Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120732
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 07:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Music Snob
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: Music Snob
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 14:58
Because you like music that is not spoon fed to you do you consider yourself a music snob?

Replies:
Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:10
I am a music snob, yes.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:28
I'm not clear what a music snob is based on the OP's post.
How about a maybe vote..?

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:35
Guilty as charged.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:39
Not at all. I find quality even in the pop songs. Desireless - Voyage Voyage is as important as the most complex progressive songs for me.

I may be snob in some ways, yet if you mean "progsnob", I'm far from it.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:42
Oh for sure. I don't even like prog.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:45
Not quite sure how to answer, but probably. I enjoy a wide variety of music that includes prog rock, but is not exclusive to prog rock. Everything from rock, to blues, to classical, to jazz, to schlocky lounge, big band, etc. But, I like what I like, and don't like what I don't like - probably makes me a snob...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Man With Hat
yep 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Progosopher
No. I like a lot of different styles of music, and dislike a fair number.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:02
I was "spoon fed" with Europe - The Final Countdown, when I was very little. I still think it is one of the best songs ever written and performed (and also sound wise).

I was also "spoon fed" with Trio - Da Da Da. After I matured, I've been thinking that it is one of the biggest craps in history.

Posted By: Howard the Duck
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:02
I don't know if snobbishness should enter into consideration when it comes to one's individual tastes in music.

If you were to impose that taste on others by deriding music that they enjoy, i think that would be snobbish - but that's true of any kind of subjective enjoyment of art/media.

Taken to its extreme however, ideally no one should be imposing loud music on people in public spaces, because there will be at least some people who dislike it. This is especially egregious in the use of (bad) modern music in grocery stores. I'm hypersentive to sound, and music in particular, so in general i dislike stores playing music - even if it's music I don't actively dislike, because i would rather focus on my shopping undistracted.

-------------
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:58
Yes, I have a masters degree in music theory and I like modern jazz and 20th century composers, and I won't take gigs that pay less than $100.00, although a real snob would demand more than that.

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:59
I am not a music snob. I just happen to be right, and if you agree with me, you are also right. See how inclusive I am?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 17:39
Not even sure what that means anymore. I would say the opposite is true of the OP's premise. People who do not explore nything outside of what is spoon fed to them are the music snobs.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 18:14
I'm certainly snobby about some aspects of music. That being said, I don't dislike music for being too mainstream or simplistic, although I have particular opinions that tend to be negative towards certain trends in modern popular music.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 18:22
Only during the day.

-------------

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 18:33
Not a music snob. Enjoy all sorts of pop.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:23
Snobbery is only in the ear of the beholder. . . . or something.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:41
I dont object to that label

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:55
Hi,

I think a lot of folks would think I am a music snob. 

I'm not sure what they are referring to ... one look at my collection and the amount of different musics and my standing up for so many lesser known bands, makes me think that snobbery is not something that goes with me ... at least not like the academic days I was familiar with ... when the "intellectuals" would be discussing the latest Fellini, or Antonioni, and they thought that .... the children don't belong here in the living room next to the professors and these discussions.

I still kinda joke that they were just, in some hidden way, just jealous that there were no fold outs of Sophia Loren and Anita Ekberg for them to enjoy!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:57
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Not even sure what that means anymore. I would say the opposite is true of the OP's premise. People who do not explore nything outside of what is spoon fed to them are the music snobs.

Disagree with your logic. A music snob is disgusted by popular music and explores obscure unknown bands and believes their tastes in music is superior to others who listen popular music.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 20:31
Snob as in someone who is narrow when it comes to their taste in music? No. Snob as in someone who thinks their music is better than other music? Sometimes. I don't know if I qualify as a music snob in the purest sense though given that I like neo and other prog subgenres and other kinds of music. 

I like some pop music but not most(especially not most recent pop music). Better is a subjective term anyway so I would have to say no about that. One could even argue that if prog was better than pop music why do millions of people listen to pop when only thousands listen to prog? Let's face it, pop music sells a lot more so does that mean most people who listen to pop are stupid or have bad taste in music? Maybe the later but not necessarily the former. Again, it's all subjective.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 22:42
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Disagree with your logic. A music snob is disgusted by popular music and explores obscure unknown bands and believes their tastes in music is superior to others who listen popular music.

I think it can go either way. Snobbery is more about basing your musical preferences on superficial qualities. I don't agree that it's snobbery not to seek out obscure music, but if you refuse to listen to something because it hasn't sold a certain amount of copies or been presented to you from a trusted source (e.g., radio), that's kind of snobby.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 12 2019 at 23:57
Instinctively yes because I value music that has some sort of creative process and displays intelligence. I look down at pop music. However that is an intellectual stance.
I have always like some pop music. Abba- Dancing Queen is my guilty pleasure. I would never admit this in 'public' lol!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 00:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I have always like some pop music. Abba- Dancing Queen is my guilty pleasure. I would never admit this in 'public' lol!

Your secret is safe with me Richard.

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 00:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Your secret is safe with me Richard.

LOL

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 00:31

That's too generalised for me.

One can be a music snob, and like music that is technically rather base and unimaginative. In the 80's, many fans of U2 considered themselves to have superior taste to fans of other high ranking artists at the time. They would strut around with their floppy haircuts and waist coasts, believing Bono to be some kind pf f***ing prophet, when in fact he little more than a pretentious Irish mountain goat in a leather jacket.

That aside, I would say that I AM seen as a music snob by my friends, but I actually don't think I'm that bad. I can look down my nose at a lot of music, but not at those who enjoy it. My philosophy on music generally is that there are two types of music; music you like, and music you don't like, and that's where the discussion stops.

I'm a terrible snob in other areas of my life, but that's another story altogether..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 00:33

So comments like "that stuff is soooooo pretentious" and "I don't listen to stuff I can't dance to" are not representative of snobbery?

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 00:35

Instinctively yes because I value music that has some sort of creative process and displays intelligence. I look down at pop music. However that is an intellectual stance.

ABBA were genius. They were great composers of pop music. A lot of people who 'understand' music seem to like ABBA.

It was probably thanks to ABBA that I got into music at all. They were one of the first bands that my parents introduced me to at about the age of 4, and they gave me a taste for melody that's sure, and even at a very young age, I could hear they were superior to other pop at the time. I couldn't explain why, but there was clearly something in the rhythmic twists and turns, and key changes of SOS and Mama Mia, that made them stand out.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 01:12
I respect everybody else's inalienable right to listen to sh*t music

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 02:19
If the definition of "music snob" is so wide a brush that it covers everyone NOT immediately distracted by mainstream music, then yes, I satisfy that criteria.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:29
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Not a music snob. Enjoy all sorts of pop.

Me too.  Went to see Take That this year and it's up there with the best concerts I've been to.  So I don't think I can call myself a music snobLOL

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:46
Not as snobby as I used to be, but still a snob. I can tolerate and sometimes enjoy 1970s and early 1980s pop music more than I used to.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:58

Have you seen the Australian Film ... "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"?

A must see, btw! Fun, fun!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 07:43
We are all musical snobs to some degree and I think it's time we come to terms with our personal musical snobbery.  That's the only way healing can begin and we can all reach oneness with our snobbery.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 07:57
Hi everyone,
My name is Jeff and I'm a recovering music snob. It's been 15 days since my last snobby thought. 

Seriously though, I was much more of a snob as a teenager. It wasn't that I was not interested in exploring new types of music but there were definitely some bands that I held in almost snobbish esteem. For instance, Iron Maiden was described as "thinking man's heavy metal." I latched on to that like gangbusters and looked down my nose at other metal bands for not being as "thinking man" in their approach to music LOL Pretty silly really. 

These days I'm much less snobbish. I look at music like I do food. There is so much out there to enjoy, taste and savor, why limit yourself? Oh sure, there are genres that I don't like much, such as Hip Hop, Country, and top 40 type Pop but even in those genres there will be a song every so often that I find okay. (Well, maybe not Country.)   

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 08:21
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hi everyone,
My name is Jeff and I'm a recovering music snob. It's been 15 days since my last snobby thought. 

Seriously though, I was much more of a snob as a teenager. It wasn't that I was not interested in exploring new types of music but there were definitely some bands that I held in almost snobbish esteem. For instance, Iron Maiden was described as "thinking man's heavy metal." I latched on to that like gangbusters and looked down my nose at other metal bands for not being as "thinking man" in their approach to music LOL Pretty silly really. 

These days I'm much less snobbish. I look at music like I do food. There is so much out there to enjoy, taste and savor, why limit yourself? Oh sure, there are genres that I don't like much, such as Hip Hop, Country, and top 40 type Pop but even in those genres there will be a song every so often that I find okay. (Well, maybe not Country.)   

Well done on your recovery. You're doing better than me. I had a snobby thought only a hour ago..

-------------

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 08:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Snob as in someone who is narrow when it comes to their taste in music? No. Snob as in someone who thinks their music is better than other music? Sometimes. I don't know if I qualify as a music snob in the purest sense though given that I like neo and other prog subgenres and other kinds of music. 

I like some pop music but not most(especially not most recent pop music). Better is a subjective term anyway so I would have to say no about that. One could even argue that if prog was better than pop music why do millions of people listen to pop when only thousands listen to prog? Let's face it, pop music sells a lot more so does that mean most people who listen to pop are stupid or have bad taste in music? Maybe the later but not necessarily the former. Again, it's all subjective.

Maybe it's like those teachers who grade on a curve....The largest amount get a C rating, on the far ends are the F's and the A's....Thinking that those with "good taste," in music get an "A," of course.  :)  And completely agree with the subjectiveness of the subject, so to speak.  

Love the AA and related-type meetings references here, too!  LOL

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 08:45
https://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=music%20snob" rel="nofollow - https://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=music%20snob  

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 09:37
not a snob but I have no patience for crap---but anything that is good I can appreciate even a well crafted pop song --but do I buy it or listen to it a lot---No---I think a lot of prog is crap too.Smile

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 10:16
No but i am a music snot

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 11:11
Nothing wrong with being a music snob as long you don't belong to a collusionnary system.

Can't stand it when those prissies are making their mockery in group against an indivudal...been a while I have seen it here though.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 14:11
I have a problem with most modern rap and most(at least 95 percent)of modern pop so I guess I'm a snob too. It's not that I hate all of it but I certainly won't go out of my way to listen to it. So I guess I am a music snob to some degree. However, the part I struggle with is that I don't think the music is inherently worse or inferior it's just a matter of taste. So with that in mind I won't vote since I guess my attitude is ultimately somewhere in between. 

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 17:42

I have a problem with most modern rap and most(at least 95 percent)of modern pop so I guess I'm a snob too. It's not that I hate all of it but I certainly won't go out of my way to listen to it. So I guess I am a music snob to some degree. However, the part I struggle with is that I don't think the music is inherently worse or inferior it's just a matter of taste. So with that in mind I won't vote since I guess my attitude is ultimately somewhere in between. 

d'accord. the biggest problem I have with rappers are however the lyrics. they consider themselves to be great rhymers but their rhymes are actually pathetic

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 17:55
Yes, just because it does rhyme, doesn't make it a good rhyme.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 18:13
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Did you just try to rhyme rhyme with rhyme?  Brilliant!

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 18:26
Ha ha. I have a goat in a coat on a boat. I wonder if it will float. Maybe I should build a moat.

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:01
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Did you just try to rhyme rhyme with rhyme?  Brilliant!

Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:02

Ha ha. I have a goat in a coat on a boat. I wonder if it will float. Maybe I should build a moat.

Cute Mike, I think it's going to be the next rap hit!  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:15

I have actually written a rap or two. I'm not going to post them on here though. 

Prog rap. Now, there's a genre that hasn't happened yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. Wink

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:24
Wasn't there a discussion somewhere about if that was even possible?  I have heard a  band that was doing sort of Viking/Nordic/Germanic music (in pretty wild costumes), that then went into a rap....I actually thought it was pretty cool until they did that....kind of disconcerting...never looked up any more of that band after that.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:37
I don't know. There are lots of hybrid genres out there though. There was even a bluegrass band who were pretty proggy at one point called the Punch Brothers but I think they eventually went back to regular bluegrass.

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:46
The Strawbs started as a bluegrass-inspired outfit....

-------------

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 22:13
Oh, yeah.

And damned proud of it, too.

lol

If I like it, it is good.

And, if I don't like it, it isn't.

-------------
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:17
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

d'accord. the biggest problem I have with rappers are however the lyrics. they consider themselves to be great rhymers but their rhymes are actually pathetic

Agreed to a point, specially as some of the "hits" in rap are, for me, not that exciting, and the lyrics are not even entertaining ... and I'm not sure they were actually "written", and a lot of it may just be ad-lib which is fine with me, however you can tell by how many times these rhymes are "forced" ... and your and my appreciation for them kinda dies down quickly.

One of my favorite albums has some rap, and some different kind of rap ... grab a hold of Ryuichi Sakamoto's couple of albums ... Neo Geo has Iggy Pop almost doing rap, and sometimes simply speaking on the songs and it sounds really good. ... Heartbeat is a fantastic album and the title song is over the top and a fantastic thing that has singing and then rap on it ... and it works. Beauty is the 3rd album in the series and the rap in there is different and done with other folks, almost to the point that calling it "rap" is kinda crazy ... 

Europe, however, has a lot of folks that do rap, and it is very different than the American version which to my ears is very RAW and not cleaned up!

Not sure these thoughts fit in the "snob" area ... but what the heck!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:19

I don't know. There are lots of hybrid genres out there though. There was even a bluegrass band who were pretty proggy at one point called the Punch Brothers but I think they eventually went back to regular bluegrass.

"Skiffle" is C&W? 

I gotta re-read Cousins' book again ... it was a difficult one to review and describe and I was not sure I would be in the right path if I reviewed it ... it gave me a better perspective on the radio situation in England with the BBC than it did with his band!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 00:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Have you seen the Australian Film ... "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"?

A must see, btw! Fun, fun!

Yes although a long time ago. I remember enjoying it for sure. Great cast! 

Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 00:22
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hi everyone,

15 days? Maybe 15 seconds for me!

I would really like a country band to enjoy. I've just ordered an album by The Band Perry. I've heard a few songs by them and I actually like them! 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 04:19

Great band The Punch Brothers. I wouldn't say they've ever been "regular" bluegrass - they've even covered Radiohead songs. "Kid A" on the mandolin!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 06:55
Frankly, I never thought about it, and honestly, I don't really care. I like music, and the music I like and listen to is chosen by my personal taste. If that makes me a snob or not, Who cares?

Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 07:44

I gotta re-read Cousins' book again ... it was a difficult one to review and describe and I was not sure I would be in the right path if I reviewed it ... it gave me a better perspective on the radio situation in England with the BBC than it did with his band!

Exorcising Ghosts?  I did read that and kind of thought the same thing, although I do love his music.  Thought it was a little light reading considering how deep many of his lyrics are.  But, then again, he was really great at crafting those (imo), so perhaps didn't miss his calling of becoming a great novelist.

-------------

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 07:51
Probably not, as I don’t actually go on the forum to Sl*g Rush off .

-------------
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette

Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 10:43
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Frankly, I never thought about it, and honestly, I don't really care. I like music, and the music I like and listen to is chosen by my personal taste. If that makes me a snob or not, Who cares?

Dude, just trying to keep the banter light and humorous. Who really cares about any of the topics here? It's all in fun. 

Date Posted: August 14 2019 at 15:12

I have actually written a rap or two. I'm not going to post them on here though. 

Prog rap. Now, there's a genre that hasn't happened yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. Wink

Archive's first album "Londonarium" before they were considered Prog is mostly rap but in a trip hop style.  It's actually not too bad, though it's not their best.

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 01:10
Guilty as charged, since whenever I open up my mouth people try to shut me up.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 02:59
I say no but I've been accused of being one

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 03:06
Oh hell yeah.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 05:24

Here then is an actual example and you make of it what you will.  

This colleague who has safe and comfortable tastes in Indian music noticed me listening to rock music a lot.  He got curious and asked me to show a sample.  I played Bohemian Rhapsody on my mp3 player and he listened through earphones.  Before he could get much further beyond the harmonised "This is the real life" vocal prelude, he was through.  He looked disgusted and asked me how could I listen to this and it wasn't music.  

So...here you go.  A gentleman who doesn't understand harmony concludes that something beyond his understanding = not good music.  How many times will you hear ME saying something like that?  Almost never.  Irrespective of my general preferences, I will and have given anything a chance.  Do I see people like this chap do that?  No.  In my opinion, and as Tapfret said, it is them, it is the journalists who blindly bashed prog as 'pretentious' without attempting to engage with it, who are the snobs because it's they who go "how can anybody listen to this?" (to be clear, some prog may indeed be pretentious but the notion that it is wholly a bad thing and three chord music is ALWAYS preferable doesn't fly).  

I know why somebody would listen to Justin Bieber even if I don't like his work because I can figure out where the appeal lies.  The people who dismiss music out of hand without attempting to find out how it works are the real snobs, imo.  If you were a music lover living in my city, you would have seen me at the shows of a reigning Bollywood singer, western classical recitals, jazz, metal, even Shakti (McLaughlin's collaboration with Zakir Hussain and others).  If I like the music, genre is no bar for me. I don't insist that everybody should be equally or more adventurous in exploring music just as long as they don't give their opinions about MY preferences in music. 

Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 05:27
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

ABBA were genius. They were great composers of pop music. A lot of people who 'understand' music seem to like ABBA.

It was probably thanks to ABBA that I got into music at all. They were one of the first bands that my parents introduced me to at about the age of 4, and they gave me a taste for melody that's sure, and even at a very young age, I could hear they were superior to other pop at the time. I couldn't explain why, but there was clearly something in the rhythmic twists and turns, and key changes of SOS and Mama Mia, that made them stand out.

ABBA were a good band who just made America's famously nativist rock critics, notably Christgau, terribly insecure about their success.  Yeah, so they have funny accents and clumsy lyrics but how far would an American outfit get trying to write lyrics in Swedish?  They should listen to samples of Agnetha singing in Swedish; she was a wonderful singer.  Relatively underrated given the kind of popularity she and the band had back in the day.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:42
I detest the local FM rock station. That's the worst of my snobbishness.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 15 2019 at 22:13
Oyus . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: August 16 2019 at 00:15
I don't think Music Snobbery is just about dismissing other music , its about looking for music that is 'superior'. So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 16 2019 at 01:30
I'm not sure, but I think yes. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:43

I don't think Music Snobbery is just about dismissing other music , its about looking for music that is 'superior'. So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

The irony of this is some of the most influential prog rock bands did in fact scale way up the album charts and when they bothered to produce radio edits, did well on the singles charts too.  Even today, great music does break through the charts.  Everything Everything have had two top five albums in the UK charts and they are by no means typical.  Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool made the Billboard top five and have similarly charted well in the past too.  It's just difficult to cut through the clutter of overexposed cookie cutter pop.  And I do not think calling something by its name is snobbery.  I am sure that at least in private, the songwriters regularly called on to deliver hits for popstars would admit to adhering to a formula if for no reason than that they can't afford to miss as the stakes are too high.  

Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 00:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The irony of this is some of the most influential prog rock bands did in fact scale way up the album charts and when they bothered to produce radio edits, did well on the singles charts too.  Even today, great music does break through the charts.  Everything Everything have had two top five albums in the UK charts and they are by no means typical.  Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool made the Billboard top five and have similarly charted well in the past too.  It's just difficult to cut through the clutter of overexposed cookie cutter pop.  And I do not think calling something by its name is snobbery.  I am sure that at least in private, the songwriters regularly called on to deliver hits for popstars would admit to adhering to a formula if for no reason than that they can't afford to miss as the stakes are too high.  

Yes that's true and as my avatar shows I am a fan of Muse and they are regularly are in the charts.
BTW Someone at worked yesterday asked me what I think about Beyoncé so I deflected a bit by saying 'in what way?' . They of course responded ' not in the way you are thinking!' . I did add that I just don't like or bother with most chart music so not able to express an opinion about her music as I don't listen to it. That shows a mixture of snobbery and ignorance on my part I guess!?

Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 01:44

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yes that's true and as my avatar shows I am a fan of Muse and they are regularly are in the charts.
BTW Someone at worked yesterday asked me what I think about Beyoncé so I deflected a bit by saying 'in what way?' . They of course responded ' not in the way you are thinking!' . I did add that I just don't like or bother with most chart music so not able to express an opinion about her music as I don't listen to it. That shows a mixture of snobbery and ignorance on my part I guess!?

That's the safest answer, to just say you don't know and don't have an opinion. 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 01:50
It’s all potatoes anyway...whether we prefer chips, pommes frites or the half baked green ones is of course a thing that rely on our individual voyage through potatoville.
I tend to dig the salty variants!!!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 05:06
I respect all kinds of music (including much that ends up in the charts) and fans of every musical genre. However I do believe there are many around who don't listen properly and whose music preferences are driven by criteria that I'd consider non-musical, consciously or subconsciously. And there's music around that was made to cater for these in the first place, or to just satisfy certain expectations, rather than for conveying a "musical message". I don't enjoy discussing music with these people and I'm not interested in that kind of material. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

(Also, which may not exactly be the same thing, I'm on a "private" forum discussing all kinds of things where there's a musicbox thread in which people post all kinds of stuff that they love - and occasionally I'm really stunned how samey and unoriginal the vast majority of that stuff is.)

Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 07:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I respect all kinds of music (including much that ends up in the charts) and fans of every musical genre. However I do believe there are many around who don't listen properly and whose music preferences are driven by criteria that I'd consider non-musical, consciously or subconsciously. And there's music around that was made to cater for these in the first place, or to just satisfy certain expectations, rather than for conveying a "musical message". I don't enjoy discussing music with these people and I'm not interested in that kind of material. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

(Also, which may not exactly be the same thing, I'm on a "private" forum discussing all kinds of things where there's a musicbox thread in which people post all kinds of stuff that they love - and occasionally I'm really stunned how samey and unoriginal the vast majority of that stuff is.)

Yeah, we are in the minority there.  We listen to music for the sake of music.  The majority of people associate music with some social activity and see it as reflective of their personality.

Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 07:55

So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

And this is one of my favorite issues ... I don't trust the top 40 chart ... why? EASY ... check these numbers out!

A band in NY sells 75K albums in 3 days ... and it makes the VARIETY LIST because only 2 other artists got that far and further. That same artist only sold 1400 albums in LA, and around 600 in SF ... but it is still listed in VARIETY because it is "considered" the standard in all of America ... and this is one of the "charts" that get copied to USA Today and many other newspapers, and ... we believe it more than we give a damn ... and the likelihood is that band in NY only sold 7500 albums, not 75K, or somewhere else in the country some folks would have noticed!

My take is that a "number 1" on that list is worth a bit of money ... but the folks that run a few of those artists don't like the idea that the name of their artist is not listed with the best ... btw ... did you audit the supposed sale of 75K albums in 3 days in NY? How many stores?

NOPE .... we just accepted the "information".

And this is my only problem with a Top this or that ... the situations are never clear, and they are not listed so we know how the numbers got there ... so, if a store in Manhattan sold 5K albums of BandHooplah2, no one will know it, and it won't even be mentioned. Again, in that store, that band whooped the supposed number 1 ... that more than likely did not sell that much ... but the numbers make it look like they did!

And worse ... we believed it.

Our only hope is that one day we find out how fake these numbers were ... and that the artist will produce his/her bank account, and show that for all the numbers, he/she only brought home ... this much ... now, just sit back and watch the IRS and 157 lawyers go to work ... and 55 people end up in jail and some hard time!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 17 2019 at 08:11

And this is one of my favorite issues ... I don't trust the top 40 chart ... why? EASY ... check these numbers out!

A band in NY sells 75K albums in 3 days ... and it makes the VARIETY LIST because only 2 other artists got that far and further. That same artist only sold 1400 albums in LA, and around 600 in SF ... but it is still listed in VARIETY because it is "considered" the standard in all of America ... and this is one of the "charts" that get copied to USA Today and many other newspapers, and ... we believe it more than we give a damn ... and the likelihood is that band in NY only sold 7500 albums, not 75K, or somewhere else in the country some folks would have noticed!

My take is that a "number 1" on that list is worth a bit of money ... but the folks that run a few of those artists don't like the idea that the name of their artist is not listed with the best ... btw ... did you audit the supposed sale of 75K albums in 3 days in NY? How many stores?

And this is my only problem with a Top this or that ... the situations are never clear, and they are not listed so we know how the numbers got there ... so, if a store in Manhattan sold 5K albums of BandHooplah2, no one will know it, and it won't even be mentioned. Again, in that store, that band whooped the supposed number 1 ... that more than likely did not sell that much ... but the numbers make it look like they did!

Our only hope is that one day we find out how fake these numbers were ... and that the artist will produce his/her bank account, and show that for all the numbers, he/she only brought home ... this much ... now, just sit back and watch the IRS and 157 lawyers go to work ... and 55 people end up in jail and some hard time!

There's nothing wrong with that, though.  Again, just like PA ratings, a chart rating can only measure sales, not how they are distributed.  That is, popular vote rather than electoral college if you will.  We have an example pretty much exemplifying what you mention right here on PA - Renaissance.  They were mainly a NY, Pennsylvania and couple of North Eastern states band.  But they did better there than many other bands did all across America.  And that's fine.  There's nothing wrong with that.  If anything, you are setting up a false standard because if we had a system that mandated minimum sales in every state, you'd only ever have bands appealing to Joe Blow and Billy Blow at the top of the charts and regional diversity would never get captured in any charting music. 

Now if you suggest some bands can game the system by trumping up high numbers in a single location, well, that wouldn't even be an issue if music was selling any healthy number of units to begin with.  Would it have been possible to fake Michael Jackson's sales in this way?  No.  In the same way, when a band goes gold or platinum, you can't argue with that.  You can't buy a certification for 500,000 or 1 million albums.  That can only be earned.  And it's not for us to judge whether the 'right' or 'wrong' artists earned it.  

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 18 2019 at 14:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

However I do believe there are many around who don't listen properly and whose music preferences are driven by criteria that I'd consider non-musical, consciously or subconsciously.

Just seeing if I understand correctly. By non-musical criteria, you're perhaps referring to its conduciveness for dancing or working out or having fun at a carnival and so on?

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: August 19 2019 at 00:26

So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

It's well know that Charts were often rigged even in the seventies. That's not really the point I was trying to make, more that chart music reflects an approach that is money driven and commercial based. So you have to have the best producer and the best video director etc. I have zero interest in that. I find it frustrating that people generally see the eighties as some golden age when that type of commercial approach was rife. There were good bands though don't get my wrong but they arrived despite of not because of.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 19 2019 at 10:50
Going back to the OP, I guess I would have to say yes. I like to try to have an open mind but there is just so much garbage out there sometimes it's tough. 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 19 2019 at 14:34
I am the very definition of a music snob. I'm not proud of it.

Posted By: Kempokid
Date Posted: August 19 2019 at 19:05
Nah, people can like what they like as long as they're willing to be somewhat open minded. Music from most genres can reveal some absolute gems from my experience. So while I'd consider myself a massive fan of the medium of music, I wouldn't consider myself a snob about it.

Date Posted: August 20 2019 at 07:50
Take the most horrendous sounding music you can think of....do you have it mind? Alright, then imagine an old lady listening to the very same but with goosebumps rolling across her body.

That’s music for ya right there.
We say it so much that the meaning has wandered out the backdoor but: one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Works for women too

I absolute detest Hansi Hinterseer...with a burning passion. It’s everything I loathe about music: syrupy, unimaginative, forseeable, safe and most of all highly muzaky....yet when I one day caught my old grandmother watching a show of his on tv - closed eyes, heavy breathing and with goosebumps all over her body...well I couldn’t quite escape the thought that she looked exactly like your’s truly listening to Atom Heart Mother or some other music that takes me to Goosebumps City.
Is her soul orgasm less worth than mine just because I find her music to be utterly cringeworthy? Is my soul orgasm less worth than her’s because she finds my music cringeworthy?
Let’s find a horse to judge the tournament!!!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 20 2019 at 08:17
I don't think there's a website: syrupy, unimaginative, forseeable, safe and most of all highly muzaky Archives just yet. Dogs like bones but they're not osteologists ffs.

-------------

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: August 20 2019 at 11:17
After listening to a week or so of current pop and auto-tune in a client's warehouse, I have no problem with being some sort of snob. 

At times, I've been more snobbish than necessary. There are songs and bands I've reflexively tried to dislike, because "the weren't my type of music", but ended up liking them despite myself. 

But usually, most of pop, in any age, is crap. 

I'm a wizened snob, but still, inherently I prefer "better music", and I'm a snob. 

-------------
-John

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 20 2019 at 11:51
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

Not at all. I find quality even in the pop songs. Desireless - Voyage Voyage is as important as the most complex progressive songs for me.

I may be snob in some ways, yet if you mean "progsnob", I'm far from it.

Thanks, me too!  Hell, I even like some disco!  LOL

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: August 21 2019 at 07:44
Give everything a chance; much music has many values to most people.

I think this is about the rebelling against the corporate machine telling you to consume product as it is marketed to a lowest common denominator standard.

Anarchists ruling ok...

Date Posted: August 21 2019 at 07:57
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I don't think there's a website: syrupy, unimaginative, forseeable, safe and most of all highly muzaky Archives just yet. Dogs like bones but they're not osteologists ffs.

We should most definitely make one then. I’ll let you be my trusty henchman with the powers to boot all and everyone merely thinking of mentioning music with a keyboard solo or a beat that doesn’t say 1.2.3.4.
Birds like to fly but they’ve never gone on the record expressing their love for Macca’s Wings.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 21 2019 at 09:17
To me the key word is "snob". If I think about wine snobs then I don't act that way with music, I am sure when I was a bit younger I may have so my answer is yes and no.
So there........deal with it.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: August 22 2019 at 00:37
Not so much anymore!

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Date Posted: August 29 2019 at 21:56
I finally bit the bullet and voted no. The reason I voted no is because I like a lot of different kinds of music besides just prog and while I have preferences of some stuff over others that shouldn't matter because pretty much everyone does. So while my taste might appear snobbish to some I don't really see it that way. I just know what I like and like what I know. ;)

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:43
Yes Absoultely YES!!!!

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk