Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123089
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 14:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: K.A. vs. Eros
Posted By: Lewian
Subject: K.A. vs. Eros
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 07:59
These two are ranked 2 and 3 in the Zeuhl category, K.A. slightly higher.  Without any doubt these are strong albums, but in my books Eros is the far more exciting, forward looking album, whereas K.A. is just "Magma do their thing and they do it well". Which of course implies high quality anyway.

What do you think? Make your case for any of these albums!
If you think you can't decide, write why you love them both - I leave out the "both" option just to annoy you, but still tell us what you think.

Replies:
Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 08:09
Eros is great from start to finish, whereas I find myself only listening to K.A. in pieces, so my vote definitely goes to Eros.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 08:09
K.A. gets my vote. I really love the music on this albums, and it flows perfectly well. Eros is also quite good, but I tend to listen to K.A. more often.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 08:32
As much as I am a Magma fan Eros is my no.1 prog album. It's much more unique and exciting to my ears.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 08:41
I'm with Sagichim. I love Magma but that Dun album is something special and is much more spectacular than KA because it was something completely new while Magma was just recycling old ideas.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 12:51
KA

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 13:53
K.A. Magma gets my vote

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 14:58
Eros is a good album, but K.A. is Magma's best save one.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 16:07
Eros for me, KA is another great Magma album whereas Eros is standalone genius.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 16:16
By the way I wonder about the Zeuhl category for Eros. It doesn't sound closer to Magma to me than to some RIO or even adventurous jazz rock/fusion. Do you think it belongs to Zeuhl?

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 16:27
Sounds zeuhl to me with that bass.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 16:28
Two fantastic albums, though I’ll cast my vote for Eros, if only for the fact that K.A has the hallelujah chorus later in the piece which annoys me.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 27 2020 at 21:53
K.A

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

K.A has the hallelujah chorus later in the piece which annoys me.

Yeah, that section annoys me as well. Also, except for the section containing the guitar solo, which I love, I think K.A.II is boring.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

By the way I wonder about the Zeuhl category for Eros. It doesn't sound closer to Magma to me than to some RIO or even adventurous jazz rock/fusion. Do you think it belongs to Zeuhl?

It doesn't sound like Zeuhl to me.

-------------

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 12:58

Two fantastic albums, though I’ll cast my vote for Eros, if only for the fact that K.A has the hallelujah chorus later in the piece which annoys me.

I love that part… It all builds up to that piece.  When they get on it, they really lay it down, it’s amazing.

Don’t mean to annoy you, but  Big smile

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 13:02
I've got to say, the polls by BrufordFreak where both of these albums appeared among the best of the 80s/90s, 2000s respectively, made me relisten to them and ultimately inspired this poll. And although I stand by what I wrote in the first posting, also K.A. is mightily mightily good, be it standard Magma fare or not.

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 14:27
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

K.A has the hallelujah chorus later in the piece which annoys me.

Yeah, that section annoys me as well. Also, except for the section containing the guitar solo, which I love, I think K.A.II is boring.

My favourite section is the synth solo over the 7/8 groove.

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 14:30
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

<p ="Msonormal">I love that part… It all builds up to that piece.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>When they get on it, they really lay it down,
it’s amazing.<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">Don’t mean to annoy you, but  Big smile<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">

i get the intense tension and release vibe of it all, I just don’t like the word ‘hallelujah’. Never have.

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 14:33
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

It doesn't sound like Zeuhl to me.

Eros may be 60% Zeuhl, 40% R.I.O.. There’s sometimes a fine line between the 2 genres in certain acts.

Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 15:34
Antoine P has a fantastic voice.   Isabelle Fuellebois (spelling is way off) is cute. Chritian V is out-f**king-standing !!

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: May 28 2020 at 17:53

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

<p ="Msonormal">I love that part… It all builds up to that piece.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>When they get on it, they really lay it down,
it’s amazing.<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">Don’t mean to annoy you, but  Big smile<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">

i get the intense tension and release vibe of it all, I just don’t like the word ‘hallelujah’. Never have.

I think it's a worthy fit for a concept of a spiritual quest.  Besides, who doesn't like a joyous celebration?

Hallelujah doesn't have to be an expression of praise or worship if that puts one off.  It can be articulated as rejoicing, a euphoric jubilation.  That's what that piece instills in me.

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: May 29 2020 at 17:08

Hi Lewian!

Voted Eros, and in my opinion Dun belongs to Zeuhl listening two factors,  the rhythmic section and the structure of the songs, Dun is a unique band.

Sorry for my english!

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 09:53
Never connected to Eros escept song, "Arrakis" but K.A. blew me away from first listen and still does to this day. To my mind, the best Zeuhl albums of the 21st Century are:

MAGMA K.A. (2004)

JANNICK TOP Infernal Machina (2008)

SETNA Guérison (2013)

GA'AN Ga'an (2009)

CAMEMBERT Negative Toe (2017)

MAGMA Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré (2009)

VAK Budo (2018)

UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA The Magus (2008)

KOENJIHYAKKEI Angherr Shisspa (2005)

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:58
Infernal Machina is a monster of an album!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk