Print Page | Close Window

Underrated prog from 71 to 75

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122003
Printed Date: May 09 2024 at 21:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Underrated prog from 71 to 75
Posted By: pawnofthedaed
Subject: Underrated prog from 71 to 75
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 22:27
Hey friends, I'm new to the forum and just looking for suggestions for great prog I may have missed from my favorite period of the genre. Hope I'm posting in the right area! If not please inform!

Mostly interrested in symphonic, eclectic, some Krautrock, and maybe a little fusion if it's more on the prog side than full jazz.

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 22:34
Well, you might start by saying what you are already familiar with, what are the most obscure bands/ albums you have heard/heard of etc. 

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 23:37
Sorry for not being specific! For frame of refference I've been listening to Island's Pictures album, Arachnoid's 79 album, and Metropolis' 74 album tonight, all of which are fairly new to me and albums I have been digging! I'd love to hear suggestions for more of any of that kinda stuff besides he more popular influences I know and love, or something along the line of Gentle Giant/Yezda Urfa vibe.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 00:47
Well, here are some of my big favorites from that period:
Finnish:
Wigwam: Fairyport
Tasavallan Presidentti: Lambert Land
Haikara: s/t & Geafar
Kalevala: People No Names
Pekka Pohjola: Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva & Harakka Bialoipokku

Kraut: 
Can: Tago-Mago
Faust: Faust IV
Amon Düül II: Tanz Der Lemminge

Canterbury:
Caravan: In the Land Of Grey & Pink
Soft Machine: 2 & Third
Gong: You
Matching Mole: s/t
Kevin Ayers: the Confessions Of Dr. Dream and Other Stories

Others:
Comus: First Utterance
Family: Fearless
Magma: 2 aka 1001 Centigrades
Roy Harper: Stormcock & Lifemask

These are not the most underrated also not less known (for example Caravan is on this sites top100 list), but anyway also not most known.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 01:02
Gentle Giant/Yezda Urfa kind of sound?
Try some Terreno Baldio as well as Fusioon’s Minorisia. The latter almost makes GG seem uneventful. The former sounds like a South American take on the whimsical Robin Hood band (ie Gentle Giant).

Terreno Baldio: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5RqRhkL0g
Fusioon: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyzJTiLb-4

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 02:45
I can't help but recommend the great Barbara Dennerlein. she is more on the jazz side, but she has a string of six albums ("Straight Ahead", "Hot Stuff", "That's Me", "Take Off", "Junkanoo" and "Outhipped") that have a lot of fusion leanings. she integrates all kind of stuff into her music (blues, Caribean, salsa, funk and more). you have to see her play live though to fully appreciate her due to her unsurpassed foot pedal technique (she definitely doesn't need a bass player); here a clip with an absolutely smoking band: Mitch Watkins on guitar, Rick Keller on sax, Tony Reedus on drums and of course Barbara on her heavily modified Hammond B-3 (she integrates lots of MIDI sounds like for example piano, vibraphone, trumpet and, for her foot pedals, acoustic bass) the title of the track is wrongly given as "It's Me" in the clip; it is actually the title track of her album "That's Me":

"Hot Stuff" is probably the album that has the most fusion leanings. but if you love the Hammond B-3 you can't go wrong with any of those 6 albums I mentioned

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:50
Thank so much for the extensive list! I'm familiar with about half of thoses, but a number I haven't heard, particularly most of the Finnish ones. Definitely will be looking into these!

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 22:56
Been meaning to check out Comus for a while and glad I did! Thanks! Great hauntingly pangan sounding folk that's subtle but unsettling! Reminds me of the folk horror movie The Wicker Man from the 70s, and that's a great thing!

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:00
Checked Fusioon and loved it! Definitely gives me the GG vibe! Feel like there's more to discover with repeat listens and that's the mark of a great prog piece for sure. Thank you!

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:09
I believe Utopias debut is a really cool album in the history of prog. One that really flies under the radar unfortunately.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:21
Wow, Barbara Dennerlein is extremely tallented for sure! Great Jazzy stuff! Thanks for your detailed info about her!

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:52
Agreed about Utopia! Todd Rundgren was fantastic!

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:05
Originally posted by pawnofthedaed pawnofthedaed wrote:

Been meaning to check out Comus for a while and glad I did! Thanks! Great hauntingly pangan sounding folk that's subtle but unsettling! Reminds me of the folk horror movie The Wicker Man from the 70s, and that's a great thing!
Comus really is great, it has been my greatest findings in 2010-decade! I heard it in the nineties (one Finnish band had made a version of title song in the seventies) but nobody didn´t have their albums and there really aren´t then any re-issues made. Then I just forgot them, until decided to listen them in the internet. I really love also their other two albums, although second is quite different and of course both are not as great as Utter.

But, check out also those Finnish albums, I believe you will like at least Wigwam & Pekka Pohjola!

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:06
About Utopia, first album is really great, but rest are not. Another Live & Ra are listenable, after those albums I don´t like at all.

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

About Utopia, first album is really great, but rest are not. Another Live & Ra are listenable, after those albums I don´t like at all.

I agree, I don’t even like those two you mentioned if I’m being honest. But their debut was really cool indeed!

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:29
Agreed as well about Utopia. Ra is ok, but the first is far superior to anything else by them. Crazy that it was only a live album I believe. Doesn't even sound like a love album for most of it, which is a positive for me.

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:30
I have listened quite recently some south-american prog, Arco Iris: Agitor Lucens V is the most recommendation from those (if Spanish doesn´t cause any problems in vocals).

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 02:49
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjj376gsY_nAhXJvZ4KHev-Ah8QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fverso-la-stratosfera.blogspot.com%2F2018%2F02%2Fmorgan-1972-nova-solis.html&psig=AOvVaw2RlP1dtlATiK5VL0miZ8Un&ust=1579513662932453" rel="nofollow">
Related image

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 04:32
Ever heard Gilgamesh?

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 05:05
5 albums that I personally feel get far too little attention are Capability Brown’s Voice, Dashiell Hedayat’s Obsolete, Björn J:son Lindh’s Från Storstad Til Grodspad, Clivage’s Mixtus Orbis as well as Jean-Claude Vannier’s L’enfant Assassin Des Mouches. All albums that wield a certain whiff of the grandeose...though presented in completely different packages.

Capability Brown: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzrK2rAGj4
Dashiell Hedayat: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YBfvPTdMU
Björn J:son Lindh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0Pvk1MQw8
Jean-Claude Vannier: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itVcGGFd2AU
Clivage: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBYaoynkVg

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 09:13
El Patio by Triana is on the edge of masterpiece territory

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 10:10
Frumpy are extremely underrated; their second album is a real gem:

their "Live '72" album is great too.

oh, and that's a woman singing. yes, a woman!

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 22:31
Have been listening to this Morgan and it's amazing! Thanks so much for the recommendation! I checked em out more and really like their 2nd album The Sleeper Wakes possibly more!

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 23:01
Love Gilgamesh for their jazzy style for sure and a GG taste in there as well! Any recommendations for something similar that has vocals besides scat? Vocals always add another layer to prog for me. I get that this isn't the case for jazz fusion regularly haha

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

it's a relatively recent discovery for me but definitely masterpiece IMO.  So alive that it breathes fire even today

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 20:37
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Gentle Giant/Yezda Urfa kind of sound?
Try some Terreno Baldio as well as Fusioon’s Minorisia. The latter almost makes GG seem uneventful. The former sounds like a South American take on the whimsical Robin Hood band (ie Gentle Giant).

Terreno Baldio: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5RqRhkL0g
Fusioon: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyzJTiLb-4

Thanks for reminding me about Fusioon. That's been on my list to check out for years. I keep getting distracted!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 22:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

it's a relatively recent discovery for me but definitely masterpiece IMO.  So alive that it breathes fire even today

I tend to agree, lovely recent remaster as well.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:24
Try some Italian Prog from that era (if you haven't already...)

You will not be sorry!!!

Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:37
^Listen to this man. His words are full of wisdom

Maybe start out with:
Cervello - Melos
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Franco Battiato - Pollution
Lucio Battisti - Anima Latina

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:25
Horslips

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:26
Oh and definitely....

Carmen

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 04:29
^Yep I second that Carmen rec. Both Fandangos In Space and Dancing On A Cold Wind are brilliant.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 06:29
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Try some Italian Prog from that era (if you haven't already...)

You will not be sorry!!!

Good suggestion!  I used to listen to Arti E Mestieri and should cue them up again!  Their LP "Tilt" was great!  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: hugo1995
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 18:08
I second Gilgamesh, but I enjoy this album the most:

OP, do not listen if you want prog. This is Jazz made by prog musicians.

This is the best album of the era in my opinion. Technically it was recorded in 1970, but released 1971. Give the first track a listen, if you like that, go and listen the the last track on the album (the 20 minute long "Long Song No. 2")

-------------
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 00:10
Curved Air - Air Cut
Aphrodites Child - 666
Vangelis - Earth
Kayak - Kayak II
Refugee - s/t
Triumvirat - Illusions On a Double Dimple
Eloy - Power and The Passion
Kansas- s/t
Chicago - VII
Cherry Five - s/t

the ones in bold are my favourites

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:55

Nice chunk ... and in my book, just about anything from Roy Harper in that period is excellent, as is the FAMILY stuff, although by the end of that time period they were STREETWALKERS and the material was more rock'n'roll oriented, but it was magnificent with outstanding guitar work (the trademark of Family and all of their material and Chappo's solos).

Kevin has always been a favorite of mine, and it could be said that this particular period was really good in all of the albums, however, KA was just fine at any other time.

Pekka is someone I bought his stuff when I saw him play in Mike Oldfield's Exposed ... and his albums are very enjoyable to my ears ...

Of all the bands in those years, in my collection, there are/were many that did not get "accepted" and "appreciated" a whole lot ... and the HARVEST Breakfast Cereal box listing is a really good clue to some material that is very different, and yet stands out. (For what that is, check the Hipgnosis book! Could not find it in a net search!)

From that listing, you will also find things like Edgar Broughton Band, which started earlier, but their material within this time period is excellent, and not appreciated because it isn't considered "progressive" as it does not have .... hmmmmmm .... no layers of useless keyboards for frivolous solos! But other things stood out ... Capability Brown (both albums are great), East of Eden's early material is super nice ... sometimes a sort of Quicksilver in their early days, Lol Coxhill became very well known in the jazz circles though I can not say I have a whole lot of his stuff, Principal Edwards was a very different something else, although it appears to have been there from the earlier days ... and later, HARVEST spread into Europe, and brought out Kayak, Triumvirat, Eloy and quite a few other bands, including some not always mentioned, like Tanned Leather and Cherubin (Germany) ... and these were all unusual, and progressive in their own way, in the sense that they were not "popular" or played by anyone else ... EXCEPT Guy Guden in his Space Pirate Radio show. You were not going to miss OORA, or BANDAGES ... or VOICE!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 09:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Yep I second that Carmen rec. Both Fandangos In Space and Dancing On A Cold Wind are brilliant.

the 3rd album is also really nice, although it is slightly different, and has more of a JT feel to it ... no surprise, right after it the bass player left for JT and the band was over ... story goes that Tony V dropped the band after they upstaged two big names on one of the Friday Night TV shows. End of Carmen ... weird bit here ... they were a band from LA ... and you would never guess that.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 22:18
Agreed about Frumpy! Heard em a couple years ago and surprised they aren't more well known!

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 22:20
Horslips sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion! I only listened to Tain, which seemed best regarded on the site. What's your suggestion for their best?

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 23:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Nice chunk ... and in my book, just about anything from Roy Harper in that period is excellent, as is the FAMILY stuff, although by the end of that time period they were STREETWALKERS and the material was more rock'n'roll oriented, but it was magnificent with outstanding guitar work (the trademark of Family and all of their material and Chappo's solos).

Kevin has always been a favorite of mine, and it could be said that this particular period was really good in all of the albums, however, KA was just fine at any other time.

Pekka is someone I bought his stuff when I saw him play in Mike Oldfield's Exposed ... and his albums are very enjoyable to my ears ...

Not yet listened any Streetwalkers-albums, although knowing about them. Have to this weekend! Kevin´s albums from Toy to Confessions are my big favorites (also every Roy album I have managed to hear, he´s later output is not in spotify or youtube), but one to start might be Confession or Toy. Just watched Pekka playing in that Exposed DVD! Pekka has been my idol from the eighties, I am glad I saw him three times in the nineties!

Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by pawnofthedaed pawnofthedaed wrote:

Horslips sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion! I only listened to Tain, which seemed best regarded on the site. What's your suggestion for their best?

OK, here are my Horslips album ratings. But the best way to appreciate them is to chronologically listen to all of their albums
1972: Happy To Meet, Sorry to Part (Prog) 4 stars
1973: The Táin (Prog) 5 stars
1974: Dancehall Sweethearts (Not Prog; Pop Rock) 4.5 stars
1975: The Unfortunate Cup Of Tea (Progish) 2.5 stars
1975: Drive The Cold Winter Away (Pure Folk Xmas album) 4.5 stars
1976: Live (A Must Have) 5 stars
1976: Book Of Invasions (Prog) 5 stars
1977: Aliens (Rock; with hints of Prog) 4 stars
1978: The Man Who Built America (New Wave Rock) 4 stars
1979: Short Stories/ Tall Tales (New Wave Rock) 3 stars
1980: The Belfast Gigs (All of the Above) 3 stars
2004: Roll Back (Acoustic reinterpretations of old tracks) 4 stars

There are a few "Best Of" Releases"...the latest one released in 2010s is probably the best.

As you can see; I am a Horslips appreciator!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk