Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123119
Printed Date: May 24 2024 at 15:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Song of the week
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: Song of the week
Date Posted: June 01 2020 at 08:52
The idea for this thread came from dougmcauliffe. Every week a song from a lesser known artist will be posted and discussed. Do you like it? Why or why not, etc. Hoping this will bring newer bands exposure. I would like to do the first three weeks, then forum members can submit.

The rules
1. No song earlier than the year 2000.
2. All bands discussed continually on PA are excluded.
3. The song picked can be from any musical genre.

Marco Minnemann - White Sheets

Replies:
Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 04:56
Not one response? Y'all are lame.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 06:17
Well  you are impatient... night and then working time in Europe.
Anyway, it's a great idea for a series, I like it.

Very good song overall, has a number of parts that I really dig, obviously awesome playing, as you'd expect from Minnemann (actually Minnemann was discussed quite a bit on PA in the last half year or so). Two slight negatives: a) has a certain show-off factor, some bits seem not to be there for musicality but for showing virtuosity, b) The singing, while not bad, isn't overly attractive either. 4 stars.

Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 06:45
Thanks for your comments and I hope the series continues. All depends on the amount of feedback from forum members.

It was me that sparked all the Minnemann discussions the last few months. I suggested his inclusion on PA. His solo material, for me, is better than the other bands he plays with. Very unique and eclectic music.

I like the female voice, but Marco doubled it up with his voice. Agree that Marco's vocals are not great, but they fit the music. I don't like the distortion effect he uses to cover up his voice.

The show off factor I don't agree with...that is how he writes some of his music. He has 19 solo records with plenty of non show-off songs.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 06:59
it's a good idea for a thread,although I think seven days to comment on a song is rather long time, I could be wrong. Smile

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 08:14
It's a 3 star rating from me. Quite arty, free-form, jazzy and funky with some nice improvisation. Marco shows his great abilities, although he could be drumming to any other musical accompaniment, to be fair. I don't take to the sassy, urban vocals at all, but the instrumental second half has a dreamy, hypnotic flow to it, which grew on me.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 08:58
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The show off factor I don't agree with...that is how he writes some of his music. He has 19 solo records with plenty of non show-off songs.

Maybe show off factor is the wrong way of describing it. I shouldn't accuse him of showing off, I don't think he intends to do that. I think he plays some stuff because he loves playing such things, and it's great seeing him having fun doing it. But not all of it necessarily serves the composition. Well not for me at least, of course it's taste and we don't have to agree.

Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

it's a good idea for a thread,although I think seven days to comment on a song is rather long time, I could be wrong. Smile
In one day had only two comments. You didn't comment on the song.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 02 2020 at 09:10

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

In one day had only two comments. You didn't comment on the song.

song is ok, nice drumming, good for a listen for me. 

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:05
This thread deserves some more postings.

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:32
It's obvious most members don't want to expand their musical boundaries. I tried.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 15:49
Sorry it didn't take off - one song a week to review wasn't too much of a commitment. C'est la Vie!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:13
Here's one of my current favourites.....

WEYES BLOOD - Movies (2019)

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:30
^ "Wild Time", from the same album, was my song of the week for a few weeks recently.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ "Wild Time", from the same album, was my song of the week for a few weeks recently.
I can't wait to rush out and buy Weyes Blood's latest album "Titanic Rising" (2019) as soon as the record stores re-open again, having already bought her previous two albums. I have a sinking feeling that they may not have "Titanic Rising" in stock though. Smile

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 09:45

The idea for this thread came from dougmcauliffe. Every week a song from a lesser known artist will be posted and discussed. Do you like it? Why or why not, etc. Hoping this will bring newer bands exposure. I would like to do the first three weeks, then forum members can submit.

The rules
1. No song earlier than the year 2000.
2. All bands discussed continually on PA are excluded.
3. The song picked can be from any musical genre.

Marco Minnemann - White Sheets

I don't know how I missed this. This is a wonderful idea in order to keep ideas fresh and expand musical horizons. I have two suggestions for consideration. (1) Should it be expanded to album? (2) Should there be one song/album per subgenre? The reason behind suggestion (1) is that we might miss out on the variety of material provided by an artist, so that they might get pigeonholed based on one particular song. That might especially be problematic in the Eclectic category. The reason behind suggestion (2) is that some people might not like certain subgenres, or favor particular ones over others.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 10:43
Thanks for your positive comment Jaketejas. If members can't listen to one song what is the reality of an entire album? I am beyond frustrated in trying, numerous times, to discuss new music and bands on PA. So tired of talking about the same thing endlessly on these forums. When I try to breathe new life it usually ends quickly.

However, feel free to use your suggestions and start your own thread. I would participate.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 11:23
^^ Don't get too downhearted, GrumpyProgFan. Your almost overlooked "Song of the Week" thread appears to have taken on a new lease of life. Smile

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 12:24
How about Crumbling Castle by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard? One of my favorite modern prog tunes.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 12:42
First time seeing this thread. Why not from before 2000? That elminates almost all of the songs I would post. :P Maybe one reason this thread didn't "take off" was because of your time restrictions.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 12:52
I'm not as keen on this idea as with, say, the interactive poll series as a way of discovering new music. I'd bee too impatient for my own turn to post something to be honest. By the way, I have tried to do many topics that would facilitate discovering music and listening to and commenting on each others topics and none have worked as well as I hoped.

As for the song of that week, Marco Minnemann's White Sheets, even though we are long past that week, I'm not into it. I have heard some other stuff by him before, as well as that song in the German drumming poll, and it seems he's not for me (at least at this time). Part of why I am not feeling it is because it doesn't feel organic, but instead a show boat for his drumming -- like the video implies (just him drumming), it is like he is drumming with the music in the background (even though the layering is not done that way), but it gives it something of a karaoke feel. If we saw him playing with the band I might appreciate it a little more, but I still wouldn't like the music. It sounds vanilla to me, too mainstream in a way, lacking nuance, contrasts and subtlety or surprise, but I guess it is just resonating with me for some reason.

Edited to make my post more in line with how I had hoped to express myself when I went to write my post.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:27
Sorry that song wasn't to your specs, Logan. Marco's music is far from vanilla. Try another tune, perhaps?

No need to scold me about a previous poll and crap on this idea.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:50
This almost forgotten thread now seems to have developed "Legs"  It's gone from the AA Bottom to the ZZ Top of the new forum posts. Smile

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 14:55
^Nowhere to go now.

Poll closed.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:09

Sorry that song wasn't to your specs, Logan. Marco's music is far from vanilla. Try another tune, perhaps?

No need to scold me about a previous poll and crap on this idea.

It’s not my taste, which is fine. I like a lot of music that people have openly ridiculed.

I am not as diplomatic as I would like. I don’t like to see people insulted or ignored, and I hadn’t meant to insult so much as I was thinking conceptually. I think the idea could work better for me if it was done a little differently. My impatience is my deficiency. That I might have to wait a month or more to do my choice is my problem. I had thought about that issue of mentioning this track in Friede’s poll when you brought up the issue of lack of response to your choice in this topic, and then probably wisely thought better than to mention it as I wasn’t sure how to express the idea in a way that wouldn’t seem rude or patronizing, It came out much harsher than I intended.   I have wondered sometimes why people fail to be interested in checking out music that I post in various topics, even though I have thought that I showed an interest in what they posted.   Ultimately, perhaps it is because I’m kind of an a****le and a bore lacking in social grace. I do apologise for my lack of tact.   Sometime I think I should stick to my brand of absurdity, but not many people to riff off here in that way.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:16

^Nowhere to go now.

Poll closed.
By the way, ZZ Top's "Legs" wasn't my "Song of the Week" choice, but it's still a great song all the same, in a beardy Texan kind of way. Smile

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:21
I’d rename it Dregs by SnooZee Plop if I could. I honestly hate that song.

I think I may now be getting the hang of this whole diplomacy thing. ;)

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:23
You are not an a-hole, nor did you insult me, Logan. Riff anytime. You possess more tolerance, tact, and brain power than I do. We both share in the gift of being blunt. Mine is more severe than yours. Cheers

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:27
Dedicated to Paul.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I’d rename it Dregs by SnooZee Plop if I could. I honestly hate that song.

I think I may now be getting the hang of this whole diplomacy thing. ;)

I take it you're not a fan of the bearded Texan wonder boys then, where drummer Frank Beard is ironically the only member without a beard. Maybe you'd prefer the tribute band AA Bottom, where all four members have beards, even though they're rather short and tidy beards by ZZ Top standards. Smile

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 15:54
^^^ much appreciated.

^^ I love lots of Neil Young as well.

^ There is ZZ Top that I like, but that’s a song I got so sick of hearing on the radio, and I actually never liked.

This I like, for instance

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 16:01
Thanks for the "Heart of Gold" dedication by one of my all-time favourite artists whose album "Psychedelic Pill" was the inspiration for my username. Smile

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 23:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^^ much appreciated.

^^ I love lots of Neil Young as well.

^ There is ZZ Top that I like, but that’s a song I got so sick of hearing on the radio, and I actually never liked.

This I like, for instance

Really great song from the Gran Ol beard men!!!!

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 23:13
I see. Well, in that case, let’s give it a shot. What day will the song be posted so I can start fresh?

Thanks!

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 00:07
I have now listened both new pieces Grumpy & Paul put here, both are not bad, but not my beef at all. There is new music I really love and could put here, but when I have mentioned those bands in PA, there has come very little or not at all response. Specially Finnish bands seems to interest very little people (I know there are few fans of Finnish prog in PA). So I think for me to put some new song here is just waste of time, also listening new stuff from Grumpy or Paul, just because we have so different music tastes.

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 00:09
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I see. Well, in that case, let’s give it a shot. What day will the song be posted so I can start fresh?

Thanks!
Begin a new thread whenever you want. This one is closed. Call it "Song of the Week #2".

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I have now listened both new pieces Grumpy & Paul put here, both are not bad, but not my beef at all. There is new music I really love and could put here, but when I have mentioned those bands in PA, there has come very little or not at all response. Specially Finnish bands seems to interest very little people (I know there are few fans of Finnish prog in PA). So I think for me to put some new song here is just waste of time, also listening new stuff from Grumpy or Paul, just because we have so different music tastes.

Go for it! Put “Song of the Week #2” as the thread like Grumpy said, and we’ll take a gander at it. My problem is that I don’t listen to a whole lot of music beyond 1989, let alone 2000, mainly because I don’t understand a lot of it. But, I can lend you my ears and keep an open mind. I usually try to find at least some positive aspects in music of any genre, but like anyone I do have my faves. I generally care more about composition and phrasing rather than who has the best voice, etc., (the crap you’d find on talent shows). I love how songs are put together and like variety.

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 08:52
ZZ Top! Amazing Texas blues/rock band that managed to transition into the 80s by adding keyboards no less. Funny, because that’s often an aspect of prog but no one really classifies them that way. Favorite songs: Jesus Just Left Chicago, Waitin’ for the Bus, Just Got Paid, La Grange and Sharp Dressed Man.

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:15

ZZ Top! Amazing Texas blues/rock band that managed to transition into the 80s by adding keyboards no less. Funny, because that’s often an aspect of prog but no one really classifies them that way. Favorite songs: Jesus Just Left Chicago, Waitin’ for the Bus, Just Got Paid, La Grange and Sharp Dressed Man.

Sharp Dressed Man is my ZZ Top of the Pops too! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 22:08

Go for it! Put “Song of the Week #2” as the thread like Grumpy said, and we’ll take a gander at it. My problem is that I don’t listen to a whole lot of music beyond 1989, let alone 2000, mainly because I don’t understand a lot of it. But, I can lend you my ears and keep an open mind. I usually try to find at least some positive aspects in music of any genre, but like anyone I do have my faves. I generally care more about composition and phrasing rather than who has the best voice, etc., (the crap you’d find on talent shows). I love how songs are put together and like variety.
Well, this was Grumpys thread and he closed this. So I think you should really start another thread if you want me to put something here. If you really do it, it can take me a while when I join that, got some "Summer-busy" at the moment. I am not going to start new thread, I have started all kinds of threads enough this moment.

Date Posted: June 27 2020 at 09:19

Well, this was Grumpys thread and he closed this. So I think you should really start another thread if you want me to put something here. If you really do it, it can take me a while when I join that, got some "Summer-busy" at the moment. I am not going to start new thread, I have started all kinds of threads enough this moment.

I’m kind of in the same boat. Maybe we should try the interactive polls, although I’m not sure how they work to be quite honest. I see a bunch of letters there arranged in a vertical pattern and it seems like a cross between some sort of Prog Sudoku and Music Pub Trivia. Can someone please explain it to me in simple terms?

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Sharp Dressed Man is my ZZ Top of the Pops too! Thumbs Up

Clap Chris Evans played that on his Virgin Radio breakfast show on Friday morning along with Zep's Black Dog and also this great song

Date Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:19
This is my all-time favourite Billy Joel song and video.....

A Matter of Trust

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk