Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121393
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 03:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Great Gig in the Sky vs Hole in the Sky
Posted By: thief
Subject: The Great Gig in the Sky vs Hole in the Sky
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:36
They have nothing in common but the name and era... one coming from highly acclaimed The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), the other - Sabotage (1975). Which one you find more convincing, which one do you spin more often?

Replies:
Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:41
I'm a huge Sabbath fan and generally spend more time with them than with Floyd, but in this particular matchup, I have to go with the latter.  

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:45
two very different songs, don't know what to do here...

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 07:34
I like Sabotage, my first Sabbath album, but how can it compete wth my first Pink Floyd album? The great Rick in the sky, I have read somewhere. 
From Sabotage I prefer Symptom of the Universe, a great metal song.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:55
Apples and oranges. Love both, but I'll give Sabbath the vote.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:59
Both once every decade is enough for me.

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:25
Love them both, but today I will take Sabbath over Floyd.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:28
I'm voting for The Great Gig in the Sky. It's a classic song on a classic album.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:34
Neither is better than the other, for they both serve different musical purposes. Both are great songs. I voted Floyd this time because while I heard great metal before Sabotage, I had never heard anything like the Great Gig before that first time. Ying Yang

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:35
Since the question is "which do you spin more often?", easily Hole in the Sky. I just listened to Sabotage the other day. Haven't listened to Dark Side of the Moon on purpose in 25+ years (it was played by someone at literally every single party I went to in the 90's). I often wonder what my attitude about that album would be if it hadn't been played into the ground.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:56
Both are very good but GGitS is one of my favorites from Dark Side so that is what I voted for.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 13:37
Pinky 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 14:31
Floyd

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Since the question is "which do you spin more often?", easily Hole in the Sky. I just listened to Sabotage the other day. Haven't listened to Dark Side of the Moon on purpose in 25+ years (it was played by someone at literally every single party I went to in the 90's). I often wonder what my attitude about that album would be if it hadn't been played into the ground.

And it was played at literally every party I went to in the 70s and 80s as well.  I also suffered from massive burnout and swore to never listen to it ever again.  

Then one day, on a lark, I revisited it with well rested ears... and was quite forcefully reminded of what a truly magnificent album it is.   I'm really glad I gave it another chance. 

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 17:04
Love the Sabotage album. But Great Gig is just so ethereally brilliant and mood modifying, with a human voice that says much without saying anything. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Mudpuppy64
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 18:34
Sabbath

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 19:57
The Great Gig in the Sky is one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 05 2019 at 20:32
I'm tempted to vote for The Great Gig in the Sky, and I don't even know the other one (but of course I won't do that).

Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 00:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm tempted to vote for The Great Gig in the Sky, and I don't even know the other one (but of course I won't do that).

I suggest you try it out (if you can stomach 70s hard rock). Although not necessarily in the premier league of Sabbath songs ("Wheels of Confusion", "Megalomania", "Into the Void" etc.), I find it a terrific opening track. Definitely a prime Black Sabbath offering.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 06:35
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Neither is better than the other, for they both serve different musical purposes. Both are great songs. I voted Floyd this time because while I heard great metal before Sabotage, I had never heard anything like the Great Gig before that first time. Ying Yang
Exactly how I feel.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 22:40
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I suggest you try it out (if you can stomach 70s hard rock). Although not necessarily in the premier league of Sabbath songs ("Wheels of Confusion", "Megalomania", "Into the Void" etc.), I find it a terrific opening track. Definitely a prime Black Sabbath offering.

Well, I do like Sabbath (I just haven't heard that album yet), as well as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, and a few others. Though, as far as Sabbath goes, I mostly like better the live version on Reunion than the originals. The extra heaviness really helps the songs.

Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 23:59

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Well, I do like Sabbath (I just haven't heard that album yet), as well as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, and a few others. Though, as far as Sabbath goes, I mostly like better the live version on Reunion than the originals. The extra heaviness really helps the songs.

Fair enough. When it comes to heaviness, I dunno, we have dozens Black Sabbath ripoffs nowadays, but only Sabbath had that early 70s production AND powerful riffs despite guitar amps not suitable to this style of music. But I honestly love Reunion version of "Into the Void"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk