Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121111
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 11:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Neo-Prog Band
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Favourite Neo-Prog Band
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 06:28
I included as many major Neo-Prog bands as I could in my poll, but my apologies if I omitted your favourite artist. Listed below is my A-Z guide to Neo-Prog artists. It's not intended as an all-inclusive, fully comprehensive guide. It's just a brief overview of the major artists in the Neo-Prog genre with the number of studio albums by each artist included in brackets.

Abel Ganz (6)
Amon Ra (2)
Anathema (11)
Anubis (5)
Arena (9)
Astra (2)

Balloon Astronomy (1)
Big Big Train (12)
Bobel (1)
Bruce Soord & Jonas Renkse (1)

Colin Masson (4)
Credo (3)
Crippled Black Phoenix (10)
Crystal Palace (8)

Daal  (7)

Earthstone (1)
Echolyn (9)
Eurhybia (1)
Explorers Club (2)

Final Conflict (6)
Fish (10)
Five-O-One AM (1)
The Flower Kings (13)
Flying Colours (3)
Frost* (3)

Galahad (9)
Gazpacho (10)
Grace (4)

Homesick for Space (2)
Hostsonaten (8)

IQ (12)
Islands (4)
It Bites (5)
Izz (9)

Jadis (9)
John Wesley (7)

Karmakanic (5)

Light (1)
Like Wendy (6)

Magenta (7)
Marillion (18)
Mars Volta (6)
Mick Pointer Band (1)

Nad Sylvan (5)
Naryan (1)

This is a work in progress which promises to be quite a long list of Neo-Prog artists, so I'll be adding one letter of the alphabet to the list at a time. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 07:27
I voted It Bites. I don't think The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic are neo prog though.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I voted It Bites. I don't think The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic are neo prog though.

I agree, neither are Echolyn

Posted By: Mudpuppy64
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 07:48
IQ and Pallas

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 07:59
No offense to the original poster but about half of these are not neo prog imo.

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 08:15
I think you should inform yourself what Neo Prog is at all before.
Astra: Heavy Psych Retro Space Rockers, what do you think is Neo Prog about them???
(they can't be further away)

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 08:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No offense to the original poster but about half of these are not neo prog imo.

Agree BIG TIME!!!

It would seem, based upon this sample, that virtually every recent prog artist is a Neo Prog artist (which one could certainly make a case for)! I was expecting a list more conforming to that of PA's database (though I have disagreements with some of those assignations, as well).

P.S. My favorite Neo Prog bands are (in some kind of order): 
Collage
Mystery
Airbag
Edison's Children
Wobbler
Nine Stones Close
The Psychedelic Ensemble
Believe
Quidam
Silhouette
Magenta

though my favorite Neo Prog album is Tony Patterson's Equations of Meaning

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 08:46
Interesting that my three top favorites on this list are not neo-prog artists, but Porcupine Tree is at the top followed by Oceansize and Anathema.  Just as well add Mars Volta to the top favs too.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 08:58
I think maybe some people who are either new to prog or new(or newish) to new prog or the prog "underground" think neo prog just means anything after the 70's. I've seen other people think of it that way before also.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 09:25
My top 3 are also not neo prog

Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
Echolyn

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 09:59
I like Marillion, but for me this is between Saga and Spock's Beard. I went with Saga as I REALLY like them and feel they are painfully underrated on here.

In the interest of full disclosure, there are a few *cough* several *hard cough* bands on this list that I haven't heard yet.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 10:21
Some of these bands are not Neo-Prog at all, but from these that are Neo-Prog, there is no doubt that Fish-era Marillion is the best Neo-Prog!

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 11:03
There's been some healthy debate on this thread over what constitutes a genuine Neo-Prog band, and that's half the fun of being a member of ProgArchives, where differing opinions are always welcome. From my own personal point of view, I generally  think of Neo-Prog (or new prog) as any Progressive Rock band that formed from the early 1980's onwards, following the classic era of Prog-Rock during the 1970's.

I'm not exactly new to the world of Prog-Rock - I'm 60 years old and I've been buying albums since the early 1970's. More recently, I worked as chief music editor for 3 years for the independently-run You Tube Music website, where it was part of my job to decide which genre an artist belonged in. The site no longer exists, having run out of funding in 2015, but I've now built up my own personal Artists & Albums database, with over 16,000 artists and over 80,000 album covers.

Below is ProgArchives definition of Neo-Prog:-
"Neo-Progressive rock (more commonly "Neo-Prog") is a subgenre of Progressive Rock that originally was used to describe artists strongly influenced by the classic symphonic prog bands that flourished during the 1970s. At the beginning of the neo-prog movement, the primary influence was early to mid-70's Genesis. Debate over when Neo-Prog actually came into being often takes place, with some asserting it began with Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear in 1983. Others contend it began with Twelfth Night at the dawn of the 80s, while some even suggest the popular symphonic prog band Genesis gave rise to Neo-Prog with their 1976 album, A Trick of the Tail."

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 11:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Neither are Astra, Saga and Solstice.

And especially not The Mars Volta.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 11:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There's been some healthy debate on this thread over what constitutes a genuine Neo-Prog band, and that's half the fun of being a member of ProgArchives, where differing opinions are always welcome. From my own personal point of view, I generally  think of Neo-Prog (or new prog) as any Progressive Rock band that formed from the early 1980's onwards, following the classic era of Prog-Rock during the 1970's.

I'm not exactly new to the world of Prog-Rock - I'm 60 years old and I've been buying albums since the early 1970's. More recently, I worked as chief music editor for 3 years for the independently-run You Tube Music website, where it was part of my job to decide which genre an artist belonged in. The site no longer exists, having run out of funding in 2015, but I've now built up my own personal Artists & Albums database, with over 16,000 artists and over 80,000 album covers.

Below is ProgArchives definition of Neo-Prog:-
"Neo-Progressive rock (more commonly "Neo-Prog") is a subgenre of Progressive Rock that originally was used to describe artists strongly influenced by the classic symphonic prog bands that flourished during the 1970s. At the beginning of the neo-prog movement, the primary influence was early to mid-70's Genesis. Debate over when Neo-Prog actually came into being often takes place, with some asserting it began with Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear in 1983. Others contend it began with Twelfth Night at the dawn of the 80s, while some even suggest the popular symphonic prog band Genesis gave rise to Neo-Prog with their 1976 album, A Trick of the Tail."

You're certainly entitled to view things the way you want to. However, I personally go by both the progarchives and wikipedia definition of neo prog. I would never view a band like djam karet or ozric tentacles or any band who is avant gardish or non symphonic derived as neo but I guess we all use the term in different ways. Some people use the term progressive rock in a very literal way too but I don't. If I did then jazz would always have to change and progress and so would every other genre. For me it's just a sound and the same thing with neo as opposed to a time frame. I agree that our differences are what make this place interesting.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:00
Nomenclature is the bane of the archivist.

^^ At PA and RYM we have a band called Solstice that is classified as Neo-Prog and one classified as JRF (there are is also a Doom Metal and Death metal Soltice not in PA). Wikipedia also classifies that Solstice as Neo-Prog.

If not all Neo-Prog or Neo-Prog related, I think at least the majority of these have similarities to Neo-Prog and would be likely to appeal to similar audiences -- those more into melodic rock/ AOR/ and/or arena rock. Bands like Guapo and Non Credo would be more out of place on this list than bands like Spock's Beard and The Tangent, but actually might not be that out of place with a band like The Mars Volta (have heard some call TMV Neo-Prog before). Some have used Neo-Prog just as a temporal descriptor.

When I first started really delving into Prog back in the early 200s, many were using Neo-Prog in a rather different way.

Allmusic for instance, which uses the definition...

Quote The Neo-Progressive subgenre of progressive rock grew out of a movement in the early 1980s by a number of U.K.-based bands that focused on music that was deeper than new wave, both instrumentally and lyrically. The premier band of the genre was Marillion, who went from lengthy club tours to the top of the charts within a few years and dropped from popular favor almost as fast. Neo-Prog bands are generally influenced by early Genesis, Camel, and to a lesser extent, Van der Graf Generator and Pink Floyd. The music holds a much more lush sound than general rock, but lacks the sophistication of truly symphonic progressive bands like Yes or Camel. Instrumentally, the bands tend to be characterized by a "noodling" approach that focuses on dynamic solos, and at its best, neo-prog lyrics are deep, insightful, and acerbic. Whether neo-prog is diluted progressive or adventurous pop depends on the point of view of the listener -- most progressive rock listeners are likely to find the genre dull and unchallenging, while fans of AOR will find the mix more interesting than most rock bands. Although all of the major bands are still producing albums, the classic era of neo-prog effectively ended when vocalist Fish left Marillion in 1987.

... Allmusic does put Spock's Beard, Echolyn, Transatlantic and The Flower Kings, as well as Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree stylistically in the Neo-Prog camp, and this has seemed more acceptable to me from people before than it seems to be to many now. We can't all agree on what is Prog, or its limits, either.

Anyway, just wanted to add a different take, no vote from me as this list is very much not my taste.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:06

I think maybe some people who are either new to prog or new(or newish) to new prog or the prog "underground" think neo prog just means anything after the 70's. I've seen other people think of it that way before also.

I'm not new to the world of prog, having been born in the 1950's, but my own personal view is that Neo-Prog generally applies to any Progressive Rock band formed after the 1970's. When putting this poll together, my thinking was it was better to include as many bands as possible associated with the Neo-Prog  genre, rather than leave out an important band if it was debateable whether or not they belonged in the Neo-Prog category.

If I'd missed any artists out because I was unsure whether they belonged in a Neo-Prog poll, then I can't edit them in later as an afterthought. Smile

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ At PA and RYM we have a band called Solstice that is classified as Neo-Prog and one classified as JRF (there are is also a Doom Metal and Death metal Soltice not in PA). Wikipedia also classifies that Solstice as Neo-Prog.

If not all Neo-Prog or Neo-Prog related, I think at least the majority of these have similarities to Neo-Prog and would be likely to appeal to similar audiences -- those more into melodic rock/ AOR/ and/or arena rock. Bands like Guapo and Non Credo would be more out of place on this list than bands like Spock's Beard and The Tangent, but actually might not be that out of place with a band like The Mars Volta (have heard some call TMV Neo-Prog before). Some have used Neo-Prog just as a temporal descriptor.

When I first started really delving into Prog back in the early 200s, many were using Neo-Prog in a rather different way.

Allmusic for instance, which uses the definition...

Quote The Neo-Progressive subgenre of progressive rock grew out of a movement in the early 1980s by a number of U.K.-based bands that focused on music that was deeper than new wave, both instrumentally and lyrically. The premier band of the genre was Marillion, who went from lengthy club tours to the top of the charts within a few years and dropped from popular favor almost as fast. Neo-Prog bands are generally influenced by early Genesis, Camel, and to a lesser extent, Van der Graf Generator and Pink Floyd. The music holds a much more lush sound than general rock, but lacks the sophistication of truly symphonic progressive bands like Yes or Camel. Instrumentally, the bands tend to be characterized by a "noodling" approach that focuses on dynamic solos, and at its best, neo-prog lyrics are deep, insightful, and acerbic. Whether neo-prog is diluted progressive or adventurous pop depends on the point of view of the listener -- most progressive rock listeners are likely to find the genre dull and unchallenging, while fans of AOR will find the mix more interesting than most rock bands. Although all of the major bands are still producing albums, the classic era of neo-prog effectively ended when vocalist Fish left Marillion in 1987.

... Allmusic does put Spock's Beard, Echolyn, Transatlantic and The Flower Kings, as well as Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree stylistically in the Neo-Prog camp, and this has seemed more acceptable to me from people before than it seems to be to many now. We can't all agree on what is Prog, or its limits, either.

Anyway, just wanted to add a different take, no vote from me as this list is very much not my taste.

Thanks for your support, Logan. At least someone agrees with me. Tongue

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:15
You're certainly entitled to view things the way you want to. However, I personally go by both the progarchives and wikipedia definition of neo prog. I would never view a band like djam karet or ozric tentacles or any band who is avant gardish or non symphonic derived as neo but I guess we all use the term in different ways. Some people use the term progressive rock in a very literal way too but I don't. If I did then jazz would always have to change and progress and so would every other genre. For me it's just a sound and the same thing with neo as opposed to a time frame. I agree that our differences are what make this place interesting.

I wouldn't classify Ozric Tentacles as Neo-Prog either. To me, they've always been a Space Rock band.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:33
Currently The Tangent, although they have little to do with Neo-Prog. It seems that the term "Neo-Prog" refers to a generation rather than a subgenre in this thread.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:40
the Op does not have a clue what neo-prog is (well, it seems he knows the PA definition but he is right and the rest of us are wrong).

no vote Censored, although i know and like most bands in the poll.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 13:36
You're good OP, I've also heard that, in the past, that sort of modern prog started with A Trick of the Tail. I have no issues whatsoever with this poll.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 13:41
Neo-Prog has meant different things to different people over the years, not sure why one would get upset by it, unless one's a fan and someone else is defining it as sh*t. I don't see making this topic as being rude, but I find various responses to it quite impolite.

As I said, Allmusic calls various acts that others claim are not Neo-Prog as Neo-Prog (I don't have to agree to recognise it). PA has a Solstice in Neo-Prog while Verslibre does not consider Solstice Neo-Prog. I'm against absolutism, and monolithic definitions that lack nuance. Too often, for me, people claim something can only mean one thing, and if you use it a little differently, then people claim you're absolutely wrong/ ignorant stupid, that I tend to find offensive. It doesn't open up a discussion, it tends to shut it down. It's not open-minded; it's close-minded. I wish people would define what they mean instead of blaming others for using terms differently or even incorrectly.

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 14:12
^ is the close-minded remark refer to me? Was I the rude one?

How does this poll and the OP using his own definition of "neo-prog" make any sense? He's read the PA definition of the genre but chooses to ignore it. Is re-inventing the wheel here necessary? The PA definition makes a lot of sense, explains the neo-prog sound clearly and so on. But all of a sudden it does not matter.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 14:34
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

You're good OP, I've also heard that, in the past, that sort of modern prog started with A Trick of the Tail. I have no issues whatsoever with this poll.

Thanks Yesesis. I've had similar support from Logan too on my definition of Neo-Prog, which I'd generally define as any modern-day Progressive Rock bands who've emerged from the early 1980's onwards, as opposed to classic Progressive Rock from the 1970's era. 

I'd rather be criticised for including too many bands in my poll instead of excluding a debateable Neo-Prog artist that someone may have potentially voted for. Smile

By the way, I don't know if it's the done thing to vote in one's own poll, but if I WAS going to cast a vote, then my vote would go to Porcupine Tree. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 14:48

Thanks Yesesis. I've had similar support from Logan too on my definition of Neo-Prog, which I'd generally define as any modern-day Progressive Rock bands who've emerged from the early 1980's onwards, as opposed to classic Progressive Rock from the 1970's era. 

I'd rather be criticised for including too many bands in my poll instead of excluding a debateable Neo-Prog artist that someone may have potentially voted for. < ="text/" style="display:none"> // < ="text/" ="https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/s/04b3eb47/cloudflare-static/mirage2.min.js"> Smile

By the way, I don't know if it's the done thing to vote in one's own poll, but if I WAS going to cast a vote, then my vote would go to Porcupine Tree. Thumbs Up

No problem bud. And yeah go ahead and vote, people usually do vote in their own polls.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:06
From those listed, neo-prog or not, I choose Echolyn.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:09

I'm not new to the world of prog, having been born in the 1950's, but my own personal view is that Neo-Prog generally applies to any Progressive Rock band formed after the 1970's. When putting this poll together, my thinking was it was better to include as many bands as possible associated with the Neo-Prog  genre, rather than leave out an important band if it was debateable whether or not they belonged in the Neo-Prog category.

If I'd missed any artists out because I was unsure whether they belonged in a Neo-Prog poll, then I can't edit them in later as an afterthought. Smile

Well, that's not the standard definition of neo. You can search online and see for yourself. I'm not trying to rub your nose in it but you are in the minority in your opinion of what you think neo prog is. Nothing wrong with being an outlier though. Maybe everyone else(including myself)will change our opinions to conform to yours. You never know. ;)

Also, I didn't say you were new necessarily just that maybe you only recently discovered the prog underground or maybe only recently came across the term "neo prog." The term has been around a while and most on here see it in reference to a certain rather specific musical scene/movement that happened in the eighties which was predominately an English one.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

How does this poll and the OP using his own definition of "neo-prog" make any sense? He's read the PA definition of the genre but chooses to ignore it. Is re-inventing the wheel here necessary? The PA definition makes a lot of sense, explains the neo-prog sound clearly and so on. But all of a sudden it does not matter.

By using it differently does not necessarily mean that he's ignored it, anymore than I would hope that you writing "well, it seems he knows the PA definition but he is right and the rest of us are wrong" ignored my earlier post where I demonstrated a site that does classify various bands here as Neo-Prog that various people here insist are not Neo-Prog, rightly or wrongly. And as said, one that it is claimed by one here as not Neo-Prog is labelled Neo-Prog at this very site and various other sites.

I said that I see various remarks as impolite. I don't see this "the Op does not have a clue what neo-prog is (well, it seems he knows the PA definition but he is right and the rest of us are wrong)" as polite. Yes, I see it as rude.

A more polite way to put it would be to speak directly to Paul instead of about him, use a name instead of just referring to someone as Op, and be informative rather than complaining. It comes across to me as condescending, presumptuous, and rather aggressive in tone. If others find it more neutral (rather than neither polite nor impolite, and some see it as more polite than I do, well okay, that's their perspective. Like I said, I see no insult intended with making this topic, but find such comments insulting, and totally off-putting.

To limit oneself to the PA definition, as well as any who would discount bands that others sites might label as Neo-Prog, which by the way is not the first one used at this site, does indicate a rather narrow-minded outlook to me. Terminology and parameters are often in flux. This doesn't mean that the researches who put together the PA definition using other sources did not do a good job, but that does not automatically discount how others have used the term (rightly or wrongly or questionably).

When I started using this site, Neo-Prog meant to me something more like how Psychedelic Paul uses it, which I how I had heard others use it. I was not an expert on it, and in fact, this kind of music is not my thing. I used it as more of temporal description that referred to post classic bands commonly influenced by symphonic prog that were on the melodic rock/ AOR spectrum, and it had an arena rock relation. As I have been a team member and long-time member of this site, I tend to use it in a narrower definition now which does align with how this site uses it (my language has been informed by this site as long time collab and site member, but that does not mean that I see no validity in using it rather differently -- that said, I am not Neo-Prog historian). As said, I'm a non-absolutist, and seeing this site as the authority I would see as problematic (I'm also rather anti-authoritarian, but that's another matter).

It's not about re-inventing the wheel to me, language is being reinvented all the time, terms come and go, terms adapt, neologisms abound, and the goalposts are ever shifting. One can argue that PA has played a part in redefining terms, and hasn't always been traditionalist in scope or definition.

What bothers me is that people complain so much about such things, and instead of saying, "I would define such-and-such differently, and here's how" or "I disagree and here's why", they make simple claims such as "You're wrong". That is not conducive to good discussion, I don't think.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:11

From my own personal point of view, I generally  think of Neo-Prog (or new prog) as any Progressive Rock band that formed from the early 1980's onwards, following the classic era of Prog-Rock during the 1970's.

The problem with this view is that it only makes sense if there are only two subgenres of Prog: Classic Prog and Neo-Prog. But with the subgenres we have in PA, it makes more sense to categorise new prog according to the type of music. And note that Neo-Prog is a type of music and not just a time period.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:18
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

From my own personal point of view, I generally  think of Neo-Prog (or new prog) as any Progressive Rock band that formed from the early 1980's onwards, following the classic era of Prog-Rock during the 1970's.

The problem with this view is that it only makes sense if there are only two subgenres of Prog: Classic Prog and Neo-Prog. But with the subgenres we have in PA, it makes more sense to categorise new prog according to the type of music. And note that Neo-Prog is a type of music and not just a time period.

This.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 18:06
Collage, Satellite, Clepsydra or Believe.

That is all

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 19:52
Porcupine Tree by a smidgen over IQ.    Mars Volta are Neo?  

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 20:35
Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) may be more comfortable being considered prog now, but I believe he would be rather offended of being labeled as Neo-Prog.

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 22:02
He has posted here as many know and might have been more offended by my calling Porcupine Tree, Pork Your Pine Tree, which was very knotty [sic], as in knotty pine, of me.

I wonder how he felt about this article where he was interviewed by Nick Deriso, where the interviewer started off his article with "When neo-progger Steven Wilson says he loves the texture and scope of music from the 1970s, he doesn’t just mean classic recordings by the likes of King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull. He means all of it — ABBA, jazz, the Bee Gees, all of it."

See: http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/02/26/something-else-interview-steven-wilson-on-classic-1970s-sounds-progs-rebirth-and-his-amazing-new-album/" rel="nofollow - http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/02/26/something-else-interview-steven-wilson-on-classic-1970s-sounds-progs-rebirth-and-his-amazing-new-album/

Of course by neo-progger, the interviewer may not have been referring to a style of Prog, but simply calling Wilson a musician creating new prog (by the way, New Prog or Nu Prog is also considered by some to be a subgenre of Prog).

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2019 at 23:49

By using it differently does not necessarily mean that he's ignored it, anymore than I would hope that you writing "well, it seems he knows the PA definition but he is right and the rest of us are wrong" ignored my earlier post where I demonstrated a site that does classify various bands here as Neo-Prog that various people here insist are not Neo-Prog, rightly or wrongly. And as said, one that it is claimed by one here as not Neo-Prog is labelled Neo-Prog at this very site and various other sites.

I said that I see various remarks as impolite. I don't see this "the Op does not have a clue what neo-prog is (well, it seems he knows the PA definition but he is right and the rest of us are wrong)" as polite. Yes, I see it as rude.

A more polite way to put it would be to speak directly to Paul instead of about him, use a name instead of just referring to someone as Op, and be informative rather than complaining. It comes across to me as condescending, presumptuous, and rather aggressive in tone. If others find it more neutral (rather than neither polite nor impolite, and some see it as more polite than I do, well okay, that's their perspective. Like I said, I see no insult intended with making this topic, but find such comments insulting, and totally off-putting.

To limit oneself to the PA definition, as well as any who would discount bands that others sites might label as Neo-Prog, which by the way is not the first one used at this site, does indicate a rather narrow-minded outlook to me. Terminology and parameters are often in flux. This doesn't mean that the researches who put together the PA definition using other sources did not do a good job, but that does not automatically discount how others have used the term (rightly or wrongly or questionably).

When I started using this site, Neo-Prog meant to me something more like how Psychedelic Paul uses it, which I how I had heard others use it. I was not an expert on it, and in fact, this kind of music is not my thing. I used it as more of temporal description that referred to post classic bands commonly influenced by symphonic prog that were on the melodic rock/ AOR spectrum, and it had an arena rock relation. As I have been a team member and long-time member of this site, I tend to use it in a narrower definition now which does align with how this site uses it (my language has been informed by this site as long time collab and site member, but that does not mean that I see no validity in using it rather differently -- that said, I am not Neo-Prog historian). As said, I'm a non-absolutist, and seeing this site as the authority I would see as problematic (I'm also rather anti-authoritarian, but that's another matter).

It's not about re-inventing the wheel to me, language is being reinvented all the time, terms come and go, terms adapt, neologisms abound, and the goalposts are ever shifting. One can argue that PA has played a part in redefining terms, and hasn't always been traditionalist in scope or definition.

What bothers me is that people complain so much about such things, and instead of saying, "I would define such-and-such differently, and here's how" or "I disagree and here's why", they make simple claims such as "You're wrong". That is not conducive to good discussion, I don't think.

I am not trying to define anything differently, in fact the definitions we got here on PA are fine, I got no complaint. And if there is a genre that does not need to be redefined, it's neo-prog. As it is defined on this site, I don't think anyone can improve on that.

What bothered me was not that Paul uses his own genre definitions, it's that he ignores ours (for no particular reason). Does his definition make better sense? No, if you ask me. Since the early 80s, progressive music has expanded, evolved, became more diverse to be simply labeled as "neo-prog"? Then how can anyone explain the sound of GYBE, Pain of Salvation, Sigur Ros, Gojira and many others. Neo-prog? Is it all neoprog?!

I've seen other names for genres as well, new prog included. I've seen alternative prog somewhere; that does not mean we have to change anything, for now. A change needs to be an improvement on what was before, otherwise what's the point?

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 00:40
I'm a big fan if IQ and so would nearly always vote for them as I did here.

Yes as is being discussed there are clearly a lot of bands that are not neo prog.

The eighties bands that defined neo -prog are

IQ
Marillion
Twelth Night
Pallas
Pendragon

there weren't that many

latterly I would say the likes of Comedy Of Errors and Magenta have kept the movement bubbling along nicely. 
In general I don't see it as particularly adventurous or innovative and I don't care actually. It's less about technicality (in fact it shies away from that) and more about lyrics , songs and creating an atmosphere. I don't see it as even being a variant of symphonic prog particularly as often the bands estu complexity for a relatively straightforward approach. The apocalypse section of Suppers Ready often features in the longer tracks but a simplified version . I remember Grendel being referred to amusingly as 'Apocalypse in Four Four' by some smart arsed critic!

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 00:52
^^ How do you know he has no particular reason, did he say so, or is that an assumption? I'll have to read back on his posts. Some are less likely to change their preconceived notions than others when faced with different interpretations. Just because someone comes to the site that doesn't mean they need to conform in that way (well if suggesting bands they should know how we use categories and suggest bands to the best category according to PA).

I'm not saying that you are trying to define anything differently or advocating definitional change, and I took it that you like our current PA Neo-Prog write-up (it's at least our third Neo-Prog write-up since I've been visiting this site, and I think each one has been an improvement on the last). I think its good myself; it has nuance.

As it says in the bottom two paragraphs:

Quote These and other forms of more or less newly made musical genres influenced artists exploring progressive rock as well. Although many artists did so within the framework of 70's progressive rock, more and more artists developed a sound and style so heavily influenced by these more recent musical developments that categorizing them within the existing subgenres of progressive rock became increasingly difficult.

While the Neo-Progressive genre initially consisted of artists exploring a modernized version of Symphonic Prog, these days artists coined as Neo-Progressive cover a multitude of musical expressions, where the common denominator is the inclusion - within a progressive rock framework - of musical elements developed just prior to and after 1980. The Neo-Progressive genre in it's refined form thus covers a vast musical territory, to some extent covering all existing subsets of progressive rock and also searching out towards genres as different as new age on one side and punk and metal on the other.

Categorisation can be difficult, there is overlap with various categories, and it covers a multitude of expression. Yeah alternative prog is another term for New or NU Prog, and that does not mean that we need to change anything, and am not saying we should. Change writ large is inevitable, it can be good or bad, or sometimes a bit of both, some benefit, others don't. The universe is facing heat death, c'est la vie, at least I'll be long dead by then.

Paul at least defined how he was using it, and I don't see that as snubbing how this site officially uses it or classifies artists. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with that, but I don't get why one would be condescending in response on this topic. Leave such attitudes to the politics threads if one must. I've seen others who use it much the same. I'm reminded of how I've made category polls that focused on albums, and people have complained because I've stepped out of the PA box. That is not quite the same issue, as PA has the limitation of not including multi-genres for artists, and not tagging individual albums, but people have said, that has nothing to do with the category I was highlighting, well I hear things differently and draw different associations. I think it arrogant to think that PA holds some ultimate truth when it comes to such things, and to think it strange that one would be taken aback by someone using the terms differently. As long as I know what people mean in conversation (feel rather differently when it comes to formal writing), and they know what I mean, so we're not talking at cross-purposes, feel free to call a dog a cat and a cat a dog. I don't see the point of it, but that's beside the point.

All cats have four legs,
Dogs have four legs,
Therefore dogs are cats. (for a silly, faulty syllogism).

Whether classified as Neo-Prog or not, as a grouping, I think that at least most of these musical acts make quite a bit of stylistic sense together and would tend to appeal to the same listeners, just as none of them have much appealed to me. If it weren't for the Neo-Prog labeling, I don't think there'd be much complaining about this not very stylistically disparate list of artists.

I'd say, better to just say why one doesn't consider these all to be Neo-Prog, choose your favourite, then move on. One can do it politely with no condescension or acrimony. I use the word liberal differently than Paul, and probably socialist an communist too, but it's enough for me in conversation that I understand how he uses the term and he understands how I am using the term so we aren't talking at cross-purposes.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 01:15
Weird poll. 

IQ of the neos, Echolyn overall. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 01:21

^^ How do you know he has no particular reason, did he say so, or is that an assumption? I'll have to read back on his posts. Some are less likely to change their preconceived notions than others when faced with different interpretations. Just because someone comes to the site that doesn't mean they need to conform in that way (well if suggesting bands they should know how we use categories and suggest bands to the best category according to PA).

I'm not saying that you are trying to define anything differently or advocating definitional change, and I took it that you like our current PA Neo-Prog write-up (it's at least our third Neo-Prog write-up since I've been visiting this site, and I think each one has been an improvement on the last). I think its good myself; it has nuance.

As it says in the bottom two paragraphs:

Quote These and other forms of more or less newly made musical genres influenced artists exploring progressive rock as well. Although many artists did so within the framework of 70's progressive rock, more and more artists developed a sound and style so heavily influenced by these more recent musical developments that categorizing them within the existing subgenres of progressive rock became increasingly difficult.

While the Neo-Progressive genre initially consisted of artists exploring a modernized version of Symphonic Prog, these days artists coined as Neo-Progressive cover a multitude of musical expressions, where the common denominator is the inclusion - within a progressive rock framework - of musical elements developed just prior to and after 1980. The Neo-Progressive genre in it's refined form thus covers a vast musical territory, to some extent covering all existing subsets of progressive rock and also searching out towards genres as different as new age on one side and punk and metal on the other.

Categorisation can be difficult, there is overlap with various categories, and it covers a multitude of expression. Yeah alternative prog is another term for New or NU Prog, and that does not mean that we need to change anything, and am not saying we should. Change writ large is inevitable, it can be good or bad, or sometimes a bit of both, some benefit, others don't. The universe is facing heat death, c'est la vie, at least I'll be long dead by then.

Paul at least defined how he was using it, and I don't see that as snubbing how this site officially uses it or classifies artists. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with that, but I don't get why one would be condescending in response on this topic. Leave such attitudes to the politics threads if one must. I've seen others who use it much the same. I'm reminded of how I've made category polls that focused on albums, and people have complained because I've stepped out of the PA box. That is not quite the same issue, as PA has the limitation of not including multi-genres for artists, and not tagging individual albums, but people have said, that has nothing to do with the category I was highlighting, well I hear things differently and draw different associations. I think it arrogant to think that PA holds some ultimate truth when it comes to such things, and to think it strange that one would be taken aback by someone using the terms differently. As long as I know what people mean in conversation (feel rather differently when it comes to formal writing), and they know what I mean, so we're not talking at cross-purposes, feel free to call a dog a cat and a cat a dog. I don't see the point of it, but that's beside the point.

All cats have four legs,
Dogs have four legs,
Therefore dogs are cats. (for a silly, faulty syllogism).

Whether classified as Neo-Prog or not, as a grouping, I think that at least most of these musical acts make quite a bit of stylistic sense together and would tend to appeal to the same listeners, just as none of them have much appealed to me. If it weren't for the Neo-Prog labeling, I don't think there'd be much complaining about this not very stylistically disparate list of artists.

I'd say, better to just say why one doesn't consider these all to be Neo-Prog, choose your favourite, then move on. One can do it politely with no condescension or acrimony. I use the word liberal differently than Paul, and probably socialist an communist too, but it's enough for me in conversation that I understand how he uses the term and he understands how I am using the term so we aren't talking at cross-purposes.

oh man, you're good with words, you could convince me an apple is an orange or something.
I'm not good with words, I lack the patience to write long argumentative posts.

Next time I will follow my instinct and ignore a thread and poll like this one. But this is what happens when a poll makes no sense (to me) and just looking at the bands in it I got a headache... well, kinda...

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 02:18
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Porcupine Tree gets my vote too. Thumbs Up Having listened to the Mars Volta again on YouTube a few moments ago, I stand by my decision to include them in the poll. Chronologically, not only are they a modern, relatively new prog (or Neo-Prog) band, but musically and stylistically, they also SOUND (to me) like a Neo-Prog band, but that's only my own personal opinion and everyone has a right to respectfully disagree with me. Tongue

Who would have thought my latest music blog would turn out to be even more controversial than my political blogs - again! Wink

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 02:49

Porcupine Tree gets my vote too. Thumbs Up Having listened to the Mars Volta again on YouTube a few moments ago, I stand by my decision to include them in the poll. Chronologically, not only are they a modern, relatively new prog (or Neo-Prog) band, but musically and stylistically, they also SOUND (to me) like a Neo-Prog band, but that's only my own personal opinion and everyone has a right to respectfully disagree with me. Tongue

Who would have thought my latest music blog would turn out to be even more controversial than my political blogs - again! Wink

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 03:46
I wouldn't class many of those as Neo, but the band I enjoy most on the list is probably It Bites although I do really like IQ, Pallas and Porcupine Tree.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 06:39
voted for Marillion as they are my fave neo prog band

there are many other bands on the list that I like more than Marillion
but I won't call them Neo... 

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:25
Went with IQ, just ahead of Marillion and Galahad

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:39

I get it!   You meant Neo in it's literal sense.   Me?  I was contemplating IQ, Pendragon, Arena,  and Marillion as Neo Sounding.   Still I vote for Porcupine Tree.  I also like Big Big Train.  

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:44
Mars Volta with an edge over Porcupine (no vote - not allowed as I had to make a new account)

From the more traditional NEO lineup  Pendragon

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:00
The Flower Kings - not Neo Prog
echolyn - not Neo Prog
Transatlantic - not Neo Prog
Spock's Beard - not Neo Prog

From the listed bands that actually are Neo Prog: IQ

(Although Yuka & Chronoship are my favorite Neo band...)

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:07

I get it!   You meant Neo in it's literal sense.   Me?  I was contemplating IQ, Pendragon, Arena,  and Marillion as Neo Sounding.   Still I vote for Porcupine Tree.  I also like Big Big Train.  

Yes, that's it exactly! I meant Neo-Prog in its quite literal and broadest sense, meaning new prog  from bands who formed during the 1980's era or later, as opposed to classic prog from bands who formed during the original 1970's era, in the early, formative years of Prog-Rock. Smile

Many artists don't fit neatly into one particular genre of music and they often change musical styles from one album to the next over time. Also, I've found many artists don't like being pigeonholed into one particular genre of music. Smile

I'll add Big Big Train to my long list of Neo-Prog artists at the beginning of my thread. Smile

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:14

Yes, that's it exactly! I meant Neo-Prog in its quite literal and broadest sense, meaning new prog  from bands who formed during the 1980's era or later, as opposed to classic prog from bands who formed during the original 1970's era, in the early, formative years of Prog-Rock. Smile

Many artists don't fit neatly into one particular genre of music and they often change musical styles from one album to the next over time. Also, I've found many artists don't like being pigeonholed into one particular genre of music. Smile

I'll add Big Big Train to my long list of Neo-Prog artists at the beginning of my thread. Smile

so putting 4 decades of music into one genre makes sense to you? Or is it you don't know how diverse prog has got throughout this time?

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:29
Another vote to IQ and another one who thinks many of the listed bands are not Neo-Prog.
Please consider the tough task collabs have discussing which sub-genre fits best to each band. Putting all those bands inside the Neo-Prog bag is like disrespecting all that work. Anathema, The Flower Kings, The Mars Volta etc are not Neo, irrespective of whether they are old or new.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:35
 On This list, Porcupine Tree. If you go by PA's definition of Neo Prog then it would be Marillion. 

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:58
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Another vote to IQ and another one who thinks many of the listed bands are not Neo-Prog.
Please consider the tough task collabs have discussing which sub-genre fits best to each band. Putting all those bands inside the Neo-Prog bag is like disrespecting all that work. Anathema, The Flower Kings, The Mars Volta etc are not Neo, irrespective of whether they are old or new.

I love Neo-Prog and I'm not disrespecting the artists at all and I don't think it's an anathema to describe Anathema as Neo-Prog. Tongue

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:22

I love Neo-Prog and I'm not disrespecting the artists at all and I don't think it's an anathema to describe Anathema as Neo-Prog. Tongue

It's the collaborators you are disrespecting and all their work, this is what Gerinski is saying.

As for Anathema, they started as a death/doom band, gave up the growls, but not the doom, and starting with Judgement (1999) they've been playing progressive rock - call them experimental/post metal, as defined here on PA, or alternative prog, even crossover prog. But neo-prog? No way!

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:26
Im afraid Ive been a bit predictable and voted Marillion. 
Not quite sure that Porcupine Tree  and Anathema should be considered Neo-Prog, but then its not a term I'm keen on tbh.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:50
Probably could have avoided all this Neo Prog back & forth debate by calling the poll " Post 70's prog" ( or something like that) I understand where you were going with it but that might have silenced all the critics. 

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:56
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Im afraid Ive been a bit predictable and voted Marillion. 
Not quite sure that Porcupine Tree  and Anathema should be considered Neo-Prog, but then its not a term I'm keen on tbh.

I've always considered Anathema and Porcupine Tree to be Neo-Prog, and I couldn't possibly consider leaving Porcupine Tree out of my poll as they were the band I voted for. Smile

Obviously, we all have our own definitions of what is and isn't Neo-Prog, and if every member here posted their own poll of what they regarded as the 22 most important bands in the Neo-Prog genre, I'm sure we'd all come up with different lists. Smile

In the first line of Porcupine Tree's biography on ProgArchives it says, "PORCUPINE TREE are incredibly hard to describe because their music doesn't fit into any one genre." ............ The same thing goes for many other bands too. Being labelled "Neo-Prog" isn't a single exclusive genre, but just one of several genres that a band may be categorised as. For instance, the Mars Volta, mentioned in an earlier post are described as "Heavy Prog" on ProgArchives, which is a perfectly good description of their music, but they can ALSO be described as Neo-Prog too, from the point-of-view that it's relatively new (or neo) Progressive Rock. Smile

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 11:03
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Probably could have avoided all this Neo Prog back & forth debate by calling the poll " Post 70's prog" ( or something like that) I understand where you were going with it but that might have silenced all the critics. 

It's funny you should say that because I was thinking the same thing too, but then if I HAD done that, then I would have missed out on having an interesting and informative debate on what is and isn't Neo-Prog. Smile

I'd much rather be criticised for including too many bands in my poll than be criticised for omitting someone's favourite band from the poll. Smile

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 11:49

Obviously, we all have our own definitions of what is and isn't Neo-Prog, and if every member here posted their own poll of what they regarded as the 22 most important bands in the Neo-Prog genre, I'm sure we'd all come up with different lists. Smile

Are you trolling us or something? Looks like it.

You are the only one with your own definition of the neo-prog genre. How many people have told you a lot of bands in your poll are not neo-prog? Or their opinion does not matter, only yours.

And no, there would not be different lists, some users know more neo-prog bands than others (I say neo-prog as defined on PA, as do many others).

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 12:21
I'd just like to thank everyone for their valued contributions to my Neo-Prog poll  and to this entertaining thread, regardless of whether PA members agree or disagree with me. After all, if everyone agreed with me, then we wouldn't have had a passionate debate about Neo-Prog where all respectful views are always welcome. The disparate, interesting and often passionate views on Prog-Rock are part of what keeps the Prog Archives Forums alive and kicking. Smile

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:00
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

voted for Marillion as they are my fave neo prog band

there are many other bands on the list that I like more than Marillion
but I won't call them Neo... 

This absolutely.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:38

Yes that would have made more sense.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:44
IQ for sure...but....I also love early Spocks Beard with Morse and classic   Porcupine Tree.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:55

Or "Post Classic Era Prog". The Saga album I found most enjoyable is the self-titled, which came out in 1978. And Twelth Night goes back further than the 80s. In fact, the first performance of Twelth Night was way back in February 2, 1602, but I don't wish to make much ado about nothing. Keep it as you like it, all's well that ends well et cetera.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:10

Or "Post Classic Era Prog". The Saga album I found most enjoyable is the self-titled, which came out in 1978. And Twelth Night goes back further than the 80s. In fact, the first performance of Twelth Night was way back in February 2, 1602, but I don't wish to make much ado about nothing. Keep it as you like it, all's well that ends well et cetera.

You deserve a Hamlet cigar for that Shakespearean post. Tongue

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:38

Agree.

Imagine this scenario but apply it to neo prog:

Mother: That's not orange juice you're drinking. It's grapefruit juice.

Boy: But I want it to be orange juice so I'm calling it orange juice.

Mother: Calling it orange juice doesn't make it orange juice.

Boy: I don't care. I'm calling it orange juice anyway. 

Wink 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:40

The Saga album I found most enjoyable is the self-titled, which came out in 1978.
Great one, and pretty bold at the time to make such a robotic prog record.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nor Saga.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:05
I don't mind what's "really neo-prog". Genre labels are overrated.
Best from the list are Porcupine Tree. Also I like some Echolyn & Saga.

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:21
^ Still, neoprog has a distinctive era and sound which a band like the Tangent does not reflect.  Labels are overrated but useful.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:47

My favorite Saga album is definitely Silent Knight. But all of their first three are really good imo, better than their 4th which is usually picked as their best.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 01:55
I stand by my decision to include all of those artists in the Neo-Prog poll. It doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong though, or vice versa - it simply means we all have different definitions of what is and isn't Neo-Prog. Smile
At the moment, three clear leaders have emerged in the poll:- IQ with 11 votes;  Marillion with 10 votes; & Porcupine Tree with 9 votes.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 02:03
TFK, PT and SB are third wave man, not neo.

No vote.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:33
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I think you should inform yourself what Neo Prog is at all before.
Astra: Heavy Psych Retro Space Rockers, what do you think is Neo Prog about them???
(they can't be further away)

I included Astra in my poll because they're one of my favourite modern (or neo) Progressive Rock bands. Smile

In retrospect, I wish I'd included Mostly Autumn in my poll too for the same reason as above. Smile

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I don't mind what's "really neo-prog". Genre labels are overrated.

I agree! Thumbs Up

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

TFK, PT and SB are third wave man, not neo.

No vote.

harrumph  Smile

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:25

I stand by my decision to include all of those artists in the Neo-Prog poll. It doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong though, or vice versa - it simply means we all have different definitions of what is and isn't Neo-Prog. Smile
At the moment, three clear leaders have emerged in the poll:- IQ with 11 votes;  Marillion with 10 votes; & Porcupine Tree with 9 votes.

I guess it's not just politicians who double down. 

No way is PT a neo prog band by any stretch of the imagination. LOL

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:46
Ok, I've decided that I'm the one who decides what this neo-prog is and what it is not. And so my decision is that anything released after and including A Trick of the Tail is neo-prog and stuff.

I have spoken.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 17:14

Ok, I've decided that I'm the one who decides what this neo-prog is and what it is not. And so my decision is that anything released after and including A Trick of the Tail is neo-prog and stuff.

I have spoken.
The on-going debate about what is and isn't Neo-Prog has seemingly become more important than the results of the actual poll. Tongue
 I don't regret including all 22 of those bands (especially Porcupine Tree) in the poll. but I DO regret leaving out one of my favourite prog bands,  Mostly Autumn. Tongue 

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 17:50

The on-going debate about what is and isn't Neo-Prog has seemingly become more important than the results of the actual poll. Tongue
 I don't regret including all 22 of those bands (especially Porcupine Tree) in the poll. but I DO regret leaving out one of my favourite prog bands,  Mostly Autumn. Tongue 

Right on man, it's your poll, no regrets. It's not like you included ELP or classic Genesis, or something like that. So nothing that's clearly wrong with it, just people being a little nitpicky. You're handling it well though.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:15

Right on man, it's your poll, no regrets. It's not like you included ELP or classic Genesis, or something like that. So nothing that's clearly wrong with it, just people being a little nitpicky. You're handling it well though.

Thanks for your support. Thumbs Up I'm relatively new to this site, having been here less than a month, and until I posted this poll, I didn't realise quite how seriously PA members take their music genres here, although it's been a fun debate. Wink

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:34
^ No problem at all. And yeah it's been interesting. Everyone wants to seem smart and Knowledgeable(especially when it comes to prog on here). I admit that I don't know that much and am more kind of the 'class clown' type. It gets me in trouble sometimes but I never mean any harm. 

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:38

I have spoken.

LOL

I can always count on this place for a good laugh. However, I will say that I've read that "a trick of the tail" was possibly the inspiration for much of the neo prog sound. So maybe it was proto neo? Same thing with Saga maybe.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:45

LOL

I can always count on this place for a good laugh. However, I will say that I've read that "a trick of the tail" was possibly the inspiration for much of the neo prog sound. So maybe it was proto neo? Same thing with Saga maybe.

Good, that's exactly how it was intended. And yeah maybe, that makes sense to me.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 19:14

LOL

Good, that's exactly how it was intended. And yeah maybe, that makes sense to me.

I've also heard that their "and then there were three" album was the first neo prog album and I'm sure it was listened to but in my opinion early Saga was probably closer to what the neo prog bands were about to explore. I think even early 80's Rush could have been an influence to be honest. It's one of those things where you would have to hear the bands themselves say exactly who they listened to or what they were influenced by exactly to know for sure. I do think that neo prog bands were influenced by more than just prog though. I think they also were cognizant of the punk and new wave scenes going on even if they didn't sound much(or anything)like them.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 19:48

I've also heard that their "and then there were three" album was the first neo prog album and I'm sure it was listened to but in my opinion early Saga was probably closer to what the neo prog bands were about to explore. I think even early 80's Rush could have been an influence to be honest. It's one of those things where you would have to hear the bands themselves say exactly who they listened to or what they were influenced by exactly to know for sure. I do think that neo prog bands were influenced by more than just prog though. I think they also were cognizant of the punk and new wave scenes going on even if they didn't sound much(or anything)like them.

Hard to beat early Saga. And yeah they had to have at least been aware of the punk and new scenes going on at the time, if not a little bit influenced by them.

Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 00:13
It's ironic that I've been criticised for including too many artists in this poll, when the reverse has happened in my recent Prog-Folk poll, where I've been criticised for omitting several major artists from the poll, but that's okay, it's all good fun. Smile

Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 01:06

I have spoken.

LOL

The point is that the architects of 'neo prog' (the likes of Martin Orford , Clive Nolan and Mark Kelly) took a lot of inspiration from this as it was an accessible prog album and that is where they saw the genre going. ie away from technical driven instrumental heavy prog about abstract subjects to a more song based approach with more grounded lyrics.
They decided what it was in the eighties and there is a clear acceptance of this in a lot of the music stylings. The 90's saw a new wave of symphonic prog coming initially from Sweden where the likes of Par Lindh and Roine Stolte formed the 'Art Rock Society'. Their intention was to bring back the full on symph sound .This is not my opinion it's just a fact. 'Neo' has it's own thing and not recognising that is a mistake as otherwise it's just an inferior form of symph. PT and Anethama are obviously also not connected to neo either although I love them all the same!

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 01:53
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Currently The Tangent, although they have little to do with Neo-Prog. It seems that the term "Neo-Prog" refers to a generation rather than a subgenre in this thread.

Yes, Neo-Prog to me is more of a generational term, meaning any Progressive Rock band that formed from the 1980's onwards. Marillion & IQ are currently level in the poll with 11 votes each. I've never been a fan of Marillion, but I'll definitely be checking out the music of IQ, seeing as they've been rated so highly in this poll. Thanks for everyone's contributions to this poll and thread. It feels wonderful to be part of a music community again after the demise of my You Tube Music site in 2015.  Heart

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:34

[QUOTE=someone_else]Marillion & IQ are currently level in the poll with 11 votes each

No they're not, I've just put IQ in their rightful position (although I love most of Marillion's output too!)

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:48
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

[QUOTE=someone_else]Marillion & IQ are currently level in the poll with 11 votes each

No they're not, I've just put IQ in their rightful position (although I love most of Marillion's output too!)

They're now level in the poll with 12 votes each. Smile

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 04:07
Marillion, followed by Twelfth Night and IQ

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 00:14
Obviously all the Porcupine Tree votes would have gone to IQ damn it!

Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 00:28
Based on the results of this poll, I'll definitely be checking out the music of IQ, having never listened to them before. I just hope they don't sound like Marillion. Tongue

Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:33

Based on the results of this poll, I'll definitely be checking out the music of IQ, having never listened to them before. I just hope they don't sound like Marillion. Tongue

No they don't and it might be controversial to say it but I think they are better musicians. Mike Holmes is a great guitarist especially and Tim Esau and John Jowitt ( the only 2 bass players the band ever had) easily beat Pete Trewavas . Vocally I do like Steve Hogarth a lot although Pete Nicholls can trawl the depths of darkness better than anyone. Of course in the early days they lacked the presence and personality of a certain Mr Dick and that is the main (and possibly only) reason Marillion got ahead of the neo game.  (IMO) 

Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:45
It's good to know IQ sound nothing like Marillion. Smile I still haven't listened to all of Porcupine Tree's albums. I have three PT studio albums in my CD collection:- "Lightbulb Sun", "In Absentia" & "Deadwing"; one live album "Warsawa"; and one superb 2-CD compilation "Stars Die".

Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 23:24

It's good to know IQ sound nothing like Marillion. Smile I still haven't listened to all of Porcupine Tree's albums. I have three PT studio albums in my CD collection:- "Lightbulb Sun", "In Absentia" & "Deadwing"; one live album "Warsawa"; and one superb 2-CD compilation "Stars Die".

Those are all good ones to have. Fear Of A Blank Planet is absolutely essential PT and I think you would like Stupid Dream (more song based) so I would go to those next. After that Signify is a bit of a 'wildcard' entry but also has some strong material.

Date Posted: October 24 2019 at 01:11
I'd like to buy all of Porcupine Tree's albums on CD eventually, if I can find them at a bargain price.

Date Posted: October 25 2019 at 00:41

I'd like to buy all of Porcupine Tree's albums on CD eventually, if I can find them at a bargain price.

yeah they are one of those bands you want to 'complete'

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 25 2019 at 10:52
Frank Zappa

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk