Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122299
Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 17:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Witches
Posted By: LAM-SGC
Subject: Witches
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 19:10
No. 4 is now jointly Kate Bush & Jethro Tull ;)
This is just a bit of fun, and was initially only really intended as a straight Arena v Rush vote, even when I had Arena and Rush at the top followed by a load of hard rock and metal songs.
No. 7 is now all versions of Season of the Witch. Incidentally, my favourite version was on the Bloomfueld, Cooper, Stills Super Session, which I had on LP many years before I even knew it was a Donovan song.

Replies:
Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 20:16
Just wondering if this poll is in the right section ? Tongue

Date Posted: February 20 2020 at 20:44

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:37
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Just wondering if this poll is in the right section ? Tongue

It is now, I changed it to three prog songs.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:56
I would have voted for Season of the Witch by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity if it had been included in the poll. Smile

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:58
Opeth...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 14:37
Season of the Witch...Donovan

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 14:58
Fourth blank forever. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 15:03
^ yeah, forth blank rocks! Clap

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 15:11

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 15:23
Lend me your ear while I call you a fool...

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 15:53
Witches Promise - Jethro Tull, Waking the Witch - Kate Bush, Witchy Woman - Eagles (non-prog, I know), The Witch Queen of New Orleans - Redbone (more non-prog), they're all ok, but...

Witch Hunt beats them all.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 15:58
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Witches Promise - Jethro Tull, Waking the Witch - Kate Bush, Witchy Woman - Eagles (non-prog, I know), The Witch Queen of New Orleans - Redbone (more non-prog), they're all ok, but...

Witch Hunt beats them all.
I prefer your poll because there are more albums to choose from. I vote for Redbone. Smile

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 16:03

...but...

Kate Bush's is actually the best.

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 16:07
How about Picketty Witch? Tongue

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 16:45
Witch's Promise - Jethro Tull, followed by Fleetwood Mac's Black Magic Woman. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 17:06
Yea, the blanks are for whatever you want.;)

Witchcraft by Witchcraft is amazing.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 19:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I would have voted for Season of the Witch by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity if it had been included in the poll. Smile

There are a few good versions out there ... Guy Guden used to play 5 (or was it 6) of them back to back at Halloween time ... it was far out ... and I STILL do not know who 2 of those versions are! I'm pretty sure one of those was Vanilla Fudge.

So that makes three ... and he would add ... the version by The Masked Marauders ... which was by far the most fun of them all!

But this poll doesn't have The Masked Marauders!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 20:01

But still..

JT's The Witch's Promise for me.

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: February 21 2020 at 23:47
Oh, alright, if we're just namechecking 'Witch' songs - 'Witch' by Kevin Coyne. Which isn't even remotely prog, but is superb.

...come to think of it, it probably is remotely prog.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: February 22 2020 at 00:41
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Oh, alright, if we're just namechecking 'Witch' songs - 'Witch' by Kevin Coyne. Which isn't even remotely prog, but is superb.

...come to think of it, it probably is remotely prog.

That's the spirit, just pick a witch!
One of my very favourites is Hopkins (The Witchfinder General) by the English doom metal band Cathedral.

Date Posted: February 22 2020 at 01:49
STEEL MILL - Mijo and the Laying of the Witch (from the album "Green-Eyed God" - 1972)

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 22 2020 at 04:21
I would like to add Shakti Yoni the good witch alias Gilli Smyth.
Her introduction song on Gong's "Flying Teapot" album is "Witch's Song /
I am your Pussy". Shakti (<span lang="sa-Deva">शक्ति in Sanskrit) </span>is
a Hindu Goddess. In Hinduism there are many Goddesses, but they are all
seen as different manifestations of Shakti. She also is the wife of
each member of the Trimurti (a trinity of Gods): Brahma (ब्रह्मा) the creator as Sarasvati (<span ="Deva" style="font-style:normal" lang="sa-Deva">सरस्वती)</span>, Vishnu (<span style="font-style:normal" lang="sa-Deva">विष्णु</span>) the preserver as Lakshmi (लक्ष्मी), and Shiva (<span lang="sa">शिव) the destroyer as Parvati (</span>पार्वती).
Yoni (योनि), by the way, is the representation of the female sexual
organ in Sanskrit; the male counterpart is Lingam (लिङ्गम).

The song is sung by Gilli Smyth alias Shakti Yoni and Daevid Allen alias Zero the Hero. Here are the lyrics:

Shakti Yoni:

"I am your pussy
You are my tramp

I'm a cat with a flat cap
Be careful or I might scratch you
Or turn into a witch
And fly away on my broomstick

I only want to know you
I only want to lick you...
Every bit of fish and chips that I can find to feed you
Give it to you...."

Zero the Hero:

|Cos I love you love you love you
I only want to know you
I only want to lick you
I only want to feed you
Every bit of fish and chips that I can find to feed you
Give it to you"

And here is the song:

The
word "pussy" in this song is obviously ambiguous; there are references
to both "cat" and "yoni" meanings in the song ("I only want to lick you". Yeah, lick a
cat). And what exactly does it mean that Zero the Hero offers "fish and
chips" to Shakti Yoni?

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: February 22 2020 at 06:33
Häxan by Dungen is my fave and it's not on the list unfortunately.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:00
Hi,

Still no comment on THE MASKED MARAUDERS?

WOW ... 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:43
Mark Fry's "The Witch" was the first one that came to my mind when I saw this topic. Forgot to respond at the time. Also Donovan's Season of the Witch and Gong's "Witch's Song / I am your Pussy". And Mandingo's "Witchdoctor" (since Mandingo III is one of my favourite albums).

Since I love so-called folk horror, there must be a lot of folk horror type music that would fit.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:57

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 16:02
I vote for the fourth blank selection .. and pretend it is 'witches promise' by jethro Tull Tongue

Date Posted: February 27 2020 at 16:13
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I vote for the fourth blank selection .. and pretend it is 'witches promise' by jethro Tull Tongue

Ok, that's what it is then unless the Kate Bush camp object

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 01:40
In response to some of the comments, several of the heavier tracks being mentioned were included in my poll on the same subject, which was called Hex Metallum and which was completely ignored.

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 01:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Mark Fry's "The Witch" was the first one that came to my mind when I saw this topic. Forgot to respond at the time. Also Donovan's Season of the Witch and Gong's "Witch's Song / I am your Pussy". And Mandingo's "Witchdoctor" (since Mandingo III is one of my favourite albums).

Since I love so-called folk horror, there must be a lot of folk horror type music that would fit.

Great, and with footage from Pogle's Wood.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 14:37
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

That Witch in the first series of the Pogles terrified me as a child; ive recently bought the DVD of those early series (rescued from Oliver Postgate's archive) from www.dragons-friendly-society.co.uk
 Apart from the many mentioned already, the one which comes to mind is actually Psych/ Proto prog:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.45cat.com%2Frecord%2Ff23058fr&psig=AOvVaw0GKoU2iLW5QGO0UkGCWvXn&ust=1583012177625000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJCFkJqa9ecCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ" rel="nofollow">Image result for the rattles the witch
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxYe36wBH4v0&psig=AOvVaw0GKoU2iLW5QGO0UkGCWvXn&ust=1583012177625000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJCFkJqa9ecCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD" rel="nofollow">Image result for the rattles the witch

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:02
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

That Witch in the first series of the Pogles terrified me as a child; ive recently bought the DVD of those early series (rescued from Oliver Postgate's archive) from www.dragons-friendly-society.co.uk
 Apart from the many mentioned already, the one which comes to mind is actually Psych/ Proto prog:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.45cat.com%2Frecord%2Ff23058fr&psig=AOvVaw0GKoU2iLW5QGO0UkGCWvXn&ust=1583012177625000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJCFkJqa9ecCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ" rel="nofollow">Image result for the rattles the witch
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxYe36wBH4v0&psig=AOvVaw0GKoU2iLW5QGO0UkGCWvXn&ust=1583012177625000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJCFkJqa9ecCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD" rel="nofollow">Image result for the rattles the witch

About ten years ago, some kind soul on a forum sent me a whole bunch of cd-r with Pogle's Wood and loads of other Postgate stuff. I also have a CD with lots of Vernon Eliot music for the various Postgate productions - Ivor the Engine was my favourite.

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:15

Frank Zappa - Drowning Witch

ohh missed that if was already mentioned

-------------
Same person as this profile:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:15
Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger - Season of the Witch

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:22

Jethro Tull - Witch's Promise

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:29
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Boy Witch

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 28 2020 at 22:00

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 01:12
Magenta - Revolutions album had a piece that was referred to as 'The White Witch'. 

Donovan's The Season of The Witch was used as the theme for Season 2 of Britannia on Sky (in the UK). A truly bonkers TV show if ever there was one but great fun!

Date Posted: March 02 2020 at 06:28
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

each member of the Trimurti (a trinity of Gods): Brahma (ब्रह्मा) the creator as Sarasvati (<span ="Deva" style="font-style:normal" lang="sa-Deva">सरस्वती)</span>, Vishnu (<span style="font-style:normal" lang="sa-Deva">विष्णु</span>) the preserver as Lakshmi (लक्ष्मी), and Shiva (<span lang="sa">शिव) the destroyer as Parvati (</span>पार्वती).

The song is sung by Gilli Smyth alias Shakti Yoni and Daevid Allen alias Zero the Hero. Here are the lyrics:

Shakti Yoni:

I am your pussy
You are my tramp....

[more lyrics etc.]

Copyright, stop posting conplete song lyrics, unless you want the thread to be locked.

-------------
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.

Date Posted: March 02 2020 at 16:22
Yes, we have a rule against that as this site can face legal action. Excerpts and parodies are fine. It's best not to quote in full in such cases either as that compounds the issue. I'll edit both posts.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 10:12

Yes, we have a rule against that as this site can face legal action. Excerpts and parodies are fine. It's best not to quote in full in such cases either as that compounds the issue. I'll edit both posts.

Hi,

I agree 100% ... however, I think there are limits to the legal action ... for example, you and I can quote Shakespeare as much as we like, or Dante, or Don Quixote ... but anything within the last half century (28 years plus 28 years possible renewal I think it was ... have to check what was done with my dad's work! It's all a secret, you know ... !!!) might be alright, although I am concerned with the movie studios owning stuff for a lot longer than they should and not let it by. The worst story of these is FZ's 200 Motels, that still was not owned by the family when Gail passed. And the movie company sold it to another company so they could "renew" all the rights to themselves!

Normally, my quotes are a sentence or two ... and sometimes paraphrased on purpose!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 10:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I agree 100% ... however, I think there are limits to the legal action ... for example, you and I can quote Shakespeare as much as we like, or Dante, or Don Quixote ... but anything within the last half century (28 years plus 28 years possible renewal I think it was ... have to check what was done with my dad's work! It's all a secret, you know ... !!!) might be alright, although I am concerned with the movie studios owning stuff for a lot longer than they should and not let it by. The worst story of these is FZ's 200 Motels, that still was not owned by the family when Gail passed. And the movie company sold it to another company so they could "renew" all the rights to themselves!

Normally, my quotes are a sentence or two ... and sometimes paraphrased on purpose!

The length of the copyright life depends on what country you are in and on how the copyright of any given text is managed and why the text was written.. But most importantly which laws govern this website.

I don't know what your 28 years refers to. I work with texts and books and standard copyright law in the UK and USA is typically 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was written "for hire" then the period is much longer.

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 12:44

Shakti Yoni:

I am your pussy
You are my tramp....

[more lyrics etc.]

Copyright, stop posting conplete song lyrics, unless you want the thread to be locked.

Seriously? The lyrics can be found on numerous websites; why don't they have problems with copyright? And this is by no means the first time someone posted complete lyrics to a song. I have never seen this being critisized before.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 13:18
^ Please see this topic: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51801" rel="nofollow - Copyrighted material - A warning (CLICK) ,and if you have concerns/ suggestions, then M@x would be the best one to try and speak with.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:12
That post was from 2008, and there have been countless examples of posted lyrics since that time.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:17

Shakti Yoni:

I am your pussy
You are my tramp....

[more lyrics etc.]

Seriously? The lyrics can be found on numerous websites; why don't they have problems with copyright? And this is by no means the first time someone posted complete lyrics to a song. I have never seen this being critisized before.

They do have problems. In the last five years or so the abuses of copyright have got so out of hand on the net, that owners and authorites have really started cracking down on it. You may have noticed for example that you can't post music on your Facebook page anymore because FB has had a Shazam type bot in opeartion since about 2017. But copyright law applies to everyone, eventhough most people ignore it. But things are changing.

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 14:36

That post was from 2008, and there have been countless examples of posted lyrics since that time.

That topic is still there, visible, and meant to be read in the subforum at the top of the board: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=78" rel="nofollow - "Site rules and guidelines". The policy remains the same, as does much of the legal framework of this site from the early days. That this has not consistently been acted on does not negate the policy (it's not like content is constantly being watched by trained police or anything like that).

In my work, copyright, fair use/fair dealing is also a very important consideration. You might get more of a sense if you speak to a lawyer, or do your own research, and contact M@x (although he can be hard to get in touch with).

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 07:41

I don't know what your 28 years refers to. I work with texts and books and standard copyright law in the UK and USA is typically 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was written "for hire" then the period is much longer.

I had to renew my screenplay copyright after 28 years!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 08:28

In what country?

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 19:34

In what country?

Here in America. Library of Congress to be exact, is where the check went!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 13 2020 at 18:54
Witches by Roald Dahl, great book and film

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 15:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Season of the Witch...Donovan

Absolutely incredible experience my favourite version of this song Donavan is fabulous imho

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 16:08
easy poll choice.. .. but a much harder choice as to which version of Season of the Witch to choose from.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

YAAAAAAAAS

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 23:59
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

But still..

JT's The Witch's Promise for me.

^^^I actually meant to quote this one sorry. This one gets YAAAAAAAAAS.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 15 2020 at 09:41

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk