contributor or even observer; except for some disjunctive events that I witnessed.)

I also was a reviewer in a popular music platform in my country, and left for personal reasons. I even bashed harder than this after I left. So I don't mean that your attitude is groundless, unjust and all. I just am not informed enough to have a personal conviction. Geek

I didn't think you were bashing anyone. I was merely pointing out that people being surprised by the transient nature of humanity (not necessarily you) in any context is a bit is more a reflection of their own denial of the human condition. Your point is accurate and addresses more specifically how that condition translates to digital sociology in a salient manner. Sorry if I was not clear or seemed terse.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:32
Hmm...I have been posting here for some  time now....I guess I must have missed all the drama Mick was talking about.

Ermm

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:42

I didn't think you were bashing anyone. I was merely pointing out that people being surprised by the transient nature of humanity (not necessarily you) in any context is a bit is more a reflection of their own denial of the human condition. Your point is accurate and addresses more specifically how that condition translates to digital sociology in a salient manner. Sorry if I was not clear or seemed terse.

I meant I bashed the site where I used to be a reviewer (it's abbreviation is also PALOL). So some reactions I see here are perfectly understandable for me. By saying "I don't see a special case here,", I intended to say that this is the site owners' normative attitude, at least as far as my observation goes. 

And thank for the reply. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:47
yeah.. it was rather Trumpian come to think of it...

It was 2008 .. M@X wasn't getting enough cash from the Big Mick clicking on his goddamn SPANX ads and breast reduction ads we used to have so came up with the great idea to sell monthly spotlights of artists...

problem was the one for taht month was some half talented christian prog metal band..  and the Kiddie in Chief thought it would be a good idea for the band to offer the album in mp3 for our great reviewers to review

well..  problem arose when one of our more talented album reviewers of the early days tore the album apart..

and the band said.. what the f**k M@X.. this isn't what we paid for.. so what does M@X do.. not tell them.. well next time make a better album and leave the cheesy chirstian sh*t at your church.... nope.. the damn fool started hiding reviews and negative opinions of the album.

censorship they cried hahaha  Russell left the site ASAP.. and in the collab zone there was quite a bitter disagreement on the wisdom of this beween a number of the collabs and M@X's spokesmen.. the admin team.  Those taht were doing this work.. and Doc.. it was real work we were doing.  Volunteers. A good number really felt their work was devalued and cheapened...  so they left.

and my god how the fur flew... 

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:57

It was 2008 .. M@X wasn't getting enough cash from the Big Mick clicking on his goddamn SPANX ads and breast reduction ads we used to have so came up with the great idea to sell monthly spotlights of artists...

problem was the one for taht month was some half talented christian prog metal band..  and the Kiddie in Chief thought it would be a good idea for the band to offer the album in mp3 for our great reviewers to review

well..  problem arose when one of our more talented album reviewers of the early days tore the album apart..

and the band said.. what the f**k M@X.. this isn't what we paid for.. so what does M@X do.. not tell them.. well next time make a better album and leave the cheesy chirstian sh*t at your church.... nope.. the damn fool started hiding reviews and negative opinions of the album.

censorship they cried hahaha  Russell left the site ASAP.. and in the collab zone there was quite a bitter disagreement on the wisdom of this beween a number of the collabs and M@X's spokesmen.. the admin team.  Those taht were doing this work.. and Doc.. it was real work we were doing.  Volunteers. A good number really felt their work was devalued and cheapened...  so they left.

God I remember that!!! I downloaded both albums, the first one was a nightmare of a recording quality and the 2nd was a bit more refined sound wise but content was ughhh!

They got ripped to shreds....as far as the private collab discussions I can only imagine the feces flying everywhere....hopefully somebody pressed REC in that discussion. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:06
hahaha..  oh yeah Jose.. it was a riot.. to be honest I thought it more funny than anything but again.. some that I really liked and respected had a real problem with that so I was like.. what the hell.. and jumped in with both fists swinging for the fun of it.

I'd be shocked if it was still around, the classic team loved to atomize threads, that because bloody and messy the admins were very good about zapping those threads into atomic dust.  

Needless to say it wasn't their best of moments...

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:48

^If you've seen Star Wars and any Mexican soap-opera, just imagine a mash up of the two and you are there. Keeping in mind I only know the 2004-7 era second hand.

LOL  That's about right

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 17:00
Verily, I foreseeth the veritable apocalypse of noble PA when Svetonio shalt return from the obvlion prepared for him; and he shalt breaketh his chains asunder and bringeth with him a dirgeful horde of Romanian polka videos which he shalt inundate the fora and drown the site with his villainous intent. Thus shalt come the end. So sayeth Fripp.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 19:33

lol, never knew this.  That explains much.

That said, even when I started frequenting the forum near end-2008 onwards, there was STILL a lot of activity in the forum (not to mention the website).  The issue isn't just people leaving, which happens everywhere, but of replacement.  As you said, whoever are the fans of the new bands (when I say new, I mean even bands who have been around for nearly ten years like Haken or Karnivool) don't seem to visit PA very much at all. And I don't think it's because some new website or database supplanted PA.  It's simply bands using social media to reach out to their fans instead.  They don't even bother having one of their acolytes post here about upcoming shows or albums etc the way it used to happen.  For eg, when The Ocean came over, I only learnt it from a musician friend and it wasn't posted by anyone on PA as far as I can tell. If I didn't have a couple or more friends either working as musicians or working in the music/entertainment industry, I wouldn't come to know of gigs.  I don't think this is a particularly effective way of reaching out but bands have decided they don't need what little extra mileage they may get from websites like this and see it as 'old economy'.  They prefer to saturate FB instead. And because of that, the fans too gather around FB or any other social media hangouts.  Back in 2008, not many bands had started using FB effectively and PA still held some value as a resource to find out about bands and their releases.  Not anymore. 

Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 20:55

Seems like i arrived on this scene too late to catch those episode of How The Prog Turns LOL

-------------

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 23:32
It is an excellent point and should be a wake up call. I've been visiting some other sites that are really pushing new music and in fact trying to get my own band's tunes out there. We are now getting on some playlists and drawing a pretty decent crowd on Radioairplay. To me, that's where the action is. I come back here and I get the sense that it is becoming a prog nostalgia site. If it is going to survive, and I sincerely hope it will, I think it needs to draw more from the younger generations. One of the most proggy guitarists I know put it this way: if it is progressive, shouldn't it also be focusing on the new directions that music is taking with an emphasis on what hasn't been done before (pioneering aspects). He ended up having to hop genres just to fulfill his honest definition of prog. Some folks here harp on and on about the Big 6 and act like Rush is some new band on the scene. But, the fact is that they are retired. Many bands inspired by Rush are already long gone. My point is that we probably need to emphasize more fresh faces on the scene if PA is going to live on. It needs an injection of adrenaline or something.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 30 2019 at 23:42
^ So basically we are just a load of boring old farts? fair enough I resemble that well enough
LOL

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 02:52

no . smaller.... not likely at all..  this site lost not a few but a great many old timers.  And I can point to exactly where the brain drain started...

Yup, for many, Maxt was the dropped that filled the bucket

Nice to hear from you Sean (I think many don't know I am back), I remember very well that great Prog Archives meeting in The Hague (2006?), with PA members from the UK, France, Belgium (including you) and of course The Netherlands (including me), we ended with the entire group of 10 in a very cosy beer restaurant, but you were glad they served whisky too, haha!

And M@X …. well, he acts like the average arrogant millionaire, considering people as objects, he has no idea of empathy or how to talk in a social way, poor man, I am sure he is not really happy, very empty inside. And now I am gonna take my siësta (mid-afternoon on Aruba), I live in the morning and evening, bey.

yup, I remember that prog meeting as if it was yesterday. Wink

Not sure mailto:M@x" rel="nofollow -

mailto:M@x" rel="nofollow - M@x was a metalhead before discovering VdGG, which made him love prog in general, but I'd guess he was more into progmetal more than other genres. Of course, a lot of us were not kind towards progmetal (including yours truly), so most likely that didn't please him.

I think that he also grew disillusioned with the way the members reacted , fought, ego'ed and everything and disagreed with his new ideas... In 95% of the sites, if you bad mouth the owner, you're out... and yet we stayed and he often gave in to our demands... until he finally bowed out (I mean, he probably said to himself at one point about us "'f**k them, let them run it!! ... as long as PA doesn't cost me money").

He's busy with other things nowadays (making money elsewhere - not sure PA was ever a goldmine, but it did pay for itself because of advert revenues) and to make sure he kept PA safe, he installed craptcha, not to f**k us up, but to protect the site... I wonder how much he hates us as a whole - maybe as much as most here hate him

We're all yelling at him, but if he and ProgLucky hadn't (re-)started PA, we'd still be diddling around with GEPR (recently defunct and taken off-line) or use other shaky sites like ProgGnosis. Sooooo we must still respect them two, because they (don't know if PL is still alive) , simply because the place still exist and we can still see our own labour of love.

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 03:34

Those were the good years (until 2009 or so) - which accounted for 80% of my post count... Hug lotsa good times, tooClownNukeYing YangPigHeart

And then came the constant fighting and bickering (I was in the thick of things tooDeadEmbarrassedLOL), but I became much rarer (partly because I was accused of being protected by mailto:M@x" rel="nofollow - , which was absolutely false, but I wasn't about to dispel thatLOL) after a while , but this was after my demotion and reinstallation one year later.

Are you sure of these out-of-scene details?? Confused 
Not doubting your words, but that's the first time I hear about this band's recrimination
I never even heard the album LOLEmbarrassed

I guess a lot of that crisis flew by my head un-noticed, but yeah, I tried to stop HT to go when he asked me if he could  legally retrieve his work (I told him yes for the reviews accessible from his own log in, but not for the stuff where you need to go in the DB from Admin/Collab section)

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 03:52

I think PA will still be here in 2026.

It won't be without technical upgrades. I can't remember when the forum software was last upgraded but there's also the underlying database and OS software that should be kept current. As we never heard anything from mailto:M@x" rel="nofollow - M@x during the great captcha crisis, I can't imagine he's working too hard on this.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 03:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Verily, I foreseeth the veritable apocalypse of noble PA when Svetonio shalt return from the obvlion prepared for him; and he shalt breaketh his chains asunder and bringeth with him a dirgeful horde of Romanian polka videos which he shalt inundate the fora and drown the site with his villainous intent. Thus shalt come the end. So sayeth Fripp.
LOL

and PA collapses under the weight of all his Censored YouTube videos.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 04:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I think PA will still be here in 2026.

It won't be without technical upgrades. I can't remember when the forum software was last upgraded but there's also the underlying database and OS software that should be kept current. As we never heard anything from mailto:M@x" rel="nofollow - M@x during the great captcha crisis, I can't imagine he's working too hard on this.

Well, that changes everything then LOL.

I was not aware of this information.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 04:40
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

It is an excellent point and should be a wake up call. I've been visiting some other sites that are really pushing new music and in fact trying to get my own band's tunes out there. We are now getting on some playlists and drawing a pretty decent crowd on Radioairplay. To me, that's where the action is. I come back here and I get the sense that it is becoming a prog nostalgia site. If it is going to survive, and I sincerely hope it will, I think it needs to draw more from the younger generations. One of the most proggy guitarists I know put it this way: if it is progressive, shouldn't it also be focusing on the new directions that music is taking with an emphasis on what hasn't been done before (pioneering aspects). He ended up having to hop genres just to fulfill his honest definition of prog. Some folks here harp on and on about the Big 6 and act like Rush is some new band on the scene. But, the fact is that they are retired. Many bands inspired by Rush are already long gone. My point is that we probably need to emphasize more fresh faces on the scene if PA is going to live on. It needs an injection of adrenaline or something.

Though I agree with you on most of what you wrote, I am afraid younger people would not flock to the site even if it became way more inclusive and "modern" than it is now - for the simple reasons that, as a whole, the younger generations are not particularly interested in forums. So, PA's days may be numbered, but I think we should make the most of whatever time we have left. This is one of the nicest places I know of on the Web, and - even if I don't post as much as I used to - this is why I keep visiting it after 14 years.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 05:16
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

<font face="Calibri" size="3">I am a newbie on this site and I have come to the conclusion
that most forum members like prog from 50 years ago more than current prog bands. Most discussions/threads are about Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, much more than newer bands. That’s ok… I guess.
<p style="margin: 0px 0px 10.66px;"><font face="Calibri" size="3"> 

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 10.66px;"><font face="Calibri" size="3">I have also read threads that mention a lot of members left the
website. Why? Did they tire of discussing the same bands from the 70’s or just
lose interest in prog? So, I will pose a question. If the PA website survives
for another 75 years will members still be discussing bands from the 70’s more
than anything? Will the PA top 100 prog albums change?

You get this far but leave out the elephant in the room.  Is there really going to be much deliberation and debate about MUSIC, esp non classical/jazz music, per se in another ten years?  Not the way things are going.  On the one hand, rents keep going up and live venues keep closing, making it harder and harder for bands to eke out any kind of living performing. On the other, if P2P was bad enough, now we have moved wholesale to streaming.  You'll need maybe 1 billion subscribers across the world to generate a total revenue of $12 billion annually at the abysmal rates these services charge.  And then, they will hand out the bulk to the genius wannabe Zuck who started it and his/her brilliant techies before handing over whatever remains to the musicians.  

With music getting so royally f**ked in terms of the economics, is it any wonder that discussion about new bands has dried up on this website?  It used not to be this way even six-seven years back.  Fewer and fewer albums get made, fewer still rise to the level where they can evoke the interest of any significant number of members here.  All very understandable and depressing. "One of the wonders of the world is going down, and no one cares enough."

Yes, that line from The Sound of Muzak sums it up.

Good points well made.

75 years from now, I actually dread to think where music will be, if anywhere at all. Progressive music in the sense that we understand it, will not be 'a thing' at all.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 05:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL

and PA collapses under the weight of all his Censored YouTube videos.

He's been popping up every couple of weeks on PE with different IDs, he quickly gets outed due to his compulsive behavior and banned again. Oh what fun.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 07:59

Yup, for many, Maxt was the dropped that filled the bucket

yup, I remember that prog meeting as if it was yesterday. Wink

Not sure [EMAIL=M@x" rel="nofollow]M@x[/EMAIL] is a millionaire, and I do think that he started (or restarted, since he bought it from Floridian dudes) as a labour of love and his goals were honourable for the first few years (despite my next paragraph), but it slowly got to his head, when he discovered that PA was worth quite a bit of money , because if was close to the top 50 most-visited music site.

Yeah, he's probably a shrewd web entrepreneur (website designer is his job), and didn't really respect authorship rights: before Torman Maxt, there was the samples crisis, simply copy-pasting from everywhere without citing the source or asking permission (though ProgLucky was a worse offender in that regard) where he put on offer the 45 minutes suite of Guapo's 5 Suns album.

mailto:M@x" rel="nofollow - M@x was a metalhead before discovering VdGG, which made him love prog in general, but I'd guess he was more into progmetal more than other genres. Of course, a lot of us were not kind towards progmetal (including yours truly), so most likely that didn't please him.

I think that he also grew disillusioned with the way the members reacted , fought, ego'ed and everything and disagreed with his new ideas... In 95% of the sites, if you bad mouth the owner, you're out... and yet we stayed and he often gave in to our demands... until he finally bowed out (I mean, he probably said to himself at one point about us "'f**k them, let them run it!! ... as long as PA doesn't cost me money").

He's busy with other things nowadays (making money elsewhere - not sure PA was ever a goldmine, but it did pay for itself because of advert revenues) and to make sure he kept PA safe, he installed craptcha, not to f**k us up, but to protect the site... I wonder how much he hates us as a whole - maybe as much as most here hate him

We're all yelling at him, but if he and ProgLucky hadn't (re-)started PA, we'd still be diddling around with GEPR (recently defunct and taken off-line) or use other shaky sites like ProgGnosis. Sooooo we must still respect them two, because they (don't know if PL is still alive) , simply because the place still exist and we can still see our own labour of love.

Merci pour ces éclaircissements, Hugues.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 08:26
My point isn't that we are old farts (I prefer seasoned BTW), but rather that we need to breathe fresh life back into PA or we risk becoming the curmudgeons in the Temple of Syrinx rather than the Obi Wans to new generations. I tried to promote my prog band's music in the new way. The old way was to go into a studio where some codger was behind a desk smoking a cigar saying "so ... you wanna be a star?" It's not like that now. Nowadays bands go to a place like Indie Shuffle and try to get on playlists. But, lo and behold, there are no playlists for prog. That's a big problem. We're an eclectic prog band and everything we write is different and doesn't fit in the pigeon holes on there. So, our harder rock tunes got picked up by a metal blogger (where they blog on Satanic symbols ... yikes) while our more poppy stuff got squeezed into a feel good blog. Every blogger has touted how they liked our classical guitar piece but could we please remove the synths so we can plug it to the Renaissance Fair crowd? It would have been great if we could have unloaded the entire shabang onto a PA sponsored indie music playlist on Spotify. Another thing. How do I know it's prog? Because when we play it on Radioairplay, we have to pick "most closely sounds like" and the prog people are the fans giving us thumbs up. If PA wants to do some good, stop writing the umpteenth review for Foxtrot, call up Jason at IndieShuffle, and start supporting new prog acts through a series of playlists. That way, we can safeguard the early prog acts and help promote new prog artists (and seasoned folks who are young at heart).

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

This is a comment that has been made before.  There are a lot of people that make this claim and complain about it, but there are very few that really do anything about it.  If you want to spread the good word about newer bands, that's fine, let's do it already.  I do it through reviews.  

PA is a closed brotherhood. They are not interested in people that have some idea of what went down and how it was that it has lasted this long, and why!

I seem to recall a comment that it actually is a group of folks intent on helping this and that ... but there are many folks that post, that I would GLADLY have on my living room and see if we can have them help define and clean up a lot of the poor quality level of information that some band bios have, for starters. In one case, it was about the band and how their 4 songs, sounded like GENESIS, and absolutely nothing about the band's time and place, and very valid and important socio/political life that had a lot of significance in Europe at the time, but is OUTRIGHT DISMISSED today, because it did not "sell" or became a "hit" ... like some of those governments were not trying hard to make sure the albums could not get into your hands ... it becomes an even more important DOCUMENT, just the type that many ignore here.

The best example of which is how ITCOTCK is not the greatest single photograph of the time and place in London, and how much of all the words in the "songs" have been totally ignored since that day ... like there were no Idi Amin's on the loose, not to mention IRA bombs hitting your friends and sometimes even families, and how words of wisdom in poetry were totally ignored as just another fart in the wind! Some of those "reviews" are down right scary ... and take the SOUL out of the music itself. And "soul" in the music is all that RF has looked for in his life ... that the music take on a depth and value that is beyond a few words and letters and just an instrument ... we still don't get it what "progressive" is all about, because we have to have a blue guitar and a bunch of keyboards ...

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 09:09
speaking for the prog folk team, if I may (sorry Hugues and Bob), we have been inclusive in recent years when it comes to adding bands that might not have a lineage to the prog folk giants from the golden era, as well as adding some giants that weren't primarily considered as prog folk, because of their influence from and on the movement.  Examples of the former are neo folk artists like CORDE OBLIQUE and HEXVESSEL, and the latter as ALAN STIVELL and BENITO LERTXUNDI.  But so many of the added bands have zero or few actual reviews, while even new reviewers insist on offering their take on a classic with 250 reviews already.  Long live prog folk!

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 09:35
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

speaking for the prog folk team, if I may (sorry Hugues and Bob), we have been inclusive in recent years when it comes to adding bands that might not have a lineage to the prog folk giants from the golden era, as well as adding some giants that weren't primarily considered as prog folk, because of their influence from and on the movement.  Examples of the former are neo folk artists like CORDE OBLIQUE and HEXVESSEL, and the latter as ALAN STIVELL and BENITO LERTXUNDI.  But so many of the added bands have zero or few actual reviews, while even new reviewers insist on offering their take on a classic with 250 reviews already.  Long live prog folk!

I could write reviews of any Alan Stivell albums ... except that no one has asked and PA is not keen of seeing what/which artists some people favor, otherwise you would ask immediately, I think ... so you can have more contributions.

My saddest moment in writing reviews was writing a real emotional and valuable review of ITCOTCK. only for it to be buried amidst 100 other comments that are not reviews, and should not be there ... they belong in a forum thread, not in an area called "review" ... and that is one of the large issues with me in terms of these things ... I do FOREIGN FILM REVIEWS (over 500 of them on my website), and a lot of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC reviews of concerts and albums ... however, when seeing what is considered a "review" of an album (as specified and allowed by the democracy of PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), has made me blaze and not wanting to do them anymore.

Example ... Ash Ra Tempel ... has a listing of stuff in there, including illegal recordings made in Patagonia and Pluto, and bootleg copies of their albums doubled up for someone in Antartica to make some money ... the "discography" is bad, and should be cleared and cleaned up to just the regular albums named, and the "singles" removed. I think I did one review, and close shop on that ... because my words and comments went nowhere and were thoroughly ignored ... I was looking at the artist ... not the 5 different releases of the same thing ... as if the music changed in those 5 releases ... and this is one of the large issues ... I have with it.

Alan Stivell will likely fall into the same pattern, although almost all the albums I have of his (25 or something) are all IMPORTS ... and I would not be interested in doing a best of that includes 5 or 6 of his albums or better known things ... like Pop Plinn without a loud guitar (yukkkk!!! the guitar is what made it!), or explaining how "AGAIN" was an album made for an American audience, only for it to be completely ignored ... and someone even commented that Alan could not sing ... it became ridiculous, specially considering how many musicians came out of his group of folks, and so many of them are very valuable to making the French Celtic come alive and stay alive, since on PA there is no Celtic anywhere else, except in Boston (where they pronounce it differently) and in Ireland!

My question is ... PA has to stand up and want to do it right ... and be proud of it ... even though I know my toilets have a history, I'm not sure that the history of all that merde is a valuable document in my history. Well, this is not Mosh's version of OUR LADY OF FLOWERS ... so I'll stop here!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 10:17
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

My point isn't that we are old farts (I prefer seasoned BTW), but rather that we need to breathe fresh life back into PA or we risk becoming the curmudgeons in the Temple of Syrinx rather than the Obi Wans to new generations. I tried to promote my prog band's music in the new way. The old way was to go into a studio where some codger was behind a desk smoking a cigar saying "so ... you wanna be a star?" It's not like that now. Nowadays bands go to a place like Indie Shuffle and try to get on playlists. But, lo and behold, there are no playlists for prog. That's a big problem. We're an eclectic prog band and everything we write is different and doesn't fit in the pigeon holes on there. So, our harder rock tunes got picked up by a metal blogger (where they blog on Satanic symbols ... yikes) while our more poppy stuff got squeezed into a feel good blog. Every blogger has touted how they liked our classical guitar piece but could we please remove the synths so we can plug it to the Renaissance Fair crowd? It would have been great if we could have unloaded the entire shabang onto a PA sponsored indie music playlist on Spotify. Another thing. How do I know it's prog? Because when we play it on Radioairplay, we have to pick "most closely sounds like" and the prog people are the fans giving us thumbs up. If PA wants to do some good, stop writing the umpteenth review for Foxtrot, call up Jason at IndieShuffle, and start supporting new prog acts through a series of playlists. That way, we can safeguard the early prog acts and help promote new prog artists (and seasoned folks who are young at heart).

Is your band listed on PA?

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 11:37
I'm not going to answer that out of respect for the PA approval process.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 13:52
This has been an interesting "history" lesson in that I arrived in January 2008 and missed (or remained ignorant of) all the "drama." 

The truth, in fact, has been that I stumbled upon PA as a database. Through it I have been able to "discover" for myself hundreds of old bands and albums that existed, unbeknownst to me, at the time that I thought I was a big art rock/prog head! Little did I know! I was a pea-brained, myopic ignoramous! I knew nothing! Now, thanks to PA and its connections, I know a little more. For this I am grateful. I have enjoyed my slow expansion and education. Plus, I am continually wowed and appreciative of the new "younger" generation(s) that decided to pick up the "prog" torch.

I knew nothing of how this site came into being, how it grew, morphed, adolesced, etc. I knew only of the data and the occasional interesting threads or polls, as well as of the occasional review or reviewer whose knowledge and opinions impressed and educated me. 

Though I am fatigued of music--especially all the music that seems to repeat or rehash that which has already been done (as impressive as some of them are)--I hope that PA can continue to exist . . . if only as a database. My greater preoccupation is not of whether or not the site will thrive or fail but whether or not the race of hominids who started it will survive the upcoming planetary chaos and mayhem. I mourn for the futile loss of all of the beauty and creativity our species has created. What was the point if only masturbatory?   

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 14:00
I often listen to contemporary music, especially the more arty corners of it, but very little of it can really be described as prog. It is a genre I mostly associate with the 70's whereas I often find it hard to really get into later prog bands. I haven't found a way into Dream Theatre for instance.

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 14:11
Moi n'en plus.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 14:28
Especially when it comes to kinds of music in PA (and related), I am definitely more into 60s through 80s music than later music. Plenty I love that is newer, but there is so much more that I know and love from earlier times, and a lot of that would be pretty obscure. And I am still discovering new-to-me music from decades past.

That said, I have been listening to Kosmischer Läufer a lot over the last months, and that's quite modern, or not -- it rather depends on what one means. It's retro Kosmische made to sound like it came from the 70s and 80s. Not in PA, but the album I've been most into recently is the soundtrack to the Louis Theroux documentary My Scientology Movie by the composer Dan Jones. A group I often play is Air which began in the late 90s, but that's not in PA.

I think one can expect the so-called "golden age" of Prog to be better represented. Personally, I'm not that into most of the music that is very popular here as I'm not that big on Symph. I'd rather discuss Art Zoyd, Igor Wakhevitch, Magma, Zanov, and Robert Wyatt than Genesis, Yes, Camel, Rush etc. And the metal and hard rock of much modern Prog doesn't tend to interest me much either.

People have left for a variety of reasons: personal problems, death and illness, Captcha, boredom, changing interests, people thinking that their time could be spent more wisely (family friends. work, bettering oneself...). Some people might have decided that real-time, in person discussion and socialisation is more fulfilling. And indeed social media has played a part in making forums such as these less vibrant. Generally speaking, I'd rather be discussing film, TV, podcasts and novels than music, and a lot of the music I'm into isn't represented in PA. I'm very big on a lot of soundtrack, library, jazzy and exotica music, as well as classical and most of that would not be found in our archives. I find as get older and stupider that I have less patience for writing and trying to have a discussion in a forum. It can be so much less effort just talking to people in person or on the phone and one gets more immediate gratification due to the immediacy of the feedback. I still enjoy writing, though, but it doesn't come as easily to me as it used to.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 14:36
There might be many reasons that describe the end of PA, possibly. But one thing to me is quite prominent is that the masses of music lovers out there consider "prog" or "progressive rock" to be old music by artists that are long gone.
On the live touring front there are no more, Rush was probably the last that could compete on the large arena stage billed as "An Evening With...." and not a festival.
Across the pond maybe Marillion still can command a large arena, here DT only fill medium sized venues and after that you have small halls like 500-2000 seat theaters. 
Seeing Haken and Riverside this year at a bar/stage maxes out at 550 people, seeing TPT at similar sized venue in December. I'm just glad I bands like this are coming around, especially from across the pond as I can only imagine how expensive that travel is, and then to play a 500-800 seat venue.

I don't ever see any prog band going on a yr long tour playing in 20,000 seat arenas anymore........

I certainly love the 70's prog, but I much prefer the prog/prog related/prog metal of the 2000's.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 14:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I could write reviews of any Alan Stivell albums ... except that no one has asked and PA is not keen of seeing what/which artists some people favor, otherwise you would ask immediately, I think ... so you can have more contributions.

My saddest moment in writing reviews was writing a real emotional and valuable review of ITCOTCK. only for it to be buried amidst 100 other comments that are not reviews, and should not be there ... they belong in a forum thread, not in an area called "review" ... and that is one of the large issues with me in terms of these things ... I do FOREIGN FILM REVIEWS (over 500 of them on my website), and a lot of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC reviews of concerts and albums ... however, when seeing what is considered a "review" of an album (as specified and allowed by the democracy of PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), has made me blaze and not wanting to do them anymore.

Example ... Ash Ra Tempel ... has a listing of stuff in there, including illegal recordings made in Patagonia and Pluto, and bootleg copies of their albums doubled up for someone in Antartica to make some money ... the "discography" is bad, and should be cleared and cleaned up to just the regular albums named, and the "singles" removed. I think I did one review, and close shop on that ... because my words and comments went nowhere and were thoroughly ignored ... I was looking at the artist ... not the 5 different releases of the same thing ... as if the music changed in those 5 releases ... and this is one of the large issues ... I have with it.

Alan Stivell will likely fall into the same pattern, although almost all the albums I have of his (25 or something) are all IMPORTS ... and I would not be interested in doing a best of that includes 5 or 6 of his albums or better known things ... like Pop Plinn without a loud guitar (yukkkk!!! the guitar is what made it!), or explaining how "AGAIN" was an album made for an American audience, only for it to be completely ignored ... and someone even commented that Alan could not sing ... it became ridiculous, specially considering how many musicians came out of his group of folks, and so many of them are very valuable to making the French Celtic come alive and stay alive, since on PA there is no Celtic anywhere else, except in Boston (where they pronounce it differently) and in Ireland!

My question is ... PA has to stand up and want to do it right ... and be proud of it ... even though I know my toilets have a history, I'm not sure that the history of all that merde is a valuable document in my history. Well, this is not Mosh's version of OUR LADY OF FLOWERS ... so I'll stop here!

please, Pedro, anything you could review in prog folk realm would be appreciated.  But I don't wnat to twist your arm.  Your review of ITCOCK was great, I remember it

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 14:50
I, for one, still like the site and will continue to use it every time I'm revisiting some glorious piece of music and wish to see what "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" prog reviewer said about it. We are lucky to have been blessed with some gifted writers over the years, and I will always love seeing what various peeps said about album X, as I revisit the album over drinks in the basement.

I have friends around the world, some whom have become close, due to this website. While other social media and websites have yielded useful ways to get info and access content, not many have introduced me to the characters of this place. 

PA may no longer be influential or business-relevent, but it will always be loved by different people for all manner of different things. It may disappear, sure. So will all of us. That is not a failure.

Cheers Max. Beer 

And RonyHeart.  People forget about you.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 15:24
I love the site too and don't get me wrong. The nostalgia is something that I do enjoy. But, there are folks out there who are working hard on their songs and deserve to be heard. If PA sponsored different playlists on Spotify for various genres of prog (early, heyday, new, and Indie), I think it could be something revitalizing. I'm by no means saying throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm saying it's worth saving for future generations, and that could be a step in the right direction based on my own experiences and frustrations. In this way, I believe PA could play a major role in ushering people back into the beautiful art form that is prog music.

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 15:25
LOL Svetonio is currently spamming the Steve Hoffman forum with youtube links.

Edit; I've forgotten how to reply, obviously. This was meant to be a in response to Dark Elf's post.

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 15:36
... and with no PA sponsored playlists it forces new proggers to change their music to sound like Taylor Swift.

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 15:50
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

LOL Svetonio is currently spamming the Steve Hoffman forum with youtube links.

Edit; I've forgotten how to reply, obviously. This was meant to be a in response to Dark Elf's post.

I think it's this quote button I never use.

Just got another playlist decline: "Hella good and talented, yo, but too chill for my channel."

Looks like I'm going to have to Dubstep this one up. You see the problem now? You have to admire my boneheaded persistence though.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 16:21
Probably not quite what you meant, but in 2015 a former admin had created a PA Top Albums of 2015 playlist.  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ltNuDCnRYPQO3Cn2AMmOe" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ltNuDCnRYPQO3Cn2AMmOe .  I believe that he did this in other years as well.  There were links on PA, but it wasn't really a PA sponsored playlist.

Actually, Andy has a number of prog playlists over the years including a 2019 playlist.  https://open.spotify.com/user/andy_w1" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/andy_w1

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 16:24
Bingo! Yes! If PA could develop that idea ... and especially extending to Indie artists developing their sound. What's needed specifically is PA sponsored through a site like IndieShuffle.

Another decline was: "I personally don't like flute sounds over guitar." Them's fightin' words!!

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 16:33

Merci pour ces éclaircissements, Hugues.

De rien mon cher!!Wink

I thought I'd bring a different chiming to micky's , but yeah, this has been a gigantic waste... and yet, the DB is still there.

I many ways, we (not just PF) were too laxist (read inclusive) about what was included (if it was up to me, I'd suppress more or less 100 entries... some of those mine, too)Embarrassed, but I suppose we all gave in to our personal agendas

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

This has been an interesting "history" lesson in that I arrived in January 2008 and missed (or remained ignorant of) all the "drama." 

The way I remember it, 2008 was the start of the major fights

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I, for one, still like the site and will continue to use it every time I'm revisiting some glorious piece of music and wish to see what "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" prog reviewer said about it. We are lucky to have been blessed with some gifted writers over the years, and I will always love seeing what various peeps said about album X, as I revisit the album over drinks in the basement.

I have friends around the world, some whom have become close, due to this website. While other social media and websites have yielded useful ways to get info and access content, not many have introduced me to the characters of this place. 

PA may no longer be influential or business-relevent, but it will always be loved by different people for all manner of different things. It may disappear, sure. So will all of us. That is not a failure.

Cheers Max. Beer 

And RonyHeart.  People forget about you.

HallelujaaaaahhhhClapHug

And I do hope it will still be around in 2030

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:02
I've caused enough trouble for one day. Gotta go remove some flute sounds from my song and add some Dubstep beats. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:10
I think founders, collaborators, prog reviewers need to open a discussion about 

1) the management, 

2) the goals and

3) the future of the site.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:18
let us save the country from chaos ... Big smile

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:18

I many ways, we (not just PF) were too laxist (read inclusive) about what was included (if it was up to me, I'd suppress more or less 100 entries... some of those mine, too)Embarrassed, but I suppose we all gave in to our personal agendas

some might be personal agenda and taste, but I would like to think that some is trying to push the needle a bit.  Not every new band needs to have direct lineage to the "original" prog of yesteryear.  What I try to think is whether it is in that spirit

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:22
... enjoy life ...

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:25
... calm down ...

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:29
... are we going ... or are we staying? ...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk