Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122221
Printed Date: April 17 2024 at 23:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog by Nation..
Posted By: M27Barney
Subject: Prog by Nation..
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 06:09
Ok nail your colours to the mast of prog nationalism...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 06:11
There's other countries doing prog besides the UK? How interesting.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 06:20
After UK I'd go Sweden, France, Italy.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:16
BelgiumCool & CanadaStar (this means Quebec, mainly), of course Evil Smile

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:21
Turkmenistan, followed by Fiji.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:25
Netherlands, Italy and Germany have some nice bands.

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:40
Many countries have great bands. But UK has the greatest ones. Beatles, Genesis, Yes, Zeppelin, Purple, Marillion, IQ, Floyd, Crimson. This list could be very long.
UK wins the poll.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:50
UK-- this is not even close. Homeland of the Beatles--as Jon Anderson said when asked this question---I'm paraphrasing here" --in the late 60's early 70's if you were a kid in the UK you only had a few choices--you either went to university , got a job in a factory, or learned how to play an instrument and start a rock band".Big smile 

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:58
This is a Usain Bolt surely.   

1. UK
2. Netherlands
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. USA

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:01
Finland.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:02
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

UK-- this is not even close. Homeland of the Beatles--as Jon Anderson said when asked this question---I'm paraphrasing here" --in the late 60's early 70's if you were a kid in the UK you only had a few choices--you either went to university , got a job in a factory, or learned how to play an instrument and start a rock band".Big smile 
All those hours Jon spent practising on the triangle sure paid off.

-------------

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:02
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Or joined the armed forces, as many of us did, that was my "factory"

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:13
Though they may not have as many bands that reach our ears, when a Japanese band chooses to enter a prog sub-genre, they do it with extreme prejudice (i.e. they kill it!)--especially Avant/RIO, Post Rock, and Zeuhl. 

Each of these Japanese bands has albums in the PA database with considerably high ratings averages:
Hiro Yanagida, Mickey Curtis and Samurai, Far East Family Band, Shinki Chen & Friends, Takehisa Kosugi, J. A. Caesar, Stomu Yamash'ta, Kitaro, Taj-Mahal Travellers, YMO, Ain Soph, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Kenso, Asturias, Midas, Pazzo Fanfano di Musica, Mr. Sirius, Social Tension, Bondage Fruit, Zypressen, Tipographica, Happy Family, Koenji Hyakkei, Korekyojinn, Ground Zero, Boredoms, Hiromi Uehara, Sigh, Mono, KBB, OOIOO, Outer Limits, World's End Girlfriend, Le Silo, About Tess, Gerard, Lite, Mouse on Keys, Toe, Ruins, ptf, Yuka & Chronoship, De Lorians. 

The UK has the advantage in terms of sheer numbers but I would argue that the overall quality of bands and their releases falls far below that of their far fewer Japanese peers.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:31
Belgium obviously

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:01
Vatican City

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:02
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Vatican City

LOL

Liechtenstein

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:06
In the seventies: UK, Italy then big gap then Germany and France.

Now I would say it's Sweden, UK, Italy and then US.

Actually not just Sweden but Scandinavia in general seems to be ahead of the pack these days. The op didn't really specificy between modern or the old days though.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:13
No vote as yet. UK, USA, Canada and NL may all be candidates. Tomorrow it will be Norway for sure. They are getting better every year.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Vatican City

LOL

Liechtenstein

Don't laugh too hard at the Holy See! http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104162&KW=Pope+Francis&PN=1" rel="nofollow - Pope Frankie has earned a reputation as a prog vocalist.

And keep a close watch on San Marino. RPI may reach outside Italy's borders one of these months.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:45
UK for sure, but others, like Brazil and Argentina, have produce, not in great cuantities but in quality, a fantastic body of prog music. 

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:50
So many ways to think about this question. Quantity, quality, expansion and unification of ideas, etc. And all of these are limited by any individual listeners frame of reference and willingness to broaden that scope.

The early days of prog were doubtlessly shaped by what was produced in UK. But once you look past the years of 68 through about 75, the sources for consistent, quality prog leave the islands. I would say the last 25 years most of what I enjoy is coming from France, Japan and Norway.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:50
Went with Sweden, followed by Italy and France.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 09:53
If fusion counts as prog rock, then I will go with the US, if not, then obviously the UK.

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:25
^According to PA fusion does count as prog. So USA for me.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:08
Although the UK is the correct answer, I had to give Italy some love...

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:32
The obvious choice for me. Smile

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

was it Andorra or Liechtenstein?

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:52

Russia or North Korea?

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:53

No, it was The Vatican. I like a bit of Pope-Rock every now and again. LOL

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

So many ways to think about this question. Quantity, quality, expansion and unification of ideas, etc. And all of these are limited by any individual listeners frame of reference and willingness to broaden that scope.

The early days of prog were doubtlessly shaped by what was produced in UK. But once you look past the years of 68 through about 75, the sources for consistent, quality prog leave the islands. I would say the last 25 years most of what I enjoy is coming from France, Japan and Norway.

I have difficulty answering the question because it's, purposefully I guess, so vague. To which I might say to myself, "Try an approach that works for me and go with it."

Maybe France, Italy, Germany, Japan, or, excuse my French, Belgium!*

I'm going with France, as for me there seems to be fairly consistent quality to my ears across many Prog varieties over the years. Vive la France! I am something of a French patriot even if not French (my family name came from there, Normans actually and the old viking in me still goes berserker now and then, but we dropped the "de" a long time ago).

* Douglas Adams readers might get this.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:59

Then you should check out Papal Vuh. Very recommended. Clown

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 12:32

Russia or North Korea?

Nyet, although I am rather partial to Red Army Blues by the Waterboys. Smile

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 12:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Then you should check out Papal Vuh. Very recommended. Clown

Papal Who? That's Pope-tastic! I shall endeavour to seek them out by papal decree. Smile

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 13:24

Russia or North Korea?

Nyet

That's honestly a bit surprising.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:16

Russia or North Korea?

Nyet

That's honestly a bit surprising.

I do like a bit of Russian ballet though when I'm in the mood. Smile

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:21
This topic has become like the Nutcracker Suite, now with 80 percent more nuts. ;)

And in Pope Punk there is the Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Papal Bullocks.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This topic has become like the Nutcracker Suite, now with 80 percent more nuts. ;)

And in Pope Punk there is the Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Papal Bullocks.

And talking of the Nutcracker Suite.....

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 16:42
Symphonic Progressive: U.K. 

Jazz-Fusion: U.S.A.

Progressive Electronic: Germany.

Progressive Fusion: Japan.

Goblin: Italy.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 17:05
UK by a mile for me.
My beloved USA isn't even close.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 17:21
Paraguay! Just kidding. How can any other nation compare to the UK. More outstanding bands per capita than any other nation in history and i'm talking every genre! Ok maybe not jazz :)

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: OhioBrit
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 18:17
I don't really get why its even a question. It's a cultural thing, not a contest. .... I'm English, but if it were not prog, then it might have been C&W, If that kind of abomination happens to you, you just gotta go with the flow and accept that your weirdness is not geography, it's just who you are as a person. Different smokes for different junkies.
Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies
That have spread like disease through our minds.

Yeah, I did that, sorry :(

Seriously though, I know we all want to be the best at something, but when, for instance did anyone ever hear an Indian guy claim to throw the best hoedown?

I should probably apologise, I just viewed an old thread where there was a debate about the origins of prog.... I'll shut up now.:(

Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 18:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Paraguay! Just kidding. How can any other nation compare to the UK. More outstanding bands per capita than any other nation in history and i'm talking every genre! Ok maybe not jazz :)

No, not every genre. See my list. Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 19:17
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

No, not every genre. See my list. Wink

OK, you got me there. I recently thought about this myself and i realized that a huge amount of my favorite artists are from the UK. Something in the tea perhaps?

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 23:02
UK was always going to win this one by a landslide.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 23:56
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

UK was always going to win this one by a landslide.

yep 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:32
The question being 'most consistent' not best then obviously Italy is the correct answer!

Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:35

France is one that struck me as having at least one album in like in almost every category at PA and having many I love.most consistently good, for me, across categories. It also has the two bands that I have the largest Prog collections from, Magma and Art Zoyd. As a Zeuhl and RIO lover, France is very strong, but it has many albums I adore across many categories. If this were about Canterbury Scne, the UK would surely takes it despite having havourites outside of the UK such as Cos, Picchio dal Pozzo, Supersister, Zyma, and Moving Gelatine PLates plus mnay great Japenese ones inclusing the modern The Winstons. Actually, so much of the Canterbury SOund I love exists out of the UK. For folk the UK wins for me. Not just what's in PA, but Nick Drake is da bomb for me.

- Canterbury Sound: Moving Gelatine Plates (both albums)
- Crossover: Jason Havelock - Pop Symphony (sadly lost the album in a flood -- was a most treasured vinyl of mine)
- Eclectic: Jean-Claude Vannier - L'enfant assassians des mouches (my fave album in Eclectic) and Plat du Jour
- Experimental/Post Metal: Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde (it's post-metal)
- Heavy Prog: Ocean - God's Clown
- Indo-Prog/Raga Rock: Andre Fertier's Clivage - Mixtus Orbis and debut (I love Clivage so much)
- Krautrock: Lard Free is awesome
- Neo-prog: Marc Ceccotti - Sometimes Around Saturn (not sure how Neo-prog the album is, but I do like it whatever one calls it)
- Jazz-Rock/Fusion: Rahmann - Rahmann (one of my faves in PA) and Abus Dangereux
- Post Rock: Natural Snow Buildings The Winter Ray (actually don't see it in PA and if the band were included it might be in folk, but that is a post rock meets acid folk and drone album)
- Prog Folk: Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis - Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis (Catherine Ribeiro and Alpes is here under Psych, but I put her under Pychedelic Avant Folk for Alpes and other work) A favourite of mine.
- Progressive Electronic: Zanov and Igor Wakhevitch (two of my absolute favourite artists in PA)
- Progressive Metal (okay, not sure, as Diablo Swing Orchestra is not French -- I didn't think it was...)
- Psych/ Space: Alain Goraguer - La Plančte Sauvage (OST) (I love this soundtrack so very much -- another top fave of mine from France)
- RIO/ Avant - Art Zoyd (so many albums I love). This is the band I commonly call my favourite and there is so much RIO/Avant from France that I adore. Hellebore is a lesser know n fave which I will mention.
- Rock Progressivo Italiano: okay, that presents a problem. Unlike Krautrock of canterbury which has expoerted itself into other areas as a sound, RPI is more regional in terms of classification. I have heard what sounds very RPI to my ears from South America. Italy was a contender for me, and actually I listen to a huge amount of Italian music (most of it not in PA)
- Symphonic Prog - Clearlight - Clearlight Symphony (may be my favourite album included in Symph at PA. Love it. And out of PA, WIllaim Shller's Lux Aeterna (not quite sure of best classification for that).
- Zeuhl - Magma! But also Dun, Eskaton, Archaïa Shub-Niggurath, Weidorje and so many others. For a bigtime Zeuhl lover for me, this category alone would make France uberstrong in this poll.
- Prog Related: Much as I like the big name of Jarre, Gerard Manset is my boy. I love La mort d'Orion, and I'd call it Eclectic Prog.
Proto_Prog: Les Maledictus SOund. Love this album, glad to see it's finally in PA as I suggested it a decade ago.

So yeah, vive la France.

-------------

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 02:32
I voted for UK despite my favorite band is not from there (Kansas) but there are so many bands I really like from UK, UK was always going to win this poll no questions asked. I'm from Australia and I doubt we will get many votes Tongue

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Finland.

Yesterday I was digging threw the Svart Label's vinyl re-releases and I must say I'm totally psyched! I ordered Finnforest, Malady, Pekka Pohjola and Tasavallan Presidentti. Will look for a reprint of Haikara as well.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 05:54
Well, I think the greatest progband is Finnish (Wigwam), but when thinking the amount of great prog, I have to vote UK.

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 05:55

LOL

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 05:59
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Finland.

Yesterday I was digging threw the Svart Label's vinyl re-releases and I must say I'm totally psyched! I ordered Finnforest, Malady, Pekka Pohjola and Tasavallan Presidentti. Will look for a reprint of Haikara as well.
I was bit surprised when somebody ask me in discogs to sell my copy of Kalevalaīs People No Names (yellow vinyl svart re-release). Then noticed there wasnīt any cd-version of it, also there were only Mayfair-re-release available (two couples). Haikaraīs album situation is lot better.

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:11

Finland.

I was quite serious in my suggestion of Finland...obviously the number of artists and volume of albums does not compete with larger countries, but across everything I have heard the quality is consistently high. And for a nation that even now has less than 6 million people the number of really great albums is remarkable, I think.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:20

Finland.

I was quite serious in my suggestion of Finland...obviously the number of artists and volume of albums does not compete with larger countries, but across everything I have heard the quality is consistently high. And for a nation that even now has less than 6 million people the number of really great albums is remarkable, I think.
Great to hear there are Finnprog fans outside Finland (I remember naturally you). I think also although number of progbands in sixties/seventies werenīt very high, there are very little I donīt like. On the other hand I havenīt ever been very much after seventies Finnish prog as I havenīt also other after seventies prog. Absoluuttinen Nollapiste is really great though!

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:34
^^ My favourite Finnish band are Nightwish, although they're the start and finish of my knowledge of Finnish bands. Smile

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 10:16

^^ My favourite Finnish band are Nightwish, although they're the start and finish of my knowledge of Finnish bands. Smile
I havenīt ever cared much Nightwish although nothing against it (specially when there arenīt that horrible opera singer anymore). I believe you would like some older Finnish prog, for example Tasavallan Presidentti. There is one of the few Finnish guitar heroīs Jukka Tolonen, also in their two first albums sing Brit Frank Robson (in case Finnish language or accent bothers you).

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I havenīt ever cared much Nightwish although nothing against it (specially when there arenīt that horrible opera singer anymore). I believe you would like some older Finnish prog, for example Tasavallan Presidentti. There is one of the few Finnish guitar heroīs Jukka Tolonen, also in their two first albums sing Brit Frank Robson (in case Finnish language or accent bothers you).
The main reason  Nightwish are one of my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal bands is down to the opera singer Tarja Turunen. Smile

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:00
UK obviously, and not just because I'm English.

Other nations have chipped in with good stuff, but the UK has to be the undisputed prog superpower.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I'm from Australia and I doubt we will get many votes Tongue

No, not even from Australians.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:52
When I think Australia, I think Cybotron.

I threw a vote to Japan because I probably own as many Japanese albums (various genres) as I do UK/US.

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:02

I threw a vote to Japan because I probably own as many Japanese albums (various genres) as I do UK/US.
I really like Japanese Rock too, but it's mainly for their phenomenal Psychedelic Rock output and not for Progressive Rock. "Nihonjin" by Far Out is one of my all-time Jap-Psych favourites. Smile

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:21

I really like Japanese Rock too, but it's mainly for their phenomenal Psychedelic Rock output and not for Progressive Rock. "Nihonjin" by Far Out is one of my all-time Jap-Psych favourites. Smile

Japan is a trip. You can find scores of albums, all good if not great, in just about any style. And. yes, some fine, fine psych! Angel'in Heavy Syrup is one of my faves. Of course, I love their prog-fusion, e.g. Kenso, Pochakaite Malko, Mongol, Kennedy!, etc., and the symph (Motoi Sakuraba, Ars Nova, Interpose, Gerard, etc.!

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:29
Another couple of Japanese Psych bands that I really like are Flower Travelling Band and Far East Family Band.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 16:11
Italy I think.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 21:14

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

The main reason  Nightwish are one of my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal bands is down to the opera singer Tarja Turunen. Smile
Oh God how different our views to great music are! Wink Anyway although you have too much music to listen as I have also, I hope you someday listen something else from Finland, because Nightwish really isnīt the only jewel from Finland. I think Circle could also be something you like, at least Mika Rättö has also really opera style in vocals (heīs style I love!)

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 21:16

Japan is a trip. You can find scores of albums, all good if not great, in just about any style. And. yes, some fine, fine psych! Angel'in Heavy Syrup is one of my faves. Of course, I love their prog-fusion, e.g. Kenso, Pochakaite Malko, Mongol, Kennedy!, etc., and the symph (Motoi Sakuraba, Ars Nova, Interpose, Gerard, etc.!
Not knowing much of Japan music, but I really love Melt-Banana, Ghost is also really good!

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 09:58
Nightwish = Class....excellent operatic prog metal...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Saddest thing I have ever seen here ... specially when we know that many folks don't listen to anything else ... can't even call it "prog nationalism" ... you see, the rest of the world is full of uneducated savages that can't play 4/4 music with the same Fenders and Marshall stacks! Embarrassed  Tongue  Wink

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:42
Having seen the results of this poll, I suppose I shouldn't feel too guilty about most of my polls having a decidedly British bias. Smile

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:45

Having seen the results of this poll, I suppose I shouldn't feel too guilty about most of my polls having a decidedly British bias. Smile
Oh, absolutely not. The British really own prog as a rock music genre. Perhaps the only one.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Oh, absolutely not. The British really own prog as a rock music genre. Perhaps the only one.

Thanks! It's nice to have some support for British prog from the other side of the Atlantic. Smile

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 18:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Saddest thing I have ever seen here ... specially when we know that many folks don't listen to anything else ... can't even call it "prog nationalism" ... you see, the rest of the world is full of uneducated savages that can't play 4/4 music with the same Fenders and Marshall stacks! Embarrassed  Tongue  Wink

Really the saddest... everything that is posted here is sad to you... or well, at least about 95% of the stuff posted here, and a good deal of that is the saddest thing, so I don't really understand the definition of saddest for you.

Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 15:03
I've just been going through my own personal Symphonic Rock database and discovered to my surprise that out of the 146 artists listed there, the vast majority are German. In fact, only three major Symphonic Rock bands turned out to be British:- Electric Light Orchestra; The Enid & Renaissance. Smile

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 18 2020 at 22:43
Other. Planet Gong.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 02:17
U.K. shouldn't be included. It's a no brainer pick. I mean, British dominance in prog is tenfold greater than Gretzky in hockey (there is no Bobby Orr in prog). I think it should be between Sweden, Germany and Italy, with Netherlands, France and USA not far behind.

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 02:24
If it was a Psychedelic Rock poll by nation I'd vote:-

1. United States
2. Japan
3. Germany
4. England
5. Holland

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 02:31
If it was Thrash Metal poll by nation I'd vote:

1. South California
2. Teutonic
3. East Coast
4. Bay Area
5. Brazil

Wink

Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 02:33
^^ If it was a Thrash Metal poll, I'd vote for Antarctica, as that's where I'd go to get away from it. Smile

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 19 2020 at 16:35
Yeah. the British are the best. Now that that's settled, can the stream of "British only" threads please stop?

Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 00:11

^^ If it was a Thrash Metal poll, I'd vote for Antarctica, as that's where I'd go to get away from it. Smile

such a gratuitous comment ConfusedLOL

Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 08:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yeah. the British are the best. Now that that's settled, can the stream of "British only" threads please stop?

Hard to deny, they are hard to beat. And yes, I can smell it too...that strange odour emanating from these threads...the stinking smell of some sort of clumsy propaganda?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk