Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121127
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Prog-Folk Artist
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Favourite Prog-Folk Artist
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:52
I'm guessing Jethro Tull will win this poll, although my vote goes to Blackmore's Night. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 08:50
I think you guess correctly

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 08:56
Yeah, Tull is probably my favorite in that they have the best overall output, but I'm a fan of Amazing Blondel also.  Unfortunately, they decided too soon to become a Bread-clone.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 09:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Yeah, Tull is probably my favorite in that they have the best overall output, but I'm a fan of Amazing Blondel also.  Unfortunately, they decided too soon to become a Bread-clone.

I can recommend Amazing Blondel's "Englishe Musicke" album, mainly because it's the only album of theirs I own. Tongue

Talking of Bread, I wondered about including Bread, Love & Dreams in my poll, but I wasn't sure if many PA members would have heard of them - although they have now. Tongue

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 09:29
From the list: IONA > Amazing Blondel

Off the list: German pagan folk band FAUN

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

It's good to see Iona receiving a vote, considering they're not nearly as well-known as Jethro Tull and the Strawbs. Iona's "Live in London" DVD is well-worth watching. I had a listen to Faun's "Walpurgisnacht" on YouTube a few moments ago and I like them. They remind me a lot of Blackmore's Night.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:01
Roy Harper for me. He's the only one with a top 10 all time album for me with Stormcock.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:22
Strawbs, but Amazing Blondel, Jethro Tull and Gordon Giltrap are all great.
Tull should win easily.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:25

true.  Perhaps not surprisingly since I loved Bread, I really enjoy Amazing Blondel's mid 1970s albums "Bloncel", "Mulgrave Street" and "Inspiration".  Lovely melodies, romantic lyrics, and some pretty fine backing musicians and orchestrations.  This is perhaps my favorite, just delightful

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:26
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Faun is pretty good, and hugely successful commercially in Germany

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:38
I'm putting in my vote for the Strawbs, although huge fan of JT (since they were so immensely popular and I like an underdog) and several other artists here....and I love Faun!  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:48
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

true.  Perhaps not surprisingly since I loved Bread, I really enjoy Amazing Blondel's mid 1970s albums "Bloncel", "Mulgrave Street" and "Inspiration".  Lovely melodies, romantic lyrics, and some pretty fine backing musicians and orchestrations.  This is perhaps my favorite, just delightful

That's a great song by Amazing Blondel and it's the first time I've ever heard that song. Thanks for sharing it. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:50
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I'm putting in my vote for the Strawbs, although huge fan of JT (since they were so immensely popular and I like an underdog) and several other artists here....and I love Faun!  

My favourite Strawbs album is "Hero and Heroine". In my opinion, that's their most prog-sounding album.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 10:53
I am avoiding the obvious vote for Tull, who I predict will dominate, and instead give it out to one of my other perennial favorites on the list - Anthony Phillips. The original Genesis guitarist has had a prolific and widely diverse career.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:22
Roy Harper, I guess out of these, followed by Quintessence. My list would be more acid folk (psychedelic folk) oriented.

Some of my favourites are:

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Catherine Ribeiro + 2 Bis
The Incredible String Band
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

And while not in PA, I can't mention folk without thinking of Nick Drake, or Donovan for that matter. When I joined this site, I think Gryphon was my favourite.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:31
Right with you on the acid folk, Logan! (or what I think of as psych-folk).

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:46

While I'm big on psych-folk, I also love folk music generally. There is so much wonderful to me folk music. I'm more of a folky than a rocker (though quite a few do great managing both). One will be more much likely to find me playing gentle, pastoral folk music than osmium, which is a very heavy metal indeed -- though actually I love Parliament's soulful Osmium album, but I digress yet again.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Roy Harper, I guess out of these, followed by Quintessence. My list would be more acid folk (psychedelic folk) oriented.

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

And while not in PA, I can't mention folk without thinking of Nick Drake, or Donovan for that matter. When I joined this site, I think Gryphon was my favourite.

Sorry Logan, I forgot to include Gryphon in my poll and it's too late for me to add them now. Unhappy I wish there was a way to edit polls after they've been submitted.

I'm really into Acid/Psych Folk too, and I like all of those artists you mentioned in your list. Thumbs Up

Osmium would make a great name for a Heavy Metal band. Tongue

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:51

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

Great list,  love all of those...
.btw...don't get how Trees , Amazing Blondel, Spyrogyra ,etc are prog folk and Fairport Convention isn't...and how in hell is Steeleye Span prog related and not prog folk..? What...?
And I have never..never...though Tull was prog 'folk'...I'm sorry there is certainly folk going on there but they are far more prog related than Steeleye who gets dumped into that area....who are more 'folky' than Tull at times.
At any rate obviously Tull is going to be a favorite on that list...but I am a big fan of Espers regarding prog folk.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:54

While I'm big on psych-folk, I also love folk music generally. There is so much wonderful to me folk music. I'm more of a folky than a rocker (though quite a few do great managing both). One will be more much likely to find me playing gentle, pastoral folk music than osmium, which is a very heavy metal indeed -- though actually I love Parliament's soulful Osmium album, but I digress yet again.

I always find your digressions agreeable, Logan.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

.btw...don't get how Trees , Amazing Blondel, Spyrogyra ,etc are prog folk and Fairport Convention isn't...and how in hell is Steeleye Span prog related and not prog folk..? What...?
And I have never..never...though Tull was prog 'folk'...I'm sorry there is certainly folk going on there but they are far more prog related than Steeleye who gets dumped into that area....who are more 'folky' than Tull at times.
At any rate obviously Tull is going to be a favorite on that list...but I am a big fan of Espers regarding prog folk.
  I was surprised to not see Fairport and Steeleye Span in this group.  Even The Pentangle wound some great electric bits into their music and blended other music into their primarily pastoral offerings.

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 13:02

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

I didn't include Fairport Convention or Steeleye Span in my poll because I consider them as tradidional Folk Rock bands and not Prog-Folk, but that's just my opinion. Smile

I like Espers too and I especially like their version of Blue Oyster Cult's "Flaming Telepaths" Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 13:03

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

I was surprised to not see Fairport and Steeleye Span in this group.  Even The Pentangle wound some great electric bits into their music and blended other music into their primarily pastoral offerings.

Yes....and it amazes me that others don't comment more on this...I mean Fairport and Steeleye are in prog related , but not Tull?  Seriously..?
Wacko

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 13:20
I wish I'd included Pentangle in the poll but it's too late now. Unhappy

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 14:04

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

Yes....and it amazes me that others don't comment more on this...I mean Fairport and Steeleye are in prog related , but not Tull?  Seriously..?
Wacko

I'm surprised I omitted Pentangle from my list, not that I was trying to be comprehensive, but it is one of my favourites , at least I remembered to add in Jan Dukes de Grey.

I think of Jethro Tull as more of an Eclectic Prog artist overall, but other than certian albums, I would not consider including him n my Prog Folk polls (I've had complaints when doing Prog Folk topics that I didn't include him).

As for Steeleye Span and Fairport convention, we had some related discussion on that as you probably remember.
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120127" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120127

-------------

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 14:19

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

Wacko

Doc, I don't disagree very much that Fairport and Steeleye should be prog folk, though I don't really care much either way, but surely Tull is far more prog than either of them.  There is an argument to be made that Tull should be in a different prog sub genre than prog folk, but, really, prog related?

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 14:29
To try and make amends for omitting Pentangle from my poll, here's a live video of their best-known song. "Light Flight"

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 14:43

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

Wacko

I'm surprised I omitted Pentangle from my list, not that I was trying to be comprehensive, but it is one of my favourites , at least I remembered to add in Jan Dukes de Grey.

I think of Jethro Tull as more of an Eclectic Prog artist overall, but other than certian albums, I would not consider including him n my Prog Folk polls (I've had complaints when doing Prog Folk topics that I didn't include him).

As for Steeleye Span and Fairport convention, we had some related discussion on that as you probably remember.
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120127" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120127

Eclectic prog might work....I just don't think prog folk is correct for Tull...far too much blues, rock, and other things going on to be prog folk.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 14:45

Spirogyra
Comus
Perry Leopold
Linda Perhacs
Vashti Bunyan
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Mark Fry
Sergius Golowin
Trees
Forest
Pearls Before Swine
Third Ear Band
These Trails
etc.

Wacko

Doc, I don't disagree very much that Fairport and Steeleye should be prog folk, though I don't really care much either way, but surely Tull is far more prog than either of them.  There is an argument to be made that Tull should be in a different prog sub genre than prog folk, but, really, prog related?

Ok...maybe not prog related but not prog folk for me. Perhaps eclectic as was said. But as I said Fairport and Steeleye are  more folk than Tull.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:05
^ I would agree that Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention are more folk than Tull, but I'd say that Tull is more Prog. I think SS and FC fit well in Related, and Tull I have suggested be moved to an Art Rock sub (Eclectic, or alternately, Crossover could be considered) many years ago, but it was felt that Tull was of sufficient importance to the Prog Folk scene for certain music that it is better left in Prog Folk (at least that's my recollection from over a decade ago). That said, even on many of his less folk albums, there is a folk music element. I'm not opposed to Tull in Prog Folk, even though were this my site, it would have been in an Art Rock category.

Classification matters less and less to me. It is more important to me that an act is in PA than where it gets placed. Ideally we would have album tagging by genres rather than just lumping an artist into one category along with the whole discography as it now works, but c'est la vie.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:20

Comus
Tim Buckley
Jan Dukes de Grey
Third Ear Band
Nick Drake.

Those would be right up there on my list.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm guessing Jethro Tull will win this poll, although my vote goes to Blackmore's Night. Smile

Yeah, I went with the obvious choice here.
But I do love your choice of Blackmore's Night.  It's not one most would admit to, and the whole renaissance fair angle sometimes gets it pegged as geeky, but there is some great stuff there.  A worthy selection!

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:46

^ I would agree that Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention are more folk than Tull, but I'd say that Tull is more Prog. I think SS and FC fit well in Related, and Tull I have suggested be moved to an Art Rock sub (Eclectic or alternately, Crossover... Heavy in places) many years ago, but it was felt that Tull was of sufficient importance to the Prog Folk scene for certain music that it is better left in Prog Folk (at least that's my recollection from over a decade ago). That said, even on many of his less folk albums, there is a folk music element. I'm not opposed to Tull in Prog Folk, even though were this my site, it would have been in an Art Rock category.

Classification matters less and less to me. It is more important to me that an act is in PA than where it gets placed. Ideally we would have album tagging by genres rather than just lumping an artist into one category along with the whole discography as it now works, but c'est la vie.

I remember having the same problem with classification when I worked as chief music editor on You Tube Music (an independently-run site separate from YouTube.com), where it was part of my role to categorise an artist in one single genre. We had just three genres for prog-related artists:- Progressive Rock (for classic 1970's Prog-Rock); Neo-Prog (for modern post-1980's Prog-Rock); & Symphonic Prog-Rock. It's good that we have all of these additional, specialist prog classifications on ProgArchives, such as Canterbury Scene; Crossover Prog; Eclectic Prog; & Heavy Prog, and so on, but if we'd had all of those additional genres on a general music site such as You Tube Music, it would have made things unnecessarily complicated and too cumbersome to manage. As it was, we had 20 primary genres of music and these were subdivided into 200 sub-genres of music. These were the 20 primary genres of music on You Tube Music:-

Alternative
Blues
Classical
Comedy & Novelty
Country
Dance
Easy Listening
Electronica
Folk
Inspirational & Gospel
Jazz
Latino
Metal
New Age
Pop
Reggae
Rock
Soul
Vocal
World Music

You may notice that our You Tube Music list of 20 primary music genres doesn't include Rap/Hip Hop, simply because it doesn't meet the dictionary definition of music, where music is described as "vocal or instrumental sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony and melody." Smile

• Posted By: MortSahlFan
    Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:01
    Jethro Tull< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.4">

-------------
    https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:26
    Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Yeah, I went with the obvious choice here.
    But I do love your choice of Blackmore's Night.  It's not one most would admit to, and the whole renaissance fair angle sometimes gets it pegged as geeky, but there is some great stuff there.  A worthy selection!

Thanks! I love Candice Night's voice in Blackmore's Night, and of course, Ritchie Blackmore's incredible guitar riffs. I'm thinking I might need another Acid-Psych-Prog-Folk-Rock poll to include Gryphon, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Incredible String Band, and many other Folk-related artists I missed out of this poll. Tongue

Posted By: Dellinger
    Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:47
    Perhaps Jethro Tull should have been omitted from this list to make things more interesting. I mean, it's obvious it would take just about all the votes, and it would have been nice to see the preference among the others.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:49

I do have a Faun album which I liked very much, though I still have to get a bit more from them. But I like Corvus Corax even better.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 17:00
    Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do have a Faun album which I liked very much, though I still have to get a bit more from them. But I like Corvus Corax even better.

I listened to Faun for the first time tonight after BrufordFreak mentioned them earlier in this thread. I like them too, even though they sing in their native German language. Smile 

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:22
    It's no surprise that Jethro Tull are well ahead in the poll, but I am surprised that Roy Harper picked up three votes, as I've never rated him very highly as a singer.

Posted By: progmatic
    Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:34
    From this list Roy Harper as solo artist (Tim Buckley second if on list) and Strawbs as group. Tull is odd bird out here.

-------------
    PROGMATIC

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 19:38
    so many great prog folk groups...to list them all would make the poll unmanageable
    And Doc, I agree that Tull might fit better in eclectic.  The only two albums that seems truly prog folk are SFTW and HH, though folk has a hand in a lot of the other 1970s albums to one extent or another, which is part of what makes them eclectic in more than one sense.  Steeleye and Fairport are more folky for sure, but less proggy.  

Posted By: micky
    Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 21:28
    classic..  Pentangle.. by light years...

modern.. again by light years... Espers..   Meg..  I want you... badly babe...

-------------
    The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Man With Hat
    Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 21:33
    JT

-------------
    Dig me...But don't...Bury me
    I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
    Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 22:06
    Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

nah.  Clannad, man

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
    Date Posted: October 08 2019 at 22:34
    Trembling bells and Quintessence but no Fairport Convention, Circulus, Comus, Trees, Mellow Candle, Spirogyra, Al Stewart, Espers, ISB, Horslips etc. Lot's of omissions here. Anyway, my guess would be that Tull would win. 

Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 00:02
    Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Trembling bells and Quintessence but no Fairport Convention, Circulus, Comus, Trees, Mellow Candle, Spirogyra, Al Stewart, Espers, ISB, Horslips etc. Lot's of omissions here. Anyway, my guess would be that Tull would win. 

I like all of those artists you mentioned. Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Horslips, Steeleye Span, Gryphon & Incredible String Band definitely deserve a place in my next Folk-related poll. Smile

Posted By: Sean Trane
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 01:39

Spirogyra
    Comus
    Perry Leopold
    Linda Perhacs
    Vashti Bunyan
    Tim Buckley
    Jan Dukes de Grey
    Mark Fry
    Sergius Golowin
    Trees
    Forest
    Pearls Before Swine
    Third Ear Band
    These Trails
    etc.

this mostly

a much-better list than the one proposed above (I voted Harper, because he was mostly the only choice envisageable for me.

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

nah.  Clannad, man

Nownow, Ken dear,

For once Micky is right (Pentangle and EspersHeart) , now don't go and contradict him Clown

Posted By: uduwudu
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 02:30
    Oh well, IA is not as popular as his band now is he. Roy Harper for me. Worth two guitarists of anyone's band anytime.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 03:26
    My beloved Horslips...yes, as mentioned, they are missing from this list. Although they went from prog-folk to new wave in 1977; their evolution to me was as captivating as The Beatles transformation...probably a stretch there, but to me they were the "ant's pants".

Posted By: Mormegil
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 06:17
    Tull, followed closely by Ant Phillips.

-------------
    Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 06:30
    Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

My beloved Horslips...yes, as mentioned, they are missing from this list. Although they went from prog-folk to new wave in 1977; their evolution to me was as captivating as The Beatles transformation...probably a stretch there, but to me they were the "ant's pants".

Don't worry, I'll be sure to include Horslips in my next Folk-related poll, as well as including many of the other great bands mentioned in this thread. Smile

Jethro Tull are the clear winners in this poll, as expected, so I'll deliberately exclude them from the next poll to give the other Folk-related bands a chance of winning. Smile 

Posted By: SteveG
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 06:34
    A prog folk pull without Comus? Gezz-us. Confused

-------------
    This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Libor10
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 06:42
    JT. I grew up on them so it's obvious choice. Strawbs and Anthony Phillips are great and if there wouldn't be JT in the poll I 'd choose from them.

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 06:54
    Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A prog folk pull without Comus? Gezz-us. Confused

I like Comus too. Thumbs Up They'll be in my next Folk-related poll for sure! I can promise It'll be a much more inclusive poll than this one, using the full compliment of 25 poll choices with as many of the bands mentioned in this thread as I can possibly squeeze in. Smile

Posted By: presdoug
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 07:42
    From the list, Tull.

In general, Germany's Midnight Circus, who released one lp and a single on bellaphon records in 1972.

Posted By: TerLJack
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 09:35
    Iona>Anthony Phillips>JT

Had to think long about Iona over Anthony Phillips however.  Wish there was a multiple choice option here.

Posted By: tamijo_II
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 09:56
    Putting Jethro Tull here is like Soccer World Cup with Malta: Libanon; Bhutan and Germany

Can't vote but if I could also the mighty Tull.

Posted By: Progfan1958
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 10:56
    I'm voting off of the menu. The Decemberists are my choice,

-------------
    Progfan1958
    "Peace to you all"
    "La paix est avec vous"
    "Pax vobiscum"
    "Al salaam a'alaykum"
    "Vrede zij met u allen"
    "Shalom aleichem"

Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 10:57
    Have you heard them with the recently added Offa Rex, featuring Olivia Chaney?  Just dynamite, imho.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 11:55
    Though listed in this forum as prog-folk, Jethro Tull are not really prog-folk. Folk influenced maybe, but they had so many facets in their career, that is hard to considere them prog-folk. Gryphon, Amazing Blondel, etc, fit the category better.

Posted By: someone_else
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 14:53
    Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

Iona>Anthony Phillips>JT

Had to think long about Iona over Anthony Phillips however.  Wish there was a multiple choice option here.

Agreed. Some names such as The Pentangle, Tim Buckley or Nick Drake would make it even harder.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
    Date Posted: October 09 2019 at 14:55
    I voted Strawbs, but nearly voted for Blackmore's Night. 

Jethro Tull is too heavy metal for my tastes! LOL

-------------
    I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Hercules
    Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 03:11
    Tull are not really prog folk - they made about 3 albums that qualify.
    I'd go for Strawbs: saw the acoustic incarnation in York last night and they were absolutely brilliant. Pity only 50 bothered to turn up, but I got to shake Dave Cousins' hand and thank him for all the pleasure he and his band have given me over the last 48 years.

-------------
    A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 10:18
    Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Tull are not really prog folk - they made about 3 albums that qualify.
    I'd go for Strawbs: saw the acoustic incarnation in York last night and they were absolutely brilliant. Pity only 50 bothered to turn up, but I got to shake Dave Cousins' hand and thank him for all the pleasure he and his band have given me over the last 48 years.

Hey glad to hear you saw them.  The 50th was awesome and there are hopefully some videos and other recordings yet to come from it.  The highlight for me was Grave New World in its entirety, with Benedictus played at the start and the end!

Posted By: digdug
    Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 12:43
    Jethro Tull fits in fine as Prog Folk for me....  they are more PROG than folk but they are a lot folkier than most other prog bands.

I don't think Fairport Convention should be Prog Folk.... there's no Prog there that I can see...
    just Folk

-------------
    Prog On!

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 12:54
    Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

Jethro Tull fits in fine as Prog Folk for me....  they are more PROG than folk but they are a lot folkier than most other prog bands.

I don't think Fairport Convention should be Prog Folk.... there's no Prog there that I can see...
    just Folk

It makes a nice change for someone to agree with me on both the inclusion of Jethro Tull in this poll and the exclusion of Fairport Convention. Thumbs Up

I'm planning to include Fairport Convention in my next Folk-related poll though, which will be much more inclusive and extensive than this poll, to include many of the classic Folk bands mentioned in this thread. I'll be excluding Jethro Tull from my next poll though. because they're the clear winners of this poll, as expected, and it seems only fair to give the other remaining Folk bands a chance of winning in my next poll. Smile

Incidentally, when Sandy Denny left Fairport Convention to join Fotheringay, they were  mockingly referred to as  Fotheringport Confusion. Tongue

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:04
    Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Jethro Tull is too heavy metal for my tastes! LOL

It's nice to know there's someone here who doesn't take their music genres too seriously. Wink I have a feeling Jethro Tull wouldn't do nearly so well in a Heavy Metal poll. Big smile

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:09
    Sandy also sang with the Strawbs.  Maybe Fairport wasn't that proggy, but it certainly was an antecedent to others who were combining folk and electric and led to others who added more progressive embellishments to the same.  And poor JT was sadly added as a "heavy metal," artist in the Grammy's introduction of that category and won it (don't know if you remember that).  They were despised by metalheads for a long time for that one, but it wasn't their fault.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:21

Sandy also sang with the Strawbs.  Maybe Fairport wasn't that proggy, but it certainly was an antecedent to others who were combining folk and electric and led to others who added more progressive embellishments to the same.  And poor JT was sadly added as a "heavy metal," artist in the Grammy's introduction of that category and won it (don't know if you remember that).  They were despised by metalheads for a long time for that one, but it wasn't their fault.  

I remember the Strawbs first album with Sandy Denny. It was a great album. Thumbs Up

I had no idea Jethro Tull was entered in the Heavy Metal category at the Grammy awards. It's even funnier that they won it too. Tongue 

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:24
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Metal_Performance" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Metal_Performance

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:29
    I actually have a couple of Pentangle cds hiding somewhere. This thread has inspired me to try to find them and play them. Wink I don't have much folk/prog folk though. However, I also have a Fairport Convention and a Tim Buckley cd also hiding. 

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:31
    Not to be overly pedantic but technically JT were awarded best hard rock/heavy metal. I think JT winning caused the grammy powers that be to change it to just best heavy metal so there would be no mistaking what kind of music they were shooting for. I agree it was unfortunate though. 

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:34

I actually have a couple of Pentangle cds hiding somewhere. This thread has inspired me to try to find them and play them. Wink I don't have much folk/prog folk though. However, I also have a Fairport Convention and a Tim Buckley cd also hiding. 
      Love all of those artists.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:36

Not to be overly pedantic but technically JT were awarded best hard rock/heavy metal. I think JT winning caused the grammy powers that be to change it to just best heavy metal so there would be no mistaking what kind of music they were shooting for. I agree it was unfortunate though. 
    You are correct, I was just going off of my imperfect memory until I looked up the wiki on it, that's why I did, to see how close I was.  Where my memory does not fail is how reviled the band was for that.  Again, not their fault!

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:45
    Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

From the list, Tull.

In general, Germany's Midnight Circus, who released one lp and a single on bellaphon records in 1972.

that's a really good album Doug, especially the longest song, which is kind of like a prog version of California Dreamin'

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 14:02
    I just had a listen to the German band, Midnight Circus on YouTube and was pleasantly surprised to discover they sing in English. They sound "wunderbar!" Thumbs Up

I now need to find the longest song on the album which sounds like "California Dreaming" Smile

I Heart this site! It's such a great place to discover long-forgotten musical treasures from the past. Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 14:14

From the list, Tull.

that's a really good album Doug, especially the longest song, which is kind of like a prog version of California Dreamin'
    I just found the long Midnight Circus song that sounds like "California Dreamin'". It's called "November Church" and I loved it the instant I heard it. Heart

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 14:16

From the list, Tull.

I just found the long Midnight Circus song that sounds like "California Dreamin'". It's called "November Church" and I loved it the instant I heard it. Heart

Clap

that is the one.  Awesome song

I'm the only one who has reviewed the album so far

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=52971" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=52971

Posted By: richardh
    Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 14:31
    Such a strange sub genre to classify . I was going to mention East Of Eden but apparently they are 'Eclectic Prog' whatever that is.(probably just for bands that are too interesting to be in Crossover) . Renaissance and Curved Air always sound very folksy to me but they are presumably something else (I'm not even going to bother to check). Can't really vote as I don't see any bands on there that I love. Steeleye Spans Dodgy b*****ds is probably my favourite 'prog folk' album but hey ho.(BTW currently it has a perfect rating of 5 stars so must the best album ever made lol)

Date Posted: October 10 2019 at 14:42
    Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Such a strange sub genre to classify . I was going to mention East Of Eden but apparently they are 'Eclectic Prog' whatever that is.(probably just for bands that are too interesting to be in Crossover) . Renaissance and Curved Air always sound very folksy to me but they are presumably something else (I'm not even going to bother to check). Can't really vote as I don't see any bands on there that I love. Steeleye Spans Dodgy b*****ds is probably my favourite 'prog folk' album but hey ho.(BTW currently it has a perfect rating of 5 stars so must the best album ever made lol)

I'm not sure what Eclectic Prog is either. Smile

I remember East of Eden. They released a single called "Jig-a-Jig" which was a departure from their usual style of Jazz-Rock.

I'll be sure to include Steeleye Span  in my next Folk-related poll and also Curved Air and Renaissance in my next Prog-related poll, both of which will be coming up soon. Smile

Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:45

I listened to Faun for the first time tonight after BrufordFreak mentioned them earlier in this thread. I like them too, even though they sing in their native German language. Smile 

I don't see why singing in german should be a problem. I actually usually like when bands sing in their own native language (even if I don't understand the lyrics)... it makes them more interesting to me, and I feel they keep some closer identity to themselves (particularly with the italian bands). So how about Corvus Corax? you might just as well check them out too. The one I have (and love) from them is Gimlie, but there should be some more classic albums from them.

Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:48

I did check out a bit of Horslips a while ago because of them being mentioned in the forum, and I did like them very much. However, when I tried to check out albums to buy from them, it seems they are not easily available, or very expensive.

Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:49

Don't worry, I'll be sure to include Horslips in my next Folk-related poll, as well as including many of the other great bands mentioned in this thread. Smile

Jethro Tull are the clear winners in this poll, as expected, so I'll deliberately exclude them from the next poll to give the other Folk-related bands a chance of winning. Smile 

Couldn't Focus actually fit? They do have some very folky moments, though in other songs they don't really have much of it in them (but so is the case with Jethro Tull).

Posted By: Progosopher
    Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:17

Good call. The Tain and Book of Invasions are among the best of the genre. Although much more mainstream, Aliens is also an excellent album.

-------------
    The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:30

Couldn't Focus actually fit? They do have some very folky moments, though in other songs they don't really have much of it in them (but so is the case with Jethro Tull).

Focus will be one of the 25 bands featured in my upcoming classic Progressive Rock poll. Smile

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
    Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:44
    Lol no surprise here eh??

-------------
    “War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: October 12 2019 at 10:43
    Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Lol no surprise here eh??

Yep! It's a predictably clear win for Jethro Tull with well over 50% of the vote - a bit like Brexit. Wink

Posted By: geekfreak
    Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:34
    Tull 

-------------
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
    <

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk