Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122408
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 06:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bands Successfully Reflecting Their Old Spirit
Posted By: Shadowyzard
Subject: Bands Successfully Reflecting Their Old Spirit
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 06:25
Here, let's talk about seasoned bands that are able to make potent and soulful albums after all those years.

The first 2 bands that came to my mind are Eloy and Gryphon. I think Eloy's "Ocean 2: The Answer" is very well done in this regard. The latter's "ReInvention" is also a success story.

Anyone want to add and/or discuss?

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 06:32
Pendragon - Love Over Fear, quite possibly their masterwork 41 years into their career.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 06:43
I think this depends entirely on the ineluctable vagaries of the market i.e will sufficient people buy an album by (insert 70's Prog ensemble here) to make the investment by a record company/distributor viable? That said, if Eloy and Gryphon are doing this entirely under their own steam via their own website downloads, are there sufficient sales to sustain touring and future product?

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 06:46
Deep Purple
Uriah Heep
Marillion
IQ
Queensryche 
Anekdoten
Spock's Beard (yes, i enjoy the albums with Ted Leonard)
Fates Warning
Threshold

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 06:48
I cannot answer this question. Yet I doubt if almost any band's members are able to make money from album sales anymore. If I have to guess, Eloy and Gryphon should be able to find enough crowd for live performances. Album success is a plus, but sufficient number of fans would attend their concerts anyway, I daresay.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 08:06
Bubu
Dalton
Celeste
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 08:31
I can't think of a better example than Magma for continuing to make potent and soulful albums after all those years.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 08:38
Strawbs

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 08:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I can't think of a better example than Magma for continuing to make potent and soulful albums after all those years.

Hi,

No kidding ... and what a great example this is of what great music can do for a band.

I think it depends ... on each and every band ... another one that is incredible, is BANCO ... who lost Francesco di Giacomo, its voice and for many of us it might have signaled the end of the band ... but then all of a sudden there is a new album and Vittorio Nocenzi is now the leader (I think -- don't know), and it is just as good as the early stuff, even if we might miss what really was the classical singer that Francesco was that created such an amazing band, totally different than every rock/whatever kind of band. (TRANSIBERIANA) ...

Not many bands can make that jump and stick together ... but when you see one ... it's not a miracle, but it shows how well they worked together to create a piece of music ... and continued doing so. The true mark of an artist!

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Strawbs

Hi,

And I like their latest ... shame that it does not get better sales or responses. That main song, is a very good one and very strong ... but I think it hits people not quite right! (... it might have been springsteen ...)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 08:56

Strawbs

Absolutely. The Ferryman's Curse is very good.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 09:35

Magma is a good pick as is Gryphon. I'll suggest Comus who's return after a few decades was surprisingly good.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: foregonillusions
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 12:02
Kansas' 2016 album, The Prelude Implicit, is a good example.

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 12:04
Ah, I have yet to listen to the new Kansas album.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 12:06
Izz
Echolyn
Spock's Beard - until Neal left
Mike Keneally
Special Providence
Sanguine Hum
Dream Theater
Frank Zappa
Big Big Train
Fates Warning
Gong
Allan Holdsworth

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 13:32
Goblin, of course. Eloy and Kansas, too.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Hear hear.New album coming out in June.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 13:43
Magma, Bubu and Gryphon are fine examples, but let's not forget to mention Supersister.

-------------

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 15:12
Rajaz by Camel, that’s the answer you’re looking for

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 15:37
^^ I have yet to hear that Supersister album. I love the first three albums and I like Iskander very much too.

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Rajaz by Camel, that’s the answer you’re looking for

Not saying you're wrong to do so, but I find it interesting that you would choose an album that's two years older than you as an example of a "potent and soulful album after all those years". Of course Camel released a few more after that.

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Magma is a good pick as is Gryphon. I'll suggest Comus who's return after a few decades was surprisingly good.

Comus crossed my mind too, although I actually prefer the generally ill thought of To Keep From Crying to Out of the Coma. To me Out of the Coma felt too "by numbers" and like something of a pastiche of First Utterance. I rather felt similarly about Magma's K.A. too (I called that Prog Magma by numbers or some such thing). The longest track "The Maalgard Suite" is of course an old recording and not of high audio quality. That said, I do like the album, but it seems a little soulless, not fresh, a bit like not being altogether out of a coma and being slightly mildewy. It's like jumping on the late-found success and discovery/ re-discovery of the first album, and making an album to expectations rather than showing progression and growth over the intervening years (feeling overmuch like a fan service album to me). But yes, it does reflect the old Comus spirit, and has playful quality still (Comus likes to play, play, play...) but seems less spirited to me in a way.

Said it before, but when I think of Out of the Coma I think of Spinal Tap's return with "Back from the Dead".

"...We're back from the grave
Recovered from our coma
More body than aroma
It's life that we crave..."(Spinal Tap).

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 16:24
I would add Stve Hackett and Martin Barre. Their music is fantastic, inventive and full of power.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 19:41
I'm not sure how successful it was but Yes on the Keys to ascension studio tracks from the mid 90's. It always seemed to me like they were trying to throw a bone to their hardcore fan base with those who were(are) obsessed with just the 70's era. 

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 19:52
Steeleye Span!

-------------
PROGMATIC

Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 20:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure how successful it was but Yes on the Keys to ascension studio tracks from the mid 90's. It always seemed to me like they were trying to throw a bone to their hardcore fan base with those who were(are) obsessed with just the 70's era. 

They did it, too. Those KTA tracks = the best Yes had done in a LONG time. Wakey was sizzlin'!  Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 03 2020 at 23:58
Agree with many suggestions especially Eloy and Hackett but also would add Kayak. Seventeen was a strong album but I like the 'prog opera' trilogy of Merlin, Nostradamus and Cleopatra as well.

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 00:42
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

They did it, too. Those KTA tracks = the best Yes had done in a LONG time. Wakey was sizzlin'!  Wink

Too derivative to me and it just seems like they were trying too hard to recapture their golden era. Imagine a sixty year old man trying to lose weight and get into shape just so he can fit into clothes he wore when he was in his twenties? That's how I see it more or less. I still like it to some degree but I enjoy talk more and I even think the Ladder was better at finding the balance between an old and newer sound. The keys stuff doesn't even try to be modern it's just hey let's go in the recording studio and pretend it's 1972 again. So the prog fanboy in me likes it but over all it seems a bit too contrived for me personally.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:13
I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said; but now I have some new albums to check out!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:19
Faust haven´t mentioned, their last "Fresh Air" really is as it´s name!!

Haikara made really great two albums in the nineties-2000.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 02:04
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

As a big fan of the first two Haikara albums I’ve been meaning to check these out. Just read your very useful reviews of them and I think I will track the CDs down - thanks!

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: handwrist
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 03:31
Magma for sure. I like KA and FT (2000s) better than Kontharkoz or Udo Wudu (70s).

-------------
http://handwrist.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - My Music

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9405" rel="nofollow - PA Page

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 03:52
I’ll join in on Magma. Also really dug the recent Brainticket album (RIP)...but generally speaking I find far more interesting releases in younger artists’ oevre. Like Italiano Jim used to say: rock is a young man’s game.
...with the rare exception here and there

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 04:43

Prog rock stars Genesis announce reunion 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/04/prog-rock-stars-genesis-to-announce-reunion" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/04/prog-rock-stars-genesis-to-announce-reunion

Here's hoping the reunion sparks some interest in releasing some new material together as well Tongue

Tickets for the Last Domino tour go on sale at 9am on 6 March. Genesis will play:

16 November - Dublin 3 arena
19 Nov – Belfast SSE arena
23 Nov – Liverpool M&S Bank arena
26 Nov – Leeds First Direct arena
29 Nov – London O2 arena
30 Nov – London O2 arena
2 December – Manchester arena
5 Dec – Birmingham arena
8 Dec – Glasgow SSE Hydro arena
11 Dec – Newcastle Utilita arena

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 04:46
Strawbs! Still trying to re-capture their golden era of prog. They came very close with The Ferryman's Curse album while many other 70s prog stalwarts just go through the motions. Not a fan of VDGG but they have been doing the same.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 05:00
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Hear hear.New album coming out in June.
I can't wait till June comes I get the feeling the new album from Kansas will be fantastic if 'The Prelude Implicit' is anything to go by . Tongue

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 05:36
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

As a big fan of the first two Haikara albums I’ve been meaning to check these out. Just read your very useful reviews of them and I think I will track the CDs down - thanks!
I believe you mean MattiSmile, because he´s the one who´s made reviews in PA (I have made in Finnish colossus sites, but they´re Finnish, guess you aren´t that hardcore you´ve learnt Finnish language LOL) Anyway our names are really close: Martti & Matti.

Have to say they aren´t as great as bands two first albums, but anyway really great for an old prog band. Also it could be difficult to find Tuhkamaa, I managed only download it from that Italian record company sites.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 06:46

I believe you mean MattiSmile, because he´s the one who´s made reviews in PA (I have made in Finnish colossus sites, but they´re Finnish, guess you aren´t that hardcore you´ve learnt Finnish language LOL) Anyway our names are really close: Martti & Matti.

Have to say they aren´t as great as bands two first albums, but anyway really great for an old prog band. Also it could be difficult to find Tuhkamaa, I managed only download it from that Italian record company sites.
Yes I meant Matti

Apologies to you both!

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 09:33

Yes I meant Matti

Apologies to you both!
It´s ok Big smile, accidents happen.

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 10:02
I think the Genesis announcement deserves it's own thread. Apparently it is legit though.

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:19
I wouldn't say Camel's Rajaz is a return to its former potency, but it certainly is a beautiful masterpiece. Rush's Snakes and Arrows was a very nice nod to its original punch.

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:38

Too derivative to me and it just seems like they were trying too hard to recapture their golden era.

How can they be derivative when it's their sound? It was a line-up sans Rabin. I do like Trevor (especially his pre-Yes rock), but I welcomed the return to the G4T1/Tormato sound. "That, That Is" and "Mind Drive" were the tonic we needed after the underwhelming Talk and the abysmal OYE.

Imagine a sixty year old man trying to lose weight and get into shape just so he can fit into clothes he wore when he was in his twenties? That's how I see it more or less. I still like it to some degree but I enjoy talk more and I even think the Ladder was better at finding the balance between an old and newer sound. The keys stuff doesn't even try to be modern it's just hey let's go in the recording studio and pretend it's 1972 again. So the prog fanboy in me likes it but over all it seems a bit too contrived for me personally.

Exactly what they're doing now, especially with Chris gone. Yes needs to hang it up. They're no better than Foreigner.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 14:50

Too derivative to me and it just seems like they were trying too hard to recapture their golden era.

How can they be derivative when it's their sound? It was a line-up sans Rabin. I do like Trevor (especially his pre-Yes rock), but I welcomed the return to the G4T1/Tormato sound. "That, That Is" and "Mind Drive" were the tonic we needed after the underwhelming Talk and the abysmal OYE.

Imagine a sixty year old man trying to lose weight and get into shape just so he can fit into clothes he wore when he was in his twenties? That's how I see it more or less. I still like it to some degree but I enjoy talk more and I even think the Ladder was better at finding the balance between an old and newer sound. The keys stuff doesn't even try to be modern it's just hey let's go in the recording studio and pretend it's 1972 again. So the prog fanboy in me likes it but over all it seems a bit too contrived for me personally.

Exactly what they're doing now, especially with Chris gone. Yes needs to hang it up. They're no better than Foreigner.

At one point it was their sound but the band evolved. For them to do that is like ignoring the pop success they had in the eighties which is exactly what the Yes prog snobs wanted(the "everything after GFTO sucks" mentality). To do a tip of the hat to their old sound is one thing but to revisit it for nostalgia sake they way the way did on the keys albums is another thing entirely. Nothing really wrong with that if that's what you are into but at least call it tales part 2 or "close to the edge the return" or something. I guess the RD cover art work was enough for most people. We all have our own opinions on this and I don't expect most to agree with me but that's the way I see it. Anyway, I'm done discussing this. 

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 15:34

At one point it was their sound but the band evolved. For them to do that is like ignoring the pop success they had in the eighties which is exactly what the Yes prog snobs wanted(the "everything after GFTO sucks" mentality).

With Rabin and Sherwood both absent, there was no point in doing Big Generator/Talk-type stuff. 

To do a tip of the hat to their old sound is one thing but to revisit it for nostalgia sake they way the way did on the keys albums is another thing entirely.

ABWH had already happened years earlier. 

Nothing really wrong with that if that's what you are into but at least call it tales part 2 or "close to the edge the return" or something. I guess the RD cover art work was enough for most people. We all have our own opinions on this and I don't expect most to agree with me but that's the way I see it. Anyway, I'm done discussing this. 

I don't know why you feel it's a point of contention, but numerous bands have done exactly what you described and been praised for it (and are named in this thread), e.g.—

Goblin – Back to the Goblin and Four of a Kind are exactly what I expect from them; their now-forgotten early 1980s attempt at a pop album (Volo) is not.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 15:58
ABWH sounded of it's time though. Sure it had long songs and a prog influence but not as blatantly a return to the old prog sound as KTA was. It was similar to ELP(with Powell)'s 80's album that way. Prog sound but not a blatant return to the seventies just a tip of the hat to it. All IMO. Ok, now I'm done. :)

Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:06

ABWH sounded of it's time though. Sure it had long songs and a prog influence but not as blatantly a return to the old prog sound as KTA was. It was similar to ELP(with Powell)'s 80's album that way. Prog sound but not a blatant return to the seventies just a tip of the hat to it. All IMO. Ok, now I'm done. :)

3 - To the Power of Three was much more of an attempt to sound "modern" compared to ELPowell.

The 1986 album is better. Much better. "The Score" sounds about as "ELP" as you can get, too. They also included a classical cover. What the album lacks is a side-length piece, or suite.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I think it depends ... on each and every band ... another one that is incredible, is BANCO ...(TRANSIBERIANA) ...

Hey, something I can actually agree with you regarding....although I had to edit out the superfluity.

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I would add Stve Hackett and Martin Barre. Their music is fantastic, inventive and full of power.

Agreed.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 04 2020 at 17:45
Rememering some who have left this world, Gerard Hourbette's Art Zoyd delivered top class until the end, Holger Czukay's last work is still original and fresh, as are Jaki Liebezeit's last collaborations. Reflecting the spirit of the old times perhaps, but always reinventing themselves.Cry

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 00:08

3 - To the Power of Three was much more of an attempt to sound "modern" compared to ELPowell.

The 1986 album is better. Much better. "The Score" sounds about as "ELP" as you can get, too. They also included a classical cover. What the album lacks is a side-length piece, or suite.

Greg Lake actually addressed that at the time and regarded Side One as something that was continuous and you could strap the headphones on and immerse yourself . Personally my main issue with that album was there was so little Organ but for that little tease on the third track. Also the 'shouting' was not good for my ears!
I much preferred Black Moon.
Three To The Power Of Three at least had Desde La Vide but mostly was boring AOR.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 01:22
Novum by Procol Harum is one of those albums, I think. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 04:06
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Novum by Procol Harum is one of those albums, I think. 
Yes, but the almost ignored "The Well's On Fire" that came out previously was far superior and was much more of a throw back. A pity.

-------------

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 04:18
David Bowie’s swansong Blackstar is one of the finest albums of this sort and truly stands shoulder to shoulder with his 70s oevre - some of it even giving a musical nod towards the olden days. I listened to it last night and was yet again completely blown away by this elderly man’s album.
Rest in peace my name-brother - you literally hit it out of the park with your last stint

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 09:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

David Bowie’s swansong Blackstar is one of the finest albums of this sort and truly stands shoulder to shoulder with his 70s oevre - some of it even giving a musical nod towards the olden days. I listened to it last night and was yet again completely blown away by this elderly man’s album.
Rest in peace my name-brother - you literally hit it out of the park with your last stint

I love Bowie and I love Blackstar. I'm still so sad he's gone, but what a high note to go out on. It's my album of the millennium.

-------------

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Greg Lake actually addressed that at the time and regarded Side One as something that was continuous and you could strap the headphones on and immerse yourself . Personally my main issue with that album was there was so little Organ but for that little tease on the third track. Also the 'shouting' was not good for my ears!
Three To The Power Of Three at least had Desde La Vide but mostly was boring AOR.

The first side of A would work better for me as a suite if "The Score" and "The Miracle" had something else connecting them. "Learning to Fly" is an alright song. I far prefer "Touch and Go," but moving it would weaken Side B a bit (and I even like "Love Blind" and "Step Aside"). 

I played the hell out of Black Moon when I first got it! I was so happy they were back. So glad I saw them at the Wiltern Theater in L.A. The set was almost everything you could expect from them. The energy in the venue was very high. I've no idea who he was, but this one cat up by the front had this amazing leather jacket with the huge ELP on the back and keyboards (octaves) running along both sleeves. 

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:42
The latest track by Jan Akkerman is the best thing I've heard in ages, it really harkens back to Focus' "Moving Waves"!  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The latest track by Jan Akkerman is the best thing I've heard in ages, it really harkens back to Focus' "Moving Waves"!  

Great video Charles! But you didn't mention King Crimson! I hope you're not ill. Wink

-------------

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 16:56
Are there any, really?

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 17:00
Absolutely. Latest Strawbs album is right up there with group's best works in the '70s.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 17:29

Absolutely. Latest Strawbs album is right up there with group's best works in the '70s.

I must check it out then. I've got several on vinyl but don't listen to them enough. My favourite Strawbs song is Burning For Me and Burning For You is my fav album.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 20:28

Hi,

It's right up there with some great stuff of his ... it's perhaps a bit more jazzy, than it is rock music, but it is pretty and has some really nice touches ... 

I've enjoyed this band since "Hero and Heroine" and then "Ghosts" ... and have kept in touch with just about everything since ... for some reason, probably because I don't have the CD's!!! ... the earlier stuff did not grab me as much.

On the new album there are at least 2 or 3 pieces worth while ... typical of Strawbs material ... what amounts to 2 or 3 great things and then 2 or 3 things that you and I will likely say ... hmmmm ... but it is a very nice album.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 23:00
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Strawbs

Absolutely. The Ferryman's Curse is very good.

agreed.  I can't quite say it's as good as the Grave New World thru Ghosts period but it's very good for sure.  I think if the title track had a more memorable Strawbs like melody then I would be calling it a great album

Date Posted: March 05 2020 at 23:40

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I love Bowie and I love Blackstar. I'm still so sad he's gone, but what a high note to go out on. It's my album of the millennium.

Yeah me too. I got all choked up whilst listening to Lazarus
The man’s music has followed me since I was 10 or so.
Still strange that he’s no longer here.

Blackstar though is a very rare accomplishment in that it genuinely sounds like an album spawned in the mind of someone who is still naive and childlike in his way around music. It is so rare you get that from musicians, especially successful musicians, 45 years into their career.

Franco Battiato’s from 2014 is like that as well imho. Mixes his early progressive rock albums with a contemporary type of electronica. Still get those poignant and wafting dove-like vocals as well as the slow oozing organs.
Perhaps not as great as Blackstar..but a damn fine album that takes it’s cue from the olden days..in a completely different light.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 06 2020 at 00:13

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The first side of A would work better for me as a suite if "The Score" and "The Miracle" had something else connecting them. "Learning to Fly" is an alright song. I far prefer "Touch and Go," but moving it would weaken Side B a bit (and I even like "Love Blind" and "Step Aside"). 

I played the hell out of Black Moon when I first got it! I was so happy they were back. So glad I saw them at the Wiltern Theater in L.A. The set was almost everything you could expect from them. The energy in the venue was very high. I've no idea who he was, but this one cat up by the front had this amazing leather jacket with the huge ELP on the back and keyboards (octaves) running along both sleeves. 

Reflects me own feelings as well. I saw them in Bristol and it was almost 'unreal' . Palmer with his now very small kit (well compared to that half ton monster of the seventies anyway) and a slightly Spinal Tap vibe to the backdrop (an attempt at creating a Roman colosseum feel). They played perfectly for 2 hours and we all swayed to Fanfare quite happily!

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Great video Charles! But you didn't mention King Crimson! I hope you're not ill. Wink

What, have the Crimson King recorded something new?  

Last few times I saw them, they did old war-horse songs like "In the Wake of Poseidon."  Only new song I can remember is "Hell Hounds of Crim."

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk