Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122006
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 02:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tubular Bells vs Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Tubular Bells vs Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:18
I'm not sure if I have ever done this one before but I don't think so so here it goes.

Replies:
Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:33
Up with the Lark's!
More variety with that than Oldfield's album. First few minutes of it are OK, but I do wander from it.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:47
Larks, if it was Ommadawn it would be a diff story

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 09:15
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I actually never heard that one. I chose these two in part because they are both from 1973.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 09:25
I am a big fan of Tubular Bells (Oldfieldīs best), but itīs still Larks. KC is just so much greater to me. Not matter whatever Oldfield album there will be against any KC seventies album (if for example Tubular Bells vs Discipline itīs Tubular then).

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 10:20
No Brainer for me...LTIA all the way.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 11:25
Larks for sure.............and I have never understood all the likes for Oldfield. 

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 11:25
Tubular Bells easily, very easily indeed...

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 12:01
KC

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 12:36
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Same here, 2 and 3 on my all time list.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 13:03
Tubular Bells for me.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 13:09
yeah definitely Oldfield, and that's nowhere near his best

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 14:30
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Wow, you must not be much of a King Crimson fan. Lol.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 15:26
Tubular Bells, iconic album! Larks' is good, but I rate a good number of Crimson albums higher.

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 15:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Tubular Bells, iconic album! Larks' is good, but I rate a good number of Crimson albums higher.

Not me. It's my absolute favorite. However, for a while I just thought it was whacked out and I didn't get it. That is until I realized it being so crazy is what made it so special. No other KC album like that.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 16:15
The bells . . . the bells!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 18:07
LTIA. The first movement of Tubular Bells is great, but it peters out pretty quickly thereafter.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 22:02
Voted for Larks'. I agree with Doug that if it had been Ommadawn would have been different... closer but still would have voted for Larks'. That's just a great album. I do like Ommadawn a lot though.

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Not me. It's my absolute favorite. However, for a while I just thought it was whacked out and I didn't get it. That is until I realized it being so crazy is what made it so special. No other KC album like that.
Larks is not my favorite, but really high (I think only Court, Red & Lizard are ahead of it, Wake also quite the same level). Anyway together with Starless & Bible it has one of the quietest & loudest KC in same album and thatīs really great! And I really loved that album at the moment I heard it first time, as also other KC seventies albums! But itīs little bit funny I didnīt get into KC same time when I get into prog, I just heard then "Epitaph" & "the Court Of the Crimson King"-songs and they sounded me too pathetic. But some years after that I heard "In the Court"-album as whole and so started my KC-love!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 01:41
Interesting juxtaposition! LTIA is probably my fave KC record and era, so no brainer.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 03:02
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Absolutely!

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 05:40
Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LTIA. The first movement of Tubular Bells is great, but it peters out pretty quickly thereafter.

That's how I feel about 'Thick as a Brick'

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 11:22
Tubular

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 11:39
I really like Tubular Bells, but Larks takes my vote.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 15:23
Larks

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 00:44
the bells .. the bells

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 00:48

the second part is a bit disjointed compared to the first part which flows much better. However to Oldfields credit it is completely different and does have some beautiful moments. Maybe it would have been better to have left in the version of Sailor's Hornpipe with Viv Stanshall that's on 'Boxed' although I think it was not Oldfield's decision.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:34
love both 

but

Oldfield

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

the second part is a bit disjointed compared to the first part which flows much better. However to Oldfields credit it is completely different and does have some beautiful moments. Maybe it would have been better to have left in the version of Sailor's Hornpipe with Viv Stanshall that's on 'Boxed' although I think it was not Oldfield's decision.
Maybe the reason is, if I remember right, that Oldfield originally composed & made demo just the first part. I also think the first part is better, but like really much also the second.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:48
LTIA.

TB is a 'clever' album, but it's not the best from Oldfield IMO, and I've heard it enough.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:31

Actually, I do love just about half of the second side... it's got some moments that even surpass the first side... yet, once it gets to The Caveman I just can't enjoy it as much anymore. Too bad the music is working on a seemingly magnificent build-up... just to end up doing The Caveman.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 15:18
Love both equally, but for very different reasons. Complete an utter dead heat for me.

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 16:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Wow, you must not be much of a King Crimson fan. Lol.

no, lots of respect but to me it ITCOCK is incredible, top 20 all time album for me and nothing else comes close.  I do enjoy lots of the next 3 albums and a couple of mellower tracks on Larks.  But I'm a big Oldfield fan.

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 16:09
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Actually, I do love just about half of the second side... it's got some moments that even surpass the first side... yet, once it gets to The Caveman I just can't enjoy it as much anymore. Too bad the music is working on a seemingly magnificent build-up... just to end up doing The Caveman.

yes, the guitars sounding like bagpipes is wonderful
There is a live version of TB 2 on "Exposed" that includes perhaps Oldfield's best extended lead solo just before Sailor's Hornpipe.  It's brilliant and obviously nothing like the more ambient (and quite delightful) section on the studio version

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 21:49
Can't vote, never heard Tubular Bells 😂😂

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: January 20 2020 at 22:05

I just love "shokopoonwahffftoughkonomo!!!"

Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 00:19

There is a live version of TB 2 on "Exposed" that includes perhaps Oldfield's best extended lead solo just before Sailor's Hornpipe.  It's brilliant and obviously nothing like the more ambient (and quite delightful) section on the studio version

Yep that Exposed version is superb especially with Pierre Moerlen's fluid percussion/ drumming work adding so much.

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 14:13

Yep that Exposed version is superb especially with Pierre Moerlen's fluid percussion/ drumming work adding so much.

I guess I need to get some more live Oldfield. As far as I understand, he liked to change things a good bit on his live shows.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 14:15
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Absolutely!
No contest! Tubular Bells by a country mile. Smile

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 23:52
Tubular Bells is an iconic release

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 02:55
I'm amazed to see Larks' Tongues in Aspic has twice as many votes as Tubular Bells. Shocked

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 04:36
^Itīs not amazing at all. Larks has been always big here, Tubular never.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 02:25
Also Ommadawn is more popular (rightfully imo) followed by Amarok. I remember doing a list of my favourite MO albums and Tubular Bells just scraped into the top ten!

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 03:40
uh... which version of "Tubular Bells"?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 03:53
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I'm assuming it's the original version in 1973. Smile

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:35
TB is way cool, but c'mon... This is Larks we're talking about here.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:20

yes there must be a dozen if you include live
I'm partial to the original but also love TB 3 which is far from a rehash.  It's more of a world music album, which I like

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 22:07

yes there must be a dozen if you include live
I'm partial to the original but also love TB 3 which is far from a rehash.  It's more of a world music album, which I like
I donīt like TB 3 at all. I think after the original best version is that Orchestral TB from the seventies (havenīt yet heard Exposed, I think I will listen it first thing this morning also for the reason there is Pohjola in bass). TB 2 is ok, TB 2003 is quite indifferent, when itīs almost the same as the original. There is also "Tubular Beats" that I just donīt want to listen. All the way I think "Return to Ommadawn" much more interesting than those other TB:s, just because itīs only influenced by the original Omma.

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 02:54
I really enjoyed both Tubular Bells II and Tubular Bells III, especially when they were played Live. Smile

Tubular Bell II - Live from Edinburgh Castle 1992

Tubular Bells III - Live from Horse Guards Parade, London 1998

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 03:12
Side one of Tubular Bells is the greatest piece of popular instrumental music in the last 60 years. It just doesn't reach the same heights on side two. Six Wives of Henry VIII would have made a better comparison and I would have given it to the Wakeman because it's the more complete album. However the Oldfield is a piece of inspirational genius. Larks is different again. Still my favourite King Crimson album.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 04:48
I thought about voting for both but I guess Larks is the better album over all. I do love the Oldfield debut to bits. I used to do Kung Fu/Tai Chi movements to it on a daily basis. Made me strong and limber like a boa.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:14
Aspic 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk