Print Page | Close Window

New remastered and expanded 3CD edition of Refugee

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120864
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 10:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New remastered and expanded 3CD edition of Refugee
Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Subject: New remastered and expanded 3CD edition of Refugee
Date Posted: September 02 2019 at 03:17

• NEW 3 CD RE-MASTERED & EXPANDED CLAMSHELL BOXED SET EDITION OF THE CLASSIC 1974 ALBUM BY REFUGEE

• FEATURING PATRICK MORAZ (YES, THE MOODY BLUES), LEE JACKSON (THE NICE), BRIAN DAVISON (THE NICE)
• CONTAINS THE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED BBC “IN CONCERT” PERFORMANCE FROM MAY 1974 AND “LIVE AT NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 1974”
• WITH ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a re-mastered and expanded 3CD clamshell boxed set edition of the 1974 album by legendary Progressive Rock trio REFUGEE. Formed in 1973 by former members of THE NICE Lee Jackson (bass, vocals), Brian Davison (drums) and keyboard virtuoso Patrick Moraz, Refugee recorded one classic studio album during their short career, which was issued in 1974. Taking the template established by THE NICE (and their keyboard player KEITH EMERSON who later was part of EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER), Refugee earned praise upon its release and saw the band gain a loyal following.

In May 1974 they recorded a memorable performance for BBC Radio One’s “In Concert” programme which appears as part of this set for the first time. A UK tour saw an appearance at Newcastle’s City Hall in June 1974 which was recorded by the band’s sound engineer and forms CD Three of the set. Thanks to the profile of Patrick Moraz being raised by his work with Refugee, he soon joined Yes, replacing the recently departed Rick Wakeman.

Unavailable for some years, this new edition of REFUGEE is most welcome and is a complete document of the groups short existence.

TRACKLISTING

DISC ONE

REFUGEE
THE ORIGINAL ALBUM
RE-MASTERED

1. PAPILLON
2. SOMEDAY
3. GRAND CANYON:
1ST MOVEMENT –
THE SOURCE
2ND MOVEMENT – THEME
FOR THE CANYON
3RD MOVEMENT –
THE JOURNEY
4TH MOVEMENT – RAPIDS
5TH MOVEMENT – THE
MIGHTY COLORADO

4. GATE CRASHER
5. RITT MICKLEY
6. CREDO:
1ST MOVEMENT – PRELUDE
2ND MOVEMENT – I BELIEVE
3RD MOVEMENT – THEME
4TH MOVEMENT – LOST
CAUSE
5TH MOVEMENT – AGITATO
6TH MOVEMENT – I BELIEVE
(PART II)
7TH MOVEMENT –
VARIATION
8TH MOVEMENT – MAIN
THEME FINALE

DISC TWO

BBC RADIO ONE IN CONCERT
9TH MAY 1974

1. RITT MICKLEY (BBC IN CONCERT 1974 – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
2. SOMEDAY (BBC IN CONCERT 1974 – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
3. THE GRAND CANYON SUITE
1ST MOVEMENT – THE SOURCE
2ND MOVEMENT – THEME FOR THE
CANYON
3RD MOVEMENT – THE JOURNEY
4TH MOVEMENT – RAPIDS
5TH MOVEMENT – THE MIGHTY
COLORADO

BBC IN CONCERT 1974 –
PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC THREE

LIVE AT NEWCASTLE CITY HALL 16TH JUNE 1974

1. OUTRO – MITT RICKLEY (LIVE 1974)
2. ONE LEFT HANDED PETER PAN (LIVE 1974)
3. THE DIAMOND HARD BLUE APPLES OF THE MOON (LIVE 1974)
4. SOMEDAY (LIVE 1974)
5. PAPILLON (LIVE 1974)
6. SHE BELONGS TO ME (LIVE 1974)
7. THE GRAND CANYON SUITE
1ST MOVEMENT – THE SOURCE
2ND MOVEMENT – THEME FOR
THE CANYON
3RD MOVEMENT – THE JOURNEY
4TH MOVEMENT – RAPIDS
5TH MOVEMENT – THE MIGHTY
COLORADO (LIVE 1974)
8. REFUGEE JAM (LIVE 1974)

Source: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/refugee-refugee-3cd-remastered-and-expanded-boxset-edition/

Replies:
Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 03 2019 at 00:40
Yep its a lovely little box set and beautifully remastered. You have arguably one the best rhythm sections in prog teaming with the best prog keyboard player ( yes I did say that!) . My only slight disappointment is that the Radio One In Concert Broadcast is far too short (only about 40 minutes) but any fans of ELP , Rick Wakeman etc should gobble this up. 

Date Posted: September 03 2019 at 04:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yep its a lovely little box set and beautifully remastered. You have arguably one the best rhythm sections in prog teaming with the best prog keyboard player ( yes I did say that!) . My only slight disappointment is that the Radio One In Concert Broadcast is far too short (only about 40 minutes) but any fans of ELP , Rick Wakeman etc should gobble this up. 

Cool. So you got yours already? I pre-ordered it a while ago, but have still to receive my copy. Usually takes a few more days to get things in the mail where I live.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 03 2019 at 06:11

the best prog keyboard player ( yes I did say that!) .  

Now I'm sure you've been kidnapped by aliens.

Date Posted: September 03 2019 at 06:49
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, I don't know if I would say that Moraz is the "best", but he is surely one of very few that could stand in for both Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman.

Date Posted: September 04 2019 at 00:40
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, I don't know if I would say that Moraz is the "best", but he is surely one of very few that could stand in for both Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman.

indeed! Emerson is my hero but being involved in 2 such great albums in the same year elevated Moraz to another level.

btw I can confirm that I am safe and sound at home and not aware of having been probed in highly sensitive areas (not by aliens anyway) Wink

Date Posted: September 04 2019 at 00:42
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Cool. So you got yours already? I pre-ordered it a while ago, but have still to receive my copy. Usually takes a few more days to get things in the mail where I live.

Yes came over the weekend. I still order from Amazon (to my shame?!) but they do generally get the stuff out very quick.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 04 2019 at 13:52
I'm getting this one for sure. Thanks for the info.

Date Posted: September 04 2019 at 14:31

I got mine today. Didn't have the chance to listen yet, but it looks great. I ordered it straight from Cherry Red Records which always works perfectly.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk