Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121010
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 10:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gentle Giant vs Jethro Tull
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Gentle Giant vs Jethro Tull
Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 17:31
This should be interesting as well as close. 

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 17:54
JT

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 19:06
Tull the best band ever. GG aren’t far behind though

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 19:25
GG did better in the renaissance festival poll which is kind of where I got the idea to have them go up against each other one on one.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 20:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Close but not close.  
Not close in that I expect Tull to take it walking away, vote wise.
But not close in the sense that while Tull may get the preponderance of votes, most of those voters wouldn't put GG very far behind.  

Think of it in boxing terms scoring on the 10 point must system.  Tull might beat, say, REO Speedwagon by 10-6 in each round, but they're only going to beat GG 10-9 in each round.  So it's still going to be closer to a unanimous decision than a split decision, but the overall point differential would be relatively small.  

Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 20:59
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Close but not close.  
Not close in that I expect Tull to take it walking away, vote wise.
But not close in the sense that while Tull may get the preponderance of votes, most of those voters wouldn't put GG very far behind.  

Think of it in boxing terms scoring on the 10 point must system.  Tull might beat, say, REO Speedwagon by 10-6 in each round, but they're only going to beat GG 10-9 in each round.  So it's still going to be closer to a unanimous decision than a split decision, but the overall point differential would be relatively small.  

Well, you have certainly thought about it a lot more than I have. 

I think there's a lot of people who grew up with Tull where as even with some of the older prog fans they only first heard of GG in the past twenty years or so so TUll has a longer history in the pantheon of classic rock which is usually where most proggers start anyway.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 20 2019 at 21:06
Tull, by about a light year or three.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Run Home Slow
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 00:31
What about no winner... both equally too good to lose :)

-------------
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 00:41
I do find it interesting that Tull are held in such high esteem. Although I like them and recognise that Ian Anderson is a very intelligent fellow , I don't see much about them that screams 'innovative'. They did create their own niche and traversed the blues rock /prog/folk thing very well. But I feel that really I'm happy to listen to Thick as A Brick and leave it at that most of the time. They did make Christmas music listenable as well! Gentle Giant on the other hand were an absolutely fascinating band up to and including Interview. They practically re-invented themselves constantly and there is a fluidity of ideas that is impressive. I don't like everything and I struggle to 'get' In A Glass House and Three Friends but that never stops me from going back and wanting to listen to them weirdly. I can't think of many bands that are like that.While Tull invented a formula , GG invented new music.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 01:17

I think there's a lot of people who grew up with Tull where as even with some of the older prog fans they only first heard of GG in the past twenty years or so so TUll has a longer history in the pantheon of classic rock which is usually where most proggers start anyway.
I'm in this group.

I'm not really a fan of either group, but Jethro Tull easily gets my vote.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 02:10
GG is like the logical conclusion of Tull's sound if they went to that extreme. I happen to prefer that sound to Tull. So, therefore, GG all the way (and always).

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 05:39
I am a big follower of both bands since the '70s.

Tull were far more consistent and actually did change musical styles on numerous occasions (for the better; in most cases).

Yes, GG were more adventurous than JT but they polarized more listeners than Tull ever did....

and then there's the 1978 album Giant For A Day........Tull never ventured into crap territory such as that; they didn't have to, as they sold millions with each album; while GG barely sold any albums at all and finally succumbed to financial pressures associated with their stance on being progressive to the point of, as they stated, "being very unpopular".

Their music didn't pay the bills....they "gave in", went down the popular route and failed. But I must say, I love all their albums from 1970-76 and I really do love side 2 of The Missing Piece....and even Civilian is a winner in my eyes.

But Tull all the way.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 05:48
Actually really hard ngl, I think Tull my get my vote, TAAB and Songs from the Wood are better than any gentle giant imo

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 07:20
its about equal for my second tier of prog bands I like---although I probably listen to GG best album more than Tull's.

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 08:25
I don't consider them second tier prog bands. GG are maybe on the bubble between first and second tier(at the most)depending on your perspective. I think in this day and age maybe there should be a re-evaluation of the terms first and second tier.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

and then there's the 1978 album Giant For A Day........Tull never ventured into crap territory such as that

Really? How about Underwraps?

Giant gets my vote.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 08:55
One of the closest polls I've ever seen, at least for me, but I will vote for Tull, since they had the amazing Martin Barre on guitar.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 09:47
I like some GG but I think they had a habit of putting too much stuff into their songs and they tend to show off a bit. Tull are a mixed bag overall, but they have some six or seven albums that I really love to pieces and three or four further ones that are pretty good. Some of their music is among my most treasured, so the vote goes to them. 

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 09:58
From what I understand it was never GG's intention to "show off." They had the experience and musical knowledge to make intricate and interesting music and used their skills to do that. I used to think the same thing though that they were trying to upstage other bands and be better than everyone else and were like "hey, look at us" but then I spoke to someone who was a very big fan and he didn't think that was the case. I don't really think most musicians are about showing off anyway. I think that tends to be the fans perspective not the bands. I could be wrotg though. Who knows for sure.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 10:48

GG did better in the renaissance festival poll which is kind of where I got the idea to have them go up against each other one on one.
I was one of the votes for GG in that poll, in fact. GG did make believably authentic Medieval music when they wanted to. But framed as which I out and out like better, it's Tull by a mile.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 11:24

From what I understand it was never GG's intention to "show off." They had the experience and musical knowledge to make intricate and interesting music and used their skills to do that. I used to think the same thing though that they were trying to upstage other bands and be better than everyone else and were like "hey, look at us" but then I spoke to someone who was a very big fan and he didn't think that was the case. I don't really think most musicians are about showing off anyway. I think that tends to be the fans perspective not the bands. I could be wrotg though. Who knows for sure.

I think you're right about not showing off, but I think the criticism of putting too much in they're songs still stands imo. They never gave their material room to breathe.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 13:04
jethro tull for me.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 13:13
Both made great albums, but I enjoy more listening to GG, they were more unique. And this even when I was familiar with Tull much earlier than I got to know GG, which is unusual, usually the bands I met earliest have a deeper impact on me, but in this case GG gets my vote.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:13
I like listening to the Thick as a Brick album, and I've heard a few other thing from them on classic rock radio like Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, etc. All pretty good, I like it. But this is Gentle FREAKING Giant we're talking about here.. come on now.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:28

You may be right that they didn't do it on purpose... I'm writing about my listening experience and my subjective impressions, but I can't know their intentions. Chances are their songs seemed properly right to them emotionally and musically, and I just can't connect that well (occasionally I can). But then people don't know themselves what goes on subconsciously.

Let's say there's always a certain danger to get carried away by one's own abilities.

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:53
Compare years.
1970 Tull-Teacher and Witches promise are rippers
1971 Tull-2 albums worth of tunes, but Acquiring is cool 
1972 Tull-Friends is great but Thick greater
1973-Tull-Close call between Passion and Glass but Tull also have Left right and Audition
1974 Tull-Power is GG's best maybe and better than Warchild, but Tulls 2 albums worth is stronger 
1975 Giant-Freehand is cool and Minstrel is Tull at their weakest
1976 Tull-Interview is better than Too old but I love Commercial, Cigar, Cartoon etc. Great outtakes
1977 Tull-Songs from the wood and Old aces is quality
1978 Tull-Horses is very good while Giant average
1979 Tull-2 albums worth will be awesome but I do like Civilian 

Giant were pretty competitive most years though

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:55
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

You may be right that they didn't do it on purpose... I'm writing about my listening experience and my subjective impressions, but I can't know their intentions. Chances are their songs seemed properly right to them emotionally and musically, and I just can't connect that well (occasionally I can). But then people don't know themselves what goes on subconsciously.

Let's say there's always a certain danger to get carried away by one's own abilities.

I think the band most guilty of that(if anyone is)would be ELP. However, I like GG and ELP so it was never really a problem for me.

As for the criticism(by the other person who responded)of them putting too much in their music well that's kind of subjective. What one person might think is too much someone else might think is not enough and apparently there are other bands more complex than GG(some of the RIO bands for example). I would like some specific examples of what you guys think is too much. There are some moments on Free Hand where I think maybe they go a little overboard but other than that I don't hear it much. Then again different ears hear different things. 

For me what GG accomplished that other bands didn't was their ability to make music that was very melodic yet at the same time very complex. For me that is the goal for prog. Most bands seem to focus on one or the other but GG did what most bands couldn't do and for that alone they should be applauded. That being said I understand the criticisms and even for my own personal taste I prefer Camel and VDGG although GG do deserve the respect they get and outside of hardcore prog circles are indeed pretty under rated.

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 16:59

I think the band most guilty of that(if anyone is)would be ELP. However, I like GG and ELP so it was never really a problem for me.

As for the criticism(by the other person who responded)of them putting too much in their music well that's kind of subjective. What one person might think is too much someone else might think is not enough and apparently there are other bands more complex than GG(some of the RIO bands for example). I would like some specific examples of what you guys think is too much. There are some moments on Free Hand where I think maybe they go a little overboard but other than that I don't hear it much. Then again different ears hear different things. 

For me what GG accomplished that other bands didn't was their ability to make music that was very melodic yet at the same time very complex. For me that is the goal for prog. Most bands seem to focus on one or the other but GG did what most bands couldn't do and for that alone they should be applauded. That being said I understand the criticisms and even for my own personal taste I prefer Camel and VDGG although GG do deserve the respect they get and outside of hardcore prog circles are indeed pretty under rated.

GG were a great band. The best music is the melodic stuff. Always will be. My fave 6 bands are probably tull, le orme, giant, camel, graaf, magma in that order. Le Orme are awesome

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 17:49
Well if they had gotten into a fight, only Jethro Tull came out alive.  For me it's an equal.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

and then there's the 1978 album Giant For A Day........Tull never ventured into crap territory such as that

Really? How about Underwraps?

Giant gets my vote.

When Underwraps was released it was actually a 180 degree turnaround from Broadsword (which I loath). It is a much unwarranted, maligned album IMHO. I actually love it. Martin Barre has stated it is one of his favourites. OK, the drum machine was a bad idea but Anderson (again) went out on a limb; it wasn't commercial but most tracks are in my opinion decent; yes, there are a couple of stinkers but there are also some gems. So no, Tull never went into crap territory that GG went to....a la Giant For A Day.

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 18:59
^I've never actually heard it but what is it you hate so much about Broadsword?

Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 20:33
Broadsword should be a ripper remix. Wilson just needs to fix up the drums on Beastie and Jackalynn etc. He’ll improve every song but some songs have sh*t drums and need to be fixed

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 21 2019 at 20:46
Tull

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:00
Tull gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

GG were a great band. The best music is the melodic stuff. Always will be. My fave 6 bands are probably tull, le orme, giant, camel, graaf, magma in that order. Le Orme are awesome

I guess everyone's perception of melodic is different.  With few exceptions I see Gentle Giant as quite the opposite, while I think Tull is usually pretty melodic

Date Posted: September 22 2019 at 09:53
^Well, maybe I'm not typical but for me melodic is not the be all end all. It can be very important but it's not the only thing that makes something good. I can even think of one album I consider great that isn't very melodic at all and that is "phaedra" by Tangerine Dream.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: September 22 2019 at 15:07
GG for me. I bought their vinyls so long ago. So many master pieces I still enjoy almost 50 years after!

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: September 22 2019 at 17:08
I love GG but my vote goes to Tull. They have had much more impact on me for all those passed years (and it's more than 35 years I've heard JT for the very first time).

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 01:34

^I've never actually heard it but what is it you hate so much about Broadsword?

It's the only Tull album that has an "outside" producer in Paul Samwell-Smith.

I remember when I first heard it I was looking for something akin to "A", which was their previous album. But they took a backward step (IMHO), it had a very commercial sound to it and to me it's very over-produced.

A number of songs are sickly sweet e.g. Pussywillow, Flying Colours, Slow Marching Band and no track to me stands out.

Watching Me, Watching You is about the only song on the album that I would probably listen to and everything else is commercialized crap. So yes BATB is actually my least favourite Tull album.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 06:24
love Gentle Giant

but i have to go with Tull

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 06:52
Gentle Giant. More consistent. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 14:11
Tull.........for me...more accessible.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 14:33

Right.

Gentle Giant does not have a Thick as a Brick, but Jethro Tull does not have 8 excellent albums in a row.

I pick Gentle Giant.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 14:54
Voted for Tull - Gentle Giant is a little hit or miss for me. 

Date Posted: September 23 2019 at 15:37
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Right.

Gentle Giant does not have a Thick as a Brick, but Jethro Tull does not have 8 excellent albums in a row.

I pick Gentle Giant.

Post of the year candidate?

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 00:04
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Right.

I pick Gentle Giant.

Post of the year candidate?

Tull burn LOL I had to count the GG albums but yes there really is eight and that's not including Playing The Fool!

Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 04:36

Right.

I pick Gentle Giant.

No, but Tull have 11 out of 12 that are excellent albums from 69-80 and that's not counting Bursting Out.
Too Old To Rock N Roll To Young to Die is, in my opinion, their only poor album between those years. And don't bring up War Child and A not being excellent...they are!

Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 05:24

Right.

I pick Gentle Giant.

No, but Tull have 11 out of 12 that are excellent albums from 69-80 and that's not counting Bursting Out.
Too Old To Rock N Roll To Young to Die is, in my opinion, their only poor album between those years. And don't bring up War Child and A not being excellent...they are!

I quite like the remix of Too old. Wish they got to finish the 2nd album. The half album we got sounds like real Tull. Would have smashed the sound track. 1975 is Tulls weakest year of that era I think. You can make a dozen great albums if you choose your own track list from each remix

-------------

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 08:27

Right.

I pick Gentle Giant.

I second this!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 09:31
7 in a row, I'll give 'em that (starting with Interview, barely good to bad, you know what I mean, Civilian is the exception, I've always liked it). 

Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 09:37
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

7 in a row, I'll give 'em that (starting with Interview, barely good to bad, you know what I mean, Civilian is the exception, I've always liked it). 

From what I understand most people seem to think Missing Piece is the one where they dropped the ball and not Interview. Interview while a step down is still better than anything after it especially from a prog perspective.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 09:46
for me.... Tull has 11 excellent albums

GG  has  8

the worst Tull album  ( Under Wraps )

is still better than the last 3 GG albums

easy vote for Tull

but thats just me :)

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 16:44
The only Tull album I've been able to get into so far is Thick as a Brick, but I like it a lot. From GG the only album I don't like is Giant for a Day. The Missing Piece is good, come on. And, as Cristi said, I even like Civilian(some jammin tunes on that one). So slam dunk for Gentle Giant(against almost anyone).

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 24 2019 at 22:56
^ Try some of their live albums. I love Live Bursting Out and Live at Montreux. After hearing the live versions of Tull's songs, I can barely enjoy the studio ones by comparison.

Date Posted: September 25 2019 at 18:42
Ok, thanks bud I'll give those a try. JT is a band I'd like to get into, they seem popular on here and don't seem to be evil or anything like that(like Opeth etc). So yeah I'll try it.

Date Posted: September 26 2019 at 16:01
Tull have tonnes of cool songs. I’d say double what the great GG have. Eg

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 26 2019 at 18:01
GG by a prog mile!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 14:23
I've never been that keen on Gentle Giant, so Jethro Tull is the obvious choice for me.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 23:34
I can't pick. Aside from a few tracks I don't know Tull's music all that much. Give me a few years LOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 16 2020 at 02:34
^^^^ Update; 3 months later 😂😂😂,  I've listened to every album by Tull from their 1968 debut This Was to 1977's Songs from the Wood and I must say I love their stuff already. I still need to listen to most of their stuff though (about 11 albums left). Gentle Giant on the other hand is one of my most beloved bands and one that didn't release anything bad in my opinion so they're great (of course that's just my opinion). I'm loving Tull right now, so much so that I think they're neck and neck. Is that wrong of me to say?? 🤔

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:32
Jethro Tull represents me prog that I love really much.
Gentle Giant represents me prog that I donīt like at all.

Date Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:34

The only Tull album I've been able to get into so far is Thick as a Brick, but I like it a lot. From GG the only album I don't like is Giant for a Day. The Missing Piece is good, come on. And, as Cristi said, I even like Civilian(some jammin tunes on that one). So slam dunk for Gentle Giant(against almost anyone).
Have you tried "A Passion Play"? Not as great as Thick, but really close! I believe you will also like "Songs From the Wood" & "Heavy Horses" -albums, "Minstreal In the Gallery" is really great too!

Date Posted: January 16 2020 at 16:53
^ Hey friend. I've seen A Passion Play mentioned on here a few times before and meant to listen to it, but you know.. so many albums so little time. But if you listen to The Power and The Glory all the way through and give it an honest chance then I will listen to A Passion Play.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: January 16 2020 at 18:05
Both equally.

Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull are two of my favourite bands, that is, I like to listen very often to their albums, expecially:

- Gentle Giant / Acquiring the Taste / Octopus / The Power and The Glory / Free Hand / The Missing Piece
GG live

- Stand Up / Benefit / Aqualung / A Passion Play / Minstrell in the Gallery / Songs From The Wood.

They are very good albums, they give me pleasure but.... but...

If I dont change idea, I see only two little masterpieces: Gentle Giant I (9+ in my ranking) and Aqualung (9 in my ranking). So, no Gentle Giant albums and no JT albums will fit into my  finale 30 or 40 album chart.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 01:49

^ Hey friend. I've seen A Passion Play mentioned on here a few times before and meant to listen to it, but you know.. so many albums so little time. But if you listen to The Power and The Glory all the way through and give it an honest chance then I will listen to A Passion Play.
Sorry, mate! I have given IMO too many changes to GG, as you said too many albums to listen & too little time. Itīs just some bands/artists you canīt like them at all. Also, if you donīt have sparkle to listen Jethro, why you will listen it? Everybody just donīt have to like everything. I of course like to recommend my favorite artists, but really donīt expect everybody like them.

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 20:46
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Sorry, mate! I have given IMO too many changes to GG, as you said too many albums to listen & too little time. Itīs just some bands/artists you canīt like them at all. Also, if you donīt have sparkle to listen Jethro, why you will listen it? Everybody just donīt have to like everything. I of course like to recommend my favorite artists, but really donīt expect everybody like them.

Yeah ok I understand, you feel you've given GG enough chances already. I'll probably still listen to A Passion Play at some point. I like Thick as a Brick a lot so maybe I'll like that one as well.

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 00:59

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Yeah ok I understand, you feel you've given GG enough chances already. I'll probably still listen to A Passion Play at some point. I like Thick as a Brick a lot so maybe I'll like that one as well.
Have to say, that I was quite disappointed at first to "a Passion Play". Although itīs also album length entity like "Thick", itīs a little bit different, maybe darker. But with some years and many listens I started to love it also. Maybe you should first listen "Songs From the Wood", it has somehow same spirit as "Thick", also this song is one of my big Jethro favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG77YHX5yYE" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG77YHX5yYE

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 21:56
Oh, that was nice. Thanks for posting it. Maybe this is a band I've overlooked because they play on the radio too much. Too many good bands lol. I've been listening to Univers Zero lately, they're honestly good I like them. But I'll get back to Jethro Tull one of these days I'm sure.

Edit: I just tried to vote for GG again to break the tie and it said "You have already voted in this poll" Oh well.

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:46

Oh, that was nice. Thanks for posting it. Maybe this is a band I've overlooked because they play on the radio too much. Too many good bands lol. I've been listening to Univers Zero lately, they're honestly good I like them. But I'll get back to Jethro Tull one of these days I'm sure.

Edit: I just tried to vote for GG again to break the tie and it said "You have already voted in this poll" Oh well.
Well, somebody else seemed to vote for you. Jethro has been one of the biggest faves to me since I started to listen prog. And really there are not many times Iīve heard it played on the radio in Finland. I think the last song from them in the radio Iīve heard was "Locomotive Breath". If you start to listen them more, concentrate on their 60-70 -albums. Theyīre the greatest, only "Too Old to RīN`R" is little bit weaker, but also thatīs better than any of their after seventies album. I really love also their four first albums before Thick, but theyīre not as prog as Thick and after that albums. Probably "Benefit" is little bit underrated, really great album. Have to mention also I saw them live once, it was one of my best gigs.

Yes, there a huge amount of great music in the world, but I think itīs just great thing, I donīt think I will ever get bored with music!

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 22:04
^ Here in the USA they play a fair amount on classic rock radio. Songs like Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, Living in the Past, Cross Eyed Mary, etc. Them Pink Floyd and Rush are kind of overexposed on the radio here. Whereas a band like Gentle Giant NEVER plays on the radio, that's part of what I love about them.

But like you say, huge amount of great music in the world.. not to mention classical music which I love to listen to also. I'll never get bored of it all either my friend.

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 02:05

^ Here in the USA they play a fair amount on classic rock radio. Songs like Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, Living in the Past, Cross Eyed Mary, etc. Them Pink Floyd and Rush are kind of overexposed on the radio here. Whereas a band like Gentle Giant NEVER plays on the radio, that's part of what I love about them.

But like you say, huge amount of great music in the world.. not to mention classical music which I love to listen to also. I'll never get bored of it all either my friend.
Here in Finland is only one channel (itīs name is Nostalgia) that plays old, great music (really soon going to be bored Creamīs White Room, such a shame because I have loved that song, but luckily only part of my work I have chance to listen radio) but they also never played Jethro, Pink Floyd or Rush or anything else thatīs even near of prog. I quess prog is again a swear word in Finland.

I listen also a little classical music, but itīs never been in a big part in my music listening. Really love anyway Sibelius & Mussorgsky!

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 15:01
Gentle Giant at their best are in a different league to Tull at their best. GG quite possibly produced some of the very finest (not to mention highly original) Prog.  
Much of Tull's output lacks focus for me. 

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 17:26
Gentle Giant for me!

Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 02:16
I am an enormous fan of both bands and have been following Tull since 1972 and GG since 1977.

I am also an avid record and CD collector of both bands.

As far as prog goes; GG wins hands down.

As far as musical consistency and shivers down the spine go; it's Tull.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

One of the closest polls I've ever seen, at least for me, but I will vote for Tull, since they had the amazing Martin Barre on guitar.

Like Manuel said

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk