Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122666
Printed Date: June 30 2022 at 05:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums
Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Subject: Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums
Date Posted: April 07 2020 at 14:32
During these days of lock down, I find myself listening a lot to Tangerine Dream.  I was really into the band about 40 odd years ago but my interest started to wane when they ended their tenure with Virgin Records.

I don't really know much of the bands music outside of this period.

I have seen a lot of top 10 lists of the band before in many different forums, but the Virgin albums tend to dominate (Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet etc).  This is obviously because these are the best albums the band produced.

So, this list is going to be a little different.

Can you say what your 10 favourite TD albums are APART from the Virgin releases?

You can choose from studio albums, live albums and film soundtracks.

No compilation albums please.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 07 2020 at 15:52
I imagine this thread won't last very long. ;) I'm actually no expert at all but I really like the "exit" album which came out right after the classic period. 

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: April 07 2020 at 16:52
I *might* have listened to 10 of their albums, so my list wouldn't be a good one.

I loved the ones I listened to, though.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 07 2020 at 20:48
Hi,

I think I have almost all of the albums, and I'm not sure there is a bad one anywhere to be found ... I'm awfully fond of the albums with the ladies in concert for 25 years, from Linda Spa and then with Iris Camaa ... and a guitarist now and then, which added a really nice touch to the whole thing ... a lot of people trashed Linda Spa, and she gave 25 years of her life to TD, only to be cast aside as not needed or wanted. 

I have no "favorite" per se as there are too many things that stand out for me ... and the Live concerts are often the highlight for me, going way back to the bootleg days, when the behemoth synthesizers could not quite be setup to redo the same thing again, and in the book EF states that sometimes they had to improvise until Chris Franke was able to bring things up ... and he always did, although not always the same, but good enough.

All the bootlegs were totally different than what you hear on albums and it wasn't until the Tangram/Exit and White Eagle era that the music began to be closer to the originals, although still not totally.

After that, it was no longer an issue.

Special favorites:

220 Volt Live -- Massive Live Album ... you and I would pay to see that every day.

Phaedra Farewell Tour 2014 -- Another Massive Concert.

Starmus -- Great, even if you only see it for Bryan May,

Sorcerer -- The complete concerts in Australia just before EF passed away.

Zeit/Atem -- Early Days ... still sound beautiful

The different stuff still good:

Inferno
Purgatorio
Jeanne D'Arc
Kafka - The Castle

I have not enjoyed the "newer" version of the TD, which sounds way too "metalic/machine" like for me, and has lost a touch that both Linda and Iris had given it ... which took it away from the "men's tour" ... that feature a lot of very nice and well done stuff. It has also lost the "classical" feel that EF had all his life in the music and its presentation, and is now, for my tastes, a band that lacks the "inner movie" AND "story" that so much of its music had presented to us all these years.

Times change,sometimes not for the best, I guess ... I miss EF badly ... and would also like to state that I would love to see Chris Franke back doing some music ... he was valuable and does not deserve to be an after thought and left behind! His music for BABYLON 5 was excellent, were it not for it being HORRIBLY used by directors that had no feel or understanding for any kind of music whatsoever!

I'm almost out of breadth ... sorry about this long one, but TD, for me ... is a sacred statue and cow if you will.Clap  Thumbs Up

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... favoritism is not an artistic merit! www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 01:25
Zeit, Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Sorcerer, plus Froese : Aqua, Epsilon in malaysian pale, Peter Baumann : Romance 76

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:23
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Zeit, Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Sorcerer, plus Froese : Aqua, Epsilon in malaysian pale, Peter Baumann : Romance 76

Thanks but half of these are on Virgin Records.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I think I have almost all of the albums, and I'm not sure there is a bad one anywhere to be found ... I'm awfully fond of the albums with the ladies in concert for 25 years, from Linda Spa and then with Iris Camaa ... and a guitarist now and then, which added a really nice touch to the whole thing ... a lot of people trashed Linda Spa, and she gave 25 years of her life to TD, only to be cast aside as not needed or wanted.†

I have no "favorite" per se as there are too many things that stand out for me ... and the Live concerts are often the highlight for me, going way back to the bootleg days, when the behemoth synthesizers could not quite be setup to redo the same thing again, and in the book EF states that sometimes they had to improvise until Chris Franke was able to bring things up ... and he always did, although not always the same, but good enough.

All the bootlegs were totally different than what you hear on albums and it wasn't until the Tangram/Exit and White Eagle era that the music began to be closer to the originals, although still not totally.

After that, it was no longer an issue.

Special favorites:

220 Volt Live -- Massive Live Album ... you and I would pay to see that every day.

Phaedra Farewell Tour 2014 -- Another Massive Concert.

Starmus -- Great, even if you only see it for Bryan May,

Sorcerer -- The complete concerts in Australia just before EF passed away.

Zeit/Atem -- Early Days ... still sound beautiful

The different stuff still good:

Inferno
Purgatorio
Jeanne D'Arc
Kafka - The Castle

I have not enjoyed the "newer" version of the TD, which sounds way too "metalic/machine" like for me, and has lost a touch that both Linda and Iris had given it ... which took it away from the "men's tour" ... that feature a lot of very nice and well done stuff. It has also lost the "classical" feel that EF had all his life in the music and its presentation, and is now, for my tastes, a band that lacks the "inner movie" AND "story" that so much of its music had presented to us all these years.

Times change,sometimes not for the best, I guess ... I miss EF badly ... and would also like to state that I would love to see Chris Franke back doing some music ... he was valuable and does not deserve to be an after thought and left behind! His music for BABYLON 5 was excellent, were it not for it being HORRIBLY used by directors that had no feel or understanding for any kind of music whatsoever!

I'm almost out of breadth ... sorry about this long one, but TD, for me ... is a sacred statue and cow if you will.Clap††Thumbs Up

Thanks for your great post. Your knowledge and love of the band is apparent in every word. I can see that I have missed out on a lot of great music by not following the band beyond the Virgin Records period. The enthusiasm that you express has inspired me to listen to the albums that you have spoken about.

I am also interested in the book that you refer to, and will be ordering a copy of this as soon as I finish this message.

Thanks

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:52
I'm really a 70's TD fan, as I stop at Force Majeure.

Surely the first four Ohr label albums (EM, AC, Zeit & Atem)are my faves and most/all would navigate in between the classic 73-79 albums on my scale of preference (not a fan of the later Virgin albums). I'd also add Green Desert, which is a trafficked session from 73 that was released in 85.

TBH, I heard the highly touted Poland & Logos, but I'm not impressed, but yeah, they'd be thrown in my top 10 list you're seeking for ... but don't expect me to fill it up to the brim Wink

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 04:46
I did not know Green Desert came from 1973 sessions. Cool ! I need to listen to this one.

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:03
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm really a 70's TD fan, as I stop at Force Majeure.
TBH, I heard the highly touted Poland & Logos, but I'm not impressed, but yeah, they'd be thrown in my top 10 list you're seeking for ... but don't expect me to fill it up to the brim Wink

Hi,

According to EF in the book, "Poland" was the concert from hell ... it was frozen outside and they had not enough heaters and they were worried about some of the synths going out as there was not enough electricity for them all to run along with the heaters necessary to make the place half way comfortable ... but the audience apparently didn't care ... they got to see TD ... and if the albums are an indication ... it was a  magnificent show.

I'm about to read the book again, just to recheck a couple of things ... but EF does not exactly talk about the "music" at all ... mostly about his relations left and right and jokes and such, and the history of the band in concert is most of the story, along with two events ... Dali and Bowie. The first one is ... unusual and I'm not sure that many of us will get much out of it. The second one, some folks thought it was too long and kinda ends when EF decided not to play in one song, to which he explained to DB why ... it was not his kind of music and he could not improvise. But the best one is the bit about Bowie at the piano when a studio session was cancelled.

Other than that, the book never really got to Jerome and any music during that time ... or after.

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... favoritism is not an artistic merit! www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:09
Underwater Sunlight. I donít think thatís on.Virgin, my copy isnít anyway. Then I didnít like most of Optical Race and stopped at that.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:50
I've got to say I'm one more of those who have difficulties to list ten non-Virgin albums, as the Virgin phase is clearly their peak. Actually I like their work up to Hyperborea, the last Virgin album.
I also like the first four albums,
1) Zeit  
2) Atem
3) Electronic Meditation
4) Alpha Centauri
...and then I know
5) Official Bootleg Series Vol. I
6) Official Bootleg Series Vol. II / Quichotte,
which are not Virgin but Virgin era. Even Sorcerer, non-Virgin recorded at Virgin times, is just OKish, as are...
7) Poland
8) Sorcerer
9) Underwater Sunlight
10) Machu Picchu.
I still have Optical Race and Tyger, but they are diabolical, and the band lost me with them for good. I only heard bits and pieces from three newer albums, and they're better but still don't do much for me; Machu Picchu is actually the only one, apart from some live shows, that I have heard in full, and only once.  
At least I can list ten non-Virgin albums...

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:49
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Underwater Sunlight. I donít think thatís on.Virgin, my copy isnít anyway. Then I didnít like most of Optical Race and stopped at that.

Underwater Sunlight was released on Relativity Records in the US, and Jive Electro in the UK and Europe. That's one of my favorite TD albums. I first had it on cassette and probably played it 10,000 times.

-------------
http://www.ebay.com/sch/musicosm/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/sch/musicosm/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:52

I did not know Green Desert came from 1973 sessions. Cool ! I need to listen to this one.

It was recorded in 1973 but not part of any particular sessions. Peter Bauman wasn't on it so it wasn't part of the sesions for Phaedra for example.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Desert" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Desert

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I imagine this thread won't last very long. ;) I'm actually no expert at all but I really like the "exit" album which came out right after the classic period. 

I've loved Exit since forever, as it was my first TD album, purchased on LP (then cassette and several times on CD). Exit's on Virgin. The last Virgin record was Hyperborea.

-------------
http://www.ebay.com/sch/musicosm/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/sch/musicosm/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 14:19
Sorcerer 2014 is a fabulous recording. Perhaps my favorite TD album. 
Really like The Island of Fey (2011), The Angel From the West Window (2011), Booster IV(2012) 
Others : The Dream mixes (1995), Rocking Mars (2005), Destination Berlin (1989) and Tyranny of Beauty (1995).

But my other big fave remains Pergamon (1986) 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 15:16
^I agree, Sorcerer 2014 is one of TD's best "recent" releases!

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 17:01
Double post.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Can you say what your 10 favourite TD albums are APART from the Virgin releases?

A bit harder than I surmised, but I got there. After the Virgin era, the live albums and film scores offer more in the ways of variety and quality!

1 Poland (The Warsaw Concert) (1984)
2 Firestarter (OST) (1984)
3 Heartbreakers (OST) (1985)
4 Underwater Sunlight (1986)
5 Green Desert (1973/1986)
6 Near Dark (OST) (1987)
7 Miracle Mile (OST (1989)
8 Sorcerer 2014 (Cinematagrophic Score) (2014)
9 Official Bootleg Series, Volume Two: Palais de Congres, Paris~1978/Palast der Republik, East Berlin~1980 (2016)
10 Official Bootleg Series, Volume Three: Ford Auditorium, Detroit~1977/Regent Theatre, Sydney~1982 (2019) 

-------------

Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 16:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I imagine this thread won't last very long. ;)

Sadly, your prediction was on the mark. I could have sworn there were many more fans here...!

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 17:07
I had a small core group of Virgin-era albums for many years but never went beyond that til recently. But lately Iíve been going further on into the 80s and beyond. Still donít have 10 favorites but did want you to know I like the band. Tyranny of Beauty seems to stand out from the handful Iíve got. They show up in used CD stores quite often so I just grab whateverís there.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 18:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I had a small core group of Virgin-era albums for many years but never went beyond that til recently. But lately Iíve been going further on into the 80s and beyond. Still donít have 10 favorites but did want you to know I like the band. Tyranny of Beauty seems to stand out from the handful Iíve got. They show up in used CD stores quite often so I just grab whateverís there.

I know there are many fans here. Yeah, I imagine you could pick up quite a few of the Virgin, Private and Miramar CD releases secondhand with little effort. The ones from the last twenty years seem absent from most brick and mortar stores. 

If you don't already have it, track down Views from a Red Train. It's one of their best post-1990 albums. 2008.

-------------

Posted By: zeuhl1
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 20:31
Eliminating the virgin releases makes this a list that does require a bit of thought:
1. Sorcerer (1977)
2. Green Desert (1973)
3. Atem (1973)
4. Zeit (1972)
5. Alpha Centauri (1971)
6. Underwater Sunlight (1986)
7. Livemiles (1988)
8. Canyon Dreams (1987)
9. Poland (1984)
10. Electronic Meditation (1970)
Underwater Sunlight tour I saw them twice, fantastic stuff! (met Edgar backstage too :-)  I saw them on the Optical Race tour and didn't really like the direction they'd veered into and didn't buy the lp or cd and stopped following their releases after buying everything up to that point.
A friend ran lights for a show in the early 90's and noticed during soundcheck they were playing DAT tapes for major parts of their set so they wouldn't make mistakes or have glitches, and mimed for large sections. That cinched it for me.
The Tangerine Tree and Leaves series is well worth looking into for fans of the 70's era. Some of their masterpieces exist there.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 01:38
1. Kyoto
2. Purgatorio
3. Poland
4. Underwater Sunlight
5. Views From A Red Train
6. Le Parc
7. Canyon Dreams
8. The Seven Letters From Tibet
9. The Island Of The Fay
10. Finnegan's Wake

love the idea of this thread

They made lots of great albums post 1983 but there was a very poor period between Melorose (1990) and Seven Letters From Tibet (2000) when I struggle to find that much I like. They picked up again in the 00's and I have all the Booster series of albums. I have a complete shelf at home dedicated to just TD.

Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 01:44
BTW I also like the album Particles that was released in 2016 and is an official release. It includes the Stranger Themes theme tune. Anyone know why this isn't listed on PA?

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

BTW I also like the album Particles that was released in 2016 and is an official release. It includes the Stranger Themes theme tune. Anyone know why this isn't listed on PA?

Because you didn't add it? Tongue

Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 02:41

It is listed on PA but is in the ĎOfficial Singles, EPs and Promosí section of the discography. It is a strange one to categorise because half of it is live material and half of it is new studio material. But the singles section seems a strange fit.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 02:44
Just acquired ĎThe Sessions 1í on vinyl, which features two live improvisations (one on each side). It harks back to the Phaedra / Rubycon days. I really like it.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 23:55

It is listed on PA but is in the ĎOfficial Singles, EPs and Promosí section of the discography. It is a strange one to categorise because half of it is live material and half of it is new studio material. But the singles section seems a strange fit.

Thanks. Actually if I had read the information on the back of the CD cover it tells me that it's an 'EP' anyway, so that was a clue lol.

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 03:44
Originally posted by zeuhl1 zeuhl1 wrote:

2. Green Desert (1973)

The Tangerine Tree and Leaves series is well worth looking into for fans of the 70's era. Some of their masterpieces exist there.

1985 would be more honest for GD, because that's when it was released, and nobody knows how much of the original tapes from 73 still exist in the final tampered-with state.

What is this Tree&Leaves series, BTW?

Date Posted: April 15 2020 at 10:31

2. Green Desert (1973)

1985 would be more honest for GD, because that's when it was released, and nobody knows how much of the original tapes from 73 still exist in the final tampered-with state.

Things to keep in mind with Green Desert:

Chris Franke hadn't touched a drumkit for at least ten years. Those drums on the title cut are from the '70s. And so are the drums on "White Cloud."

Edgar's guitar tone is his '70s psych tone. Compare it to his tone on Underwater Sunlight.

Some of the synth pads are discernibly modern, but they're layered over the '70s tapes. Altogether, the results feel very organic and I love the album.

-------------

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 23:42
Top 10 Post Virgin TD albums although I haven't followed them much since the early 2000's. And 2 bonus albums Smile

1) Underwater Sunlight
2) Poland
3) Le Parc
4) Heartbreakers
5) Lily on the Beach
6) 220 Volt Live
7) Tournado
8) Soundmill Navigator (kind of a cheat has its from 1976 but released in 2000)
9) Seven Letters
10) Turn of the Tides
11) Quantum Key
12) Kyoto

Posted By: zeuhl1
Date Posted: April 20 2020 at 22:19

2. Green Desert (1973)

What is this Tree&Leaves series, BTW?

The Tangerine Tree project was something done around 2002 or so where fans sent in recordings: soundboards, master tapes, audience tapes, films etc to the curators who then cleaned them up and sorted them according to sound quality. The really good stuff became Tangerine Tree, and the lesser quality but still good stuff became the Tangerine Leaves series. There's about 90 releases totaling about 300 hours of unreleased stuff in this project. It was then remastered and full color cd covers were designed, often with stage photos from the event. They were distributed on the web by the tree/leaf method where one person fed others the files, creating more trees along the line to keep feeding the end users, the leaves, who were encouraged to become trees themselves. They adhered to a strict deadhead style of tape trading, absolutely NO cash could trade hands or you found yourself banished for life from the program. I remember getting a bag of Cds from Europe that my friends could not believe. I had to print out the covers and assemble the finished product with cannibalized jewel cases. Great stuff!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 03:07
No particular order:

Alpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure
Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

-------------
ďThe Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.Ē

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: April 21 2020 at 05:59

Number #1 released after 1983 would of course be In Search of Hades, but that is again made up of a lot of (unreleased) Virgin era material.
If you don't have it yet, probably youtube can give you an idea of how great the unreleased Oedipus Tyrannus (1974) is, as well as the 1974 concerts included in the box and the Phaedra 1973 sessions.

Then Poland of course, but that material also still belonged to the Virgin years.

I don't really care much for anything they released since 1984, up until 2014 when they did a great rerecording of Sorcerer.
Also, since Edgar's passing, the remaining members have played and released many long improvisations, dubbed 'The Sessions'
Especially Session II is fantastic but they sure all have their moments.

Next to all that bands like Redshift and Radio Massacre International have been putting out consistently great material since the 90s. A lot of it available for listening on Bandcamp

Date Posted: April 23 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

No particular order:

Alpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure

Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

someone else not bothering to read the OP LOL

Date Posted: April 23 2020 at 04:02
I played Miracle Mile yesterday and liked it a lot.

Date Posted: April 24 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Then Poland of course, but that material also still belonged to the Virgin years.

No it didn't. The last Virgin years album is Hyperborea in 83.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 24 2020 at 01:28

No particular order:

Alpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure

Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

someone else not bothering to read the OP†LOL

Yup caught red handed
If one however really digs the Virgin years Iíd highly recommend the two official bootleg releases that contain a lot of brilliant stuff from the 70s.

-------------
ďThe Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.Ē

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Kempokid
Date Posted: April 24 2020 at 03:30
I can't pick out 10 of their albums, especially if we're discounting the virgin ones, but I'm a massive fan of Zeit, and it's overall my second favourite by them on the whole. 

Date Posted: April 24 2020 at 04:39
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Number #1 released after 1983 would of course be In Search of Hades, but that is again made up of a lot of (unreleased) Virgin era material.
If you don't have it yet, probably youtube can give you an idea of how great the unreleased Oedipus Tyrannus (1974) is, as well as the 1974 concerts included in the box and the Phaedra 1973 sessions

Well I did think of that, but it's a Virgin boxset, so it cannot apply in this thread. LOL

No particular orderAlpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure

Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

someone else not bothering to read the OP LOL

Yup caught red handed
If one however really digs the Virgin years Iíd highly recommend the two official bootleg releases that contain a lot of brilliant stuff from the 70s.

Well you top 5 is exactly mine, f only in disorder. LOL

Which of those bootlegs would you be talking about, now? Wink

Date Posted: April 25 2020 at 18:36

I played Miracle Mile yesterday and liked it a lot.

Clap Yeah! After Underwater Sunlight, Miracle Mile is tied with Near Dark for their best album of the latter half of the '80s (yes, they're better than the three other studio albums after '86). 

Another thing about Miracle Mile is how well it's aging in spite of its intrinsically digital tonal palette, not an analog machine anywhere to be found. The music is just so good.

I'm not sure if you listened to the original release or not, but Miracle Mile was remastered and reissued as a two-CD with a lot more music! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2020 at 18:44

Which of those bootlegs would you be talking about, now? Wink

They're bootlegs only in title. Each volume is a box with two complete vintage concerts on four discs. Trust me, you want them. Wink

-------------

Posted By: emisan
Date Posted: May 09 2020 at 05:23
Phaedra
Rubycon
Stratosfear
Force Majeure
Tangram
Cyclone
Sorcerer
Hyperborea
Exit
Underwater Sunlight

Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 23:14
Originally posted by emisan emisan wrote:

Phaedra
Rubycon
Stratosfear
Force Majeure
Tangram
Cyclone
Sorcerer
Hyperborea
Exit
Underwater Sunlight

almost a clean sweep LOL

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:42
I don't think I've actually heard 10 TD albums but I do own 6 and like them all.  My outstanding most fave is 220 Volt Live followed by the soundtrack to Near Dark.

-------------
https://kennymitchell.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

I don't think I've actually heard 10 TD albums but I do own 6 and like them all.  My outstanding most fave is 220 Volt Live followed by the soundtrack to Near Dark.

Hi,

Such a fantastic show ... I love to play that from start to finish ... as i can not drop it in the middle! It's a shame some folks don't like it!

-------------

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 00:15

Hi,

Such a fantastic show ... I love to play that from start to finish ... as i can not drop it in the middle! It's a shame some folks don't like it!

I guess some folks wont like it because it's kind of less like classic TD and more of a one off guitar driven electronica album.  It's right up my street and I would have loved to have heard more of that kind of thing from them..

-------------
https://kennymitchell.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 07:07

Hi,

I guess some folks wont like it because it's kind of less like classic TD and more of a one off guitar driven electronica album.  It's right up my street and I would have loved to have heard more of that kind of thing from them..

Hi,

From then on until the time that EF passed , it was all pretty much like that ... with Iris Camaa and Linda Spa adding some outstanding touches and a couple of guitarists adding to the whole mix ... and the music? Never sounded better! And the various different outlooks at a lot of their music was all posted in the BOOSTER series ... in case folks want to see how different they could be.

It is/was, the same as classical music under a different conductor ... the small changes added to something new about the piece of music, and Edgar was very well aware of that, and a great student of music ... and his knowledge of it was insane, and just not given to do sound bits like so many keyboard players with less intuitive creativity!

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 07:11
Originally posted by emisan emisan wrote:

Phaedra
Rubycon
Stratosfear
Force Majeure
Tangram
Cyclone
Sorcerer
Hyperborea
Exit
Underwater Sunlight
Much like my picks, but replace Exit with Alpha Centauri, and Sorcerer with Atem. But the rest is bang-on !!

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 14:28

During these days of lock down, I find myself listening a lot to Tangerine Dream.  I was really into the band about 40 odd years ago but my interest started to wane when they ended their tenure with Virgin Records.

I don't really know much of the bands music outside of this period.

I have seen a lot of top 10 lists of the band before in many different forums, but the Virgin albums tend to dominate (Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet etc).  This is obviously because these are the best albums the band produced.

So, this list is going to be a little different.

No compilation albums please.

a reminder of the OP Smile

Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 07:16

a reminder of the OP Smile

Hi,

Goodness ... I'm old enough to not see things right ... but this one was easy for me.

Separating TD from before to the after is a bit strange for me, as they were two completely different eras of instrumentation and issues in concert and the main reason why there were so many early days bootlegs ... they were all different because they could not re-set up the synths properly, and the funny one on the book by EF is that sometimes it took CF 30 minutes to get that thing going right so they could do their thing, and then he had to control something that was difficult to control! BUT, he got it done!And many times it was a tribute to his technical knowledge of these things! EF even talks about the bulky "echo chambers" they brought with them in those early days, to get the effect they wanted, which didn't work each and every night depending on warmth, cold and such!

In many ways, the latter TD is only different in that now they could mix and add more to the mix, and then add even more to the mix over all that, and then even add a guitar to that and then ... even some electronic drums!

I think what the OP really wanted to ask was what they thought of this extraordinary achievement in performance, something that 99 out of 100 bands not only don't have, they can not even conceive of it ... but to me, TD only got better ... and better ... but saying that these things are better than the originals is very weird for me ... Phaedra at 25 is not better or worse than the original!

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 14:26
The first ten Virgin albums are my Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums, with Stratosfear being my all-time favourite.

Posted By: UncleRust
Date Posted: June 23 2020 at 17:06
The Virgin years are definitely my favorite, and I can't give 10, but I would consider giving the following a listen...in the order of my preference.

Poland (1984) - This is amazing; they had started working with digital synths and there are some very recognizable sounds of the 80s used.  Really outstanding music too, which is kind of the point.

Quantum Gate (2017) - Edgar had passed by this point, but he was involved to some extent in creating this excellent album.  More modern sounding instrumentation than most of the TD that I like, but really really really good.

Oedipus Tyrannus (1974) - This was only released more recently as part of a box set (which includes the best of the Virigin years, some remixed by Steven Wilson).  Not my favorite, but nice and experimental for the time without being annoying (I am looking at you Atem Angry).

Underwater Sunlight (1986) - This is very good, but I need to be in the right mood to not get annoyed by the whale sound.

Green Desert (1986) - Pretty good, though I can't always stay interested through the whole thing.

Also, the aforementioned box set includes several live shows from 1974-1975 that are worth checking out if you don't mind spending a bunch of money.  I think they are on YouTube if you want to try before you buy.  Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk