Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122098
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 06:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Experiences kicking nicotine addictions
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: Experiences kicking nicotine addictions
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 17:39
Might be an offbeat topic, but I’m curious if any of you have experience in quitting nicotine addictions or habits. I, like many people my age (18) got hooked on vaping a while ago and after realizing it was just making me feel lethargic and sh*tty, I went cold turkey 10 days ago. Still the cravings and withdrawal have been really awful and honestly haven’t been getting better. So if some of you have stories I could use some motivation. Obviously quitting cigs is harder, but this has been one of the most difficult things I’ve done in my life.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Replies:
Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 17:54
Addictions are mostly subliminal programming. Check out Dr Bruce Lipton on  YouTube. He has some methods for reprogramming your subconscious. Great job for quitting! Hope you stay that way :)

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 18:43
Best of luck to you for quitting!  One thing I found helpful (2+ packs a day smoker, quit in 1986) was to take frequent showers.  Somebody said that while the nicotine is leaving your body, you can actually still smell it and it makes you crave the nicotine. I don't know if this is true, but showers are relaxing and it's hard to light up in the shower.  Big smile  I did a gradual let-up until I quit, making certain places and times I smoked not available anymore, like in the car, or indoors, or first thing in the am and also gradually cut back to lower nicotine cigarettes.  Again, hang in there, it will get better!  And you will feel so much better with time.  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 19:27
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Best of luck to you for quitting!  One thing I found helpful (2+ packs a day smoker, quit in 1986) was to take frequent showers.  Somebody said that while the nicotine is leaving your body, you can actually still smell it and it makes you crave the nicotine. I don't know if this is true, but showers are relaxing and it's hard to light up in the shower.  Big smile  I did a gradual let-up until I quit, making certain places and times I smoked not available anymore, like in the car, or indoors, or first thing in the am and also gradually cut back to lower nicotine cigarettes.  Again, hang in there, it will get better!  And you will feel so much better with time.  

Interesting, may have to try that. I simply got rid of all my stuff. The thing is, the thought of doing it makes me feel repulsed, but the brain just won’t let up. It’s clear to me that progress isn’t linear, a couple days ago the cravings weren’t bad, but the past two days have been some of the worst. I figure as long as I don’t cave in, we can only go in the right direction.

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: January 30 2020 at 21:13
I quit gradually by not buying packs and only occasionally bumming from others or buying singles from stores that would illegally sell them. I had a new girlfriend who I was hiding my smoking from, so that helped.
Finally, i had not had one in a while and I suppose I lost some of my tolerance because the next time I bummed one while drunk I got very sick and that feeling lasted for a day or two. I never smoked a cigarette again. Unfortunately, my attraction to smoking other things increased, but I am really glad I quit my addiction to nicotine.

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 11:52
After 50 years of smoking lucky strikes 3 years ago on New Years Day I quit cold turkey. The first step I believe is you really need to want to quit. The next step is to stay away from others who smoke during the initial period. The urge goes away with time and the improvement in taste is real. 

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 12:00
I’m now on day 19, cravings very minor and rare. Thanks for sharing your stories. I’ve been trying to fill the hole in my life that quitting nicotine/drugs has left behind currently.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Interesting, may have to try that. I simply got rid of all my stuff. The thing is, the thought of doing it makes me feel repulsed, but the brain just won’t let up. It’s clear to me that progress isn’t linear, a couple days ago the cravings weren’t bad, but the past two days have been some of the worst. I figure as long as I don’t cave in, we can only go in the right direction.
  Sounds like you're doing really well at stopping, from your last post. It may sometimes get strong from time to time to have one, depending on what triggers you the most, but remind yourself of how hard it was to stop....and look where you are now!  Congratulations!

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 12:16
Great job Doug 

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 14:31
I quit this past summer after 4 years of increasing usage... Like 'timothy leary' said, it starts with really believing you want to quit. Nicotine really is an afwul, useless, manipulative substance and I could no longer think of excuses to keep using it. Then go cold turkey until the urge disappears, took me three months before it truly was gone, after that you should feel no more urge to start again.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 17:37
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

I quit this past summer after 4 years of increasing usage... Like 'timothy leary' said, it starts with really believing you want to quit. Nicotine really is an afwul, useless, manipulative substance and I could no longer think of excuses to keep using it. Then go cold turkey until the urge disappears, took me three months before it truly was gone, after that you should feel no more urge to start again.

Well done, totally agree with your sentiments about nicotine. Nicotine does nothing but get you addicted. I’m close to 3 weeks in and the cravings are at the point where they aren’t strong enough to make me want to pick it back up like they were the first 10 days or so.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 18:21
Good job -- I hate the control nicotine has had on me and its effect on my brain chemistry. I hate the constant self-"medication".

I quite smoking almost ten years ago then got hooked on nicotine gum. I'm trying to break that habit. I'm giving it two more months.

That said, when I went nicotine cold turkey I also found that frequent showers helped greatly. Also frequent heavy exercise (mountain biking was my main activity and I made sure that I rode-hiked to the peaks of mountains every day even in winter in snowy conditions. Had I not lived near mountains obviously my choice of activity would have been different. I also found a lot of sleep helped.

What was hardest for me without nicotine was my job which required a lot of focus and a certain kind of creativity. It helped that I mostly worked from home on my computer. Showers did help to get the brain juices working and for relaxation. I found that my mind would find solutions without trying as I showered. When at uni I also found frequent showers helped when trying to compose my papers. It would just come to me as I showered, baths are another good option. I've rather wanted to set up an office where everyone does their work while in the bath/ showering -- we'd be the bathhouse prune crew.

Oh, and those super sour Warheads candies helped. If I felt the urge I'd stick one of those in my mouth.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 00:38
I´ve quit a couple of times through the years and started Again, but it´s never been the physical part which has bothered me when I quit. It´s always phychological and especially alcohol tricks my craving like nothing else. I have no problem in my everyday life at Work, at home, or in the weekends, but when I go out with the boys or go to a concert, or go to a football match, that´s when it gets hard. Therefore I have purchased a Little plastic Shell with nicotine ampules, which I use on those occassions, and it Works surprisingly well. After many years I have come to the conclusion that I can´t completely live without it, so I´ve made a compromise with myself.

I don´t use the substitute plastic cigarette often. Only when the craving occurs, so it´s not like I got a new daily habit to deal with. I guess I´m similar to a seasonal alcoholic or something like that.

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 02:39
Nicotine is not addictive. It is habituating. 

You don't wake up in the middle of the night desperate for nicotine. Nicotine is also a rather important neurotransmitter in the brain, so when you've tuned yourself to expect a level of it, reducing that level produces unpleasant confusion and a vaguely nauseous feeling. 

Yes, it's "a withdrawal symptom", but don't confuse that with the potentially fatal symptoms you get from withdrawing suddenly from opiates or even alcohol. 

When stopping smoking, most of the nicotine in your system is metabolised within a couple of hours and then you are completely nicotine free within three or so days. It's a small price to pay if you want to give up smoking. Just do it over a long weekend. 

I very easily transitioned away from cigarettes a few years ago, giving myself an occasional top up of nicotine from an e cigarette. Before anyone goes on about e cigs, yes, I make my own liquid and it's 100 percent safe, Uninformed Fact Quoters. Eventually, I was completely off cigarettes. 

Guess what ? I got utterly bored and started smoking again. Why ? Because I like it. You have to die of something, after all. As for "lung cancer risks", smoking is the primary cause of statistics, and whilst there is an elevated risk of cancer, be it throat, tongue, lung, whatever, when you look at the figures, they are somewhat overegged to scare the unknowing. The risks of cancer from drinking or being overweight are actually much higher, believe it or not. 

The main thing about stopping smoking is that you have to want to do so. If you don't, you're wasting your time. You then stop putting them in your mouth and lighting them. It's that easy. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 03:26
The other suggestion for kicking nicotine is..... well, if you absolutely can't, try e-cigarettes. 

Despite the current Moral Panic, e-cigarettes are safe. I used to make my own liquid, the components of which are FDA regulated food additives for flavouring, nicotine (see "neurotransmitter" above), vegetable glycerine (see "in lots of food") and / or polyethylene glycol, which is used in both eye and neurosurgery. You get a nicotine hit, and might find you prefer the cleaner taste to cigarettes, which taste like a burning haystack after you get used to vaping. 

However. There's a lot of fiddling about. Poly glycol tends to dry your throat out, you have to charge batteries up and get new atomisers (I make my own coils and wicks too, sad bunny). 

Which leads us to another alternative - pipes or cigars. 

Shock horror but hear me out. 

Amongst pipe smokers (I've been smoking a pipe for 17-18 years) the old saying is "cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby but pipes are a religion". It's probably true. I mainly gave up cigarettes (I smoke 5 a day, max, now) as I really didn't like them any more. Cigarettes are full of the cheapest, dryest, floor scrapings of tobacco you can find. You tend to smoke a cigarette for a nicotine injection. And a lot of people inhale. Inhalation brings a much heightened risk of lung cancer. 

I used to smoke cigars, but it gets quite expensive, especially if you smoke Cuban cigars, which I did. However, you're smoking quality, and not quantity. Smoking actually becomes enjoyable again, especially with a pipe. Most pipe smokers I know only smoke a bowl or two a day, they smoke quality, handmade, natural tobaccos, the flavour and taste is fantastic and there's nothing quite like a contemplative moment with a pipe. Or half an hour, for that matter. The cancer risks, compared to smoking, are thought to be less, though there's no conclusive study due to small sample size - only 2% of smokers in the US smoke a pipe.

Pipe tobacco, in general, also contains much less nicotine than cigarette tobacco. So your one bowl a day effectively weans you off cigarettes as well.  

You might be worried that you look like some crusty old frat, gentlemen, I am indeed a crusty old frat. And I don' geef no sheet what other people think I look like, as I sit here smoking the finest tobacco known to man. Quality, not quantity. 

And if you're worried about your street cred, may I remind you all that we're on a prog rock forum ? ;-)

EDIT: this is not to say pipe smoking carries no risk. All tobacco smoking carries risks, the same as drinking alcohol carries cancer risks. The Surgeon General etc etc. "Healthier alternatives if you just can't give up" rather than "You SHOULD smoke a pipe". 

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 05:34
hah.. advice for kicking the habit is like a****les.. all have them.

but the Big Mick is the biggest of all and has the best advice of all.

get yourself married... and marry a smoking hot Morman... but don't.. DO NOT fall prey to the redheaded variety..  you might stop smoking.. but you will still burn in hell.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 10:43
Nicotine is addictive. Use the same willpower to smoke not to smoke. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 01:25
I quit cigarettes in September last year. I used gum.

It was my fourth attempt, and I find it tough. I wasn't even a heavy smoker (around 7 - 10 a day) but the habit is tough for me to break. I'm quite a weak character, anyway, with an addictive personality. Smoking was 'my thing' The ritual of withdrawing from a situation and having five minutes of 'me time' was my way of coping with anxiety. I have found I am eating a lot more and putting on weight. I feel pretty miserable to be frank, but I know it was worth doing after 30 years.

Taking it up in the first place is the only significant regret I have in life, and I would appeal to any young person to never take it up. At best it's a waste of money, and at worst it'll knock at least 20 years off your life expectancy. I'm glad it's become a pariah's pursuit, and, I believe, on track to be completely banned.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 03:04
I was a very heavy smoker (30 to 40 a day, maybe more at the weekend) but finally quit smoking 8 years ago (I'm 57) and 'cold turkey' was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life so I can empathize with those who are finding it tough. My mood swings were on the cusp of bi-polar and I gained a lot of weight. There is no real secret to quitting but what I found pivotal in the end was simply 'dropping' every single one of my acquaintances who smoked. Yes, that sounds a tad extreme but desperate measures etc. The vast majority of said acquaintances never sought out my company afterwards so maybe we were just bonded by slavery. Best cure for a lot of addictions is thinning out the herd...One of the best incentives of all is that it's an instant 'massive' pay rise.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 06:18
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Dang Dave ... I can smell that all the way here ... is it anything like a Cuban Cigar?

BTW, I quit smogging 3 and a half months ago, after likely 10 years of it (had quit before) ... and my quitting was easy ... I'm done!

Sometimes, your will is all you gotta confront ... and since I don't do fights with my will, or argue with it ... we're good friends!!!!! ... I just quit ... it was no big deal!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 06:24
I don't have any advice on kicking this brutally additive habit. The only way that I have been able to stop smoking is by playing a mind game with myself. It's terrifying for me to say that I've quit so I just say that I've given cigarettes a break. A break that's lasted since 2013. You have to find what works for you.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 07:29
I smoked heavily from 13 to 50. I rolled my own too so likely much worse without filters. I started vaping in 2013, and without that I couldn't have stopped the smoking. I make my own eliquid too and have, very slowly, reduced nictotine content to hardly anything now. I do like smoking, but the smell on it on others' now is horrible. I've often said that if I went to a doctor and he told me I had months to live, the first thing I'd do is buy some tobacco and papers.

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 19:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I was a very heavy smoker (30 to 40 a day, maybe more at the weekend) but finally quit smoking 8 years ago (I'm 57) and 'cold turkey' was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life so I can empathize with those who are finding it tough. My mood swings were on the cusp of bi-polar and I gained a lot of weight. There is no real secret to quitting but what I found pivotal in the end was simply 'dropping' every single one of my acquaintances who smoked. Yes, that sounds a tad extreme but desperate measures etc. The vast majority of said acquaintances never sought out my company afterwards so maybe we were just bonded by slavery. Best cure for a lot of addictions is thinning out the herd...One of the best incentives of all is that it's an instant 'massive' pay rise.

I’ve been thinking I might have to drop one of my best friends due to his extreme vaping habits. In general this person does nothing to better himself and he just smokes pot every single night. I’ve tried encouraging him to quit but he says he doesn’t think he’ll ever quit and knowing him I’d agree. The thing hat really boils my blood is when has asks me to buy him drugs, I’ve made it clear that I won’t be his plug but he’s just a nicotine fiend. I’ve grown an extreme resentment towards him and honestly I think cutting him off would be the only way to get the point across that I want nothing to do with the drug. The thing is, he is still my best friend and we can talk about anything. He got me into prog and we’ve talked everyday for the last couple years but I don’t like surrounding myself with people who have no sense of fulfillment or drive in life. Even when I was a regular user I still practiced piano 2-3 hours a day and had a life, but it seems the person I am now just isn’t compatible with someone like that and it’s really bothering me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 00:40
^ If he's a true friend, he will respect your wishes to be left alone for a while to assist in your goal to kick the habit. Once you really have quit for good and feel strong and confident in the company of smokers, if he's sincere, he will seek you out (not vice versa) to help him quit his own addictions. (As you will have remained a friend but also become a role model)

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 16:19
Who knew that quitting smoking was actually more satisfying than smoking?

Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 08:34
I'd like to firstly start by congratulating Doug on how far he's got and secondly say that the rest is relatively easy. 

I seem to be the only unrepentant smoker on this thread, but please don't think that I either advocate smoking or am some kind of monster or moral degenerate for doing so: simply put, it's the lesser of many evils I've tried, and some people can't live blameless lives. Me, for one. 

Concerning addiction: it is so good to beat any kind of addiction which holds you in it's thrall. I've lost several good friends to either alcohol or heroin. None of them were bad people, they were just... unlucky. And lost.

My personal bugbear was alcohol. Put it like this, when you can drink three quarters to a bottle of scotch a day and remain sober - well, "sober", then you and your liver have an increasing problem. After three good friends drank themselves to death in their late thirties and early forties, I had an epiphany and haven't had a drink since. Fifteen years dry. I gave up overnight, basically said that's enough. I'll be dead if I do this any longer, I get absolutely no pleasure from it, time to give it up. 

And I think that's the key. If you're ready to give up, giving up is easy. There will be a price to pay. Be prepared to pay it. I used to think it took willpower, but it seemed, for me, anyway, just to take clear thinking and logical thought. Do it or die. 

Of course, some people die. 

However, I made it through it, and God above, did it feel good to be sober afterwards. I made a promise to myself never to even go in a pub again, incidentally. 

Of course, most people here will know that I had a stroke four years ago. It wasn't alcohol or tobacco related, I'd given up both at the time, just a bizarre accident with an artery in my neck. 10,000 to one thing. At that point, two things happened: I had no fear of death, I'd lost so many friends that I knew you could die at 50, easily. (Having been in the Grim Reaper's front room, I've lost all fear of death, incidentally) - and - I knew I had to get better for the sake of my family, at least. So, like with any addiction, where you know you have to do something to change your life, I got moving, I got exercising, I got active and I remained positive with an eventual goal in mind, and I got 98% of the way there. 

There were days, weeks, months when I'd rather have just sat on the sofa, but - no choice. Price to pay, get up and get moving. It's the same with giving up cigarettes or booze, if you really want to do something, if you really want to achieve.... you have to look at the bigger picture and actually keep going. 

It feels good at the end. Three years on, I was such a mess, I'd put on at least 75 pounds through not being fully mobile, I was walking with a stick for a year. Same again as with booze, I thought, right. Time to take charge of my life, I was so overweight (275 lb, six feet) that I developed Type 2 diabetes. 

I'm now 200lb, I am no longer Type 2 diabetic (the nurse is amazed) with plans to lose another 20lb. All done in a year. And I feel so much better. Hard work but worth it. 

Back to the subject. Doug, all here, excuse my rambling and occasionally dabbling with a pipe. Please keep going, you'll do it, it's worth it: anyone can do anything if they set their minds to it. Hope you get there, fella, throwing off the chains is a great thing to do. All the best. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 08:36
PS I'd raise a glass to you, but it's only fizzy juice. ;-) No sugar, either. 

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 09:04
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ If he's a true friend, he will respect your wishes to be left alone for a while to assist in your goal to kick the habit. Once you really have quit for good and feel strong and confident in the company of smokers, if he's sincere, he will seek you out (not vice versa) to help him quit his own addictions. (As you will have remained a friend but also become a role model)

True, sincere friendship? Kind of like a concept from another, long-gone era.

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 11:39

I'd like to firstly start by congratulating Doug on how far he's got and secondly say that the rest is relatively easy. 

I seem to be the only unrepentant smoker on this thread, but please don't think that I either advocate smoking or am some kind of monster or moral degenerate for doing so: simply put, it's the lesser of many evils I've tried, and some people can't live blameless lives. Me, for one. 

Concerning addiction: it is so good to beat any kind of addiction which holds you in it's thrall. I've lost several good friends to either alcohol or heroin. None of them were bad people, they were just... unlucky. And lost.

My personal bugbear was alcohol. Put it like this, when you can drink three quarters to a bottle of scotch a day and remain sober - well, "sober", then you and your liver have an increasing problem. After three good friends drank themselves to death in their late thirties and early forties, I had an epiphany and haven't had a drink since. Fifteen years dry. I gave up overnight, basically said that's enough. I'll be dead if I do this any longer, I get absolutely no pleasure from it, time to give it up. 

And I think that's the key. If you're ready to give up, giving up is easy. There will be a price to pay. Be prepared to pay it. I used to think it took willpower, but it seemed, for me, anyway, just to take clear thinking and logical thought. Do it or die. 

Of course, some people die. 

However, I made it through it, and God above, did it feel good to be sober afterwards. I made a promise to myself never to even go in a pub again, incidentally. 

Of course, most people here will know that I had a stroke four years ago. It wasn't alcohol or tobacco related, I'd given up both at the time, just a bizarre accident with an artery in my neck. 10,000 to one thing. At that point, two things happened: I had no fear of death, I'd lost so many friends that I knew you could die at 50, easily. (Having been in the Grim Reaper's front room, I've lost all fear of death, incidentally) - and - I knew I had to get better for the sake of my family, at least. So, like with any addiction, where you know you have to do something to change your life, I got moving, I got exercising, I got active and I remained positive with an eventual goal in mind, and I got 98% of the way there. 

There were days, weeks, months when I'd rather have just sat on the sofa, but - no choice. Price to pay, get up and get moving. It's the same with giving up cigarettes or booze, if you really want to do something, if you really want to achieve.... you have to look at the bigger picture and actually keep going. 

It feels good at the end. Three years on, I was such a mess, I'd put on at least 75 pounds through not being fully mobile, I was walking with a stick for a year. Same again as with booze, I thought, right. Time to take charge of my life, I was so overweight (275 lb, six feet) that I developed Type 2 diabetes. 

I'm now 200lb, I am no longer Type 2 diabetic (the nurse is amazed) with plans to lose another 20lb. All done in a year. And I feel so much better. Hard work but worth it. 

Back to the subject. Doug, all here, excuse my rambling and occasionally dabbling with a pipe. Please keep going, you'll do it, it's worth it: anyone can do anything if they set their minds to it. Hope you get there, fella, throwing off the chains is a great thing to do. All the best. 
A really good and honest self-assessment, Dave.  People generally have a hard time critically looking at themselves, you've done a great job of it and also continued to be supportive of Doug's struggle, while understanding what you do or do not want to give up.  And why.  You may change your mind someday re the smoking that you do, but, hey, as Richard Thompson said, though, "Life is just as deadly as it looks."  For the meantime, giving up that alcohol habit you had probably has given you a much longer time on the planet than you had potential for, before.  

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 11:42

I’ve been thinking I might have to drop one of my best friends due to his extreme vaping habits. In general this person does nothing to better himself and he just smokes pot every single night. I’ve tried encouraging him to quit but he says he doesn’t think he’ll ever quit and knowing him I’d agree. The thing hat really boils my blood is when has asks me to buy him drugs, I’ve made it clear that I won’t be his plug but he’s just a nicotine fiend. I’ve grown an extreme resentment towards him and honestly I think cutting him off would be the only way to get the point across that I want nothing to do with the drug. The thing is, he is still my best friend and we can talk about anything. He got me into prog and we’ve talked everyday for the last couple years but I don’t like surrounding myself with people who have no sense of fulfillment or drive in life. Even when I was a regular user I still practiced piano 2-3 hours a day and had a life, but it seems the person I am now just isn’t compatible with someone like that and it’s really bothering me.
Absolutely.  If he's a real friend, he'll be around for you when you're ready.  I do think he deserves to know why you have to cut the cord (not in a confrontational way, just that you are having trouble sticking to your guns re quitting), at least for a while, and it may make him think about what he's doing to himself.  If not, you've done your best.  For both of you.

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 12:07
Snicolette + Nicorette? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Snicolette + Nicorette? LOL
  :D    First husband was "Joe," I used to call us "Josephine and Nicotine."  :D  And did use Nicorette a bit when I quit for good.  :D

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 04:03
Hi Snicolette, thanks. ;-)

I don't think me giving up smoking will happen any time soon. ;-)

This and 15 tins of tobacco two feet away. ;-) 

On a more serious note, I enjoy smoking, don't do it to excess, and (previous experience) I know I can give up easily. For me, it's more an "enjoyable hobby" than an addiction. An addiction is, for example, drinking six beers, and a bottle and a half of vodka with your Russian mates, going to work after four hours sleep, coming home wasted and doing it all over again. 

The Russian word for an alcoholic is "Bomzh", which literally means "destroyed". ("Bust", really.) What I'd honestly say is that you can indeed do things which are unhealthy but enjoyable (Cream cake, anyone ? ) - as soon as it becomes unhealthy and not enjoyable, it's time to stop. 

With some people, the normal "stop" reflex seems to be missing. I've sat there and watched not opiates or alcohol destroying friends, but... themselves. It's not being morally degenerate or weak willed, it's just that some people are made like that. It's like watching a long, slow car crash which you can see coming miles off but are powerless to intervene in. 

So. Excuse me whilst I indulge in social leprosy and puff away, but it's doing so hoping that anyone who really wants to stop smoking makes it. Addictions, at the end of the day, are both dangerous and utterly boring and pointless. 

Doug, I think that what will help you stop putting a cigarette in your mouth ever again is one thing. It's not "willpower". It's "logic. "

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 04:11
PS I found those Nicorette patches really hard to light. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 04:14

PS I found those Nicorette patches really hard to light. 
LOL I was not having a good start to my day Dave, and that certainly lightened my mood. Thanks, my friend. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 04:22
Glad to spread a little happiness, Steve. ;-)

Oh yes, great reason to stop smoking.

"Money". 

I was smoking a whole new guitar a month at one stage. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 08:45

Hi Snicolette, thanks. ;-)

I don't think me giving up smoking will happen any time soon. ;-)

This and 15 tins of tobacco two feet away. ;-) 

On a more serious note, I enjoy smoking, don't do it to excess, and (previous experience) I know I can give up easily. For me, it's more an "enjoyable hobby" than an addiction. An addiction is, for example, drinking six beers, and a bottle and a half of vodka with your Russian mates, going to work after four hours sleep, coming home wasted and doing it all over again. 

The Russian word for an alcoholic is "Bomzh", which literally means "destroyed". ("Bust", really.) What I'd honestly say is that you can indeed do things which are unhealthy but enjoyable (Cream cake, anyone ? ) - as soon as it becomes unhealthy and not enjoyable, it's time to stop. 

With some people, the normal "stop" reflex seems to be missing. I've sat there and watched not opiates or alcohol destroying friends, but... themselves. It's not being morally degenerate or weak willed, it's just that some people are made like that. It's like watching a long, slow car crash which you can see coming miles off but are powerless to intervene in. 

So. Excuse me whilst I indulge in social leprosy and puff away, but it's doing so hoping that anyone who really wants to stop smoking makes it. Addictions, at the end of the day, are both dangerous and utterly boring and pointless. 

Doug, I think that what will help you stop putting a cigarette in your mouth ever again is one thing. It's not "willpower". It's "logic. "

And it is absolutely your right to indulge in whatever you wish.  It sounds like you're smoking more moderately than most can do.  And those are some beautiful pipes.  Me, I do like a glass of wine.  Or a couple.  But not more than that.  We all have things that make life more enjoyable for us, or we should, for life is meant to be enjoyed....but also, not squandered (for those that choose to do that, I do feel sorrow).

-------------

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 09:17

I don't have any advice on kicking this brutally additive habit. The only way that I have been able to stop smoking is by playing a mind game with myself. It's terrifying for me to say that I've quit so I just say that I've given cigarettes a break. A break that's lasted since 2013. You have to find what works for you.
I also used a similar mind game of my own; telling myself that I could have a cigarette again as soon as I didn't want it anymore. Sounds like it doesn't make much sense but I needed it as an assurance that I wouldn't have to hold off forever, and it worked!

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 09:29
^ Clap Yeah buddy! Whatever works!

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 09:51
What I've found is that addiction is made worse by people thinking what they're addicted to is bigger than what it actually is. 

My good friend, Derek, loved cigarettes. Cigarettes were his life. There was nothing bigger than cigarettes. They were absolutely everything. 

One day, I missed my bus back from work and Derek, a really nice fella, said come on, Dave, I'll give you a lift back. Got to go to town, anyway. So we get in Derek's little car, he has an oxygen tank in the back and an air conditioner which makes it unbearably warm and dry, as he has COPD and 13% lung capacity. 

We drive to town, I know better than to start a conversation off with Derek as he doesn't have the breath for it. 

"Just be a minute" says Derek, as we pull into the car park of a big shopping centre. "Just going to get some cigarettes". 

"Derek, I'll get them for you", I say, knowing he can barely walk. He'll get them anyway. 

"Oh, no no. " says Derek. He gets out of the car and shuffles the hundred yards to the shop, shuffles back with 800 cigarettes. Takes 20 minutes. 

I sat there thinking, why doesn't he quit ? Everyone did, really. But he didn't. Two weeks later, Derek had a setback and had to be admitted to hospital as his breathing was getting more laboured. He was in for six weeks, during which time, work had to retire him on medical grounds. He got a good settlement. We'd all pop around to see him, cut the ivy around his windows, do the shopping for him, we'd call him every few days to make sure he was OK. He was a really nice bloke, we were all very fond of him.

E-mailed him one day and said well, you're missing nothing at work, Derek ! - back came the reply, "Cheers, Dave, getting really difficult to breathe, never had it this bad before. Sorry for a short mail, see you soon."

One day, Stuey came up to me and said Dave, Derek's not answering his phone. We tried calling a few times, having not spoken to him for a week. "Stu, you've got Derek's daughter's number, haven't you ? " I said. We rang his daughter: I already knew what the answer would be. Sadly, I was right. 

He'd died the day I received the e-mail. The funeral was the next day, we all went to management and said the five of us will not be in tomorrow. And frankly, neither should you. The look on our faces said that we attended the funeral or they could throw the book at us. 

We attended the funeral, so did management, to their credit. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. 

Afterwards, one of the bosses, Tony, came up to me and said why didn't he quit ? No one knew and it took me years to realise that Derek loved his cigarettes. They were utterly, totally everything to him. Instead of being little paper tubes full of burning dried plants, he blew them up to be his entire life. And death, sadly. 

It's only a cigarette, it's only a drink, whatever. Your life is much bigger and more important and the thing you think is so important..... actually isn't. 

I still miss Derek, he's been gone nearly ten years now. And I have God knows how many stories like this, mainly around drugs or drink. Any death like this through addiction is just a tragic waste. They're not all avoidable, and God knows I wish they were. People don't listen. 

If you take the first step to give up something which is doing you harm, you need someone who can help you go all the way to being clean. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 11:43
Logic is not what is needed to quit tobacco. Someone saying they could quit easily but they don't is ridiculous. Quitting smoking is very much about willpower.

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:48
I've never heard anyone say that they could quit smoking easily, they only say it about liquor. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 17:27
A sobering story Dave.. I think we're of a comparable age (mid 50's) and I could tell a few very similar stories from my life. I stopped smoking tobacco in my mid 20's when my daughter was born.. I actually hated it, it made me sick and dizzy and have cold sweats and to be totally frank, got into smoking roll-ups from smoking joints! Ive meandered in and out of a bit of dope smoking over the years then went on to just occasionally enjoying it baked into something.. With drink, ive always enjoyed the odd glass or two (and make my own wine, have done for years) but just get woozy and nauseous long before I get drunk.. ive been lucky I guess in that ive always been able to manage these 'pleasures' in my life and never let them get the better of me.. 

But I do admire your pipes!! I think they look really cool and the look and smell of pipe tobacco remind me of my paternal grandfather and being a small boy so associated with nice memoriesSmile

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 03:52
Timothy Leary 

Logic is exactly what you need to quit smoking. Willpower is not what you need, if you're not convinced you should stop, the willpower is neither here nor there. Also nicotine is NOT addictive, it is habituating. There is a difference. 

With most addicts, there's a "moment of clarity". Logic tells you it's damaging you and you should stop. Willpower AND logic keep you stopped. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

A sobering story Dave.. I think we're of a comparable age (mid 50's) and I could tell a few very similar stories from my life. I stopped smoking tobacco in my mid 20's when my daughter was born.. I actually hated it, it made me sick and dizzy and have cold sweats and to be totally frank, got into smoking roll-ups from smoking joints! Ive meandered in and out of a bit of dope smoking over the years then went on to just occasionally enjoying it baked into something.. With drink, ive always enjoyed the odd glass or two (and make my own wine, have done for years) but just get woozy and nauseous long before I get drunk.. ive been lucky I guess in that ive always been able to manage these 'pleasures' in my life and never let them get the better of me.. 

But I do admire your pipes!! I think they look really cool and the look and smell of pipe tobacco remind me of my paternal grandfather and being a small boy so associated with nice memoriesSmile

Hi Cosmiclawnmower - thanks. Yes, we're both in our fifties, and of course, this is what happens. That was just one story, there are so many we could come up with.

I've walked into the pub, asked where one of my best mates was and been told he was dead, heroin, no one knew he was using, just started, miscalculated the dose, found by his mum, funeral was yesterday. Did no one tell you ? Literally dozens of stories like that. 

As I've got older, I've realised you have to start taking care of yourself. At some point, the party has to end and here comes the pipe and slippers. (No slippers as yet. ;-) ) 

One thing I absolutely hate, however, is that most addicts - of whatever substance - are pictured by society as weak or degenerate or all thieves or "lower members of society". Not the case. What particularly galls me is that smokers are now treated as worse than lepers. Yeah, well, that'll really do a lot of good. Worryingly, anti vaping sentiment is now coming along, so it seems that the intolerant will stop people vaping and going back to tobacco. Tobacco can much more easily kill you than vaping. Vaping is nowhere near the health risk of cigarettes. And these are your sons, daughters, parents, relatives and friends who are getting forced back into entrenched habits, of course. 

I also find that non smokers tend to usually talk sh*te about why people smoke, what's addictive, what's not, how to quit and how morally inferior smokers are. It's usually a sign of a deeper intolerance on all levels. 

Anyway. That's my $0.02. Based on 42 years of smoking (yep, started very early). Good luck to anyone who wants to give up any form of addiction. It can be done. It can be easy or hard, but it can be done unless you're one of the very unlucky ones with a personality or habits which preclude you doing it. End of the day, a cigarette is - real world - a paper tube containing burning plants, the smoke of which you inhale. That's all it is, if you make it more than that, you're inflating the problem. You can do anything you set your mind to, at the end of the day. Decide and do. 

No cigarettes, three days for your body to adjust. You're then clear of nicotine. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 04:27
Here's a good argument for stopping smoking. Money. 

Average UK cigarette price, £10.80 per pack, ie £324 per 30 day month. 

Gretsch Electromatic Streamliner, £341. Two Filtertrons, nice. Buy the Gretsch, then you can't smoke for just over a month. ;-) At the end of it, problem solved, you've probably broken the habit. If not, buy a Tokai Love Rock. Nice Violin burst. If not, get some Creamery humbuckers to replace the stock Tokai ones. Etc etc etc. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:16
After 50 years of smoking I quit and now some guy who still smokes wants to tell me what is needed to stop smoking.

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 02:18
Think about it.

Without the logic and clear thought of "I'm not smoking any more, it's bad for my health and wallet" you never get the chance to use "willpower". 

Willpower comes later. When you've used the logic of "I'm not smoking any more, I've given up, it's bad for me". 

It's called "a moment of clarity", well known condition with addicts. 

What also helps is to see cigarettes as just objects, rather than things of massive importance and "lifestyle". 

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 10:39
Okay, next time I need to quit I will use logic

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I think that Dave just meant that reasoning out why you should stop is important. Addictive drugs, at least to me, are so tricky in that part of their influence is to  f*** with you psychologically. Why else would people who never get into a car without putting on a seat belt, immediately light up after doing so? It's quite insane when you step back and consider that. 

Having a list of reasons for not smoking must surely help. The health effects, the money spent which is considerable, the feeling that something has control over, etc. A combination of logic and willpower seems the best bet when quitting.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:30
Thank you for the extensive reply and encouragement dave! I'm sorry to hear about your struggles but it sound's like you've really worked hard to better yourself and it seems its payed off.

I'm just under a month off of it now (4 days to go). While I still get minor cravings here and there, it's become very tolerable. To best describe my experience, quitting a drug can be compared to losing a loved one. You eventually learn to live your life without them/it, but you'll always have that thought in the back of your mind and it wont ever really be the same. Or at least I haven't reached that point yet. For me I couldn't really trick my brain to do anything, I just had to push myself. Gonna go off on a bit of a tangent.

I'm a young guy (18)but I've had some other struggles in my life that taught me the discipline needed for something like this. I've been overweight and I've been anorexic and I pushed myself extremely hard physically and mentally to dig myself out of those ruts. I think my strongest quality is that I trust myself to make the best decision for myself, even if it seems extremely spontaneous or ridiculous. I joined the track team as an out of shape overweight 8th grader and went from the slowest on the team and butt of all the jokes to running a 4:53 mile (1600m) in 2 years. I quit track when I was at my best ever because my heart wasn't in it anymore and I could no longer force myself to keep up a dead passion. When I quit I lost all my friends and connections. At this point I was 120 pounds (anorexic with a bad eating disorder and body dysmorphia) and I started going to the gym daily. My own parents were even vehemently against this, I remember my dad once saying "I would have never got you that gym membership if I knew you would quit track." I didn't care, I was lonely but I had something to prove. I bulked up till I was in the best shape of my life. I even decided to rejoin the track team for my final year of high school and had my best season ever. Deciding to go cold turkey was one of those things that I just knew I had to do. I feel like this has been another important event in my life that showed me that I still got it in me to push myself and be disciplined. Of course, theres no correct way to quit a drug, as long as the result is the same the means of getting there don't matter too much. 

I'm indifferent on pot use, I took 2 weeks off and felt really good. However recently I've gotten back into it and i'm finding that the effects are slowburn and buildup over time. It kind of messes with your reward system, but smoking a joint while listening to some sabbath or a visit to newport hospital is admittedly a lot of fun. To follow up on the friend I mentioned. I must've been having some cranky withdrawals when I typed that, because I no longer resent him and he is my best friend and I know neither of us really want to see that end over something like this.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 15:15
Tobacco is addictive, when you quit your body will crave it for a while IMHO.

Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 04:26

Tobacco is addictive, when you quit your body will crave it for a while IMHO.

I'm in broad agreement with this but I think Davesax1965 is simply pointing out there is a broad historical consensus in the medical community that some substances can more readily lead to addiction while others can be restricted to habituation: (but the lines are blurred by different personality types and there is no hard and fast agreement as to which substances belong to which category)

Addiction - can produce tolerance (higher doses are required over time to produce the same effect) and physical dependency (where biochemical and physiological changes at the cellular level occur to cope with the stress of withdrawal) e.g. Morphine, heroin, opiates, and to a lesser extent codeine, alcohol, and barbiturates etc

Habituation - caffeine, nicotine, bromide, cocaine, speed and other stimulants, and certain tranquilizers and sedatives (depressants) are not normally taken in sufficient amounts to result in physiological changes at the cellular level. They typically but not necessarily induce a strong need or craving emotionally or psychologically without producing the physical dependence that is associated with so-called 'hard' addiction.

Having gone through the trauma of quitting smoking, I'm not even remotely prepared to be lectured by anyone who claims my symptoms were figments of my imagination that by simply exercising logic could have been prevented. Also, most smokers smoke more gradually over time before they stop, so for me, contrary to the conventional wisdom quoted above, nicotine did produce tolerance.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:29
Indeed. If I just point out that the NHS in the UK - the National Health Service - classifies nicotine as "mildly addictive". Yes, it requires willpower to stop smoking, the nicotine disappears in three days from your system - as Doug says, it's like a bereavement. You firstly have to want to stop smoking (logic) as it's doing you harm and then (mix of willpower and logic) you have to decide not to keep putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them. 

The reason logic is important is that people can actually reach you and convince you if you're on a current logical bent. And they can also help you. Just saying "Use willpower" is not much help. "Think about it, do something else, spend the money on something else" is more useful. 

However. It's not solely about nicotine, but the tars and chemicals in tobacco which are a health risk. 

There is a *massive* amount of disinformation about tobacco use and vaping - the Guardian ran an excellent article on it a few days ago.  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/18/the-great-vape-debate-are-e-cigarettes-saving-smokers-or-creating-new-addicts?" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/18/the-great-vape-debate-are-e-cigarettes-saving-smokers-or-creating-new-addicts?

What you read depends on who is trying to prove what point. There are very few truly neutral reviews - "smoking causes statistics". 

There's no doubt, of course, that cigarettes damage your health. Please don't think I advocate smoking. Too many dead friends and relatives. But follow that argument and you also ban motorcycles. 

Well done to anyone who's given up. Hats off to them.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:48
Incidentally. Just read a funny one. Someone I vaguely know (a pensioner) on a pipe forum - pipe smoker - invites his cigarette smoking mate around for the weekend. He falls asleep. 

His "mate" spots a 30 gram packet of pipe tobacco on the table, and without so much as a kiss my ar$e, proceeds to smoke the lot - a week's worth - in three hours. Since pipe tobacco is very difficult to get to light, the only way he can do this is to use rolling paper and make it into huge cigars. 

Pipe smoker wakes up, all tobacco gone, none until next pension cheque. So. He "accidentally" spills hot coffee on his cigarette smoking "mate" and then says perhaps you'd better go home. 

Alas. This is what addiction does to some folks. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:52
^ Some friend! I would have spilled my coffee on him too. And the cream! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:54
Well, we all had to laugh, Steve. ;-)

I've had mates like that. Short term basis, of course. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:55
When I was a youngster, I got a job at a factory that used steam for everything. There were signs all over that said "Caution: Steam Kills". Sounds like that's come around again with vaping. It seems so innocent until people start dying.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:57

You already did. And willpower. Well done. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 09:59

When I was a youngster, I got a job at a factory that used steam for everything. There were signs all over that said "Caution: Steam Kills". Sounds like that's come around again with vaping. It seems so innocent until people start dying.

95% safe compared to tobacco, Steve. Most vaping deaths have been caused by people vaping cannabinoid derivatives. A lot of it is being deliberately blown out of proportion. The Guardian article above is well worth a read, one of the few decent and well balanced articles I've read on it in years. 

But that's another post. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 10:07

95% safe compared to tobacco, Steve. Most vaping deaths have been caused by people vaping cannabinoid derivatives. A lot of it is being deliberately blown out of proportion. The Guardian article above is well worth a read, one of the few decent and well balanced articles I've read on it in years. 

I've been getting two stories. The cannabinoid (say that three times fast) and some kind of vitamin E component that's used in it's manufacturing, with both said to be the the cause of people getting ill.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 13:01

I agree here, but there are times that I think this "prohibition" in the States is more about something else ... the richest have no money invested in that industry, so they want to create as much of a hassle and prevents, until such a time as they can buy out the originals (that's coming in the next 3 years ... bet me!) ... and then change the law with a fake filter for this or that!

I wonder if it has been like that for hundreds of years!

PS. I quit smoking almost 4 months ago, and have had no bad reactions. I had quit before some 40 years ago when I was playing tennis regularly and helping in several workshops. Restarted about 10 years ago, and quitting, this time ... was easy ... 1, 2, 3, ... done! No emotional hangups, no bullsheepdip ... I just didn't feel the need for it anymore!

Ciao baby ... ohhh, my pocket has a couple of extra bucks ... should I take my chances once or twice in the lottery?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 14:47
Today marks one month off the drug. However, for some reason today I’m having some of my worst cravings and withdrawals. It seems strange but I feel like I’m going crazy right now.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 14:53
Look, you're at PA, so you are crazy! Smile 

Seriously, it will pass. Just stick with it and try not to do things that are triggers. Easier said then done, but do somethings that you don't usually do.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 19:59
I don't know about nicotine addiction at least as far as being hooked on it myself.  My parents and grandparents are from Carrollton, KY (the state and not the jelly Tongue) It's where the Kentucky River empties into the Ohio.  There were, when I was a kid, and probably still are a sh*tload of tobacco drying warehouses.  My parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles all smoked.  Neither my brother, sister, nor I ever took up the habit and for that I am grateful.  I just wanted to put in the good word for SMART Recovery (redundant, but what the hell).  That acronym is for Self Management And Recovery Training.  It's a science based approach to substance and other forms of addiction. I am there for alcohol.  Anyway, if this helps anyone out they are on the web.  http://www.smartrecovery.org" rel="nofollow - http://www.smartrecovery.org

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 02:38

Today marks one month off the drug. However, for some reason today I’m having some of my worst cravings and withdrawals. It seems strange but I feel like I’m going crazy right now.

Just need more music to keep you going. New stuff is better than the old stuff for these things in my case ... I love the thrill of finding something new that is far out!

Clap

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 03:49
Hey Doug, don't worry, you'll be OK. This is normal. 

Nicotine is a neurotransmitter. Basically, it's like having extra voltage in your brain: remove it and there's a kind of voltage drop, so it gets mode confusing to think straight. You've probably noticed. Now, the good news is that after about 72 hours of not smoking, the cravings mainly subside (no nicotine left in your system, it's all been metabolised) BUT the brain keeps going where's my nicotine ? for quite some time. "I was on nitromethane, now I'm on diesel, give me nicotine, you ba$tard" etc etc. 

So, what you have is nothing unusual but a perfectly normal reaction. Don't worry, you're not special. ;-) 

The way to cure it, possibly, is to treat it as merely an irritating itch. "If you scratch it, it'll only get worse". Two ways to go, either wait for a while, and yes, it's unpleasant, but your brain will adapt, or to feed it nicotine. In which case the brain says AHA give me more, more, because brains are like that and back you go to the top of the rollercoaster again. And again. And again. 

Now, if it gets really, really bad, a good method is not to go cold turkey but to let yourself down slowly. Get an e-cigarette, get some 18mg nicotine vape mix, quick toke. You'll be surprised at how little you need to stop your mind flying out of the window. Really, just an occasional toke. You then reduce it to a 12mg dose, then a 10mg, 8 6, 2... before you know it, the nicotine receptors in your brain have normalised to a lower level of expectation. It's like putting a lobster in a fridge. Sort of. 

Either jam on the brakes, or slow down in stages. No matter what, you eventually end up stopping. 

So. In summary, don't worry. It's normal. You're not special or anything. It'll pass. You can use WILLPOWER (and if you don't have enough, see you back in Smoke Land) (let's hope you do) or take the (logical) ahem easy route and slowly, but surely, wean yourself off nicotine. It's not failure, you're achieving the same result, albeit more gradually. People fail to do things when they say none shall pass, never again: it can just be too extreme a solution. Who cares what you do so long as you get there in the end ?

So hopefully that helps. 

Incidentally.... just an aside but "one month off the drug" tends to hint that you're looking at it as "drug addiction". That's a bit ... extreme. People wind themselves up to regard cigarettes as being some kind of gigantic, deadly monster with which they have to fight some kind of enormous battle. They're really not, end of the day, cigarettes are habituating and merely paper tubes with dead plants in. To regard them otherwise makes the whole process into a giant struggle. It needn't be. Coming off them causes mild (I'm afraid it really is mild) withdrawal symptoms, which are really no worse than a bad cold: they won't kill you. The symptoms can be managed and WILL pass. Good luck. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 04:11
I think this is why some people fail to quit smoking. They rely on WILLPOWER. 

When WILLPOWER is unequal to the task in hand, they give up. After some time, they go back and apply MORE WILLPOWER, winding themselves up to believe it's a massive task, much more difficult than they thought. 

MORE WILLPOWER doesn't work, so they try again, except this time the problem has got even bigger, in their minds. Eventually, they give up. 

But. They're just using the wrong methods and keeping on repeating a methodology which doesn't work. Lots of people have actually given up cigarettes by not applying WILLPOWER but a different route instead, ie. let yourself down slowly using e-cigarettes if necessary. 

If the end result is that it works, rather than doesn't, well. The ends justifies the means. Ain't failure, it's common sense. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 09:22

I think this is why some people fail to quit smoking. They rely on WILLPOWER. 
But. They're just using the wrong methods and keeping on repeating a methodology which doesn't work. Lots of people have actually given up cigarettes by not applying WILLPOWER but a different route instead, ie. let yourself down slowly using e-cigarettes if necessary. 

If the end result is that it works, rather than doesn't, well. The ends justifies the means. Ain't failure, it's common sense. 

A psychic friend of mine in Australia, dang ... a PHD now!!! ... used to say it funny ... you look for a box to help you, and when you done with that box, you look for another box, and then another box ... and he used to say ... there is an inherent problem there ... there is no box to get rid of the box-creating process ... and ... you get stuck!

For me, no excuses, or thoughts is the decision maker ... has nothing to do with anything else, other than feeling a bit healthier (at 69? like the doctors care!), but in general, the medical usage and costs are the same even without the purchases of the smokes!

I like to say ... you either do it or you don't. Case closed!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 22 2020 at 12:50
And there you have it......advice on how to quit cigarettes from a smoker who has yet to quit

Date Posted: February 25 2020 at 22:41

And there you have it......advice on how to quit cigarettes from a smoker who has yet to quit

Hi,

You're probably not gonna like the answer ... look in the mirror. 

It's an 'acting" trick used in theater and film ... and in the end, you find ... what do I want to see and work with, which is helpful in defining and creating a "character" ... but in this case, and this time, it is about you ... not anything else!

Handshake

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 26 2020 at 02:18

And there you have it, a childish response from someone who doesn't like to be crossed. Or hasn't thought about it beyond "willpower". There's more to it than that. 

Actually, the thread is about addiction, not giving up smoking, the clue being in the title. I gave up for three years at one point, it wasn't very pleasant at first, but I gradually totally forgot I was ever a smoker. After a few years, I realised that tobacco (for me) was nothing like alcohol. I could have the occasional smoke, without it completely taking my life over. 

Addiction is about NOT being in control. That's the big weight on the shoulders - that you'll keep smoking, even through ill health, financial pressure, whatever. You'll turn around with a cigarette magically appeared in your hand. You'll smoke six before breakfast and cough your way through the day. You'll painfully trudge your way up a hill or even the stairs, coughing, with a cigarette in your hand. That's addiction. Been there. Not there any longer. 

So now, as in the thread, I have a very few cigarettes a day, 4 or 5. I get no nicotine cravings or withdrawals. I'm in control, not the tobacco. I can do without for days. Having been addicted and now addicted no longer, that qualifies me to actually make an observation. 

Let's face it, life is short. If you want a cigarette: have a cigarette. The key is "not to excess".

Occasionally won't kill you. If you're scared that "occasionally" will lead to "20 a day a week later", then that's a different conversation. 

But "never again shall I smoke" seems to me to be a way to set yourself up for a fall later. "Never again shall I be addicted" is probably a more sensible way of doing things. If you can. If not, avoid cigarettes entirely. I've done the same with alcohol, different subject for me. Although I can occasionally go out and just have three or four beers. I found that I don't like alcohol very much, bizarrely. 

It's something like telling a man who's lost weight "You're never having a burger ever again". Unrealistic. Hopefully there's an element of logic where someone says wooo, well, I can have a burger again, but I just can't have 15,000. 

Oh yeah, "about the pipe". Very little nicotine in pipe tobacco. And you smoke quality, not quantity. Most pipe smokers want nothing to do at all with cigarettes. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, "Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion."

If you honestly believe that "quit" means "not one more ever again", that's a total extreme view and it's setting yourself up for a potential fall and regression. 

-------------

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:40

Might be an offbeat topic, but I’m curious if any of you have experience in quitting nicotine addictions or habits. I, like many people my age (18) got hooked on vaping a while ago and after realizing it was just making me feel lethargic and sh*tty, I went cold turkey 10 days ago. Still the cravings and withdrawal have been really awful and honestly haven’t been getting better. So if some of you have stories I could use some motivation. Obviously quitting cigs is harder, but this has been one of the most difficult things I’ve done in my life.

I smoked for about 15 years. I was up to 2 packs a day when I finally decided to quit. I tried cold turkey, but was unsuccessful. Then I realized that there were many times I had to postpone the next cigarette for a short time because I was, for example, in a non-smoking area. We (smokers) have all been there. The pain of waiting that extra 15-30 minutes after the first urge hit me was not all that bad. So I put on my wristwatch and timed the interval between normal light-ups. Let's say it was 30 minutes. I'd increase that to 45 minutes, and not light up more often than every 45 minutes. I'd continue that for days -- maybe as much as a week. Eventually, the 45 min interval felt normal. No urges to light up more often. Then I'd increase it to 60 min, and keep that interval for a several days. Then 90 min. Then 2 hr. Then 3 hr. Then 4 hr. The trick is to keep your eye on your watch. When you extinguish a butt, look at your watch and mentally set the next light-up time. Don't light up before then. (Knowing that time will elapse and you'll eventually get your "reward" really helps with the mental anguish). After several weeks, I was down to just two cigarettes a day, then I quit completely. It was many days of a little discomfort, rather than the sharp, physical and mental agony of cold turkey - which this weakling couldn't handle. I haven't smoked since.

Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

You're probably not gonna like the answer ... look in the mirror. 

It's an 'acting" trick used in theater and film ... and in the end, you find ... what do I want to see and work with, which is helpful in defining and creating a "character" ... but in this case, and this time, it is about you ... not anything else!

Handshake
Your post makes no sense to me

Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 13:22

And there you have it, a childish response from someone who doesn't like to be crossed. Or hasn't thought about it beyond "willpower". There's more to it than that. 

Actually, the thread is about addiction, not giving up smoking, the clue being in the title. I gave up for three years at one point, it wasn't very pleasant at first, but I gradually totally forgot I was ever a smoker. After a few years, I realised that tobacco (for me) was nothing like alcohol. I could have the occasional smoke, without it completely taking my life over. 

Addiction is about NOT being in control. That's the big weight on the shoulders - that you'll keep smoking, even through ill health, financial pressure, whatever. You'll turn around with a cigarette magically appeared in your hand. You'll smoke six before breakfast and cough your way through the day. You'll painfully trudge your way up a hill or even the stairs, coughing, with a cigarette in your hand. That's addiction. Been there. Not there any longer. 

So now, as in the thread, I have a very few cigarettes a day, 4 or 5. I get no nicotine cravings or withdrawals. I'm in control, not the tobacco. I can do without for days. Having been addicted and now addicted no longer, that qualifies me to actually make an observation. 

Let's face it, life is short. If you want a cigarette: have a cigarette. The key is "not to excess".

Occasionally won't kill you. If you're scared that "occasionally" will lead to "20 a day a week later", then that's a different conversation. 

But "never again shall I smoke" seems to me to be a way to set yourself up for a fall later. "Never again shall I be addicted" is probably a more sensible way of doing things. If you can. If not, avoid cigarettes entirely. I've done the same with alcohol, different subject for me. Although I can occasionally go out and just have three or four beers. I found that I don't like alcohol very much, bizarrely. 

It's something like telling a man who's lost weight "You're never having a burger ever again". Unrealistic. Hopefully there's an element of logic where someone says wooo, well, I can have a burger again, but I just can't have 15,000. 

Oh yeah, "about the pipe". Very little nicotine in pipe tobacco. And you smoke quality, not quantity. Most pipe smokers want nothing to do at all with cigarettes. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, "Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion."

If you honestly believe that "quit" means "not one more ever again", that's a total extreme view and it's setting yourself up for a potential fall and regression. 
Seems you are getting personal with your "childish " remarks. This is just a forum. If the original poster likes your strategy for quitting smoking so be it. personally your strategy does not sound like quitting smoking to me. Your mantra of pipes are a religion sounds like a copout. Smoking is smoking and quitting is quitting.

Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 17:45
I have advanced COPD. I am dying of it so excuse me if I am not going to sugarcoat or beat around the bush. I smoked for 50 years and this is the result. I have not smoked for 3 years but the outcome did not change. Do yourselves a favor and quit a behavior that will kill you no ifs and or buts. Childish, I wish I was.

Date Posted: March 01 2020 at 14:00
I get your points Dave, especially about kicking addiction vs quitting smoking. For me though, completely quitting both, we'll substitute vaping in for me, took a lot of will power.

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2020 at 19:05
in 8 days it'll be six months since I trashed the Nic-Stick (Vape) cold turkey and quit nicotine. For a good 2 months I had bad cravings daily. It was not a linear improvement, one week would look alright and the next would really suck, but i'm happy to report that I never even think about it or get cravings anymore. I've smoked a couple cigars with friends here and there in this time, that's good fun for a special occasion. I even hit a friends vape around 4 months in. However, it only reminded me and reaffirmed why I quit, I expected a great buzz but it was truly underwhelming and I felt pretty terrible afterwards. I don't regret it though, cause like I said, it really made me remember why I quit and why I have to never touch one of those things again. I also quit caffeine (Coffee) cold turkey around 10 days ago and i'm feeling pretty good all around, tired, but good.

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:30
Well, congratulations!  

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 13:50
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/tobacco-nicotine-e-cigarettes/nicotine-addictive

Posted By: gCairns
Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:21
I also have this addiction. I try to quit, but not successful yet. It's been five months already. I watched all those horrible videos, read a book and listened to podcasts. But it seems to me, I'll forget about all that soon. I'm now replacing the cigarettes with nicotine gums from the  https://www.canadadrugsdirect.com/online-pharmacy" rel="nofollow - online pharmacy . Idk if I’ll go this way to the end, but I hope so.

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:36
And back we are on drugabuse.gov and addiction rather than habituation. 

-------------

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 08:06
I smoke long size Parliament Night Blue cigarettes. Since my 20s, I enjoyed tobaccos (mostly Drum, Golden Virginia and Captain Black's various products), but for about 3-4 years, I'm an addict. I enjoy smoking, so no problem for me here. 

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 08:40
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I smoke long size Parliament Night Blue cigarettes. Since my 20s, I enjoyed tobaccos (mostly Drum, Golden Virginia and Captain Black's various products), but for about 3-4 years, I'm an addict. I enjoy smoking, so no problem for me here. 
I'm an ex-smoker with lung cancer, so now not smoking is 'no problem'. You'll get there some day.

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 09:38
It took me 10 years on-off quitting. I haven´t had a smoke since November 2019, and I seldom miss it. It´s only when I get pissed drunk that my craving for a smoke starts, but since that rarely happens these days, it´s only been an issue once in the last two years, and even then I didn´t give in to the temptation.

On topic, I´ve tried all sorts of nicotine substitudes, but really you´re just replacing one habit with another. In my opinion there´s only one way...cold turkey. Maybe some therapy (it doesn´t need to be professional, maybe just talks with a friend) to motivate you when it´s getting hard.

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 10:15
One aspect of tobacco addiction that many do not know is that tobacco contains naturally occurring radioactive elements that are concentrated as well as some fertilizers that make it even more densely packed.

That means every smoke you take, you are ingesting radioactive elements! This is generally what causes lung cancer.

This is well known the scientific world.

So next time you want to smoke, just remind yourself that you are treating your body like a hazardous waste dumping ground!

Natural radioactivity contents in tobacco and radiation dose induced from smoking

http://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21926418/" rel="nofollow - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21926418/

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 10:50
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I'm an ex-smoker with lung cancer, so now not smoking is 'no problem'. You'll get there some day.

Increases the risk, for sure. But that is the only "certain" thing here.

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:36

Cancer may not be a certainty but diminishing your quality of life and shortening your lifespan is all but guaranteed.

Tobacco smoke is a significant source of free radicals which are basically unstable electrons that destroy your DNA. http://%20en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere" rel="nofollow - Telomeres are the extemities of chromosomes and are sort of like a carbon copy machine that allows cells to divide and replaced the ones that die.

Free radicals destroy the transfer of information and thus allow undesirable mutations in cellular reproduction.

If you think you are not being affected by tobacco usage then you like countless others are deluding yourself.

Free-radical chemistry of cigarette smoke and its toxicological implications.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568603/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568603/

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:55
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Cancer may not be a certainty but diminishing your quality of life and shortening your lifespan is all but guaranteed.

Tobacco smoke is a significant source of free radicals which are basically unstable electrons that destroy your DNA. https://%20en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere" rel="nofollow - Telomeres are the extemities of chromosomes and are sort of like a carbon copy machine that allows cells to divide and replaced the ones that die.

Free radicals destroy the transfer of information and thus allow undesirable mutations in cellular reproduction.

If you think you are not being affected by tobacco usage then you like countless others are deluding yourself.

Free-radical chemistry of cigarette smoke and its toxicological implications.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568603/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568603/

I'm not deluding myself. I just enjoy smoking and take the risk. Reducing lifespan... That depends. One of our neighbours died at the age of 98, and she was smoking like a chimney. I can give many similar examples, and they would not be limited to tobaccos. Here's one: A woman, who was the oldest human being alive, celebrated her birthday with drinking cola: her favourite drink. We know what is said about coke, too. I believe we all have unique physical and psychological traits, and such effects vary according to those. Remember what some "experts" said about video games and how harmful they are for the kids. Today, their benefits are talked about more. I, for one, still benefit from the skills I gained in the arcades.

Back on topic, I never am short of breath even after walking for hours. I became an addict at the age of 36. So, I can know how it affects my body. No effects that I'm aware of, honestly.

BTW, the science used to say butter is extremely unhealthy in the '90s and early 2000s. Now, they say that it is extremely healthy if consumed properly.

I also consume too much instant coffee. Science says it is like a "poison", too.

My body, my decision, my free choice to take the risk. Wink

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 13:21
^ definitely agree that it's your body and your choice. I'm not here to judge anybody for making their own decisions as long as it is informed consent.

Science can basically be broke down into two distinct categories:

1) the scientific method which yields results that are able to be replicated, questioned and scrutinized AND

2) scientism, which is blind faith in any claimed results from the so-called masters of this religion

Regarding the effects of smoking, they are detrimental and that is without a sliver of controversy

Regarding any old timer that lived a long age as a smoker.

How do you know they wouldn't have lived longer, healthier or happier if they had not smoked at all?

Keep in mind in the last several decades that the pollution has grown at an exponential rate and therefore such effects of tobacco are compounded by negative synergistic effects.

I have a friend who smokes a pack a day, drank vodka every day and smokes pot for decades. She showed no effects at all and then suddenly EVERYTHING in her body gave out and now she's the most miserable person i've ever encountered.

Your carbon-based meat suit is like an edifice that can sustain damage for a period of time before one day the remaining pillar gives way allowing the entire thing to collapse.

Only chiming in on this thread because it causes me great pain to see so many suffer the effects of something that is so easily avoided.

And YES, instant coffee is not healthy either but nothing in comparison to radioactive tobacco!

Wishing you health and prosperity  and hope you escape these likely eventualities :)

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 13:47
^ Thank you, dude. For your informative posts and well wishes.

Radioactive tobacco... I loved that! NukeBig smile

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 14:06
Radioactive Tobacco - sounds like a good name for a band (I'll file that one in case I ever form a band so no one else can nick it) Smile

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 15:20
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Radioactive Tobacco - sounds like a good name for a band (I'll file that one in case I ever form a band so no one else can nick it) Smile

LOL

Reminds me of this song!

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 10 2022 at 15:34
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Only chiming in on this thread because it causes me great pain to see so many suffer the effects of something that is so easily avoided.
There is nothing that is healthy, anymore. Breathing air in a big city can cause lung cancer, the water we drink has lead, pathogens, and many other chemicals not good for us (even bottled water), fruits and vegetables are bad for us (salmonella, E. Coli); as well as fish (mercury, polluted waters) and meats (given antibiotics, high in saturated fats, toxins). Organic foods and meats are not much better and some spices we use are full of heavy metals. We can't avoid any of these things. Life is tough. Getting COVID is also easily avoided if you get vaccinated - but people don't. Do the 5.5 million people that died from COVID, so far, cause you great pain?? 

Back on topic. It's tough to kick any habit. I'm still a occasional smoker. 

Date Posted: January 11 2022 at 10:31

Sorry to hear that. Kind of you to share in hopes of helping others.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 11 2022 at 13:25
I kicked the habit a number of times, but I am happy to be an ex-smoker since 2002.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk