Print Page | Close Window

Starcastle

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120802
Printed Date: May 12 2024 at 22:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Starcastle
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: Starcastle
Date Posted: August 23 2019 at 22:37
Am I the only one that actually quite enjoys their first two albums, they're often written off as yes clones but I think they have their own touch and at the end of the day, I think they made enjoyable fun music. 

Fountains of Light I would say is the better of the two albums

Replies:
Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 24 2019 at 10:31
Fountains of Light is my favorite, too. Herb's keys and Gary's bass are the highlights...kind of like Yes!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: August 24 2019 at 11:24
Rather than "Yes clones", I prefer to call them "Yes light". Reminiscent of Yes but not quite a carbon copy. Liked them back in the day and still do today. 

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 24 2019 at 12:35
I hadn't heard much, but just checked out this track and it is very Yes heavy. Fun, though. I could well-imagine people who didn't know better thinking this was Yes. Rather than calling it a clone, I might call it imitation. It's rather like The Rutles of the Yesiverse without quite the same wit.

I'm fine with imitation as a sort of homage, as long as one doesn't plagiarise or deny the influence, and gives credit where credit is due.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: August 24 2019 at 15:13
I have no problem if they sound similar to Yes. These guys make decent songs even if they do get a bit goofy sometimes (I don't really think every song needs a "Da da da" interlude). The funny thing is when I listen to the lead guitar at the beginning of Lady Of The Lake, I'm reminded of Future Times/Rejoice... which came out a couple years later. I think these guys have a bit of a more orchestrated sound than Yes - spots where Steve Howe might be improvising chords, Starcastle would have specifically written parts for their two guitarists.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 24 2019 at 16:10
That's an interesting post, it could be that the imitated ended up imitating the imitator.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: August 24 2019 at 17:17
Starcastle is to Yes as Triumvirat is to ELP. If you really like the originals, you get even more.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 00:16
I went to university in Champaign, Illinois USA when Starcastle were breaking onto the local scene....they were an amazing act to see live!  

Herb Schildt was a back-stage friend, it was fun to hang out with him and the band.  Gary Strater could have replaced Chris Squire if Squire had been abducted by aliens, he was that good!  

Starcastle employed a dual-lead guitar technique not used by many other symphonic bands (Kansas comes to mind), and both guitarists were excellent.   

Local fans understood the parallels to Yes, and we embraced that, as they were the "American answer to Yes."  Pity that the band had a tragic accident that broke the back of guitarist Steve Hagler, and destroyed much of their equipment.  

Enjoy the band for what they were, a bunch of young, hot-handed local musicians who were capable of playing Yes note-for-note and chose to run with it in a new, American direction.  RIP Gary Strater.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:37
I've been listening for a good 20 minutes now, and I'm very impressed with what I'm hearing so far.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I've been listening for a good 20 minutes now, and I'm very impressed with what I'm hearing so far.

Glad you like it! They’re a lot of fun, lady of the lake is probably their most acclaimed song in prog communities. I think you’d find enjoyment in both the entire first two albums though!

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 08:28
Love Starcastle.Do they sound like Yes,sure, do they have something to offer themselves ? Yes,absolutely.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 11:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I went to university in Champaign, Illinois USA when Starcastle were breaking onto the local scene....they were an amazing act to see live!  

Herb Schildt was a back-stage friend, it was fun to hang out with him and the band.  Gary Strater could have replaced Chris Squire if Squire had been abducted by aliens, he was that good!  

Starcastle employed a dual-lead guitar technique not used by many other symphonic bands (Kansas comes to mind), and both guitarists were excellent.   

Local fans understood the parallels to Yes, and we embraced that, as they were the "American answer to Yes."  Pity that the band had a tragic accident that broke the back of guitarist Steve Hagler, and destroyed much of their equipment.  

Enjoy the band for what they were, a bunch of young, hot-handed local musicians who were capable of playing Yes note-for-note and chose to run with it in a new, American direction.  RIP Gary Strater.

Awesome. RIP Gary, indeed.

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 11:11
I'm a long time fan of Starcastle and even find a couple of great tracks on their most commercial album "Reel to Real", but their first 2 albums were definitely their best. 

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 11:18
i should check out fountains of light, their 1st record is jusr great.

Posted By: Ghost Whistler
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 13:15
Amazing bass player, such a loss

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 13:48

Local fans understood the parallels to Yes, and we embraced that, as they were the "American answer to Yes."  
If that were true, God save America.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 16:52
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Local fans understood the parallels to Yes, and we embraced that, as they were the "American answer to Yes."  

It was all in good fun!  Starcastle could play anything (and usually did).....tunes by Elton John, Rolling Stones, etc.  They were one of the best cover bands I ever saw, in addition to playing their originals.  

Also, thanks for the God Save America, I'm not sure He can save us from our present leadership!  

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2019 at 16:53
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Amazing bass player, such a loss

Thank you for that, Gary was amazing!  

This is a tribute song Starcastle recorded for him.  The vocals sound just like Jon Anderson's to me.

-------------

Posted By: Ghost Whistler
Date Posted: August 26 2019 at 08:34
Don't tell Chris (RIP), but I think Gary was actually better! :O

Both amazing players, but, despite Gary tending to overplay a lot, he could get away with it and had some brilliant lines. 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 26 2019 at 13:39
I love the first three Starcastle LP's. Citadel gets no love but is almost as good as the first two.

And the debut and Fountains Of Light are incredibly great records - Yes clones or not.

(And for the record - I don't think of Triumvirat the same way. They definitely were not ELP clones - although Spartacus was very similar to our British heroes...)

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: August 26 2019 at 17:46
I love listening to Starcastle.  As long as I can set aside thoughts of how derivative they were, I really enjoy the music.  

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 26 2019 at 18:25
Never heard.

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2019 at 01:41
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Never heard.

Check out this tune from their first LP, it is one of my favorites.  I'd seen them play this many times when I was in college!  

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 27 2019 at 07:58
^ Fascinante ressemblance.

-------------

Posted By: pussywillow
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 13:22
I've heard Starcastle being dismissed as Yes clones over the years, and can't say I agree. They have a distinctive sound all of their own, imho, and some of the vocal harmonies are exquisite and are nothing like Yes.

I'm a Citadel man myself. Tongue

-------------
PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:05
what they did in 76-77 (first three albums) is quite good. Big smile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:49
I have the first 2....on old vinyl....would pick up Citadel if I saw it in a shop. 

While maybe not a clone.... they do resemble Yes a good deal but so do other groups from the prog world.
It would be interesting to read an interview with band members as to their influences.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: September 20 2021 at 10:17
Vastly underrated band - I will always love and listen to the first three albums. Gary Strater and Stephen Tassler are one of the greatest rhythm sections of all time!

As far as the Yes comparisons go, it really only applies to the first album. When Roy Thomas Baker produced the next two albums, they started to sound more like Queen, Rush, and Boston, with some Yes influences still present.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:25
I have really liked the Starcastle debut album for many years; for me, their later records don't quite match the first one. The debut is the most striking one.

RIP, Gary Strater

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:56

I thought Yezda Urfa was the American Yes!

Always loved Starcastle--even got see them live as warmup to Todd Rundgren's Utopia. (The keyboard guy was he most impressive to me.) Nice to see the love being expressed for these talented Illini.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: September 20 2021 at 12:58
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Vastly underrated band - I will always love and listen to the first three albums. Gary Strater and Stephen Tassler are one of the greatest rhythm sections of all time!

As far as the Yes comparisons go, it really only applies to the first album. When Roy Thomas Baker produced the next two albums, they started to sound more like Queen, Rush, and Boston, with some Yes influences still present.

Fountains of Light is firmly in the mold of Yes-styled symph prog, but it's much better than the debut, which is almost shameless in its mimicry.

In fact, Starcastle turned me off for many years. When I finally heard Fountains of Light, I realized the band was capable of a lot more. 

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 01:13
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Always loved Starcastle--even got see them live as warmup to Todd Rundgren's Utopia. (The keyboard guy was he most impressive to me.) Nice to see the love being expressed for these talented Illini.

Yezda Urfa is in no way the American Yes, in my opinion. The similarities are minimal. The bassist certainly has a Squire-like tone for the bass and style in playing, but otherwise, what else is there? The singer... also sings high...? The singer actually really sounds like Trevor Horn, if anything. Almost EXACTLY like Trevor Horn. 

In every other way, to me, they sound like a band already obsessed with Zappa who all did cocaine and discovered Gentle Giant together. Gentle Giant on coke. That sounds more like it to me.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 07:05
Like Prog Archives says sometimes: "only for fans (of Yes)" or "completionists". Two words come to my mind: imitator and clone.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 07:41
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Like Prog Archives says sometimes: "only for fans (of Yes)" or "completionists". Two words come to my mind: imitator and clone.

or a third one - pastiche Big smileLOL

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Yezda Urfa is in no way the American Yes, in my opinion. The similarities are minimal. The bassist certainly has a Squire-like tone for the bass and style in playing, but otherwise, what else is there? The singer... also sings high...? The singer actually really sounds like Trevor Horn, if anything. Almost EXACTLY like Trevor Horn. 

In every other way, to me, they sound like a band already obsessed with Zappa who all did cocaine and discovered Gentle Giant together. Gentle Giant on coke. That sounds more like it to me.

I agree...more of a cross between GG and Zappa and other prog influences. They were from Chicago and northwest Indiana which is where I live. Sadly I never heard of them in the mid 70's even though I lived in that area...they played in various places in Chicago and nothwest Indiana.
Good interview    https://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2019/07/yezda-urfa-interview.html

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 12:43
Great band! And what's wrong with Yes clones?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 13:17
"Citadel" was actually the first Starcastle that I owned.  I like it enough to go back to their debut and "Fountains of Light" albums.  I liked them even before Yes became one of my favorite bands, but I must credit them to get me to listen to Yes a lot closer back in the day, mainly because back then I even heard people say they were Yes clones.  I have kept my appreciation of them even now.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:55
Starcastle had some important differences from Yes.  They featured two incredibly talented lead guitarists, their keyboard player was predominantly a Hammond organ player, and they incorporated instruments in live shows like saxophone.  You can't judge this band only by their limited discography.  

Lead vocalist Terry Lutrell left REO Speedwagon to join Starcastle....I wonder if he regretted that move, seeing that REO went on to be a monster act on AOR and classic rock radio? 

For one ProgDay performance, Annie Halsam sang with the band, I heard it was sublime.  

To summarize, they were inspired by Yes, but not a "Yes clone" etc.  They easily could have played Yes songs live, but to my knowledge, they never did.  Their "da-dadada-da-da DA!" vocalization style was unique to Starcastle, Yes never did anything like that.  Flash did however. 

-------------

Posted By: Rottenprogger
Date Posted: September 21 2021 at 16:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Great band! And what's wrong with Yes clones?

I haven't listened to Starcastle in awhile but what I did hear was pretty damn good Yes-inspired prog so I have no problem with clones executing this kind of complex music in an entertaining manner. 

It's worked like gangbusters for Steve Howe! LOL

Posted By: PetePuma
Date Posted: February 08 2022 at 13:14
I enjoy the first 3 albums quite a bit. The first is my favorite.

-------------
Cult Deprogrammer: "I was able to get Paul McCartney out of Wings"
Homer: "You idiot! He was the most talented one"

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: February 09 2022 at 13:17
I could never understand why lead singer Terry Luttrell changed his voice for that band. He was gutsy and strong on the first REO Speedwagon album, but sang higher and wimpier for this band. No doubt to sound more like Jon Anderson, but he should have stuck with his true voice. Weird.

Date Posted: February 09 2022 at 14:13
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I could never understand why lead singer Terry Luttrell changed his voice for that band. He was gutsy and strong on the first REO Speedwagon album, but sang higher and wimpier for this band. No doubt to sound more like Jon Anderson, but he should have stuck with his true voice. Weird.

Starcastle was a wannabe Yes, that's why. At least the subsequent albums were good. The debut bored me.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 23 2022 at 07:53

-------------
The Prog Corner

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk