Print Page | Close Window

The Other Side of Life

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122616
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 19:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Other Side of Life
Posted By: YESESIS
Subject: The Other Side of Life
Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:34
I just listened to the Moody Blues album 'The Other Side of Life.' And to say I was pleasantly surprised would be a big understatement. I just wasn't expecting that at all. I really thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed that. There was only one track that I thought was just ok titled, 'I just don't care.' And literally ALL of the other songs I thoroughly enjoyed. I knew going on in that it wasn't part of their "Magnificent Seven" and no one had recommended it, so I wasn't expecting much. Just goes to show once again that sometimes in life you just never know.

Btw, if you go in expecting anything AT ALL groundbreaking or 'game changing' you will be quite disappointed(Days of Future Passed it is not). But if you want song after song that is nothing at all special but simply enjoyable then this album delivers. 

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:46
I had it a long time ago. I remember liking it quite a bit but it's not on the level of their earlier albums. I haven't heard it in a long time though. For a pop prog album you could do much worse imo. 

Anyway, if you think "the other side of life" is good wait until you hear "long distance voyager." Wink

Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I had it a long time ago. I remember liking it quite a bit but it's not on the level of their earlier albums. I haven't heard it in a long time though. For a pop prog album you could do much worse imo. 

Anyway, if you think "the other side of life" is good wait until you hear "long distance voyager." Wink

I listened to Long Distance Voyager already(and talked about it in another thread on here). I liked it a lot too, but not as much as this album. That one had a bit more filler imo. Both very good albums though. And I've listened to all of their core 7 albums. Not sure what to go for next.

Btw, I'm well aware that that one is widely considered the better album. That's why I'd listened to it already, it WAS recommended to me.

Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:57
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I listened to Long Distance Voyager already(and talked about it in another thread on here). I liked it a lot too, but not as much as this album. That one had a bit more filler imo. Both very good albums though. And I've listened to all of their core 7 albums. Not sure what to go for next.

Btw, I'm well aware that that one is widely considered the better album. Tha'st why I'd listened to it already, it WAS recommended to me.

Ok, then I recommend the Present and Sur La Mer next. If you liked TOSOL then definitely check out Sur Le Mer. I saw them on that tour and it was great. Unfortunately it was the only time I ever saw the Moodies. I would recommend staying away from Keys to the kingdome or anything later though. I suppose if you are just listening to these on youtube for free then it doesn't really matter. Lol. 

Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 21:01
Yeah, I'm going to start actually buying the albums though. I always start with youtube just to make sure that it's an artist that I'm going to still want in my collection years from now. But I already can tell this band is.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions!

Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 21:14

Yeah, I'm going to start actually buying the albums though. I always start with youtube just to make sure that it's an artist that I'm going to still want in my collection years from now. But I already can tell this band is.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions!

You're in for one heck of a ride. The Moodies are a great band(one of my top ten). Also, be sure to check out the Hayward/ Lodge album called Blue Jays. Based on what I've read you can skip Octave from 1978(at least for now). Also, don't bother with anything after Sur La Mer or at least just listen to them on youtube first. 

Just curious do you buy cds or vinyl when you do buy? New vinyl can be expensive(apparently at least 25 dollars for new albums) so personally I would look into cds ifd you have a cd player. If you don't mind spending the money then go for it though. Wink  

Date Posted: March 30 2020 at 21:20
CD's. That's what I meant. I have a discman and a cd player in car. Yeah, I'm liking this band a lot! I don't think they'll ever eclipse Yes or Genesis for me, but they could certainly end up being a favorite for sure!

Edit: Ok thanks again for the suggestions. Definitely helpful!

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 01:09
The Other Side of Life is the only Moody Blues album I don't have on CD, but I'd love to add it to my collection. I'd recommend any of their albums without exception and the Blue Jays album with Justin Hayward & John Lodge is especially good. The CD version of the album includes the bonus track "Blue Guitar"

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 07:32

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curios.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curious.

He already mentioned he had in post number 3. Wink

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 09:45

I usually skip over your posts. Wink

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 14:54
I think it's underrated, but people rate it so badly that how else could it be?  Just for the opening track, the title track (which swings like nothing they have ever done), and "It May be a fire", it's worth it. The rest, meh

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 15:08

Btw, I'm well aware that that one is widely considered the better album. That's why I'd listened to it already, it WAS recommended to me.

you may as well listen to "The Present" as well.  It's got some nice understated songs

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 15:26
Apart from Long distance Voyager, im not quite so keen on the later lps.. I don't really like Pip Williams production on Voyager and Present.. its a bit too shiny, lightweight and poppy.. its the same with some of the later Barclay James Harvest lps (post 'Turn of the tide'- which i'd recommend, if you like later Moodies lps)
But Tony Visconti produced 'Other side of Life'... a definite improvement..

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 16:36
Funny you mention it - Moody Blues were my first love (along elwith the Beatles) growing up in the 70s. I bought Octave and Long Distance Voyager on the day of release, and then The Present after that. But then I stopped - and to this day I haven’t heard this album or any that follow it, apart from the hits. Thanks for giving me the excuse to pick it up sometime (probably for $3 or so). If someone out there likes it, maybe I will too.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 19:17
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I think it's underrated, but people rate it so badly that how else could it be?  Just for the opening track, the title track (which swings like nothing they have ever done), and "It May be a fire", it's worth it. The rest, meh

This one also..

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 19:24
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. HolyMoly, yes if you go in not expecting too much then I do think you'll like it. Cosmiclawnmower, I like Barclay James Harvest a lot too. My favorite album from them is Time Honoured Ghosts. And Paul, later albums are good too? Cool man, I'll check those out at some point also then.. Right on. I'll listen to the whole freakin discography lol.

Ok, I'm off to listen to The Present now. That seems to be the most recommended here. See how this goes.

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 20:22
Ok that was absolutely great. This is getting absurd now.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:17
ahh man.. thought it was.. so making it so... there is only one The Other Side of This Life

stay healthy Jack... 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ahh man.. thought it was.. so making it so... there is only one The Other Side of This Life

stay healthy Jack... 

That was pretty groovy man, right on. We built this city, yes Sir. Stay healthy brother.

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:53
I absolutely love the title track. It’s gotta be a top 50 song for me. Similarly, I love Camel’s “West Berlin”. Songs like that do something for me. 

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:26

It wasn't my post. It was his post(the OP).

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:30

It wasn't my post. It was his post(the OP).
But he quoted your post. So..

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:33
^The point is you asked a question that he answered already. That was what I was trying to let you know. 

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 19:21
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

I absolutely love the title track. It’s gotta be a top 50 song for me. Similarly, I love Camel’s “West Berlin”. Songs like that do something for me. 

I'll have to check out this West Berlin song, I'm surprised it's not ringing a bell for me. I'm certain it's not on Mirage at least. Probably on Breathless or something like that. Anyway the Title track from TOSOL I've literally only heard once but I remember it being good(along with several others on that same album).

Ok now to go listen to Sur la Mer. Maybe finally a weak album from them? We'll see a minute.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 19:54

stay healthy Jack... 

That was pretty groovy man, right on. We built this city, yes Sir. Stay healthy brother.

you too my good man..no virus is going to get me..I have first dibs on putting myself into a premature grave before I'm pissing and sh*tting myself ignored by stoned out min wage teens in a rest home.. besides my system is so polluted it would likely swallow any virus.. one reason I never get sick I guess Beer

and groovy...  oh Jack and his backing band hasn't even started getting groovy yet...

smoke 'em if you got them...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:32

you too my good man..no virus is going to get me..I have first dibs on putting myself into a premature grave before I'm pissing and sh*tting myself ignored by stoned out min wage teens in a rest home.. besides my system is so polluted it would likely swallow any virus.. one reason I never get sick I guess Beer

and groovy...  oh Jack and his backing band hasn't even started getting groovy yet...

smoke 'em if you got them...

Well whatever works for you I guess. Wow, that was a JAM session man. Riiight on.

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:34
Ok finally a VERY mediocre album from the Moody Blues. I was beginning to wonder if they were human for a minute there lol.

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:44

Ok finally a VERY mediocre album from the Moody Blues. I was beginning to wonder if they were human for a minute there lol.

Which one?

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:47

I'll have to check out this West Berlin song, I'm surprised it's not ringing a bell for me. I'm certain it's not on Mirage at least. Probably on Breathless or something like that. Anyway the Title track from TOSOL I've literally only heard once but I remember it being good(along with several others on that same album).

Ok now to go listen to Sur la Mer. Maybe finally a weak album from them? We'll see a minute.

I Just looked it up. It's on Stationary Traveller(one I haven't heard yet).

As for TMB I guess you were talking about Sur La Mer. It might grow on you. I think it's maybe only slightly weaker than The other side of life but that's just my opinion. ANyway, if you didn't like it then definitely don't check out any of the later ones. Then again I was wrong about you liking that one(sur la mer) apparently so it's up to you. Just look at the ratings on here though. That should give you a hint.

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:55

As for TMB I guess you were talking about Sur La Mer. It might grow on you. I think it's maybe only slightly weaker than The other side of life but that's just my opinion. ANyway, if you didn't like it then definitely don't check out any of the later ones. Then again I was wrong about you liking that one(sur la mer) apparently so it's up to you. Just look at the ratings on here though. That should give you a hint.

Yeah after the first few songs it was filler Heaven lol. But I guess every band is entitled one album like that. But the later ones too huh? Oh well, it was a good run anyway.

And no my opinion is that TOSOL is a lot better. But again, just one person's opinion after only listening to each album once lol.

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 21:17

Yeah after the first few songs it was filler Heaven lol. But I guess every band is entitled one album like that. But the later ones too huh? Oh well, it was a good run anyway.

And no my opinion is that TOSOL is a lot better. But again, just one person's opinion after only listening to each album once lol.

Well, I personally think TOSOL is the album with filler(the last two tracks in particular). I don't really remember any filler on Sur La Mer. I think "vintage wine" was a good song and so was "deep"(the last track). I can understand people not liking some of the songs though. Everyone has different tastes. Yeah, imo don't even bother with the later albums. Check out Jeff Wayne's "war of the worlds" album instead. Justin Hayward sings a few tracks on there. You might think it's a bit cheesy(mainly because of the discoey beats which pop up at times but hey what do you want it is from 1978) but it has a pretty high rating on here so it's at least worth checking out(plus I liked it although I haven't heard it in a while).  

Date Posted: April 01 2020 at 21:31
Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 06:21

^The point is you asked a question that he answered already. That was what I was trying to let you know. 
*skipped* LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:52

Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.

Oh you mean the early one with "Go now" on it? I see it's called the Magnificent Moodies. I haven't heard it but apparently it's very different than the later stuff.  Also, don't forget the Blue Jays album too. Someone mentioned Barclay James Harvest. Strawbs are another band you might enjoy. Also, the very first Genesis album is sort of a like a weird Moody Blues. Lol. OK, that's about it. Enjoy!

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 15:32

Oh you mean the early one with "Go now" on it? I see it's called the Magnificent Moodies. I haven't heard it but apparently it's very different than the later stuff.  Also, don't forget the Blue Jays album too. Someone mentioned Barclay James Harvest. Strawbs are another band you might enjoy. Also, the very first Genesis album is sort of a like a weird Moody Blues. Lol. OK, that's about it. Enjoy!

I mentioned BJH.. poor man's moody blues and all thatWink Apparently the Moodies wanted to sign Genesis onto their Threshold label before they finally signed with Stratton-Smith on Charisma..

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 17:27
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I mentioned BJH.. poor man's moody blues and all thatWink Apparently the Moodies wanted to sign Genesis onto their Threshold label before they finally signed with Stratton-Smith on Charisma..

I never heard that. What I heard is that they thought about signing King Crimson after seeing them right after the first KC album came out.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 19:07

[QUOTE=YESESIS]Wow, yeah we definitely disagree on those two albums but yeah maybe after a couple more listens I'll start to like Sur la Mer better, that could certainly be. And thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that one out sometime. I think tomorrow night I might listen to their debut album! Haven't heard that one yet. It must not be that good since it's not considered a 'core seven' album but we'll see.

I never heard that. What I heard is that they thought about signing King Crimson after seeing them right after the first KC album came out.

Probably everyone wanted to sign them right after that album came out lol. Anyway I've heard the first Genesis album and I even like it. And BJH is great I love them. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off now to listen to MB first album. See how this goes.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 19:53
That album was VERY 60's lol. Definitely had some rockin and rollin in spots but overall not any great album. Such a massive improvement on the next one, Days of Future Passed(my favorite MB album so far).

One thing, if you listen to Sur la Mer and then this debut back to back you will swear it's not the same band lol.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 20:57

That album was VERY 60's lol. Definitely had some rockin and rollin in spots but overall not any great album. Such a massive improvement on the next one, Days of Future Passed(my favorite MB album so far).

One thing, if you listen to Sur la Mer and then this debut back to back you will swear it's not the same band lol.

I've never listened but assume I wouldn't like it.  I felt like most of side 1 of "On the Threshold of a Dream" seemed to be composed of leftover songs from that era!

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:18
The debut album is okay, but it’s pretty clear they had nothing much to separate themselves from the pack, apart from that one hit single (which isn’t even that great either, but hits are hits). Not at all bad, but I think the bold move they made in ‘67 with DoFP is one of those great “Make-or-Break, Nothing to Lose” stories in rock history. Amazingly, the album’s immense success was obviously due to to more than just the gimmick of merging rock with classical - the rock songs were incredibly strong, all of them. An amazing work, I don’t know where they got the ideas for those songs.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:20

I only listened to that album once so I don't specifically remember it, and obviously what I said about is in that other thread. But I do remember legitimately liking it and it's a 'core 7' album so must be good.

For tomorrow I think I'll listen to this Octave. The album right after the core 7 and right before the 80's stuff. I'm nervous about it, but see what happens.

for Octave, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll love Justin’s 4 songs (40% of the album). He brought his A-game for that one.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I only listened to that album once so I don't specifically remember it, and obviously what I said about is in that other thread. But I do remember legitimately liking it and it's a 'core 7' album so must be good.

For tomorrow I think I'll listen to this Octave. The album right after the core 7 and right before the 80's stuff. I'm nervous about it, but see what happens.

for Octave, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll love Justin’s 4 songs (40% of the album). He brought his A-game for that one.

Ok cool, so at least some of it is strong. Good enough then. And yeah I agree Days of Future Passed is truly an all time great album.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:25

The debut album is okay, but it’s pretty clear they had nothing much to separate themselves from the pack, apart from that one hit single (which isn’t even that great either, but hits are hits). Not at all bad, but I think the bold move they made in ‘67 with DoFP is one of those great “Make-or-Break, Nothing to Lose” stories in rock history. Amazingly, the album’s immense success was obviously due to to more than just the gimmick of merging rock with classical - the rock songs were incredibly strong, all of them. An amazing work, I don’t know where they got the ideas for those songs.

All the songs fit into the concept of the album. They got the idea for the concept of it being one day in the life of an average man. It's suppose to all take place within 24 hours("dawn is a feeling", "Tuesday afternoon", "evening time to get away" etc).

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:27

All the songs fit into the concept of the album. They got the idea for the concept of it being one day in the life of an average man. It's suppose to all take place within 24 hours("dawn is a feeling", "Tuesday afternoon", "evening time to get away" etc).

Oh s*** son, that totally makes sense.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:27

For me DOFP is very sixties! Lol. Even the bouncy guitar sounds like it would fit in with Bat Man or a beach movie or something. Lol. 

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:31

For me DOFP is very sixties! Lol. Even the bouncy guitar sounds like it would fit in with Bat Man or a beach movie or something. Lol. 

Listen to the debut lol

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:34
Here's an interesting little story. I remember working at a grocery store when I was a teenager and part of my job was to pack bags into people's cars. I remember this one older woman had DOFP playing her car. I was already familiar with the album at that point and commented on what a good album it was and how she had good taste in music(or something to that affect). Her response was something like "yeah, and even I can listen to it. Even I like it." I'm still not sure what she meant by that. Of course she can listen to it. Lol. 

Anyway, I don't know if it's my personal favorite MB album but it's certainly one of them and one of their best(and one of the best prog/prog related albums in general). If someone were to ask where to start with them I very well might suggest that one. 

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:35

Listen to the debut lol

I very well might just do that. Maybe tomorrow. 

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:40

Here's an interesting little story. I remember working at a grocery store when I was a teenager and part of my job was to pack bags into people's cars. I remember this one older woman had DOFP playing her car. I was already familiar with the album at that point and commented on what a good album it was and how she had good taste in music(or something to that affect). Her response was something like "yeah, and even I can listen to it. Even I like it." I'm still not sure what she meant by that. Of course she can listen to it. Lol. 

Anyway, I don't know if it's my personal favorite MB album but it's certainly one of them and one of their best(and one of the best prog/prog related albums in general). If someone were to ask where to start with them I very well might suggest that one. 

If someone asked me that question I would say Selling England by the Pound. The woman maybe meant that even older people like her can enjoy it. Maybe didn't quite realize it wasn't the 60's anymore. Who knows.

But as far as Days of Future Passed.. first prog album? I know the 'correct answer' is In The Court..

But that's an album I think you could make a case for.

Edit: Oh, with them. I thought you meant with prog in general. NM

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:47

If someone asked me that question I would say Selling England by the Pound. The woman maybe meant that even older people like her can enjoy it. Maybe didn't quite realize it wasn't the 60's anymore. Who knows.

But as far as Days of Future Passed.. first prog album? I know the 'correct answer' is In The Court..

No, I meant if someone wanted to know where to start with the Moody Blues I would say DOFP. For prog in general probably "Close to the Edge." At least that's my opinion. As for first prog album there are several contenders. I find it hard to believe there's nothing you could categorize as prog before "Court" but it can be a slippery slop when trying to piece it all together and say where it all started. Days is probably a good a place as any but imo it's ulitimately more of a proto prog album. 

Another album to check out on youtube(if it's there)is the Moody Blues compilation called Prelude which collects tracks mostly from that period in between the first album and DOFP. Justin and John had just joined the band and so their "new" sound wasn't fully developed yet. Most of those were just singles and b sides that didn't make it to any proper albums at the time. One was "simple game" which was later a hit for the Four Tops.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:54

No, I meant if someone wanted to know where to start with the Moody Blues I would say DOFP. For prog in general probably "Close to the Edge." At least that's my opinion. As for first prog album there are several contenders. I find it hard to believe there's nothing you could categorize as prog before "Court" but it can be a slippery slop when trying to piece it all together and say where it all started. Days is probably a good a place as any but imo it's ulitimately more of a proto prog album. 

Another album to check out on youtube(if it's there)is the Moody Blues compilation called Prelude which collects tracks mostly from that period in between the first album and DOFP. Most of those were just singles and b sides that didn't make it to any proper albums at the time. One was "simple game" which was later a hit for the Four Tops(I think).

Well if I get through their entire discography(including that Blue Jays deal) and am just craving even more moody blues lol, then I'll check that one out too. Thanks

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:56

Listen to the debut lol

If you do, report back with your impressions.

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:56
^Yeah, it's not really essential but it's probably something to check out at some point. The post 80's stuff? Not so much. Lol. Maybe if you are hanging out with your mom or something. The later stuff is "mom" music. Same thing with later Genesis. Lol. 

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Other Side of Life is the only Moody Blues album I don't have on CD, but I'd love to add it to my collection. I'd recommend any of their albums without exception and the Blue Jays album with Justin Hayward & John Lodge is especially good. The CD version of the album includes the bonus track "Blue Guitar"

I always hated that Blue Guitar wasn’t longer. It’s such a good tune. 

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 21:57

Listen to the debut lol

If you do, report back with your impressions.

I'll give you my first impression parts one, two and three. ;) Hey, this is a prog forum after all. LOL

Date Posted: April 02 2020 at 22:02
Ha! Aren't you clever lol.

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 15:52

I understood there was some talk about KC supporting the Moodies (and maybe a record deal) till they saw them live and were too concerned they would blow them off stageWink... they did sell KC a Mellotron, though..

Threshold showed some interest in the Genesis post FGTR demo tapes but were too slow.. Island (via Paul Samwell Smith who'd arranged for PG to play flute on Cat Steven's Katmandu) were also interested but also too slow off the mark.

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:13
Have you guys heard "Isn't Life Strange" that was re-recorded for the 1989 Greatest Hits compilation. It makes the original off Seventh Sojourn sound terrible (in my opinion). It has added orchestral elements using the London Symphony Orchestra, and -- the most beneficial change -- is the chorus sounds good. The chorus in the original sounds really disjointed and sloppy. Never understood it. 

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:25

Have you guys heard "Isn't Life Strange" that was re-recorded for the 1989 Greatest Hits compilation. It makes the original off Seventh Sojourn sound terrible (in my opinion). It has added orchestral elements using the London Symphony Orchestra, and -- the most beneficial change -- is the chorus sounds good. The chorus in the original sounds really disjointed and sloppy. Never understood it. 

They should do much stuff with the Orchestra man, it suits them. That sounded really good.

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:26
Alright I'm off to listen to Octave. See how this goes.

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:29
Well that was good. I basically enjoyed it but certainly no great album. I can see why it's not a 'core 7' but far from being a bad album.

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:51
Octave was the last album with Mike Pinder, who contributed only one song "One Step into the Light", that has a reference to playing the mellotron (even though at that point he had switched over to the Chamberlain.

Yesesis, can you share a little more your thoughts on "The Present"?

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 21:03

Octave was the last album with Mike Pinder, who contributed only one song "One Step into the Light", that has a reference to playing the mellotron (even though at that point he had switched over to the Chamberlain.

Gosh that was a few albums ago now. I just remember liking most of the songs. I remember being pleasantly surprised with the whole album, for sure. I definitely liked it.

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 21:22

Gosh that was a few albums ago now. I just remember liking most of the songs. I remember being pleasantly surprised with the whole album, for sure. I definitely liked it.

Tongue  If I had to pick a favorite from the post magnificent 7 it would probably be the Present.  Least commercial sounding and most consistent.  But I don't think it's as good as any of those 7, well, maybe "On the Threshold".  I don't listen much to DOFP but acknowledge its significance and influence.  It also spurred some less capable artists onto recording with an orchestra, but we probably shouldn't hold that against them

Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 21:31

Tongue  If I had to pick a favorite from the post magnificent 7 it would probably be the Present.  Least commercial sounding and most consistent.  But I don't think it's as good as any of those 7, well, maybe "On the Threshold".  I don't listen much to DOFP but acknowledge its significance and influence.  It also spurred some less capable artists onto recording with an orchestra, but we probably shouldn't hold that against them

Ok, I wondered why you were asking about that specific album lol. Yeah I really liked it. Maybe just a tad less than TOSOL, but definitely more than Sur la Mer. DOFP is my favorite from them, I think it's darn near a masterpiece. All of those 'Great 7' or whatever they're called are great(obviously), but that one is special imo.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 03 2020 at 22:45
This weekend I´ll promise to start listen Octave and those other later Moody-albums! BTW are those albums after Other Side that kind you need to listen them?

Edit: Watched earlier thread and some recommend them and some not. So I guess I will listen them all.

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 01:17
Just listened Octave and it was much better than I remembered! I remembered it was much more modern sounding. Anyway it will not rise into level of their greatest albums, but to me into same level as "Every Good Boy" and "Seventh Sojourn".

Hey Yesesis, when you have started to like Moodies, have you already tried also Procol Harum? If not then recommended albums are Shine on Brightly (my fav), a Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel & Exotic Bird and Fruit.

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened Octave and it was much better than I remembered! I remembered it was much more modern sounding. Anyway it will not rise into level of their greatest albums, but to me into same level as "Every Good Boy" and "Seventh Sojourn".

Hey Yesesis, when you have started to like Moodies, have you already tried also Procol Harum? If not then recommended albums are Shine on Brightly (my fav), a Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel & Exotic Bird and Fruit.

I'd second that!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:12
Ok, I'm listening to the Magnificent Moodies right now(right in the middle of it). Well, it doesn't really scream 60's for me like it does for you(Yesesis) but maybe that's because I usually associate the sixties with psychedelia and hippy kind of stuff which this is definitely not. 

Anyway, this doesn't really do a lot for me to be honest but it's not really bad. Just not what I'm used to I guess. It's sort of like white guys doing mo-town really which is why they chose their name. Unlike the later stuff this music sure fits their name. Maybe they should have changed their name after this? ;)

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:41

Ok, I'm listening to the Magnificent Moodies right now(right in the middle of it). Well, it doesn't really scream 60's for me like it does for you(Yesesis) but maybe that's because I usually associate the sixties with psychedelia and hippy kind of stuff which this is definitely not. 

Anyway, this doesn't really do a lot for me to be honest but it's not really bad. Just not what I'm used to I guess. It's sort of like white guys doing mo-town really which is why they chose their name. Unlike the later stuff this music sure fits their name. Maybe they should have changed their name after this? ;)
I have had quite the same thoughts about their debut. Not bad but really not the greatest sixties album. I think I have listened it only few times (maybe have to listen that after listened those newer albums) but what I remembered B-side was better than A (I think it was also recorded little bit later).

But when talking about white guys doing motown stuff I think the Young Rascals/the Rascals has been the band that has succeeded that the best.

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:27

can't agree there...I think the last few of the magnificent 7 are the best.  But I liked Octave quite a bit at the time.  I don't think it has held up in my esteem as much over the years.  I'll have to listen again. 

BTW, does anyone listen to the Ric Edelman show in US?  He is a financial advisor who does a weekly show that different stations pickup.  As he goes to break, a lot of 70s and 80s music is played and I'm sure, based on his ego, that he is choosing the songs.  One of them is "You and Me" by the Moodys, from "Seventh Sojourn", the first 20 seconds or so.  

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:28

I have had quite the same thoughts about their debut. Not bad but really not the greatest sixties album. I think I have listened it only few times (maybe have to listen that after listened those newer albums) but what I remembered B-side was better than A (I think it was also recorded little bit later).

But when talking about white guys doing motown stuff I think the Young Rascals/the Rascals has been the band that has succeeded that the best.

Could be. I'm sure there were others too. Sometimes it's referred to as "blue eyed soul." Anyway, I sometimes get the Rascals mixed up with the Loving Spoonful but I'm really not quite sure why. I guess maybe because they were similar sounding(imo). The early Moodies stuff was in that same ballpark no doubt. 

I remember my brother's friend had a friend who I went with to get tickets to see them(actually wound up going with my mom since my brother's friend(not his friend)couldn't make it due to being sick)wasn't a prog rock fan but liked the Moody Blues because he was a fan of British Invasion bands so he wasn't into Yes, Genesis, PF, ELP, etc but was into The Rolling Stones, Kinks, DC5, Beatles, etc. He apparently lumped the Moodies in with those bands.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:31
in the right mood, I can enjoy 80s Moodies.
I've never liked Octave though, I found it quite boring, uninteresting (a better description).

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 11:29

can't agree there...I think the last few of the magnificent 7 are the best.  But I liked Octave quite a bit at the time.  I don't think it has held up in my esteem as much over the years.  I'll have to listen again. 

BTW, does anyone listen to the Ric Edelman show in US?  He is a financial advisor who does a weekly show that different stations pickup.  As he goes to break, a lot of 70s and 80s music is played and I'm sure, based on his ego, that he is choosing the songs.  One of them is "You and Me" by the Moodys, from "Seventh Sojourn", the first 20 seconds or so.  
Well, I think songs are not as great in "Every Good Boy" & "Seventh Sojourn" as in "Days of Future" - "Question of Balance" -albums.

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 11:31

Could be. I'm sure there were others too. Sometimes it's referred to as "blue eyed soul." Anyway, I sometimes get the Rascals mixed up with the Loving Spoonful but I'm really not quite sure why. I guess maybe because they were similar sounding(imo). The early Moodies stuff was in that same ballpark no doubt. 

I remember my brother's friend had a friend who I went with to get tickets to see them(actually wound up going with my mom since my brother's friend(not his friend)couldn't make it due to being sick)wasn't a prog rock fan but liked the Moody Blues because he was a fan of British Invasion bands so he wasn't into Yes, Genesis, PF, ELP, etc but was into The Rolling Stones, Kinks, DC5, Beatles, etc. He apparently lumped the Moodies in with those bands.
My brother has also always liked the Moody Blues & Procol (also some Floyd, but not really before Dark Side-albums), he liked much classic 60-70 rock, but never been into Yes, Genesis (well like eighties stuff), ELP or KC.

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 11:49
There's only a handful of studio albums that I never heard or owned and Octave is one of them. I'm in no hurry to get it though. Wink

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 19:08

Yeah it doesn't even sound like the same band to me at all. To me it sounds like just a very generic 60's album. Really uninspired. But the next one..

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 19:14

Procol Harum? They sing that Pale song from the 60's I know. Good song but I always thought they were a one hit wonder. But yeah I guess I could maybe listen to something by them after I finish all these Moody Blues albums here lol.

So now off to listen to... Keys of the Kingdom. Uh oh. This is an album I've been warned not to listen to by a couple different people now. Well going in with lowest possible expectations here. I mean, how bad can it be?

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 20:21
Well that wasn't bad at all. I actually liked all those song, but didn't love them. Seemed far from the glory day of the 'Magnificent 7' but still.. really not bad. I'd even say I liked it.

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 23:00

Yeah it doesn't even sound like the same band to me at all. To me it sounds like just a very generic 60's album. Really uninspired. But the next one..
Well, you can almost say it was a different band. Denny Lane was a kind of frontman of the first version and did a lot of songwriting, also in the second version both new members contribution to music were really huge. BTW have you heard their single "Boulevard De La Madeleine" that come quite soon after the first album? I have always really loved that song!

Date Posted: April 04 2020 at 23:06

Procol Harum? They sing that Pale song from the 60's I know. Good song but I always thought they were a one hit wonder. But yeah I guess I could maybe listen to something by them after I finish all these Moody Blues albums here lol.

So now off to listen to... Keys of the Kingdom. Uh oh. This is an album I've been warned not to listen to by a couple different people now. Well going in with lowest possible expectations here. I mean, how bad can it be?
I know you´re not serious, but still I think it´s sad many thinks about Procol that way. Also, I asked about it from one younger musiclover, who knew artists like Captain Beefheart and Tim Buckley and she said me "never heard". I hummed her the intro of "Whiter" and she of course said aaah I have heard that but didn´t know who´s song it is. It´s really sad when Procol is as great as Moodies and they both are not far away from the greatest stuff of Genesis & Yes (although both are much more easy listening stuff).

And...Procol has also that other "hat" (Homburg).

Date Posted: April 05 2020 at 19:06
I know A Whiter Shade of Pale is a great all time classic song. And I have seen the band mentioned on here a few times. But other than that I really know next to nothing about them, but I will plan to listen to some of those albums you mentioned right after I finish with these here.

Alright next up, Strange Times. Off to listen to it now.

Date Posted: April 05 2020 at 20:15
The best one yet! I can't believe how good that was.. every single song was awesomeeee!

Kidding. That was very iffy. Probably my least favorite of all of these so far. Some of the songs were pretty good, like 3, 5, 6, 11. But REALLY soft lol. Didn't get a song that was even close to energetic until 12. I kept wanting to like it, but no it just wasn't good I'm sorry.

Date Posted: April 05 2020 at 20:54
Did you listen to prelude yet? I liked that better than the first one. 

Date Posted: April 05 2020 at 21:12

Oh come on lol. All these 'extra albums' will be neverending. Tomorrow night I'm going to listen to December, and then that will finish their whole discography. Then ok.. Tuesday night I'll listen to either Blue Jays or this Prelude(you can decide). And then Wednesday night I need to get on to Shine on Brightly like I promised Mortte.

Date Posted: April 05 2020 at 22:04

Oh come on lol. All these 'extra albums' will be neverending. Tomorrow night I'm going to listen to December, and then that will finish their whole discography. Then ok.. Tuesday night I'll listen to either Blue Jays or this Prelude(you can decide). And then Wednesday night I need to get on to Shine on Brightly like I promised Mortte.

No, I don't get to decide what you listen to. Lol. I can only make suggestions. No hurry just get to it when you get to it. Wink

Date Posted: April 05 2020 at 22:24
Alright bud, thanks for understanding. I will get to it eventually though.

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:04

I know A Whiter Shade of Pale is a great all time classic song. And I have seen the band mentioned on here a few times. But other than that I really know next to nothing about them, but I will plan to listen to some of those albums you mentioned right after I finish with these here.

Alright next up, Strange Times. Off to listen to it now.
If you don´t like Shine On Brightly, then give Grand Hotel try. Grand Hotel is more seventies sounding, although Shine On is not typical sixties sounding (not as much echo as in many 1968 albums).

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:17
my personal favourite is their very first, I think just s/t.  Lots of great piano/organ ballads.  I don't think they ever equaled that.  I know most like Shine on Brightly for the side long suite but to me it is too bloated.  I did like several of the shorter pieces like the title track and Quite Rightly so.

Other Procol albums that I like (though they all have flaws) are Salty Dog, Home and Grand Hotel.  Of course, the Live version of Conquistador is great (which makes them a 2 hit wonder in NA) but I'm not a fan of the live album overall

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 09:39

my personal favourite is their very first, I think just s/t.  Lots of great piano/organ ballads.  I don't think they ever equaled that.  I know most like Shine on Brightly for the side long suite but to me it is too bloated.  I did like several of the shorter pieces like the title track and Quite Rightly so.

Other Procol albums that I like (though they all have flaws) are Salty Dog, Home and Grand Hotel.  Of course, the Live version of Conquistador is great (which makes them a 2 hit wonder in NA) but I'm not a fan of the live album overall
Hi Ken. The last I looked, about a week ago, this thread was about the Moody Blues. It now seems to have morphed into a Procol discussion. To me, PH's albums are so distinct from each other, that I have to be in the mood for a certain set of them. The debut and Shine On Brightly go well together but not with A Salty Dog, which to me, goes well only with Grand Hotel. Funny, huh? And Exotic Birds and Fruit goes well with Porcol's Ninth and no others. And Home only goes well with Broken Barracades...

I forgot where I was going with this post, but I'll think I'll listen to a couple of Procol albums to refresh my memory. Or not, but I'll enjoy them anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 11:55
It seems everyone's an expert on every artist except me lol. That's interesting. Anyway, so some are saying the debut is the best, and some are saying Shine on Brightly. But ultimately I will be the one who decides that lol. No I'm kidding. I'll get started on those albums at least by Wednesday. Looks like today I may be able to get 2 albums in, my cup runneth over lol.

Alright off now to listen to December and that will FINALLY finish the Moody Blues studio albums.

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 12:52
Wow, I actually really enjoyed that. I can definitely see why they left off on that note. That was legitimately good, weakened a little in the last few songs but still overall quite good.

So ok, overall.. really good band obviously. My favorites were those 'Magnificent 7' albums(obviously) plus Long Distance Voyager, The Present, The Other Side of Life, and.. December!

So my plan now is to listen to this 'Prelude' tonight, then tomorrow night Blue Jays, then.. Wednesday night Shine On Brightly(and the debut Thursday night).

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 13:31
You've certainly explored far more of The Moody Blues than I have (I have heard a few albums, but not in ages).

As for Procol Harum, the "In Held Twas in I" suite off Shine on Brightly is, I think, terrific, and is very important to me additionally from an early Progressive Rock perspective. For another interesting band to check out from the 60s if you haven;t already (and sorry if it's already been mentioned as I haven't read the thread), there is Family.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 14:51
Well I went ahead and listened to Prelude, and boy FlowerKC you were on the money with that one. That was great! I think I liked December so much largely because I was comparing it to their other post 80's albums. And then you here something like this lol. Really reminds you how good this band can be. Obviously I agree with you it's way better than that debut album. Man, thank you really for recommending that. A bunch of great MB stuff that I never would have otherwise heard. 'Long Summer Days' was totally kick butt and worth it just for that track alone. Whole thing was great though, so glad you recommended it to me. 

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You've certainly explored far more of The Moody Blues than I have (I have heard a few albums, but not in ages).
As for Procol Harum, the "In Held Twas in I" suite off Shine on Brightly is, I think, terrific, and is very important to me additionally from an early Progressive Rock perspective. For another interesting band to check out from the 60s if you haven;t already (and sorry if it's already been mentioned as I haven't read the thread), there is Family.

Family, ok. Thanks for the recommendation. When I get through these Procol Harum albums I'll go to that deal next lol. I try to listen to one new album a day(or at least average that). So good, lot's of new stuff for me now. Right on.

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:30

Well I went ahead and listened to Prelude, and boy FlowerKC you were on the money with that one. That was great! I think I liked December so much largely because I was comparing it to their other post 80's albums. And then you here something like this lol. Really reminds you how good this band can be. Obviously I agree with you it's way better than that debut album. Man, thank you really for recommending that. A bunch of great MB stuff that I never would have otherwise heard. 'Long Summer Days' was totally kick butt and worth it just for that track alone. Whole thing was great though, so glad you recommended it to me. 

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Family, ok. Thanks for the recommendation. When I get through these Procol Harum albums I'll go to that deal next lol. I try to listen to one new album a day(or at least average that). So good, lot's of new stuff for me now. Right on.

If you do try Family, a word of warning, you might not like Roger Chapman’s vocals which to me rather sound like the love child of Peter Gabriel of Genesis, Roger Wootton of Comus, and Demis Roussos of Aphrodite's Child (Peter Gabriel being the most obvious to my ears).

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:41
^Roger Chapman also kind of sounds like a goat. 

Family, Barclay James Harvest and Strawbs are all worthy bands to check out next. Also, the war of the worlds album(which doesn't really sound like MB but has Justin Hayward on it). ;) Also, the Alan Parsons Project and ELO.

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:40
That's true. I was going to call it an unholy union of those three (having watched the Omen recently), but decided not to. Now that you mention a goat, that would have been really appropriate terminology.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 18:57
What lol. And I'm supposed to be excited about listening to this band?

Barclay James Harvest I'm already a fan of, they're great. And now.. the Alan Parsons Project I am excited about listening to because I certainly remember Games People Play and, of course, Eye in the Sky from the 80's. Really good stuff. But I did promise at least 1 Family album. So the plan now is to listen to those best like 3 or 4 Procol Harum albums, then 1 family album(obviously if I really like it then I'll listen to more), then onto Alan Parsons!

Date Posted: April 06 2020 at 19:38
Well, if you want to hear an album that sort of got the prog ball rolling before most then you could do a lot worse than the first Family album called "music from a doll's house." There's a lot of experimentation on it. You'll hear violins, saxophones, mellotron, cool musical interludes, bluesy jams, psychy guitar and yes a singer who sort of resembles a horny goat at times. Enjoy! Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk