Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122227
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 15:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Gong
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: Favorite Gong
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:33
Gong... such a great band. I loved both Allen and Moerlen's Gong. I have listed only the albums I own or have heard. What is your favorite? For me it's either Camembert (because of Pip on drums),You (Hillage in his prime), or Gazuese! beause of Holdsworth... he made that album shine. 

How about you?

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:40
Fantastic band, going with You

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:41
I like plenty of Gong albums, but the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy has meant the most to me.   I vote for Gong's You. That has been a really special album to me.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 14:53
Here's my favourite Gong.....

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 15:03
Thought someone might say T. Rex's "Bang a Gong (Get it on)". My favourite gong was Gong Li (A Chinese actress who was in various of my favourite films).

I love You, the album I mean. This is the first track I heard of Gong.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 15:04
Angel's Egg, Gazeuse! and Expresso II are the ones I listened to the most from this list.
I hope I can make some time to relisten to them a bit and then vote. Big smile

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 15:22
Favourite Gong songs.....

Blackmore's Night - Gong with the Wind
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Long Time Gong
Deacon Blue - Real Gong Kid
The Eagles - Already Gong
Hall & Oates - She's Gong
B.B. King - The Thrill is Gong
Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gong
Lucifer's Friend - When You're Gong
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gong
Rainbow - Since You've Been Gong
Van Halen - Where Have All the Good Times Gong?

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 15:41
Gazeuse! hits the right spot for me, but I'm also quite fond of Angel's Egg, You and Downwind

Posted By: HarryAngel746
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 15:56
While I also love Camembert Electrique and Radio Gnome Trilogy (there's never enough love) with space and frivolous saxophone melodies and I like later jazz-rock Gezause etc...

I'll say perversly that my favourite Gong is Gong in disguise Evil Smile

on Dashiell Hedayat's 1971 album "Obsolete" there're:
Gilli Smyth, Christian Titsch, Pip Pyle, Didier Malherbe and Daevid Allen...
- big part of Gong Family, so it's like it was Gong.

Obsolete 1971 full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YBfvPTdMU&list=RD08iZPvDeigo&index=5" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YBfvPTdMU&list=RD08iZPvDeigo&index=5
very "outsider" album
after "Cielo Drive" nothing will be the same (of course if we follow the instructions written on the album) Wink

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 16:41
It's a nice poll theme and I vote for Gazeuse! out of these. My favourite would actually have been Shamal (you probably left that out just to give me something to complain Wink), just about, and I also love much of Pierre Moerlen's Gong's material, particularly Downwind.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 17:19
I actually prefer ANgel's Egg but You is a close second. I do love Gazeuse and Shamal as well.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 19:00
Gong est Mort

Superbe album live.

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 19:23
You, followed by Moerlen's albums.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 23:55
You

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:06
Not very familiar with this band, but You is a masterpiece.

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 01:35
Angel's Egg here.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 02:17
Teapot!

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 02:36
Voted: Dinner

Not really, I'm rather fond of the Pierre Moerlen 'Straight Edge' Gong franchise album Gazeuse!

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 06:29
Angel's Egg for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 07:26
"You" for me, ahem. 

I always found Gong irritating. Good musicianship, but...... 

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 13:57
I like Moerlenīs Gong too, but prefer Allenīs. I would have taken Magick Brother, but because it isnīt here, itīs Teapot.

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:50
I Never Did Glid Before on its own sent Angel's Egg to the top for me

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:57
Angel's Egg

-------------
Same person as this profile:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 16:48

Perhaps would have gone with Gazeuse! ... really like that album;
but I consider it a bit special Gong album..
Let's go with something more representative... Let's say...
You, easily;
but wait!
Live etc. has only 1 vote??
no way!
voted Live etc. ..the first one I met (though I think not voting for it for that reason).
Shamal would have made for a nice 4th place...

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:20
Gong has so many great albums. Angel's Egg gets my vote.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 15:56
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

Perhaps would have gone with Gazeuse! ... really like that album;
but I consider it a bit special Gong album..
Let's go with something more representative... Let's say...
You, easily;
but wait!
Live etc. has only 1 vote??
no way!
voted Live etc. ..the first one I met (though I think not voting for it for that reason).
Shamal would have made for a nice 4th place...

Gong Live etc... was my choice as well. Gutted it's not being reissued but at least I've got The Isle of Everywhere from Hyde Park on the second disc of You (even though the Get It Inner part was clearly edited from somewhere else on Live etc.)
Was very, very tempted to vote for I See You as "Thank You" is really a great Daevid Allen song.
But it doesn't matter if you've heard it (to paraphrase it)

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:18
Hi,

There is no chance that I can select a favorite ... although the one album I probably mention the most is YOU, but the whole band, solos and other musics (specially Daevid, Gilli and Steve) have so much outstanding stuff that choosing is a lost cause for me ... I love them all and was glad to have spent time with them!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:08
"Shamal" is missing on the list. and their best live album is "Live au Bataclan". two tracks from that album, "You Can't Kill Me" and "Zero the Hero", can also be found on "Gong Live Etc.", but only in shortened versions. only "Live au Bataclan" has the full versions with full-length solos. for some reason "Zero the Hero" is named "Tic Toc" on "Live au Bataclan". the band is in absolute top form on that album, especially drummer Pierre Moerlen.

here a link to "Live au Bataclan" on youtube:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: February 22 2020 at 07:43
Also missing... Downwind (Moerlen's band). So I voted for Live Etc.

Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Also missing... Downwind (Moerlen's band). So I voted for Live Etc.

.... welcome all magick brothers and mystic sisters ... 

Still the album I love to rock out on!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:17
The one right at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody.

As for the band, their music to me always seemed to be the ultimate in tripped out acid, psych, hippy mood music for a mood I was never in.

Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

As for the band, their music to me always seemed to be the ultimate in tripped out acid, psych, hippy mood music for a mood I was never in.

I disagree. And seeing this being redone, almost note for note, 20 to 30 years later, means that there was a lot more in it, that we did not see ... "You" might have been their last dope album, but to be able to play it live, they would not have been able to be that stoned, and seeing the band live (1st time in 1995) and talking to Mike Howlett, he said something to the effect that folks write what they wanted to ... and that he would not have been able to play as well stoned ... he said he was too important a cog in the wheel to help it stay up straight and do it ... and it showed ... I've never heard him hit a wrong note, even in any video out there!

Compared to the old Fillmore days, half of which most bands disappeared because they could not "redo" what they just did on stage ... and even the folks at The Grateful Dead had you pinched ... Bob Weir says that in his special ... we would not have been able to play as much as we did if we were that ripped!

Give the music itself some credit please ... there are some SERIOUS MUSICIANS out there, and they are not idiots or take their work frivolously!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I disagree. And seeing this being redone, almost note for note, 20 to 30 years later, means that there was a lot more in it, that we did not see ... "You" might have been their last dope album, but to be able to play it live, they would not have been able to be that stoned, and seeing the band live (1st time in 1995) and talking to Mike Howlett, he said something to the effect that folks write what they wanted to ... and that he would not have been able to play as well stoned ... he said he was too important a cog in the wheel to help it stay up straight and do it ... and it showed ... I've never heard him hit a wrong note, even in any video out there!

Compared to the old Fillmore days, half of which most bands disappeared because they could not "redo" what they just did on stage ... and even the folks at The Grateful Dead had you pinched ... Bob Weir says that in his special ... we would not have been able to play as much as we did if we were that ripped!

Give the music itself some credit please ... there are some SERIOUS MUSICIANS out there, and they are not idiots or take their work frivolously!

You disagree, great.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 21:21
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

I Never Did Glid Before on its own sent Angel's Egg to the top for me

That's a really cool tune, I agree. And I also voted for Angel's Egg. For me(and I just recently discovered this band through this site) the favorites so far are the debut and the albums in the Trilogy. I don't like the second album as much as a lot of people seem to for some reason.

Really fun band. Best discovery for me in a while.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 19:08
Voted for Flying Teapot

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:52
Woah I listened to Gazeuse! this morning and I really liked it! Hadn't listened to that one yet. I love instrumentals and I don't think I heard any singing on that. Nice jazzy sound, good stuff.

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 16:05
All of Trilogy Gong and all their live stuff

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 17:18
"You" for sure!  Amazing work....

I was lucky to see Gong in Chicago at a small club (Cubby Bear) on two consecutive nights!  Guitarist was Steffi Sharpstrings.  Bloomdido, Daevid, etc. were there as well.  It was, well, amazing!  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 17:18
I'm an old softie for Time Is They Key which I heard for the first time at a head/record shop that didn't last long because it was driven out of business.  But I heard it there first and it was my first or second Gong album.  Expresso (USA title) was likely my first.  I really liked it but this one clicked me when I heard it on the store's sound system.  I didn't get into Daevid Allen era Gong until a while after that.  But Daevid considered all incarnations to be Gong. or so I've heard or read.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 00:38
You  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk