Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122028
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 02:14
I've left an empty slot for any female Prog-Rock singer I might have missed.
It's anybody's guess who's going to win this poll.  Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 02:30
As a singer I think Björk is the best; when it comes to the work as a whole the price would go to Kate Bush, and special honours will always go to Annie.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 02:55
There are some good ones here!
Haslam? Wonderful
Turunen? Great
den Adel? Magnificent
van Giersbergen? Breathtaking
Christina Booth? Fabulous
Joanne Hogg? Enchanting

But two of the rest pip all these wonderful singers, and both sang with the same band. Olivia Sparnenn has a truly wonderful voice and is a fantastic replacement in the band, but I'm going to vote for her predecessor, Heather Findlay, who has a voice the angels would die for (if they could). Evergreen is the greatest piece of female singing I've ever heard.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:04
I'm pleased you included Anneke van Giersbergen from The Gathering, so pleased I voted for her. A close second would be Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn I have a live CD and her voice is magnificent. I really adore females in prog - rock it can give it that extra something, I'd like to see a lot more of it. Tongue 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:10
You should have added the wonderous Susanne Sundfor ( http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7784" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7784 )

If you've never heard her, you should!

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:40
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

There are some good ones here!
Haslam? Wonderful
Turunen? Great
den Adel? Magnificent
van Giersbergen? Breathtaking
Christina Booth? Fabulous
Joanne Hogg? Enchanting

But two of the rest pip all these wonderful singers, and both sang with the same band. Olivia Sparnenn has a truly wonderful voice and is a fantastic replacement in the band, but I'm going to vote for her predecessor, Heather Findlay, who has a voice the angels would die for (if they could). Evergreen is the greatest piece of female singing I've ever heard.

I only added Olivia Sparnenn as an afterthought to be honest, because I only heard of her for the first time today when I was putting the poll together, even though I'm a fan of Mostly Autumn. I totally agree with what you said about Heather Findlay's gorgeous angelic vocals, although I couldn't resist voting for Annie Haslam, because she's always been one of my favourite female singers, ever since hearing the  "Prologue" album for the first time in the early 1970's. Renaissance were one of the first prog bands I was really into in the early 1970's, alongside Camel and Barclay James Harvest. Smile

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:43
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I'm pleased you included Anneke van Giersbergen from The Gathering, so pleased I voted for her. A close second would be Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn I have a live CD and her voice is magnificent. I really adore females in prog - rock it can give it that extra something, I'd like to see a lot more of it. Tongue 
It's thanks to Google that I included Anneke van Giersbergen, because I hadn't heard of her before today. Smile

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:48
I voted for Catherine Ribeiro. I figure I’ll be the sole vote
Lots of other fine women in this thread. I do miss Susanne Sundfør and Anna Von Hausswolff. The former has the best vocals in modern prog/prog pop whereas the latter displays some of witch-like qualities that Catherine Ribeiro, Anna Meek Renate Knaup and Diamanda Galas wield....and that is while she is playing the church organ.

My alltime favourite female vocalist?
Annisette from Savage Rose
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3771VRjvs8

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You should have added the wonderous Susanne Sundfor ( http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7784" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7784 )

I'll edit in Susanne Sundfør to Slot No. 25, seeing as she's now had two mentions. Smile

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:53
tough choice; I voted for Inga Rumpf. but where is Dagmar Krause? both Inga and Dagmar were in the same band once, the City Preachers.

Inga still has got it, as you can see in this live clip from March 2018:

she is 71 in that clip.

on a side note: the drummer of the City Preachers was a certain Udo Lindenberg who plays drums on the first Passport album and on the solo album of Jean-Jacques Kravetz (keyboarder of Frumpy and also a member of the City Preachers) and is very famous in Germany as a singer. he really is a superstar in Germany. here a live video of him:

a biographical movie of him came out this year. here a trailer:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:56
You really should have given multiple options. I voted for Annie but would have also voted for Floor Jansen had there been multiple options.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 04:31
Kate Bush out of this list, as I've been a fan of hers since day one. She's not just a great singer, but an extremely accomplished musician, composer and songwriter. However, I believe Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance fully deserves a mention, with her dramatic contralto so different from the angelic sopranos that people seem to favour here and elsewhere. Really looking forward to seeing her and the equally sublime Brendan Perry (one of my Top 10 male vocalists, hands down) in April.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 05:04
I think it´s Bobbie Watson but vote Annie.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:09
Annie Haslam, just a smidge ahead of Heather Findlay and Candice Night.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:16
Poll is missing the two vocalists from Izz; Laura Meade and Anmarie Byrnes. Also, Amy Darby from Thieves Kitchen is missing.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:21
A lot of great vocalists in this poll. Annie Haslam gets my vote.

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:27
Wow! It's great to see Annie Haslam has already taken a clear lead with a fully deserved six votes so far. Smile

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'll edit in Susanne Sundfør to Slot No. 25, seeing as she's now had two mentions. Smile

Clap

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:28
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Poll is missing the two vocalists from Izz; Laura Meade and Anmarie Byrnes. Also, Amy Darby from Thieves Kitchen is missing.

Good call for IZZ, especially Laura Meade.

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:31
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

tough choice; I voted for Inga Rumpf. but where is Dagmar Krause?
Sorry, there wasn't room to fit in everyone. I already used up all 25 poll options. Smile

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:35
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You really should have given multiple options. I voted for Annie but would have also voted for Floor Jansen had there been multiple options.

The last time I enabled multiple options - in the Best of British Drummers poll - some PA members were giving multiple votes to just one drummer, which defeated the object of the poll, so I doubt if I'll be enabling multiple options again. Sorry. Confused

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 07:05
In The Netherlands Floor Jansen is finally becoming famous! She entered the popular program 'Holland's best singers' (in which famous Dutch singers sing special songs for each other) and totally wrecked the competition. She's just won the 'Pop Award', which is one the most prestigious music awards in our country.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:28
^^ It sounds like Floor Jansen floored the competition. Smile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:32
I don't think Floor needs the pop media recognition,unless it's work that she's paid for, but after all, she's in Nightwish, one og the biggest metal bands, so... New Nightwish album on the way, so she'll have plenty of singing to do. LOL

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:52
I'm disappointed by the omission of Dagmar Krause and Amanda Parsons but I understand that it's impossible to include everyone. Kate Bush is probably my favourite out of those listed, followed by Haslam and Slick.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:00
Great poll! Annie of course.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:56
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm disappointed by the omission of Dagmar Krause and Amanda Parsons but I understand that it's impossible to include everyone. Kate Bush is probably my favourite out of those listed, followed by Haslam and Slick.
I like Amanda Parsons too, although to be honest, I hadn't heard of her before my recent review of National Health's first album. Smile

It's nearly always impossible to include everyone in an open-ended poll like this one, but at least I used up all 25 available slots. Smile

Whoever I included or left out of the poll, it looks like Annie Haslam is odds-on favourite to win the poll by a wide margin, which is the result I was hoping for because I voted for Annie too. Smile

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:28
Voting for Annie Haslam, however I do also love Christina Booth and Tori Amos....Annie and Christina for being particularly fine singers, Tori for her vocal styling being perfect for her music.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:45
Katie here but at the very top there's only one for me...Joni.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:56

100% agree on Dagmar & Amanda. Where are Sharron Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra), Yamamoto Kyoko (Koenjihyakkei), Elaine di Falco (Thinking Plague) and Courtney Swain (Bent Knee)

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Kate Bush out of this list, as I've been a fan of hers since day one. She's not just a great singer, but an extremely accomplished musician, composer and songwriter. However, I believe Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance fully deserves a mention, with her dramatic contralto so different from the angelic sopranos that people seem to favour here and elsewhere. Really looking forward to seeing her and the equally sublime Brendan Perry (one of my Top 10 male vocalists, hands down) in April.
+

^This.  Kate Bush.  And Lisa Gerrard.  Both amazing singers and accomplished musicians/composers.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:17
Of course, you can't have everybody, but I'm fully on board with Lisa Gerrard.  And adding Mary Fahl.  No soprano she.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Of course, you can't have everybody, but I'm fully on board with Lisa Gerrard.  And adding Mary Fahl.  No soprano she.

I meant to include Lisa Gerrard in the poll, so I've just added her in Slot No. 23 Smile

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:06
Courtney Swain (Bent Knee, and solo albums)

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:30
Jerney Kaagman.Haslam and Slick also.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

100% agree on Dagmar & Amanda. Where are Sharron Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra), Yamamoto Kyoko (Koenjihyakkei), Elaine di Falco (Thinking Plague) and Courtney Swain (Bent Knee)

Great call. There really are a lot of names missing from this list--MARJANA SEMKINA (IAMTHEMORNING), the ladies from iNFiNiEN, The Moulettes, Elizabeth Fraser, Amy Darby, Elisabeth Pawelke (FAUN), Meg Baird (ESPERS), Suz Johansson (PINGVINORKESTERN), Anna von Hausswolff, Irma Orm (DEMEN), Amanda Rankin (AXON-NEURON), Marit Elisabeth Swendsboe (FUNIN), Elizabeth Heaton (MIDAS FALL), Petronella Nettermalm (PAATOS), Barbara Gaskin, Stella Vander & Isabella Feuillebois (MAGMA), Annette Peacock, Paule Kleynnaert & Amara Tahir (ESKATON), Lindsay Powell (GA'AN), Carolina Restuccia (FACTOR BURZACO), Tirill Mohn, Sandy Denny (FOTHERINGAY), Susie Bogdanowicz (GLASS HAMMER), Ileesha Bailey (KARDA ESTRA), Carolina Prieto (KOTEBEL), Ana Tores (UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA), Christina Booth (MAGENTA), Roselyne Berthet (NIL), Emila Derkowska (QUIDAM), Noa Gruman (SOUL ENEMA), Cheyenne Mize (UT GRET), and so many more!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great call. There really are a lot of names missing from this list--MARJANA SEMKINA (IAMTHEMORNING), the ladies from iNFiNiEN, The Moulettes, Elizabeth Fraser, Amy Darby, Elisabeth Pawelke (FAUN), Meg Baird (ESPERS), Suz Johansson (PINGVINORKESTERN), Anna von Hausswolff, Irma Orm (DEMEN), Amanda Rankin (AXON-NEURON), Marit Elisabeth Swendsboe (FUNIN), Elizabeth Heaton (MIDAS FALL), Petronella Nettermalm (PAATOS), Barbara Gaskin, Stella Vander & Isabella Feuillebois (MAGMA), Annette Peacock, Paule Kleynnaert & Amara Tahir (ESKATON), Lindsay Powell (GA'AN), Carolina Restuccia (FACTOR BURZACO), Tirill Mohn, Sandy Denny (FOTHERINGAY), Susie Bogdanowicz (GLASS HAMMER), Ileesha Bailey (KARDA ESTRA), Carolina Prieto (KOTEBEL), Ana Tores (UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA), Christina Booth (MAGENTA), Roselyne Berthet (NIL), Emila Derkowska (QUIDAM), Noa Gruman (SOUL ENEMA), Cheyenne Mize (UT GRET), and so many more!

I'd need at least fifty slots in the poll to include all of those extra names. Wink

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:44
Kate Bush for me.......above all of them for me is Ann Wilson.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 00:08
AH

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 00:14
For her early albums it's got be Kate Bush. Truly remarkable voice.

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 01:10
Wow! This poll is now an incredibly close-run thing between Annie Haslam and Kate Bush. They're both currently in joint first place with ten votes each. No one else even comes close. Smile

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:15
Not that's she's my favorite, but I'll vote for Kate as a not-Annie vote.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:17
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great call. There really are a lot of names missing from this list--MARJANA SEMKINA (IAMTHEMORNING), the ladies from iNFiNiEN, The Moulettes, Elizabeth Fraser, Amy Darby, Elisabeth Pawelke (FAUN), Meg Baird (ESPERS), Suz Johansson (PINGVINORKESTERN), Anna von Hausswolff, Irma Orm (DEMEN), Amanda Rankin (AXON-NEURON), Marit Elisabeth Swendsboe (FUNIN), Elizabeth Heaton (MIDAS FALL), Petronella Nettermalm (PAATOS), Barbara Gaskin, Stella Vander & Isabella Feuillebois (MAGMA), Annette PeacockPaule Kleynnaert & Amara Tahir (ESKATON), Lindsay Powell (GA'AN), Carolina Restuccia (FACTOR BURZACO), Tirill Mohn, Sandy Denny (FOTHERINGAY), Susie Bogdanowicz (GLASS HAMMER), Ileesha Bailey (KARDA ESTRA), Carolina Prieto (KOTEBEL), Ana Tores (UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA), Christina Booth (MAGENTA), Roselyne Berthet (NIL), Emila Derkowska (QUIDAM), Noa Gruman (SOUL ENEMA), Cheyenne Mize (UT GRET), and so many more!

They'd certainly be on my list.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 08:12
well, Annie of course for me

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:22
When it comes to female vocals most people favour high-pitched vocals. Female vocalists that can be mistaken for being male vocalists (as often happens with Inga Rumpf) are usually not that well-liked. So I am not surprised there is only one vote for Inga. I would vote for her because her register is similar to mine (I am often mistaken for a man on the phone) and her voice is extremely powerful but can't because Jean already did and we have the same IP-address.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:43
Jane Relf (Illusion)

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

tough choice; I voted for Inga Rumpf. but where is Dagmar Krause? both Inga and Dagmar were in the same band once, the City Preachers.
I wonder if anyone would vote for Dagmar Krause though if I exchanged her for another singer with no votes. I added Susanne Sundfør after two PA members suggested I include her, but so far, no one's voted for her. Besides which, Kate Bush and Annie Haslam are so far ahead now in the poll that no late entries will even come close to changing the end result.  Smile

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:25
Geddy Lee might have a chance.

-------------

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Geddy Lee might have a chance.

He would if he was female. How about the singer with Pavlov's Dog? He's got a pretty high voice too. Wink

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 13:57
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

In The Netherlands Floor Jansen is finally becoming famous! She entered the popular program 'Holland's best singers' (in which famous Dutch singers sing special songs for each other) and totally wrecked the competition. She's just won the 'Pop Award', which is one the most prestigious music awards in our country.

Yeah, I always think that a multiple option poll is a ruined poll.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 14:46
How about Klaus Nomi? Here he is singing the aria of the Cold Genius from Henry Purcell's opera "King Arthur":

Lyrics:

What power art thou?
Who from below
Hast made me rise?
Unwillingly and slow
From beds of everlasting snow!
See'st thou not how stiff
And wondrous old?
Far unfit to bear the bitter cold...
I can scarcely move
Or draw my breath
I can scarcely move
Or draw my breath
Let me, let me
Let me, let me
Freeze again...
Let me, let me
Freeze again to death!

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:34

I wonder if anyone would vote for Dagmar Krause though if I exchanged her for another singer with no votes. I added Susanne Sundfør after two PA members suggested I include her, but so far, no one's voted for her. Besides which, Kate Bush and Annie Haslam are so far ahead now in the poll that no late entries will even come close to changing the end result.  Smile

The thing is, if user XXX sees your poll, votes, and then says "I'd have voted YYY if she was there", and you insert her later, XXX can't vote for YYY anymore, and neither can a number of other people who have already voted. Changing options later will never make a fair poll. Apart from that, the "end result" is the result for everyone, not just the winner.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 17:07
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/mariska_veres" rel="nofollow - Mariska Veres from Shocking Blue

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 00:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The thing is, if user XXX sees your poll, votes, and then says "I'd have voted YYY if she was there", and you insert her later, XXX can't vote for YYY anymore, and neither can a number of other people who have already voted. Changing options later will never make a fair poll. Apart from that, the "end result" is the result for everyone, not just the winner.
That's a good point. It's a case of me trying to please everyone at once by adding PA members suggestions to the poll, but ending up pleasing no one, and besides, I've already used up all 25 poll options, so adding new names to the poll means I have to remove someone who's already in the poll. Smile

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 01:17
Tracy Hitchings (Landmarq, Quasar, projects with Clive Nolan) is my favorite singer in prog. Also Sandy Denny in early Strawbs, early Joni Mitchell and Sally Carr from Middle of the Road deserve mention.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 06:52

That's a good point. It's a case of me trying to please everyone at once by adding PA members suggestions to the poll, but ending up pleasing no one, and besides, I've already used up all 25 poll options, so adding new names to the poll means I have to remove someone who's already in the poll. Smile

In my opinion, as a poll designer you can be much more robust and say, "that's my poll, if you want to have this or that other option, do your own". Of course it still makes good sense to suggest and discuss other options, and a poll designer can admit occasionally that somebody is not there because they haven't thought of this option and it would've been a good one,  but ultimately the answer to "why is YYY not there?" always is "because the poll designer didn't include them, and they can include and not include whoever they want".

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 07:31
Kate for the win? Now that's close.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 08:51

In my opinion, as a poll designer you can be much more robust and say, "that's my poll, if you want to have this or that other option, do your own". Of course it still makes good sense to suggest and discuss other options, and a poll designer can admit occasionally that somebody is not there because they haven't thought of this option and it would've been a good one,  but ultimately the answer to "why is YYY not there?" always is "because the poll designer didn't include them, and they can include and not include whoever they want".
Occasionally, I'm tempted to say "Why don't you set up your own poll?" if someone suggests a whole bundle of names that I haven't included, but that might come across as rude. Smile

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 08:55
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Tracy Hitchings (Landmarq, Quasar, projects with Clive Nolan) is my favorite singer in prog. Also Sandy Denny in early Strawbs, early Joni Mitchell and Sally Carr from Middle of the Road deserve mention.

You've just given me an idea for another poll. I can't include Joni Mitchell, Sandy Denny & Sally Carr in this poll because all 25 slots are already taken, and besides which, they're not prog singers, but I COULD include them in a poll of favourite female Folk singers. Wink

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 09:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Kate for the win? Now that's close.

I had no idea Annie Haslam and Kate Bush would end up being so far ahead and literally neck and neck when I set this poll up, but I'm glad they are because they're two of my favourite singers. Smile

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 10:40
Gave this to Lisa Gerrard. Not her fault the entire American TV and movie soundtrack industry seems to have co-opted her voice since about 2000.  I remember the first time I heard 'The Mirror Pool' when it came out, and just felt that I'd entered a realm of music I'd never imagined before.

Second place to Renate from Amon Duul II,
and can't help it, just love Grace Slick.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: January 24 2020 at 17:21

When Gandalf said that, people got angry and called him arrogant. Guess this is a more mature PA then.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:29
I'm not sure many would consider the symphonic metal entries to be prog, so the lack of votes there is to be expected.

But setting aside the genre mismatch, as a vocalist, Tarja is clearly the class of this list, with Floor and maybe Sharon also head and shoulders above the rest. Those women have the pipes!

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:36
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I'm not sure many would consider the symphonic metal entries to be prog, so the lack of votes there is to be expected.

But setting aside the genre mismatch, as a vocalist, Tarja is clearly the class of this list, with Floor and maybe Sharon also head and shoulders above the rest. Those women have the pipes!

That's a good point, but if I'd left the best-known Symphonic Metal singers out of the poll, I had a feeling someone would inevitably ask why I didn't include them. Smile

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:39

There's nothing Tarja can do that Floor can't or Annie for that matter.  Tarja fanboys/fangirls have hyped her way too much (because she gained notoriety as a symph metal singer long before Floor, Simone or Sharon), whilst not denying that she is quite a capable singer technically.  Floor on the other hand:

To go from the above to this:

And also this, which is her forte:

There is no female singer in the world today I know of that can do all this. Technically speaking, Floor is the best female singer in rock today, without question. Tastes may differ of course but the repertoire involved in going from full on death growls to full voice sixth octave notes is mind boggling to say the least.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:47

There's nothing Tarja can do that Floor can't or Annie for that matter.  Tarja fanboys/fangirls have hyped her way too much (because she gained notoriety as a symph metal singer long before Floor, Simone or Sharon), whilst not denying that she is quite a capable singer technically.  Floor on the other hand:

There is no female singer in the world today I know of that can do all this. Technically speaking, Floor is the best female singer in rock today, without question. Tastes may differ of course but the repertoire involved in going from full on death growls to full voice sixth octave notes is mind boggling to say the least.
Floor Jansen can certainly floor the competition when it comes to Symphonic Metal singers, so maybe it's time for a Female Symphonic Metal Singers poll to give her a fair chance of winning when Annie Haslam and Kate Bush won't be included. Smile

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 15:53
Glaring omission is Jacqui McShee (Pentangle). The voice of an angel. She would have got my vote.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:02
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Glaring omission is Jacqui McShee (Pentangle). The voice of an angel. She would have got my vote.
Not to worry. She'll be coming up in my Favourite Female Folk Singers poll. Wink

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Gave this to Lisa Gerrard. Not her fault the entire American TV and movie soundtrack industry seems to have co-opted her voice since about 2000.  I remember the first time I heard 'The Mirror Pool' when it came out, and just felt that I'd entered a realm of music I'd never imagined before.

Second place to Renate from Amon Duul II,
and can't help it, just love Grace Slick.
Lisa Gerrard is probably best-known for "Now We Are Free" on the Gladiator soundtrack, although I love all of her albums, both solo and with Dead Can Dance.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:24

Floor Jansen can certainly floor the competition when it comes to Symphonic Metal singers, so maybe it's time for a Female Symphonic Metal Singers poll to give her a fair chance of winning when Annie Haslam and Kate Bush won't be included. Smile

I like all the Nightwish singers...I even like the guy when he sings!

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 20:36
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Yup, love Marco.  Hope you have all heard his rendition of High Hopes.  Before Floor joined the band, he was my favourite singer in Nightwish.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 21:42

Floor might just as well have beaten Tarja at singing this song.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 22:24
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Floor might just as well have beaten Tarja at singing this song.

Floor is a very vivacious and expressive person and that translates well in such songs.  Tarja can match her technically on Phantom but the interaction with the male singer is what Floor does better.

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 22:51
^I don´t like Tarja at all. I am really glad she´s not Nightwish anymore, although Nightwish is quite indifferent to me.

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 02:29
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^I don´t like Tarja at all. I am really glad she´s not Nightwish anymore, although Nightwish is quite indifferent to me.
It's just a matter of personal taste. Tarja Turunen happens to be my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal singer. Smile

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 03:30

It's just a matter of personal taste. Tarja Turunen happens to be my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal singer. Smile
Yes. For some reason I haven´t liked opera-style vocals in popular music. I like some operas (for example Mussorgsky´s Boris Godunov.

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 04:35

Yes. For some reason I haven´t liked opera-style vocals in popular music. I like some operas (for example Mussorgsky´s Boris Godunov.

Likewise.  That's why the only symph metal female singer I warmed up to was Floor.  I love that Annie doesn't use that operatic tone except on rare occasions like the last part of Scheherazade.

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 05:35
I think Sarah Brightman would make a good Symphonic Metal singer if she ever wanted to branch out and diversify from Classical Crossover. Smile

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 05:44

Likewise.  That's why the only symph metal female singer I warmed up to was Floor.  I love that Annie doesn't use that operatic tone except on rare occasions like the last part of Scheherazade.
To me Annie hasn´t ever sounded opera-singer at all, she just sounds beautiful!

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 08:11

To me Annie hasn´t ever sounded opera-singer at all, she just sounds beautiful!

She does use that sound but only where it's absolutely needed, like her rendering of Ave Maria.  She never uses it in a general pastoral folk-rock setting.  Say something like what Sally Oldfield did on Shadow of the Hierophant, Annie would never use that tone in a song like that.

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:23

Yup, love Marco.  Hope you have all heard his rendition of High Hopes.  Before Floor joined the band, he was my favourite singer in Nightwish.
i'm not familiar with his solo work but listening to it now.  Seems like he should be on PA don't you think?
I am embarrassed to say I don't easily distinguish the female singers in Nightwish - I just know they don't tend to last long!  I do think the band as a whole has improved over time and their last 2 studio albums are my favorites

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:49
Bearing in mind Annie Haslam is currently leading the poll for the best female Prog-Rock vocalist of all time, it's a damn shame she was recently rejected for inclusion in Prog Archives. Confused

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:53
I'm pretty sure the band she's in is on PA.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:58

I'm pretty sure the band she's in is on PA.

I was hoping Annie Haslam would be added to PA as a solo artist too. Smile

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 16:48
Love Annie, Kate and Heather..... but at her peak with Iona, I think Joanne Hogg's voice was pure perfection. ❤️

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 20:30

i'm not familiar with his solo work but listening to it now.  Seems like he should be on PA don't you think?
I am embarrassed to say I don't easily distinguish the female singers in Nightwish - I just know they don't tend to last long!  I do think the band as a whole has improved over time and their last 2 studio albums are my favorites

That's because they all have to sing the same fifth octave opera sounding stuff on metal. Floor is the current singer and a lot more interesting outside Nightwish.

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 07:24
Really wanted to vote for Jane Relf (who I saw sing with Renaissance) or Catherine Ribeiro (a relatively recent discovery thanks to this site).  But in order to be entirely honest, I had to go with the wonderful Sonja Kirstina.  The one time I was lucky enough to see Curved Air (1971, original lineup), they had tremendous stage presence, in addition to the obvious musical talent.  I'm not sure if others in the audience felt the same way we did (2 friends I went with agreed with me), but for us they blew headliners Emerson, Lake & Palmer right off of the stage. And we had gone to see ELP.  Curved Air came as a surprise, so preconceptions didn't enter into it.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:37
Heather Findley 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:52
This poll still running eh ? Still Christina Booth 💖

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:19
Had to go with "Joanne Hogg" cause I would go for Iona more often than the others.

Boy did Nick Beggs had hair back then..

Posted By: ngkh53
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:50
Ninet Tayeb, guest singer for Steven Wilson

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 15:01
Jacqui McShee or Sandy Denny.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 15:10
Good poll!  I gave Christina Booth some love, she is amazing! 

Also, Glass Hammer has a new release featuring a WONDERFUL female vocalist, Hannah Pryor!  She has a lovely Middle-Eastern influence in her vocals that adds a lot of mystery to the music!  

https://www.progradar.org/index.php/2021/09/17/us-proggers-glass-hammer-release-a-two-song-video-to-celebrate-their-october-15th-release-of-skallagrim-into-the-breach/?fbclid=IwAR05nFjL63OGGCnCv63d5fxz5h-BBJNHezNTRBcZ0YS_e8aop7Qz9kr_qkg" rel="nofollow - https://www.progradar.org/index.php/2021/09/17/us-proggers-glass-hammer-release-a-two-song-video-to-celebrate-their-october-15th-release-of-skallagrim-into-the-breach/?fbclid=IwAR05nFjL63OGGCnCv63d5fxz5h-BBJNHezNTRBcZ0YS_e8aop7Qz9kr_qkg

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 18:46
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Love Annie, Kate and Heather..... but at her peak with Iona, I think Joanne Hogg's voice was pure perfection. ❤️

ClapThumbs Up

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 19 2021 at 20:03
Many good ones on that list..........Haslam obvious the favorite right now but I like Slick, Bush, Booth, and especially Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance. I just wish she had done a few more conventional lyrical vocal tracks with DCD but I am still a big fan of her and the band. She gets my vote.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: September 20 2021 at 01:49
Annie Haslam (Renaissance)
Jerney Kaagman (Earth & Fire)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: September 20 2021 at 04:49
I voted for Dagmar Krause - ah, not on the list - OK then, my vote goes to Liz Fraser...what?  Not prog?  Eh?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk