Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123013
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 09:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Albums that did the opposite of grow on you
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: Albums that did the opposite of grow on you
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 05:53
This is a thread for albums you may have really enjoyed when you first heard them, but over time and repeated listens you may have quickly grown tired of it or seen many flaws you initially didn't pickup on. Kinda the opposite of an album growing on you. Here's a few that come to mind for me

Watershed - Opeth

There's just something off about this album, perhaps the addition of two new musicians kinda shakes things up, but overall my main complaint is that the songwriting isn't up to the previous standards. Way too much "Touch and Go" or "Stop and Start" going on in the songs. You'll have a really cool riff and section suddenly abruptly interrupted by a minute of soft, somewhat ambient mellotron passages. Some songs will just completely stop and fade back in (Porcelain Heart). I liked this album a lot when I first discovered it, but repeated listens have left me feeling very cold towards it. It just sounds like all their Death Metal energy is used up, I believe the stylistic change that followed was necessary.

Larks Tongues in Aspic - King Crimson

There was a point where I really enjoyed this album, but in the past year or so, I just haven't been able to enjoy it. I can appreciate the innovative work they're doing but I feel like King Crimson works better when their songs have more structure to them (Red, Court, Discipline). I've also found that I think there's a bit too much downtime in many of the songs for my tastes.

Script For a Jesters Tear - Marillion

I loved this one so much when I first heard it that I went right out and bought a copy off discogs, but for some reason over repeated listens the album just stopped doing anything for me. I can recognize that the songs are all pretty strong and have great melodies, but I usually find my attention drifting off for some reason. I love Misplaced Childhood, but i've come to the conclusion Marillion just isn't for me. Believe me, i've really tried.

I'll update if I think of more Smile

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Replies:
Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 06:31
In the Court of the Crimson King - KC
When I first heard it, I thought it was great and bought it. Now, I can't bear to listen to anything but Epitaph and the title track and I sold my copy a few years ago.
The Grand Illusion - Styx
Thought it was great at first, then I realised it was just prog by numbers (if it was ever prog at all).
Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield
I still like listening to it a bit, but its reputation as innovative and groundbreaking doesn't hide its flaws. And I much prefer QE2, Five Miles Out and Discovery and the Lake.
Pictures at an Exhibition - ELP
I was in the crowd when this was recorded and that gives you a feeling of attachment. But the performance on the night was - shall we say - not as good as I had hoped and it was almost all down to Emerson's antics. Now, I rarely listen to it. 
(BJH Live was another album I was present at when they recorded some of it and, in contrast, that never fails to please.)
And now I duck!
Close to the Edge - Yes.
OK, the first side is magnificent. no argument. But the second side I used to love and now just can't be bothered with as it pales into insignificance compared to side one. It's like eating your main course at The Waterside Inn in Bray and then going for dessert at McDonalds (or The Fat Duck, which served me some of the most revolting food I've ever eaten, or in some cases, not eaten, or in one case, eaten and then thrown up. In fairness, a few courses were delicious).

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 07:09
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Script For a Jesters Tear - Marillion

this is the most important album in my life, so that hurts a little

I can't name any examples right now, I just know that the-first-record-you-heard-from-the-artist/band usually remains your favourite; others from the same artist - not always, especially if the artist in question basically does the same album every 2-3 years

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 07:11
I can't think of prog I gave up on, some hard rock, metal bands/albums definitely. 

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 07:41
None. My first or second listen is always accurate as to how I like the album.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 08:07
Marillion's first three albums, after a while I could not listen to them anymore and lost total interest in the band. Same with Gray Lady down, after a few listenings, I could not bear the singer (not a very good vocalist). Echolyn is another band that got too boring, though their music is quite eclectic, but after a while all the songs follow the same pattern, so I could not enjoy the music anymore.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 08:16
I have a hard time now listening to the early Eloy albums Inside - Floating - Power and the Passion; particularly the first two I had loved to bits as a teenager.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 08:21
First ones that spring to mind are Pink Floyd's The Wall & The Final Cut, I was a bit of a Floyd fanatic when they came out but those two in particular aren't to my tastes any more.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 08:50
Genesis - Nursery Cryme & Trespass

Almost all albums grow on me somewhat but those two just get worse with time

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 09:21
There are very few prog albums that I no longer enjoy in some capacity.
However these three are the exception to that rule.
And then there were three. It was the beginning of if not quite the end then certainly on my behalf a lesser interest in the band.
The Wall. An album that I was never overly fond of and now never play at all.
The Final Cut. An album I played to death when it came out and now I really dont.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 09:30
Brain Salad Surgery - i was razzle dazzled by the musicianship and dramatic pacing of the songs, but over time it just started to feel too busy and noisy. Some of those crazy synth noises just grate on me now (e.g. Toccata, KE9 3rd Impr.)

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: ginodi
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 09:53
I can't think of a single one. Most of those listed I still hold in high esteem. 

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 10:10
Styx - The only album by them that I still love is "The Grand Illusion".  I used to consider them one of my favorite bands, but now I find most of their music a bit self-aggrandizing.

Electric Light Orchestra - I used to love the pop of "Face the Music", "A New World's Record" and so on, but now I can't stand them.  The only ELO albums I still appreciate are their first two.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 11:04
Hi,

Weird ... very strange stuff ... I may not look at a lot of music as a teenager would and "fall in love" the same minute kind of thing, but I simply can not list you an album I heard that I lost interest in. Many things years ago, did not "click" but I never lost sight of them ... things like The Third Ear Band ... but it does not mean that they are the merde of music because I had no interest in it 40 years ago, despite its music being ... not very well used ... in a movie, which kinda distorted things for me. And they have become great. 

They are all different "people" and come from different directions, and to say that they don't have it is not nice, and is simply a misinterpretation of who they are and their work.

The human spirit goes a long way to try and do something, and even if it is not your cup of tea, disliking it, is a lack of appreciation for the spirit that involves creative in us all ... you might as well tell your 3 year old child that he/she is stupid when they see a little keyboard and pound on it ... that's horrible music! 

Some of these threads are so far and away from the appreciation of the art itself, that it is scary ... for crying out loud, some composers of classical music are not my cup of tea, but I'm not going to sit here and say that I lost interest and that the music suxx ... like Mozart ... or Beethoven ... the whole idea is just sad, and here we are ... SUPPOSEDLY FOLKS THAT APPRECIATE PROGRESSIVE MUSIC ... AND ITS STEPS INTO THE UNKNOWN ... and the best we can do is talk about a band we lost interest in!

One last thing ... people are all different sizes, colors and shapes ... and so is music and all the arts ... and it is strange to me to see some of these posts ... and very sad ... here we are ... supposedly a more PROGRESSIVE" kind of listener, and we post and talk like a top ten fan.

I bet that you get this feeling, because most folks did not LISTEN to anything properly, to learn and find out what the artist was all about ... just picked a wee bit here and there ... and then wonder why they never understood or cared for the album ... 50 years later.

I might not care for much of PF any more ... heard too much of it ... but it doesn't mean I won't cry when one of my favorite drummers falls away ... will cry as much as when Rich passed away ... but none of their music has EVER sounded different 50 years later ... NONE.

Get Ce-Real!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 12:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Styx - The only album by them that I still love is "The Grand Illusion".  I used to consider them one of my favorite bands, but now I find most of their music a bit self-aggrandizing.

Electric Light Orchestra - I used to love the pop of "Face the Music", "A New World's Record" and so on, but now I can't stand them.  The only ELO albums I still appreciate are their first two.

Styx and Kansas were the bands that got me into prog, still adore Kansas, these days for Styx I only really ever (rarely at that) come back to Pieces of Eight and The Mission.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Weird ...

Get Ce-Real!

Authentic frontier gibberishClap

-------------
Ian

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 12:56
Was never a huge Styx fan but I did have a couple of their albums from when they were released. I'm sure its been 20 years since I spun any of them.  Im a huge PF fan, and loved the Wall and The Final Cut, but I really have to be in the mood to listen to them now.  When the feeling strikes they are still great but its rare that I play them.  

PG led Genesis when he gets too wordy doesn't sit well anymore but its still great music.  Most everything that I thought was great has stayed that way for me, although I don't always have they same desire to hear them as often.  

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 13:08
 I have gone back and forth on numerous albums and artists over the years. For example, I burned out on Bowie in the late 80s - he was everywhere and his newer material was not holding up well. That changed about ten years ago. I have a difficult time getting rid of albums because almost every time I do, I want to listen to them within a year or two.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 16 2020 at 17:51
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

First ones that spring to mind are Pink Floyd's The Wall & The Final Cut, I was a bit of a Floyd fanatic when they came out but those two in particular aren't to my tastes any more.

Floyd in general suffered from over play by people around me. But I still liked them, even The Wall. It was when I heard The Final Cut, which really seemed like a rehash of The Wall, that I really came to the realization of what a huge self-indulgent pity party Roger Waters was throwing for himself.

Dream Theater in general has not aged well at all for me. I was an early adopter. But around 1997, which coincided with the internet becoming an actual usable thing, I started finding more sources of progressive rock and metal, DT's music really started feeling like a place holder. Images and Words had 4 tracks I really enjoyed. Awake 2. So both of those albums really un-grew on me. 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 00:14

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Weird ...

Get Ce-Real!

Authentic frontier gibberishClap

LOL

I've been trying for years to understand the guy LOL

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 00:27
All albums have flaws and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

If I liked an album initially then it's pretty rare for me to press 'reject' all of a sudden. Selling England By The Pound doesn't appear as 'magical' as when I started to listen to it about 30 years ago but its still worth a listen occasionally.

The Wall is getting a lot of mentions and that's understandable . It was once very important to me but I hardly listen to it now. Too 'operatic' maybe.

ELP - Tarkus is the album that got me into prog but I hardly listen to it now. Side One is a bit bland and very unexciting compared to the stonking live version. Side Two has a mix of stuff but it doesn't really gel. There is plenty of ELP I enjoy but basically the first 3 albums don't quite do it for me nowadays so I tend to concentrate on the Trilogy/Brain Salad Surgery period. It's such a shame they didn't continue in this vein for a another album or tow but none of them had any real desire to do so it seems.

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 01:50

Pretty much anything in Neo-Prog and Prog Metal. Impressed me for a while, but just does not have the staying power of the classics.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 02:52
Dream Theater, in its entirety, as a band, catalog, and entity.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 06:07
I'm not bold enough to mention any prog bands because i've found prog to be a revolving door thats pending on my own emotional state of mind at the time . I've taken the time to read everybody's comments and I agree these are good examples but it works this way for me for example yesterday I might not enjoy something as much as tomorrow I will pending on my emotional state and connection. This is why I'm not big on writing reviews are rating albums as well because I`m always changing my mind especially with prog, When an album makes a huge impression on me I remember back to those times and reflect upon them , Script For A jester's Tear by Marillion comes to mind, I don't get the same blown away experience but it's earned its place on the top shelf from my reflecting on how much I use to love it. I hope that makes some sense I know what I mean but it's hard to put into words. Prog for me is an ever revolving door related by the chapters in my own life and what I`m going through at the time Tongue 

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 06:21
Not anything prog, but I was heavily into Led Zepp in my early twenties, and listening to their albums now is definitely underwhelming. 

Not saying they're bad, not at all, but I don't get the excitement I used to get from their music anymore.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 07:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

All albums have flaws and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

If I liked an album initially then it's pretty rare for me to press 'reject' all of a sudden. Selling England By The Pound doesn't appear as 'magical' as when I started to listen to it about 30 years ago but its still worth a listen occasionally.

The Wall is getting a lot of mentions and that's understandable . It was once very important to me but I hardly listen to it now. Too 'operatic' maybe.

ELP - Tarkus is the album that got me into prog but I hardly listen to it now. Side One is a bit bland and very unexciting compared to the stonking live version. Side Two has a mix of stuff but it doesn't really gel. There is plenty of ELP I enjoy but basically the first 3 albums don't quite do it for me nowadays so I tend to concentrate on the Trilogy/Brain Salad Surgery period. It's such a shame they didn't continue in this vein for a another album or tow but none of them had any real desire to do so it seems.

I guess it can depend upon what one means by flaws. I'm not convinced that all albums are inherently flawed, but it's the little imperfections that can make an album feel more special, unique, and personal to me. That's a reason why I often like lives -- it's not so sanitised, clean or seemingly over-produced. I can think of various albums/recordings that got it right for me.

To me my 1962 von Karajan conducted recording of Beethoven's 9th is perfection. It might well be flawed to a bigger audiophile than me.

Sometimes I went off albums simply because I overplayed them or my tastes changed direction. There are many films I loved that also lost their lustre after repeat viewings. I know them so well and in watching them again they seem not to reveal anything new to me.

I used to love Gentle Giant's Free Hand, but that's not an album I feel like returning to, and haven't wanted to listen to it in well over a decade. I used to love ELP's Trilogy, but the last time I tried it I just couldn't get through it.

The Wall is one that I think will always be special to me, even if I rarely feel like returning to it now. I don't have the issues with it that some do. I would not wish to lose a single track from it.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 17 2020 at 08:00

I'm in the opposite side. I didn't like The Final Cut initially, but now is one of the Floyd albums that I spin more, especially after a live performance by Pink Floyd Legend, a good cover band.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 07:37
No Prog LP's come to mind but I enjoyed every Red Hot Chili Peppers album for a spin or two...

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:17
For me I think it may be more of a 'how many times I've listed to it' kinda thing (i.e. overexposure). I'm not sure I like the music any less, just that it's so ingrained in my brain that I can hear the whole thing before it hits the platter. Like 'Grumpyprogfan' mentioned, I pretty much know if I like something after a very few listens.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:26
^ I think it's one thing to be sick of something after tons of great listens and being overly familiar with it, that is a common occurrence for me. I think this thread is mostly targeted towards albums that you liked right away, but perhaps repeated listens never matched that initial excitement or maybe things you really don't like stood out more and you quickily tired of it... hard to specifically say what I mean but you get the jist...

-------------

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:28
Around 2001 to 2005 I tried to get into bands such as The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand and The Raveonettes who were praised by almost everyone at the time. I sort of kept saying to myself that it was good, but I gradually gave up on them. I don't listen to these things anymore, and I really don't think they are interesting.

The opposition: It took me very long time to learn to appreciate Kraftwerk. I guess I must have had some built-in reservations because of all the electronics, but now I really love it.

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Not anything prog, but I was heavily into Led Zepp in my early twenties, and listening to their albums now is definitely underwhelming. 

Not saying they're bad, not at all, but I don't get the excitement I used to get from their music anymore.

I feel very much the same (perhaps with the exception of Led Zeppelin II which I still really enjoy). I also suspect rock critics of overrating them mindlessly, describing them as the band of the 1970's. I can think of many 70's artists who are much more interesting from an artistic point of view.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:45
Eh? Who put SEBTP? No one got fed up with DSOTM yet? WHY FOOKIN NOT!!!!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

nobody
I rarely listen to it myself, I overplayed it at some point. I still think it's a great album so just relax... Big smileLOL

Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 11:21
Funny enough^ DSOTM and to a lesser degree Meddle are the only Floyd albums that actually do anything for me anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

nobody
I rarely listen to it myself, I overplayed it at some point. I still think it's a great album so just relax... Big smileLOL

I rarely listen to DSOTM any more due to overplay but I don't actively cringe if it comes up on shuffle.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 12:43

nobody

I rarely listen to DSOTM any more due to overplay but I don't actively cringe if it comes up on shuffle.

I was referring to SETB. 
DSOTM is great, I've never grown tired of it. 

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 16:36
I sometimes find that some albums I lose interest in tend to occur after I have discovered a lot of other better stuff (or what I think is better at that specific time). Sometimes I go back to those albums I lost interest with and they click with me again. It's sort of like my interest travels in waves, like superimposed sine curves. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 18:50
I actually have a hard time thinking of albums that fall into this category. Usually, if anything, it's the other way around and albums grow on me over time. However, one that does spring to mind for me is "Banks of Eden" by the Flower Kings. The first time I heard it I thought it was great but the second time I didn't think that much of it. I liked it better than the follow up but I think with both albums the bonus disc was better than the proper album. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 18 2020 at 23:31

I was fed up with when I first heard it! It has no 'mystical' appeal that SEBTP has. My feelings will never change towards DSOTM as it has no hidden secrets whereas clearly SEBTP has tons more going on. If your feelings CAN change towards something then generally that means its NOT bland!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 01:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I was fed up with when I first heard it! It has no 'mystical' appeal that SEBTP has. My feelings will never change towards DSOTM as it has no hidden secrets whereas clearly SEBTP has tons more going on. If your feelings CAN change towards something then generally that means its NOT bland!

nobody

Ah, http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114220&PN=1" rel="nofollow - Dark Side of The Moon ...

Wink Cool

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 02:17
Tangerine Dream - Zeit. When I came across this 2LP at a fair in the early-90’s, I looked forward in anticipated glory (it was the last album I managed to acquire of theirs at the time - come to think, I never got any more - my 21st LP from them). It was pretty amazing for some time, now when I spin it on the odd occasion, it seems like 80 minutes of my life I won’t get back. Yet Klaus Schulze - Cyborg, acquired not so long afterwards, is the opposite now - AMAZING.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 08:58
When I first discovered neo-prog in the '80s, I got into Marillion, Pendragon and to a lesser degree, IQ. I still like both incarnations of Marillion, and enjoy IQ's recent albums, but I can't stand Pendragon anymore, too cheesy, vocals and music. If I ever hear "Good As Gold" again, I'll be ill.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 09:04
One of the advantages of having a large music collection is that there is always something to listen to without having to overplay anything. I try hard not to overplay my favorites so as not to kill the magic. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite groups, same with King Crimson, but I'll sometimes go years without listening to them. Then I'll pull them all out and go on a listening spree and the magic is still there. Neil Young is another that I'll sometimes go 5-6 years without playing, then go on a weeklong Neil Young kick, listening to all his albums from first to last.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

One of the advantages of having a large music collection is that there is always something to listen to without having to overplay anything. I try hard not to overplay my favorites so as not to kill the magic. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite groups, same with King Crimson, but I'll sometimes go years without listening to them. Then I'll pull them all out and go on a listening spree and the magic is still there. Neil Young is another that I'll sometimes go 5-6 years without playing, then go on a weeklong Neil Young kick, listening to all his albums from first to last.

This is the way to do it

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:46
^ Aye...it will take me a while just to get thru the CDs bought in lock down with a smart phone...then I can start on my backlog...but I find it's better not to play a new CD after listening to a classic fave....

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:51
Honestly, right now i'm experiencing a bit of a prog burn-out which is a first for me. Albums I generally really enjoy have been boring me to tears, it's very strange but I know I just need a break and it'll all sound fresh in some number of weeks. I've been listening to a lot of Baroque Pop and Jazz however and that has filled that gap :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 00:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Tangerine Dream - Zeit. When I came across this 2LP at a fair in the early-90’s, I looked forward in anticipated glory (it was the last album I managed to acquire of theirs at the time - come to think, I never got any more - my 21st LP from them). It was pretty amazing for some time, now when I spin it on the odd occasion, it seems like 80 minutes of my life I won’t get back. Yet Klaus Schulze - Cyborg, acquired not so long afterwards, is the opposite now - AMAZING.

There has been a bunch of TD that isn't as important to me as it was in my younger days, but this album isn't it.  I got this as part of the In the Beginning box set in the mid eighties and I have always held this album in high regard. But now when I just want to put on the headphones and escape, I reach for this album often.  Listened to it three times in the past two weeks, end to end.  There is the opportunity for carving out the time needed to this now with the covid-19 restrictions.  Zeit helps to escape.  

Zeit is definitely a polarizing album and I always get a chuckle when I think of a review that I ran across years ago.  The guy said that Zeit sounded like listening to multiple fans in your refrigerator running at once!  To each their own.  

I am not the biggest KS fan but now I'm going to check Cyborg out.  

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 00:58
^ My fridge does NOT sound like VCS3 synthi twittering ha ha.
ZEIT is my least favourite TD from the 70’s.
Cool for you to check out Cyborg. I am nuts about Klaus.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 02:52

Haha, for me it's the exact opposite with Zeit. When I got it, I was definitely too young for it and couldn't make sense of it (though already being TD fan for what came later). I came back to it about 10 years ago and now I think what a uniquely fascinating black hole of an album that is.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 04:25

Recently had the same experience. Zeit has its own magical charm, but Cyborg is much more rewarding (especially the second LP).

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 04:57
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Recently had the same experience. Zeit has its own magical charm, but Cyborg is much more rewarding (especially the second LP).
Yes !! Especially Neuronengesang - with the Farfisa organ like Rick Wright. Tasty.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 07:31
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Zeit is definitely a polarizing album and I always get a chuckle when I think of a review that I ran across years ago.  The guy said that Zeit sounded like listening to multiple fans in your refrigerator running at once!  To each their own.  

Hi,

And I would post that the guy that wrote that needs to find himself another job and forget talking about music, when he does not even listen to it!

It was the same thing way back when, at a time when someone (I think it was Rolling sh*tone) that has a review that TD sounded like washing machines ... and no one that I know of, other than Guy Guden, Paul,  myself and a handful of folks that heard Space Pirate Radio, ever worried about that ... and washing machines were played, of course, to show the difference, and then probably a funny bit with some really early Guru Guru, so it was all metalized, and ... to clean my shorts!

I get really tired with those folks ideas about music, which is not music at all ... it's just notes! 

We, specially at PA, need to stand up to that crap a lot more ... the music is what is important! 

PS: With only one problem ... now I will have to review a FAUST album ... and I will be in trouble! Wink
PS2: Quite a few of those folks still listening to new music at Space Pirate Radio, now on Twitch.TV ... so progressive and so many variants in music that just about no one here can handle it! Still the most experimental show of all ... and "progressive" shows are just showing how many cigarettes make them an adult!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 00:17
I played Avalon for the first time in ages the other day and found it very ordinary. Not at all the way I remembered it back in the eighties as I always regarded it as very refined pop for that period. Kate Bush, Asia, U2 and Talking Heads far superior. Brian Eno is a superb producer. Every album he touches improves. The early Roxy Music albums however are still very good.

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 02:46
Avalon? Roxy music is wimmin knicker dampening music is it not? I have too much REAL-PROG to bother with them....eddie jobson and phil manzanera wasted their talent in that band...Jobson should have rivalled wakeman n Emerson...too busy shagging groupies tho...

-------------

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 04:09
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound. I used to love it but now I find it meh and IMO Peter Gabriel's vocals on the album are sub par. Unpopular opinion, I know.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: ssmarcus
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 06:24
Not prog but Joe Satriani's stuff and Rage Against the Machine have all grown stale on me. In the case of Joe, I kind of feel bad about it. Like there are definitely still songs I adore but for the most part, as my interests in prog developed, I can feel that both of those acts are not particularly creative or original on a regular basis. 

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 08:33

As another Floyd fanatic, I tend to agree. Both albums suffer from what I call 'lack of Rick'.  'The Wall' is too long and rambling - if you separated the wheat from the chaff there is probably a first rate single album there.  I tend to find 'The Final Cut' more satisfying, even tho it is arguably a Waters solo album, supported by Dave & Nick.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: Deadwing
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 08:44
Same to me for The Wall.
Gotta somewhat agree with Dream Theater. Although Train of Thought and Distance Over Time are my favorite discs from them now LOL

Posted By: DarksideofCollages
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:24
For those that have been a fan for the past 35 years! those albums comes back to you! just give it a rest!! and watch!! how you will like to listen to them again!!! It might take a while or years but it will defiantly will!!!
There are thousands and thousands of albums and bands in the prog world and even in rock in general that you can listen to. So why  listening to the same albums over and over????
specially these days? if you were born in the 50, 60 or 70s it is a different ball game as it was not easy to have access to listen to many different albums as today you have spotify, itunes or yourtube. you know what I mean?
Embarrassed

-------------
https://darksideofabel.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:26
I love pink Floyd to Death! but spends months without listening any of their albums as I had listen to the albums thousands of times!!! but I still love Mighty Floyd.

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:37

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

This is the way to do it
exactly!!!!!!! my point!!!!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 16:22

Cuz its about the best album out there.  Never got tired of it. IMHO

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 20:07
Selling England by the Pound and Tales of Topographical Oceans were two that I loved when they came out (though never liked "The Battle of Epping Forest" and it took me a while to love "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight") but I have to psych myself into listening to today. 

Also, any/all of Peter Gabriel's solo albums after the first one. While I loved them when they came out, I've soured on all of them--'cept that first one. I LOVE the first one.

Also, Wish You Were Here--loved it as a kid, hate it now.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 20:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Selling England by the Pound and Tales of Topographical Oceans were two that I loved when they came out (though never liked "The Battle of Epping Forest" and it took me a while to love "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight") but I have to psych myself into listening to today. 

Also, any/all of Peter Gabriel's solo albums after the first one. While I loved them when they came out, I've soured on all of them--'cept that first one. I LOVE the first one.

Also, Wish You Were Here--loved it as a kid, hate it now.

Would you attribute that more to burnout? There are many albums like Dark Side of the Moon which i still love but rarely listen to because i've just heard them way too many times but when i do the magic is still there.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 08:54
I thought of another one for me and that is Point of Know Return by Kansas(thanks to the Kansas poll for reminding me). It's certainly not a bad album but the last time I listened to it it didn't have that excitement that it used to. I think some albums suffer from the law of diminishing returns more than others and just don't sound as good with repeated listens. I don't think this would happen with leftoverture but I should play it again soon to find out.

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 01:40
Unlike movies with a twist (once seen, the twist is known so a review is pointless)...Classics like TFTO actually mature like a good cheese. When I was young n daft I think that I almost liked Duke even tho I listened to some terrible stuff like Napalm Death, Slayer and Venom...mind you if I wanted summat to annoy my wife...😂

-------------

Posted By: Rrattlesnake
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:27
Neurosis were good, but the Steve Albini-produced albums sent me into a downward spiral after a few listens. Can't listen to anything past TSIB now.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:33
The more times I hear Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge album, the less I like it, especially when it's compared with the far superior Tubular Bells and Ommadawn. Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk