Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122962
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 18:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2112 vs Tarkus
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: 2112 vs Tarkus
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 14:39
I decided it was time to pull another poll topic from my list so here it is.

Replies:
Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 15:15

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 15:21
TARKUS !!

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 15:31
Tarkus

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 16:12
Both good musical tracks but Lake's voice wins the day.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 16:57
Tarkus, it's not even close.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 17:10
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Tarkus, it's not even close.

yep 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 18:18
For those who voted Tarkus would it have made a difference if I had Hemispheres on here instead of 2112?

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 18:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

For those who voted Tarkus would it have made a difference if I had Hemispheres on here instead of 2112?
Possibly but I voted 2112 anyway Tongue

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 18:34
I love Tarkus, but nothing can beat Rush

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 18:58
For very different reasons, I like both equally, so I voted both. 

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 19:11

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 22:03
Tarkus is one of the great ELP inventions with organ and drums before the band got too immersed in classical music from Works onwards. One of the landmarks of the progrock era. Would easily account for Hemispheres as well.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 22:55
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Possibly but I voted 2112 anyway Tongue
Me2.....I almost picked both but Alex's guitar work is amazing on all of 2112.

-------------

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 22:56
Tarkus is more interesting imo.
I like Rush, but I've kind of gone away from them in the last few years.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 23:01
2112 easily, the song that introduced progressive rock as a concept to me, and still one of the highest benchmarks I hold music against. Just the perfect amount of heady concept with emotional center, ironically more balanced in that regard than Hemispheres. I converted my best high school friend into a Rush fan by butchering singing most of it on a bus ride, and subsequently letting her borrow my Rush CD's

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 23:22
Both equally although the live version of Tarkus blows just about everything away. The studio version is a tad bland and overproduced although as a composition its one of the greatest prog tracks. Emerson composed most of it on piano and Lake then added some very nice lyrics and songs to compliment it. Palmer is very fluid and inventive on the drums . Yep very nice. 
2112 is all about The Prof for me. Peart's drumming on Overture especially is remarkable and immediately fast tracked him to the top of the tree of prog and rock drummers. Both are inventive and interesting. ELP allowed for the possibility of expansion which Rush didn't but 2112 is perfect as it is.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: May 10 2020 at 23:25
Tarkus but i like both 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 02:49

No.

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 03:09
In every single department, ELP all the way!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 04:23
2112 for me!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 04:41
Tarkus

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 05:57
Equals.

I'm more of a Rush fan than a ELP fan, but Tarkus is pretty mind blowing.

If we were comparing overall albums, and not just the side long epics, Rush would win.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:05
This...

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Equals.

If we were comparing overall albums, and not just the side long epics, Rush would win.

I was comparing the overall albums...and still 
voted Tarkus without even thinking about it.  

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:51
Tarkus, though 2112 is also fine.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 07:22
RRRRRRUUUUUSSSSSSHHHH!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 08:35
love both but I discovered 2112 early and it's one of my faves so  Rush it is

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 11:47
2112, and it's not my favourite by them.
If I want to listen to a drums/bass/keyboards band, I now tend towards Trace, Rare Bird or Greenslade (unless they have Dave Lawson's vocals).
People rave about Emerson but, for me, Rick van der Linden's classical training makes him a better keyboardist than Emerson.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If I want to listen to a drums/bass/keyboards band, I now tend towards Trace, Rare Bird or Greenslade (unless they have Dave Lawson's vocals).
People rave about Emerson but, for me, Rick van der Linden's classical training makes him a better keyboardist than Emerson.

Maybe, but I know who I would rather pay money to see!  RIP Keith.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I saw ELP at Newcastle City Hall, the gig where they recorded Pictures at an Exhibition.

I actually thought that Emerson's antics detracted from the performance and he made a number of errors. I never went to see them again, though I was supposed to be at High Voltage in 2010, but I had another engagement and gave my ticket to a friend. And he said they were extremely mediocre.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 15:45

I prefer Hemispheres to 2112, but I still would have voted for Tarkus.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 19:49

Equals.

That's a great point, album vs album, the content of 2112 is pretty amazing. I'd venture to say just A Passage to Bangkok slays Tarkus side II.
Then end with Something For Nothing, a nice heavy/hard rock/metal treat.

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 11 2020 at 23:41
Absolutely 2112! To me Tarkus is the entity put together very different kind of pieces, I really like "Stones Of Years" & "Battlefield", but not that much that musical acrobatics of Emerson. But 2112 is all the way very coherent!

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 00:24

I saw ELP at Newcastle City Hall, the gig where they recorded Pictures at an Exhibition.

I actually thought that Emerson's antics detracted from the performance and he made a number of errors. I never went to see them again, though I was supposed to be at High Voltage in 2010, but I had another engagement and gave my ticket to a friend. And he said they were extremely mediocre.

Of all the top prog keyboard players Keith was probably the most prone to mistakes. I've been listening to ELP's concert from Wheeling , Arizona 1977 quite a bit recently and parts do make me cringe. Carl Palmer was probably the best musician in the band , he barely ever fluffs a thing even when playing at breakneck speed. However keyboard wise, Keith was easily the most exciting and inventive player of his generation. However there are plenty of great technical players of that era. Of course Rick van der Linden is one of the best but I would also name Patrick Moraz , Rick Wakeman , Eddie Jobson and Jurgen Fritz as equally special. We were blessed with some truly great players in those times! 

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Equals.

That's a great point, album vs album, the content of 2112 is pretty amazing. I'd venture to say just A Passage to Bangkok slays Tarkus side II.

Lol. You must be kidding! Are You Ready Eddie is more listenable than most Rush, never mind 2112

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:44

Equals.

I agree.

ELP blew all their cookies on the suite. Side 2 was like a collection of out takes IMO. Bitches Crystal is ok. Are you Ready Eddie and Jeremy Bender were standard ELP p!ssing about, and The Only Way is toe curling. I would have preferred that to have been left as a solo organ piece. Lakes vocal are dreadful, and as much as I appreciate the concept of an atheist hymn, I find some of the lyrics clumsy.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 01:56

Equals.

I agree.

ELP blew all their cookies on the suite. Side 2 was like a collection of out takes IMO. Bitches Crystal is ok. Are you Ready Eddie and Jeremy Bender were standard ELP p!ssing about, and The Only Way is toe curling. I would have preferred that to have been left as a solo organ piece. Lakes vocal are dreadful, and as much as I appreciate the concept of an atheist hymn, I find some of the lyrics clumsy.

Misses the point; side 2 of 'Tarkus' shows the diversity of ELP that prog purists often don't get.  I agree about some of the lyrics but they are as sixth form as anything Peart came up with.  'Infinite Space' is beautiful and is too short.  'A Time and a Place' rocks - but all of side 2 (except 'Are You Ready Eddie' - and I love Keith's whacked out piano solo) has the same post-apocalyptic tone set by side 1.  

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 02:43

Equals.

I agree.

Misses the point; side 2 of 'Tarkus' shows the diversity of ELP that prog purists often don't get.  I agree about some of the lyrics but they are as sixth form as anything Peart came up with.  'Infinite Space' is beautiful and is too short.  'A Time and a Place' rocks - but all of side 2 (except 'Are You Ready Eddie' - and I love Keith's whacked out piano solo) has the same post-apocalyptic tone set by side 1.  

I didn't say their music wasn't diverse, and I'm not sure what a prog purist is, or why I may be one, just because I'm not as enthusiastic about one side of an ELP album as some other people are.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 03:50

I agree.

I love side 2 of Tarkus except for "Are You Ready Eddie". I even prefer it to side 1 of Brain Salad Surgery. For me, it is side 2 of Tarkus that gives that album the edge over Brain Salad Surgery (because I prefer "Karn Evil 9" over the "Tarkus" track).

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:03

I decided it was time to pull another poll topic from my list so here it is.

For me both equally.

In my personal ranking they took the same score, 7,5/8 on 10. Good but not excellent.

Great effort, especially for Tarkus, but too many forced passages. 

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:03

This is pretty much me as well. I'm a 40+ year Rush fan and they are my favorite band but the song Tarkus is indeed, mind blowing. Now, for many 2112 is also mind blowing but unlike many (most perhaps?) Rush fans, 2112 was never as high on my list as some other fans put it. I appreciate it's importance in Rush history and I don't dislike it but, truth be told, I rarely listen to it anymore. I'd listen to Caress of Steel all day over 2112.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:17

Equals.

I agree.

It's what Blacksword wrote about side II that is a common feeling about Tarkus, its a lot of ELP "pissing about". It has a feel of ELP not having any gas left after side I and they added some fun tracks that just don't exude much seriousness. 
I too not following "prog purist".......we are digressing from the OP.

Carry on..Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:56
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

This is pretty much me as well. I'm a 40+ year Rush fan and they are my favorite band but the song Tarkus is indeed, mind blowing. Now, for many 2112 is also mind blowing but unlike many (most perhaps?) Rush fans, 2112 was never as high on my list as some other fans put it. I appreciate it's importance in Rush history and I don't dislike it but, truth be told, I rarely listen to it anymore. I'd listen to Caress of Steel all day over 2112.

Yeah, that's precisely my position, with regard to 2112 vs COS.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 14:36
Side Two of 2112 is fine but a bit 'standard issue' compared to the main suite and that is why ELP were such an interesting band. Nothing on Side Two of Tarkus is 'standard issue' and yes is mostly 'pissing about' but as far as bands just pissing about goes you would actually pay to see them do it (and many thousands did lol!!) .The other point is that they would happily piss about for free. They were actually having fun , you know that thing that serious prog bands are not allowed to have Big smile

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 17:42
Both songs are wonderful, of course, but I really dislike the Mass part on Tarkus, and just because of that I go with 2112. As for Are you Ready Eddy, I have never understood the great hate toward that song, I find it rather enjoyable, much better than any of the other "joke" songs they have done.

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Both songs are wonderful, of course, but I really dislike the Mass part on Tarkus, and just because of that I go with 2112. As for Are you Ready Eddy, I have never understood the great hate toward that song, I find it rather enjoyable, much better than any of the other "joke" songs they have done.

What is the mass part of Tarkus? You do know this is about the side long tracks and not the whole albums right?

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 19:06

What is the mass part of Tarkus? You do know this is about the side long tracks and not the whole albums right?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Anyway, there are parts of Tarkus that drag on a bit but imo that isn't one of them. So, I voted for both because I think if you balance it out they are both equally great. 

Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:56
^ Mass is the track with the lyric 'The Weaver In The Web That He Made' and has an instrumental insert with the unique clicking technique from Emerson on the Hammond. When I first heard it just totally blew me away. In the live version you don't hear this at all and I remember that really bugging me when I was a kid , but I got over it. On the Steven Wilson reissue there is a separate longer studio jam of that instrumental bit which is quite interesting. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 17:03

Nevermind, I figured it out. Anyway, there are parts of Tarkus that drag on a bit but imo that isn't one of them. So, I voted for both because I think if you balance it out they are both equally great. 

Yeah, thankfully it's not a very long part of the song, though the parts immediatley before and after are also somewhat noisy and not so enjoyable, and so the part that I don't like becomes a bit longer. The one part I think that drags a bit is Aquatarkus, though it's not really bad or annoying... just long.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 15:15
Tarkus by 10 miles. 2112 is a great and all, but isn't on par with Tarkus.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 14:58
Love them both but Tarkus is Tarkus.

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:13
2112 but love them both

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:20

I mean seriously?   We're talking about an album designed to appeal to fifteen year-old boys vs. one of the greatest and most influential ~ scratch that, most influential ~ album in prog history.

Gatefold Sleeve

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I mean seriously?   We're talking about an album designed to appeal to fifteen year-old boys vs. one of the greatest and most influential ~ scratch that, most influential ~ album in prog history.

Gatefold Sleeve

I mean I wouldn't call 2112 THE most influential album in prog history, although it might qualify in the prog metal cate--oh, you were talking about Tarkus. Well it's not like that cover art isn't teenage comic book reader fodder! :p

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 17:43
Come on now. It's not fair to say Tarkus was designed to appeal to 15 year old boys. Tongue

Date Posted: May 31 2020 at 03:31
Tarkus was the reason I got into prog … as a fifteen year old! LOL

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: June 01 2020 at 00:40
I love Rush, but I’m going to have to go with Tarkus. The attack on this album ... and by attack I mean the decisive high velocity (wavefront) sequences of rapid-fire notes, is mesmerizing. Imagine heavy metal on a 70s style keyboard. It works. I also enjoy Brain Salad Surgery. Amazing!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk