Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122565
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 19:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First Four Studio Albums
Posted By: richardh
Subject: First Four Studio Albums
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 02:10
I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog) and it does include FGTR so hopefully all the 'Genesis fan boys' won't just press the auto vote button Wink

So the idea is that you treat the first four albums as a block . So in many cases the same as a modern double CD length wise.

For me ELP and Camel have strong entries as obviously does KC . Marillion covers the Fish era so that is strong as well.

Its very seventies orientated so I have included an Other option (EDIT - oh dear forgot to do this in a rush Embarrassed
Let the headaches commence!

BTW - I know many complain about the use of the word 'Best' . It's just your opinion and can be taken as 'most progressive' or most 'important' or however you want to view it. Lets not get too hung up about this.Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 02:34
You know... I had to really think about this but the first 4 Marillion albums with Fish for me are very special .. I voted Marillion, Followed close with King Crimson and Genesis and ELP. But Marillions first 4 albums were all very consistent.  Tongue

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 02:47
GG over Marillion and ELP

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog) and it does include FGTR so hopefully all the 'Genesis fan boys' won't just press the auto vote button Wink

So the idea is that you treat the first four albums as a block . So in many cases the same as a modern double CD length wise.

For me ELP and Camel have strong entries as obviously does KC . Marillion covers the Fish era so that is strong as well.

Its very seventies orientated so I have included an Other option. 

BTW - I know many complain about the use of the word 'Best' . It's just your opinion and can be taken as 'most progressive' or most 'important' or however you want to view it. Lets not get too hung up about this.Smile

that's a tough one.
You said you'd have the "other" option, did you change your mind? LOL

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 05:20
This is tough. I can’t decide between Crimson, Floyd and Tull. Thought about Marillion also as I really dig the Fish years...but do they trump the aforementioned? Nope.
Think I’ll wait a bit with my vote. Show the underdog some love down the line

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 05:31
Genesis. Can't discount how much Foxtrot plays in this.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 06:37

This Genesis fanboy almost reached for the auto vote button, until I saw that FGTR was included

Voted KC.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 06:57
has to be ELP for me.  Those 4 albums are all great.

Gentle Giant would be next.

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:25
Jethro Tull.  'This Was' was a good first out.  BUT when you follow that up with 'Stand Up', 'Benefit' and the iconic 'Aqualung' you've made a strong musical statement that is hard to beat by anybody.

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:39
Marillion. All 4 Fish's era albums are very good. 

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:54
ELP's first four sold shed-loads, were hugely influential and became the indelible watermark that betrayed the callow forgeries of those that followed in their wake. (Stop me if you've heard this one before): ELP epitomized the very best and the very worst of what we like to remember as Progressive Rock

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:56
when your first 4 include "The Snow Goose" and "Moonmadness"< and the other two are pretty good, the choice is easy

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:57
Hard choice. In many cases, it's a tie for me.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 08:09
I have to go with KC as what is arguably the most influential album in prog is included in their first four albums.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 08:52
Crimson, Camel, ELP, Gentle Giant, Marillion. The rest have an album that is a bit weaker than their rest which is how I made the cut.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 08:55
Hi,

I like them all and have them all except Rush (roomie had all of it and heard enough of it!), and my vote is going to be different ... 

DJAM KARET ... their first 4 albums rival anyone's in quality and ability.

AMON DUUL 2 ... their first 4 albums still stand ... excellent!

NEKTAR ... still great after all these years and it's all over, now!

CHICAGO ... first four for sure!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:02
Tough one, most have at least one weak album, think I have to go with Crimson as the least weakest.

Obviously the correct answer is Black Sabbath or Univers Zero.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:05
Either Gentle Giant or ELP. I went with the former cuz I like their first four better than I like ELP's first four.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:23
King Crimson, ELP, Camel and Genesis would be my choices for top four but I'm not going to vote here since it would be too difficult to choose(also, I'm not overly familiar with the first Camel anyway). While NC, Foxtrot and TYA and Fragile are great the two before both of them aren't quite top notch(in the case of the first Yes and Genesis just good but not much more).

Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

King Crimson, ELP, Camel and Genesis would be my choices for top four but I'm not going to vote here since it would be too difficult to choose(also, I'm not overly familiar with the first Camel anyway). While NC, Foxtrot and TYA and Fragile are great the two before both of them aren't quite top notch(in the case of the first Yes and Genesis just good but not much more).

you're not familiar with Camel's debut? Shocked You're missing...

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:45
OoOoOhh! Kansas should be part of this poll. Maybe they're not because they'd win.  LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:57

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog)

Ooooh, not many top 10 most important prog band lists do not include VDGG. Surprised that I'm the first one to mention them. They'd probably snatched my vote.
From the list, Camel wins it through consistency, then KC and Floyd.
Further ones that would've beaten Camel in my book are Cardiacs, Can, Amon Düül II. Univers Zero isn't a bad nomination either.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 11:18
Gentle Giant +1
King Crimson
Pink Floyd

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 12:13
Pink Floyd

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 15:46
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

when your first 4 include "The Snow Goose" and "Moonmadness"< and the other two are pretty good, the choice is easy

This. Very easy. Marillion are a very respectable 2nd.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 15:53
I yield to no one with my love of Marillion, but I am more of a h fan nowadays, and really only listen to the first four when I feel like a nostalgia fest.

I have gone for Genesis. Yes, FGTR is utterly forgettable, but the pleasure that Trespass, Nursery Cryme (especially), and Foxtrot have given me over the years must get my vote. They were the among the formation albums of my yoof, and I still love them.

I did think about Crimson, certainly because of the epochal debut, which is still utterly fantastic. I have also learned to appreciate Islands far more as I have grown older. The other two, though, are, for me, absolutely non-essential.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 16:46
For me easily Genesis....

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 16:54
A tough one. I gave the edge to GG, although Crimso, Camel and ELP (who sounded rather mature from the beginning) qualify as well.

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:23
It's so rare for ELP to win anything on PA, I immediately voted for them, although subsequently thought I should have voted for King Crimson, and then I thought Marillion's debut has so many memories for me ... The agony of choice....

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:31
Camel for me

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:54
Another close one, but I think Gentle Giant is the best choice.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 17:59
Gentle Giant  !!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 20:20
Crimson.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 22:35
Genesis

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 22:44
Gotta be ELP here.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: March 25 2020 at 23:25
By a process of elimination where anything under 4 stars eliminates the band I end up with ELP versus Gentle Giant with ELP winning marginally. The problem with ELP was they ran out of creative gases after their fourth album, while Gentle Giant kept the creative juices running a bit longer.  

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 00:31
There was no obvious immediate answer for me, so I tried to be scientific. I ranked each album from 1 - 10,  and used the total score for each band.

And ended up with a 4-way tie

Yes, Genesis, Tull and KC.

Looking at my scores, Genesis, Yes and Tull each trended upwards, with their fourth album being their highest rated.  King Crimson peaked on debut and trended downwards, with their fourth album their lowest.

Finally, I ran this again with VDGG's first four albums included, and they won.  They did it without a 10 (which each of the other bands managed once), but were just the most consistent.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 00:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

that's a tough one.
You said you'd have the "other" option, did you change your mind? LOL

Sorry genuinely meant to but probably in a rush Embarrassed

Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 00:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I like them all and have them all except Rush (roomie had all of it and heard enough of it!), and my vote is going to be different ... 

DJAM KARET ... their first 4 albums rival anyone's in quality and ability.

AMON DUUL 2 ... their first 4 albums still stand ... excellent!

NEKTAR ... still great after all these years and it's all over, now!

CHICAGO ... first four for sure!

I did think about Chicago. Those other bands I need to check out Smile

Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

OoOoOhh! Kansas should be part of this poll. Maybe they're not because they'd win.  LOL

I do like Kansas . I have missed out a lot of bands and managed to forget the 'other' option as well .LOL

Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:04
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog)

Ooooh, not many top 10 most important prog band lists do not include VDGG. Surprised that I'm the first one to mention them. They'd probably snatched my vote.
From the list, Camel wins it through consistency, then KC and Floyd.
Further ones that would've beaten Camel in my book are Cardiacs, Can, Amon Düül II. Univers Zero isn't a bad nomination either.

Yeah my biggest omission. I actually woke up in the night and apart from COVID-19 and work worries , that one (missing VDGG) also popped into my head. I could edit the poll and take Rush out of the equation but I'm guessing that people who might have voted VDGG have already gone for a different option so I will have to leave it. Sorry!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:32
Now this is an interesting/good thread! Even I didn't realize how solid, by comparison, ELP's first four are to pretty much (well, all) most of this list!

ELP!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 02:22
The first four of Talking Heads or Kate Bush would be the first on my list ...then probably Genesis.

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: March 26 2020 at 06:16
Camel, no contest. I'd say the first six of theirs are all pretty good.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:33
First Four Marillion Albums

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:38
Out of Genesis, Gentle Giant, Camel and Floyd. Think I’ll vote for the Giant.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 11:28
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The first four of Talking Heads or Kate Bush would be the first on my list ...then probably Genesis.

Hi,

I would second Kate Bush on that ... for that matter, Rickie Lee Jones ... her first 4 albums were outstanding, and then it was like ... she disappeared!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 11:59
If I could, I would vote for the first 4 Family lps hands down as (for me) they are consistently on my turntable and I enjoy all 4 equally and feel they are of equal strength and consistency. 

Applying the same principle I am strangely finding some of my favourite bands a bit wanting in odd moments and so I find that I do enjoy the first 4 Tull, Camel and then Genesis lps (regardless of FGTR) equally.

-------------

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 12:03
Has to be Gentle Giant.  I'm not much of an ELP fan

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 13:21
ELP's a great choice, but I've got to go with Genesis. I can take or leave the debut itself, but the next three! Big smile

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 13:23
And as far as my favorite first four in general are. Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 14:34
I went with ELP(that's not counting Pictures though). Unfortunately nothing they did after those came close.

Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 17:55

I went with ELP(that's not counting Pictures though). Unfortunately nothing they did after those came close.
Unless you count Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Ladies And Gentlemen...

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:06
It says I've already voted in this poll, but I don't remember which one of these got my vote. Embarrassed

It's a nice poll. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:17
Gentle Giant - their four first are my four favorites of theirs. All wonderful
Camel - love all four, but I don't think all four albums are equally strong
Jethro Tull - I do love ca. half of This Was, but that album is the weaker link for me

-------------

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 09:33
Gentle Giant
ELP
Jethro Tull

Posted By: Moonshake
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 12:02
Genesis

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 12:03
ELP

-------------
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album| https://atmosprog.bandcamp.com/album/atmos-i" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 13:53
I'd say ELP... as history shows first albums are often not that great and sometimes show little of the future brilliance of a band... Genesis and Yes are two obvious examples in the prog genre (possibly also Tull and Camel), and even dare I suggest Pink Floyd, as PATGOD is so atypical of the future Floydian Sound.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 13:55
First four VDGG

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 13:57
Voted Camel,
KC was a second choice ( not a fan of islands)
Genesis started at #2 Trespass

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 14:49
1. Camel
2. Genesis
3. YES

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 16:07
ELP narrowly over Camel. I'm trying to convince myself that there are 15 types of potatoes.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 17:00
Went with Marillion😊

My personal top 3 would be IQ, King’s X and It Bites😎

-------------
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 17:13

ELP

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 17:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

OoOoOhh! Kansas should be part of this poll. Maybe they're not because they'd win. 
LOL
No doubt!

Posted By: Big Sky
Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 11:06
ELP by the slimmest of margins over Gentle Giant.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: February 08 2024 at 05:43
Gentle Giant.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: March 07 2024 at 16:24
ELP get my vote on this one - their albums were practically flawless right up to (and including) BSS.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: TenYearsAfter
Date Posted: March 07 2024 at 17:03
Genesis, with ELP as second best.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 08 2024 at 00:04
I went with Camel.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 08 2024 at 08:44
Other-Triumvirat   

Date Posted: March 08 2024 at 16:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Other-Triumvirat   

Don't you like any other bands besides Triumvirat? Wink

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 08 2024 at 17:17

Other-Triumvirat   

One might say that Triumvirat puts the tri in triumphant.

Van der Graaf Generator does seem the more obvious missing one for ten, and you can't spell vantastic without van.

I'll go with King Crimson, although I actually am not that big on the debut. That said, I recognise its significance and won't deny its greatness. If I were to choose a big ten (or big twelve), I do think I would have added Magma and that would have got my vote. You can't spell Magma without mag, just like magnificent. And Tangerine Dream for a really dreamy list.

Date Posted: March 08 2024 at 20:12

Other-Triumvirat   

One look at my music collection, and there are probably around 50 different bands there that I avidly listen to....Passport, Dzyan, Wallenstein, If, Quatermass just to name a few....not to mention a gigantic classical music collection....Triumvirat are the tip of the iceburg......man cannot live on Triumvirat alone......

Date Posted: March 08 2024 at 22:17
I could have expanded the list to include VDGG but like Genesis they have a weak debut followed by 4-5 incredibly strong albums.
PFM would have an even stronger case but according to PA they also have a weak debut album that was released in 1969 called Quelli which draws comparison to Genesis's debut album. Pity that.
Magma are a good suggestion as they have 4 (actually 5) strong albums right off the bat.
I'm not inclined to create another poll though. This was a barely concealed attempt to give ELP a chance to win a poll against other major prog bands. If I had gone to 5 albums then that's ELP out of the running! GG's fifth album is In A Glass House, while the next 2 aren't bad either!

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 09 2024 at 00:52
I have no problem with your choices, just playing along with Doug's other choice by mentioning my vote (do wish if people mention an others they would also try to go for an option) plus some others (intended as a conciliatory/ sympathetic measure as some people do get stick for apparent fanboyism, myself included, although I am more likely to stick it to myself). I agree on VdGG. As for PFM, PA lists Quelli in the discography as pre-PFM (it has been quite common to list related works in discographies). I would not count that. That said, for me PFm only has a really strong runs of three with Storia di un minuto, Per un amico and L'isola di niente. I consider those English language versions disposable, but then I tend not to favour re-makes. For other Italian big names, Le Orme is strong for me for the first five, and Area is very strong for the first four (but Area likeley would be too out there for most symph-oriented Proggers).

Date Posted: March 09 2024 at 06:56

Other-Triumvirat   
Richard,  as from your list, I would say ELP.  Four masterpieces in a row.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: March 09 2024 at 14:23
Most bands are finding their feet with their first lps.. I suppose ELP probably made the first four most consistent and successful lps (they are not my personal favourites but i recognise the quality and consistency).

My own (personal and no doubt unpopular) choice would be the first four Barclay James Harvest lps on the Harvest label- yes, Baby James Harvest is a bit of rag-tag but as a body of work on one label, it feels like a very whole statement of the sound and feel that they were trying to achieve. And it launched them into the next phase on the Polydor label.

-------------

Posted By: TenYearsAfter
Date Posted: March 09 2024 at 14:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Most bands are finding their feet with their first lps.. I suppose ELP probably made the first four most consistent and successful lps (they are not my personal favourites but i recognise the quality and consistency).

My own (personal and no doubt unpopular) choice would be the first four Barclay James Harvest lps on the Harvest label- yes, Baby James Harvest is a bit of rag-tag but as a body of work on one label, it feels like a very whole statement of the sound and feel that they were trying to achieve. And it launched them into the next phase on the Polydor label.

I was thinking too about BJH, I love their epic Dark Now My Sky, from their eponymous debut LP.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 09 2024 at 15:32
Personally I would vote for either One Shot or Anekdoten if they were on here but I get that they would get little attention compared to some of these big names.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: March 14 2024 at 13:44
Difficult poll, so I won't vote.

Camel and Genesis would battle it out for the first tier, followed by Gentle Giant. But still nothing definitive. Apples and oranges.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk