Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121405
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 17:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Harmonium vs Tull
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: Harmonium vs Tull
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 06:18
I’m very Tull skeptical and prefer the harmonium by a large album, but I think this could be a close poll.

Replies:
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 06:19
Large margin*

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 06:37
Love both, But Jethro Tull gets my vote.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 07:09
hmm even though I was "there" in Quebec in the 1970s, Harmonium didn't really impress me.  I huess I have to try that album again.  In the meantime, Aqualung

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 07:39
Harmonium of course 

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 07:44
I've never heard of that little-known Harmonium album before, but it must be worth a listen, bearing in mind it's already picked up three votes against the mighty Jethro Tull. Smile

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 07:48
Two of my most played ever...

*blank stare*

You got me man. I don't know what to do.

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 07:55
Originally posted by DarkTower DarkTower wrote:

Harmonium of course 

Your avatar would make a good album cover. Smile

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 09:14
love both

but

Tull

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 11:33
Aqualung is simply one of the most outstanding and ragingly brilliant musical achievements anywhere, anytime, any genre.  The competition here is excellent, but still not close.  

Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 11:59
Aqualung is just a decent folk rock album to me, nothing more

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 12:11
Aqualung: really good album with a couple great tracks.  Never been able to get into it that much.

Si On Avait Besoin... just beautiful, so I gotta go with the minority here.

-------------
Z

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 14:10
JT

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 14:14
Tull gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 15:20
Even as I usually vote for JT, this time it gets Harmonium. Not that it is soo much better (I love Aqualung immensely), but it's great record and in this poll Harmonium is going to loose. And because it's really charming music and I don't want it'd loose by too much votes, I have to give it to Harmonium :-)

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 15:48
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've never heard of that little-known Harmonium album before, but it must be worth a listen, bearing in mind it's already picked up three votes against the mighty Jethro Tull. Smile

It's absolutely worth hearing, and getting, truly one of the most beautiful, pastoral albums ever. That said I have to vote Aqualung because it's Tull's finest moment.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Mudpuppy64
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 17:02
They used to play lots of Harmonium on the radio in Montreal in the 70s  on  Chom-FM . Great Band . But Tull for me too .

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 17:50
I like the Harmonium album just fine, but against Aqualung? Aqualung is a great and defining album, a bit of the 70s that was equally acoustic and hard rock. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 19:11
IMHO Harmonium is way better. Actually to be frank, I don't like Aqualung.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 19:11
Si on avait a besoin d'une cinquième saison is simply one of the most outstanding and ragingly brilliant musical achievements anywhere, anytime, any genre.  The competition here is excellent, but still not close.  

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:17
The Harmonium album is a masterpiece. Not sure you can say the same of Aqualung. Of course over the journey Jethro Tull are the superior band.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:45
Only when I just looked it up did I find out Harmonium were Canadian and not French!

I don't listen to either all that much although the Canadian band created a masterpiece as mentioned before. To be fair Aqualung was never intended to be viewed in any way other than a collection of songs. There are some really good ones for sure but I'm not that bothered about it and would rather concentrate on the later ones ie TAAB onwards. Another vote for the Canucks!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 06 2019 at 22:34
With the name of the poll I thought it was going to be between the bands, and then I might have gone with Tull (or not), but given the albums, I have to go with Harmonium.

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 00:27
So we have two incredible albums and a very tough question.

Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison is so special. Acoustic guitar parts are so well developed, we have touches of mellotron and flute, lush melodies and at least one masterpiece ("Histoires Sans Paroles"). A rare example of soothing BUT cerebral music.

And then there is Aqualung. Eleven songs of which... 9? are fantastic and leave nothing to be desired. Almost every time a new tune arrives I'm instantly curious what's going to happen, even though I know that stuff like my pocket. Please show me other prog rock albums that are song oriented (~4 min average) and land a hit every goddamn time. Even "Slipstream" and "Cheap Day Return" get me going!

Pound for pound, I think Aqualung packs more punch, the flow of catchy and engaging ideas is more constant, while Saison has its downtimes / cooldowns. So I pick Aqualung, but both albums are 5 star worthy.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 06:34
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

So we have two incredible albums and a very tough question.

Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison is so special. Acoustic guitar parts are so well developed, we have touches of mellotron and flute, lush melodies and at least one masterpiece ("Histoires Sans Paroles"). A rare example of soothing BUT cerebral music.

And then there is Aqualung. Eleven songs of which... 9? are fantastic and leave nothing to be desired. Almost every time a new tune arrives I'm instantly curious what's going to happen, even though I know that stuff like my pocket. Please show me other prog rock albums that are song oriented (~4 min average) and land a hit every goddamn time. Even "Slipstream" and "Cheap Day Return" get me going!

Pound for pound, I think Aqualung packs more punch, the flow of catchy and engaging ideas is more constant, while Saison has its downtimes / cooldowns. So I pick Aqualung, but both albums are 5 star worthy.

This really sums it up for me. Agree with everything said.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 09:08
Harmonium is rather boring to my ears. Tull by a large margin for me.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 09:45
This Harmonium album is new to me and will need more listens to compete with a long-time favorite like Aqualung.  
Purely because of familiarity, I vote Aqualung.  Given time this may change.  
Saisons is some high quality stuff though.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 11:21
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Harmonium is rather boring to my ears. Tull by a large margin for me.

Same here.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 11:28
Harmonium was good but not that good. Tull. 

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Another vote for the Canucks!

Frogs would be more « à-propos », Canadians indeed but French-Canadians, and more French than most Canadians since they're from the sole French-speaking Province of Canada.

Sooo...French-speaking-Canadians-Frogs-from-Canada-but-more-French-than-Canadians-and-less-French-than-French.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Frogs would be more « à-propos », Canadians indeed but French-Canadians, and more French than most Canadians since they're from the sole French-speaking Province of Canada.

Sooo...French-speaking-Canadians-Frogs-from-Canada-but-more-French-than-Canadians-and-less-French-than-French.

Geek

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:55
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The Harmonium album is a masterpiece. Not sure you can say the same of Aqualung. Of course over the journey Jethro Tull are the superior band.

This.

-------------

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 13:47
Anyone who doesn't think Aqualung is a genuine masterpiece isn't listening. 

One of the things that makes it so utterly masterful is that it has catchy, hummable hits like Loco Breath and the title cut, but even with those hits, the album still has its greatest impact when taken in as a whole.  

If you truly immerse yourself in the experience, by the time you're wrapping up with Wind Up, you're stunned, challenged, and drained.  It's one powerful album.  It is musically compelling, and unlike so many other prog albums, even great ones, it is also lyrically brilliant.

And it's timeless.  I remember having not listened to it in a few years other than loco breath coming up on a playlist once in a while, and on a road trip a few years ago, my then 17 year old son saw it in the CD case and was curious so he popped it in and we both listened to it in complete other silence, neither of us speaking until it was over. Not only was I completely floored, not having really listened to it in some time, and more blown away than any other time I'd heard it, he was also astonished and effusive with praise for the power and brilliance of both the concept and the execution.  

The album rules.  

Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 13:54
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Anyone who doesn't think Aqualung is a genuine masterpiece isn't listening. 

One of the things that makes it so utterly masterful is that it has catchy, hummable hits like Loco Breath and the title cut, but even with those hits, the album still has its greatest impact when taken in as a whole.  

If you truly immerse yourself in the experience, by the time you're wrapping up with Wind Up, you're stunned, challenged, and drained.  It's one powerful album.  It is musically compelling, and unlike so many other prog albums, even great ones, it is also lyrically brilliant.

And it's timeless.  I remember having not listened to it in a few years other than loco breath coming up on a playlist once in a while, and on a road trip a few years ago, my then 17 year old son saw it in the CD case and was curious so he popped it in and we both listened to it in complete other silence, neither of us speaking until it was over. Not only was I completely floored, not having really listened to it in some time, and more blown away than any other time I'd heard it, he was also astonished and effusive with praise for the power and brilliance of both the concept and the execution.  

The album rules.  

This is how i feel about that harmonium, aqualung is just decent to my ears

Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 14:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Geek

Excuse my accent, Ken...and think big, sti.

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2019 at 19:45
The thing for me with Aqualung is that I like every song better in an alternate live version (or in the case of Wond'ring aloud again, just an alternate version).

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 08:40
I would have voted for Harmonium versus anything released by Jethro Tull except for Aqualung. With the two albums in my hands I can choose one of the two indifferently, so no vote.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The thing for me with Aqualung is that I like every song better in an alternate live version (or in the case of Wond'ring aloud again, just an alternate version).

Maybe time for you to stop discovering bands with live albums and go with the studio ones instead since it often seem to be a win-lose approach for you.

Getting aquainted with studio material first has always been the way to go for me. The live stuff is the icing on the cake.

-------------

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 15:57
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’m very Tull skeptical..........

your seemingly I-don't-care-for-Jethro-Tull posts show it.....I'm very Genesis and Yes skeptical, but I never bang on about it. Maybe I should!

Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 16:15
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’m very Tull skeptical..........

your seemingly I-don't-care-for-Jethro-Tull posts show it.....I'm very Genesis and Yes skeptical, but I never bang on about it. Maybe I should!

And that’s okay! My favorite Tull is actually songs from the wood which I rather like. The two in PAs top 100 don’t do it for me though. I’m somewhat yes skeptic, particularly fragile and going for the one arent favorites. But I do love me some genesis.

Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 22:12

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Maybe time for you to stop discovering bands with live albums and go with the studio ones instead since it often seem to be a win-lose approach for you.

Getting aquainted with studio material first has always been the way to go for me. The live stuff is the icing on the cake.

Oh no, I just love my live versions too much. As to which I use to explore the band I guess it depends on the particular circumstances, and my perception of the band and it's releases. And often enough, I end up liking the live versions better even if I knew the studio ones first... it just depends.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk