Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121632
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 11:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Age of PA folk
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: Age of PA folk
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 18:00
Curious about the age of forum folk. I'm pushing sixty.

Replies:
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 18:05
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

You may not know who he is in the States, but I'm the same age as Simon Cowell. Smile

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 19:19
Based on the Chinese lunar calendar: 47 Years/10 Month/3 Day - Year of the Gui Chou.
It also says that I am a boy.

but I'm pretty sure that I am younger than that though, don't think I've reach 47 yet.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 19:21

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 20:31

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 20:49
Wow, this hasn't come up in a while has it? My guess would be that most on here are between 18 and 26 and 52 and 68. Yes, that's a big age gap. ;) 

Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 20:50
Anyway, I'm 49. I first got into prog during the dark ages(1980's Tongue ).

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 21:30
Option #2

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: November 27 2019 at 23:19

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 00:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You may not know who he is in the States, but I'm the same age as Simon Cowell. Smile

So am I (29 days older, to be more precisely),

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 00:13

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 03:02
57 (converted to your humanoid years)

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 03:28

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 04:06
65 (in 4 weeks)

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 04:12
There was a thread at one point where people were asked to post one great album from the year they were born. You may find it using the search function.
Mine was Revolver.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 06:15
55 and retired - woohoo

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 07:47
hah..

other...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 07:55
30!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 10:05
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

55 and retired - woohoo

Bloody jammy sod! LOL

I am 54 and still slaving away. 55 next month.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 12:26
Well, my wife claims I act like a teenager still. So there's that.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 13:23
53, I wish I was born a couple of years earlier even if that would mean I would be older now.

Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 13:40
I was born in 1959 and I wouldn't want to be a year younger or a year older. 1959 was the perfect year to be born for a music lover. I'm old enough to have lived through the Beatles era, but young enough to enjoy the Internet era, where I can rediscover the great music that passed me by in the 1960's and 70's. Smile

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 14:39

I was born in 1959 and I wouldn't want to be a year younger or a year older. 1959 was the perfect year to be born for a music lover. I'm old enough to have lived through the Beatles era, but young enough to enjoy the Internet era, where I can rediscover the great music that passed me by in the 1960's and 70's. Smile

Seconded Big smile.

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 15:01
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Seconded Big smile.
It's nice to know there's Someone Else here who's the same age as I am. Smile

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: November 28 2019 at 19:14

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 03:48
I didn't see an option for Old Fart, so I'm excluded.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 05:30
I was born in 1981, yet due to a violent and traumatic turkey (animal) attack and our battle [with the help of the older kids who were throwing stones to the combative turkey, while I was fighting tooth and nail with it and risking my skull while protecting my eyes; moreover I thought the stones were being cast to me, while I was seeing them from between my bloody fingers, which made me think how brutal life is then, haha. (I was saved by my hero daddy, in the end.)] , I vividly remember from 1983 and after with awesome clarity. The turkey made me open my eyes very early, people!

I think the 80s were the best period (not for prog, but for the atmosphere), so due to my extraordinary memory, I'm glad about the year I was born.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 06:19
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

I was born in 1981, yet due to a violent and traumatic turkey (animal) attack and our battle [with the help of the older kids who were throwing stones to the combative turkey, while I was fighting tooth and nail with it and risking my skull while protecting my eyes; moreover I thought the stones were being cast to me, while I was seeing them from between my bloody fingers, which made me think how brutal life is then, haha. (I was saved by my hero daddy, in the end.)] , I vividly remember from 1983 and after with awesome clarity. The turkey made me open my eyes very early, people!

I think the 80s were the best period (not for prog, but for the atmosphere), so due to my extraordinary memory, I'm glad about the year I was born.

Wow!  That sounds incredibly dramatic and traumatic!

What happened to the turkey?

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 06:22
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

Wow!  That sounds incredibly dramatic and traumatic!

What happened to the turkey?

It was a huge gobbler, so only daddy could handle the situation. Grabbed it and threw it away. No harm done, I guess. Yet lots of stones were cast on it. Hope it survived. Smile

And thanks. Embarrassed

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 07:32
A lot of olds in these here forums. Is prog on the decline for the youngs or do they just not participate in this forum?

Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 07:39

A lot of olds in these here forums. Is prog on the decline for the youngs or do they just not participate in this forum?

I guess it is related the era they were born and/or raised in: The Social Media Madness; at least to a great extent.

They were spoon-fed with things in their "chosen" circle, and might not easily adapt to such "adventuresome" and heterogenous alien platforms.

We learned to give value to our limited options, yet especially the millennials have had such abundant options that naturally they don't value anything, unless they are really outstanding.

I'm not convictive and judgemental, yet I think this is the main reason, for the majority of the youth.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 08:10
I'm 24.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 14:57

Seconded Big smile.

Born in 1958, so we're close in age.

Date Posted: November 29 2019 at 15:33
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Seconded Big smile.

Born in 1958, so we're close in age.
1958 is a great year to be born too. Thumbs Up That makes at least four of the forum regulars here who are all roughly the same age:- Me, You, Snicolette & Someone Else. Smile

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:09
I'm always curious how those under 35 or so get into prog. Is it through their parents or Dream Theater or what. It always interests me because they are obviously to young to have gotten into it during the golden era(even those a little bit older).

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm always curious how those under 35 or so get into prog. Is it through their parents or Dream Theater or what. It always interests me because they are obviously to young to have gotten into it during the golden era(even those a little bit older).

That's why I'm SO glad I was born in 1959, because I lived right through the Golden Era of Prog, and I was just old enough to appreciate it. Obviously, at that time, I didn't realise the Golden Era of Prog was only going to last until the end of the 1970's.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:23
Oh boy here we go...

I’m 18, 19 in a few months.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:24
I got into prog through SBB, which I found by accident while digging for samples.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I got into prog through SBB, which I found by accident while digging for samples.
Who or what is "SBB"? I Googled it and it said SBB stands for Swiss Federal Railways, but that can't be right. Smile

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:35

Who or what is "SBB"? I Googled it and it said SBB stands for Swiss Federal Railways, but that can't be right. Smile

They’re on PA, wanna say they’re eclectic prog

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:39
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

They’re on PA, wanna say they’re eclectic prog

I assumed SBB must be an abbreviation for another well-known band, such as "KC" or "VDGG" Smile

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:42

I was a fan of Kansas’s prog stuff and some cuts off trick of the tail, but it wasn’t till my friend whose a year younger than me who really likes prog played me Firth Of Fifth in the car and that got me into Genesis. I just expanded from there.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:01

I was a fan of Kansas’s prog stuff and some cuts off trick of the tail, but it wasn’t till my friend whose a year younger than me who really likes prog played me Firth Of Fifth in the car and that got me into Genesis. I just expanded from there.

But then that begs the question how did your friend get into prog? Wink Sooner or later you can probably draw a line to somebody's parents. Even my dad who was too old to be into prog in the old days had a copy of "The Yes album" which served as some kind of reference point for me(sort of).

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:07

But then that begs the question how did your friend get into prog? Wink Sooner or later you can probably draw a line to somebody's parents. Even my dad who was too old to be into prog in the old days had a copy of "The Yes album" which served as some kind of reference point for me(sort of).

He got into it through rush and Pink Floyd, though his dad has a decent prog collection.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:13
It sounds like he got into it through his dad unless his dad got into prog after he did(which I suppose is possible). Lol.

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:21

It sounds like he got into it through his dad unless his dad got into prog after he did(which I suppose is possible). Lol.

We both were raised listening to classic rock, so we kinda worked our way to it through bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep purple. His dad definitely had a role in it though, he has a ton of prog CDs. My dad is a huge Genesis fan as well.

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:32

We both were raised listening to classic rock, so we kinda worked our way to it through bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep purple. His dad definitely had a role in it though, he has a ton of prog CDs. My dad is a huge Genesis fan as well.

Being that I got into prog during the 80's it was a bit indirect also. Like I said my dad had TYA but that's about it for prog really(a lot of classic rock too and a lot of jazz). My cousin was into Genesis and Yes and at one point asked me if I ever heard of King Crimson. I believe my answer at the time was "no." Also, my uncle(who is now almost 90)got into Pink Floyd later life through some friends(I guess this was the early 80's)but that's just about the only rock band he ever liked. My brother had a friend who was big into Rush so I sort of got into them through him. Also, I sort of toyed around with the guitar and had a guitar book that mentioned Robert Fripp and King Crimson and I also had a rock encyclopedia book that mentioned some prog bands(no real logic behind the progressive rock choices in the book: they had Yes, Genesis, PF, Rush, JT and even Soft Machine, Gong and Marillion but not Camel, VDGG or Gentle Giant).Still, it did help me to get more into prog as did discovering a music magazines a little later. Things just snowballed after I became aware that the bands I liked the most were called "progressive rock."

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:33
https://radikal.ru" rel="nofollow">

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Farts Club Band.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:36

This website helped for sure when I was extremely bored in High School, but I got into prog by searching what kind of music I wanted to listen to and I found some prog bands online.

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:43
Well shoutout to the other person in 15-25 age group hahaha

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 17:10

I'm the wrong person to answer because I'm 50+, but everyone can listen to all kinds of older music, it's all around. When I got into prog it wasn't "golden era" anymore, but that wouldn't stop me from finding good stuff. A bright young person needs to hear one great thing somewhere, then do some research, and build their own taste. It doesn't have to be "through" anyone. (Admittedly I heard my first prog in my father's car, but he wasn't actually that interested. It was just a tape he had flying around. He even thought it was Elton John, but Elton John was on the other side. He reimbursed me because it was his fault I bought the wrong album first, Elton John's Greatest Hits. Actually it was Watch by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. True story, haha!)

Date Posted: November 30 2019 at 17:50

Well shoutout to the other person in 15-25 age group hahaha

I wished I was still in that age range! Confused But not too far off though.

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 10:35
If there was an option of 45-50 there would be about at least half the number there is now because that would mean that typically they(we)would have had to have discovered the genre in the 80's which was definitely not easy to do(trust me). Even worse would be discovering it in the 90's(despite all the talk about a "prog revival")which is why the ten year span before it is even more under represented.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk