Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120922
Printed Date: May 09 2024 at 23:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lamb vs Trick
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: Lamb vs Trick
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 08:32
Gabriel's last or Collins first. Which Genesis do you like better?

Love disc one of The Lamb... In the Cage is the highlight for me. Disc two does not maintain the quality... The Waiting Room, really? Not a song, just noise. Several other songs on disc two seem like filler to me.

Trick on the other hand has no skipper tracks, all tracks are superb. Therefore, my vote is for Trick. 

Replies:
Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:01
It's Trick'. The band had much to prove after Gabriel's exit, and they proved it well. Sure, 'Broadway was a little spotty in places, but it's still a generally good listen. Disagree with you about The Waiting Room. It added some depth to the proceedings at hand.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:03
The lamb, très facilement.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:30
Probably my two favorite Genesis albums.  Going to go with TOTT but Lamb is right behind it. 

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:43
No contest for me - The Lamb.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:13
Trick is the most consistent prog album I can think of, every track is as good as the last in my mind. Lamb is also fantastic. Went with trick.

Proved they could hold their own and they came back with a more refined sound.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:37
Lamb is a prog masterpiece---a 2 disc epic concept album that takes you on a journey. Peter still loves it.
 Trick is a great single disc. Hard to compare a long work from a short work. A single disc is easier to be perfect. So can't vote.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:51
Lamb for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 11:30
Maybe it's heresy, but I'd rather listen to Trick.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:32
Lamb 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:58
Trick 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:06
The Lamb just tops Trick.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:20
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my favourite Genesis album. I enjoy Trick..., but it never had nearly as big an effect on me. Hearing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway at an after show, closing party at a playhouse I worked for played a significant part in me really delving into Prog. I wouldn't discover what it was for quite some time. "Hairless Heart", in particular, made my hairy heart-hairs stand on end.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:58
Lamb......but not by that much.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:53
Trick for me...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:59
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

The lamb, très facilement.

Thumbs Up

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:32
Trick. The Lamb is great sides 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 descend into mythological gobbledygook.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:56
Neither one particularly, really. There are some songs I like a lot on both, but many others I don't really care for.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 17:14
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

No contest for me - The Lamb.
I feel the same. I like Trick a lot, but The Lamb is certainly my favorite of the two.

Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 17:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Trick. The Lamb is great sides 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 descend into mythological gobbledygook.

Agree, and the word gobbledygook sums it up perfectly.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 17:22
Close. I like both very much, but Lamb gets my vote today.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 17:33
like both but Trick is better to me.  Like every Genesis album, it has songs I don't like, but it has more that I like than Lamb (and less that I don't)

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 17:54
Woah... I’m genuinely surprised Lamb”s not running away with it. Voted TotT myself, but Lamb’s widely considered a classic, innit?

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: September 10 2019 at 18:16
Every record with PG starting from NC onward stands over anything they've done after his department. I love ATotT and WaW, sure, but my vote goes to Lamb anyway. Easily and without hesitation.

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 00:30
A Trick of the Tail - my fav Genesis album ever and one of my fav albums ever regardless of genre, maybe in my top 10

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 00:38
Disc One of Lamb just about kills everything else in the prog universe . Disc Two goes off on a wander before coming back to the genius of Disc One. Overall still a great album. Trick is probably my favourite Genesis album after Foxtrot although it's close between those 2. Voted Trick obviously.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 02:17
Lamb all the way on this one.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 02:45
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Probably my two favorite Genesis albums.  Going to go with TOTT but Lamb is right behind it. 

Precisely my position.

Trick is their best overall album IMO, the Lamb is certainly not far behind it. Both brilliant albums in their own right. The Lamb is an experiment, and a successful one, and in prog terms it's ticks most boxes. I love it, and don;t think it really contains anything I would call 'filler' including The Waiting Room.

Trick just about tops it. It's a collection of flawless songs, performed, produced and presented perfectly for my taste, which is why it gets my vote.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 11:37
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Trick is the most consistent prog album I can think of, every track is as good as the last in my mind. Lamb is also fantastic. Went with trick.

Proved they could hold their own and they came back with a more refined sound.

Agreed. Their survival as a band was on the line and Trick of the Tail had to be good or they would have likely not continued. 

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 15:01
Disc 2 of lamb has more good songs than Disc 1. But I still prefer Trick

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 16:46
How can disc 1 be better when anyway and slipper are the best tracks?

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 16:53
Lamb beats Trick for me, although the best Genesis albums are SEBTP, then Foxtrot, then Nursery Cryme

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 18:31
Lamb is their most adventurous album and in many ways their most interesting but to me their most enjoyable is TOTT.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: September 11 2019 at 19:39
If I'm objective then it's Trick, but I have more of an emotional attachment to Lamb.. so didn't vote. Good poll though. 

Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 00:34
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Back in NYC
In The Cage
Carpet Crawlers

those three tracks beats anything on Side Two imo quite easily

the rest are not bad

Humour in prog?
Counting at Time

Mellotron fans
Fly On A Windshield

Poignant thought provoking lyrics?
Chamber of 32 Doors

mainly though it all flows so well

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 05:22
The Lamb easily, great concept story and Disc 2 is as good as Disc 1 no matter what they say.
Love TOTT though.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 06:32
In vinyl terms sides 1-3 of the Lamb are equally good IMO. Side 4 is the weakest.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 08:00
No contest: Trick.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 09:27
(Along with Foxtrot) those are my favorite Genesis LP's but I vote for The Lamb.

My #2 album of all time.

Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 16:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Back in NYC
In The Cage
Carpet Crawlers

those three tracks beats anything on Side Two imo quite easily

the rest are not bad

Humour in prog?
Counting at Time

Mellotron fans
Fly On A Windshield

Poignant thought provoking lyrics?
Chamber of 32 Doors

mainly though it all flows so well

Back in nyc is horrible imo. Anyway, Slipper and Lamia are comfortably the best for me. The cage is pretty solid. Played it yesterday. Good tune. I like cuckoo, lifeless and scree too

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2019 at 18:04
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

(Along with Foxtrot) those are my favorite Genesis LP's but I vote for The Lamb.

My #2 album of all time.

What is your #1 of all time?

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: September 14 2019 at 02:50

Interesting poll.  Trick is Genesis' #1 album for me.
Wow just came back to this poll and it is a tie! Maybe the way it should be for two great albums  

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 14 2019 at 03:05
nice poll, don't know what to pick. LOL

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 14 2019 at 11:27
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Gabriel's last or Collins first. Which Genesis do you like better?

I honestly think that this material was already in the making and that it would have been PG's voice on them a year later ... but ended up being Collins's voice ... more than likely because it was closer to the style that the band wanted, and they thought they would not need to get a new singer.

I think that LAMB is better and the best, and while TRICK has some very nice things and in Santa Barbara I can tell you that Guy Guden played it a lot (I think that the others in the station didn't play it much!!!! Too artsy for them!)

I say that it was likely material that was already being worked on, because after that the material really changed and was not as strong to my ears, in both the music department and in the lyric department ... which suggests that TRICK had some PG in it ... and the rest of the material didn't.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 15 2019 at 01:33
It never really occurred to me that there was any real PG influence on Trick given that it was so different to Lamb. I do think that W&W was a notch down from Trick although I suspect that was more to do with Hackett and Banks not seeing eye to eye so it all became a bit fractured and 'unfocused' to my ears.

Posted By: Howard the Duck
Date Posted: September 15 2019 at 08:25
In my humble opinion, Trick can't hold a candle to Lamb. In terms of musicianship (and arguably songwriting, except for maybe Supper's Ready) it's their artistic peak as far as I'm concerned (but probably not their peak in terms of production/mastering).

Trick for me has a solid string of songs from Mad Man Moon to Ripples, but the rest is largely sub-par for me (and Squonk is one of my all-time least favorite songs by the band).

Imo a fairer poll might be Trespass vs. Trick (and I wouldn't vote for Trick even then :P)

Back in NYC

Back in nyc is horrible imo.

Some of the NYC covers reveal it to be a pretty great song:

The same can even be said of Squonk - I don't mind some of the covers as much as the original. (I think both are Rutherford compositions also.) I just really enjoy Peter's delivery on the original, even if the song itself might not be that amazing otherwise.

-------------
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Date Posted: September 16 2019 at 00:11
Trick was a big departure from everything they had done before and that is quite understandable. Trick displays a lot of muscle and Rutherford's use of Taurus bass pedals on Squonk is a particular highlight of the album for me (my hi-fi loves that track!). The only slightly weak moment is Robbery, Assault and Battery which again indulges Collins a bit too much with the cheeky Cockney persona he seemed to be cultivating at the time. Still not a bad track though and the drumming from Collins is as good as it gets! Genesis really went up a notch as a live band and that was where much of their late seventies success stemmed from ( not so attributable to 'hits' as is often assumed) . Of course there will always be a lot of affection for the Gabriel era and it would be strange if there wasn't but I've always preferred my prog to have bombast and balls rather than clever literary references!

Date Posted: September 16 2019 at 00:23
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

In my humble opinion, Trick can't hold a candle to Lamb. In terms of musicianship (and arguably songwriting, except for maybe Supper's Ready) it's their artistic peak as far as I'm concerned (but probably not their peak in terms of production/mastering).

Trick for me has a solid string of songs from Mad Man Moon to Ripples, but the rest is largely sub-par for me (and Squonk is one of my all-time least favorite songs by the band).

Imo a fairer poll might be Trespass vs. Trick (and I wouldn't vote for Trick even then :P)

Back in NYC

Back in nyc is horrible imo.

Some of the NYC covers reveal it to be a pretty great song:

The same can even be said of Squonk - I don't mind some of the covers as much as the original. (I think both are Rutherford compositions also.) I just really enjoy Peter's delivery on the original, even if the song itself might not be that amazing otherwise.

I heard another good cover of Back In NYC by a band called Tin Spirits who probably deserve a bit more love and recognition.

Squonk has to be one of the most plagiarised tracks in prog (after Entangled!) Trick practically laid down the neo prog playbook! 

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 25 2019 at 20:17
The Lamb. Best album ever. Side 3 is the best.

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Love disc one of The Lamb... In the Cage is the highlight for me. Disc two does not maintain the quality... The Waiting Room, really? Not a song, just noise. Several other songs on disc two seem like filler to me.
The Waiting Room is Prog. It’s what Prog is all about. Experimentation; Not being constrained by conventional structure, making creative use of new timbres. King Crimson recorded something similar with Providence from Red the very same year.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 14:33
My favourite Genesis album overall is the first one, "From Genesis To Revelation", produced by Jonathan King. My choice for this poll is "Trick of the Tail", mainly because it includes one of my favourite Genesis songs, "Ripples". The poll is very evenly balanced at the moment with 36 votes for each album.

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 04:43
Oh, it must be The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
A Trick of the Tail is a solid record, in my opinion a bit more advanced and interesting then subsequent Wind & Wuthering... and I definitely like how Genesis comes back to Lewis Carroll days on ATOTT album cover. But Lamb has too much quality material and isn't as saccharine as later releases... it's also more adventurous.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:32
The Lamb

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk