Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122175
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 22:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Saga vs Triumph
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Saga vs Triumph
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 11:51
Next to Rush these are probably the two most well known prog/prog related bands from Canada. I almost wasn't going to do it because I wasn't sure if Triumph were in here but they are under prog related so that's good enough for me. Wink 

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 12:17
For what I know, both are great, so I voted both.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 12:18
Saga easy, but I do like me some Triumph.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 13:06
Ok, just to be clear. As a full fledged born in the snow (ok, in May but it was still cold) Let me make this perfectly clear. Triumph is about as prog as Loverboy, Streetheart or Heli. All good rock bands but NOT prog. I mean come on...really

THAT being said, Saga is a proggy pop band. I've seen them live in a bar in London ON back in thier early years. They put on a great show.

So Saga by a mile.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 13:30
Saga
I do like Triumph, although it's been a while since I gave them a listen.

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Ok, just to be clear. As a full fledged born in the snow (ok, in May but it was still cold) Let me make this perfectly clear. Triumph is about as prog as Loverboy, Streetheart or Heli. All good rock bands but NOT prog. I mean come on...really

THAT being said, Saga is a proggy pop band. I've seen them live in a bar in London ON back in thier early years. They put on a great show.

So Saga by a mile.

Triumph are still proggy enough to be prog related on here while the others are not. While I'm not an expert on Triumph I do hear prog elements in their music. Over all maybe about as proggish as Zebra(if anyone on here knows who they were). No, they aren't prog but not everything by Rush was prog either. Or Kansas or whoever. Some might argue Styx weren't prog. I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the prog element. Anyway, fwiw, wikipedia lists them as hard rock, heavy metal and progressive rock(so that's good enough for me and even more than I would say; not even sure I would call them metal either. Lol.).

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 14:09
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So Saga by a mile.

Triumph are still proggy enough to be prog related on here while the others are not. While I'm not an expert on Triumph I do hear prog elements in their music. Over all maybe about as proggish as Zebra(if anyone on here knows who they were).

well, this poll should have been in the proto/prog-related lounge.

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 14:12
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

So Saga by a mile.

Triumph are still proggy enough to be prog related on here while the others are not. While I'm not an expert on Triumph I do hear prog elements in their music. Over all maybe about as proggish as Zebra(if anyone on here knows who they were).

Not too late for someone to move it(I don't have the authority though). I didn't even know they have polls there. 

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 14:14

So Saga by a mile.

Not too late for someone to move it(I don't have the authority though). I didn't even know they have polls there. 

Prog-related/proto, general music also.

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 15:07

So Saga by a mile.

Prog-related/proto, general music also.

One of these bands(Saga)is "regular" prog though so I don't see what the big deal is. That said, if a moderator wants to move it I don't have a problem with that.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 15:23
I wish everyone would just have fun with polls/forums and not harp on semantics of where something should or should not be listed or one person's unhappiness with another's method of lisstening to music, etc. There's plenty to argue about just sticking to the topic.
For me, Triumph and Saga are cheesy AOL bands with arena rock mentalilties and an occasional prog flourish. There was so little good mainstream music that those little proggy riffs sounded great back then. Now it sounds like drek. The same with Asia, Foreigner and Styx, who I didn't like even when they came out. (Asia and Foreigner sound so cookie-cutter I want to plug my ears and Styx is like fingernails on a chalkboard).
But everyone's tastes differ, so if you like these groups, enjoy them. It doesn't mean I think you're an a--hole. We can share opinions without hate or ridicule. At least I think we can.
My buddy is into prog hardcore but he likes ... Barry Manilow. I don't know how or why, but even with that, we're still friends. Imagine.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 15:38
No need to move the poll, I'm fine with it here and while I can move polls to the Prog-Related/ Proto-Prog forum, poll making is disabled for that forum which was done for a few reasons which I won't get into now. While technically I can make polls in that forum, and I have moved various polls there, I still think I would have made his poll in this forum as 50% of the two acts listed is included in a Prog category. If Triumph weren't included in Related then I would suggest that General Music Discussions would be best.

By the way, I tend not to be into the AOR/ Arena Rock side of things, but I do rather like Saga's debut which I would call a sort of Prog AOR. I owned the silver record version of Triumph's Rock and Roll Machine, by the way.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 15:41
Amen(as far as the nitpicking about prog labels go). 

I'm not really that into putting music into boxes though. I like other kinds of rock(including arena rock) so a little bit of  prog in otherwise mainstream sounding rock never really bothered me. It's not an all or nothing thing for me. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 16:05
Saga. Worlds Apart has got many spins throughout the years.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 16:13

Amen(as far as the nitpicking about prog labels go). 

I'm not really that into putting music into boxes though. I like other kinds of rock(including arena rock) so a little bit of  prog in otherwise mainstream sounding rock never really bothered me. It's not an all or nothing thing for me. 

I quite like putting things in boxes, but I tend not to put things in a single box or too tidy a box, more like fuzzy, porous multiverse cubes. I find genre descriptors useful for discovering and describing music. a problem with boxes can be that people box themselves in too much.

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I wish everyone would just have fun with polls/forums and not harp on semantics of where something should or should not be listed or one person's unhappiness with another's method of lisstening to music, etc. There's plenty to argue about just sticking to the topic.

I share similar sentiments, even though I've felt compelled to explain, say best-placement many times. There are general guidelines, but it can be very inexact. I love good well-reasoned arguments with some depth and breadth, especially when the parties aren't at cross-purposes and seem to be trying to listen to each other rather than win points, but bickering and nit-picking can be tedious indeed. Sometimes a certain negativity pervades this forum, and the worst can be in cases where people are extremely negative about others perceived negativity. To each his or her own tastes and I appreciate exploring different perspectives. It's good to try to keep an open mind, just not so open that one's brains fall out as the saying goes. But I digress.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 17:11
Well, the prog label has helped me find a lot of great music I probably otherwise wouldn't have found but I'm not caught up on labels to the point where I think something has to fit into a label perfectly for me to enjoy it. For example, I might be really into Italian prog and I know that a band who is labelled as Italian prog will have a certain sound so I know what to expect. However, that doesn't mean it is necessarily a good Italian prog album and the same thing with any other subgenre. There's no guarantee you will like it. A lot of times it comes down to production, musicianship, recording quality and vocals(as much as I hate to say it vocals aren't always a strong point for many prog bands for whatever reason) and over all songwriting and melodies. While there are some kinds of music I'm not that crazy about(most rap and country for example)I tend to enjoy most forms of rock(even commercial and mainstream stuff).

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 18:01
^ the Prog label is an interesting one for me, partially because there is such a breadth of music under the Prog umbrella, and it doesn't have clear boundaries, and that Prog rather by definition doesn't fit tidy boxes. It can be seen as a progression from rock music (breaking established conventions of rock), non-generic non-rock canonical, and it can bring any style of music into it. It's so diverse. Some Prog is more progressive in this sense than others, and Prog is a rather nebulous label often.

Prog or progressive works best as label for me when other labels are also applied, which is reason why I like the multi-genre labeling system of places like Rate Your Music. I'm more likely to enjoy something labeled Progressive- Psychedelic-Jazz-Folk than Progressive-AOR-Country-Cock Rock, but I may like both or neither or prefer the Cock Rock one. Even if the labeling is sound, and of course I gravitate to certain styles more than others, it's not an absolute given. There's a lot of Prog that I don't like, and a huge amount of non-Prog that I do like. I tend to be an Avant Prog kind of guy, amongst other things, but that hardly means that I would like everything labelled that way in PA. The category itself is diverse. The musicianship, vocals (mostly I have listened to instrumental music as classical music was my first love), production may all be of high quality yet it does not musically resonate with me. What I sometimes find sad sometimes is the people's expectations seems to ruin music overmuch sometimes. For instance, a band or filmmaker tries a new approach and it gets panned for being different, whereas perhaps various critics would have been kinder to it had they not come in with the wrong expectations. I like labels, as inexact as they often are, as general guides for discovery and for describing music to others, but it doesn't tell you the whole story. I like to take albums and other arts on their own terms, but comparisons are only natural. People complain when they all sound the same, when they sound different.... This amorphous boxes tangent might have been a good discussion to have in David's boxes thread.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 18:34
Triumph without a doubt, and by a mile

Both bands were local in Toronto, along with Rush, Max Webster and FM, but Saga was the one who had the least success... All those bands played high-schools on dfriday night, except that I don't remember ever seeing Saga on that circuit.
Sure some of the Saga tracks on their first four albums were OK, but Saga was viewed as a pop band (even a synth-pop band), whereas Triumph were dirty nitty-gritty rock

Overall, I couldn't come up with a CD-r compilation of Saga (their whole career- even if I haven't heard anything in two or three decades), as there are only five or six tracks I like (Don't be late on SK being my fave). Saga was always prog-lite or not prog at all back in the pre-90's - don't know since!! ll that's interesting nowadays to me are the superb sci-fi artworks of Twilight and Knights

Triumph, on the other hand was sometimes close to prog, and if I like most of their first three album with some tremendous stuff (Blinding Light Show, The City, the two-part NY City Streets, etc...) but I can still find stuff until their fifth, though I realize that I'd probably cringe Pinch if their were not a teen nostalgia thing.

I really disliked their stuff after Allied Forces (81), when they became a Nuke spandex-wearing Censored AOR-Hair Metallish Pigcaricature of themselves... Which is unfortunately how they are remembered by most. Cry

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 18:40
OK I know Triumph aren't really prog but I just like them more, I've got plenty of time for Triumph and I really don't mind Saga but they just don't provide for me the same quality of entertainment.  I voted Triumph. Triumph are fun, Rik Emmett is one of the greatest guitarists I know of. Tongue

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 18:41

So Saga by a mile.

Surely that beats flatly Saga in the prog dept. TongueWink

=====================

BTW, I really liked Streetheart's first two album, and they sometimes approached proggy stuff, but too light to figure here

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 20:38
Saga is a pretty good group, but c'mon people. This is Trumph. Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite. Ditto the vocals... and the songwriting. Completely different leagues here.

Saga may get more mentions as being prog-ish, but that shouldn't mean they get an automatic vote, even on this site.

Date Posted: February 08 2020 at 21:09
Wow, I never heard of Streetheart. I have heard of Chiliwack and April Wine though.

Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 02:04
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Saga is a pretty good group, but c'mon people. This is Trumph. Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite. Ditto the vocals... and the songwriting. Completely different leagues here.

let's not overdo it, please...ShockedWink

He's quite good, and will probably scrape the bottom the top 100, but never approach the top 98TongueWink

Saga may get more mentions as being prog-ish, but that shouldn't mean they get an automatic vote, even on this site.

TBH, "we" (youngs dudes in Hogtown) thought they were a little "fagotty" and certainly didn't understand how they were huge in Germany

===================

BTW, for those who would doubt of the veracity of all these bands (including Rush) playing high schools in Toronto during the 70's, please see Rik Emmett's testimony at 3'30"
(later on, at the 7-mins mark, they speak of Rush opening doors in which they crashed through)

I also saw bands like CANO, Goddo, Webster, Trooper, Teaze Moxy, Zon, FM, Triumph, Streetheart and plenty others that never made it to a first album.
Oddly enough, the Toronto punk scene (Diodes and Viletones) was never able to get on the circuit (Viletones frontman was called Nazyi Dog and stabbed himself on stage, drawing blood), while other bands simply hit it elsewhere  like Pat Travers Band >> UK and Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (Texas and stuff), so they were never around
was not able to play in the HS
Going to a french-speaking HS (from 75 to78), there were also Québécois bands touring the circuit (but Harmonium and Beau Dommage were already too big at the time) as well and we also had Aquarelle, Morse Code, Conventum, Séguin and a few others.

Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 02:04

Wow, I never heard of Streetheart. I have heard of Chiliwack and April Wine though.

Streetheart:
These guys where from Winnipeg (where The Guess Who and BTO - Bachman Turning Overweight - were from)  or Saskatchewan (where nobody else but them came from LOL), and three of them ended up in Vancouver's Loverboy

Here is them in 79, but by that time, both guitarist Dean and drummer Frenette were already gone (bassist Sinnaeve would join a few years later)

All of the material here is from their second album and The two guys gone did take away from the power from the band.

Just like Triumph, this is teen stuff that hasn't really aged all that well. Almost cringe-inducing and amateurish nowadays PinchLOL

===============

Chilliwack, on tne other hand evolved out the great proto-prog bands The Collectors (66-69) and their first two albums (70-71) are terrific lazy psych-prog stuff laced with Amerindian influences (the reason why they're here)...

Then they became a cruddy AOR-Countryish band by the mid-70's. Dead

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 03:29
Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite , I fully agree with this opinion Rik Emmett is that good, you need to listen to his shorter pieces  like finger talking to see how brilliant he is Clap 

triumph finger talking  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ciYapqp4" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ciYapqp4  ( I hope I'm allowed to post links if not please delete it) Tongue

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 05:46

Sure Rik is good, but I'm pretty sure Ian can keep up with him.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

He's quite good, and will probably scrape the bottom the top 100, but never approach the top 98TongueWink

Saga
may get more mentions as being prog-ish, but that shouldn't mean they
get an automatic vote, even on this site.

TBH, "we" (youngs dudes in Hogtown) thought they were a little "fagotty" and certainly didn't understand how they were huge in Germany

===================

BTW, for those who would doubt of the veracity of all these bands (including Rush) playing high schools in Toronto during the 70's, please see Rik Emmett's testimony at 3'30"
(later on, at the 7-mins mark, they speak of Rush opening doors in which they crashed through)

I also saw bands like CANO, Goddo, Webster, Trooper, Teaze Moxy, Zon, FM, Triumph, Streetheart and plenty others that never made it to a first album.
Oddly enough, the Toronto punk scene (Diodes and Viletones) was never able to get on the circuit (Viletones frontman was called Nazyi Dog and stabbed himself on stage, drawing blood), while other bands simply hit it elsewhere  like Pat Travers Band >> UK and Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (Texas and stuff), so they were never around
was not able to play in the HS
Going to a french-speaking HS (from 75 to78), there were also Québécois bands touring the circuit (but Harmonium and Beau Dommage were already too big at the time) as well and we also had Aquarelle, Morse Code, Conventum, Séguin and a few others.

All anyone who doubts Emmet's greatness, and versatility, ever need do is listen to side 2 of Thunder Seven. Not only does he play far and away the best hard rock of his era (as well as most any before or since), he shreds the blues like nobody's business, and just kills it on classical as well. Hell, he was finger tapping better than EVH as far back as '78. Lots of guitarists are rightfully famous for their individual sound...but Emmett does it all and does it all at the highest possible level. He was never just a niche player. Overall, few can get anywhere near him.

Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 08:35
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite , I fully agree with this opinion Rik Emmett is that good, you need to listen to his shorter pieces  like finger talking to see how brilliant he is Clap 

triumph finger talking  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ciYapqp4" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ciYapqp4  ( I hope I'm allowed to post links if not please delete it) Tongue

The only Triumph I think I ever owned was progressions of power(on cassette)so I remember finger talking. Anyway, you know Rik is good if he can hang with Steve.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh1JcI3lDxE" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh1JcI3lDxE

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 09 2020 at 11:22
Saga

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:23
Triumph have got absolutely nothing at all to do with prog. They are a hard rock band.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 06:13
as someone above said

Triumph is not really prog related at all.  They are more a Hair Metal band.  I like a lot of their songs.

Saga is poppy prog and I also like an equal number of songs.

I will vote both

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 07:07
Never cared for Saga and Triumph was a favorite as a teen, so Triumph gets the vote. 

Triumph has a dash of prog here and there (Blinding Light Show / Moonchild is awesome) in their earlier music but even I think including them here as prog-related is a stretch. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 08:31
Prog related is a stretch for either band imho....2 mediocre hard rock bands.

I'll hide while their fans throw stones at me,,,,
;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 10:48
Wow, the prog snobs are out at full force now. ;) Saying Saga aren't even prog related(when they are listed here as crossover). Jeesh. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 18:12

As far as lead vocalist (with vocals of his caliber) and lead guitar (ditto) in one package go, Rik trounces a lot of other guys. He's the consummate guitarist who explored other styles following his time in Triumph. He's excellent on acoustic, as well.

IMO, he'd rank much higher than "#99" in the Top 100 combos. Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 18:13
And I voted both, mainly because while I like Saga a lot, I'm not down-voting Triumph for them. Were it Rush, it would be different.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 07:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

As far as lead vocalist (with vocals of his caliber) and lead guitar (ditto) in one package go, Rik trounces a lot of other guys. He's the consummate guitarist who explored other styles following his time in Triumph. He's excellent on acoustic, as well.

Rik is a classic example of an underrated guitarist when it comes to those "top guitarists" lists. He doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves. 

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:39
I first heard of Saga in the late 70's. Back then they would fit in with other bands that were not AOR, they had that sense of progness to the music and lyrics, nothing they did fit the FM radio format.

I bought Images At Twilight because of the album cover and they had songs that were part of "chapters"....This is what you did when you walked into a record store and flipped thru bins reading covers. So much of what I bought was do to artwork, not flowers but of fantasy looking stuff.

The music on that album really was excellent, the band sounded really tight and the lyrics told stories. Silent Night came out and same thing, although by then I knew what to expect. Worlds Apart blew up the FM dial 100% due to MTV, hence they became popular, but only for 2 songs....No Regrets and No Strangers would never fit FM or MTV.

Back then in the late 70s it had nothing to do with prog or sounding prog, that is only because today we beat our heads to categorize music in silos, today everything must have a place...."get off my lawn!!" Saga was making music before all this craziness started, most of the people that liked Saga also liked Rush, Yes, PF even Nektar...as well as they liked Boston, Styx, Kansas.

I also love Triumph, to me different music styles, Triumph was hard driving rock/metal. And yes one of the most amazing guitarist in hard rock music, I saw Triumph a couple times in the 80's and Rik was head and shoulders above most. I saw Saga once in '83-'84 don't remember, wish I would have seen them more.

I chose both, for very different reasons. 

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:42
Quite unfamiliar with both...own 4 or 5 Saga but haven't listened much. I do not own and haven't listened to any Triumph since my teenage years.

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Rik is a classic example of an underrated guitarist when it comes to those "top guitarists" lists. He doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves.

Every bit the lead guitarist that the celebrated EVH is, only Rik can also jam on acoustic! 

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 15:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I first heard of Saga in the late 70's. Back then they would fit in with other bands that were not AOR, they had that sense of progness to the music and lyrics, nothing they did fit the FM radio format.

I bought Images At Twilight because of the album cover and they had songs that were part of "chapters"....This is what you did when you walked into a record store and flipped thru bins reading covers. So much of what I bought was do to artwork, not flowers but of fantasy looking stuff.

The music on that album really was excellent, the band sounded really tight and the lyrics told stories. Silent Night came out and same thing, although by then I knew what to expect. Worlds Apart blew up the FM dial 100% due to MTV, hence they became popular, but only for 2 songs....No Regrets and No Strangers would never fit FM or MTV.

Back then in the late 70s it had nothing to do with prog or sounding prog, that is only because today we beat our heads to categorize music in silos, today everything must have a place...."get off my lawn!!" Saga was making music before all this craziness started, most of the people that liked Saga also liked Rush, Yes, PF even Nektar...as well as they liked Boston, Styx, Kansas.

I also love Triumph, to me different music styles, Triumph was hard driving rock/metal. And yes one of the most amazing guitarist in hard rock music, I saw Triumph a couple times in the 80's and Rik was head and shoulders above most. I saw Saga once in '83-'84 don't remember, wish I would have seen them more.

I first got Heads or Tales on tape, then went back and (!!!) put in a special order for Images at Twilight on CD, because, as you say, that's how we did it back then! And the Wherehouse actually procured the CD for me, which was the Bel Aire pressing that was circulating at the time.

If you got Phase One, you got "Hangman," which was left off the album, and a better, tougher version of "Mouse in a Maze," too.

Tony Roberts' paintings were used for both Images and Silent Knight, and to this day, they remain the best covers on any of Saga's albums. IMO, Silent Knight is their best album. It's got more of an edge than the previous two albums, and feels exactly like crossover prog as we call it today. Lots of fantastic instrumental interplay, fueled by Moog synths!

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 15:55

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I first got Heads or Tales on tape, then went back and (!!!) put in a special order for Images at Twilight on CD, because, as you say, that's how we did it back then! And the Wherehouse actually procured the CD for me, which was the Bel Aire pressing that was circulating at the time.

If you got Phase One, you got "Hangman," which was left off the album, and a better, tougher version of "Mouse in a Maze," too.

Tony Roberts' paintings were used for both Images and Silent Knight, and to this day, they remain the best covers on any of Saga's albums. IMO, Silent Knight is their best album. It's got more of an edge than the previous two albums, and feels exactly like crossover prog as we call it today. Lots of fantastic instrumental interplay, fueled by Moog synths!

See your spot on with "Lots of fantastic instrumental interplay, fueled by Moog synths!"  That CD version, by CD resell standards, is a spendy one now, I think...It's not a $2-$5 CD, I think like $15.
My Images LP i bought at Tower Records Import section, although it is a Canadian print Wink, but still worth about $20 now, probably paid $5.99 in 1981-82.
Don't Be Late (Chpt 2) is excellent!!

-------------

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 11:41
I was so gob-smacked the first time I saw this poll that I didn't even comment. Now, I simply MUST say something!

I was stunned to find out Triumph had any sort of presence on PA. Yes, Rik Emmett is a fabulous guitar player and vocalist, and they came up with a few great songs. But Prog-Related? Triumph always seemed to me to be more of a beer-drinking, girl-chasing bar band than something even remotely Prog-Related. If Triumph is Prog-Related, then so is Boston.

SAGA, on the other hand, while far more keyboard-oriented is emphatically prog and in my personal Big Six. As good as Rik Emmett is, I would put Ian Crichton right up there with him every day! Even if we ignore what the band sounded like, Saga (like Rush) were far more SERIOUS about their music/lyrics. Can you imagine Triumph doing an album like Generation 13? And while (like Rush) Saga have "lightened up" over time, the only real comparison with Triumph is country of origin.

All that being said, I would pay good money for an album of Rik Emmett/Alex Lifeson or Ian Crichton guitar duets!

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 16:05
Wow. I don't even remember doing this one. I think I did a Procol Harum vs Saga poll also. Lol.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:11
There's "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" but options can't please all people, so I say that I know Saga very well and like them a lot, and I don't know Triumph and from what I read I don't miss knowing them that much. Will still vote for Saga just to be unfair to Triumph. Tongue

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

There's "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" but options can't please all people, so I say that I know Saga very well and like them a lot, and I don't know Triumph and from what I read I don't miss knowing them that much. Will still vote for Saga just to be unfair to Triumph. Tongue

Why not vote "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" if that is the case. I would rather have someone not vote at all if they aren't going to play by the rules. You are basically admitting to me here that you are deliberately breaking the rules of the poll. Not cool.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:54
Just a Game by Triumph is a fantastic rock album. But that and maybe Allied Force would be all I need to satisfy my Triumph listening experience. The first four Saga albums are the bulk of my Saga listening though I have heard and liked some of the later stuff. I voted for Saga.

Edit to add: Apparently, I had already votes for Saga.

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:28
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Just a Game by Triumph is a fantastic rock album. But that and maybe Allied Force would be all I need to satisfy my Triumph listening experience.

I recommend giving Thunder Seven a revisit because Side B contains some of the best music of their career, and without a doubt their two best instrumentals.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:36
Neither.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Neither.

Tonight, you're on the loose! Never surrender!

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:54

Why not vote "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" if that is the case. I would rather have someone not vote at all if they aren't going to play by the rules. You are basically admitting to me here that you are deliberately breaking the rules of the poll. Not cool.

I just misunderstood the option, I thought it means I don't know either band. Stupid me. There was no rulebook though, just options, and I liked the Saga one.  Some people like it if somebody votes in their three year old poll with comment, but fair enough we're not all the same...

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 19:02

I just misunderstood the option, I thought it means I don't know either band. Stupid me. There was no rulebook though, just options, and I liked the Saga one.  Some people like it if somebody votes in their three year old poll with comment, but fair enough we're not all the same...

Well, if you misunderstood it I can't really blame you for that other than your misunderstanding. In this day and age it's easy enough to look up a band you don't know (like Triumph for example) on youtube though.

Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 03:27
It seems Triumph gets judged all-too-much for their later stuff (the NS/T7 stuff) that was nearing the hair-metal genre, and not on the base of their early two/three albums. Stern Smile

Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I was stunned to find out Triumph had any sort of presence on PA. Yes, Rik Emmett is a fabulous guitar player and vocalist, and they came up with a few great songs. But Prog-Related? Triumph always seemed to me to be more of a beer-drinking, girl-chasing bar band than something even remotely Prog-Related. If Triumph is Prog-Related, then so is Boston.

SAGA, on the other hand, while far more keyboard-oriented is emphatically prog and in my personal Big Six. As good as Rik Emmett is, I would put Ian Crichton right up there with him every day! Even if we ignore what the band sounded like, Saga (like Rush) were far more SERIOUS about their music/lyrics. Can you imagine Triumph doing an album like Generation 13? And while (like Rush) Saga have "lightened up" over time, the only real comparison with Triumph is country of origin.

Well, yes, at one point, Triumph decided to part way from their original stance (their first two albums) and certainly achieved that with success. If Triumph had done another three albums in the line of RnR Machine and theur debut (and achieved the same commercial success they had), they'd probably be remembered differently than their near-Hair-metal MTV videoclips. 

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Just a Game by Triumph is a fantastic rock album. But that and maybe Allied Force would be all I need to satisfy my Triumph listening experience.

Yes, Triumph always had that friday-night-fun-girl-chasing RnR side (not only musical, but also lyrics), but they also had a more profound side, that usually showed both musically and in terms of lyrics... Difficult to adapt the lyrics of Whole Lotta Rosie type of lyrics on Close To The Edge type of music. LOL

I might have written this in my reviews, but Just A Game was a game-changer for the band and they clearly explain it in the opening track called Movin' On. Genesis did the same with Down and Out on And Then There Were Three.  I'd say both bands realized the music scene was changing and had to do something about it. Rush basically did the same as well with Spirit Of Radio ... all three did that in 78/9, I believe.

======================

Soooo, I'd say that if all you heard (or care to hear) from Triumph is Just A Game and Allied Forces, you're missing 100% of the point of their prog-related inclusion. Emmett's guitar playing is hardly the only reason.

Now I agree that three or four epics over a whole career might be a little too few (but did Zep or Doors have more?)  to qualify here, but there are worse offenders. (Oingo Boingo, The Church or XTC, for ex).
Just looking at who else is in the list as Prog-Related, I'd say that once you know their first two albums, they fit much better than many others included for whatever reasons.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 09:43
Heard quite some Triumph in the 80s, but they were never high on my lists of preference. Saga, on the contrary, were and still are.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 09:51

It seems Triumph gets judged all-too-much for their later stuff (the NS/T7 stuff) that was nearing the hair-metal genre, and not on the base of their early two/three albums. Stern Smile

Confused Never Surrender and Thunder Seven don't sound remotely like hair metal.

Go listen to Faster Pussycat and Madam X. That's hair metal.

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:20
Triumph!   Especially Rik Emmett penned songs. 
When Rik sings, my ears ring blue bells... tintinnabulate...bong!
Let me lay it on the line...tintinnabulate...Triumphs' got the magic power 
Tintinnabulate....how they jingle, jangle, twinkle on the hour....Tintinnabulate...
Spellbound....Emmett pounds...heavy metal bells...Tintinnabulate...
Mellow thunder seven bells....swell ding, and tinkle...
Tintinnabulate... sprinkles Rik's leads ring and sink syncopation
Rang Triumph's spell cast over aural oblation... ting, swing
I Ching, bells swell, cha-ching, ding-dong....ring, ring, ring:
Hold on, someone's out there...Tintinnabulate...tintinnabulate...tintinnabulation. 

Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:33
I voted for Triumph if for no other reason than to make up for that fact that someone voted for Saga without even knowing Triumph. Wink

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 12:26
Huge fan of Rock And Roll Machine I mean as far as albums go I would take it over anything by Saga. Saga had some killer songs though. Still this Triumph trio were incredibly talented musicians and studio wizards too.
Voted Triumph.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk