Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123156
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 22:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult Songs
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult Songs
Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:16
BLUE OYSTER CULT began life in New York in 1967 with a mixture of TYRANNY AND MUTATION. Having signed the SECRET TREATIES with the Columbia record label, the band became AGENTS OF FORTUNE with the success of their fourth album, which included the all-time classic "(Don't Fear) The Reaper". Blue Öyster Cult were able to put the SPECTRES of years of struggle behind them, with gleaming polished MIRRORS reflecting a bright future ahead.  There was now no danger of Blue Öyster Cult becoming extinct like the CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS dinosaur. The band were lit up and burning with success in a FIRE OF UNKOWN ORIGIN and ready to take the world by storm with a  REVOLUTION BY NIGHT down at the CLUB NINJA. IMAGINOS was a modern CULT CLASSIC album and a real return to form, but HEAVEN FORBID that Blue Öyster Cult should end their long career with the CURSE OF THE HIDDEN MIRROR. Smile 

All albums in BLUE HIGHLIGHTS by Blue Öyster Cult

This is your chance to help determine the Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult  songs of all time. Simply list your Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult songs in order of preference and then I'll assign points to your listings as follows:-

1st song - 6 points
2nd song - 4 points
3rd song - 3 points
4th song- 2 points
5th song - 1 point

Here are my Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult  songs to get the poll underway:-

1. The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria (6 points)
2. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (4 points)
3. The Marshall Plan (3 points)
4. Black Blade (2 points)
5. The Vigil (1 Point)

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:32
that's f**king evil man.... the satanic redhead of top 5 questions.. and in that spirit...I'll sleep on that one 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that's f**king evil man.... the satanic redhead of top 5 questions.. and in that spirit...I'll sleep on that one 
Don't Fear the Reaper while you sleep on it. Smile

Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 17:41
hah...after that explosion a couple of years ago I've still got 2 of my 9 lives left...  so no fearing the Reaper here..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 06:34
a top 5 huh...  hard because frankly this band was so damned good they had so many truly great songs so unlike many bands where top songs are sort of cemented I could and probably would put together a completely different top 5 list.  

1) The Red and the Black...  a worthy candidate for most badass riff in all rock.. and yeah.. Bouchard tears it up
2) The Golden Age of Leather... those harmonies are heavenly
3) Last Days of May  .. as we've talked of before..  Buck's guitar tone on this rules and is completely lost on subsequent live versions.  It has an foreboding atmosphere lost in the arena setting
4) speaking of evil...  it don't get better than this ... The Revenge of Vera Gemini
5) ME262.. intellectual garage rock at its finest and no one did that better than BOC

honerable mention... as it it is a top 5 alltime favorite.. yet .. well..
6) Hot Rails to Hell.. that surf guitar rules!!!

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:00
That's really like being asked to choose which of your children you love bestLOL! Anyway, here's mine - a rather unconventional list:

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (live version from ET Live)
2. Seven Screamin' Dizbusters
3. Divine Wind
4. The Subhuman
5. Mistress of the Salmon Salt

Simmering just below:
6. Vengeance (The Pact)
7. Monsters
8. Shadow of California
9. Last Days of May
10. The Vigil

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 07:26
1- The Vigil
2- Dominance and Submission
3- Last days in May
4- Career of Evil (that sloppy riff is divine!)
5- Veterans of Psychic Wars (live)
6- Joan Crawford
7- I love the Night
8- Godzilla
9- Burning for You
10- Transmaniacon MC

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:20
I admit to not knowing a lot of their stuff. Most of what I know is from "Fire of Unknown Origin" and a best of called "Don't fear the reaper".  And I like most of them!

so, without much regard for order because they are all very close to equal IMO, depending on my mood

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars
2. Burning for you
3. Don't Turn your back
4. In Three
5. Joan Crawford
6. Don't Fear the Reaper
7. Nosferatu
8. Godzilla
9. Vengeance
10. Career of Evil

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:13
1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (Extraterrestrial Live version)
2. Black Blade
3. Then Came the Last Days of May
4. The Vigil
5. The Old Gods Return

6. The Marshall Plan
7. Lonely Teardrops
8. Dominance and Submission (Extraterrestrial Live version)
9. Burnin' for You
10. Shadow of California

(I had "The Siege and Investiture of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria" in there, but I moved it off. This list could be at least 50% different a half-hour from now.)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:45
Astronomy
Flaming telepaths
Reaper
Burning for you
E.T.I.

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 10:52
goes to show just how much quality is there is to go that long before Astronomy was mentioned...

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:08

goes to show just how much quality is there is to go that long before Astronomy was mentioned...
There are three versions of Astronomy to choose from too. Smile

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:18
and all rule...  would have made my top 10...

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:34
Astronomy
Dominance and Submission
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Joan Crawford
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:24
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll
The Revenge of Vera Gemini
I'm On The Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep
Lips In The Hills
Don't Fear the Reaper

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:42
Yep, this is a difficult one..
Dominance and submission (Secret treaties)
The Subhuman (On your Feet or on your Knees version)
Astronomy (Some Enchanted Evening version)
ETI ( Agents of fortune or Some enchanted Evening, either..)
Black Blade (Cultisaurus erectus)

Ive gotta say that I just love BOC's version of 'We gotta get out of this place'... they did a few great covers, 'Roadhouse blues', 'Born to be wild', 'Kick out the Jams' etc

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 15:13
I'll do the first count-up of the votes as soon as we get onto Page 2. At the moment, it doesn't look as if "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is even going to make it into the Top 5, which comes as a surprise. Shocked

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'll do the first count-up of the votes as soon as we get onto Page 2. At the moment, it doesn't look as if "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is even going to make it into the Top 5, which comes as a surprise. Shocked

"(Don't Fear) the Reaper" is a fine song, but BÖC is no "singles" band. They have so many GREAT songs!!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"(Don't Fear) the Reaper" is a fine song, but BÖC is no "singles" band. They have so many GREAT songs!!
That's true. It's a pity that "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is the only Blue Oyster Cult song that ever gets played on the radio over here when they have so many great songs in their back catalogue. I've listened to all of their albums and "Imaginos" remains my all-time favourite BOC album.

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:13
^ I take it you are listening to the songs suggested here that you might not have heard.  

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:27

^ I take it you are listening to the songs suggested here that you might not have heard.  

When the votes have all come in, I'll post the videos here for the Top 5 songs, then we can all listen to them together. Smile 

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:30
dude I have heard so much BOC in the last .. well especially 15 years.. I can hear 'em in the head...the cranial IPOD...the only real need to popping the CD's in these days  is to continue destroying my hearing, the joy of knocking pictures and artwork off the wall and occasionally paying the neighbor back for his absolutely sh*tty taste in music 

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:36

dude I have heard so much BOC in the last .. well especially 15 years.. I can hear 'em in the head...the cranial IPOD...the only real need to popping the CD's in these days  is to continue destroying my hearing, the joy of knocking pictures and artwork off the wall and occasionally paying the neighbor back for his absolutely sh*tty taste in music 

Luckily, I have a neighbour who's into Prog-Rock. He told me recently his favourite band is Genesis and he's the kind of good neighbour who asks me to turn the music up and play it LOUD when I put my stereo outside in the garden. Smile

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:41
I pity you man... and thank God I don't have a neighbor into Genesis.. what this dude lacks in music he makes up for in ... lively (and loud) companionship....  so at least he has that going for him.  With Genesis fan you still get the suck.. but with no broads.. hah...

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:42
Astronomy (enchanted version)
Black Blade
Godzilla
ME262

Dominance and Submission
Last Days of May
Cities On Flame
Harvesters of Eyes
Nosferatu

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:45

I pity you man... and thank God I don't have a neighbor into Genesis.. what this dude lacks in music he makes up for in ... lively (and loud) companionship....  so at least he has that going for him.  With Genesis fan you still get the suck.. but with no broads.. hah...

I'm a Genesis fan too. I have all of their albums, up to and including Wind & Wuthering. Smile

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:49
Beer well enjoy the BOC at least

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:57

Beer well enjoy the BOC at least

Cheers! I dislike the 1980's Phil Collins Genesis probably just as much as you do. Smile

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:24
Off the top of my head:

1. "Dominance and Submission"
2. "I Love the Night"
3. "Flaming Telepaths/Astronomy"
4. "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll"
5. "Divine Wind"

(I know:  I cheated.)

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:47
Here's how the voting looks so far:-

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (24 points)
2. Astronomy (21 points) - All versions
3. Dominance and Submission (20 points)
4. Black Blade (11 points)
5. The Vigil (9 points)
5. Last Days of May (9 points)
5. Cities on Flame (9 points)

8. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (8 points)

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:52
This got me thinking how ive actually neglected to play much BOC recently so ive dug out all my vinyl lps- from the S/T first lp up to Revolution by Night.. except I cant find Mirrors (which actually I don't remember that well.. but certainly had it!) and have started playing back to back!
First up is the S/T 1st lp- i'd forgotten how much I love this lp; certainly all killer no filler only critism is that the sound is a bit distant and lacking in dynamics.. Next up Tyranny and Mutation... much more in your face sound and production.
Last time I saw BOC was a couple of days before my daughter was born so just over 31 years ago!Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 12:09
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

This got me thinking how ive actually neglected to play much BOC recently so ive dug out all my vinyl lps- from the S/T first lp up to Revolution by Night.. except I cant find Mirrors (which actually I don't remember that well.. but certainly had it!) and have started playing back to back!
First up is the S/T 1st lp- i'd forgotten how much I love this lp; certainly all killer no filler only critism is that the sound is a bit distant and lacking in dynamics.. Next up Tyranny and Mutation... much more in your face sound and production.
Last time I saw BOC was a couple of days before my daughter was born so just over 31 years ago!Shocked
Many of Blue Oyster Cult's full albums are currently available on YouTube, so I could post them underneath my Blue Oyster Cult albums poll. Smile

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:40
^ Cheers Paul; I could certainly catch up on the post 'Revolution by Night' albums.. I think it was the 'Imaginos' tour when I saw them last and I never got round to listening to the album or 'Club Ninja' that came before. I was going to see them in Bristol early last year but I think it was cancelled.. shame..

Was about to dive into 'Secret Treaties' but my mrs appeared with the hoover and informed me she'd done upstairs.. so I had to take a domestics breakShockedOuch so it will be tomorrowWink

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:27
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

^ Cheers Paul; I could certainly catch up on the post 'Revolution by Night' albums.. I think it was the 'Imaginos' tour when I saw them last and I never got round to listening to the album or 'Club Ninja' that came before. I was going to see them in Bristol early last year but I think it was cancelled.. shame..

Was about to dive into 'Secret Treaties' but my mrs appeared with the hoover and informed me she'd done upstairs.. so I had to take a domestics breakShockedOuch so it will be tomorrowWink
Luckily, the full Secret Treaties album is currently available on YouTube and it's also the winning album in my Blue Oyster Cult albums poll. Smile

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 18:37

Here's how the voting looks so far:-

Clap

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 08:04
Hmmm....to me BOC did some good singles...though they might not have thought of themselves like that....

Reaper
Telepaths
Astronomy
Cities on Flame
Fire of Unknown Origin

Transmaniacon MC
Burnin For You
Take Me Away
Old Gods Return

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 08:43
^^ There's only one BOC single that ever gets played on the radio in England and I'm glad to say you just singlehandedly propelled the song into the Top 5. Smile

1. Astronomy (24 points) - All versions
4. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (14 points)
5. Black Blade (11 points)
5. Cities on Flame (11 points)
5. Flaming Telepaths (11 points) 

8. The Vigil (9 points)
8. Last Days of May (9 points)

Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 18:23
Verslibre has kindly already posted "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", and here's the other joint winning song in the poll so far: "Astronomy" from the Imaginos album...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 23:51

^^ There's only one BOC single that ever gets played on the radio in England and I'm glad to say you just singlehandedly propelled the song into the Top 5. Smile

4. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (14 points)

8. The Vigil (9 points)

I only know 2 songs by them (number 1 and 4) . Veteran Of Psychic Wars does get played on Planet Rock Radio which Is where I heard it.

Jeremy Vine played Reaper as his first song on Radio 2 just after we went into lock downLOL

Date Posted: June 11 2020 at 00:18
^^ Jeremy Vine obviously has great taste in music, and that was an excellent choice of song in the current climate of fear of death from a killer virus. Smile

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: June 11 2020 at 08:36
1. Don't Fear the Reaper
2. ETI
3. Nosferatu
4. Searchin' for Celine
5. The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 08:10
Top 5 update:-

3. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (20 points)

8. The Vigil (9 points)

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 16:18
I haven't voted in this poll, because it seems an insurmountable task to narrow my favourite BOC songs down to a top 5, and rank them in order.

I don't expect this to be counted, but here a few BOC songs I love, which don't seem to be represented.

Les Invisibles   (Imaginos)
Baby Ice Dog (Tyranny and Mutation)
Cagey Cretins (Secret Treaties)
Redeemed (BOC)
Stairway to the Stars (BOC)
She's as Beautiful as a Foot (BOC)
Wings Wetted Down (T&M)
Magna of Illusion (Imaginos)
Shooting Shark (Revolution By Night)
Shadow Of California (  "   "   "    ")
Lips in the Hills (Cultosaurus Erectus)

'Being chased around by the neighbor's cat
But it's so lonely in the state of Maine'

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 16:38

8. The Vigil (9 points)

Veteran of the Psychic Wars is vastly overrated if it's coming in at equal first place. It's dumbed-down compared to their early stuff.

-------------

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 16:45
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men ...

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:13
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

I haven't voted in this poll, because it seems an insurmountable task to narrow my favourite BOC songs down to a top 5, and rank them in order.

On the other hand, I would have struggled to pick a BOC Top 10 and then rank the songs in order. Smile

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:16

Veteran of the Psychic Wars is vastly overrated if it's coming in at equal first place. It's dumbed-down compared to their early stuff.
I never expected Veteran of the Psychic Wars to be leading the poll either. I thought (Don't Fear) The Reaper would win it easily, although my poll predictions usually turn out to be wrong. Smile

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:19
Black Blade is on cultosaurus right?

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:37
Subhuman
Fire of Unknown Origin
Screams
After Dark

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:48
Lyrically, Blue Oyster Cult's first three albums make most prog rock seem dumb.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:47

Disagree, but I'm also surprised to see it in first place.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Black Blade is on cultosaurus right?

First song.

-------------

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:48
With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high-tension wires down

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:57
As a companion of sorts to Godzilla, I recently came across this instrumental "Gamera is Missing" by Buck Dharma.

Let's hear it for the giant turtle monster!

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 13 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Disagree, but I'm also surprised to see it in first place.
same.
Guess it’s the song that made me a fan (via the Heavy Metal soundtrack).

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: zeuhl1
Date Posted: June 13 2020 at 14:30
1. Astronomy
2. Black Blade
3. ME 262
4. Don't Fear the Reaper
5. Dominance and Submission

Date Posted: June 13 2020 at 15:34

1. Veteran of the Psychic Wars (30 points)
1. Astronomy (30 points) - All versions
3. (Don't Fear) The Reaper (22 points)
4. Dominance and Submission (21 points)
5. Black Blade (15 points)

6. Cities on Flame (11 points)
6. Flaming Telepaths (11 points) 
8. The Vigil (9 points)
8. The Subhuman (9 points)

Date Posted: June 13 2020 at 16:04

8. The Vigil (9 points)

at the risk of being tossed put on my ass by my better half I'd agree... not that it is overrated... nothing by BOC really is overrated and is a great song.. but one of so so many but agreed that it simply doesn't hold a candle to their earlier stuff but that is just me. I tend to like my bands lean and hungry and full of fire rather than fat, rich and full of coke. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 12:21

at the risk of being tossed put on my ass by my better half I'd agree... not that it is overrated... nothing by BOC really is overrated and is a great song.. but one of so so many but agreed that it simply doesn't hold a candle to their earlier stuff but that is just me. I tend to like my bands lean and hungry and full of fire rather than fat, rich and full of coke.

Got something against melodies, do ya! LOL

I like how the band evolved. Then again, I love '80s Rush. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:01
oh man.. that isn't fair. Yeah Uncle Ian and hot Auntie Raff did get their claws into me and yes I was fitted for a saucepan for the noggin.

but I haven't gone completely over the edge yet. Living on it..umm hmm.. that's right.. now that is Micky style

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk