URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122025
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 11:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog fan's in your 20s
Posted By: hugo1995
Subject: Prog fan's in your 20s
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 13:38
There are literally dozens of us!

First prog song: Dark side of the moon, blew my mind but I can't really listen to it anymore

First major prog song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcxw0UFyxi0" rel="nofollow - trilogy by ELP. I absolutely loved keyboard solos, so I loved keyboard solos in songs like https://youtu.be/V9Yq5m9eLIQ?t=263" rel="nofollow - this . I had recently heard Dark Side and decided to try find more music like Any Colour You Like. Found ELP - From the beginning, it was alright so decided to listen to the albums main song Trilogy. Revolutionized my music taste more than any other track. Insane chaotic synth solo that I'd never heard before. never heard 'transitions' in music, which I later learnt was called prog.

I really smashed ELP after this for the next 2 years. Found Canterbury scene, fusion, classical jazz, classical music etc after discovering prog. My favorite track atm is currently Mumps by Hatfield, or Visit to Newport Hospital by Egg.

It's worth noting that I discovered prog in 2013 and have been on a prog bender ever since. My dad was born in '63 but hates prog and general w**kiness, he was in a somewhat popular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyphWbOZJK8" rel="nofollow - NZ Punk band in the late 70s early 80s. Not really popular, wouldn't expect anyone to know them but people occasionally do. Lately my Dad has been listening to some of my records and he is beginning to like Prog, but typically only modern stuff. Hates the hippy stuff, which in my opinion is my favorite era (1969-73) :(. He really just grew up in a time where Prog is not popular, as did I.

-------------
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:01
60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

-------------
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:47
There aren't many young ones I know offline....in fact I only know several beside myself that are into prog rock and we are all well over 50...myself and my best friend being 68 years young.
:)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

There aren't many young ones I know offline....in fact I only know several beside myself that are into prog rock and we are all well over 50...myself and my best friend being 68 years young.
:)

Count yourself lucky, I've never met a prog fan in person full stop. It just never reached New Zealand. All the people like my parents and people my parents age were not even 10 when the Prog era was almost over in 1972 or so. I'd love to meet any prog fan of any age to discuss music, hopefully one day I find one!

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 17:08
My dauther, who is 26 now, likes some prog, but she doen't really listen to it, except whe she is with me. I never heard her say "I don't like this or that" but she's not really a prog fan per say. 

Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 19:27
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Do you know why I arranged these age groups in this order?

Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

My dauther, who is 26 now, likes some prog, but she doen't really listen to it, except whe she is with me. I never heard her say "I don't like this or that" but she's not really a prog fan per say. 

No offense but probably not much of a music fan either(in general). A lot of people just aren't really that much into music and that's ok. 

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 21:15
Almost there, turn 19 in March

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 21:43
I have found that any serious young musician in their 20's or younger can appreciate good prog---cant tell you how many young musicians have their mind blown when they hear CTTE or Suppers Ready for the first time--they may not love --love it but they know they are hearing something important and unique.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: January 21 2020 at 22:17
I'm 27 and I've been listening to prog since I was about 12 or so... around the same time I started learning how to play bass and guitar. Couldn't fathom why the other kids in my music class were so interested in playing Green Day songs (American Idiot was just released) when Rush songs were way more interesting to play. Never had too much difficulty finding people my age who enjoy prog to some extent, but then again, I hang out with a lot of musicians.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:14
I turned 32 yesterday; I've been seriously into prog since about age 19 or 20 (2007/2008ish)!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:39

No offense but probably not much of a music fan either(in general). A lot of people just aren't really that much into music and that's ok. 
Actually, she loves music, specially opera and music with great vocals, like Broadway musicals. I think the long instrumental parts in prog is not her cup of tea, and though she doesn't dislike it, is certainly not her favorite thing. 

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:29

Actually, she loves music, especially opera and music with great vocals, like Broadway musicals. I think the long instrumental parts in prog is not her cup of tea, and though she doesn't dislike it, is certainly not her favorite thing. 

I think most people get bored with the long instrumental parts unless it's by Pink Floyd or Rush. For the most part it's something that doesn't appeal to most people(even most "real" music fans). Us prog fans seem to be outliers among music fans. But there are other reasons too such as bands who sing in foreign languages, unusual or intellectual lyrics, singers with high voices, complexity(time changes) and just sounds(including instrumentation) that you don't typically hear in normal rock. I made that comment though because a lot of p eople just aren't hardcore music fans. They are casual listeners who maybe just mostly listen to the radio and just aren't really that into it. I would say maybe 20 to 30 percent of adults are music people and the rest are just casual at best.

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 10:04

Actually, she loves music, especially opera and music with great vocals, like Broadway musicals. I think the long instrumental parts in prog is not her cup of tea, and though she doesn't dislike it, is certainly not her favorite thing. 

I think most people get bored with the long instrumental parts unless it's by Pink Floyd or Rush. For the most part it's something that doesn't appeal to most people(even most "real" music fans). Us prog fans seem to be outliers among music fans. But there are other reasons too such as bands who sing in foreign languages, unusual or intellectual lyrics, singers with high voices, complexity(time changes) and just sounds(including instrumentation) that you don't typically hear in normal rock. I made that comment though because a lot of p eople just aren't hardcore music fans. They are casual listeners who maybe just mostly listen to the radio and just aren't really that into it. I would say maybe 20 to 30 percent of adults are music people and the rest are just casual at best.
Yes, you make a good point indeed. It seems that most people prefer a short piece of music, mostly with a good dance beat and a catchy tune. Prog, likes jazz, classical, etc, is music to listen to. Of course you can dance to anything if you want to, but in general, you won't get people dancing to a long piece from yes, King Crimson, etc. 

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:35
Could you really dance round your handbag to...
"Gates of delirium", "Awaken" or "Ghost of perdition"? I would love to see that...😁

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:00

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Could you really dance round your handbag to...
"Gates of delirium", "Awaken" or "Ghost of perdition"? I would love to see that...😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDBykpSXsSE" rel="nofollow - LINGERING DEEEEEEEEEEEATHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Saw them live, can confirm you can dance well to this prog.

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:07
I wonder if you can dance to Dead Can Dance. Smile

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Only if you're dead obviously Wink

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:27
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Only if you're dead obviously Wink
In that case, I guess you could do the zombie stomp to Dead Can Dance. Smile

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 16:26

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

I'll take that as a no. It's in descending order. The ones at the top have the most fans and the ones at the bottom have the least(based on my observations of being a prog fan for over 30 years although this is how it currrently seems to sit). 

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 19:18
Very well said indeed.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 21:35
I was teaching high school biology this year, and some of the students asked me "Who is your favorite band?"  I said "Yes," because that is the simplest & most accurate response. 

Within a few minutes, one of the lads had pulled up a YouTube video of "Close to the Edge" on his cell phone, and they dug it!  Very impressive for 16 year old kids! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 22:42

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

I'll take that as a no. It's in descending order. The ones at the top have the most fans and the ones at the bottom have the least(based on my observations of being a prog fan for over 30 years although this is how it currrently seems to sit). 

At 60 years of age, it's good to know I'm at the top of the list for the appreciation of prog, although I'm surprised to see teens are only halfway down your list and not right at the bottom of the list. Smile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 22:47
Am I the only one bothered by the grammar mistake in the thread title? LOL
Seems so...

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 01:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Am I the only one bothered by the grammar mistake in the thread title? LOL
Seems so...
I hadn't noticed the apostrophe was in the wrong place until you mentioned it but it's not a catastrophe. Smile

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:04
I'm sh*t at english, but no apostophe at all surely? Suppose i'm feckin wromg...my english teacher would be pissing her knickers if she saw this...

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:33
When I saw ARW play in Dayton there were some youngsters screaming "We love Jon!!!."

There is hope!!!

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:56

I'm sh*t at english, but no apostophe at all surely? Suppose i'm feckin wromg...my english teacher would be pissing her knickers if she saw this...
When I said the apostrophe is in the wrong place, I meant it should be in "20's" and not in "fan's" Wink

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 13:32

When I said the apostrophe is in the wrong place, I meant it should be in "20's" and not in "fan's" Wink

Ah, yeah, told you I was sh*t at english...😂

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 14:31

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

Interesting. Do 50's people enjoy prog. My mum and dad are 50 and them and all their friends like old punk, new wave, radiohead smashing pumpkins, that type of stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:33

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

At 60 years of age, it's good to know I'm at the top of the list for the appreciation of prog, although I'm surprised to see teens are only halfway down your list and not right at the bottom of the list. Smile

Well, it's because younger people tend to be more internet savy and because of that are more easily able to discover new music(new to them anyway). I could be a little off on that and they might be a little lower but for now I stand by it. Plus they have parents and even grandparents who might have been into prog. 

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:36
Interesting. Do 50's people enjoy prog. My mum and dad are 50 and them and all their friends like old punk, new wave, radiohead smashing pumpkins, that type of stuff.

In my opinion yes and definitely more than the other age groups(except for maybe sixties). Have you seen the prog fans in their 50's thread on here? It's very active. The 20's age group might be catching up though but this thread so far hasn't convinced me otherwise(since a lot of different ages are contributing here). But yeah a lot in that age group are into alternative, metal, classic rock and other stuff too. My brother is 52 now(53 in June)and I'm more into prog than he is(I'll be 50 in about three months). He's mostly into alternative especially the red hot chillipeppers. He is responsible for getting me into REM and some of those other kinds of bands and I took him to see U2 for his fiftieth birthday. I got into prog mostly on my own(although my cousin was a factor as was my dad's copy of the Yes album and a guitar book that mentioned Robert Fripp).

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 18:14

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

Well, it's because younger people tend to be more internet savy and because of that are more easily able to discover new music(new to them anyway). I could be a little off on that and they might be a little lower but for now I stand by it. Plus they have parents and even grandparents who might have been into prog. 

Not a bad assumption to be honest. I found Progressive Rock out completely by my own accord after wanting to hear more groovy synthesizer stuff. 

It's kinda weird, as a kid I hated all forms of rock except blink 182 and Linkin Park and I listened to lots of rap and hip hop because of my brothers. I discovered prog in 2013 and got more into musical theory in 2014 and started taking my organ/piano lessons seriously. 

These days I denounced genres that are harmonically simple, like most pop/rap/hiphop/EDM. I just don't like it. You won't catch me playing my organ without it plugged through Wah, Chorus and Fuzz. Thanks Emerson, Stewart and Ratledge.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 18:34
I would call them observations more than assumptions. I haven't collected and gathered "scientific" data on the subject(not yet anyway)but my conclusions(and theories)are based on my many years of participating on online prog forums(such as this one)as well as online prog research in general as well as attending many prog festivals and concerts over the years. I put my age group towards the bottom because at almost all the prog concerts and festivals I have been to there were relatively few my age or around my age. Most were either a bit older or a bit younger. The most extreme example was Ozric Tentacles where most everyone was either 55 and over or in their early to mid twenties. It was almost as if a bunch of older guys brought their kids then separated once they got there. LOL

Posted By: BunBun
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 22:46
Well, it has been a while since I have posted on this site, but I am a 25 year old female and I am a huge prog fan. I have been really big into prog for probably the last 6 years or so. I love to collect vinyl and I have been slowly amassing my favorites. Phil Collins and Genesis were my gateway into the wonderful, weird world of prog and I have been a huge fan ever since. I honestly never heard of prog before until I read on wikipedia that Genesis were considered a progresssive rock band, so I told myself I needed to find out what this "progressive rock" was.

Now, that I have a vague notion on what this genre of music is because lets be honest, people are always arguing over what is and what isn't progressive rock. I especially love the symphonic side of prog but I have since gotten into the RPI genre, some zheul, some avant, some jazz fusion, neo, etc. Now my tastes are pretty eclectic.

So yes, there are definitely younger people who are into prog, however, I have to admit I haven't met many people my age who are such huge prog fans as I am. Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock.

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 23:15
Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock

Well, for the younger people anyway. I'm sure most people over 40 have at least heard of Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull and if they are big music fans in general then probably King Crimson also.

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 23:21
Yea, I definitely should of mentioned that I was referring to the younger crowd when I made that statement.

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 00:26

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

It seems ironic that people in their 70's are right at the bottom of your list for the appreciation of prog when many prog musicians from the classic 1970's era are in their 70's now. Smile

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 01:53

It seems ironic that people in their 70's are right at the bottom of your list for the appreciation of prog when many prog musicians from the classic 1970's era are in their 70's now. Smile

People tend to get into music during their teens, whereas the musicians they are getting into tend to be about ten years older.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 17:59
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Yea, I definitely should of mentioned that I was referring to the younger crowd when I made that statement.

Yep. Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I'm not(and I'm sure you're not either) referring to younger prog fans though. If the younger folks get into prog and within a few weeks they don't know about Yes, KC, Genesis, ELP, etc then they aren't paying attention or just focusing on prog metal etc. In the past(say past ten to 12 years or so)whenever I have seen a younger person in public and talked to them about their Yes t shirt it almost always turned out that they found out about them through their parents. I think many younger folks who have heard of Yes probably just think of them as "just another classic rock band" and the same thing with Genesis. Their loss. Wink  

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 18:04
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

People tend to get into music during their teens, whereas the musicians they are getting into tend to be about ten years older.

Exactly. Those in their 70's typically got into music from the fifties or sixties. Since prog was not on most people's radar in the 80's or 90's most people who were teens in those decades(30's and 40's now)did not get exposed to prog which is why they are towards the bottom of my list. Not that there aren't any of course but I would guess most of them that are into it now kind of discovered it online much later and and had an aha moment("oh Rush are prog?" "Oh Dream theater are considered prog rock? I better check out this thing called prog rock."). That kind of thing. Typically there has to be some kind of "bridge" that takes someone from casual fan to knowing what prog is then to becoming a fan. I guess you can think of it as a two steop or three step process(depending on where and how they start). Those who already are fans of Yes, PF etc growing up have a headstart but they still need to dig deeper to be prog fans. These days the term "prog" is pretty ubiquitous in music circles it seems so it's probably the easiest it's been to discover prog since the seventies.

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:43

Well, it has been a while since I have posted on this site, but I am a 25 year old female and I am a huge prog fan. I have been really big into prog for probably the last 6 years or so. I love to collect vinyl and I have been slowly amassing my favorites. Phil Collins and Genesis were my gateway into the wonderful, weird world of prog and I have been a huge fan ever since. I honestly never heard of prog before until I read on wikipedia that Genesis were considered a progresssive rock band, so I told myself I needed to find out what this "progressive rock" was.

Now, that I have a vague notion on what this genre of music is because lets be honest, people are always arguing over what is and what isn't progressive rock. I especially love the symphonic side of prog but I have since gotten into the RPI genre, some zheul, some avant, some jazz fusion, neo, etc. Now my tastes are pretty eclectic.

So yes, there are definitely younger people who are into prog, however, I have to admit I haven't met many people my age who are such huge prog fans as I am. Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock.

Honestly, you summed it up perfectly. I also never had heard of Prog before, but I loved the music and wanted more. And just like you I travelled into the weird side worlds of prog and found even more new music.

I haven't met any prog fans aside from prog death metal fans at Opeth, and the guy at my local music shop likes modern prog like Plini, King Gizzard etc. I haven't really heard these bands yet. It's taken me years to get through all of the classic prog acts and their spin offs.

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:44

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Being 70 != being able to search the internet for an obscure forum about obscure music. 

Maybe :P. Most people 70+ aren't so good at the internet.

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 16:03
This isn't really about not being good with the internet although it could be to some extent. It's more about who is the most likely to discover prog or know about it. The internet could be a factor. Maybe it was my imagination but did I detect a bit of programming syntax in your response there? ;)

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 04:13
Prog fans in your 60s
Prog fans in your 70s
Prog fans in your 20s
Prog fans in your 50s

Me: Prog fan in her 30s Cry

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:17

I haven't met any prog fans aside from prog death metal fans at Opeth, and the guy at my local music shop likes modern prog like Plini, King Gizzard etc. I haven't really heard these bands yet. It's taken me years to get through all of the classic prog acts and their spin offs.

I would suggest, as an old foggie, that music appreciation, has nothing to do with tastes and what you like and don't like ... listen to or don't listen to. If you love music, ALL of its aspects will color your imagination, however, in this day and age, the whole thing is so commercial that finding someone that doesn't care about this or that ... is not a surprise ... but one could state that their ability to enjoy and listen to music is very limited, and might die away completely as they get older ... not like many of us, that went out got the albums, and still collect the music ... and I have no problems listening to new stuff whatsoever ... which makes me want to comment ... that it's not "music" that many folks are really listening to!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 14:05
I'm curious as to how prog fans in their 20's listen to music. I doubt it's on cd so is it mostly vinyl, streaming or downloads?

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 19:35

I'm curious as to how prog fans in their 20's listen to music. I doubt it's on cd so is it mostly vinyl, streaming or downloads?

When I was a teen, CDs were still in, so I certainly got in the habit of buying them. I remember I could go somewhere like Best Buy and they'd have CDs from mainstream prog bands - Rush, Yes, ELP, Dream Theater, etc. I remember iTunes coming out when I was in my early teens, but I always thought the idea of buying a single song was kind of dumb... If I liked one song from a band, why wouldn't I get the whole album to find more songs that I liked? I could buy the full album from iTunes, sure, but it costed about as much as the CD, so what was the point? Then again, I'm 27, so people in their early 20s may have had access to streaming earlier in their life.

I still prefer buying CDs, but these days it's harder to find a store that sells them, let alone the stuff I want to listen to. Getting them shipped from online can get rather expensive.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 05:37

If my neighbor is an example, then I would say, he does not listen to music ... he just plays the songs he likes, and I'm not sure that "music" has anything to do with anything at all. 

And he does this via his friends, and the suggestions he gets from Google or somewhere else in his smartphone ... but for you and I ... the thought that Google, or Microsoft, or Apple can decide what you should listen to?

That's when I want to throw up! Ad Nauseum!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 07:01

I know vinyl is trendy amongst some 20 year olds (and has been for a while since I noticed students snapping up some of my old vinyl at a jumble sale) but my 2 sons listen to music, go to gigs etc but don't own a single CD between them (not counting the Bob The Builder single that I bought for them about 20 years ago).

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:30
I'm 25 and have been a prog fanatic since I was 18. Much like BunBun, my gateway into it was listening to my dad's classic rock collection which naturally contained a lot of Rush and Pink Floyd, and upon reading on Wikipedia that these apparently belonged to a genre called "progressive rock" I decided to immerse myself into it as much as possible. Nowadays I don't really listen to either of those bands anymore and while I still very much love a lot of the more "mainstream" symphonic groups such as Genesis, Yes and ELP, I'm usually not too interested in new music that tries to emulate that style. Most of the prog I currently seek out tends to gravitate towards the more harmonically and structurally complex regions of the Canterbury and RIO scenes, often verging against jazz and modern classical.

I've been happily collecting CDs for eight years now but I've never had any interest in vinyl because I think it's too expensive and too impractical in terms of space and durability.

Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:40
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm 25 and have been a prog fanatic since I was 18. Much like BunBun, my gateway into it was listening to my dad's classic rock collection which naturally contained a lot of Rush and Pink Floyd, and upon reading on Wikipedia that these apparently belonged to a genre called "progressive rock" I decided to immerse myself into it as much as possible. Nowadays I don't really listen to either of those bands anymore and while I still very much love a lot of the more "mainstream" symphonic groups such as Genesis, Yes and ELP, I'm usually not too interested in new music that tries to emulate that style. Most of the prog I currently seek out tends to gravitate towards the more harmonically and structurally complex regions of the Canterbury and RIO scenes, often verging against jazz and modern classical.

I've been happily collecting CDs for eight years now but I've never had any interest in vinyl because I think it's too expensive and too impractical in terms of space and durability.
That's the same reason I no longer collect vinyl too, besides which, there's no need to flip a CD over halfway through the album. Smile

Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 14:04

I can answer this from my own personal experience! YouTube (and probably Spotify, but I don't use Spotify) is excellent at recommending music. I'd always play games and let music play in the background and it would autoplay into recommended songs. I LOVED keyboard solos and would listen to songs with them, and it eventually took me to prog.

I have a vinyl collection worth quite a bit, I bought all the prog classics and then some rare LP's like Egg, Flower Kings Stardust we Are (which seriously was about $120 because it's out of print).

I don't really listen to vinyl so much though, I just love the collection. YouTube is my go to and I discover music through that platform.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 11:21
I'm 25 and started listening to Prog through Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Yes in 2011. I only discovered the term thanks to this site the following year though. My parents grew up in the 80s and Prog wasn't that much popular here back in the day so I had to find it on my own. I started from my interest in recent Rock and moved backwards in time until I found out 70s Rock was the stuff I liked the most.
About album collections, mine is about 60% CD and 40% vinyl. For 70s Prog I prefer vinyl or early CD releases because I like to listen to them exactly how they sounded back then. For recent albums it's mostly CD, most don't sound that better on LP to justify the cost.

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 12:23
Also, and I could be wrong(and hope I am)but it seems like most younger fans(20's)either aren't into or don't know about the somewhat lesser known older prog bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Eloy, Triumvirat, Starcastle, Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade, PFM, Curved Air, Happy the Man, Grobschnitt, Banco, Earth and Fire, Ange, Finch, etc etc. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 13:21
Grammar police here.  

Don't use apostrophes for plurals, only possessives or contractions ("what is" becomes "what's")

Yes:  "Prog fans in your 20s" 

No:  "Prog fan's in your 20's"  

And so forth.  

Any further infractions and we shall take down this website.  

Best, Anonymous.  

Welcome.
You are now Anonymous, but you were already.
We are legion.
Do not forgive.
Do not forget.
We were expecting you.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 13:39

Also, and I could be wrong(and hope I am)but it seems like most younger fans(20's)either aren't into or don't know about the somewhat lesser known older prog bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Eloy, Triumvirat, Starcastle, Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade, PFM, Curved Air, Happy the Man, Grobschnitt, Banco, Earth and Fire, Ange, Finch, etc etc. 

I'm just about old enough to have heard of all of those bands., although I'm not sure about Ange. Smile

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 14:01

I have 11 of those bands in my collection. I'm particularly very fond of Eloy, PFM and Finch. I also saw Curved Air live five years ago.

Posted By: james_lagan
Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 16:57
I'm 16 and got into prog last year, with early Genesis as the gateway, then found Yes, ELP and some Italian bands. Definitely a minority and possibly the youngest prog head ever. Could someone to recommended some good modern bands because they seem underwhelming compared the 70s stuff?...

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by james_lagan james_lagan wrote:

I'm 16 and got into prog last year, with early Genesis as the gateway, then found Yes, ELP and some Italian bands. Definitely a minority and possibly the youngest prog head ever. Could someone to recommended some good modern bands because they seem underwhelming compared the 70s stuff?...

Two of my current favourite modern prog bands are Astra and Mostly Autumn, and also Blackmore's Night if you like a bit of proggy Folk. Smile

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 17:13

I'm just about old enough to have heard of all of those bands., although I'm not sure about Ange. Smile

I'm not overly familiar but Ange were a French band similar to early Genesis.

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 17:17

That sounds promising. I'd probably like Ange if they sound like early Genesis. Smile

Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 17:38

That sounds promising. I'd probably like Ange if they sound like early Genesis. Smile

That will depend on how you feel about vocals sung in French. ;)

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 05:02
Ange is fantastic. I don't speak French which adds to the experience for me. If you like Ange, check out Pulsar (my favorite French group). If you can't handle vocals, try Arachnoid.
BTW, I have two daughters, ages 17 and 15. About 4 years ago took them both to see their first concert, by an incredible local band called ProgNation. In addition to a few original tunes, the band played spot-on covers of King Crimson (21st Century Schizoid Man and Court of Crimson King, if you can believe it), Pete Gabriel, Moody Blues, Genesis, Yes, ELP and other classics. I figured if they didn't like the songs of one group they might like another. They liked ALL of it, and after the show met the band who were very kind to us. In fact, it was guitarist Chris Cudo's birthday and my kids got a piece of birthday cake!
Anyway, about a week later we were in the car and I was playing an ELP compilation I'd made. They loved Lucky Man, From The Beginning and Take A Pebble, but then Tarkus came on. I figured that might be a bit too much for them so after about 30 seconds I switched to the next song.
My oldest daughter yelled at me. "What are you doing? I loved that! Put it back on!"
Probaby the proudest moment I've had as a dad.
BTW, ProgNation (from Cleveland) have reformed as Cuda/Schief/Cuda playing all-original (and fantastic) music. As soon as a CD is recorded I'll try to get it on ProgArchives. They are really great. Opening for Nektar next week and for Brand X in April.
Long live prog!

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 09:57

Very often when progressive rock is mentioned on the internet or TV one will hear how the 1970s were the golden age and no new artists of note cropped up afterwards, so if anything it makes more sense to me that people who are new to the genre and want to explore its lesser known exponents would first gravitate towards bands from that era rather than bands who are currently active. Personally, I love Triumvirat, PFM and Happy The Man; I think Curved Air and Banco are okay; I don't really care about BJH, Eloy or Grobschnitt; I know of Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade and Earth & Fire but haven't heard anything by them.

Date Posted: February 02 2020 at 14:01

You're right that most modern bands aren't as good as the classics (that's my opinion, it's probably a bit of rose tinted lenses though).

This is my favorite album of all time and it came out in 2008, Swedish band making Symphonic Prog pretty much like Yes, but with Beach Boys styled 5 layer vocals.

This album is considered the best album of the decade (2010s). It came out in 2018 and it is an excellent homage to classical 70s prog.

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: February 04 2020 at 22:20
In my 20s, I like prog
Liked it when I was 15 too

Date Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:02

Honestly, you summed it up perfectly. I also never had heard of Prog before, but I loved the music and wanted more. And just like you I travelled into the weird side worlds of prog and found even more new music.

I know what you mean, I now listen to a good balance of new bands and music along with classics but it takes years to just get through some of the big classic bands but oh well, it's nice to know that there will always be new music to discover.

Date Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:09

Yep. Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I'm not(and I'm sure you're not either) referring to younger prog fans though. If the younger folks get into prog and within a few weeks they don't know about Yes, KC, Genesis, ELP, etc then they aren't paying attention or just focusing on prog metal etc. In the past(say past ten to 12 years or so)whenever I have seen a younger person in public and talked to them about their Yes t shirt it almost always turned out that they found out about them through their parents. I think many younger folks who have heard of Yes probably just think of them as "just another classic rock band" and the same thing with Genesis. Their loss. Wink  

Yea, if a person is a prog fan then they tend to be up on not only the classics but also some of the newer groups despite their age. Also, it most definitely is their loss if they think these groups are just like other classic rock groups. I know some people hate using the term prog rock or progressive rock, but I think it is good because then it can help people discover more music in the vein of yes and genesis or whatever because I wouldn't know even an eighth of the groups I now know if it wasn't for this site.

Date Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:15

Mostly through streaming whether it's spotify or youtube. I mostly buy my music on vinyl though, and sometimes the occasional CD. I do like boxset CDs like the Flower Kings Kingdom of Coulours or Blue Effects complete collection. It's a nice space saver on the shelf lol.

Date Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:22

Lol I see a pattern where I keep responding to your posts. Anyways, I am happy to say that I am into most of those groups. I'm a huge fan of Eloy, Triumvirat, Ange, PFM (my 3rd fav. group), Banco(own 8 of their best on vinyl including their newest release), Nektar. Just started listening to Greenslade about 2 weeks ago and now I'll need to hunt down their first LP. Happy the Man might be my fav. American prog group based on their first 2 LPs alone. Haven't heard of Grobschnitt and Earth and Fire, so now I'll need to listen to those at a certain point.

Anyways, I didn't start out with any of those bands as I'm sure most didn't but thanks to this site I have gladly gotten into them.

Posted By: Richey Edwards
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 10:08
I am 29 and have liked Prog since I was about 15.

Posted By: glaswegians
Date Posted: June 27 2020 at 23:17
I'm in my 20s too! Obsessed with Camel's early streak of albums. Great tension, release, and ear for melody all around.

I 'discovered' Rush through Guitar Hero and grew to like them from that. But I also went through a phase in my teens where I was obsessed with Deep Purple - Machine Head. Not sure if it counts as prog, but the loads of ideas packed into each song and the great musicianship pulled me in

-------------
- glaswegians

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:08
I'm a prog fan in my 20s! Although that may be the first time I've ever acknowledged that being 21 constitutes being in my 20s, lol.

Rush and early Queen were my gateway drugs into becoming a serious prog fan (not that early Queen and Rush aren't prog, just that they're shared by the umbrella of classic rock which is what got me into music). From there it was Yes, Floyd, and Dream Theater, and later on Genesis, King Crimson, PFM, Jethro Tull, ELP and on and on.

Anyway, hi! :)

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 02:59
I'm 22. My half birthday was two days ago. That is all.

Posted By: softandwet
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 04:47
I'm freshly 18 yo and discovered prog 2 years ago when I was 16. Needless to say that it became my favorite genre of all time. I started basically with ITCOTCK but soon got into more not so well-known styles such as RPI.

My love for prog was sealed when I heard SEBTP and CTTE for the first time (CCTE took me like 4 listens to get into but SEBTP was a one shot) and I continued with early Genesis, all the King Crimson discography, ELP etc, until I found VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR which was an absolute love at the first sight .

I don't own any spotify account, I download mp3 or flac and I collect vinyls.

On vinyl, I have bands such as :

ELP, GENESIS, YES, KING CRIMSON, MIKE OLDFIELD, OSANNA, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, WOBBLER, JETHRO TULL, MAGMA, PETER HAMMILL, ANGE and CAMEL.

On mp3 I've downloaded :

ELP, GENESIS, YES, KING CRIMSON, MIKE OLDFIELD, OSANNA, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, WOBBLER, JETHRO TULL, MAGMA, PETER HAMMILL, Ange, CAMEL, PHIDEAUX, RUSH, JORDSJO, IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA, PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI, BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO, AREA, GENTLE GIANT, HARMONIUM, MUSEO ROSENBACH, LOCANDA DELLE FATE, PLAT DU JOUR, RENAISSANCE, RIVK WAKEMAN, STEVE HACKETT and ANGLAGARD.

-------------
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 05:43
Almost there, 19

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 09:00
Well, there certainly seems to be more prog fans in their 20's than in their 30's or 40's. I just turned 50 and not many people my age are into prog because they weren't exposed to it growing up (they are mostly into metal and rap).

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 13:38

I'm 16 and got into prog last year... possibly the youngest prog head ever
I love this type of energy I was 14 when discovered UK and Floyd; a year later Genesis and Crimson were my go-to bands; at the age of 16 I heard Script for a Jester's Tear and it's still my favourite album ever some 17 years later.

Early 2000s though were not the best time to be a teenage prog fan - it was more common to be one back in the 70s or even 80s, and it's understandable now, with /mu/-culture and prog memes on Instagram. Back then though, especially in that industrial part of Ukraine...yeah, I still don't understand how that happened

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 14:15
sounds like a support group thread here doesn't it...  too scared to look at the pages of this.. easy answer and good advice from Dr. Big MIck.. 

ditch the prog.. and the women will come.  Prog is for old farts who are already married for years and years and ain't getting any anymore Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 15:24
Here's a question, Are any of you older folks fans of newer genres of music, particularly Hip Hop (even if it isn't really new). I'm curious if anyone here listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West or Childish Gambino etc.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:11
older??? hmmm  wonder if I am that...  while I'm borderline old.... I once had one HELL of a weekend (think Angel Heart kind of sh*t man.. wow) with a Voodoo priestess while living down New Orleans way and was told I was a very old soul soon to finaly leave the earth... and while i often feel 80.. however I do have the mentality of a 14 year old so .. yeah man.. it balances out so i guess I am oldish

Like most anyone I tend to listen to what I like but have worked for many years usually with kids half my age.. usually supervising them at work and once they found out I was really into music they'd turn me on to stuff they liked.. and I'd do the same with stuff I liked. A nice give and take..  they rather liked my open-mindedness. 

My tastes obviously are much more inclined to modern progressive rock.. ie.. not modern prog rock.. but have never equated my tastes to being statements on quality. I've enjoyed much of what I have heard outside of modern progressive music.  I'd never sit at home and listen to things like Hip Hop.. but it was fun to occasionally listen to at work with coworkers  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sounds like a support group thread here doesn't it...  too scared to look at the pages of this.. easy answer and good advice from Dr. Big MIck.. 

ditch the prog.. and the women will come.  Prog is for old farts who are already married for years and years and ain't getting any anymore Beer

Not sure where people get these ideas from. Women want a guy who's not a wuss and not afraid to talk to them. They don't care what kind of music you listen to.

Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Here's a question, Are any of you older folks fans of newer genres of music, particularly Hip Hop (even if it isn't really new). I'm curious if anyone here listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West or Childish Gambino etc.

Not me. I like some old school rap though but not so much the newer stuff. I do like "newer" kinds of music though such as indie and some pop stuff. I also like alternative but that's hardly new anymore.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk