Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120715
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 04:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: And Then There Were Three vs Tormato
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: And Then There Were Three vs Tormato
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 10:39
Not sure if I have done this one before or not but here we go. Both are from 78 obviously and both are rather polarizing albums. Anyway, I thought this one would be interesting and I bet it will be really close.

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 11:27
Genesis by far

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 15:38
Genesis,easy.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 15:45
ATTWT has four or five good songs, Tormato hardly two.

-------------

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 16:04
ATTWT is a great album, every song Ian good. Fight me.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 16:39
Genesis by a whisker.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 16:42
Tormato for me. I like them both, but they don't make the top of my list. However, if I have to choose, I'll go with Yes, if just by a hair. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 18:08
yes

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 20:40
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

ATTWT has four or five good songs, Tormato hardly two.

This.

Date Posted: August 10 2019 at 20:53
Tormato:

On the silent wings of freedom
Arriving UFO
Don't kill the whale
Future Times/ Rejoice
Release Release
Onward

ATTWT:

Burning Rope
Follow you Follow Me
Down and Out
Deep in the Motherlode
The Lady Lies
Many too Many

More or less evenly matched(imo). I don't see how the Tormato tracks are inherently weaker than the ATTWT tracks. I left off silly tracks like circus of heaven or scenes from a night's dream on purpose.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 02:02
I like Scenes from a Nights Dream!

Anyway Genesis by a long way. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 02:03
I have the biggest YES bias going, and I still pick Genesis on this outing.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 02:03
and then

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 05:50
Yes are great. But Genesis this time. I think because for me Tormato has a certain solo album mentality whereas ATTWas Three is cohesive and consistent with a surprising and pleasing coda to the density.

It helps that I always like the Genesis album a little more whereas Tormato goes in the opposite direction. It doesn't help it's cause, with the album tracks set for the subsequent release that caused the big split to be included.

Posted By: Howard the Duck
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 07:52
Tormato for sure - solid tracks like "Silent Wings" - Three never grabbed me, probably my least favourite album pre-Invisible Touch.

-------------
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 08:18
they are about equal in my mind as they are my 2 fav bands and I enjoy both of them but just not as often as their other albums---and of course I find myself skipping songs--agree with Banks in a recent interview---he really missed Hackett on And then there were 3---he thought Steve could have really made something great with it. Very true.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 10:05
I've never been able to really get into ATTWT that much, so it's Tormato for me.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 14:23
Strangely enough, I tend to like ATTWT more that Tormato, probably one of the few times Genesis beats out Yes for me.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 14:41
I rate both about the same - each has good songs, each some ok songs. Both represent changes in the subjective bands' music. Ying Yang

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 14:53
Genesis' comfortably. It's not among their finest, but still a great album. Tormato is pretty mediocre. 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 19:05
Genesis- And Then There Were Three by a longshot

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 20:05
Genesis 

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 21:55
Neither are very good in my view. Both have their moments but neither are in the same league as their other albums. The Yes has good concepts that aren't developed in the same way as their other works, maybe because the album was rushed in the studio, while the Genesis is their first without Steve Hackett and the emphasis is on more pop orientated songs rather than on the more thematic linking songs of their previous works.

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: August 11 2019 at 22:10
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Neither are very good in my view. Both have their moments but neither are in the same league as their other albums. <snip>

+1. Well put.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 00:08
Both equallyWink

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 00:39
ATTWT by a mile. It's one of my favourite Genesis albums.

I've never enjoyed Tormato. After GFTO, it's a massive disappointment, plus Circus of Heaven is among the worst songs ever written.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 06:51
not sure why so many people love  'And Then There Were Three'.

I find both of these albums to be a major step down from the bands best.

Both albums have some good songs and are not terrible.... 

So I would vote.... both equally.... except for Yes is getting slammed in this poll
and I don't believe they deserve that .... so voted Yes

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 08:07
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

not sure why so many people love  'And Then There Were Three'.

I find both of these albums to be a major step down from the bands best.

Both albums have some good songs and are not terrible.... 

So I would vote.... both equally.... except for Yes is getting slammed in this poll
and I don't believe they deserve that .... so voted Yes

ATTWT is a polarising album, that's for sure.

I love it, partly for sentimental reasons, and I heard it some time before I got to hear better, earlier albums by the band, so it made a bigger impression on me.

However, I think Genesis made more of an effort with this album, than Yes did with Tormato. Having lost Hackett, they were trying to fill a hole in their sound, and I don't they fully understood how big that hole was until Rutherford tried to fill it. I'm sure they would never admit that (if it is true) I think Rutherford did an ok job, but for Genesis it was a breakthrough album. It may have paved the way for weaker offerings than before, but tracks like Down & Out, Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode and The Lady Lies were really strong songs, and displayed an ability, by the band to 'condense' their formula, without losing the Genesis feel and sound, or compromising on musicianship. It didn't work on every track of course.

Tormato sounded, to me, more like an album Yes had to put out for contractual reasons, and they hadn't put the effort into the songwriting. It has moments, but when you compare any track against any track (bar the title track perhaps) from GFTO, they don't really stand up IMO.

-------------

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 10:13
I'll be honest, I haven't given ATTWT a fair chance... But from the 2 or 3 times I've listened to it (one recently because of this thread), I can't say I can recall any of the songs; I just remember that it's vaguely Genesis-y sounding. So to me, that's not a very good impression.

However, I think that Tormato has a lot of great songs, even if it sounds very dated at times. Sounds exactly like a band called "Yes" should sound.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 11:31
I don't think that Tormato is actually as weak as an album as people think it is. "Future Times / Rejoice" is a pretty good song, and "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" is one of the stronger songs from their catalogue imo.

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 11:38
Went with Tormoto but I haven't listened to ATTWT for a very long time. Should probably check it out again. 

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:41
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

I don't think that Tormato is actually as weak as an album as people think it is. "Future Times / Rejoice" is a pretty good song, and "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" is one of the stronger songs from their catalogue imo.

^
This

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:39
Not often I'll take a Genesis album over acYes album. This is an exception.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 00:07
Although I much prefer ATTTW over Tormato ( and agree with Blackswords excellent comments in general) I do think the main issue with Tormato is that it just sounds so fractured. It gives a terrible impression that was really not a band that was 'together' at all. Some good ideas and playing certainly. Alan White gets a lot of 'bad press' mainly for not being Bruford but he plays his socks off on this album. Release Release and even the ridiculously cheesey Arrive UFO are saved by some superb Alan White drumming. He rides the snare really well on Future Times and gets that bass drum moving very pleasurably on On The Silent Wings Of Freedom. I do remember vaguel a review at the time that bemoaned Steve Howe's almost banishment to the fringes of the band or so it seems. he just noodles away most of the time in a world of his own. Definitely not Rick's finest moment and a massive come down from his superb work on GFTO. Squire is okay and solid as ever. Onward is a high point for him on this album. Overall I can only see it as a '3 stars' album but at least it is much better than ELP's Love Beach!!

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 03:05
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

This^

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 04:07
Two fairly different albums, as Genesis was starting its new life and Yes was ending its first one

On the whole I like both albums more or less the same (though both artworks are not goof, to say the least), but for different reasons, but they've got a common point: I hated both when I bought both at release time, but over time (the last 15/20 years) I've come to terms with both.

Awaken not counting, Tormato is IMHO better than it's predecessor GFTO (the rest of the album stinks, IMHO Century being only acceptable at best), but yeah, it's clearly the end of the cycle with Tormato, though most of the flipside is OK and I do like Whales.

ATTWT is a  fairly successful reboot (though I hated it at the time), but with Duke (though in a lesser extent), it's the best thing they'll do as a three-man band. 

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:49
I'm "Genesis man" usually, but this time my vote goes to Yes and their Tormato.

Not that ATTWT is bad album, but it's pretty mediocre - somebody here wrote the songs on ATTWT seems to him all the same (paraphrasing) and he took the words out of my mouth :-) . The songs there are ok, but after listening to the whole album, they mix into feeling that the record is good, yes, but... And IMO it's due to Hackett left the band. The whole album is based heavily on Banks keyboards and guitar is almost unexistent there. I like Rutherford bass playing but it's necessary to say that his guitar abilities (and I mean solo guitar) are very mediocre comparing Hackett (here I'm rather modest - I could say it much openly). From this record onward Genesis never touched anything before (with Hackett) if we talk about solo guitar (of course not only that). Without Gabriel it was a step down, but they proved they could do great music (ATotT or WaW is almost as good as anything they've done with PG), but ATTWT is first major let down (and after Duke it was steep way down to progrock hell).

Yes, Tormato isn's among the best Yes works but at least there are a couple of interesting songs one can think of - I like almost the whole first LP side and beautiful Onward and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom on second side. To be honest I enjoy it really (despite weak Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven).

-------------

Posted By: vidcom
Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 10:23
And Then There Were Three - no doubt!  I met the three the day after their show in San Diego back in 1978 and in response to what in retrospect was a bit of a dubious question on my part, they all took the company line and replied that their then current release was the finest of the bands career to date.  They were trying to sell records, at a record store after all so I can't blame them for the less than realistic reply.
I saw the
Tormoto tour by Yes that year as well, maybe it was 1979 "In The Round"; it was fairly bleak - a fitting reflection of that disastrous offering and year for Prog Rock fans, but of the two albums I still occasionally listen to And Then There Were Three.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 15:38
Neither. They both should have stopped after their previous albums.

Posted By: Howard the Duck
Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 15:43
clearly this proves once and for all "awaken" was jon's lyrical peak:

-------------
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 00:50
Originally posted by vidcom vidcom wrote:

<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4">And Then There Were Three - no doubt!  I met the three the day after their show in <span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;">San Diego back in 1978 and in response to what in retrospect was a bit of a dubious question on my part, they all took the company line and replied that their then current release</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;"> </span><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4">was the finest of the bands career to date.  They were trying to sell records, at a record store after all so I can't blame them for the less than realistic reply.
I saw the <b style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;">Tormoto<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"> tour by Yes that year as well, maybe it was 1979 "In The Round"; it was fairly bleak - a fitting reflection of that disastrous offering and year for Prog Rock fans, but of the two albums I still occasionally listen to And Then There Were Three.

Banks and Collins both said that about Invisible Touch too. Years later Banks changed his mind. I knew at the time it was not possible that the composer of One for the Vine, would rank Invisible touch over previous classic albums.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:52
Outside of a few tunes, And Then There Were Three was a general misfire. The same can not so much be said of Tomato, and the musicianship is much fuller.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 11:30
Song for all Seasons

Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 14:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Song for all Seasons

Ha ha. Well, if I added that I would have to add breathless, giant for a day, hemispheres, heavy horses, love beach, octave, and on and on.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 22:10
Genesis.
Far from my favorite, but a heck of a lot better than Tormato.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:28
Just on impulse I went for Genesis but Yes is a close second there.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: August 18 2019 at 01:51
A favorite from Genesis is up against one of the worst from Yes. No brainier, Genesis

Posted By: nataleynisso
Date Posted: August 22 2019 at 06:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like Scenes from a Nights Dream!

Anyway Genesis by a long way  http://https://autoclicker.pro/" rel="nofollow - auto clicker   http://https://wordunscrambler.onl/" rel="nofollow - word unscrambler   http://https://jumblesolver.pro/" rel="nofollow - jumble solver
I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 23 2019 at 08:17
They're both decent records but the songs on ATTWT are better.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:55
Tormato Yes by some miles imho

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:22
Love Beach, um, wrong band......And then there were three.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 26 2021 at 11:47
bump!

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 26 2021 at 12:30
Yes, but then again, No. I'm undecided so I'll vote for Both Equally.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 26 2021 at 15:47
And Then There Were Three; one of my favorite Genesis albums; though I quite like Yes, Tormato doesn't really do it for me.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: October 26 2021 at 18:32
Neither

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: October 26 2021 at 18:58
Tormato no doubt, such an underrated album

Date Posted: October 27 2021 at 04:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

they are about equal in my mind as they are my 2 fav bands and I enjoy both of them but just not as often as their other albums---and of course I find myself skipping songs--agree with Banks in a recent interview---he really missed Hackett on And then there were 3---he thought Steve could have really made something great with it. Very true.
Weren't they also missing Phil Collins at the time? Wasn't he going through a really messy divorce at the time and his head wasn't in a right place. I find ATTWT a bit like CAS. More or less Tony Banks/ Mike Rutherford song duo albums and neither work off each other very well.

Date Posted: October 27 2021 at 04:09
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

Tormato no doubt, such an underrated album
Underrated to you. Underwhelming to me. To each his own.

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: October 27 2021 at 05:27
The album whose opening track the great Chester Thompson could not nail for them to perform it live.  Indicative of the gulf between the two bands that had opened up at that point.  I have a soft spot for it as well, going to Knebworth 78 aged 16, etc.

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: October 27 2021 at 10:10
I have over the 43 years I've had the ATTWT album I've come to really dislike it. It's an almost deranged hatred because at first I enjoyed s lot of it ( many too many, say its alright joe apart). I think I have heaped the blame for the pop output of Genesis wholly on this album.

Tomato I hated when I bought it all those years ago. I especially hated JA's kid at the end of circus of heaven and the protest song dont kill the whale ( of course I totally support the ban on whale killings but Ijust dont like protest songs). In fact I didnt like RW's synths.
Now i love Tormato and hate ATTWT. In fact I dragged my old vinyl copy of ATTWT out to see if it was a CD thing. Nope.
Tornado and John's kid all the way.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 27 2021 at 10:11
Neither...but I still have them on cd....collecting dust most likely.    Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk