Print Page | Close Window

Annie Haslam for Crossover Prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121431
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 05:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Annie Haslam for Crossover Prog?
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Annie Haslam for Crossover Prog?
Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 12:11
I noticed that Annie Haslam of Renaissance doesn't have a separate entry in ProgArchives, even though she's had a long and illustrious solo career. Is there any chance of her being included?

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 12:15
why should she be here? Just because she is in Renaissance? What genre? Give us some links to prove she does some sort of progressive rock (I for one have not heard her solo stuff).

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 12:27
I love Annie but none of her solo studio albums are prog, imho.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 13:19
I'd class her solo work as Symphonic Rock. Here's Annie's cover version of the Genesis song "Ripples"

.....and this is Annie's cover version of the Yessong "Turn of the Century"

Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 13:39
those two covers do not help, she guested on tributed and on other artists albums, but how are her solo albums?
I'm gonna try and listen a bit.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 14:57
love love love Annie but her solo work is not prog in any way shape or form.  Eclectic at times especially on "Annie in Wonderland", but that's it.

Date Posted: November 08 2019 at 15:16
I was surprised when I discovered she wasn't already included in ProgArchives. I suppose if Annie was to be included then she'd be listed as either Prog-Related, Crossover Prog or Symphonic Prog.   A couple of her albums are classical Symphonic Rock and some are regular Pop/Rock. Here's a solo Annie Haslam concert from Philadelphia (where she now lives) back in 1997.

Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 06:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'd class her solo work as Symphonic Rock. Here's Annie's cover version of the Genesis song "Ripples"

.....and this is Annie's cover version of the Yessong "Turn of the Century"

Yes, these are great one off songs for tribute albums but not representative of Annie's solo albums.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 06:46
I included Annie's concert from Philadelphia to show that her roots lie in Progressive Rock. Her first solo album "Annie in Wonderland" was quite progressive too.

Annie Haslam - Rockalise

Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 07:18
I'm afraid you're singing to the choir Paul. If I posted all the MOR songs from Blessing In Disguise, Dawn Of Ananda, Woman Transcending and the covers of Nature Boy and Going Home from Annie In Wonderland, those songs would paint Annie as quite the MOR artist.

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 07:27
I guess she's a similar case as Sandy Denny - much loved indeed (and not only for her work with Strawbs, FC, Fotheringay) but not sufficiently under our scope.

Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I guess she's a similar case as Sandy Denny - much loved indeed (and not only for her work with Strawbs, FC, Fotheringay) but not sufficiently under our scope.
I've been criticised for not adding any artists to Prog Archives - even though I'd barely been here one month at the time - but every artist I've suggested for inclusion so far has been rejected. Confused

To be honest, I can't see how Annie Haslam could possibly NOT be included in ProgArchives. To call a versatile classically-trained singer such as  Annie Haslam an MOR artist, or middle-of-the-road Pop artist, is a bit of an insult to her. Unhappy

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 12:49
I think there is somewhere guidelines as to what could be considered as prog for the site, when not already here...and I think I remember that new artists were exempt from some of the qualifiers of existing bands/artists?  Not sure if those are still being followed, either.....Maybe one of the kind admins can provide a link here.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 12:55
Thanks Nicolette.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 09 2019 at 15:00

I've been criticised for not adding any artists to Prog Archives - even though I'd barely been here one month at the time - but every artist I've suggested for inclusion so far has been rejected. Confused

To be honest, I can't see how Annie Haslam could possibly NOT be included in ProgArchives. To call a versatile classically-trained singer such as  Annie Haslam an MOR artist, or middle-of-the-road Pop artist, is a bit of an insult to her. Unhappy

Make better suggestions

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 06:56
I doubt even Annie would consider her solo work to be prog.  The reason she decided to return to Renaissance was precisely to make prog again with Michael Dunford, to get back to their "roots".  There is plenty of great music that isn't prog so I don'[t see how it's insulting to reject an artist on prog archives.

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 07:55
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I doubt even Annie would consider her solo work to be prog.  The reason she decided to return to Renaissance was precisely to make prog again with Michael Dunford, to get back to their "roots".  There is plenty of great music that isn't prog so I don'[t see how it's insulting to reject an artist on prog archives.

I'm not saying Annie Haslam would find it insulting to be rejected from ProgArchives, but I think she WOULD find it insulting to be referred to as a MOR artist or Middle of the Road Pop artist in an earlier post.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 08:11
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Make better suggestions

hahahha.. that is worth a toastie.. Beer  no wonder we get along so well.  

anyhow..  Paul...  let me offer some advice. If it is a classic band, or artist.. you can bet your ass they are here if they merit it.. and if not.. they were rejected. We once had scores of people dedicated to additions.. filling out the database and there are not many we missed.

new additions these days are primarily the new bands.. we've picked over the oldies pretty damn well man. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 08:49
Maybe I'll just give up making suggestions for PA artist additions altogether and make it easier for everyone here, bearing in mind every suggestion I've offered so far has been rejected.

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 10:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

anyhow..  Paul...  let me offer some advice. If it is a classic band, or artist.. you can bet your ass they are here if they merit it.. and if not.. they were rejected. We once had scores of people dedicated to additions.. filling out the database and there are not many we missed.

new additions these days are primarily the new bands.. we've picked over the oldies pretty damn well man. 

Thank you for clarifying that.  

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 11:47
yeah.. we may not have got them all.. but a good general rule.. if more than 10 people would recognize it..  it has likely has already been considered here.

to say nothing of the whole Prog Related thing.. it is the East St. Louis, South central LA, SE DC of prog archives.. we try to ignore it exists on this site and stay the f**k away from it.  The only worse handled aspect of this site would be its twin cousin for capricious ill considered  f**kery would be the Proto Prog section.  LOL

we have had some doozers for suggestions though so they have had their entertainment values.. to say nothing of those which did get added and proceed to instigate gunfights at high noon on main street... probably the only time in any kind of time and space fluxes or alterations of reality that I've seen Raff shoot people down and laugh as she hawked a luggie into their puddle of blood...  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 11:55

yeah.. we may not have got them all.. but a good general rule.. if more than 10 people would recognize it..  it has likely has already been considered here.

to say nothing of the whole Prog Related thing.. it is the East St. Louis, South central LA, SE DC of prog archives.. we try to ignore it exists on this site and stay the f**k away from it.  The only worse handled aspect of this site would be its twin cousin for capricious ill considered  f**kery would be the Proto Prog section.  LOL

we have had some doozers for suggestions though so they have had their entertainment values.. to say nothing of those which did get added and proceed to instigate gunfights at high noon on main street... probably the only time in any kind of time and space fluxes or alterations of reality that I've seen Raff shoot people down and laugh as she hawked a luggie into their puddle of blood...  
I think the gist of your message is that PA members do take their music VERY seriously indeed here, just as I discovered when I posted my recent Neo-Prog poll. Wink

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 12:04
hah..  you could say that...  granted we have had a few psychopaths on the site that enjoyed blood and violence for their own sake LOLEmbarrassed but no one... not even jazz fan.. can get their panties twisted twighter than prog fan.. especially when purity..  or the lack thereof is called in play in terms of addtions.

they were the glory days of the site .. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 12:04

Paul, if you cant tell the difference between MOR, AOR and Prog, then perhaps you should educate yourself to those musical genres. It would save you from being frustrated when suggesting some artists for inclusion in PA in the future. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 12:05

hah..  you could say that...  granted we have had a few psychopaths on the site that enjoyed blood and violence for their own sake LOLEmbarrassed but no one... not even jazz fan.. can get their panties twisted twighter than prog fan.. especially when purity..  or the lack thereof is called in play in terms of addtions.

they were the glory days of the site .. 

Oh I'm not so sure, I don't think we have a Wynton Marsalis on this site.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 12:11
yeah I've come to realize over the years that jazz fan is a strange beast.. perhaps even more than 'prog fan'

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 16:16
Annie Haslam has to be one of the greatest female Symphonic Prog singers who's ever lived and it beggars belief that anyone would snobbishly dismiss her as being a Middle of the Road (or MOR) Pop singer who's not worthy of inclusion in ProgArchives. It's not me who needs to get educated if that's the prevailing attitude here. Stern Smile

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 16:25

Annie Haslam has to be one of the greatest female Symphonic Prog singers who's ever lived and it beggars belief that anyone would snobbishly dismiss her as being a Middle of the Road (or MOR) Pop singer who's not worthy of inclusion in ProgArchives. It's not me who needs to get educated if that's the prevailing attitude here. Stern Smile

OMG please stop. Nobody is saying that Annie is not great. Nobody has ever denied her talent and greatness.

If I was to be nit-picking, which genre are you suggesting this artist for? Which team needs to look into this artist?

I would not be surprised if someone told me she had beed suggested before and rejected. That is not a sign of disrespect to the artist. Collabs maybe did not think she is progressive enough. Lots of other bands get rejected, no one gets upset, I don't know why you are.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 16:34
Many prog artists have had solo careers that had very little to do with prog. There's nothing wrong with that. Case in point: Phil Collins. He's been suggested many times, and every time he was rejected. That does not mean his music is bad - just that it doesn't fit with the main purpose of the site.

Please stop with this attitude. We all have had our suggestions rejected at some point, and we're still here. Calling us uneducated or snobbish is not going to further your cause.

Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 17:31

You are clearly trolling now to try and keep stoking the fire to get a reaction, I suggest you step it down a couple of notches to try and regain credibility.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 18:55
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Many prog artists have had solo careers that had very little to do with prog. There's nothing wrong with that. Case in point: Phil Collins. He's been suggested many times, and every time he was rejected. That does not mean his music is bad - just that it doesn't fit with the main purpose of the site.

Please stop with this attitude. We all have had our suggestions rejected at some point, and we're still here. Calling us uneducated or snobbish is not going to further your cause.

I think that's where the prog related category comes in. Both Annie Haslam and Phil Collins deserve to at least be in the prog related category imo(especially if Kate Bush and Tori Amos are in here as full on prog. ;) ).

I agree that there's no need for name calling. This is progarchives after all and not some other less sophisticated prog website. Wink

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: November 10 2019 at 22:51
^sorry, but Phil Collins went full Darth Vader on prog. Everything about his solo work served to glob Whiteout on his progressive past. The sub-genre system refers to the body of work under the name in question, not an artists resumé and employment history.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 01:27
I was referring to SteveG's dismissive and insulting comments earlier, not PA members collectively. It seems bizarre and unfair to me that Annie Haslam is considered not worthy of inclusion in PA when Kate Bush and Tori Amos are both included here, and just because someone disagrees with you it doesn't mean they're "trolling". That's a pathetic argument. Confused

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 01:41

I was referring to SteveG's dismissive comments earlier, not PA members collectively. It seems bizarre and unfair to me that Annie Haslam is considered not worthy of inclusion in PA when Kate Bush and Tori Amos are both included here, and just because someone disagrees with you it doesn't mean they're "trolling". That's a pathetic argument. Confused

I will tell you again, since I see you are not paying attention. You never are specific which team needs to evaluate the artists you suggest. So who is to look into Annie for evaluation? Crossover? Symphonic? Who?

And again stop making the argument if X is here, so should be Y... Worst reason.

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 01:55
Annie Haslam could be considered for inclusion as either Prog-Related, Crossover Prog or Symphonic Prog. I'll leave that for the relevant PA team members to decide between them. I don't want to get into a pointless argument about which category of prog Annie Haslam belongs in. Smile
Annie Haslam's prog credentials are far stronger than those of Kate Bush or Tori Amos in my opinion.

Anyone who dismisses Annie Haslam as an "MOR Pop singer", as SteveG did earlier, clearly doesn't know much about music, so if anyone needs an education here, it's SteveG. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 02:04

Annie Haslam could be considered for inclusion as either Prog-Related, Crossover Prog or Symphonic Prog. I'll leave that for the relevant PA team members to decide between them. I don't want to get into a pointless argument about which category of prog Annie Haslam belongs in. Smile

you have already started the argument...

So you want three teams to look at Annie? This has never happened. Sometimes an artist gets moved for evaluation to another team, but what you want does not happen.

I would not suggest a band if I did not know specifically for what genre to be evaluated. And I can think of a few bands that could be here on PA but I don't know which genre they fit in.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 02:11

Maybe I'll just give up making suggestions for PA artist additions altogether and make it easier for everyone here, bearing in mind every suggestion I've offered so far has been rejected.

Let me put it this way... let me get to your level for a second:

You can (or should) easily imagine that since PA's debut in 2004, every member of a classic prog band that has made a musical fart outside his/her band has been scrutinized to see if it was a progressive flatulence or a regressive diarrhoea.TongueWink

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 02:29
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

So you want three teams to look at Annie? This has never happened. Sometimes an artist gets moved for evaluation to another team, but what you want does not happen.

I would not suggest a band if I did not know specifically for what genre to be evaluated. And I can think of a few bands that could be here on PA but I don't know which genre they fit in.

Okay, seeing as Tori Amos and Kate Bush are both listed on ProgArchives as Crossover Prog, then I would suggest that Annie Haslam be included in the Crossover Prog section too. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 02:31

Okay, seeing as Tori Amos and Kate Bush are both listed on ProgArchives as Crossover Prog, then I would suggest that Annie Haslam be included in the Crossover Prog section too. Smile

can you edit the thread title and write Annie Haslam for Crossover Prog?

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 02:41
^^ Sure! No problem. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 03:27
I found an old Annie Haslam suggestion, back in 2009, so she was rejected before, so I only hope you won't get upset if or when she gets rejected again...

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 03:51

I found an old Annie Haslam suggestion, back in 2009, so she was rejected before, so I only hope you won't get upset if or when she gets rejected again...

She wasn't rejected. It seems no one followed up on the suggestions. Things were quite different at the time in terms of the way evaluations of possible Prog-Related additions were carried out. Personally, I would be in favour of the Xover Team evaluating Annie.

However, what I am NOT in favour of is bringing up Kate Bush and Tori Amos. The old, tired "If X is here, why not Y?" is not how we go about evaluations. And anyone who's familiar with Kate Bush's output would not deny the strong progressive elements in her music, especially in albums such as The Dreaming or Hounds of Love. MOR is one thing she definitely is not.

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 03:52

I'm getting used to my suggestions being rejected so I won't take it personally. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 03:56

Proudly driving people off prog forums since 2005.

You're not going to drive me off the prog forums. Tongue

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 04:00

quoting people's signatures? wtf?!

I guess humor is not your strong suit

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 05:43

I could say likewise about you but you probably wouldn't get the ironic British humour. Wink

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 05:57

I could say likewise about you but you probably wouldn't get the ironic British humour. Wink

how do you know? Disapprove LOL

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 06:07

I think we're in danger of straying off-topic here. The differences between British and American humour is a subject for a whole new thread. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 06:19

I think we're in danger of straying off-topic here. The differences between British and American humour is a subject for a whole new thread. Smile

I'm not American LOL

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 06:25

I'm not American LOL
Sorry, but your location of Wonderland doesn't give much of a clue as to where you're actually from. Tongue

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 06:32

I'm not American LOL
Sorry, but your location of Wonderland doesn't give much of a clue as to where you're actually from. Tongue

that's the idea LOL

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 06:45

I'm not American LOL

that's the idea LOL
You could be from England too for all I know, although I suspect you're from Eastern Europe. Wink

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 06:54

You could be from England too for all I know, although I suspect you're from Eastern Europe. Wink

you suspect? how dare you! LOLLOL

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 07:07

Okay, let me put it another way: I have good reason to think you might be from Eastern Europe. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 07:12

Okay, let me put it another way: I have good reason to think you might be from Eastern Europe. Smile

good reason? do tell.

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 07:30

good reason? do tell.
I may be wrong but I seem to recall you mentioning you're from Eastern Europe in another forum. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 07:36

good reason? do tell.
I may be wrong but I seem to recall you mentioning you're from Eastern Europe in another forum. Smile

I don't remember that. And I am happy I don't have to mention where i am from, simply because sooner or later someone will misjudge someone else based on where one is from, which is not ok (to put it nicely). It's happened to me, not on PA, but still... If music brought us here, let's stick to that.

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 07:58

good reason? do tell.

I don't remember that. And I am happy I don't have to mention where i am from, simply because sooner or later someone will misjudge someone else based on where one is from, which is not ok (to put it nicely). It's happened to me, not on PA, but still... If music brought us here, let's stick to that.
My sister-in-law is from Eastern Europe, so I wouldn't judge you for being from Eastern Europe, or from anywhere else for that matter. You could be from Timbuktu, or from the wilds of Borneo, or the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, or even Outer Mongolia for all I know, or maybe even  the deserts of Sudan, And the gardens of Japan, or from Milan to Yucatan,  but it makes no difference to me. - "Hit me with your rhythm stick." Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 08:11
can I judge you for having a cat in your avatar?
It would be a favourable judgement Tongue

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 08:16

yes, you can
ans it's not a cat, it's my cat, or better said I'm her human. LOL Or something... 

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 08:19
To be honest, I can't stand that Ian Dury & the Blockheads song, even though I just quoted the song lyrics. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 14:44

yes, you can
ans it's not a cat, it's my cat, or better said I'm her human. LOL Or something... 

that is one of the many wonders of the smallest feline

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 15:49

yes, you can

haha..  I do and it is a very favorable one. Cats rule.. dogs and people are made for each.. to be ruled haha.

and let me take a private compliment and reiterate it..   I never knew you were a non native as it were till you told me.  f**k man.. I think your English is better than mine LOL

-------------

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 16:10
Alrighty Paul, I'm one of Crossover Team members (and one of Related Team ones) so shall I take her to Team for eval?

Anyway, would you please let me know her "most progressive" album?

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 18:00
Annie Haslam's most progressive album in my opinion was her first album "Annie in Wonderland" (1977). There's a sample from the album  in this thread.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 18:09
Annie Haslam for cross-over porn? Sure! Where are the videos?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 18:20
oh dear God....I'd pay good money... really good money.. for a video of her giving herself a foot rub...  even better.. while singing.. 

porn? For losers.. but that is some porn even the Big Mick can dig...

what a woman.. and her feet..  awe inspiring...

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 18:25
Where did crossover porn come into it? Smile

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 20:45
Under eval https://progfreak.com/Annie-Haslam-174206.html?path=pa/recent" rel="nofollow - here .

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 01:20
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Under eval https://progfreak.com/Annie-Haslam-174206.html?path=pa/recent" rel="nofollow - here .

Thanks. Here's another sample song from Annie Haslam's first album.....

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 02:21
I think she was rejected around 2009. I remember because it was my suggestion. Personally I don't think I'd suggest her again today. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 04:20

Annie Haslam's prog credentials are far stronger than those of Kate Bush or Tori Amos in my opinion.

Anyone who dismisses Annie Haslam as an "MOR Pop singer", as SteveG did earlier, clearly doesn't know much about music, so if anyone needs an education here, it's SteveG. Smile
To make you feel better Paul, I meant that Annie's solo albums taken purely in isolation, would paint her as an MOR artist. A fact that she readily agrees with and has stated so on many occasions and is quite proud of that fact. She was making solo albums in order to make a living and did not see prog as a way of getting there at the time. Please be aware that many members like myself personally know Annie as well other prog artists, even though we don't publicize the fact, and we know of what we speak and would not say anything that these artists would find to be contrary. What they say is what we relate to others, no more no less. You may not need an education in musical genres but you definitely need an education in how to relate with other adults that you disagree with. I found your responses to be quite childish and annoying. As usual.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 05:08
^^ I was just trying to defend Annie Haslam's honour as an esteemed artist in the Progressive Rock genre.
Annie's a "Woman Transcending" MOR Pop. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 06:56
^ Well, that's a start but you would have to add Blessing In Disguise, Still Life and The Dawn Of Ananda to that list of MOR albums, with her s/t debut falling between MOR and AOR. That's all of her albums after Annie In Wonderland. And MOR is not a bad word in my book. Frank Sinatra is the most famous and successful MOR artist ever and I doubt, if he we're still alive, would have any problem being labeled as such as he's laughing all the way to the bank.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 07:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Well, that's a start but you would have to add Blessing In Disguise, Still Life and The Dawn Of Ananda to that list of MOR albums, with her s/t debut falling between MOR and AOR. That's all of her albums after Annie In Wonderland. And MOR is not a bad word in my book. Frank Sinatra is the most famous and successful MOR artist ever and I doubt, if he we're still alive, would have any problem being labeled as such as he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Annie Haslam's "Still Life" album is labelled as Symphonic Rock on Wikipedia, and it sounds like Symphonic Rock to me too, not MOR Pop. Wink

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:25
^ terms like symphonic rock, Krautrock or even jazz-rock exist but don't mean they are progressive. Those are important distinctions to understand before you suggest anything here. You should really read the definition of progressive rock nicely written out by the site's original pioneers. It will make it quite clear what prog is. Don't judge the site by some of the artists that slipped in and probably shouldn't be here. Tori Amos for example (as far as i know and i have several albums.) From the samples i've heard of Annie's solo work, it's basically like Renaissance only not progressive. It's some sort of classical / folk crossover over.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ terms like symphonic rock, Krautrock or even jazz-rock exist but don't mean they are progressive. Those are important distinctions to understand before you suggest anything here. You should really read the definition of progressive rock nicely written out by the site's original pioneers. It will make it quite clear what prog is. Don't judge the site by some of the artists that slipped in and probably shouldn't be here. Tori Amos for example (as far as i know and i have several albums.) From the samples i've heard of Annie's solo work, it's basically like Renaissance only not progressive. It's some sort of classical / folk crossover over.
And that's the key: It's not progressive. What I'll do later on is post youtube songs of at least two songs from every album after Annie In Wonderland to demonstrate that none of it is prog and we can finally put this horse sh*t to bed.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:55
^ well, it's clear that Paul doesn't grasp the criteria of what constitutes prog for a site like this. It would save everybody a bunch of time if this was clearly understood otherwise, sorry man, you're suggestions are just gonna get shot down time and time again Wink

Read this until you can repeat it word for word in yer sleep LOL
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: HarryAngel746
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:28
By the way:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:
"If it is a classic band, or artist.. you can bet your ass they are here if they merit it.. and if not.. they were rejected. We once had scores of people dedicated to additions.. filling out the database and there are not many we missed."

Hehe - I think totally differently, but time will show how many more pearls are left Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:35
Annie Haslam is being evaluated for possible inclusion in ProgArchives right now, so it's not over until the Symphonic Rock Lady Sings. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:48
It's too bad that Annie is not a PA member. She'd probably shoot this down herself. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:06

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:25

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

Is This Prog Rock?

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:28
To be fair her first album "Annie in Wonderland" is listed as symphonic rock and progressive rock on wikipedia and her second one as symphonic rock. So, that's something.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:30
^^ Thanks for posting Annie Haslam's "Going Home". I love that song. It is of course Dvorak's New World Symphony, which I always associate with Hovis bread. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

To be fair her first album "Annie in Wonderland" is listed as symphonic rock and progressive rock on wikipedia and her second one as symphonic rock. So, that's something.

Thanks! Thumbs Up That's the point I've been trying to make all along. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:36
Annie Haslam's version of George Benson's "Nature Boy" sounds just like the kind of Progressive Rock song Renaissance could have recorded. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 13:58

To be fair, listen for yourself. All of the above videos are Annie's favorites from these albums as were related in the liner notes of the CDs and on blog sites. I don't find anything progressive about these songs. The Still Life album that's deemed Symphonic Rock is Symphonic Shlock. Again, there's nothing progressive about these songs but it is a great idea. The Blessing In Disguise album is pure MOR as is the Woman Transcending album that has a touch of electro pop as well as two Country Rock songs! I won't post the country rock songs and spare you.

This is a true representation of Annie's solo output, and as she herself has said, it's is not prog rock. Again, you have ears, make up your own mind or listen to the entire albums on Youtube and then decide. The MOR will remain as long as you care to listen.

Now, I'm going to listen to some KC and forget all about these songs for today.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 14:11
^^ You're clearly no fan of Annie Haslam if you're rudely going to dismiss her wonderful music as "Symphonic Schlock". I think you've now lost all credibility with that rude and uncalled for comment. Stern Smile

The only thing you've convinced me of is that you know precious little about music if that's your offhand attitude towards Annie Haslam - one of the greatest female Prog-Rock singers of all time!

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 14:18

To be fair, listen for yourself. All of the above videos are Annie's favorites from these albums as were related in the liner notes of the CDs and on blog sites. I don't find anything progressive about these songs. The Still Life album that's deemed Symphonic Rock is Symphonic Shlock. Again, there's nothing progressive about these songs but it is a great idea. The Blessing In Disguise album is pure MOR as is the Woman Transcending album that has a touch of electro pop as well as two Country Rock songs! I won't post the country rock songs and spare you.

This is a true representation of Annie's solo output, and as she herself has said, it's is not prog rock. Again, you have ears, make up your own mind or listen to the entire albums on Youtube and then decide. The MOR will remain as long as you care to listen.

So then why post them if they aren't progressive? Just to show us how non prog she was? I was just telling you what she was listed as in wikipedia. Anyone could pull out a few songs from a few albums and say they weren't progressive just because of a few songs. Geesh. I could put up more fool me and I know what I like and say selling england wasn't prog or wonderous stories and going for the one and say GFTO wasn't prog. I don't think wikipedia would list her as progressive rock if they didn't feel that way. I don't always agree with them but heck I don't always agree with PA either.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 14:39

Annie Haslam's version of George Benson's "Nature Boy" sounds just like the kind of Progressive Rock song Renaissance could have recorded. Smile
Actually, Nat King Cole first made that song a hit.  It was written by Eden Ahbez.  And I absolutely LOVE this LP of Annie's and that song is one of the highlights for me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 14:51
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Actually, Nat King Cole first made that song a hit.  It was written by Eden Ahbez.  And I absolutely LOVE this LP of Annie's and that song is one of the highlights for me.
I have Nat King Cole's version of "Nature Boy" on CD too, although I wasn't sure if many PA members would be old enough to remember it. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 15:10
Are you calling me old?  LOL  Just couldn't resist....

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 15:56

Are you calling me old?  LOL  Just couldn't resist....

No, I'm calling myself old. Smile I was five years old when Nat King Cole died and I was born the same year as Buddy Holly and Billie Holiday died.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 15:58
I am still older than you, but I just couldn't resist....Hopefully no offense taken, none was taken by me.  Smile  
I am pretty hard to offend.  Life is easier that way.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 16:19

I am still older than you, but I just couldn't resist....Hopefully no offense taken, none was taken by me.  Smile  
I am pretty hard to offend.  Life is easier that way.
I never would have guessed you were older than I am. Smile

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 04:27

So then why post them if they aren't progressive? Just to show us how non prog she was? I was just telling you what she was listed as in wikipedia. Anyone could pull out a few songs from a few albums and say they weren't progressive just because of a few songs. Geesh. I could put up more fool me and I know what I like and say selling england wasn't prog or wonderous stories and going for the one and say GFTO wasn't prog. I don't think wikipedia would list her as progressive rock if they didn't feel that way. I don't always agree with them but heck I don't always agree with PA either.
That's why I said that you have ears and to listen to the entire albums, in snippets, to decide for yourself. We've all become quite dependent on relying on sources like Wikipedia to classify and identify genres, etc. as well as listening to someone constantly state that a certain body of music is progressive when it's not. That's why we have so many questionable entries listed in PA under the various sub genres.
And to be fair, these posts are not aimed at you and other members but to the PA contributors who determine which artists are included in PA. I still have faith that they judge with their ears and not by what's written in dubious authorities like Wikipedia.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:57

That's why I said that you have ears and to listen to the entire albums, in snippets, to decide for yourself. We've all become quite dependent on relying on sources like Wikipedia to classify and identify genres, etc. as well as listening to someone constantly state that a certain body of music is progressive when it's not. That's why we have so many questionable entries listed in PA under the various sub genres.
And to be fair, these posts are not aimed at you and other members but to the PA contributors who determine which artists are included in PA. I still have faith that they judge with their ears and not by what's written in dubious authorities like Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is clearly more knowledgeable about music than you are. They don't rudely dismiss Annie Haslam's wonderful Symphonic Rock as "Symphonic Schlock". Stern Smile

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 06:48
Gee, I thought she was neo prog. Shocked

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 07:01
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote: