Print Page | Close Window

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121204
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 21:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:48
I assume most people on this site are pretty open minded about music & enjoy exploring different artists but I'm sure there are bands we all try to get in to, but we just can't . We don't say that they are bad or not talented , they're just not for you. 

One for me is defiantly Van Der Graaf Generator. I've trier several times, in fact I just tried a few minutes ago but it's just not for me. (I know a lot of people on the site love them) 

So who is it for you?

Replies:
Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:54
 Transatlantic. Vocals aren't to my liking.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 13:21
Early Soft Machine and VDGG are two that come to mind.  

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 13:45
While I've been fairly dismissive of some bands and albums, honestly, if I've delved into any one enough and had the right mind-set, I've always found something to appreciate. That said, many bands and styles ultimately are just not really for me even if I can appreciate and enjoy something about them. I don't have patience for working to try to like something (I prefer to let music wash over me), but there have been times that I wanted to feel I understood music I didn't like more.

Sorry, it would be easier for me to name ones that I tried and didn't like much, then later tried and loved. I can tell early on if certain music is likely to ever appeal (there is some music that is anathema to me), but sometimes I try a band again because I feel I might have heard the wrong album or song, and sometimes the right recommendations have changed my feelings towards a band.

I guess when I was really delving into Prog, I did try to get into some stuff such as Transatlantic as I'd bought an album based on a recommendation. Much later I appreciated the band more even if it will never really be my thing. I actually rather think that hearing various melodic rock/ AORish Prog was an impetus for me exploring some of the less commercial music avenues, such as Avant Prog. I needed an antidote, and the more experimental, often dissonant music provided that, but not metal (well, some had metal as an element, but I've always been more of a folkie than a rocker at heart and my first love was classical music)....

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 13:49
There are three classic Prog-Rock bands that come to mind that I've struggled to get into:- Gentle Giant; Soft Machine; & Van der Graaf Generator.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 13:55
The new IQ album tbh

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 14:07
Marillion are the one I try every 4 or 5 years, still nothing.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 14:29
Dream Theater. We even went to see them when they headlined the Prog Nation tour in 2010. We left half an hour into their set, feeling as if someone had been hitting us on the head the whole time LOL.

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 14:32
Early Van Der Graff Generator and King Crimson after the album debut. Never really understood the Frank Zappa appeal, a great musician and thinker but for me is impossible to digest his albums.

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 14:39
Anything to do with Neal Morse and Kevin Moore.  I just don't like their vocals with no emotion.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

Early Van Der Graff Generator and King Crimson after the album debut. Never really understood the Frank Zappa appeal, a great musician and thinker but for me is impossible to digest his albums.

I agree totally. I've never liked Van der Graaf Generator, I only liked the first King Crimson album, and I've never been able to get into the music of Frank Zappa.

Posted By: Homotopy
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 14:53
Don't know if it's allowed to write such things here - but Yes. I find them rather annoying than pleasant. Big Big Train is also not my cup of tea. I tried hard but they leave me cold.

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 15:09
Asia & GTR disappointing for me considering who was in those bands. 
DreamT have a style i'll never truly love but growing a little on me over time. 
Neal Morse/Transatlantic not my thing either but I don't know anyone who plays them so haven't attempted too much.   

-------------
Same person as this profile:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 15:17
Tool... just don't get why they are so popular. 
Bent Knee... only because of the shrill vocals. Otherwise, great music.
Magma... completely out of my musical universe.
Between the Buried & Me... heavy music but growling vocals make me laugh and not take it serious.
Marillion… not for me too mellow-ish.
Devin Townsend... talented and weird... just not my cup o' tea. 
Thinking Plague... great musicians, but too hard for me to understand.

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 15:18
Zardoz!

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 16:15
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Tool... just don't get why they are so popular. 
Bent Knee... only because of the shrill vocals. Otherwise, great music.
Magma... completely out of my musical universe.
Between the Buried & Me... heavy music but growling vocals make me laugh and not take it serious.
Marillion… not for me too mellow-ish.
Devin Townsend... talented and weird... just not my cup o' tea. 
Thinking Plague... great musicians, but too hard for me to understand.

I’m definitely going to second tool, not for me. Ænima has some okay tunes, but overall they haven’t done much for me

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 17:48
This topic comes up every year or so. I will say the same thing I always say: if you are listening to a band/artist to "try to get into them", you are doing it wrong.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This topic comes up every year or so. I will say the same thing I always say: if you are listening to a band/artist to "try to get into them", you are doing it wrong.

I only listen to bands to try to "get out of them", and if I can't, then I like them.

"That's a joke, son"  LOL

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 19:24
The art (Meredith Monk) and the ignorant (barbu).

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 21:36
there are a lot of them but VDGG is a widely popular one that is impossible for me to understand--the voice is horrible and love a good voice---plus it sounds like a satire of what a 70's prog band should sound like--by someone who hates prog bands.Tongue

another confession:--as much as I love Bill Bruford and how sublime his playing is---lots of KC I can't get into---I don't like neurotic sounding music as I'm neurotic enough LOL

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 22:56
King Crimson to a good degree. I like them but there are just some pieces that just don't do it for me. 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:15
If I hear something by a band that interests me I will try to find more of it. Sometimes that quest is futile. This happened to me with Man. I can enjoy some Zappa, but for the most part I find his humor childish while at the same time admiring the music. I can get into Prog Metal at times, but for the most part I find it mere technicality with no artistry. And this includes Dream Theater. VdGG is intriguing but they too are a band I admire more than enjoy. And Porcupine Tree is completely over-rated.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Kempokid
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:17
Honestly Yes, they're enjoyable enough, but rarely end up wowing me in any particular way, I find them to be quite bland a lot of the time, yet I find myself often enjoying a lot of bands or songs that are clearly heavily Yes influenced. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:37
Pretty much any fusion music. 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:39
I think of Comus.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 00:33
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

If I hear something by a band that interests me I will try to find more of it. Sometimes that quest is futile. This happened to me with Man. I can enjoy some Zappa, but for the most part I find his humor childish while at the same time admiring the music. I can get into Prog Metal at times, but for the most part I find it mere technicality with no artistry. And this includes Dream Theater. VdGG is intriguing but they too are a band I admire more than enjoy. And Porcupine Tree is completely over-rated.

If you're looking for Progressive Metal that's more artistically pleasing and listenable than Dream Theater, then Ayreon might appeal to you...

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 00:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

If you're looking for Progressive Metal that's more artistically pleasing and listenable than Dream Theater, then Ayreon might appeal to you...

Ayreon are so overrated IMO, the last couple of albums were a chore to listen, too long and often "meh", heard it all before and better.

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 01:28
Hogarth era Marillion - the voice is fine for a bit at a time but after a while it's like - Holy Hell, I wish he would stop sobbing his angst out. Hogarth cries, Rothery's guitar cries and after a while I feel like crying.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 01:47
Dream Theater. All of. Every album. Their aesthetic. Their legacy. Does not compute, Batman.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 02:16
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

there are a lot of them but VDGG is a widely popular one that is impossible for me to understand--the voice is horrible and love a good voice---plus it sounds like a satire of what a 70's prog band should sound like--by someone who hates prog bands.Tongue

another confession:--as much as I love Bill Bruford and how sublime his playing is---lots of KC I can't get into---I don't like neurotic sounding music as I'm neurotic enough LOL

VdGG and GG took me two decades to click, but they both did the early-to mid-90's for me.
Neurotic Crimson  >> yeah, the 80's stuff and Ade Belew was the neurotic dude in there.

Anything Progmetal I can't get into (with Tool being the exception), but it's not like I gave most of them a fair chance.... all of it was so annoying that three minutes of "music" by any of them is a better than a vaccination campaign.

I did try a fair bit of those neo-prog bands in the 80/90's, but often it was whiny vocals that turned me of.

Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

Hogarth era Marillion - the voice is fine for a bit at a time but after a while it's like - Holy Hell, I wish he would stop sobbing his angst out. Hogarth cries, Rothery's guitar cries and after a while I feel like crying.

prime example of course.... and they influenced so many bands (such as Twin Age, etc...) with their whiny music that it was nauseating

Of course, Fish's Marillion was also very much influence-some, as there is a series of band that literaly cloned then (Aragon, Asgard , etc...)

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 03:27
quite  a few. :-
Jadis
Flower Kings
Frank Zappa
Transatlantic 
Big Big Train
Gentle Giant
Opeth
Dream Theatre 
Threshold 
Pineapple Thief
Devin Townsend 

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 03:54
The usual suspects I'm afraid: Tool, Dream Theater, Captain Beefheart, Matching Mole, Tangerine Dream, 'Pixieland' Gong, Wobbler, Phideaux, the Moody Blues, Rush, Hawkwind, Henry Cow, Floyd post Syd (the list goes on)

-------------

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 03:55
Recently I've been listening to a lot of modern progressive and found appreciation for Pendragon, The Flower Kings (Still processing the Unfold the Future 3LP), modern IQ, Kaipa, Mystery (One Among the Living) and Galahad (Empires Never Last).

Somehow I can't stand a even a single song of most progressive metal like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Threshold and Pain of Salvation. Usually the problems occurs as soon as the poppy refrains kick in. Sometimes albums just seem to drag on and on. That's how I experience Riverside. I did however advance in my appreciation for Fates Warning and Leprous.

Perhaps some-one can recommend me the least-poppy-refrain-stained albums of these bands?

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 04:40
Most neo prog except for Soltice and Hogarth era Marillion. Also GG and VDGG from the classic prog days. 

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 06:13
PT/Steven Wilson.
Tried, but can't see what the attraction is.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 06:43
There are several, well renowned classic era bands that I have tried to appreciate, but can't, unfortunately

Can
Amon Duul 2
Faust
Neu!

90 percent of the time, when I listen to music, I give it my undivided attention, and don't multi-task in any way. I listen about half of my time to classical music, and the rest, progressive.

The above bands were ground-breaking, and justifiably important, but not my thing.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 07:30
Yes.  Just no....

(well, mostly)

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:10
Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

Don't know if it's allowed to write such things here - but Yes. I find them rather annoying than pleasant.
<snip>
ShockedShockedShockedShocked
Heresy! And no, you’re not allowed to write such things here! POLICE!

Posted By: sidc58
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:27
The Mars Volta
Devin Townsend
Supertramp
and all the heavy metal groups where I do not hear prog like: Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.

-------------
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:29
Big Big Train
Spock’s Beard

Maybe Dream Theater too, but I haven’t put enough effort with them yet. I remain hopeful that they may click with me one day.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:17
I will leave Tull, VDGG and GG for a while...I have other music to explore...Spocks beard? So.e of their stuff is very accessible on first listen...V has two epics which are superb...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:24
Magma
Dream Theater
Tool
Marillion
Pendragon
Porcupine Tree
Anathema
Gazpacho
Cosmograf
Jadis
Soft Machine
Fates Warning
Saga

The list could go on and on. We all hear music differently. But that's awesome!!!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:29
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Magma
Dream Theater
Tool
Marillion
Pendragon
Porcupine Tree
Anathema
Gazpacho
Cosmograf
Jadis
Soft Machine
Fates Warning
Saga

The list could go on and on. We all hear music differently. But that's awesome!!!

what's wrong with Fates Warning? Why can't you get into them?

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:35
Not exactly a whole band, but there's so much rave about Tales from Topographic Oceans that I indeed gave it a lot of spins... still nothing doing...

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:58
Believe it or not there aren't many examples I can think of off the top of my head. However, a recent example for me would be Coheed and Cambria. I just don't get it. They sound like every other emo/nu metal band out there.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Not sure I agree with this statement. Some bands I like right away, for others it takes a little while to warm up to them. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:23

Ditto. I don't own anything after Clutching at Straws. I tried. I do like the title track of This Strange Engine, though.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:40
Most of all prog-metal bands, Marrilion, IQ, The Mars Volta, to name a few.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:50
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

The Mars Volta
Devin Townsend
Supertramp
and all the heavy metal groups where I do not hear prog like: Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.

Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't Prog

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 12:11
Gentle Giant: Octopus is the only album I like and even that I do not love.
King Crimson: Some tracks I like a lot but many others don't appeal to me at all.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 12:16
Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

Honestly Yes, they're enjoyable enough, but rarely end up wowing me in any particular way, I find them to be quite bland a lot of the time, yet I find myself often enjoying a lot of bands or songs that are clearly heavily Yes influenced. 

I much prefer King Crimson influenced bands than King Crimson themselves.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 12:32
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I quite commonly prefer The Beatles influenced bands than The Beatles themselves (that's lot of bands to choose from).

I like Yes best when it sort of meets King Crimson.

I'm not big on Yes. I loved Fragile as a teenager, and I still like it but rarely return to it, and I enjoy Time and a Word as well as The Yes album. For an album, I've probably given Close to the Edge more "tries" than any other album I never got into. I like the title-track, but even that not altogether.

One certainly needn't enjoy Yes to enjoy this forum.

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 13:57
Wilson/Porcupine Tree >> I stopped after Lightbulb, but only Sky Moves Sideways did something for me... during the 90's.

Saga - they were not really a hit in their hometown (Toronto) before hitting it big in Germany

Flower Kings - I tried hard to, but I totally gave up the first time I saw them live (on the Stardust tour, I think) when they couldn't playe Retropolis.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 15:13
Interesting topic.  I can appreciate the aesthetic of prog music.  I am primarily a jazz guy so prog definitely feeds that need.  But there were some bands who have been labeled prog and i just dont like them for one reason or another:
VDGG
IQ
Dream Theater (although I love Kevin Moore)
Spocks Beard (hate the voice on all these).

not a fan of Art Bears, but I love Henry Cow and Slap Happy.

Blasphemy as it is, I've never been a die hard beatles fan.  I will occasionally listen but never purposely play a beatles song.  Oddly enough a lot of my favorite things are born out of beatles fan-dom so maybe I'm nuts.

Prefer King crimson but only Larks tongues to three of a perfect pair.  Everything else is kinda crap to me although I am a total fan of Jakko Jakszyk and Adrian Belew.

This question/post has almost nearly driven me mad.  I think I could go on for days.  The beauty of Progressive Rock and music in general is the variety of flavors.  It is important to note, that taste evolves.  Who knows I may eventually fall in love with all the stuff above.  This is what makes life worth living and FUN.

Cheers! Cool

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 17:46
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I will leave Tull, VDGG and GG for a while...I have other music to explore...Spocks beard? So.e of their stuff is very accessible on first listen...V has two epics which are superb...
Accessible probably. There was something I didn’t like right off the bat with the harmonies, especially with the vocals. It’s hard to draw the line between “not getting into” a band and just plain disliking them. It doesn’t quite seem the same to me. Maybe it works in combination with one’s level of familiarity or something.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: sidc58
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 20:51
Well Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are on this site. There are a number of artists on this site that I do not consider to be Prog.

-------------
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)

Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 21:26
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

Well Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are on this site. There are a number of artists on this site that I do not consider to be Prog.

Well, Iron Maiden and Metallica are in "Prog Related", which is not thought of as a Prog category (although I would argue that Prog exists in the category, but Prog is to an extent in the ear of the behearer -- often depends on the specific associations we make with particular music). Anyway, such music is not my scene so I won't comment on the Prog quotient or Prog relatedness of any of those (even if I have read the arguments over the years). Except, I do know Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity" from its music video when it was new, and that certainly sounded very Pink Floyd related to me (as to how Prog Floyd is is also debatable).

Personally. I don't "try" to get into metal bands, or really any bands for many years, and my enjoyment is not predicated on how "Prog" something sounds to me. Most of the so-called Prog I like fits more under a Prog umbrella and a purist might consider outside of it.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 21:41
^ Maybe I need to hear more Queensryche but I don't really see how they are more progressive than Iron Maiden or Metallica. It seems to me the only reason they are considered prog metal and Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't is because of their use of keyboards. Metallica and Iron Maiden both seemed to have the technical elements of prog metal(time changes and instrumental sections) but without the window dressing(strings, keyboards etc). 

Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 21:51
^ And here I thought Prog Metal equaled metal plus keyboards. ;)

There's some awesome to my ears early "heavy metal" with keyboards, but that's for another topic.

-------------

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 17 2019 at 22:11
Henry Cow, I've tried but feels like work to try to like it. Some of it didn't even really sound musical to me. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, I think. I love Gentle Giant, starting to love Van der Graaf Generator, been listening to a lot of King Crimson this past week, love Spock's Beard, LOVE Frank Zappa. But Henry Cow idk, I'll try again at some point though.  

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 00:18
Man, is this thread cathartic or what?? 

Myself, I don't get into Rush nearly as much as others on PA seem to.  I followed the band from day one, every band in high school seemed to cover "Working Man!"  I saw them on a tiny college stage when "Fly by Night" was released, which was fun!  

I do enjoy the odd Rush song when it pops up on classic rock radio, but I don't sit down with their CDs and study them the way that I do with Yes, King Crimson, and Genesis.  

Neil Peart is a fine drummer, but I'm more into Bruford, Pierre Moerlen and others.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 05:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Henry Cow, I've tried but feels like work to try to like it. Some of it didn't even really sound musical to me. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, I think. I love Gentle Giant, starting to love Van der Graaf Generator, been listening to a lot of King Crimson this past week, love Spock's Beard, LOVE Frank Zappa. But Henry Cow idk, I'll try again at some point though.  

Start with Leg End, it's easily the most accessible, don't go anywhere near Western Culture until you're 'getting' the others.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 07:13
Not a band, and only prog-related, but I'm going to go ahead and lose my cool points by saying that after the Ziggy Stardust album, I can't get through a David Bowie album. I like a few songs here and there post-Ziggy: "We are the Dead" is haunting, "Heroes" is pretty epic and "Modern Love" is fun and catchy. but foor the most part, I'm like one of those old classic rock fans when it comes to Bowie. 
I should like the Berlin trilogy at least, cause they're revered by the shades-wearing hip crowd, as well as others, including his last, but I just can't, not even Diamond Dogs. I'm so lame I guess!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 08:26
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Not a band, and only prog-related, but I'm going to go ahead and lose my cool points by saying that after the Ziggy Stardust album, I can't get through a David Bowie album. I like a few songs here and there post-Ziggy: "We are the Dead" is haunting, "Heroes" is pretty epic and "Modern Love" is fun and catchy. but foor the most part, I'm like one of those old classic rock fans when it comes to Bowie. 
I should like the Berlin trilogy at least, cause they're revered by the shades-wearing hip crowd, as well as others, including his last, but I just can't, not even Diamond Dogs. I'm so lame I guess!

I have this issue with Low... and actually with Ziggy Stardust. Shocked Love some of his post-Ziggy stuff though.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 12:45

GENESIS.....but I like some of their solo stuff like i.e. Smallcreep's Day and some PG.
Dream Theater is another I can't get into even if Images and Words is a good album.

I had this problem with Tangerine Dream for many years then I became a fan, time will tell...

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 13:14
Lots of talk about Dream Theater....as a practicing musician who's seen them in concert, I'd like to say that DT seems to be into fast, long solos for their own sake.  Amazing technicians, but really, you could cut down on the blazing guitar solos and put some heart & soul into it! 

Technically, John Petrucci is one of the "best" guitarists I've ever seen (spoiler alert = I know RF), and his technique and skills are amazing!  I especially enjoy when DT covers other bands like King Crimson.  

However, I just don't listen to them much.  The keyboards are also quite over-done and overwhelming IMHO.  Wish I could play like that!

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 14:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Lots of talk about Dream Theater....as a practicing musician who's seen them in concert, I'd like to say that DT seems to be into fast, long solos for their own sake.  Amazing technicians, but really, you could cut down on the blazing guitar solos and put some heart & soul into it!

That's why I prefer the first album to the rest! The chops are there but the emphasis is on songs.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 18:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Start with Leg End, it's easily the most accessible, don't go anywhere near Western Culture until you're 'getting' the others.

Ok thank you. You(like Logan and a few others) seem to know your stuff. Btw Univers Zero is good. I like them! Hopefully now with your suggestion(starting with Leg End and going forward from there) I can finally solve this Henry Cow puzzle and be on my way to being a legit progger. Thank you again.

Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 23:37
^ So this evening I listened to Unrest and In Praise Of Learning(couldn't find Leg End), and... I actually kind of liked them. Sounded a little Zappaish, and a little like Art Zoyd but weirder.. but honestly not bad. I'm nervous about trying this 'Western Culture' now but maybe I'll tackle that one tomorrow. Finger's crossed lol.

Date Posted: October 18 2019 at 23:51

Ok thank you. You(like Logan and a few others) seem to know your stuff. Btw Univers Zero is good. I like them! Hopefully now with your suggestion(starting with Leg End and going forward from there) I can finally solve this Henry Cow puzzle and be on my way to being a legit progger. Thank you again.

Or you can listen to The Entire Works of Henry Cow from the CD version of Fred Frith - Speechless. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 00:46
So this is very interesting. Is this really about bands that 'I respect but just can't get into' rather than just any bands? There is a difference. It's not about taste although there is a fine dividing line admittedly.

Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 00:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I quite commonly prefer The Beatles influenced bands than The Beatles themselves (that's lot of bands to choose from).

I like Yes best when it sort of meets King Crimson.

I'm not big on Yes. I loved Fragile as a teenager, and I still like it but rarely return to it, and I enjoy Time and a Word as well as The Yes album. For an album, I've probably given Close to the Edge more "tries" than any other album I never got into. I like the title-track, but even that not altogether.

One certainly needn't enjoy Yes to enjoy this forum.

I can't get into King Crimson's "Lizard" album at all, or most of their other albums, apart from the first two. Confused

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 09:14
I hear a lot of praise about the following bands, and I think I must be missing something (FOMO), so I go check 'em out and end up wondering what all the gushing was about...

Big Big Train
Bent Knee
Marillion
IQ
Genesis
VdGG

There are many more.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 10:51
In general...I don't care for any of the metal genres...tech metal, exp metal, or even prog metal.
As some have mentioned I find VDGG difficult, mostly due to the vocals....the music is well done prog .
Also find Mike Oldfield boring, most of the time....though there are some bits here and there that are ok.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 16:58
man more than i can count I suppose.. I guess the big one will always be prog Genesis. The years they spent f**king around before finally doing what they were really good at and where their talents really were.. good pop music.   

Oh I like some songs..even love a select few...but fail to see the point of their prog diefication... in which they ever did anything remotely great or groundbreaking like those mentioned in the same breath as them did do... for their albums were to me, at least till they finally ditched prog, a real patchwork of the utterly brilliant and completely forgettable and sleep inducing. Take Epping Forest for example and put all of its 10 minute death march on any other groups albums and that would have been an automatic star to 2 star deduction for lacking teh good sense to leave that stinker on the cutting room room. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 19:12

Or you can listen to The Entire Works of Henry Cow from the CD version of Fred Frith - Speechless. Tongue

Not sure I'm ready for their Entire Works just yet lol. Appreciate the suggestion though. :)

Date Posted: October 19 2019 at 19:14

^ So this evening I listened to Unrest and In Praise Of Learning(couldn't find Leg End), and... I actually kind of liked them. Sounded a little Zappaish, and a little like Art Zoyd but weirder.. but honestly not bad. I'm nervous about trying this 'Western Culture' now but maybe I'll tackle that one tomorrow. Finger's crossed lol.

Ok so I listened to Western Culture. Wasn't terrible but I didn't like it as much as the two last night. Was really good in spots, but too much fooling around. Idk I guess I wasn't ready yet or something. 

Edit: I just listened to the album all the way through again. I definitely liked it better this time. Still not one of my favorite albums but I would honestly say that I like it. I'm becoming a fan of this band.. who would have ever thought that. 

Posted By: aerosolgrey
Date Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:01
"Brave" excepted, Post Fish Marillion bores me to tears. May as well be two different bands. Linear, shapeless, atmospheric blandness. I recognize something of value must be there but I don't hear it. Hogarth's voice has a quiver that is discomforting to me, a strain as if each word begins stuck in his throat and must be dislodged. I imagine the great albums that could have been had the original band stayed intact. Fish made better post band music. But I think rarely have two creative forces needed each other more than Fish and Marillion. 

Date Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:53
^ Try Marbles. It's really good, I would be surprised if you didn't like it.

Date Posted: October 20 2019 at 23:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man more than i can count I suppose.. I guess the big one will always be prog Genesis. The years they spent f**king around before finally doing what they were really good at and where their talents really were.. good pop music.   

Oh I like some songs..even love a select few...but fail to see the point of their prog diefication... in which they ever did anything remotely great or groundbreaking like those mentioned in the same breath as them did do... for their albums were to me, at least till they finally ditched prog, a real patchwork of the utterly brilliant and completely forgettable and sleep inducing. Take Epping Forest for example and put all of its 10 minute death march on any other groups albums and that would have been an automatic star to 2 star deduction for lacking teh good sense to leave that stinker on the cutting room room. 

I don't agree with your general comment because otherwise it doesn't make sense that so many bands are influenced by them.

However on Epping Forest though I totally agree. It does suggest that people take them way too seriously . At least ELP had the good sense to make Benny the Bouncer only 2 minutes long.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:24

Perfect encapsulation of how I feel too about Hogarth-Marillion.  That soggy voice is like overcooked sphagetti or something to me.  I guess it's very hard to relate to him coming from Fish-Marillion given that Fish, if anything, magnified the emotions and had this huge dynamic range and all.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:28
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Technically, John Petrucci is one of the "best" guitarists I've ever seen (spoiler alert = I know RF), and his technique and skills are amazing!  I especially enjoy when DT covers other bands like King Crimson.  

However, I just don't listen to them much.  The keyboards are also quite over-done and overwhelming IMHO.  Wish I could play like that!

Also ruined by LaBrie.  I mean, I think they would sound at least a tad more engaging emotionally with a singer like Russell Allen. 

Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 01:50
Comparing Benny the Bouncer to Epping Forest?
A. The Genesis Mini epic, is prog. Benny is chas n dave.
B. Forest fits in perfect with the concept of SEBTP.
C. The lyrical quirky character vocals are the best of any satirical prog song.

I can accept that non English peoples, especially septics, would struggle with the early seventies colloquialisms and not get into the monty pythonesque subleties that make the lyrics multi layered with meanings. Gabriel's finest moment if you ask me....and very badly copied by ... collins...

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 05:55
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I assume most people on this site are pretty open minded about music & enjoy exploring different artists but I'm sure there are bands we all try to get in to, but we just can't . We don't say that are bad or not talented , they're just not for you. 

None, really, as I can listen pretty much to anything. But I'll admit that I do not always enjoy the cookie cutter metal stuff and the copy of the vocal styles ... but that just makes the bands secondary for me, and all that means is I am not spending 2 cents on any of them!

My take is ... I DON'T LISTEN TO PROG .... I listen to music! PERIOD

(... AND I don't think that many folks around here get it! ... )

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 11:12
I happen to love "Battle of Epping Forest" and don't think it's in any way on the level of ELP's attempts at whimsy.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 11:14
Pattern Seeking Animals
Dream Theater
Anything with Nad Sylvan's vocals

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Soundmaster1
Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 19:54
GDGG
Gentle Giant

and the unlistenable KC albums (lizard, Island, the 80s stuff)

Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 23:24
Originally posted by Soundmaster1 Soundmaster1 wrote:

GDGG
Gentle Giant

and the unlistenable KC albums (lizard, Island, the 80s stuff)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds King Crimson's "Lizard" album unlistenable. Smile

Who are "GDGG"?

Date Posted: October 21 2019 at 23:44

Comparing Benny the Bouncer to Epping Forest?
A. The Genesis Mini epic, is prog. Benny is chas n dave.
B. Forest fits in perfect with the concept of SEBTP.
C. The lyrical quirky character vocals are the best of any satirical prog song.

I can accept that non English peoples, especially septics, would struggle with the early seventies colloquialisms and not get into the monty pythonesque subleties that make the lyrics multi layered with meanings. Gabriel's finest moment if you ask me....and very badly copied by ... collins...

agree with A (not all epics are good) and B is true but couldn't careless about quirky vocals C (why bother?). It's still stuff of nonsense and after about 2 minutes it doesn't go anywhere interesting. 

Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 05:15
Hindsight is 20-20 vision. But given the relative weakness of more fool.me and after the ordeal...Banks and hackett should have put in some seriously self indulgent solos into the forest and made it a proper epic of 20 minutes or more...What an album SEBT would have been then!!!

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 06:26

Hindsight is 20-20 vision. But given the relative weakness of more fool.me and after the ordeal...Banks and hackett should have put in some seriously self indulgent solos into the forest and made it a proper epic of 20 minutes or more...What an album SEBT would have been then!!!

given that I Know What I like is also weak, you must hate the album, then

Personally, I love Epping Forest (the best of the album) and After the Ordeal is a perfect soothing piece after the battle... But yeah the track is a little wordy and some cool solos would've been great too.

my weakest three tracks on SEBTP are Fool (by a light year) than Wardrobe, then Firth

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 07:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Strange seeing this ... they started out as pop music, albeit one would think that the songs were a bit more towards "art pop music", than just regular top of the pops stuff.

I enjoyed GENESIS, but they were never the very best ... there were a lot of European bands that were doing a lot of music that was much more exciting and valuable ... other than the 2 albums of GENESIS that stand out for me ... SEBTP and TLLDOB. 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:03
I think "Selling England by the Pound" is a perfect album as it stands. I wouldn't change anything. It's my favourite Genesis album. Thumbs Up Heart

Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:26
SEBTP is so good (probably four of the top ten symphonic prog tacks of ANY era) that the god awful MFM is definately the most overshadowed track EVER!!!! BUT IT COULD BE IMPROVED. Extend the four genius tracks and make it a double like Tales and bobs yer uncle...

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

then Firth

Lol

Good one.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 22 2019 at 09:47
Mythos.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:01

SEBTP is so good (probably four of the top ten symphonic prog tacks of ANY era) that the god awful MFM is definately the most overshadowed track EVER!!!! BUT IT COULD BE IMPROVED. Extend the four genius tracks and make it a double like Tales and bobs yer uncle...

extending everything doesn't make it better

Make Epping Forest 2 minutes long and the album would get an extra star from me. More Fool Me is absolutely okay as a song but doesn't fit. Wardrobe is just the equivalent of Money (overplayed) . There are 3 brilliant tracks and certainly Firth Of Fifth could be considered one of the best prog tracks ever , totally perfect from start to finish.

Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 04:35
Perhaps it is me. I think that Dancing, Firth, Cinema and Epping are all in the Finest symph prog tracks of all time. However, later prog bands esp Transatlantic and the Flokis have examples of the extended epic. Stardust we are, Monsters and Men (best guitar solo on pure length alone) and Garden of Dreams are all of the required length for an epic. All of the above (monster solo by stolt) show how it can be done. I would buy an extended version of SEBTP..even at £100 notes...

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 04:43
Enchant. They do nothing for me. I checked them out after Ted Leonard joined Spock's Beard.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 23 2019 at 08:21

Perhaps it is me. I think that Dancing, Firth, Cinema and Epping are all in the Finest symph prog tracks of all time. However, later prog bands esp Transatlantic and the Flokis have examples of the extended epic. Stardust we are, Monsters and Men (best guitar solo on pure length alone) and Garden of Dreams are all of the required length for an epic. All of the above (monster solo by stolt) show how it can be done. I would buy an extended version of SEBTP..even at £100 notes...

Who are "The Flokis"? I can't see any mention of them anywhere. Question

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk