Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123272
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 23:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TV shows you most recently finished watching
Posted By: Logan
Subject: TV shows you most recently finished watching
Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 12:48
TV shows you most recently finished watching, at least until the latest "season", or "series" in the British sense.

While I had seen some of it, I was really late to the party with watching through Twin Peaks. I loved it. I have a subscription to something called Crave with HBO and Showtime on demand, they have the 2017 return series, but I wanted to go back and watch all of the first two seasons (1990) and the 1992 movie Fire Walk with Me (still have that to see).

The first season I adored, the second season was spotty but I enjoyed much more than many, and I thought the third season was quite brilliant (it would test many people's patience). Kyle MacLachlan really shone in that. And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach! Oh wait, sorry, that's Dune.

Before that I pretty much binged The Wactchmen's first series, which I loved too, and is quite timely. I liked the movie version very much.

I thought about doing this as a Twin Peaks appreciation thread, but I only know of a few at PA who have been really into it. Going to watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me soon.

What are some of your most recently completed (at least up to now) TV series?

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: projeKct
Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:01
Due SouthShocked Complete series from season 1 to 4.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108756/" rel="nofollow - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108756/

Yeah, I know, it's old... and it's Canadian... but it's fun!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:04
Almost too many to name....but a few of my favorites were:
Supernatural, Lucifer, Longmire, Prodigal Son, Evil, Blacklist, etc...

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:25
Bored to Death

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 13:29
^ I like the look of Bored to Death. Longtime admirer of Ted Danson. Gonna look for it.

^^ Longmire is on my list of things to watch.

Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

Due SouthShocked Complete series from season 1 to 4.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108756/" rel="nofollow - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108756/

Yeah, I know, it's old... and it's Canadian... but it's fun!

Well, I'm Canadian, and I finally watched all of the original seasons of Twin Peaks which are four years older as well as the 2017 version. I think it's interesting when one finally watched some classic (had actually thought about approaching this topic from that angle, rather like how I was late to Game of Thrones). I caught some of Due South back in its original run. I hadn't remembered it being that old. Paul Gross's Mountie would have made for an interesting team-up with Kyle MacLachlan's FBI special agent Dale Cooper. Twin Peaks featured a Mountie in season two, but it wasn't Paul Gross. ;)

Watching Twin Peaks finally kind of made me feel like I really miseed out back then, but I wasn't quite at that age or place for Water Cooler type discussions. I was quite embarrassed in one of my Uni classes (playwriting) when everyone was talking about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and they seemed very surprised and wary of me because I hadn't followed Twin Peaks. I lost out on some of my artsy cred that day (not that I ever really had any).

My favourite Canadian shows, by the way, have been The Newsroom, Kids in the Hall and LEXX. And I loved SCTV, and Bizarre, as a kid.

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 15:41
I recently started watching season 3 of Stranger Things.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 16:33
Chernobyl - superb!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 16:44
^ Chernobyl is one I've really been planning to getting down to -- maybe I'll start on that on the weekend since I have it freely available with my HBO on demand subscription service. I actually started on it a few weeks ago, but have been holding off really delving into it. I've heard it being praised very highly.

^^ As for Stranger Things, I binged every season soon after they each came out.

I haven't been watching much TV, other than the News, for quite a while, it's good to be getting back into shows, and Twin Peaks got me excited about TV again, as had Fargo before.

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 17:55
^ My students were really pushing me to watch it, but it's taken me till lockdown to give it the attention it deserved!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: June 18 2020 at 19:35
I finished watching 'His Dark Materials' a while back....very good adaptation of Pullman's first book in the series.
I recommend it. I was a bit disappointed in the film Golden Compass some years back.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Chernobyl - superb!

Watched a few excerpts from it on YouTube Wink, pretty interesting. I was actually born and am currently living like 200 km away from Chernobyl. 

What pleased me mostly about the series was that they showed the ordinary and even some not-so-ordinary Soviet people from their positive side, as great, normal, regular, fine persons. 

However, the coal industry minister in real life was a highly respectable person among coal-miners. He was loved by the workers... And those two soldiers with Kalashnikovs... Speaking of some stereotypes. 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:04
Chernobyl was excellent, I watched it not long after making this topic.

Most recently I finished watching The Third Day with Jude Law (it's only a six episode miniseries).  And before that Raised by Wolves.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:11
Just finished Third day also....watching Supernatural since there are only 3 or 4 episodes left.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:27
In the last two months:
- The West Wing (Superb! A MUST Watch recommendation)
- Scrubs (Still trying to figure out why the end of season eight was touted as a series finale and then they did a season nine which seem to careen off into the weeds from the first eight seasons)

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:10
Just finished the first season of "Raised By Wolves".  Wow!  

The first episode will knock your socks off.  But when you finish it and think back about the first episode, you'll be amazed at the direction the entire series went and you'll realize that first one was only a prelude to what is to come.  Just when you think you know where it's going, it goes somewhere else.  Pretty unpredictable and full of suspense all the way through, especially from episode 5 and beyond.  But by the season finale, you see how most of it all fits together and it leaves you wanting more.  Can't wait for season 2!

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:21
I found Raised by Wolves too bleak for me at one point, stopped watching, but then one sleepless night I returned to it and really appreciated it. It's very well done and also look forward to the next season. HBO is very impressive. I have found myself watching my Crave/ HBO/ Showtime Hub more than Netflix (various many Netflix shows feel like they have too many cooks concocting stuff based on what they think they know about the audience to me -- exercises in test marketing or some such thing, as opposed to more auteur visions, if you know what I mean) .

I don't currently have Prime, but I want to watch the second season of the Boys when I can. Not finished, it's still going on, but I watched the first episode of the new series of Fargo the other day (season four with Chris Rock),

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 11:39
I've been working on sci-fi series that I missed when they were originally on the air. I finished watching Firefly and the follow-up Serenity film about a month ago. Currently watching Farscape and just finished season 2.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I've been working on sci-fi series that I missed when they were originally on the air. I finished watching Firefly and the follow-up Serenity film about a month ago. Currently watching Farscape and just finished season 2.

As you like Farscape, have you tried LEXX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRe4nl8ugM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRe4nl8ugM

Before joining this forum, I was a member of the Lexx forum (as FunkET just in case anyone from there amazingly stumbles upon this),

-------------

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:48
^ Oh LEXX. One of a kind show!

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:57
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ Oh LEXX. One of a kind show!

It's perverse, dark, funny and sexy. Rather like the debates here on "Which is better, Yes or Genesis?", we would debate "Who is hotter, Zev (Eva Habermann) or Xev (Xenia Seeburg)?" Then there was bowl of goo Zev which got me going.

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I found Raised by Wolves too bleak for me at one point, stopped watching, but then one sleepless night I returned to it and really appreciated it. It's very well done and also look forward to the next season. HBO is very impressive. I have found myself watching my Crave/ HBO/ Showtime Hub more than Netflix (various many Netflix shows feel like they have too many cooks concocting stuff based on what they think they know about the audience to me -- exercises in test marketing or some such thing, as opposed to more auteur visions, if you know what I mean) .

I don't currently have Prime, but I want to watch the second season of the Boys when I can. Not finished, it's still going on, but I watched the first episode of the new series of Fargo the other day (season four with Chris Rock),

Yes RBW was quite bleak, but I was determined to stay with it and about half-way through I was completely hooked.  I have The Boys on my must-watch list, but haven't started it yet, but have high expectations, so we'll see.  

I have been a big fan of the Fargo series, but haven't started the new season yet....

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 14:18

Yessss....Firefly!  Let's protest until they finally bring it back.....okay so maybe by now that is a bit far fetched, but i can always hope.

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 16:00

As you like Farscape, have you tried LEXX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRe4nl8ugM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFRe4nl8ugM

Before joining this forum, I was a member of the Lexx forum (as FunkET just in case anyone from there amazingly stumbles upon this),

No, I haven't. Thanks much for the recommendation! Thumbs Up

-------------
----------

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Yessss....Firefly!  Let's protest until they finally bring it back.....okay so maybe by now that is a bit far fetched, but i can always hope.

Somewhere in a parallel universe Whedon was allowed to have Firefly run for the seven years he planned on. I need to find that wormhole that will take me to that parallel universe.

-------------
----------

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 18:14

Somewhere in a parallel universe Whedon was allowed to have Firefly run for the seven years he planned on. I need to find that wormhole that will take me to that parallel universe.

At least you got Serenity. I had no luck in getting Galactica 1980 to continue with Galactica 1981, or more Manimal: "Manimal is back, and he's more Manimal than ever." Just too much Manimal to handle, I guess. Damned speciesists.

Ive always been meaning to give Firefly a proper shot (seen like one episode).

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 11:37

At least you got Serenity. I had no luck in getting Galactica 1980 to continue with Galactica 1981, or more Manimal: "Manimal is back, and he's more Manimal than ever." Just too much Manimal to handle, I guess. Damned speciesists.

Ive always been meaning to give Firefly a proper shot (seen like one episode).

I definitely would have enjoyed more of Galactica. Always thought that they should have expanded on Robert Reed's character and made it a recurring role.

Firefly is well-worth watching. Like a lot of the better sci-fi series, it gets better with each episode.

-------------
----------

Posted By: Spaciousmind
Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:36
Last one watched was Picard.

Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:55
^ Yep, Robert Reed was a highlight. For any badness (and I rather like the badness), it had potential.

Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

While very bittersweet, I loved Picard. It had a heart and it moved me. I thought it to be a very good continuation. I found it heartfelt, poignant, and the way it dealt with frailty and mortality was meaningful.

Other than Twin Peaks: The Return, it's my favourite sort of continuation of an old show (or revival of characters) in recent memory that I can think of.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 13:16

^ Yep, Robert Reed was a highlight. For any badness (and I rather like the badness), it had potential.

While very bittersweet, I loved Picard. It had a heart and it moved me. I thought it to be a very good continuation. I found it heartfelt, poignant, and the way it dealt with frailty and mortality was meaningful.

Other than Twin Peaks: The Return, it's my favourite sort of continuation of an old show (or revival of characters) in recent memory that I can think of.

Yes I found it exactly the same, sad to see the aging but happy to see some of the characters on screen again and I also thought it was very well made.

I also enjoyed binge watching just before I watched Picard, ST Discovery.  Season 3 just started here in the US.

I am starting to wonder are all prog fans also SciFi fans?

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 13:24
Watching The Expanse now. Haven't finished/caught up yet. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 01:47
I watch a lot of stuff so have a hard time actually finishing anything. Currently got about 20-30 TV shows on the go which is normal for me.

I finished Future Man not long ago. Its a Seth Rogen thing that ran out of steam even though he injected himself into it to try and give it some momentum. At least it had a proper 'burial' so to speak and the story was concluded. 3 seasons of half hour episodes so easy to watch if you have a bit of time to kill.

I remember being a bit sad when I finished the 3rd season of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. An absolute gem of a show that I would recommend to anyone. Has some of the funniest stuff I've seen for a long time and great chemistry between the lead actors. Alex Borstein (playing Mrs Maisel's agent) is the hidden star of the whole thing. Check it out.

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

{EDIT} The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. An absolute gem of a show that I would recommend to anyone. Has some of the funniest stuff I've seen for a long time and great chemistry between the lead actors. Alex Borstein (playing Mrs Maisel's agent) is the hidden star of the whole thing. Check it out.
Seconded ! Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:24
I watched the first episode and concluded Mrs. Maisel wasn't for me, so haven't gone back.  LOL

With current TV, I've been watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and am down to the last 4 or 5 episodes recorded on my DVR.   On Netflix, I've been watching Deep Space Nine.  I just finished Season 3 this past weekend.  I tend to stick with CBS and watch their 1st run shows, but since the new seasons haven't started yet, I've not been watching that much TV.  With DS9, it seems as though I might sit down and watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time and then not watch again for 2 or 3 weeks.  

-------------

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:37
Just finished re-watching the first three series of The Bridge. Now got to wait for the BBC to air Series 4 again Cry

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:33
^ True Detective and Silicon Valley have been on my to see list for a long time.

Yes I found it exactly the same, sad to see the aging but happy to see some of the characters on screen again and I also thought it was very well made.

I also enjoyed binge watching just before I watched Picard, ST Discovery.  Season 3 just started here in the US.

I am starting to wonder are all prog fans also SciFi fans?

A lot certainly are, but then I think that an awful lot of people who like to visit web forums are (and are into the "fantastic" including fantasy and sci-fi genres which overlap). Prog tends to appeal to a certain geeky mindset.

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Just finished re-watching the first three series of The Bridge. Now got to wait for the BBC to air Series 4 again Cry

I find The Bridge so very good and yet still have yet to see series four. We had it her on Netflix Canada, but then they removed it. Borgen is one I'm on now (though I'd already seen much of it).

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:07

I find The Bridge so very good and yet still have yet to see series four. We had it her on Netflix Canada, but then they removed it. Borgen is one I'm on now (though I'd already seen much of it).

The good news is that they're planning a new series of Borgen with the original cast.

The bad news is that it's coming in 2022 Cry

Date Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:59

A lot certainly are, but then I think that an awful lot of people who like to visit web forums are (and are into the "fantastic" including fantasy and sci-fi genres which overlap). Prog tends to appeal to a certain geeky mindset.

Oh that would lead me to bunches of other questions I would want to ask for curiosity :)

1) How many of us geeks bought the first early 80s computers and which was it?
For UK:
Commodore
Sinclair
Amstrad
MSX
Other
USA: TRS80
Apple
TI99
IBM/Mac
Other
Was it for games or for home/school/business.... (I suspect primarily the first :) )

2) Do we play board games or card games like Magic the Gathering or even chess?

Questions.... .questions.... questions...

Date Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:15
I'm in Canada and my first early 80s computer was a Sinclair (my next computer was a Commodore 64 in maybe 85). School and games, mostly games, and I liked programming.

I like board games and card games. Chess was always my main game. I play with my son, but he, 13, always beats me now. He has become better and I have got worse. And I loved Bridge. I also play Cribbage with the wife now and then.

Other than that, I will happily play a game of Risk now and then, and was quite into D&D when I was young.

I never considered myself to be a real geek due to my less than satisfactory grades in mathematics, and I spent my time in high school hanging out much more with the stoners than the nerds. I would have liked to be in both camps: a doobie in one hand and an advanced calculus book in the other. :)

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:40
Thanks Logan.

Ok then.  Here is a little about me.  I also don't consider myself a geek.  But I am kind of geeky in my hobbies besides music.

I love chess but over the years more so electronic chess.  Have a huge collection of electronic chess computers.  This is my site which I hope I can share for curiosity since it has nothing to do with music:

http://www.spacious-mind.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.spacious-mind.com/

As a result of electronic chess computers I also have a big collection of old computers.  Starting with zx81 or Vic 20 and other equivalents upwards... pretty much all the makes really UK and US to the Amigas and Atari St's and beyond... and all for chess :)

So other than chess books I also like SF/Fantasy... but more so SF than Fantasy.  Other board games and card games, MTG.  Have not played cribbage since I moved from England.

btw... the website name is kind of coincidental to the Band Spaciousmind who by the way I also like a lot.  Its funny in a search for years both have popped up next to each other.

Well that's a summary of all my geekiness.  btw I also used to love football (soccer) a lot as well.

Nick

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:56
I wasn't around in the early 80's (my father had a Commodore though) but I'm a programmer, love SF and board games. Speaking of Firefly, I played the board game a few weeks ago. It's always a memorable experience, it makes up for the lack of seasons ;)

Date Posted: October 31 2020 at 19:14
I just finished watching the mini-series "The Queens Gambit" on Netflix.  It was surprisingly good.  Worth watching.

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:11
^ I've only watched the first episode so far. I wanted to check the Chess was 'correct' and pleased to report that it was! Also the appearance of an actual chess Grandmaster (Hikaru Nakamura) was a nice touch . I think they may be trying to draw some comparison with Bobby Fisher but I need to watch more to see if that's the case. BTW check out Pawn Sacrifice on Amazon Prime TV. A very good dramatic retelling of the 1972 Spassky v Fisher world championship match and the events leading up to it.

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:15
Just finished The Witcher. I feel a bit short changed with only 8 episodes. Entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. No idea what it was all about though.

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 05:20

^ I've only watched the first episode so far. I wanted to check the Chess was 'correct' and pleased to report that it was! Also the appearance of an actual chess Grandmaster (Hikaru Nakamura) was a nice touch . I think they may be trying to draw some comparison with Bobby Fisher but I need to watch more to see if that's the case. BTW check out Pawn Sacrifice on Amazon Prime TV. A very good dramatic retelling of the 1972 Spassky v Fisher world championship match and the events leading up to it.

Yes, besides the story being good which since you are on episode 1, I won't give away.  I also enjoyed proper moves being played throughout and proper openings being mentioned.

Yes I saw Pawn Sacrifice, it is very good too.

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 07:07

Just finished The Witcher. I feel a bit short changed with only 8 episodes. Entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. No idea what it was all about though.

They are supposed to be making a season 2 of The Witcher.

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:25
Didn't want to start a whole thread on this so I though I'd just ask here...

Is anyone here watching Star Trek Discovery?
We watched the first three episodes of season 3 last night and both my wife and I found it to be overly sentimental tripe. Gone was the intrigue, mystery, tension, excitement, just about everything we loved about the first two seasons. I have a deep fear this season may be a death knell if they don't do some quick self correction.
Thoughts?

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:46

It's a lot of information to process if you're not familiar with the lore. I played the video games before but I watched the first few episodes with family and I was wondering if they were understanding any of it.

The other day I finished a really good Finnish spy show, Nyrkki (Shadow Lines). It's set in the 50's where Finland had to deal with great political tension, as the Americans and Soviets were trying to manipulate the country's presidential elections and the secret police had to sabotage their plans. I liked that there isn't a good side, just characters that are more despicable than others in every faction.

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:57
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

We watched the first three episodes of season 3 last night and both my wife and I found it to be overly sentimental tripe. Gone was the intrigue, mystery, tension, excitement, just about everything we loved about the first two seasons. I have a deep fear this season may be a death knell if they don't do some quick self correction.
Thoughts?

I watched the first two seasons but have not gotten around to season 3.  Thanks for the warning :)

Date Posted: November 04 2020 at 01:05

Yes, besides the story being good which since you are on episode 1, I won't give away.  I also enjoyed proper moves being played throughout and proper openings being mentioned.

Yes I saw Pawn Sacrifice, it is very good too.

Glad you like that as well.

BTW I was getting confused about Nakumara appearing in Queen Gambit , it was actually an episode of Billions!LOL

Date Posted: November 04 2020 at 01:14

Thoughts?

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It certainly has a more playful and lighter touch and I do like the casting of British actor David Ajala and I think much of the first 3 episodes is just allowing you to get re-acquainted with the characters as it's been so long since Season 2 aired. I had even thought it was finished to be honest so I'm pleased that there are any new episodes . I would give it a chance before giving up on it just yet.

Date Posted: November 09 2020 at 03:46
^ I thought episode 4 was fantastic , hopefully that's allied fears of it's decline. Very much in the classic Star Trek tradition I felt.

Just finished The Third Day. Enjoyed it a lot , pleased to see the characters making reasonable choices and doing what they had to do. Maybe a slight criticism may be the 'Hollywood ending' but that didn't spoil it for me.

Date Posted: November 09 2020 at 06:19
^Still a little touchy feely for the Mrs and me.
I guess it's nice that they're drawing more on the canon (Trill's) but again...a little a sappy. The human/symbiant could have been a better story if it had been an experiment (a la Josef Mengele) where some rogue symbiant was trying to cut the trills out of the picture for some dark reason. It would also have given a fodder of future stories as the Adira sybiant comes to terms with that violation in concert with past lives.

But that's just me, I'm not a writer or producer of the show.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2020 at 04:47
I guess you prefer to have your sci-fi a bit darker in tone. It's certainly going out of it's way at the moment to reinforce the idea of Discovery being a family and sticking together through thick and thin. I wonder if it's taking it's cue a little from The Orville. Would be a tad ironic if so!

Date Posted: November 10 2020 at 05:02
Darker or more realistic?
I'm one of those people that thought DS9 up the ante and brought ST into the realms of great Sci-Fi.
I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orville but couldn't get past the first few episode.

-------------

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: November 10 2020 at 07:36
Recently finished:

The Third Day - loved it 9/10
Helstrom - OK, but dragged a bit in places. 7/10
The Lost Room from 2006. Great story and ending. A bit dated now though 8/10

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: November 11 2020 at 02:10

I'm one of those people that thought DS9 up the ante and brought ST into the realms of great Sci-Fi.
I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orville but couldn't get past the first few episode.

This is where I may take a issue a bit . Writers can push the story in any direction and there is nothing more 'realistic' about one storyline compared to another. I take this view with any genre not just sci-fi by the way. That said I can't stand Star Wars for the very reason that is complete and utter nonsense. It's not sci-fi but rather space fantasy which is a total different genre.  I would agree there has to be some sense of reality but that doesn't mean always that bad things must always happen. 

I love The Orville . Its been described as a spoof but Seth McFarlane clearly loves his sci-fi and the writing is tight.

Battlestar Galactica ( I presume what BSG stands for) . Never watched it as it always looked a bit Star Wars like.Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2020 at 02:47
Series 1 of 'His Dark Materials' on BBC iPlayer. Just brilliant!!

Series 2 started last Sunday on BBC TV.

Date Posted: November 11 2020 at 05:20

I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orvillebut couldn't get past the first few episode.
This is where I may take a issue a bit . Writers can push the story in any direction and there is nothing more 'realistic' about one storyline compared to another. I take this view with any genre not just sci-fi by the way. That said I can't stand Star Wars for the very reason that is complete and utter nonsense. It's not sci-fi but rather space fantasy which is a total different genre.  I would agree there has to be some sense of reality but that doesn't mean always that bad things must always happen. 

I love The Orville . Its been described as a spoof but Seth McFarlane clearly loves his sci-fi and the writing is tight.

Battlestar Galactica ( I presume what BSG stands for) . Never watched it as it always looked a bit Star Wars like.Smile

Not a Star Wars fan either really. I mean the original trilogy was good (back in the day). But since then they just keep rehashing the exact same story...YAWN. As for Seth's show I suspect it's sort of like Will Farrell, you either love his stuff or hate it. I'm in the latter.

Yes, BSG is Battlestar Galactica. But it's much more of a political drama with religious subtext (and to honest, text) than Star Wars could ever hope to be. Give it a shot.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2020 at 11:10

I appreciate Rodenberry's desire to paint a more idealistic view of the future but ST-TOS was far better than Next-Gen as far as the human/alien conflict stories go. When BSG (2004) came out I was ecstatic. I tried watching The Orvillebut couldn't get past the first few episode.

Not a Star Wars fan either really. I mean the original trilogy was good (back in the day). But since then they just keep rehashing the exact same story...YAWN. As for Seth's show I suspect it's sort of like Will Farrell, you either love his stuff or hate it. I'm in the latter.

Yes, BSG is Battlestar Galactica. But it's much more of a political drama with religious subtext (and to honest, text) than Star Wars could ever hope to be. Give it a shot.

Sounds interesting Thumbs Up

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: November 13 2020 at 11:19
I'm currently watching the Russian TV series:- "Soviet Storm: World War II in the East."

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 14 2020 at 02:20

I just finished watching the mini-series "The Queens Gambit" on Netflix.  It was surprisingly good.  Worth watching.

Just finished watching it and yes, I too loved it. 

Date Posted: November 14 2020 at 02:23
Finished The Umbrella Academy Season 1 and Riviera.

Enjoyed Riviera mainly for the locations ( Monaco , Venice and Buenos Aires) . The plot was suitably silly. Enjoyable escapist nonsense for a Friday night.

The Umbrella Academy was a bit of chore at times. I did love the story arc of Ellen Page's character that was just enough to keep me interested.

Date Posted: November 17 2020 at 09:59
No one has mentioned 'Pennyworth'.
Both the Mrs and I really, really enjoyed it. Best DC offering I think I've ever seen. Even Nolan's Batman trilogy.
I hope they keep up the standard for season 2.

-------------

Date Posted: November 17 2020 at 10:06
Silicon Valley was brilliantly hilarious. Especially for those of us familiar with that part of the world. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 17 2020 at 10:18

I just finished watching BSG a few months ago. Thought it was great, I even got my wife in to it & watched it all again. 

Have you checked out The Expanse?  Very good show. The first season is a little slow but once everything comes together it gets really good. Plus it looks absolutely amazing, great effects.

Date Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:27

Both the Mrs and I really, really enjoyed it. Best DC offering I think I've ever seen. Even Nolan's Batman trilogy.

that's quite a recommendation. I expect I will watch it now that I have a Starzplay subscription.

Talking of Starzplay , if you like a good crime drama then check out The Godfather Of Harlem. Features Forest Whitaker in the main role and also Giancarlo Esposito (Gus in Breaking Bad) as a 'Bible basher' , ,Vincent D'Nofrio and also Paul Sorvino as his Mafia boss. Very enjoyable 'period sixties drama' about the tensions between the Mafia and Whitakers's character seeking to take back his territory after coming out of prison. If that cast doesn't get you drooling then nothing else will.Smile

Date Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:31
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I just finished watching BSG a few months ago. Thought it was great, I even got my wife in to it & watched it all again. 

Have you checked out The Expanse?  Very good show. The first season is a little slow but once everything comes together it gets really good. Plus it looks absolutely amazing, great effects.

indeed , excellent sci-fi show although it took a bit of downtown for me when Thomas Jane's character was reduced to being a 'ghost'.

Date Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:32
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Silicon Valley was brilliantly hilarious. Especially for those of us familiar with that part of the world. 

absolutely loved that Clap

Date Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:19
I have been meaning to watch Queen’s Gambit.   I recently finished watching season one of His Dark Materials, and been watching series two. I have been enjoying this show considerably.

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2020 at 10:35
I just finished The Queen's Gambit too.  Quite an enjoyable show that honestly I didn't want to end.  It was a very pleasant surprise as I went into it not expecting much, yet it ends up being one of the best this year I believe.  

I watched His Dark Materials last year and finished season 1 but I haven't started watching season 2 yet.  I'm trying to catch up on a few others, but it's good to hear it's still enjoyable.

I found the two documentary series about the Nixium cult quite fascinating ("The Vow" and "Seduced").  They both lend a lot of insight into how people can get brainwashed into thinking strange beliefs and odd behavior can be "normal" in their eyes.  It's quite shocking what people can get bluffed into.  The great thing about both of these shows is that there is a ton of inside video since "Vangard" (Keith Ranier) wanted to record everything.

-------------

Date Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:08

I have been meaning to watch Queen’s Gambit.   I recently finished watching season one of His Dark Materials, and been watching series two. I have been enjoying this show considerably.

Also a fan of Dark Materials....read the book series a few years back. It's well done.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 25 2020 at 15:10

Fan of Pennyworth...really enjoyed season 1,,,hope 2 is as good.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 25 2020 at 17:18
Thumbs Up  Right on !
Spread the word.

-------------

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: November 26 2020 at 06:58
The Queen's Gambit.

Not a fan of chess, but I've liked everything that Anya Taylor-Joy has ever been in.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: jjuliajul11
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 13:23
Chernobyl 10\10

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:04
Deadwater Fall     - Grim small-town intrigue, well produced.  Not bad, not great.

The Crown  Season 3    - Nice to see Josh O'Connor (The Durrells in Corfu) enhancing this ever-changing series and continue to emerge as a wonderful young actor.

The Days & Nights of Molly Dodd     Now here's a treat from the past with Blair Brown as a quirky 1980s New Yorker who is fascinated by off-beat people but can't seem to meet the right man.   Unusual, even eccentric, for a network show at that time.   Think Annie Hall meets Crossing Delancey.

The Bachelorette     Always hated this show, still do.  But this season is too hard to ignore as the original 'lady' left soon after the season began and had to be replaced by a stronger and more interesting woman.   Oh yeah, I went there.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:27
Season 4 of Fargo. It's OK, but in my opinion the weakest of the 4 series so far.

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:38
My wife & I went back and watched The Practice again.  It's been almost 20 years so it was almost like watching it for the first time. I forgot how good this show was. It's on Hulu if anyone is interested  in checking it out. 

Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

My wife & I went back and watched The Practice again.  It's been almost 20 years so it was almost like watching it for the first time. I forgot how good this show was. It's on Hulu if anyone is interested  in checking it out. 

A case of Practice makes perfect ? Tongue

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:17
I just finished watching the entire two seasons of Why Planes Crash on YouTube, even though most of the episodes are listed erroneously on YouTube as Air Crash Investigation. Wacko

Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 14:45
Here's another great suggestion that we just....

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Finished watching.

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2020 at 06:53
Legion Season 3
A weaker offering than the first two seasons IMHO.
Like Star Trek Discovery, it seems to have had less than stellar  writing.

Six Feet Under
My wife was bugging me to watch this series for the last year or so.
Very enjoyable, although by season 4 it was getting a little heavy.
5 seasons was certainly enough but I would recommend it if you have never seen it.

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 01:56
Billions -Final Season
disappointing ending , did they really intend to throw it away like that. Peaked around season 3 as is often the case with many things. 

Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 07:04
^It's not done yet. they suspended it half way through season 5 due to Covid.
There is still lots of story to go yet.

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 07:30
Just finished Okkupert (Occupied). Was an excellent series but left way too many loose ends. Its a Norwegian/French produced series about an EU backed Russian occupation of Norway, who had ceased oil production in the wake of severe global climate crisis.

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2020 at 00:25

^It's not done yet. they suspended it half way through season 5 due to Covid.
There is still lots of story to go yet.

ok that's a reliefSmile

Date Posted: December 15 2020 at 12:32
Treadstone -  Bourne diaspora that shows the beginnings of the secret behavior modification program Jason Bourne emerged from.   Not horrible but bromidic, often drags, and is crammed with filler.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: December 16 2020 at 10:24

Just finished 2nd. season of Undercover:

Wonderful Belgian series, of an undercover cop in the ecstasy mob. Beautiful landscapes, two beautiful ladies and a beating plot.

I liked best the 1st. season but only because of the tone, for me both are top-notch.
Netflix.

Inhuman Resources featuring former (great!) soccer player Eric Cantona:

French series; found it very enjoyable. Only 6 chapters on Netflix.

Justo Antes de Cristo (Just Before Christ):

Spanish series; an absurd / Monty Python-esque (not that much) take on Imperial Rome, relating the whereabouts of a disgraced noble, Manio Sempronio, on Thrace with general Cneo Valerio Acquila. Loved it. Laughed a lot! Saw it on Movistar.

Date Posted: December 16 2020 at 10:29
^ Humour on Ancient Rome: Plebs; great show. Especially the first 2 seasons. Recommended. (Though, I watched its first 3 seasons long ago, so not "recent" at all. I've yet to watch its other seasons.)

Date Posted: December 16 2020 at 13:44
Just finished the first season of Counterpart https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/- excellent TV.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2020 at 15:55
^ I found it took a little time to gain some traction. i think they were trying to build the mystery and intrigue.
The second season certainly stepped it up.

Just finished the first season of Barry with Bill Hader and Stephen Root.
1/2 hr episodes with a story line along the lines of Grosse Pointe Blank with John Cusack. But darker with black comedy and holy sh*t moments. Worth checking out. Starting Season 2 tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2020 at 16:46
Stephen Root is an underappreciated talent.   Remember him as the dentist on Louie ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pastemagazine.com%2Fcomedy%2Fstephen-roots-funniest-characters%2F&psig=AOvVaw0bPGI7NG1uiuFDu71vBx8C&ust=1608248744709000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKivm8vX0-0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD" rel="nofollow">Stephen Roots Funniest Characters - Paste

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2020 at 04:55
The new series of The Expanse (5) has just started. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 01:42
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

The new series of The Expanse (5) has just started. Big smile

yep quite excited by that and watched the first episode on Tuesday (think they have put up 3 so far). It tends to go over my head a bit but I imagine fans of sci-fi that incorporates a bit of pseudo political drama such as Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Babylon Five will no doubt love it. For me its the characters and action so it has something for everyone.

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 01:46
Just finished Utopia Season One. Not sure how I feel about it. Bit messy and overly nasty at times but does raise an interesting question or two. Not bothered if Season Two happens (I guess it won't) but will probably watch it if it does.

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 12:16

Just finished Utopia Season One. Not sure how I feel about it. Bit messy and overly nasty at times but does raise an interesting question or two. Not bothered if Season Two happens (I guess it won't) but will probably watch it if it does.

The original UK one or the new one?

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 01:32

The new one which I gather is not as good. I wasn't aware it was a re-boot when I started watching it. I may go back and watch the original at some point.

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:30
Barry Season 2.
Still has my interest, but it definitely got darker.
Bill Hader and Stephen Root are fabulous.

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:50

The new one which I gather is not as good. I wasn't aware it was a re-boot when I started watching it. I may go back and watch the original at some point.

I've only seen the older UK one, but I really enjoyed it. I was going to watch this reboot, but the reviews were pretty poor so passed it over. I would recommend the original though.

-------------

Date Posted: December 25 2020 at 13:38
I've just finished the first and yet only season of Ragnarok (Norway/Denmark). Worth watching, overall. The protagonist is like the mix of a courageous He-Man and a troubled Evan (Ashton Kutcher). I appreciate the blend of modern and ancient cultural elements, as well as the amalgamation of the Nordic and Anglophone/American traits. The pace is not tight, and the characters are not that cautious, but have a better conviction as a result; as befitting the Scandinavian culture. 7/10, so not a bad start at all.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk