Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121728
Printed Date: February 25 2020 at 05:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genesis Solo Artists Poll
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Genesis Solo Artists Poll
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:10
If you'd like to list your favourite solo albums below by each of the six Genesis members, that would be great. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:20
Six? Okay...

Peter Gabriel - Car
Peter Gabriel - Scratch
Peter Gabriel - Melt
Peter Gabriel - Security
Peter Gabriel - So
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte

I don't really subscribe to following rules to the letter.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:23
I enjoy mashing up tracks from A Curious Feeling, Bankstatement, Still, and Strictly Inc. a lot.  I really like A Curious Feeling.  

Almost voted for Rutherford, but I can't abide the over-poppiness of Mike & The Mechanics, but Smallcreeps Day is one of my favorite albums of a Genesis solo act.  Smallcreeps is a landmark album for that era (at least I think).  Love it from start to finish IN ORDER.

So, Banks first, maybe Rutherford second.

As far as Gabriel.  He would be my third.  Although I would have to strictly limit it to Peter Gabriel II.  But I think that album is less about him and more about my love of Robert Fripp and the fact that was part of the Exposure trilogy (Gabriel II, Daryl Hall-Sacred Songs (incredible album), and Robert Fripp-Exposure).  Those three albums together are INCREDIBLE.

So Gabriel third.

I feel that Collins redeems himself on every level ONLY with Brand X, PERIOD.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:29
Hckett 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Six? Okay...

Peter Gabriel - Car
Peter Gabriel - Scratch
Peter Gabriel - Melt
Peter Gabriel - Security
Peter Gabriel - So

I don't really subscribe to following rules to the letter.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be able to come up with a favourite solo album by each of the six Genesis artists either, because I haven't listened to that many, apart from a Steve Hackett 5-CD box set. Smile

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:01
Peter Gabriel

Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:03
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

I enjoy mashing up tracks from A Curious Feeling, Bankstatement, Still, and Strictly Inc. a lot.  I really like A Curious Feeling.  

I'm looking forward to reviewing Tony Banks' first album pretty soon, having never listened to any of his solo albums before.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:14
Hackett. As a solo, none of the others are even in the same league.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:59
Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!

I saw him live a few weeks ago. He is not much of a showman, but his band are sensational and he is a truly superb player. His solo material is a bit inconsistent, but when it is good, it's astonishing.

I also like a lot of Gabriel's stuff and the Geese and the Ghost is lovely.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:22
Hackett to me represents total integrity in what he is always doing, I wont say I've liked everything he has done but when I do like it ... I really really like it more than other solo artists ex Genesis in the poll. My vote goes to hackett   

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:40
Gabriel...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:44
Gabriel first
Hackett second
Collins ....  somewhere near the bottom of any poll.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:46
Gabriel/Hackett

Phillips

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 19:54
1. SH
2. AP
3. PG
4. TB
5. PC
6. MR 

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: December 07 2019 at 22:49
I could never choose between Hackett and Gabriel in these polls

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 00:34

Fav soloist from Genesis would be TB followed closely by PG.  then SH PC MR and AP although this is probably unfair to AP because I only have 2 of his albums.

fav album by each
TB - A Curious Feeling
PG - 4
SH - Voyage of the Acolyte
PC - Hello I Must Be Going
MR - Smallcreep's Day
AP -  PPP 8

All of these guys except SH and AP are a far way from where they started.  All have at least one standout album.  Some have several and yes when the mood strikes, I will listen to Mike and the Mechanics.  

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 00:46
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Gabriel first
Hackett second
Collins ....  somewhere near the bottom of any poll.

Yeah, on a prog forum that's fair. But still I bet they all wish they could pool their money together and have half as much as Phil Collins.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:13
I've got to say Hackett for Acolyte alone but if the question was phrased a little differently ( ie based on 'importance') then I would have gone for Gabriel. Both their solo debut offerings are well up there amongst the very best but Gabriel evolved while Hackett has largely stood still while releasing a ridiculous number of albums. He still gets my vote though and his recent album At The Edge of Light is his best for a very long time. The other options are not for me. Banks has released a wadge of uninspired stuff although its not terrible. It just sounds like Duke was his main inspiration for a lot of it and not even the good stuff on that album! Collins at least managed one classic song but that's about it. Rutherford's stuff is deadly dull so no great surprise he is polling NIL. Ant Phillips has not really done very much and I'm not a fan of what he is had done although I realise his first solo album is a popular prog album. I should try and listen to it a bit more perhaps.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:23
I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone Iím not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I havenít heard most of hacketts discography so I canít choose between them..

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone Iím not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I havenít heard most of hacketts discography so I canít choose between them..

very few have LOL

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 04:47
Not very familiar with most of their work. But if I pick one solo album from each artist then his would be the ranking:

1. Anthony Phillips - Wise after the Event
2. Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
3. Peter Gabriel - So
4. Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day
5. Phil Collins - But Seriously...

Don't know where to place Tony Banks: 4, 5 or 6.

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 06:10
I can DANCE INTO THE LIGHT listening to Phil Collins drumming any time. BUT SERIOUSLY though, I can TESTIFY I'm not a big fan of him as a singer. At FACE VALUE, I can see BOTH SIDES of Phil Collins appeal as a drummer and a singer, but I prefer him as a drummer.  Gosh! Is that the time? HELLO, I MUST BE GOING. I'm GOING BACK now to listen to the rest of my Peter Gabriel era Genesis albums. Later, I'll be dining out at a restaurant where there's NO JACKET REQUIRED. Smile

All album titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Phil Collins

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 06:47
1 - Peter Gabriel - Most original overall
2 - Steve Hackett - Most prolific in keeping Genesis music alive and interesting (very close second place)
3 - Everyone else - Most hit and miss artists (a far cry from Gabe's and Hackett)

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 07:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Agree--also many of his solo albums suffer from his vocals--that whole 80's period of Cured and Til we have Faces could have been good but the vocals are so bad and off putting---its not a coincidence that his top rated albums are not sung by him.Embarrassed

Hackett
Banks
Gabriel
Collins
Rutherford---Mikes Smallcreeps day is very good but Mechnics do nothing for me.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 10:54
Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Peter Gabriel are my choice (in that particular order). Tony Banks has done some interesting albums and Mike Rutherford has a few songs that I like. Phill Collins' music I don't really care about, though he has a few pasable tunes, but I could do without them.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 11:22
Oh yes, Hackett for sure.

I have everything. I recommend starting with Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, To Watch the Storms, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon, and the latest At the Edge of Light. To Watch the Storms has some of his best song/music writing. He is the one who still does a lot of tightly orchestrated pieces with lots of changes and varieties of mood in the classic Prog fashion. I donít go along with Richardhís contention that heís just stayed the same. I think heís gone through a continuous evolution. Listen to each of the albums I recommended and they wonít much sound like each other. Alternatively, If you want a Classical excursion, Momentum is fantastic. Heís done several others and has scored for an orchestra on a couple, but Momentum is him and a nylon string guitar, just fantastic. If perhaps you want some blues, Blues With a Feeling has it in spades. He is also very generous with live CDs and DVDs.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 12:11
I'm planning to review Tony Banks' first album tomorrow and I have "A Curious Feeling" I'm going to like it. Smile

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 13:34
Come on guys... I mean, how can you not love it.

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I have everything. I recommend starting with Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, To Watch the Storms, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon, and the latest At the Edge of Light. To Watch the Storms has some of his best song/music writing. He is the one who still does a lot of tightly orchestrated pieces with lots of changes and varieties of mood in the classic Prog fashion. I donít go along with Richardhís contention that heís just stayed the same. I think heís gone through a continuous evolution. Listen to each of the albums I recommended and they wonít much sound like each other. Alternatively, If you want a Classical excursion, Momentum is fantastic. Heís done several others and has scored for an orchestra on a couple, but Momentum is him and a nylon string guitar, just fantastic. If perhaps you want some blues, Blues With a Feeling has it in spades. He is also very generous with live CDs and DVDs.

The only two i've heard in full are Voyage of the Acolyte and Highly Strung and... one was much better than the other LOL

However I have heard cuts off spectral mornings and at the edge of light and have liked what I heard so i'll definitely start with those two. Every Day is such a great song, maybe my favorite Hackett solo besides Firth of Fifth.

Just remembered I also heard please don't touch and wasn't too impressed by it.

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 14:14
The only solo albums I've heard by ANY of the Genesis band members are the five albums on the Steve Hackett box set.

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

yeah I just voted for Phil Collins too Smile ... but hey, you know, a groovy kind of love is not just for a proghead LOL
  What a surprise man .... I just put him above Tony Banks with my 4th vote hahah .........Shocked

-------------
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 17:01
Hackett's To Watch the Storms is a stunning album. Give it a try if you haven't. And there are many more (though it's true that he is a bit inconsistent and has some forgettable stuff scattered all over the place).

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 17:50
I did hear some genesis revisited and let me just say, Neal Morse should not be allowed to sing Return of the Giant Hogweed under any circumstance.

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 19:35
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

yeah I just voted for Phil Collins too Smile ... but hey, you know, a groovy kind of love is not just for a proghead LOL
  What a surprise man .... I just put him above Tony Banks with my 4th vote hahah .........Shocked

Right on man, so you put him ahead of Banks and Rutherford. So now of the Three, he's in the lead and that's how it should be.. I mean he's Phil Collins.

Just be careful you don't get your prog card taken lol.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 22:03
Really like comparing apples to oranges. Hackett is the most proggy. Rutherford and Collins are essentially pop artists. Anthony Phillips is king of the 12 string guitar, Gabriel is into rhythms and Banks lends himself to film scores.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: December 08 2019 at 22:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Brilliant assessment. Just to add one comment, he's one of the few artists whose voice has improved with age. Still not good enough a voice to carry a whole suite of music, by certainly good enough as a secondary supporting voice to add color to the vocals in his music. 

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 02:27
Hackett > Gabriel > Phillips > the rest.

Peter Gabriel - Melt or So
Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost
Tony Banks - 5
Phil Collins - Face Value (?)
Mike Rutherford - ...I don't remember his stuff at all

Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 04:44
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Mike Rutherford - ...I don't remember his stuff at all

Not many people do. I would have been amazed if Mike Rutherford had received any votes in the poll, although someone may vote for him now, just to prove me wrong. Smile 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 04:52
Phil Collins. He may have ruined prog but at least he's better than solo Tony Banks. Clown 

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 05:29
Not really sure how to vote so I probably won't. Haven't heard Banks or Phillips stuff. Smallcreep's Day is pretty nice but don't like Mike and the Mechanics. I only like a smattering of Gabriel's and Hackett's stuff BUT I have come to despise Phil Collin's solo work. Face Value has some good moments but most of what came after it is just awful. Hard to believe this is the guy who was involved in one of the biggest prog bands of the 70s and Brand X. Not sure how you go from that to sappy pop crap.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 07:12
At least Mike Rutherford has picked up a sympathy vote from someone for his two solo albums. Smile

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 07:29
PG with lightyearsl

-------------
Same person as this profile:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 09:28
I think the Genesis members did much better in solo projects than those of the other "Big Six." 

Voted for Ant though could've voted any but Tony. 

Curious that group-acknowledged-Genesis MVP Tony never seemed to realize all that amazing talent in his solo projects. 

-------------
Drew Fisher,
retired radio DJ and dormant music blogger
Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 10:22
I've just reviewed Tony Banks' first album "A Curious Feeling" today and I Love it. Another five-star masterpiece!

Date Posted: December 09 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Not really sure how to vote so I probably won't. Haven't heard Banks or Phillips stuff. Smallcreep's Day is pretty nice but don't like Mike and the Mechanics. I only like a smattering of Gabriel's and Hackett's stuff BUT I have come to despise Phil Collin's solo work. Face Value has some good moments but most of what came after it is just awful. Hard to believe this is the guy who was involved in one of the biggest prog bands of the 70s and Brand X. Not sure how you go from that to sappy pop crap.

Haha. You know, I'm not afraid to admit this as I've already turned in my prog card a while back. If I could only listen to Phil Collins and Donald Fagen(maybe Lionel Richie also) for the rest of my life.. I'd be happy. I'd love it.

Date Posted: December 10 2019 at 00:41
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Probably because there's a lot more money to be made by recording "sappy pop crap". Tongue

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: December 10 2019 at 10:14
PG for me

-------------
Prog On!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk