Print Page | Close Window

Why Leprous is the best band in the universe

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122188
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 20:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why Leprous is the best band in the universe
Posted By: Mind_Drive
Subject: Why Leprous is the best band in the universe
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 10:44
Seriously tho, in my book no other band stretches the boundaries of songrwriting in such a refreshing, non-pretentious and epic way, 
crazy inventive but always focussed on the whole. Einar's voice is pure bliss and so is Baard's drumming. Their rhythmsection is beyond imaginative, 
their atmosphere one of the densest out there and their melodies are catchy and/or odd as hell.
I mean who thinks: "hey i can play the same 2 notes in the same pattern for 6 minutes straight, thats sounds awesome!" ?!... but it ends up working:
Big smile

the uneven timesignatures together with this godly beast of a voice...

their bombast is also not to underestimate! (from the newest album)

(mid-end of this song)

if you want it a bit wilder, just go back to tall poppy syndrom (that album is possibly one of the greatest ever!)

and one word on baard...

tldr:
Avant-Garde-metal & progressive pop music - never sounded so pleasant!!
I can literally recommend every singe album from tall poppy syndrom onwards! :)

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 10:45
I love these types of positive threads! Thanks for posting! Smile

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Odvin Draoi
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 11:34
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

Seriously tho, in my book no other band stretches the boundaries of songrwriting in such a refreshing, non-pretentious and epic way, 

Lol, you're as pretentious as them, or even more. In the universe? Lol aliens get jealous of them even.

Horribly pretentious, ridiculously overrated band, if you ask me.

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 11:46
So much for positivity! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 11:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

So much for positivity! LOL

Wink I appreciate!

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 11:50
^ No problem. For the record, Leprous doesn't have a single album (about 8) rated less than 4 stars in PA and are very respected.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 11:59
true, if anything they are still underrated Tongue

take this lick from 1:45 for example that repeats itself only after 20 seconds,
its almost totally random feel..

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 12:18
Are you fully acquainted with all bands in the universe?

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 12:26
while i have not listened to all of them yet personally, i can assure you, i have my source(s)

but hey, the first thing i would ask our starsiblings when we have contact is to listen to some of their music. im sure their's as great as leprous Tongue

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 13:45
I saw them open for Haken here in Seattle.....I was impressed with their performance, overall not my cup of tea but I would not, not listen to them. I was less impressed with Haken's performance, honestly that was a let down.
Bent Knee opened the show and they were very cool!!

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 10 2020 at 14:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I saw them open for Haken here in Seattle.....I was impressed with their performance, overall not my cup of tea but I would not, not listen to them. I was less impressed with Haken's performance, honestly that was a let down.

Saw the same line-up in Boston and came to the same conclusions. I bought the Leprous album but not the Haken. I'll listen when it comes up in rotation but I'm in no rush to search it out.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 06:13

That may be but they are pretty well known for a an extreme/tech group and that says a lot.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 06:16

That may be but they are pretty well known for a an extreme/tech group and that says a lot.

they're not tech/extreme anymore, in fact the last two albums are really mellow.

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 06:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

they're not tech/extreme anymore, in fact the last two albums are really mellow.
But they can still turn it on in concert and that's why they'll always be extreme/tech to me.

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 06:20

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 07:10
^god, when i first heard this i was "nooo, einar, really???" xD
after the second listen i was hooked and now i return to this song at least twice a weak

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 07:24
Pitfalls was not AOTY material for me, but at least i enjoyed it more than the previous one.

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 07:40

Big smile

their bombast is also not to underestimate! (from the newest album)

(mid-end of this song)

Tongue This said it all! 

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 08:25
I love Leprous, especially Tall Poppy Syndrome to The Congregation. Not overly thrilled with the new direction although it's not bad. They're just becoming ordinary though. Best band ever? I wouldn't go that far but they certainly have been quite innovative and of high quality :)

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 08:51
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Pitfalls was not AOTY material for me, but at least i enjoyed it more than the previous one.

I can somewhat agree on this, Pitfalls has not yet grown on me that much and seems to have more weak songs compared to the others (still prefer malina), on the other hand it has some of their best moments ever!

If I had to rank them, it would be:

Tall Poppy Syndrome
The Congregation
Bilateral
Malina
Coal
Pitfalls

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 09:55

at least twice a weak

This said it all! LOL

Though it's gotta be "twice as weak" than any quality prog metal band.

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:10
^ You made your point earlier. Now do us all a favor and sod off. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:24
Is this your licensed forum sub-topicQuestion

Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:37
Ok ok guys! pitfalls is extremely good, too! I just bought it in HD and listened to them on my DT990pro (with FiiO K3 dac). Brilliant! And I also have to admit, that their less agressive style nowadays fits my taste very well. 
Also fits my theory, the less anger you have inside of you, the less you want to listen to or make angry music.

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 08:23
Good band.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 13:49
Usually I am not on the heavy side of prog, but I do like Leprous, and that means something!
Probably because, as someone already mentioned, they are not so heavy anymore...
I especially enjoyed Bilateral.

Regarding the universe: Are you sure you have listened to all the cool stuff from Andoria?... Tongue

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: fracturematt
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 09:53
Let me tell you something, Leprous hasn't even begun to peak. And when they do peak, you'll know. Because they're gonna peak so hard that everybody in The Prog Archives is gonna feel it.

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by fracturematt fracturematt wrote:

Let me tell you something, Leprous hasn't even begun to peak. And when they do peak, you'll know. Because they're gonna peak so hard that everybody in The Prog Archives is gonna feel it.
Don't hold back man. Just let it out. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 11:32
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Are you fully acquainted with all bands in the universe?

I hear those martians can really rock, not as good as the venusians but that's a given.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 11:33
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Regarding the universe: Are you sure you have listened to all the cool stuff from Andoria?... Tongue

That stuff will melt your antennae off

I hear the vulcans are really into ambient stuff except for every seven years when they go all thrash metal

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Rrattlesnake
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 12:14
What about Einar's precious "aaaaaaaaaaaaaa"?

Date Posted: March 02 2020 at 10:41
Originally posted by fracturematt fracturematt wrote:

Haha xD that sounds great! I'm lookingforward to it, though its somewhat hard to believe..
I feel they've peaked with almost every album, each is so amazing on its own, it's hard even to just pin down their peak up until now... their vastly diverse catalogue adds to the impression that "every album is the best of its kind" somehow... thats why I think they are arguably already at their peak since 2009 ;)

But wouldn't it be cool when they at some point went more avant-metal again and we ended up with TPS 2 as their last and best album ever? :D (although its safe to assume that the perfection of TPS can probably never be topped).

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: March 06 2020 at 05:27
I only have Pitfalls, but it is a stunning album!  I've been listening to it a lot this week.  I need to acquire more.

Ooh.  It's lunchtime.  The sun is shining (yes, here in Wales, really!).  So I think I'll pootle down to HMV and see what I can find....

Posted By: dauinghorn
Date Posted: March 06 2020 at 19:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Bent Knee play LIVE, real people, real instruments. No backing tracks or fake musicianship. Superb gang!

Posted By: Fjkpkwek
Date Posted: March 13 2020 at 14:10
Yeah man, I hear you too. I really love Leprous. I have listened through almost all of their albums (except Coal and Malina). In fact, they're among in my all-time favorite 'modern' prog metal bands. I really like everything about them, especially Einar Solberg's angelic vocals. But sorry to say, I don't consider them to be the best band in the universe.

But did you know that they have an 'obscure' demo album released in 2006? If not, then it's called Aeolia (which is pretty much similar to Haken's 'Enter the 5th Dimension', but only for its obscurity, with it being not known that much by fans of their respective bands compared to some of their more popular albums like Bilateral and The Mountain). And yes, I've heard it, I think it's pretty good actually. My favorite is the first track. There's a YouTube video for it too if you want to at least go for a quick listen for it now.

So, speaking of Mr. Einar, in case if you didn't see it, here's a video of his vocal range which really shows his singing ability as it goes from his lowest notes to his highest. Also in the video, you can see in which he had hit those notes, which are then highlighted.

Without further ado, before watching this video here are some reminders and some few spoilers.

First things first: since this was released in late or mid 2018, there won't be anything from Pitfalls. Also, if you're looking for some of his growls, none of them are there (I guess that they don't include such growls in vocal ranges like this), so you won't hear his part from The Architect by Haken. There is also only one song from Tall Poppy Syndrome (I think you all know what part from that album is featured in the video). Some few tracks (at least two) in which he has been a guest vocalist in, and as stated above, if you don't want to be 'spoiled', there are a few parts here and there from their 2006 demo. Oh, and it also has only one 'live' part; and it's very old (from 2003) and it's just a song from one of their demos. And lastly, there's also a part there in which Einar himself is recording vocals for a song. It's still worth a watch though.

Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 10:19
yeah, einars voice melts my heart like no other..
thx for the vocal range video, pretty cool! but i didnt need it to know that he is simply one of the best, whose voice happens to fit my taste perfectly as well.

btw: there is an even obscurer demo from 2004 by them where you can hear their early crazy avantgardness even more! its called "silent waters":

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: Cylli Kat (0fficial)
Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 12:56
With all due respect to the OP and with consideration to the nature of the post:
I find that I much prefer and am more emotionally moved and technically impressed by the vocal work (and writing) of Daniel Gildenlöw, and the body of work of Pain of Salvation.
And regarding still other vocalists, I'd also say that my ears wrap around Ray Alder (Fates Warning - Redemption) or Jim Grey (Caligula's Horse - Arcane) rather easily...

I can certainly understand the appeal of Leprous (I own their catalog - and as a favorite might choose {MALINA}), but they just don't impact me in quite the same way that it obviously affects the OP and others in this thread. I find them to be a great band, (and really find the vocals of Einar Solberg to be above average) but not mindblowing...

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary...

-------------
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=17597" rel="nofollow - Cylli Kat

Posted By: Fjkpkwek
Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 09:22
to Mind_Drive: And if you want more of his vocal range, there's a forum
thread somewhere in which you can see some few highlights from Pitfalls if you don't mind. I think it consists some of his higher notes like the final verse, or the refrain (I think) of At the Bottom. All you have to do is search 'Einar Solberg vocal range' and you may find it.

Based at the video above, the small part during 12:34 which was the intense A5s and the single B5 from "Beauty of Death". I haven't heard the full demo yet, might as well have to if I have the time to do so.

It's fine if you don't, I only wanted to share to you a little of his vocal prowess. So the question is, what was your favorite part of the vocal range video? And I mean the note including the song where he really shines as a vocalist the most.

There's also two songs that I think perfectly encapsulates some of his skills as well but wasn't included in the video simply because the songs were kinda mellow and no noteworthy part was present there. The songs were The Last Milestone and The Cloak from Coal and Malina respectively. I haven't heard the two albums fully yet, and again, I'll do it if I have the proper time.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 24 2020 at 15:13
From what little I have heard from them I'm not really all that interested in knowing more (yeah, it was good, but it didn't blow me away)... and this may seem ridiculous to many, but just because of their name I don't really want to get to like them. It's just a nasty little name that pushes me away from wanting to know (and like) more from them (yeah, there are even worse band names anyway, but this is bad enough).

Posted By: Deadwing
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 05:30
Leprous is one of my new favorites newer bands.I love all their albums, they're cheesy, but very unique with really strong arrangements. Einar has a very good taste for keyboards tones, his voice is amazing, and Baard is one of the best drummers out there. All their compositions (at least from Bilateral onwards) are really tight.

Loved Pitfalls, although I wish they try something heavier in their next album.

Date Posted: March 27 2020 at 07:04
@ Cylli Kat:
Daniel Gildenlöw and Jim Grey are both amazing in my ears as well! I think really it's just matter of tastes above a certain "skill-level" :) and ofc. 
The music of their respective bands plays also a role here and PoS as well as and Caligula's Horse are some of my favourite progmetal bands as well.

@Fjkpkwek:
I think my new favourite Einar moment is the end of distant bells from Pitfalls. I also love the cloak from Coal, it shows his heart-breaking weeping voice perfectly!

@Dellinger
Yeah, their name is very off-putting and not fitting anymore. They were like 16(?) years old when they startet Leprous, so back then they wanted to be edgy i guess and now changing your band name is not a thing you really wanna do as a band at this point i think.

@Deadwing
I can understand the wish for a more "metal" sound, but i think they are as heavy as ever (just not in all tracks anymore) and i totally trust them to deliver what ever path they may take with their next album. :)

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk