Print Page | Close Window

The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123162
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 16:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu
Posted By: Mortte
Subject: The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:05
Again 6 masterpieces, all released in Track-label originally (and it´s UK version of Are You Experienced, so no Purple Haze, Hey Joe & the Wind Cries Mary in that). I believe this time Who has more chance to win! I put now Who´s Next, so I have much easier to vote Hendrix this time.

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:14
Hendrix. A force of nature.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 09:33
Gimme Hendrix!!!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:11
Dahh...Smile

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:37
I get more mileage out of the Who than Jimi. It's just that I prefer their songs; this says nothing about the musicianship.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 11:52
well... the Experience was no Beatles..  

so I'll take the Who albums any day of the week.. and twice on Saturday

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:13
not a huge fan of either but understand their importance---chose The Who 

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:45
Wouldn't having the Who albums my generation, a quick one and Sell Out go against the JHE albums make more sense?

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Wouldn't having the Who albums my generation, a quick one and Sell Out go against the JHE albums make more sense?
And Who you think obviously going to win that poll?

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 12:55
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Dahh...Smile
LOL

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:24
The choice is obvious: just take a look at my profile picture. I'd much rather experience the Jimi Hendrix albums any day of the week and three times on Sunday. Smile

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:44
The Who

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 13:58
Extremely difficult choice

the weaker albums are Tommy and Axis . The only two albums I still listen to are Ladyland and Quadrophenia.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:20
The Who by far. Jimi Hendrix may be a mythical virtuoso and I don't deny his great talent, but unfortunately, he does not hit the right string with me very often.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:30
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

We'll never know. LOL

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 14:31
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The Who by far. Jimi Hendrix may be a mythical virtuoso and I don't deny his great talent, but unfortunately, he does not hit the right string with me very often.

How about the left string? After all, he was left handed. Wink

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 15:13

Yeah, kind of bizarre to compare, particularly since Who's Next (1971) and Quadrophenia (1973) came out after Hendrix died (September 18, 1970).

It should at least be A Quick One (1967), The Who Sell Out (1967) and Tommy (1969) for a more direct reference point to Experience (1967), Axis (1967) and Ladyland (1968). Who knows what Hendrix would have released by the time Quadrophenia came out in 1973.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:12
Hendrix death is and was a great tragedy. yet he deliverd much while he lived. Both units packs a ton of energy which is hardly matched by anyone.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:23
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Hendrix death is and was a great tragedy. yet he deliverd much while he lived. Both units packs a ton of energy which is hardly matched by anyone.

I wouldn't go quite that far..  it would have been interesting to see who Hendrix worked with in the years to come. Face it.. the Experience was a good backing band for the 'show'. but was already obvious before he left that he wanted upgrades around him. I often thought considering the massive massive MASSIVE influence of Sly Stone on what came musically in the 70's.. I think that is the direction he would have moved in..  hell.. nearly everyone else did. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 16:51
Hendrix was brilliantly creative, but one album alone wins this poll for The Who. Who's Next. If that were taken out, then Jimi wins hands down.

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 17:18
Not a fan of either. I simply don't get why people think Hendrix is that good. I always thought at the time that Rory Gallagher was a superior player and nothing I've seen since has changed that in the slightest.

But The Ox was a brilliant bass player by any standards.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 17:53
Who is that Jimi ?

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 19:18
One of the most important rock acts meets another one of the most important rock acts. But The Who means more to me on an emotional level.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 20:36
Without Quadrophenia in the mix, this is probably a toss up. Voted for The Who.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:49
Who's Next is the key here.....none of Jimi's albums had the same level of songwriting..though he was a helluva player.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:08
SHOCK HORROR !! I’ve never listened to a JH Experience album in all my life, and I turn 48 in a week. I’m familiar with some of the things he’s done, but it never really moved me.
I did go through a phase of listening heavily to The Who, but it didn’t last. Entwistle was their weapon, ( Moon to a lesser extent, decent vocals, decent guitar). I once had an old vinyl of Live at Leeds, with all the inserts and trimmings, got rid of it decades ago for pocket change. Just thought I’d mention.

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:27
^Maybe you should try "Axis: Bold As Love" if not want to go immediately his greatest album "Electric Ladyland" that is double. Both albums have lots of great songs never played on the radio. Although Jimi isn´t your case, it would be kind of "general education" when you seem to be big music fan as I.

I have Live at leeds with all the other stuff, but the greatest missing (Maximum R´n`B poster).

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Who's Next is the key here.....none of Jimi's albums had the same level of songwriting..though he was a helluva player.
Well, I think the most underrated thing with Jimi is how great songwriter he was (specially Axis & Electric proves that). Also, he never played single solo without meaning.

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:34

We'll never know. LOL
Well, now as seeing Who gets the lead here your poll idea wasn´t that bad. But how many here have heard Who´s three first albums?

Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yeah, kind of bizarre to compare, particularly since Who's Next (1971) and Quadrophenia (1973) came out after Hendrix died (September 18, 1970).

It should at least be A Quick One (1967), The Who Sell Out (1967) and Tommy (1969) for a more direct reference point to Experience (1967), Axis (1967) and Ladyland (1968). Who knows what Hendrix would have released by the time Quadrophenia came out in 1973.

Hendrix made genius album right in his debut. I really like "My Generation" & "a Quick One", but they were still just practicing then, first true genius album from the Who was "Sell Out". I would have put it, but after that Beatles vs Who poll I though Who will have lot more possibilities with this poll with this album selection. And after all there are not so many years between those.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 00:25

^Maybe you should try "Axis: Bold As Love" if not want to go immediately his greatest album "Electric Ladyland" that is double. Both albums have lots of great songs never played on the radio. Although Jimi isn´t your case, it would be kind of "general education" when you seem to be big music fan as I.

I have Live at leeds with all the other stuff, but the greatest missing (Maximum R´n`B poster).
i think I had all but the poster. Didn’t change a thing, the music was average at best.

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 01:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

i think I had all but the poster. Didn’t change a thing, the music was average at best.
Well, collector is a collector. If I just cared only the music, I would sell all my vinyls away and just listened music from spotify & youtube (which I do also a lot), although I think I´ve got some vinyls that can´t found at least those places from the net. Anyway I think I will buy someday Leeds that has also that poster...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 02:54
I really really like The Who...but I love Jimi.
These days though I’m reaching for Band Of Gypsys, South Saturn Delta as well as the boxset.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 04:03

Have to agree with this. I know it's just a bit of fun etc but cherry picking albums from a 56 year career versus a truncated 4 year career seems less than even handed. There are brilliant tracks on the first three Who albums and also the three Experience albums but Pete Townshend was only 22 when he recorded the Who Sell Out and this is betrayed in the unevenness of some of the material, while Jimi was 26 for Electric Ladyland and seemed considerably more fully formed as a writer and performer.
None of his contemporaries could even dream of competing with Hendrix as a guitar player but for me, Pete's later songwriting and daring musical ambition as evidenced by Who's Next, Tommy and Quadrophenia had progressed to far beyond what Jimi had been capable of earlier. It's also a given that anyone writing a history of the electric guitar would have to devote many pages to Jimi Hendrix. That said, anyone writing the history of Rock will have to devote considerably more to Pete Townshend and the Who. BTW this might make me a tad niche, but my favourite thing about Hendrix is his voice. Some say it's weak and he's on record as stating he loathed his own singing, but I think it plaintive, sincere and emotes a vulnerability completely at odds with his instrumental genius on the guitar.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 04:20

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

How about the left string? After all, he was left handed. Wink

You're obviously right !

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 04:37
Tommy / Who´s Next / Quadrophenia.  As was mentioned "Who's Next" makes this almost immposible to beat but for me the choice would have been much harder if for Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys" had been included.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:31
I'd pick up a Hendrix record before a Who record 9 times out of 10, and I say this as a bass player that enjoys Entwistle's chops.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 05:48
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Have to agree with this. I know it's just a bit of fun etc but cherry picking albums from a 56 year career versus a truncated 4 year career seems less than even handed. There are brilliant tracks on the first three Who albums and also the three Experience albums but Pete Townshend was only 22 when he recorded the Who Sell Out and this is betrayed in the unevenness of some of the material, while Jimi was 26 for Electric Ladyland and seemed considerably more fully formed as a writer and performer.
None of his contemporaries could even dream of competing with Hendrix as a guitar player but for me, Pete's later songwriting and daring musical ambition as evidenced by Who's Next, Tommy and Quadrophenia had progressed to far beyond what Jimi had been capable of earlier. It's also a given that anyone writing a history of the electric guitar would have to devote many pages to Jimi Hendrix. That said, anyone writing the history of Rock will have to devote considerably more to Pete Townshend and the Who. BTW this might make me a tad niche, but my favourite thing about Hendrix is his voice. Some say it's weak and he's on record as stating he loathed his own singing, but I think it plaintive, sincere and emotes a vulnerability completely at odds with his instrumental genius on the guitar.
I disagree with songwriting, I think Jimi was as great songwriter already in the begin that Pete started to be in "The Who Sell Out" & later (just listen for example Jimi`s third single "The Wind Cries Mary"), but agree with his vocals, to me Jimi was equally as great guitar player, singer & songwriter. No-one can of course know what he would have done if he had lived.

Also, when looking this poll there seem to be quite many with me who thinks those Experience albums are better than those later Who-albums. To those who thinks this is unfair poll from the begin...this is just fun, not deathly serious.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 08:04
While I always considered Hendrix's studio albums to be very good in terms of songwriting and arrangements I think his playing was restrained. You just have to listen to a few live shows to see that there's a huge difference between live and studio, nothing that he recorded in the studio could ever come close to live versions of his material.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: June 07 2020 at 20:51
Easy choice for me. It's The Who. This takes nothing away from the greatest guitarist of all time who can do no wrong.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:31
Tommy I can take or leave beyond the odd track here and there - but either of Who's Next and Quadrophenia alone gives The Who my vote.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:48
If you'd have included the 1st 3 Who albums rather than the ones that you did, I would have voted for The Who over The Experience.  But the last Who album that I really love is Sell Out.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 20:31
Hendrix was a wicked talent but never was able to harness his energy into making a great rock album.....he was just getting interesting beyond the gimmicks and flash when he died.  Rainbow Bridge and Band of Gypsies are, to me, his most listenable albums - both made just before he passed.  

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 23:56
^Each of his own, but I think three first Experience albums are all time greatest albums, as also Who´s Sell Out, Tommy & Quadrophenia. To me Hendrix was at first great composer and arranger.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: August 09 2020 at 05:24
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Hendrix was a wicked talent but never was able to harness his energy into making a great rock album.....he was just getting interesting beyond the gimmicks and flash when he died.  Rainbow Bridge and Band of Gypsies are, to me, his most listenable albums - both made just before he passed.  

You'll enjoy First Rays of the New Rising Sun. I really want to get the live box set of his Band of Gypsies shows. The second night he apparently plays his guitar clean.
Surprised there hasn't been a documentary about Mike Jeffrey breaking up both The Experience and Band of Gypsies. I feel they should have had an actual studio album. But live they were the peak Hendrix ticket. Many guitarists since play as well or even faster than Hendrix. But they just don't seem to have the heart or mindset of Jimi.
This poll is heartbreaking and first three Experience albums against the actual first three albums from The Who, Beatles,Pink Floyd or Genesis would be bloodshed!

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: August 09 2020 at 06:05
I listen to the Who far more than Hendrix. Not to say I don't like hendrix because I do, but The Who is more entertaining for me.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:12
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

This poll is heartbreaking and first three Experience albums against the actual first three albums from The Who, Beatles,Pink Floyd or Genesis would be bloodshed!
I believe you´re right with the Beatles (haha) & the Who, but not so sure about Floyd´s & Genesis three first. There are fans of Piper, Saucerful & More, also second & third album of Genesis are in big favour of many. Hendrix really isn´t the big one here excluding few exceptions. As you can also read from the Intruder´s comment.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 05:23
RUX = Sell Out. Electric Ladyland > Tommy. Axis > A Quick One.

I suppose if the Who classic were paired against the JH albums Alan Douglas immortalised ...

Quadrophenia and Who's Next smoke the rest... Although Cry Of Love fitted in just nicely thank you very much. And Rainbow Bridge..

Band of Gypsys vs Live At Leeds..? Not much tops Machine Gun... not even on that Who album...

Posted By: Boboulo
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 05:42
Voted The Who.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:11
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Tommy I can take or leave beyond the odd track here and there - but either of Who's Next and Quadrophenia alone gives The Who my vote.

Hi,

TOMMY makes sense for the time it came up ... it might not be as valuable or as great today, but it did bring with it some songs that are remembered quite well ... the moment in the Woodstock film, being one of the great memorable seconds in that film.

Jimi is very valuable, and his interpretation of many pieces is excellent, but as a music "innovator", I would say that Jimi had more to give and show than THE WHO did ... and that's not to say that THE WHO were not a great band ... they were.

Tough poll, but Jimi gets my vote. It's hard to disagree with the guitar playing in things like Purple Haze, and All Along the Watchtower ... it's monstrous in their conception alone!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 10:37
Seems some feel as I do about Tommy........when I was a teen that album just seemed so strange to me. Of course the movie was a chore to watch, still today. But the album is one of those if I don't play it ever, I'd be fine with it.

Jimi on the other hand......I spin everything by Jimi.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 00:53
Both musicians have there place in the historical elements of changing how music was created and i like both but because of the sheer iconic three albums its the The Who 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 09:39
The Who especially for Quadrophenia

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 17 2022 at 05:29
Hendrix
I've always listened to him more than The Who. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 17 2022 at 08:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I often thought considering the massive massive MASSIVE influence of Sly Stone on what came musically in the 70's.. I think that is the direction he would have moved in..  hell.. nearly everyone else did. 

Hi,

The only influence I will credit Sly and the Family Stone for is his helping me get my head bashed in Chicago, when his band did not show up and the fans got restless! It pretty much destroyed the whole idea/thing he did in Woodstock, as just a stoned infectious disease.

Sorry ... 

The poll itself, I think that Jimi was a much stronger influence all around. In many ways The Who became the "darlings" in the English media to make sure the Americans did not get better/top billing! But I do think that THE HOW had a lot of very nice things, and Tommy was something I enjoyed a lot, but later, and help me lead to the European progressive music scene that was far more interesting to listen to than just "hits" all around.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: January 17 2022 at 09:06
Hendrix by far. I've never cared for the Who and believe me I've tried. 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 17 2022 at 09:30
Everything about Jimi Hendrix excites me more than The Who - including his singing and songwriting skills. The Who is nice but I think Jimi belongs on another artistic level.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 17 2022 at 11:03
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I can't remember what I've voted (see below)....
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Extremely difficult choice

the weaker albums are Tommy and Axis . The only two albums I still listen to are Ladyland and Quadrophenia.

but it's still very difficult
I prefer RUXp to Tommy, and I prefer Next to Axis. so it's tied or on par
So it's down to Quadro and LadylandLOL
I'm really tempted to say JHE, but I can't be sure what I voted back in autumn.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: February 04 2022 at 16:03

^^ same here..  Clap

Not really much into The Who..

On the other hand, I'm a great Jimi fan, play guitar since long (even at one time in school with a couple guys we kind of covered his amazing rendition of 'Born Under a Bad Sign' from the Blues album for some activity).

Tons of love for Jimi around here; some friend introduced us back then (mid 90's) to Band of Gypsies and that also was a milestone.. it blew us away.

Another favorite is 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun'.

About the three mentioned, I like them all; recently with a bias toward Electric Ladyland. Then it would come the great Axis and then AYE, both of which I have on cd.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 04 2022 at 16:14
It's like comparing the greatest street food you've ever had to a six-course gourmet meal.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk