Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122744
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 09:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Area, Arena times two, Aria Palea, Aria Primitiva
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Area, Arena times two, Aria Palea, Aria Primitiva
Date Posted: April 16 2020 at 16:26
Limiting this to five with somewhat similar names, and two with the exact same name. This is not a contest, and I don't mind voting if you don't know all of them (please try to listen to some of the samples at least of those you don't know). I have including the category that PA places each in to help avoid confusion.

Some samples of each (sorry if you don't like my picks):

Area:

Arena:

Arena:

Aria Palia:

Aria Primitava:

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 16 2020 at 17:27
Area

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: April 16 2020 at 18:41
For me, Area is one of my favourite bands, with a number of albums I love, so it would be the obvious answer.

I like the JRF Arena, which released bu one album in the 70s. There was an Area vs. Arena poll some years ago, but It only referred to the Neo Prog one. We have three Magma's in PA, but rarely do the non-Zeuhl ones get talked about, nor do posters even specify which Magma they mean. There is also a power metal Arena band, but it's not in PA.

I do like me some Arena of the Neo-Prog ilk, even though it's not my usual kind of fare (I do have reasonably eclectic tastes).

The Aria Palea is new to me and I do like it.

I like Aria Primitiva a lot. It's Art Zoyd related, and I am a Thierry Zaboitzeff admirer. You can hear the Art Zoyd similarities in the music. That and Area are my particular favourites of the five.

That said, I don't tend to vote in my own polls.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 00:17
Neo-Prog 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 04:43
Arena +1

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 08:16
My vote goes to Area Palea, among all these great bands.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 08:28
the JRF Arena sounds nice, I've got to listen to the whole album. 

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 10:20
Of these four bands I only know perfectly well the Italian Area and the British Arena, which are two bands I like very much. About the other three, I only heard anything about the Australian Arena. I heard the three and I think all are interesting in their own way. Thanks to bring to me these three prog bands.

About my favourite band I've no doubt in choose Italian Area. Area is one of the most important RPI bands and the most original of all those bands. I even dare to say they're a unique band in the world of prog. All their albums with Stratos are amazing. So, my vote goes to them.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 10:33
Area.

I consider Arbeit Macht Frei one of the greatest album ever.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 11:35
Arbeit Macht Frei took me a while to really get into, despite already being into Caution Radiation Area, Crac!, and Maledetti (love all of those albums). Crac! is the one I'd suggest to may newbies to start with as it's a fairly accessible jazz/rock fusion album. I'm kind of odd because, well I'm odd period, Caution Radiation Area is the Area album that originally appealed to me the most, and remains my particular favourite, especially for "MIRage? Mirage!" Someone said to me basically, "How can you listen to that noise crap? Jean-Luc Ponty's "Mirage" is way better!!!", which was followed by an angry emoticon as the proverbial cherry-on-top. To each his or her own tastes. I can appreciate various Mirage's, including Klaus Schulze's and Camel's Mirage.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 13:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Arbeit Macht Frei took me a while to really get into, despite already being into Caution Radiation Area, Crac!, and Maledetti (love all of those albums). Crac! is the one I'd suggest to may newbies to start with as it's a fairly accessible jazz/rock fusion album. I'm kind of odd because, well I'm odd period, Caution Radiation Area is the Area album that originally appealed to me the most, and remains my particular favourite, especially for "MIRage? Mirage!" Someone said to me basically, "How can you listen to that noise crap? Jean-Luc Ponty's "Mirage" is way better!!!", which was followed by an angry emoticon as the proverbial cherry-on-top. To each his or her own tastes. I can appreciate various Mirage's, including Klaus Schulze's and Camel's Mirage.

At the moment, Arbeit Macht Frei is my fave album by Area but Caution and Crac are wonderful and soon I'll listen to them and see how much greatness is inside them. 

I love MIRage, beautiful experimental piece. (I appreciate Mirage by Camel, but not so much, and I should listen to Schultze).

I love the jazzy sound of Arbeit thank to Busnello sax, very expressive and dramatic and virtuosistic. 

An anedoct (taken by a blog on Italian prog) about the departure of Busnello and Dijvas between Arbeit and Caution.

"Put this way it will seem brutal, but there was a moment between '73 and '74 when the Area were about to melt.
A part of the tiredness for the incessant live activity (including a tour in Chile), two fundamental events strongly minimizing the stability and mood of the group: the first was the necessary departure of Eddy Busnello, now oblivated by alcohol and the second , far more serious, the abandonment of Patrick Djivas who left with PFM rivals.
The latter defection, asserts a real drama not so much for the lawfulness or otherwise of Djivas' gesture (in the world of Rock the rotations of the musicians are on the agenda), as for the way he did it.
Just recorded "Arbeit macht frei", in the Summer of '73 the Area noted in the project to the important given to the Olympia in Paris for which, both they and the manager Mamone, also already organized everything: loaded the tools on the truck, weighed all the equipment to avoid problems at the border and of course, tried the tracks to be played several times.

The fact is that, under the (real) pretext of meeting a girl, Djvas went to the Other World of Rimini where one of the many Jam sessions was taking place between colleagues, PFM included.
Patrick made a successful jam with Di Cioccio and Pagani and finally, looking for the girl he does not introduce himself, he is having a long morning alone with the PFM at the Chez Vous restaurant, a usual Rimini meeting place for many passing artists.
Between a glass of wine and another, Di Cioccio asked him "So, do you want to come and play with us?" and Djivas didn't think twice to leave his companions in canvas trousers: goodbye bassist and goodbye Olympia.
Fariselli remember:
"It was not easy, [...] but if these difficulties continue for all of us, [...] in him the ability to see a future in the group collapsed and he went in a really bad way. The night before he was toasting [...] and the next day he was gone. The others made peace, I didn't "

After the accident ended, now the problem was finding a new bass player, with a little luck and after many auditions including Massimo Villa of Stormy Six who refused and Roberto Della Grotta who collaborated just a week, Ares Tavolazzi was added . In fact, this is not only a test of great fluency followed by his companions in an intricate seven-eighth song that he had never heard before, but also proves humanly consistent with the rest of the band.
Busnello was no longer replaced (a part for six months between September 73 and February 74 by the rising jazz star Massimo Urbani) and Area stabilized throughout their career. "

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk