Print Page | Close Window

Triumvirat Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121173
Printed Date: May 09 2024 at 03:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Triumvirat Appreciation Thread
Posted By: presdoug
Subject: Triumvirat Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: October 13 2019 at 13:40
As my older lengthy Triumvirat thread has been closed for some time, and it is exactly 50 years since the band was formed, I thought I would start a new Triumvirat Appreciation Thread.
           It is hard to believe that this group was started so long ago, and has gone through so many changes over the years, in personnel, musical focus, popularity, and status.
            As you folks know, I have tried my best to keep the flame of this prog band alive with my Triumvirat focus on the net, and this thread hopefully will continue to keep people listening to, and talking about, what will always be my favorite band.
             I encourage those who read these opening words to join with me in keeping alive Triumvirat and it's music.

Replies:
Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 12:39
Never heard of these guys. Where to start? LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 13:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

And I thought you were familiar with them.LOL

Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 14:20
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

And I thought you were familiar with them.LOL

They're Czechs, right? LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 14:37
I think they are that band that sound just a tiny bit like ELP. LOL

Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 17:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

According to Doug, they do NOT. They sound like T'rat. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 17:35

The debut album, Mediterranean Tales, sounds quite nice -- sounds quite The Nice that is.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 20:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The debut album, Mediterranean Tales, sounds quite nice -- sounds quite The Nice that is.
Seriously, they have their own, inimitable "vibe" or atmosphere to their music-they are truly unique-definitely a group in their own right.

Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 20:44

LOLWink

I recently revisited the first three albums.

Mediterranean Tales was a bit of a chore, I'm afraid. Yeah, it's not an outright ELP lampoon album, but you know Jurgen wants to be Keith. 

Illusions on a Double Dimple is a bit better, but for me, it lacks some oomph.

Spartacus — a clear winner as far as symphonic keyboard trio prog goes.

Ditto for Old Loves Die Hard.

So, Spartacus and OLDH remain the ones I'll hang on to. I'm not interested in anything they did post-OLDH.

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2019 at 21:46
Ooh, what a Lucky Girl she was... (Lucky Girl doesn't sound like Lucky Man).

Spartacus is good, with Illusions on a Double Dimple I really like a lot of "Mister Ten Percent" and the bonus tracks on the remaster. Don't get me wrong Doug, and I think I made that The Nice joke before, just because it reminds me of ELP and The Nice (Keith Emerson), it has its own flavourings too throughout albums (and other influences), but that ELP influence sounds pretty obvious at least in the early albums, and Jurgen compares pretty favourably to Keith. Nothing wrong with that.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 15 2019 at 00:31
Illusions is the album. Better than all ELP albums bar Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy and should be a top 50 prog album. Never cared for Spartacus though and that was a real sticking point for me initially. It is original (perhaps except for a few cheeky Keith Emerson keyboard refrains) but I find it all a bit too cheesey ( and I like cheese!) . BTW Jurgen did an excellent solo album Hard To Be God in the eighties a little bit in the style of Vangelis. Try to track that down if you can!

Date Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Illusions is the album. Better than all ELP albums bar Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy and should be a top 50 prog album. Never cared for Spartacus though and that was a real sticking point for me initially. It is original (perhaps except for a few cheeky Keith Emerson keyboard refrains) but I find it all a bit too cheesey ( and I like cheese!) . BTW Jurgen did an excellent solo album Hard To Be God in the eighties a little bit in the style of Vangelis. Try to track that down if you can!

I don't hear anything as compelling as "Tank," "Take a Pebble" or especially "Knife-Edge" on Illusions

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:00

Jurgen compares pretty favourably to Keith. Nothing wrong with that.

That's right.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:38
It is hard to say in a few words or sentences why I consider Triumvirat so special. Frankly, they do things for me that ELP don't, that no other group does, really.
        But the capability of appreciating and sensing something of value in music is a subjective analysis, I realise.
           Give me any of their first four albums over their colleagues in prog rock any day of the week! There is something so refreshing and vital in that early Triumvirat music that it floors the competition.
            And they never needed any theatrics in getting that across to audiences when they performed live; just the music sufficed.

Date Posted: October 15 2019 at 20:06

Date Posted: October 15 2019 at 20:09
^Photos of Triumvirat live in America on July 19th, 1975 from top left, Juergen Fritz, Helmut Koellen, and Hans Bathelt below

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 00:25

^Photos of Triumvirat live in America on July 19th, 1975 from top left, Juergen Fritz, Helmut Koellen, and Hans Bathelt below

Doug, I admire your loyalty to your favorite band!! 

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to send you what I promised, hang in there!  You'll like it!

Best, Chuck
Smile

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 00:51

I don't hear anything as compelling as "Tank," "Take a Pebble" or especially "Knife-Edge" on Illusions

I'm talking about whole albums and the first couple of ELP albums are hit and miss as far as I'm concerned even as a fan. Triumvirat were so much more organised and the music is impressively fluid . ELP were perhaps just too ego based (cliché number 133) but Karn Evil 9 and Toccata raised ELP to a level that few could follow (all in my opinion of course)

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 06:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Doug, I admire your loyalty to your favorite band!! 

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to send you what I promised, hang in there!  You'll like it!

Best, Chuck
Smile
Hey, Chuck, great to hear from you, and thanks for your continued interest and support. It means a lot, man! And am looking forward to the package-thanks!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:04
Well, I've tried listening to them but I'm afraid they do nothing for me. ELP trounce them in all departments for me - songwriting, musical ability and probably crucially the vocal department. Not a patch on Lake.

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 08:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, I've tried listening to them but I'm afraid they do nothing for me. ELP trounce them in all departments for me - songwriting, musical ability and probably crucially the vocal department. Not a patch on Lake.
To each his own. I admit the vocals on the debut album are no great shakes, but on Illusions and Spartacus, Helmut Koellen's vocals are superb, as are Barry Palmer's on OLDH, Pompeii and A La Carte. David Hanselmann and Arno Steffen's subsequent vocals are good, but of course, the music is not classic Triumvirat, unfortunately, on the last two albums.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 09:09
I didn't know up to a few minutes ago that this guy had been a member of Triumvirat at some point:

This was a hit single in Germany in 1983, quite funny and original, but pretty annoying at the same time. Tongue

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 10:12

I'm talking about whole albums and the first couple of ELP albums are hit and miss as far as I'm concerned even as a fan. Triumvirat were so much more organised and the music is impressively fluid . ELP were perhaps just too ego based (cliché number 133) but Karn Evil 9 and Toccata raised ELP to a level that few could follow (all in my opinion of course)

ELP's debut is fantastic, IMO. I don't think T'rat's writing is as robust till they hit Spartacus and OLDH, which I regard together as their zenith.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 10:17
^ I think you hit the nail on the head.  One can complain about going mainstream on OLDH but it's the songwriting that more than makes up for that questionable accusation

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ I think you hit the nail on the head.  One can complain about going mainstream on OLDH but it's the songwriting that more than makes up for that questionable accusation

OLDH also has a killer instrumental in "Panic on 5th Avenue." Clap

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:26
^Here, here! I also especially love the stirring, astounding solo piano work on the instrumental "A Day In A Life" Deeply moving.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:31
hmm it doesn't hurt that I love Barry Palmer's voice.  He did a great job on several of Mike Oldfield's singles and albums in the mid 1980s as well

Date Posted: November 03 2019 at 16:09
The Head Triumvirat Roadie was named Tarkus, I just found out from someone who would know a detail like that. Wish I knew his real name; I bet he would have some stories to tell!

Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 00:20
Bravo Magazine's issue of the 15 May, 1975, where they list their 12 top German rock acts, and Triumvirat is included

Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 12:32

Bravo Magazine's issue of the 15 May, 1975, where they list their 12 top German rock acts, and Triumvirat is included

I see TD is in there, as they should be.

I assume Eloy is one of the other six. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 19:23

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 26 2019 at 08:49
Triumvirat were absolutely stunning. Yeah, they kinda sounded like ELP but they were their own thing. Illusions and Spartacus are both pretty much perfect.

Posted By: drsitzes
Date Posted: June 27 2021 at 19:39
Start with Spartacus, their most popular recording.  After that, Illusions on a Double Dimple, IMO their greatest achievement from start to finish.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 27 2021 at 21:05
Illusions, Spartacus and OLDH have been companions since discovering the first one upon release. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: June 28 2021 at 04:18
I started with Spartacus and then got totally stuck. It was too 'pop opera' for my liking . Illusion is very impressive though and recently made the Rolling Stone Top 50 prog albums of all time!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: June 28 2021 at 09:17

Illusions On a Double Dimple has their most classic sound. Pompeii with Barry Palmer on vocals is pretty good, also.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 07:05
I've always loved the Triumvirat sound, it's something quite special and unique. I love their music and I'm glad somebody is trying to keep the flame alive.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 10:12
Thanks to the bumper...time to relisten to my copy of Illusions....Thumbs Up

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 11:08
Hi Doug, your package has been sent from the USA to Canada!  Cheers, Chuck!

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 15:59
Hey, Chuck, I have not posted on PA for a long while, but could not resist a big "Thank You!" to you. Looking forward to it, big time.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 16:45
Hey there Doug! Good to see you.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 17:30
^Hey, Steve, thanks for thinking of me! Doing not too badly, thanks. Hope things are well with you.

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 18:57
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Illusions On a Double Dimple has their most classic sound. Pompeii with Barry Palmer on vocals is pretty good, also.

Haha, I was joking! Big smile (And that post's a couple years old!)

I love Spartacus and OLDH and have no use for Pompeii (too watered down compared to its predecessors).

And here's a hot take for everyone: I don't like Mediterranean Tales. T'rat sounds like a half-cooked ELP wannabe on their debut. I'm glad they sorted things out and found their "voice," so to speak!

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2021 at 19:00
Presdoug in ze haus!

-------------

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: October 05 2021 at 12:08
I'm a big fan of Triumvirat.  Mediterranean Tales and Illusions are my faves, but I actually like all their studio albums, and despite the frequent comparisons to ELP, I think Triumvirat have plenty of originality.

verslibre - love your avatar.  Stuntman is one of my favorites by Froese.  Epsilon in Malaysian Pale is my top favorite of his solo stuff, but Stuntman is a real gem.

Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 14:58
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

I'm a big fan of Triumvirat.  Mediterranean Tales and Illusions are my faves, but I actually like all their studio albums, and despite the frequent comparisons to ELP, I think Triumvirat have plenty of originality.

verslibre - love your avatar.  Stuntman is one of my favorites by Froese.  Epsilon in Malaysian Pale is my top favorite of his solo stuff, but Stuntman is a real gem.
Welcome to this thread! And thanks for reviving it.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 15:33
Well let's see if we can keep it moving along then...
I first heard T-Rat when i was in a small indie record store on a second level location in London ON. I was browsing when all of a sudden I heard the opening riff from Mediterranean Tales. I immediately stopped browsing and headed right to the counter. I bought the only copy they had, which had just come in that morning. It was an import so I think it cost me $15 or so (it was opened after all).
I saw/see the reasons for comparisons but I tend to agree they have their own voice. Far more Classical Jazz then ELP's Classical Rock format. But I love them both.

So I haven't read back all the posts here, but has anyone listened to or have any opinions of the Live at Ultrasonic Studios, NY 1974 recording. I understand there's not a lot else in this area.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 15:48

Clap Right on!

-------------

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 15:49
I remember seeing Triumvirat's albums in the record stores in the 70's and 80's, but wasn't exposed to the actual music until much later in life.  What finally drew me in was when I walked past a record store in Saarbrucken, Germany - and the window display had vinyl copies of Remember The Future, Magma Live/Hhai, and Mediterranean Tales.  Being a huge fan of the other two albums, I figured it would not be remiss for me to finally buy a Triumvirat album.  So glad I did!  (And that was one of the coolest record stores I ever shopped at!)

-------------
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS

Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 16:26
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I first heard T-Rat when i was in a small indie record store on a second level location in London ON. I was browsing when all of a sudden I heard the opening riff from Mediterranean Tales. I immediately stopped browsing and headed right to the counter. I bought the only copy they had, which had just come in that morning. It was an import so I think it cost me $15 or so (it was opened after all).
I saw/see the reasons for comparisons but I tend to agree they have their own voice. Far more Classical Jazz then ELP's Classical Rock format. But I love them both.

So I haven't read back all the posts here, but has anyone listened to or have any opinions of the Live at Ultrasonic Studios, NY 1974 recording. I understand there's not a lot else in this area.
Yes, as you have surmised, there is no real official complete live Triumvirat concert recording; nonetheless, I would highly recommend the Ultrasonics recording you mention; I have a Japanese cd remastering of it (Highland Project) and the performance is THE best live one of T'rat out there. There are several other boots of shows from the fall of 1974 out there and Ultrasonics has also better sound quality than them. Of course, a partial concert from 1975 has been circulating for some time, with the three tracks from Spartacus, and this in it's best remastering is tacked onto the Friday Music cd pressing of Spartacus (though the remastering of the studio album is not the best available) 

Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 16:32
I've always felt that the Ultrasonic Studio recording was a little too 'audience' for something that was supposed to be done in a studio setting (of any nature), I was disappointed when I first heard it. I had held out hope that a decent live recording would surface some day. Alas, it was not to be. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 16:35

I remember seeing Triumvirat's albums in the record stores in the 70's and 80's, but wasn't exposed to the actual music until much later in life.  What finally drew me in was when I walked past a record store in Saarbrucken, Germany - and the window display had vinyl copies of Remember The Future, Magma Live/Hhai, and Mediterranean Tales.  Being a huge fan of the other two albums, I figured it would not be remiss for me to finally buy a Triumvirat album.  So glad I did!  (And that was one of the coolest record stores I ever shopped at!)
That is a cool story. I first saw Illusions On A Double Dimple in used record stores in Ottawa in the early 1980s but never actually heard the band until a friend lent me lp copies of that album, and also Old Loves Die Hard in the spring of 1985, and they soon became my favorite band and are to this day; I found a used import lp copy of Mediterranean Tales in 1989 at an Ottawa used record store, and like the others was instantly floored by what I was hearing. I did not discover Spartacus until a year later, also a used lp.

Date Posted: October 07 2021 at 19:58

I've always felt that the Ultrasonic Studio recording was a little too 'audience' for something that was supposed to be done in a studio setting (of any nature), I was disappointed when I first heard it. I had held out hope that a decent live recording would surface some day. Alas, it was not to be. Cry
The great thing about the Ultrasonics recording is that it really captures the "magic" of Triumvirat live; such a special night it was, as it was the debut concert of the band in North America, and the small size of the place was truly an intimate setting, where everyone present could very well see and hear Triumvirat. If I had to go back in a time machine, I would pick that place and time!

Date Posted: October 08 2021 at 20:33
Some photos of Triumvirat at the Academy Of Music in New York City in the fall of 1974, where they opened that night for Blue Oyster Cult. At the left is Helmut Koellen, and to the right Juergen Fritz and Hans Bathelt.

Date Posted: October 08 2021 at 20:38

That is a cool story, as well. When I heard Mediterranean Tales for the first time, my jaw dropped witnessing the band's amazing instrumental prowess so evident on that album. 

Date Posted: October 09 2021 at 13:25
Rare photo of early Triumvirat-from left, Fritz, Bathelt, Koellen

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: March 19 2022 at 04:22
Have you noticed Mister 10 Percent ends with a very similar piano motif Illusions on a Double Dimple opens with? That's pretty awesome.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: March 19 2022 at 07:06
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Have you noticed Mister 10 Percent ends with a very similar piano motif Illusions on a Double Dimple opens with? That's pretty awesome.

You know, I had not really noticed that; pretty cool, indeed. I have a live boot of the band taped in Chalmette, Louisianna from the fall of 1974, and Juergen adds some of the solo piano music near the beginning of Mister Ten Percent later used in "A Day In My Life" on Old Loves Die Hard. I thought that was pretty awesome, as well.

Date Posted: December 13 2022 at 14:01
A magazine advert for Triumvirat in America from 1975.

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: December 13 2022 at 22:04
I heard Illusions On A Double Dimple on the radio. It was probably on WMMR or WYSP out of Philadelphia. I ran out and bought the album that week. Then I saw them on IN CONCERT. I brought the album to a friend's house. I said to her.."This is a new band and this is their first album "...She said.."They are not a new band and it is not their first album " Then she pulled out Mediterranean Tales and said.."This is their first album "

It was an import album with a flimsy cover..and a sticker on the front which red..."Another Import From Jem" That's how I ended up obtaining a copy of the album..through Jem Records mail order service. From that point onward I collected every Triumvirate album as they were released. Curt Cress played drums on a later release..probably Pompeii...and I was a huge fan of Passport so it was exciting that he was working with Triumvirate.

Date Posted: December 14 2022 at 12:54
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I heard Illusions On A Double Dimple on the radio. It was probably on WMMR or WYSP out of Philadelphia. I ran out and bought the album that week. Then I saw them on IN CONCERT. I brought the album to a friend's house. I said to her.."This is a new band and this is their first album "...She said.."They are not a new band and it is not their first album " Then she pulled out Mediterranean Tales and said.."This is their first album "

It was an import album with a flimsy cover..and a sticker on the front which red..."Another Import From Jem" That's how I ended up obtaining a copy of the album..through Jem Records mail order service. From that point onward I collected every Triumvirate album as they were released. Curt Cress played drums on a later release..probably Pompeii...and I was a huge fan of Passport so it was exciting that he was working with Triumvirate.
Thanks for sharing this Triumvirat story. 

Date Posted: December 21 2022 at 18:12
There is less than a minute  of footage, and the audio doesn't match, but this is the only available video footage of the band with the Helmut Koellen, Juergen Fritz, and Hans Bathelt lineup. And this is all that will surface in video of that era. Believe me, I have searched and researched it. Helmut articulating his vocals, and you can also see him for a few seconds playing beside his cousin Juergen.

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 05:55
I've a question. How do you find the echo'd "slapback" drum sound on "Illusions..."? Do you like it? It's kinda weird, because it sounds like the drummer is flamming every note. For that type of music it almost works, but IMHO the album would've sounded way better without that echo on the drums.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2023 at 07:45

I've a question. How do you find the echo'd "slapback" drum sound on "Illusions..."? Do you like it? It's kinda weird, because it sounds like the drummer is flamming every note. For that type of music it almost works, but IMHO the album would've sounded way better without that echo on the drums.
I do like it; I wouldn't want to change anything on Illusions, even if I could.

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: May 18 2023 at 10:10

It's definitely a kind of "slapback " on the snare drum and it's definitely not more commonly used in Prog. A more commonly usage of delay is a slight repeat on an instrument. For example the slight delay on Rick Wright's keyboards creates an ethereal affect which is smooth. On Triumvirat the slapback delay is quick and snappy . It doesn't resonate their music, but gives it a peculiar drive .

It's the exact same effect used by certain Blues guitarists in the studio ...as if they are trying to capture the acoustics of a juke joint in the Southern United States back in the 1930's and 40's . It's not concert hall type of acoustics and it's a million miles away from sounding like an instrument being played in a Cathedral. It's a kind of punch impact to the driving rhythm in Triumvirat's case. Obviously they decided on that sound for a reason. I do understand how it gives the music on Illusions character. It's a strange album and I like it!

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: May 21 2023 at 23:32
I saw them in 1974 opening for Jefferson Starship and Fleetwood Mac (Pre Nicks and Buckingham) in LA at the Shrine Auditorium.  Played about 45-50 minutes and played some of Double Dimple and called it by name.  The other songs I do not know.  They were good but they were not like ELP who I saw in Feb of 1974 at the Anaheim Convention Center on the BSS tour and at CalJam 1, a few weeks later.  Hanz is the one who pushed the Emerson vibe wearing similar clothes and stage presence and he played well but the other two I didn't see the same with Lake and Palmer.  The music was good enough for me to purchase their album but I only listened to it once in a while.  Didn't stick to the ribs with me but I understand others like them very much, so enjoy! 

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: May 22 2023 at 02:36
I love this band. 

Controversial opinion, I even quite like 'A La Carte' and 'Russian Roulette'. Smile

Date Posted: January 12 2024 at 13:22
A concert that was advertised, that did not take place, unfortunately. Triumvirat had passport difficulties with Canadian appearances at the time. It ended up being Chilliwack with BTO. But the advertisement looks cool, anyway...

Triumvirat Concert & Tour History | Concert Archives

Date Posted: January 12 2024 at 14:27
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I love this band. 

Controversial opinion, I even quite like 'A La Carte' and 'Russian Roulette'. Smile

I think the following, for instance, is fine for what it is. But, good, bad, or other, people can be negative about such things for what it is not. I don't care much if music is good, just that I enjoy it.

I think Chilliwack and BTO might appreciate that. I enjoy it.

Date Posted: January 12 2024 at 14:45

I like Barry Palmer's vocals both in Triumvirat and Satin Whale. It would've been awesome to hear him sing some Köllen material if only it existed.

EDIT:
Also, I find Take a Break Today enjoyable. The best thing about it is the illustrative sound effects! :3 That's really cute.
Take a listen and pay attention to this:

🗎❛The Sunset Boulevard traffic lights all synthesized in tune❜ ― 🔈 sci fi style synth arps signifying the traffic lights lighting up in sync

🗎❛On Sunday afternoon with people on the run❜ ― 🔈 angular syncopated drum fill signifying a bunch of people walking in different directions

🗎❛The New York jets they say flew in from JFK❜ ― 🔈 filtered noise oscillator signifying jet planes taking off

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2024 at 19:53

I like Barry Palmer's vocals both in Triumvirat and Satin Whale. It would've been awesome to hear him sing some Köllen material if only it existed.

EDIT:
Also, I find Take a Break Today enjoyable. The best thing about it is the illustrative sound effects! :3 That's really cute.
Take a listen and pay attention to this:

🗎❛The Sunset Boulevard traffic lights all synthesized in tune❜ ― 🔈 sci fi style synth arps signifying the traffic lights lighting up in sync

🗎❛On Sunday afternoon with people on the run❜ ― 🔈 angular syncopated drum fill signifying a bunch of people walking in different directions

🗎❛The New York jets they say flew in from JFK❜ ― 🔈 filtered noise oscillator signifying jet planes taking off
^^That is interesting. There are two different versions of that song, Barry Palmer's and one sung by Doug Fieger, later of The Knack. I prefer Barry's vocals. The Fieger version of the song was included as a bonus track on the deluxe Friday Music edition of Spartacus.....

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 13:34

^^That is interesting. There are two different versions of that song, Barry Palmer's and one sung by Doug Fieger, later of The Knack. I prefer Barry's vocals. The Fieger version of the song was included as a bonus track on the deluxe Friday Music edition of Spartacus.....

Are you sure you're not making this up? I can't find it anywhere. Might as well be lost media.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 13:46

Are you sure you're not making this up? I can't find it anywhere. Might as well be lost media.

It's the last bonus track on this particular reissue.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7740547-Triumvirat-Spartacus" rel="nofollow - https://www.discogs.com/release/7740547-Triumvirat-Spartacus

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 15:02

It's the last bonus track on this particular reissue.

https://www.discogs.com/release/7740547-Triumvirat-Spartacus" rel="nofollow - https://www.discogs.com/release/7740547-Triumvirat-Spartacus

verslibre, thanks for that. I am facebook friends with the director of Friday Music, who knew Doug Fieger, and he explained the connection to me.  Hrychu, I don't bs about Triumvirat.....

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 15:18
To paraphrase a common saying: "audio or it didn't happen"

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 15:27
No YouTube over there, buddy?

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 15:40

No YouTube over there, buddy?

whoa! for some reason the search results completely skipped over this one. O_O stupid YT search algorithm!

EDIT:
I listened to it. It's super weird. Feels kinda like a karaoke. xD From what I can hear, the backing track is mostly the same recording (except for the piano) as the Barry Palmer version but with a completely different mix (different level balance, panning, EQ and so on), and played at a different speed.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 17:00
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

It's definitely a kind of "slapback " on the snare drum and it's definitely not more commonly used in Prog. A more commonly usage of delay is a slight repeat on an instrument. For example the slight delay on Rick Wright's keyboards creates an ethereal affect which is smooth. On Triumvirat the slapback delay is quick and snappy . It doesn't resonate their music, but gives it a peculiar drive .

It's the exact same effect used by certain Blues guitarists in the studio ...as if they are trying to capture the acoustics of a juke joint in the Southern United States back in the 1930's and 40's . It's not concert hall type of acoustics and it's a million miles away from sounding like an instrument being played in a Cathedral. It's a kind of punch impact to the driving rhythm in Triumvirat's case. Obviously they decided on that sound for a reason. I do understand how it gives the music on Illusions character. It's a strange album and I like it!

Is this anything to do with the 'gated reverb' affect that was used by Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins on PG3 and later just by Collins on In The Air Tonight? It seems that Steve Lillywhite and Hugh Padgham are credited with developing it as a production technique in the late 70's and early 80's. 

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 17:09

Is this anything to do with the 'gated reverb' affect that was used by Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins on PG3 and later just by Collins on In The Air Tonight?
No. It's a totally different sound! The IoaDD drum sound is super dry and crispy, exactly what you'd expect from a 70's drum recording, except the snare mic track has a short repeat after the initial hit, so insted of 'Ptsch', you hear 'PtschPtsch'. :)

-------------

Posted By: ricerob
Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 17:59
Underappreciated band. Every album I've heard is superb. Looking forward to listen to more in the future.

Date Posted: January 13 2024 at 23:20

Is this anything to do with the 'gated reverb' affect that was used by Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins on PG3 and later just by Collins on In The Air Tonight?
No. It's a totally different sound! The IoaDD drum sound is super dry and crispy, exactly what you'd expect from a 70's drum recording, except the snare mic track has a short repeat after the initial hit, so insted of 'Ptsch', you hear 'PtschPtsch'. :)

Different sound for sure but was just wondering of the production techniques were in anyway similar Smile

Date Posted: January 14 2024 at 13:15
No clue. You gotta ask the engineer. I think they used a different technique because in 1973-1974 the commonly used recording techniques were different in general to what came along in the early 80's plus the gated reverb sound was originally achieved by recording the drums in a stone room I think and placing the microphones in a very specific spot. On IoaDD my guess would be that the mixer used a tape echo or something similar.

-------------

Posted By: Dapper~Blueberries
Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 11:28
You know this group has kind of always interested me, but I never got around to listening to them. I heard they were kind of like ELP, and as a ELP fan that certainly intrigues me. Plus Double Dimple and Spartacus have really cute album covers, I mean look at that little mousey! They're adorable! :3

-------------
D~B

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 13:27
You definitely should!

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 16:45
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

You know this group has kind of always interested me, but I never got around to listening to them. I heard they were kind of like ELP, and as a ELP fan that certainly intrigues me. Plus Double Dimple and Spartacus have really cute album covers, I mean look at that little mousey! They're adorable! :3
Where ELP were a gritty and heavy organ driven band, T-Rat was a little more refined and jazzy. Now don't get me wrong, They are excellent prog/symphonic. So if you haven't really sat down and given them a listen, then take it from me (a HUGE ELP fan)...Do It ! Go through the discography chronologically, you won't be disappointment. Well, until you get to Russian Roulette, then all bets are off.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 17:02

Where ELP were a gritty and heavy organ driven band, T-Rat was a little more refined and jazzy. Now don't get me wrong, They are excellent prog/symphonic. So if you haven't really sat down and given them a listen, then take it from me (a HUGE ELP fan)...Do It ! Go through the discography chronologically, you won't be disappointment. Well, until you get to Russian Roulette, then all bets are off.
They have been compared to ELP, but, I find they have their own overall vibe or atmosphere to their music, so for me, they are unique! Let us all know what you think of them. And, yeah, their last official album Russian Roulette is a pretty far stretch from their appealing characteristics.

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 20:56
Alrighty. I'll check em' out soon enough!

-------------
D~B

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: February 02 2024 at 01:12

Hi Dylan; I also enjoy Triumvirat very much. Whilst I think Dimple is their finest offering (Spartacus not far behind), I would actually say Mediterranean Tales (debut) is a very good place to start, to get into their sound; it's not quite as complex and I think it's quite underrated.  It's also usually the one you can pick up cheapest!

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: February 02 2024 at 06:27

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2024 at 08:44
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Hi Dylan; I also enjoy Triumvirat very much. Whilst I think Dimple is their finest offering (Spartacus not far behind), I would actually say Mediterranean Tales (debut) is a very good place to start, to get into their sound; it's not quite as complex and I think it's quite underrated.  It's also usually the one you can pick up cheapest!

Alrighty! I will be sure to check that out first

-------------
D~B

Date Posted: February 02 2024 at 13:34
Just my opinion, but the best place to start, especially if you're already an ELP diehard, is Spartacus.

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2024 at 13:54
But you know what got me hooked personally? IoaDD.

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2024 at 13:51
So I have just finished the first 3 Triumvirat records, and they don't quite remind me of ELP, more so stuff from the RPI scene like PFM or Le Orme. But they're really good, honestly surprised I have not heard any of their stuff earlier. I think my favorite of theirs right now is Spartacus, just very consistently good.

-------------
D~B

Date Posted: February 07 2024 at 17:41

So I have just finished the first 3 Triumvirat records, and they don't quite remind me of ELP, more so stuff from the RPI scene like PFM or Le Orme. But they're really good, honestly surprised I have not heard any of their stuff earlier. I think my favorite of theirs right now is Spartacus, just very consistently good.
Thanks for your impressions. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: February 27 2024 at 16:20
Listening to 'Illusions on a Double Dimple' right now (first time listen) I can certainly see the ELP influence, they're similar, but Triumvrate seems lighter, less bombastic. Fantastic record this!

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Date Posted: February 28 2024 at 03:04
IoaDD is a particularly lighthearted album. One of the things that makes it unique and differentiates it from ELP's output is the use of guest strings, horns, female harmony adlibs, occasional co-lead vocals (provided by Fritz), and lots of acoustic guitar (used more extensively that on any studio ELP album)

EDIT: I listened to the title song again, and noticed an uncredited harpsichord part at 9:46! How could I not notice it before!? xD Also there's a clavinet riff at 13:10 (miscredited as electric piano). EDIT2: it actually might be a Hohner Pianet N.

EDIT3: Or maybe Fritz had a Hohner Duo? It's technically an Pianet N electric piano with a clavinet mechanism inside.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2024 at 13:58
I have been facebook friends with former Triumvirat singers Barry Palmer and David Hanselmann for quite some time, and both have mentioned something is in the works-what and to what extent I do not know, yet-regarding a revival of Triumvirat.....Hanselmann said he had been in conversation with Juergen Fritz.....I will keep you people that are interested posted of developments.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: March 26 2024 at 10:42
^ Interesting, so yes, please, keep us posted.
Can also become something very disappointing, with so much time passed since (either too retro or too distant...), but it will be interesting anyway to hear it if something new will be released.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: April 02 2024 at 05:33
One for you Doug. I'm currently de-cluttering and came across a number of music mags I used to read. Most have articles about ELP (my fav band). However I did see this.
From the Jan. 1976 Issue of Circus magazine

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2024 at 10:15

One for you Doug. I'm currently de-cluttering and came across a number of music mags I used to read. Most have articles about ELP (my fav band). However I did see this.
From the Jan. 1976 Issue of Circus magazine

Awesome! Barry Palmer mentioned in his site that they had this poster all over North America at the time....Barry wanted to tour the album in North America , etc., but Juergen wouldn't, and Palmer felt it was a lost opportunity....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk