Posted By: TexasKing
Subject: Fragile or Meddle?
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 15:48
Take your pick.

Fragile for me.

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:10
Meddle is a deep, penetrating journey into places unknown tempered by a little lightness and nonsense.   Fragile is not.

Meddle.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:17
Meddle for sure

Fragile isn't very good in my opinion

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:28
I just bought meddle over the weekend and was playing it in my car a little while ago. Still, it's fragile for me though. 

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:31
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Meddle for sure

Aside from "one of these days" and "echoes" that's kind of how I feel about Meddle. "Pillow of winds" is nice but a bit sleepy and the same thing with "San Tropez." 'Fearless" is alright though. "Seamus" on the other hand is just downright annoying(or should I say that dog in particular). No way would I put meddle about fragile but that's just me I guess. I kind of get why people don't like the solo pieces but for me it's the variety of the solo pieces that makes fragile so interesting and fun to listen to. Or at least the solo pieces add something to it. Without them it would still be very good but I don't feel the solo pieces detract from it(at least not my enjoyment anyway)like so many people seem to think.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:34
MEddle 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Meddle for sure

Aside from "one of these days" and "echoes" that's kind of how I feel about Meddle. "Pillow of winds" is nice but a bit sleepy and the same thing with "San Tropez." Fearless is alright though. "" on the other hand is just downright annoying(or should I say that dog in particular). No way would I put meddle about fragile but that's just me I guess. I kind of get why people don't like the solo pieces but for me it's the variety of the solo pieces that makes fragile so interesting and fun to listen to. Or at least the solo pieces add something to it. Without them it would still be very good but I don't feel the solo pieces detract from it(at least not my enjoyment anyway)like so many people seem to think.

For me its less of not liking the solo pieces as its more of just thinking that their other albums are better. It is good, but I always have enjoyed the yes album and the 3 that follow fragile a lot more. I do enjoy every song on meddle besides seamus but... meh I can look past that. One thing from Fragile that has always alluded me is Heart of the Sunrise. It seems everyone dearly loves that song but it's just never appealed to me for some reason. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 17:10
Wow, really? HOTS is possibly the best thing on it. Lol. It took me a while to warm up to it but the same thing could be said about yours is no disgrace(at least for me). For me the weakest link between TYA and relayer for me personally is tales from topographic oceans which is kind of weird because I consider myself to be a rather spiritual person(and it's probably yes's most spiritual/mystical release). I still like it but I just think parts are a bit drawn out and it would have been better as a single(I feel more or less the same way about lamb actually).

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 17:24
Both have some stuff that I don't like. But Meddle has Echoes.

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 17:58
And on the contrary, tales is my favorite yes album haha

-------------

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 18:33
I just recently got into Meddle lol, and I quite like it. But geez not as much as Fragile no.

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 18:36

And on the contrary, tales is my favorite yes album haha

There are certainly others who feel that way as well but the majority seem to favor CTTE. Relayer is my personal favorite maybe partly because I heard it rather early on.

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 18:37
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I just recently got into Meddle lol, and I quite like it. But geez not as much as Fragile no.

Yep. Ditto for me as well(except for the just recently getting into it part; I used to borrow my uncles PF albums so heard most of them at a rather early age).

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 19:33
Meddle, but not by much. Sure, it has some off beat crap like San Tropez and Seamus, but then Fragile has some equally goofy crap like Five Per Cent for Nothing and We Have Heaven. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 19:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Meddle, but not by much. Sure, it has some off beat crap like San Tropez and Seamus, but then Fragile has some equally goofy crap like Five Per Cent for Nothing and We Have Heaven. 

Hmmm, offbeat vs goofy. Well, I don't think there's much goofier than Seamus although to me it's more annoying than anything else. 

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 19:46
Well, I'll go a bit personal for just a moment.

One morning not long ago, I needed one album that would see me across town to bury my mom....a car ride that I don't believe I will ever forget how it felt. The length of the album was about perfect with the subtraction of the Seamus track...which I often skip anyway, and I did again that morning.

Naturally, I was wrecked. The music worked pretty well at temporarily numbing what I was feeling so I could drive, which I believe subconsciously is why I grabbed that one. I didn't really hear the music the way I normally do, attentively, because my thoughts were too intrusive and constant, but it worked pretty well at just holding everything together so I could navigate traffic and get there in one piece. Echoes was particularly effective.

I often choose certain Floyd for difficult trips, of which there have been many in life recently. But I owe a special nod to Meddle for that spring morning.

As for a poll....I like em both.

-------------

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 21:36
Fragile is stylistically inconsistent, as should be expected from what really amounts to five mini solo efforts cluged together.

... but it is consistently excellent and that stylistic inconsistency actually adds to the album's greatness in the form of welcome variety.

Easy vote for Fragile.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 22:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Well, I'll go a bit personal for just a moment.

One morning not long ago, I needed one album that would see me across town to bury my mom....a car ride that I don't believe I will ever forget how it felt. The length of the album was about perfect with the subtraction of the Seamus track...which I often skip anyway, and I did again that morning.

Naturally, I was wrecked. The music worked pretty well at temporarily numbing what I was feeling so I could drive, which I believe subconsciously is why I grabbed that one. I didn't really hear the music the way I normally do, attentively, because my thoughts were too intrusive and constant, but it worked pretty well at just holding everything together so I could navigate traffic and get there in one piece. Echoes was particularly effective.

I often choose certain Floyd for difficult trips, of which there have been many in life recently. But I owe a special nod to Meddle for that spring morning.

As for a poll....I like em both.

That's a sad story, Jim.  I try not to think about it, but for the first time in my life I looked at my parents and felt that they seemed...old.  (I know weight loss has a lot to do with it, but still).  It made me think.

Fragile gets my vote. 

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 22:48
Meddle by far

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 00:18
Neither is perfect. Fragile has far too much 'filler' but Heart of The Sunrise , The South Side Of The Sky and Roundabout are probably my favourite Yes tracks all in one place. As far as Floyd goes then One Of These Days and Echoes seriously kick arse but the rest I'm not bothered about or just don't like (Seamus). Fragile 4 stars , Meddle 4 stars (but rounded up from 3.5) so voted Fragile.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 02:49
Fragile!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 04:00
I'd rather go heavy on the Meddle.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 05:10
Even with some weak tracks on the "shorts" side, "Echoes" is my top 1 track, so neither a great album like Fragile can beat it.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 05:20
Fragile gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Mudpuppy64
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 06:52
Meddle.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 08:36
Fragile is a landmark album nothing sounds like it--it has swing---and still sounds fresh and cool---Rick joined and their sound was complete--the individual songs highlight the individual talent and the group songs are the sum of those parts---it's also so important because this lineup inspired each other so much that they created a prog masterpiece next. 

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 08:53
Both have amazing songs and both have mediocre fillers. I'd go with Fragile anyways

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 09:11
Like both but voted for Fragile.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 09:25
Two very different albums that I love for very different reasons, and cannot choose one over the other.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:17
Although "Echoes" is my favourite Pink Floyd track, and "One of These Days" is awesome, that's not enough for me to vote for "Meddle" over "Fragile", which is my second favourite Yes album. I actually like the eclecticism of that album, though for me, it's "South Side of the Sky" that has the greatest appeal.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:50
Fragile. All day.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 12:11
Meddle is awesome

but

Fragile

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 12:25
Fragile for me

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 13:07

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: Dreamkiller
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 14:31
MeddleThumbs Up

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 14:42
Meddle

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 17:00
I love Echoes, but Fragile is a complete album throughout.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 17:05
This is cruel, but even though Meddle has Echoes, I have to go with Fragile, which for me is overall great, even with the solo spots, which I actually either find good just as well, or short enough to not harm the album. If only Wakeman had been able to include what he really wanted to contribute for his spot, as I understand it the song that became Catherine of Aragon, it would have made an important impact on the quality of the album.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 18:04
Thanks Rob.
Yeah, it gives pause. I remember that feeling too.

-------------

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 18:21
Fragile.

Meddle is Pink Floyd's weakest and least innovative album.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 18:43
Fragile today.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 19:54
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Fragile today.

Awww...do you need a hug?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 02:47
Meddle for me

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 03:12
Fragile kicking some butt from behind, and Meddle a slow but steady tortoise?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 06:37
Fra-gee-lay, all day

Echoes is, of course, great but the album track lacks almost everything great that the far superior Live At Pompeii Version of Echoes has and the rest of the album, other than One of These Days does little for me.  

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 11:57
Both are wonderful. Both have non-essential tracks. I thought I was going to vote for Fragile, but surprised myself for voting for Meddle. Only reason I can come up with is that its weak moments are less numerous.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 12:16
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Fragile today.

Awww...do you need a hug?

hehehe

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

<span style="font-size: 13px;">Fragile.</span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;">
<span style="font-size: 13px;">
</span>
Meddle is Pink Floyd's weakest and least innovative album.</span>

Well, I think with Echoes (and One of These Days) they actually nailed what would become their classic sound, but besides those 2, I don't really find much to love (though there are still a few nice songs left on the album, and some I really prefer not to listen to).

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:24
Fragile is the one I still play.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 15:21
Meddle, obviously.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 16:24
Fragile.....Roundabout, South Side, Runaround and Heart.....killer tracks imho.
Meddle has side 2, Echoes...side 1 is ...well ,pick your own adjective.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 21:58
Fragile

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: December 04 2019 at 01:29
Fragile.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: December 04 2019 at 09:50

For me its less of not liking the solo pieces as its more of just thinking that their other albums are better. It is good, but I always have enjoyed the yes album and the 3 that follow fragile a lot more. I do enjoy every song on meddle besides seamus but... meh I can look past that. One thing from Fragile that has always alluded me is Heart of the Sunrise. It seems everyone dearly loves that song but it's just never appealed to me for some reason. Ouch

I'm glad I'm not alone on this big big world. Exactly what I always thought about Fragile. Well, it's quite good but I like albums before and after it (much) more. The passing years changed nothing on this fact (and I speak about almost 35 years I listen to music Yes including).
On the other side Meddle wasn't my favourite PF album first. Maybe I could say I almost detested it first (it had surely something to do with fact my twin brother adored PF and I had to be in opposition to him - Meddle was then the first PF record I could hit to :-D ) During the years I've been finding it better and better. Today it's one of my dearly loved pieces from Floyds.
And thus my vote goes to... Meddle.

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2019 at 13:36
^ For me Fragile is among the very best of Yes, along with CttE (the ones with the perfect line-up as far as I'm concerned, and it can be heard on the music). The Yes album might actually be among the ones I like least, since the only song I really like on it is Starship Trooper, and then the version that I love is the one on Keys to Ascension, to the point that I find the original studio version rather underwhelming by comparison. As for Tales, well, I do love Revealing Science of God, but I do struggle with the other songs. And about Heart of the Sunrise, it's actually a difficult song for me too... it becomes too repetitive and too varied at the same time, and that makes it somewhat annoying, though I have come to apreciate it with time... yet, the version that I have really come to love of that song is the one on An Evening of Yes Music by ABWH.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:43
Meddle is great album but its Fragile for me 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:56
Pink Floyd - Meddle

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk