Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:35
Drama for sure

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:18
Going for the One, just a little bit more.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:26
'One was Wakeman's return, wasn't it? Of course, for that to happen meant putting Patrick Moraz on the shelf which was, sadly, no amiable split. So with Wakeman once again on board, 'One was epic. Drama was (is), unfortunately, a little goofy and ill-advised. Machine Messiah, the album's long player, unmercifully pummels the ears with a desperate Howe trying to breathe some listenability into it. And what more can be said about an album that is best represented by White Car, clocking in at a mere 1:21? As for the attached Buggles to the project, both jumped ship as one went on to a successful producing career while the other settled into a lengthy stint with that '80s band, Asia.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:33
Drama has improved with age (I love Machine Messiah) but surely Going for the One stands apart. Awaken alone has to put it ahead, but after that it's Turn of the Century, Parallels, Wonderous Stories etc. The last truly classic Yes album with anything like a classic line-up.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: hugo1995
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:44
It's strange, I would consider myself a big Yes fan, I LOVE their 60s albums (heard them after the prog classics), but I haven't ever gone past Gates of Delirium album. 

I have Going for the One on vinyl, and heard Tormato once or so but they've never sat with me.

I need to listen to an album 5-10 times before I can review it or form an unbiased opinion really.

-------------
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

'One was Wakeman's return, wasn't it? Of course, for that to happen meant putting Patrick Moraz on the shelf which was, sadly, no amiable split. So with Wakeman once again on board, 'One was epic. Drama was (is), unfortunately, a little goofy and ill-advised. Machine Messiah, the album's long player, unmercifully pummels the ears with a desperate Howe trying to breathe some listenability into it. And what more can be said about an album that is best represented by White Car, clocking in at a mere 1:21? As for the attached Buggles to the project, both jumped ship as one went on to a successful producing career while the other settled into a lengthy stint with that '80s band, Asia.

Wow, that's a tough review. I hardly think  White Car was the highlight of Drama.  Does it Really Happen , Tempus Fugit & Machine Messiah are all solid Yes tracks featuring some of Chris Squires best bass work IMO. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:54
Definitely Drama. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 13:01
Going for the one with Awaken

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Timeaisis
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 13:03
Going for the One has Awaken on it, so it wins.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 14:30
Going for the One. Drama is not bad, but it has some weak points.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 18:11
Going for the one, no question.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 18:35
Both, equally. 

Wakeman's return! You get the incredible "Parallels" and one of their best epics, "Awaken." SCORE!

Then you get a rocked-up Yes delivering the goods with "Machine Messiah" and "Run Through the Light." Squire doesn't give you the easy way out and smashes you with an epic bassline in "Tempus Fugit." BOOM!

If you're a Yes fan, you like both. No ifs, ands, or buts.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 18:47
Originally posted by Timeaisis Timeaisis wrote:

Yes exactly---but Parallels --Turn of the Century---Wonderous Stories and the title track are pretty good too.

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 19:08
I like them both. Both have weak and strong points. For example, I can't stand the Going for the One song. The guitar solo at the end just drives me crazy. And the chorus in Drama's Into the Lens is unbearable to me. Just a couple of examples

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 19:59
Both are enjoyable and really good.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 00:38
Drama just because of it's uniqueness. GFTO has always felt a bit contrived to me. From Time and a Word through to Relayer they were a band that evolved. I don't hear that on GFTO although Parallels is a killer track and I rather like the wimsy of Wonderous Stories. The pipe organ of Awaken and Howe's acoustic guitar on TOTC are both beautiful. It definitely has its moments but I would rather listen to 5 or 6 other albums (Drama included) before it.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 02:55
These days, both equally. Very different albums, and GFTO has Awaken, but then Drama has Machine Messiah and Does it Really Happen.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Timeaisis Timeaisis wrote:

This.

Drama is great but GFTO is a classic.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:23
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

It's strange, I would consider myself a big Yes fan, I LOVE their 60s albums

The first 2 albums are great, but only the debut is really a 60s album (Time and a Word was released in 1970).

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:30
Tough choice. Surprised to find myself voting for Drama after listening to both again. I'm not a fan of Wakeman's digital keys. I missed the soaring synths of TFTO.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:45
GFTO

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 06:05
Going for the One!

I like both albums, but GFTO has "Awaken" on it, which is one of the best tracks in the whole Yes discography, and hands down beats anything on Drama

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 06:13
Drama has more spins on the turntable, so that gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 22:11
Drama has Machine Messiah, but Going for the One has Turn of the Century, and even more important, Awaken, so...

Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Both, equally. 

Wakeman's return! You get the incredible "Parallels" and one of their best epics, "Awaken." SCORE!

Then you get a rocked-up Yes delivering the goods with "Machine Messiah" and "Run Through the Light." Squire doesn't give you the easy way out and smashes you with an epic bassline in "Tempus Fugit." BOOM!

If you're a Yes fan, you like both. No ifs, ands, or buts.

It's good to read someone apreciating Run through the Light... I actually like that song well enough. Usually, besides Machine Messiah, everyone praises Tempus Fugit (which has never done much for me), and always dismiss Run through the Light.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 22:58
GFTO = *****
Drama = ****

Guess where my vote goes.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 12:23
I went for 'both equally'.

I remember 'Going for the One' coming out.  I was about 13-14 and it was my first new Yes album.

I think the title track is the spiritual successor to 'Roundabout', and it's the last Yes song which makes my teeth move about. 

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 31 2020 at 13:32
The first YES album I ever bought on vinyl was a compilation called "Classic Yes".

Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 01:45
^ that's one of the better compilations. I think I even bought it (although on CD) despite already owning most of the songs!

btw pleased to see that Drama is not getting caned in this poll .

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 02:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Drama has Machine Messiah, but Going for the One has Turn of the Century, and even more important, Awaken, so...

I do not know what I am missing (or something) but Turn of the Century does nothing for me.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 02:40
I'm a latecomer to Drama. But when I heard it, I was very impressed with the album, and quite surprised by how different it sounded. Actually, I'm so impressed with the album that I may even prefer it to Going for the One (and Tormato). But for this poll, I'll vote for "Both Equally".

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 01 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Tough choice. Surprised to find myself voting for Drama after listening to both again. I'm not a fan of Wakeman's digital keys. I missed the soaring synths of TFTO.

I seriously doubt those are digital keys. You didn't really have digital until the 80's. 

Anyway, I can't really decide. I think Drama is maybe their strongest(or one of their strongest)musically speaking but GFTO has Jon on it. I'll have to think about it. Maybe a tie for me.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:13
Drama by miles for me. Even as a classic era Yes fan boi, GFTO never, ever "clicked", and always felt like a footnote album for me. The only thing I can compare it to is like, that last wave of new movies on VHS before DVD completely took over, lol. The end of an era, and a tad too late IMHO. Drama was a rebirth for Yes, and one I'm very fond of personally!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:18
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Going for the one, no question.

Aye.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 03 2020 at 22:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I do not know what I am missing (or something) but Turn of the Century does nothing for me.
Listen to it done live.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: February 03 2020 at 23:07
^dont feel bad, awaken does nothing for me. In fact, I really just don’t like it.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: February 04 2020 at 00:54
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^dont feel bad, awaken does nothing for me. In fact, I really just don’t like it.

Interesting. It does have an unusual structure but is very original. I love Rick Wakeman's contribution especially but it does go off on a bit of a wander at times and is deliberately enigmatic. It's reaching for something but what that is remains unclear. That's my summation. The whole album though lacks cohesion for me and I really hate the trebley production. Still waiting for the SW reissue if that ever happens 

Date Posted: February 04 2020 at 01:23
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Listen to it done live.

ok, I'll do that and get back to you. Big smile

A few moments later (inspecteur Clouseau accent) - still very meh to me.

Date Posted: February 04 2020 at 22:28
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Listen to it done live.

Often enough I love live versions of songs... even more than the studio ones... but not this one.

Date Posted: February 04 2020 at 22:29
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

However, I do love the live version of Awaken (Keys to Ascension) so much better than the studio one (despite the fact the studio one has real church organ).

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: February 05 2020 at 02:44
My Feelings about drama is its a good album but I wouldn't call it a classic , I would call Going for the One a classic so Going for the One it is !  Tongue

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 01:11
There is a big, BIG separation between the two in my book. One is a good album, mixing fresh ideas with ill-advised quirks. The other is bona fide classic, definitely superior to Tales, almost on par with Yes greatest achievements.

I vote for Going for the One

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 01:27
No, not a fan of either. Tales was the last album I liked without reservation.

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 07:41
Awaken.

Any album with that song on it will automatically win my vote.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 07:51
Place drama above GFTO and your progdentials should be removed for perpetuity...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 08:15
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Place drama above GFTO and your progdentials should be removed for perpetuity...

really? LOL

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 07:50

really? LOL

Yes!
Who so sayeth "I don't like Awaken" should be tarred and feathered and laughed out of prog-town...
Awaken has everything, except it should have been another 15 minutes longer..

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 07:56
Got to admit tho. Not listened to Drama for 20 years....but that tells me I aint missing anything...

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 09:03

really? LOL

Yes!
Who so sayeth "I don't like Awaken" should be tarred and feathered and laughed out of prog-town...
Awaken has everything, except it should have been another 15 minutes longer..

I've never seen anyone say it here expressing dislike for Awaken.
I've grown to dislike the title song though (Howe ruins the song for me) and Turn of the Century does nothing for me.

I don't skip any songs on Drama though.Big smile

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 09:29
Turn of tbe Century, sublime guitar work by howe. Don't remember anythimg as good on Drama. Machine Messiah has some good guitar...but nothing like Awaken 12 string solo...

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 11:33

I've grown to dislike the title song though (Howe ruins the song for me) and Turn of the Century does nothing for me.

I don't skip any songs on Drama though.Big smile
[/QUOTE] Yeah, 'One always seemed to me the Achilles' heel of the production. Like it belonged on another album. As for Howe's role there, I don't see how he can ruin anything (he did do that bland Dylan album, though).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 11:35
Don't know how the Cristi attribute disappeared from my last post.

-------------

Posted By: Drama72
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:00
Both great albums but Drama is my favourite by far. Still love GFTO.

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:09
Drama definitely.   It's better at its game (IMO).

I find Going for the One somewhat too Anderson-oriented (in a manner that doesn't suit me) IMO heralding the Yes that would come later.

Wonderous Stories is what I best like there by far.

For me the highlights on Drama are: 'Machine Messiah', 'White car' and 'Into the Lens'.

PS: In the name of my username, thank you for all the compliments on this thread  Embarrassed

Wink

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:46
Drama. Is a better release than Tormato. But we are still in the third division of yes releases...division 1 is CTTE, TFTO, R and GFTO. Division 2 is F and TYA...
If anybody tells me they prefer any track off Drama to CTTE (track) AYAI, GOD , A , TOTC I would consider their taste to be somewhat west of symphonic prog and veering into being a more pop philic fan...

-------------

Posted By: oka2112
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:51
Both are very good, but Going for The One is slighty better.

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:37
When I was discovering late 70's Yes, both of these got a lot of spins and enjoyment.  Couldn't decide so i chose both.

But anyway, thanks for making me remember and think thru the comparison.

-------------
Z

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 16:22
Voted for Drama but these two albums aren't a big deal.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 15:43
Drama for me.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 19:36
Drama is ok...but, come on, GFTO is a freakin' classic!
The real poll should have been Tormato vs Drama (I'd vote Tormato)

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 20:55
This was a very tough choice for me. In some ways Drama is better because it's a tighter album and it sounds stronger in some ways with more "balls." I have always thought musically it was one of their strongest. Going for the one almost falls apart at the seams in places and parallels suffers from a sparse sound due to Wakeman's poor choice of abandoning the synth for the organ. I also think turn of the century is a little flat although I like the instrumental section. However, in the end I still voted for GFTO mainly for "awaken." Wonderous stories and the title track though are two of the most underrated Yes songs in their catalog so that counts for something also. Another deciding factor for me is that Jon Anderson didn't sing on Drama. While Trevor Horn did a fine job on Drama I prefer Jon's singing.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 21:36
Both. I'm in the minority of loving Tormato and 90125 as well. After that they started diminishing in quality but every album still had a few great tracks until the very end at least

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: March 01 2020 at 01:01
It is a lot tighter than I thought it would be! Drama is better than Tormato...but still several magnitudes below GFTO. Still. That is subjective analysis for you...

-------------

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: March 01 2020 at 01:24
Lots of love for Going......... so clearly that one. 

-------------
Same person as this profile:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk