Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120912
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Proggers that Nobody Hates
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: Proggers that Nobody Hates
Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 18:42
You always hear of people who don't like Phil Collins or Steve Howe for "ruining the band". It's not uncommon to see people say they think Roger Waters or Steven Wilson are arrogant. So I thought it would be funny to make a thread of people who seem to be universally liked by every prog fan.

The first names that come to mind for me are:

Peter Gabriel
Tony Banks
Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 18:48
I agree with your list but also:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

As you can see with some of these being dead has it's advantages. ;)

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:03
Everybody seems to like Dave Gilmour and Rick Wright and Nick Mason. 

-------------

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:20
I've never heard of anyone who says s/he doesn't like John Myung of Dream Theater.

Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

There’s def people who hate SW, maybe some Emerson haters among the critics

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 23:21
There are people who like Peter Hammill's voice. There are people who dislike Peter Hammill's voice. But everyone seems to like Peter Hammill as a person.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 08 2019 at 23:52
Tony Banks doesn't get off scot free either. His dispute with Hackett helped ruin the band in many eyes.

Greg Lake (RIP) was a bit of a 'control freak' and didn't seem to like a lot of Emerson's ideas yet wasn't exactly a fountain of new ideas himself. I would have put Carl Palmer on the list who seems a genuinely relaxed and nice guy who just became weary of Emerson's and Lake's bickering.

Peter Gabriel seems reasonable. He made the sensible decision to leave rather than deal with Banks and Hackett.

Nick Mason - yep harmless and seemed to distant himself from the whole Waters/Wright/Gilmour headbutting.

Steven Wilson - lol , surely a joke?

As a band I would put Rush well up there. All three have supported each other like a family and I don't remember anyone questing their personalities. Of course Lifeson has been in trouble with the authorities but it doesn't seem to have come back on him too much, helps he's a charming bloke!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 06:47

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

I'll take a pass on Steven Wilson . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 07:14
Peter Gabriel
Peter Hammill
Kate Bush
Andy Latimer
Gilmour, Wright & Mason
Syd Barrett
John Wetton
Carl Palmer
Alan Holdsworth
Rick Wakeman
John Mitchell

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 07:50
Tony Banks doesn't get off scot free either. His dispute with Hackett helped ruin the band in many eyes.

Banks is my fav keyboardist--I consider him a real genius---but his arrogance with Steve and dismissive attitude is very childish. Years ago Steve asked him to play on a solo album--he said yes and then cancelled at the last minute. Plus he won't play with Steve in any reunion unless Peter was there too. We all know that the 4 of them--sans Peter--- produced amazing music and concerts . 

Steve Hackett is all round great guy--and much beloved by his fans who he is very friendly to.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 08:05
I would  add Steve Hackett and Martin Barre and Carl Palmer to the list. Some people might not like them, but not really hate them. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 12:54
I know for certain nobody "hates" Wendy Carlos and Vangelis.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Rrattlesnake
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 15:05
Daevid Allen, can't go wrong with him

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 15:22
Thought I would weigh in on some of the members of Triumvirat that I know something about...

Juergen Fritz-I acknowledge him to be a musical genius, no less, but he seems to be totally oblivious to the value of Triumvirat, hasn't lifted a finger in promotion of the band in any way for decades, and it seems like he could care less!

Helmut Koellen-it has been over 40 years since he died, and some people who knew him say they still miss him very much. His surviving sister still loves him dearly, I know that for a fact.

Hans Bathelt-I have heard from someone who dealt with him about Triumvirat that he is an incredibly nice person to deal with.

Barry Palmer-I have communicated with him directly, and he is a pretty nice and down to earth bloke. Couldn't imagine someone hating him! 

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I would have put Carl Palmer on the list who seems a genuinely relaxed and nice guy who just became weary of Emerson's and Lake's bickering.

So let's back this up with some cold hard facts shall we??

First concert of the original ASIA tour, London Ontario, I go early to the venue and smooze my way in for the soundcheck. Brought along the debut LP sleeve with the band pictures on it for signing. Long story short...Carl and I have a brief but lovely discussion about my deep love of everything ELP, he graciously signs the cover and then while he's tuning his drums he asks my advice on the tuning of his toms.

Geoff Downes was equally accommodating, after signing the sleeve I mention to him that I'm a soundman for a keyboard oriented band, he literally grabs my arm and hauls me up on stage to show me his Fairlight, showing it off like a kid at christmas. Super nice guy.

Now...Mr Howe, a bit of an snot IMHO and Mr. Wetton was just indifferent.

So, absolutely YES. Carl Palmer is a genuinely nice guy.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

There’s def people who hate SW, maybe some Emerson haters among the critics

There's people who hate Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford too but I figured if you had them on your list I could have SW and KE. 

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:33

You always hear of people who don't like Phil Collins or Steve Howe for "ruining the band". It's not uncommon to see people say they think Roger Waters or Steven Wilson are arrogant. So I thought it would be funny to make a thread of people who seem to be universally liked by every prog fan.

The first names that come to mind for me are:

Peter Gabriel
Tony Banks
Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

I don't like Tony Banks and Jon Anderson very much (I talk about them as musicians, not persons). Mason? Hmmm so and so.

I really do like Gabriel and Bruford... Bruford is one of the best drummer ever.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:36

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

I dont like Wetton (as singer) very much and I cant stand Emerson and Palmer  for their excessive virtuosity.

I love Squire and Lake.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2019 at 18:36
I love Danger Money. Now if only that Emerson, Wetton & Palmer album had happened! (:

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:13
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

apart from Tony Palmer Wink

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:16
I didn't think the thread was about music taste so I don't understand the comments about excessive virtuosity which is entirely subjective anyway. If you don't like something don't listen to it. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:48
I can't think of anyone who hates Brian Eno, he's made huge contributions to prog, glam and pop-rock over the years.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 02:02

Peter Gabriel
Tony Banks
Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

not particularly a fan of these dudes, TBH

They all have a certain form of arrogance that I don't like (I prefer Roger Waters' TBH), but at least Wakeman is funny and Emo honest about himself being a prick.

Originally posted by Rrattlesnake Rrattlesnake wrote:

Daevid Allen, can't go wrong with him

StarClapStarClapClapStarClapStarClapStar

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 06:39
Proggers that Nobody Hates...that narrows it down quite a bit.
Uhh... I guess I've never really heard much hate for Peter Hammill,and for good reason.

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 08:51
Does anyone dislike Steve Hackett? I can’t imagine why.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 08:55
The Phish boys of course.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:50
John Jowitt, Mike Holmes and Martin Orford from IQ.
Tony Levin.
Jordan Rudess
Pete Trewavas
Brian May
Allan Morse and Dave Meros
Fully agree with the 3 members of Rush

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:22
met a few when I worked at a UK venue few years ago

my fav were guys from gryphon who were all lovely and regaled tales of their Madison square gigs in 70s.  easily the nicest person I have ever spoken to was Guy Evans who spent 40 mins pre-gig chatting and being an all round nice guy 

won't name the nobs but I met a few.. actually its usually the tour manager who were dicks trying to justify their existence.

-------------
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

apart from Tony Palmer Wink

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:09
Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:32
This subject reminds me of this 80s country song that my cousin loved so much.  LOL

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

Oh man there's 100% neal morse haters, most of his solo albums have like 5% 1 stars. But at the same time, whenever a new Neal Morse album comes out, it seems hundreds of silent morse fans come out of the woods with 5 star ratings to balance it out.

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:35

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

Oh man there's 100% neal morse haters, most of his solo albums have like 5% 1 stars. But at the same time, whenever a new Neal Morse album comes out, it seems hundreds of silent morse fans come out of the woods with 5 star ratings to balance it out.
That's because of his religious tones, but the guy is very likeable irregardless of his music. Wife and I have met him couple times, super nice man.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:54

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

That's because of his religious tones, but the guy is very likeable irregardless of his music. Wife and I have met him couple times, super nice man.

Hate is such a strong word, but most people make enemies at some time in their lives.

He may be a very likable man, but some not only despise his music because of the religious tones, but also the man himself. Ivan was very big detractor when it came to Neal Morse. http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103212&PID=5201524#5201524" rel="nofollow - CLICK for thread Perhaps he's not the only Catholic who was offended by Morse's subject matter.

I din't think Ivan ever said that he hated the man, but he does accuse Morse of hate speech of a kind.

Originally posted by Ivan Ivan wrote:

I didn't tuned this into a hate dialogue, Neal Morse did it when he called the church of 1,300 million people a harlot, our doctrines bloody and our sains Roman gods

If you can't see that, well I can't do anything, even Protestant pastors (Who are not blinded by fatacism) here notice it.

It should be obvious for everybody, because it's more than evident.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:57
Hammill is my favorite musician and I have a very good opinion about him, as a person, for that little I am given to know. 

I'm sorry, though, that he had a fight with Dave Jackson, another person I highly respect, and that this led to a disconnect between the two, of which VdGG were affected.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

Hate is such a strong word, but most people make enemies at some time in their lives.

He may be a very likable man, but some not only despise his music because of the religious tones, but also the man himself. Ivan was very big detractor when it came to Neal Morse. http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103212&PID=5201524#5201524" rel="nofollow - CLICK for thread Perhaps he's not the only Catholic who was offended by Morse's subject matter.

I din't think Ivan ever said that he hated the man, but he does accuse Morse of hate speech of a kind.

Originally posted by Ivan Ivan wrote:

I didn't tuned this into a hate dialogue, Neal Morse did it when he called the church of 1,300 million people a harlot, our doctrines bloody and our sains Roman gods

If you can't see that, well I can't do anything, even Protestant pastors (Who are not blinded by fatacism) here notice it.

It should be obvious for everybody, because it's more than evident.

I'm good with it...Heck there has been worse things said about the church. As a Catholic I take very little offense to not much if any of it at all. 
Last week I went to a concert where the band plays a song about 666, we all sung along and pumped our fists...but I reject Satan emphatically, the song is art. And there are parents who name their kids Damien....

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:22
Were you at a Dwarves show, Catcher? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:24

Were you at a Dwarves show, Catcher? LOL

LOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 22:59
I dare anyone to hate Annie Haslam!  Impossible! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 00:04
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I dare anyone to hate Annie Haslam!  Impossible! 

apparently her feet are very special LOL

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 06:04
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

John Jowitt, Mike Holmes and Martin Orford from IQ

I was about to mention Mike Holmes, and also Peter Nicholls.  If anyone has any reason to not like the former, please say why, and I will then ignore it forthwith....

Martin Orford upset a few people when he left IQ, or maybe for things he said in the aftermath (I can't remember exactly) but I think he was going through some major issues at the time, and we all say things we regret when we're not in a good place....

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:10
It is difficult to say who is a genuinely nice person except by personal contact. A jerk can even be gracious in an interview. I have had few interactions with major Prog stars but have had a few with some lesser known artists: The blokes in Fairport Convention were all super cool, especially Chris Leslie and Dave Pegg who grabbed me at random for a photo for another fan. I wish I had  a copy of that. I also met members of the band Tempest (U.S. version) in the mid-90s. Original guitarist Rob Wullenjohn was super cool and seemed like the nicest guy in the world. I find it gratifying to read the stories of true interactions where the artists are real people happy to connect with their fans. The story of Geoff Downes showing off his equipment like a school boy is simply enchanting.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:26
And with personal contact one can't always tell who is genuinely nice, even with fairly extensive personal contact. There are murderous psychopaths who have seemed really nice and helpful. Many people have good and bad days, and a pretty horrible person may do seeming acts of kindness at one time and despicable things at other times (perhaps to other people). Your neigbour who has been consistently kind to you might also have a sex slave dungeon in the basement, if said person has a basement that is.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:51
I met Alan White once & he seems like the nicest guy.  With all the egos in Yes I have never heard of anyone having a problem with him. 
 (South Side of The Sky playing in the background as I type this)

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:57
Is there really anyone out there that someone doesn't hate? Seems like that doesn't exist in this world. Personally i don't hate anyone but i may not enjoy their particular musical expressions. 

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 11:29

Your neigbour who has been consistently kind to you might also have a sex slave dungeon in the basement, if said person has a basement that is.

Let's be serious Logan. I have never bought this 'mentality of the terrified' (everybody's a potential psychopath) and I think it's better to leave that to young parents who are scared of everything.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 11:54
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I met Alan White once & he seems like the nicest guy.  With all the egos in Yes I have never heard of anyone having a problem with him. 
 (South Side of The Sky playing in the background as I type this)

I agree. I met him and that was my experience also. He even asked my name which is pretty rare(I think the only other musician to do that was Robbie Steinhardt from Kansas).  I'm ok with if it if they don't or aren't super friendly though. Many of these musicians meet tons of people so it's not that big of a deal to them to meet you or get to know you. Jon Anderson was pretty friendly to me too though even though I've heard a lot of stories about him and how he's been a jerk etc. That wasn't my experience though. Another musician considered friendly is Steve Hackett who I only met very briefly once so I don't have much to go on but in the 45 seconds or so I met him he seemed nice for sure. Peter Hammill is another friendly one.

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 12:05
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Your neigbour who has been consistently kind to you might also have a sex slave dungeon in the basement, if said person has a basement that is.

Let's be serious Logan. I have never bought this 'mentality of the terrified' (everybody's a potential psycopath) and I think it's better to leave that to young parents who are scared of everything.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Trust no one.    Potentially there's a crazed communist who may also be a cannibal under one's bed right now. I've heard that there's a red under every bed, but I'm sure most are not cannibals . Well, not my bed, I'm smart, there's no space under my bed for cannibals, red or otherwise, to lurk (under the bed bear traps are more trouble than they are worth, I find).

I'm an older parent, with my youngest being twelve, who has a fantastic fear of everything, but tries to give my kids a sense of freedom.

Apparently about one percent of the population is psychopathic, but that doesn't mean that most are monstrous. You might well have met some very pleasant psychopaths. The barrage of negative news does make people more wary/scared than is warranted.

Statistically, I know that you're much more likely to be struck by lightning multiple times than held captive by a Devil worshiping, country music loving, mustache-twirling, crazed cannibal rapist in a beret with a penchant for fine wine, Cheese Whiz and torture, and owning a pet Gimp.   But that doesn't mean that my irrational side doesn't fear that one day that beret-wearing, mustache-twirling monster might find me and lock me up in my non-beret wearing psychopathic neighbour's sex dungeon, do unspeakable things before covering me with Cheese Whiz, then dine on my delectables.

But I don't want to scare people. You'll probably be fine and manage to avoid those sex-starved cannibals and not get locked up in your neighbour's dungeon.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 12:34
^ If I ever met a real one be sure that he will pass a bad quarter of an hour with me.

Your original post reminded me of something that made me smile: some years ago I asked a girl I barely knew to go out for a drink with me, it was done rather clumsily and she politely declined the invitation, of course. A couple of days later I was telling this little story to one of my female friend...'Are you unconscious?' she asked. 'You don't know her and you asked her to go out with you, just like that?' Absolutely, I said (just like in the good old days). 'and how can she be certain that you don't have a sexual slave in your basement?!?' she asked again. Highly laughable but she was f**king serious man.

Complicated? You bet, baby!

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 14:00
Did you perhaps meet the Count of Tuscany? LOL

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ If I ever met a real one be sure that he will pass a bad quarter of an hour with me.

Your original post reminded me of something that made me smile: some years ago I asked a girl I barely knew to go out for a drink with me, it was done rather clumsily and she politely declined the invitation, of course. A couple of days later I was telling this little story to one of my female friend...'Are you unconscious?' she asked. 'You don't know her and you asked her to go out with you, just like that?' Absolutely, I said (just like in the good old days). 'and how can she be certain that you don't have a sexual slave in your basement?!?' she asked again. Highly laughable but she was f**king serious man.

Complicated? You bet, baby!

In a similar situation, I'd probably make some stupid joke back that might get her to call the cops, or alternately, and this is rather less likely, I'd miss out on an exciting opportunity.

Girl: "And how can she be certain that you don't have a sexual slave in your basement?"

Me: "Hmm, well why don't you come to my basement and find out for yourself?"

Girl: "Well, when you put it that way, shall I bring the bondage gear?"

Me: "Uh, no, I was just kidding around."

Girl (surprised): "Oh, uh well okay then, see you around I guess."

Me: "Wait, I just meant it's just me there and I really don't have any slaves in my mother's basement, mother wouldn't like it, but I would love to...."

Girl hurries off

Me: (to myself) "Doh, what an idiot I am! Looks like it's just me home alone with my deceased mother again."

Not that I live in my mother's basement, but you get the idea. The last bit is just for a Psycho vibe. The truth is funnier than fiction, and the truth is, I   used to often say the wrong things around girls. Still do, but my wife doesn't count, which also sounds like the wrong thing to say.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 14:52
^ Norman Bates guide on how to pick up girls!  LOL

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 18:07
Yep, one in a hundred so I wouldn't really worry about psychopaths if I were you. But one irrefutable and totally undeniable fact, girls, is that we're all depraved perverts bwahahaha

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 11:08
^^ If no one has published "Norman Bates Guide on How to Pick up Girls!" yet, it sounds like a winner. :) Much better than "How to Pick Up That Special Someone in Six Easy to Transport Pieces" But now I'm getting too horrific, which might lead to this PA member being dismembered at the forum.

And yes, men are depraved perverts. It's the ones who pretend not to be of which one sometimes needs to be most wary... Which is kind of like those Proggers who seem really nice, but are sending subliminal codes messages in those complex time signatures that translate to "Forget about buying your girlfriend or spouse something nice on Valentine's Day, buy my music instead! You'll be so much happier".

While I can't say that there'a anybody who nobody hates, one who seemed well-liked by fans is Devin Townsend. The one I'd most like to meet is Robert Wyatt, but I expect he's made some enemies over the years, and his old "God Song" with Matching Mole, his Communism, and his references to Mao, might have inspired some personal hate. Some hate his vocals, but that's another matter. I really haven't looked much into finding out that much about musicians personal lives on the whole, nor save Roger Waters, which followed a hugely embarrassing incident as I had mixed tranquilisers with drink, have I spoken in person to any Prog musicians that I can recall right now.

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 11:51

nor save Roger Waters

Man, that was a quite hilarious story. Ridicule does not kill except when it's done in front of someone like Roger Waters, I can only imagine the look on is face.

Better to laugh than cry, of course, but on the spot it must have been a quite painful and traumatic moment.    

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 12:03
and good call with Devy...definitely one of the boys.

-------------

Posted By: admireArt
Date Posted: September 13 2019 at 01:26
Steve Hillage
&
Conrad Schnitzler
Aidan Baker
Alio Die
Bruce Gilbert
and probably 89% of the PE community , cause you can´t hate who you don´t know. Big smileWink

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: September 13 2019 at 06:57
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

This subject reminds me of this 80s country song that my cousin loved so much.  LOL

Your cousin and me both! I still love it so much.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 13 2019 at 13:16
jon anderson
tony banks
greg lake
rick wakeman
chris squire
carl palmer
steve hackett
john wetton
bill bruford
steve howe

A rather shallow list omitting a few more that probabaly should have come to mind.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: enigma
Date Posted: September 13 2019 at 23:27
A few years ago I watched a documentary about Genesis which included recent interviews with them all.
Tony Banks surprised me as he came across as bitter and humourless, I’ve not liked him ever since.
I love his music with Genesis though.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: September 16 2019 at 06:07
Originally posted by enigma enigma wrote:

A few years ago I watched a documentary about Genesis which included recent interviews with them all.
Tony Banks surprised me as he came across as bitter and humourless, I’ve not liked him ever since.
I love his music with Genesis though.

+1

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: September 18 2019 at 02:29
I'm not sure if Rick Wakeman is universally liked. After all, he's one of the original Grumpy Old Men and I know someone in the music business who's actually met him and they said he really *IS* that grumpy. Smile

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 18 2019 at 06:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm not sure if Rick Wakeman is universally liked. After all, he's one of the original Grumpy Old Men and I know someone in the music business who's actually met him and they said he really *IS* that grumpy. Smile

Not sure about that, I saw him in a music/chat gig last year and he is a very funny guy (good story about Trevor Rabin and a song called "Owner of a Horse and Cart"). He comes across a bit old and grumpy in his column in Prog magazine but I suspect a lot of that is put on.

Date Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:44
Rick is one of the few prog musicians that can engage with an audience, I saw his 'stand up' show a good few years ago and it was great fun. He took great delight in embarrassing his daughter who was standing at the back of the audience! I also loved that he took part in the Keith Emerson Tribute in Birmngham a few years ago as they were not always 'besties' so to speak but he respected Keith and honoured him appropriately. Good guy but yes he does do the 'grumpy' thing well! 

Date Posted: September 19 2019 at 01:55
I like Rick, he can be fun

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: September 19 2019 at 20:57
Does anybody out there hate Roine Stolt? 

Tony Banks is a tough subject for me. He was the guy who is most responsible for what Genesis ended up sounding like. Banks describes all the guys in the band bringing in their snippets of passages into him, and he'd have to arrange them in to a coherent piece of music. Banks explained that when they started writing shorter pieces, the guys had gotten so that they wrote more complete pieces on their own, and he had tired of making the glue progressions. 

However, as a chief member of my favorite band, made my favorite by my favorite guitarist, Banks said flat out, long after the feud with Hackett was known by even tyros, in an interview that Genesis never needed a guitarist. 

-------------
-John

Date Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:43
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

Does anybody out there hate Roine Stolt? 

A bit over the years. He is very grumpy and his music is no where as near as interesting as he thinks it is. Endless double albums with long windy passages that don't really go anywhere is not prog ( or maybe it is?!!). I called him a 'fraud' once and in turn was called a 'troll' for saying it but really there is an element of him that doesn't come across well. I've changed my attitude to him a little in recent years because I feel he has learnt a lot and I enjoy Banks Of Eden and also the project with Jon Anderson.

Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:56
^ Yeah, he seem to have an oversized ego which bugs me a little. He's very good at what he's doing but he certainly didn't invent anything.

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 10:51
I have met. Steve Wilson. The Original IQ dudes and the original Pallas dudes. All seemed very nice and polite. As for Morse, his religious conversion is disappointing for such an obviously intelligent man. His very arrogant dismissal of factual evolution is VERY irritating. But nothing beats the religious hubris of claiming to know the mind of a clearly man made construct. True arrogance is only shown by the fundamentalist religious people. Mind you if we avoided religion, we might have a friendly conversation. However I dont think we could avoid that if we wanted to talk about his music...and that is why he irritates me...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 00:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I have met. Steve Wilson. The Original IQ dudes and the original Pallas dudes. All seemed very nice and polite. As for Morse, his religious conversion is disappointing for such an obviously intelligent man. His very arrogant dismissal of factual evolution is VERY irritating. But nothing beats the religious hubris of claiming to know the mind of a clearly man made construct. True arrogance is only shown by the fundamentalist religious people. Mind you if we avoided religion, we might have a friendly conversation. However I dont think we could avoid that if we wanted to talk about his music...and that is why he irritates me...

I guess we may have to factor in the personal tragedy in his life although Neil Peart has had worse and seems to be a genuine nice bloke (from a distance).

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 07:51
oh that is easy.. and another thread win... not hard when people are tossing of.. SWILSON?? Really...  he got his ass run off this site by the haters...

Richard Sinclair..  never heard a single word bad about him ...  even the 4th diminsional space cadets, contratarians and free thinkers we have seen over the years on this site.. all seemingly love the guy.   

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 11:52
^ haha...didn't his baldy head brother invent that really crappy electric bike?? No way he could avoid being damned via association...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk